PDA

View Full Version : Shirt sponsor .. FTA fan's reps especially.

NAE NOOKIE
11-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Picking up from the kit thread. Every year when our sponsorship is up for grabs there's always a light hearted outcry from Hibs fans to have 7UP as our sponsor.

But if you look at this from a dispassionate corporate standpoint its hard to understand why Hibs never seem to have given serious consideration, that any of us are aware of, to sounding out 7UP's parent company ( Cadbury Shweppes ? ) with a view to a possible sponsorship deal. They are a huge company and I would imagine the amount of money we would be talking about is small beer to them.

Even if the actual deal we could screw out of them was on the average side compared to the likes of Crabbies or Marathon Bet surely the massive boost we would get through shirt sales would compensate for that …. any strip with 7UP on the front would undoubtedly be our biggest selling strip ever, and by some distance I would be willing to bet …… you wouldn't even have to work hard on the design, just a bog standard Pat Stanton era top would do.

Probably too late this time, but can the fans reps shed any light onto two simple questions: 1) Has the club ever made an approach to 7UP? ….. 2) If not why not? ... it seems like a no brainer to me for the reasons given above.

:I'm waiti

Renfrew_Hibby
11-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Picking up from the kit thread. Every year when our sponsorship is up for grabs there's always a light hearted outcry from Hibs fans to have 7UP as our sponsor.

But if you look at this from a dispassionate corporate standpoint its hard to understand why Hibs never seem to have given serious consideration, that any of us are aware of, to sounding out 7UP's parent company ( Cadbury Shweppes ? ) with a view to a possible sponsorship deal. They are a huge company and I would imagine the amount of money we would be talking about is small beer to them.

Even if the actual deal we could screw out of them was on the average side compared to the likes of Crabbies or Marathon Bet surely the massive boost we would get through shirt sales would compensate for that …. any strip with 7UP on the front would undoubtedly be our biggest selling strip ever, and by some distance I would be willing to bet …… you wouldn't even have to work hard on the design, just a bog standard Pat Stanton era top would do.

Probably too late this time, but can the fans reps shed any light onto two simple questions: 1) Has the club ever made an approach to 7UP? ….. 2) If not why not? ... it seems like a no brainer to me for the reasons given above.

I'm going to get pelters here but... CRINGE

Oscar T Grouch
11-06-2019, 12:44 PM

I just don't see the cringe here. What is cringey? Celebrating a famous victory over our city rivals?

SquashedFrogg
11-06-2019, 12:44 PM

😂

thorbs
11-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Because it would be awful. would look like this....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJOpmIrWUAAV-jS.jpg

04Sauzee
11-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Or it could look absolutely fantastic like this

Oscar T Grouch
11-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Because it would be awful. would look like this....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJOpmIrWUAAV-jS.jpg

Nah mate, it would look like the 7up logo, not the burger king logo :wink:

Heisenberg
11-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Fizzy drinks ruin lives. Would not want something like that on a Hibs shirt. Not Hibs class.

:greengrin

Newry Hibs
11-06-2019, 12:58 PM
They would close off the market to 400,000 other people in an instant.

(Though I wonder if any of them would drink it anyway)

Since452
11-06-2019, 01:02 PM

To be honest Hibs beating Hearts 7-0 back in the early 70's doesn't really mean much to anyone born in the 80's onwards. Is 7UP still even on the go?

Power
11-06-2019, 01:08 PM
I dinny ken what has went on before but I’m sure the sponsorship tender has been around thousands of companies and businesses.

Any companies out there called GGTTH, 90+2 or Henderson’s Deliveries?

superfurryhibby
11-06-2019, 01:16 PM
To be honest Hibs beating Hearts 7-0 back in the early 70's doesn't really mean much to anyone born in the 80's onwards. Is 7UP still even on the go?

Clueless:confused:

Jack
11-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Cadbury Shweppes would like to see a return on their investment. Hibs knocking on their door and suggesting sponsorship would boost sales among the Hibs support probably wouldn't get past the first meeting when their money men point out they'd lose any sales to jambos.

Any idea of how many 7up are sold in Edinburgh? How many Hibs supporters drink it to remind them of that day?

I suspect not a lot.

Is it even on sale at Easter Road or the Hibs Supporters Club?

Since452
11-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Clueless:confused:

Why? It was over a decade before i was born and almost 50 years ago

worcesterhibby
11-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Cadbury Shweppes would like to see a return on their investment. Hibs knocking on their door and suggesting sponsorship would boost sales among the Hibs support probably wouldn't get past the first meeting when their money men point out they'd lose any sales to jambos.

Any idea of how many 7up are sold in Edinburgh? How many Hibs supporters drink it to remind them of that day?

I suspect not a lot.

That could be up for grabs with the sponsorship. As the official drink of Hibernian FC it would then be sold round the ground as our exclusive fizzy drink, boosting their sales.

SquashedFrogg
11-06-2019, 01:40 PM

Massive boost in shirt sales? How many do we typically sell now? And how many more do you expect we'd sell?

Brightside
11-06-2019, 01:51 PM
I just don't see the cringe here. What is cringey? Celebrating a famous victory over our city rivals?

So if Hearts get a 5-1 sponsor we would be slagging them rotten.

Hibbyradge
11-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Massive boost in shirt sales? How many do we typically sell now? And how many more do you expect we'd sell?

Exactly.

Shirt sales are nowhere near as lucrative as some fans think.

Hibs will have been paid a sum of money by Macron for allowing them to use our brand name to sell their merchandise.

Hibs receive that money regardless of whether Macron sell 100 shirts or 10000.

Hibs will receive a small commission from each sale, probably about 10%, about £4.00 per adult top.

Just think, Hibs would only have had to sell an extra 37500 shirts to pay the £150k that Wolves wanted for Leigh Griffiths. Petrie! :grr:

lyonhibs
11-06-2019, 02:04 PM
No no no no no

NAE NOOKIE
11-06-2019, 02:19 PM

FFS …. It would be a light hearted jibe at our rivals, I'm not suggesting we have Hearts are ***** on the strip.

Or it could look absolutely fantastic like this

Looks brilliant :aok:

Are you kidding :faf:

I suspect not a lot.

How many Hibbies A) Bet regularly ….. and B) bet with Marathon Bet …. I'll wager a lot more drink fizzy juice, and you could have it on the kids strip.

1) nae idea …. 2) a lot more than we usually do.

SquashedFrogg
11-06-2019, 02:38 PM

I'd argue most people who buy tops already do.

NAE NOOKIE
11-06-2019, 02:50 PM
I'd argue most people who buy tops already do.

Who knows mate. Of our lot I was the only one who bought this years top, which is unusual, and I'm the oldest. From my POV I would still argue that 7UP on the strip would increase sales. I get the pro and anti arguments vis a vis whether or not it would increase shirt sales significantly …. what I'm scratching my head over is the downright hostility some folk are showing to the idea.

Over the last few decades amongst others we have been sponsored by a bottled gas company, a safety clothing company a lager company, an alcoholic ginger beer producer and a betting company … I never heard anybody say 'Calor, what a stupid idea, how many Hibbies use bottled gas?'

Since452
11-06-2019, 03:16 PM
FFS …. It would be a light hearted jibe at our rivals, I'm not suggesting we have Hearts are ***** on the strip.

How many Hibbies A) Bet regularly ….. and B) bet with Marathon Bet …. I'll wager a lot more drink fizzy juice, and you could have it on the kids strip.

If i tried to wind a Hearts fan up about a result 50 years ago i'd get a sympathetic look more than anything

SquashedFrogg
11-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Who knows mate. Of our lot I was the only one who bought this years top, which is unusual, and I'm the oldest. From my POV I would still argue that 7UP on the strip would increase sales. I get the pro and anti arguments vis a vis whether or not it would increase shirt sales significantly …. what I'm scratching my head over is the downright hostility some folk are showing to the idea.

Over the last few decades amongst others we have been sponsored by a bottled gas company, a safety clothing company a lager company, an alcoholic ginger beer producer and a betting company … I never heard anybody say 'Calor, what a stupid idea, how many Hibbies use bottled gas?'

The suggestion was that the club could accept less sponsorship money based on the idea that enough people would buy a top with a fizzy drinks company logo.

I'm just not convinced that is very sensible that's all.

Folk I know would either buy, or not buy a top regardless of the sponsor.

Only my opinion of course, but I'm not convinced an ironic link with the number 7 would see a huge increase in sales.

we are hibs
11-06-2019, 04:48 PM

Are we getting **** the Hearts as the sponsor on our top? Sign me up for 20

sadtom
11-06-2019, 05:35 PM
I remember thinking it would be a good move when my pal (sadly no longer with us) got the Fiorentina shirt in the early 90's.
I know its not allowed on the strips but i've thought we should try to get a link with SOL lager (Sunshine On Leith).
Maybe a stand sponsor...the SOL east stand...we'd know what it really meant. 😉
Could possibly have a fancy gate at the entrance with Sunshine On Leith accross the top of it.
Who would not want to be associated with that?!

Wilson
11-06-2019, 05:35 PM
So if Hearts get a 5-1 sponsor we would be slagging them rotten.

Yes we would. Many hearts fans don't seem to realise that 5-1 lost much of its relevance (not all but enough) when we actually won the cup. 5-1 was a double whammy BECAUSE of the fact we hadn't won it in so long. They hold on to the scoreline but the story for us in the Scottish cup has always been about the failure to win it - and that has passed.

In the same way 0-7 is an iconic derby scoreline. A result recorded by a great hibs squad. At the same time as the decades pass there are less people on both sides that were at the game and 'feel' the impact of the result. Lets face it there are fans in their twenties and thirties on both sides that get the reference but that is it. How relevant is it to the young fans coming through - really?

Anyway, there might be good reasons for trying to partner up with a sponsor but a cheap dig at our rivals might not be the most solid basis.

Besides, I don't even like 7up.

Scouse Hibee
11-06-2019, 05:39 PM
And I thought the Jambos who still harp on about 5-1 were bad!

Jack
11-06-2019, 06:51 PM
And I thought the Jambos who still harp on about 5-1 were bad!

Talking about harps Guinness world be an ideal sponsor for the East Stand with blummin huge golden harps here there and everywhere!

Eyrie
11-06-2019, 07:15 PM
7-0 was an iconic result for us, which is why we all know what it refers to even although the game was over 46 years ago.

Hearts fans will feel the same way about 5-1, which they'll be discussing in 2056 as they sit in the still to be completed Main Stand watching yet another failed attempt to get promotion from Scottish League One.

superfurryhibby
12-06-2019, 06:30 AM
If i tried to wind a Hearts fan up about a result 50 years ago i'd get a sympathetic look more than anything

Not all Hearts fans are aged 30 and under?

It was the 2nd greatest game in our history and it will never be forgotten.

If we had 7 Up as shirt sponsors I’d buy my first replica top since the time of the 7-0 game. The few I have have been hand me downs from my eldest, who was born in 1986 and fully appreciates the significance of that game.

In terms of sales and profit. I would imagine Hibs get the same slice as any other retailer, c 1/3 profit. Sales would increase, I’m certain. Probably never going to happen, but I’d rather have 7Up than a betting company.

Halmyre Hibee
12-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Nothing wrong with this when on holiday

https://www.hibs.net/asset.php?fid=19780&uid=7997&d=1560348531

Deansy
12-06-2019, 02:52 PM
7-0 was an iconic result for us, which is why we all know what it refers to even although the game was over 46 years ago.

Hearts fans will feel the same way about 5-1, which they'll be discussing in 2056 as they sit in the still to be completed Main Stand watching yet another failed attempt to get promotion from Scottish League One.

7-0 was an master-class in football, achieved by a team that was brought together by true and honest means - 5-1 wasn't!

Speedway
12-06-2019, 03:32 PM
‘Do you remember that time nearly half a century ago when we won one by a big margin?

We’ve got a sponsor now to remind people of it.’

Tragic.

Since452
12-06-2019, 04:27 PM
‘Do you remember that time nearly half a century ago when we won one by a big margin?

We’ve got a sponsor now to remind people of it.’

Tragic.

My point exactly

Since452
12-06-2019, 04:30 PM
We may as well all pitch up at Murrayfield next month and remind the Napoli fans of the time we scudded them 5-0 back when jesus was in nappies

superfurryhibby
12-06-2019, 04:37 PM
We may as well all pitch up at Murrayfield next month and remind the Napoli fans of the time we scudded them 5-0 back when jesus was in nappies

You’ve just proved a point. We remember these results because they are memorable. I’m more than happy to tell my Catalan pals about Hibs drawing 4-4 at the Camp Nou and putting them out at ER in the return. That was nearly 60 years ago.

See that thread about travelling to away games in the 60’s- 47 replies. Football fans and nostalgia, a lovely mix.

Then there’s the one on Killie re-introducing safe standing. Another part of football once thought to be consigned to history, but hang on, the fans want to see it back!

Lighten up.

12-06-2019, 05:08 PM

Aye but it is now called Snickers.

Just Alf
12-06-2019, 06:39 PM
In response to the question re the Hibs club... Aye it is! :greengrin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Eyrie
12-06-2019, 07:20 PM
7-0 was an master-class in football, achieved by a team that was brought together by true and honest means - 5-1 wasn't!

Makes the two games even more appropriate for their respective fan bases :wink: