PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Panini Stickers - Mega Hibs Content

HFC_NYC
08-06-2019, 12:13 AM
I hope you don't mind me posting this here, but this is too good not to share. So, I'm on a mega trip down memory lane, and as part of that journey, I bought three unopened packs of Panini football stickers from 1982. Now, before I opened these, I had two wishes in mind....1) to get a foil badge sticker and 2) to get any Hibs sticker. Without spoiling the surprise, if you skip to 4 minutes and 16 seconds in this video, you will see the money shot.
https://youtu.be/UC2ohzQ5leY

s2hart
08-06-2019, 12:29 AM
No video posted!unless I'm missing something.

HFC_NYC
08-06-2019, 12:37 AM
No video posted!unless I'm missing something.

It shows up on my desk top, but not my phone, so you are right. Anyway, here's the link to youtube...... https://youtu.be/UC2ohzQ5leY

Fuzzywuzzy
08-06-2019, 06:26 AM
Might have been a year or two after but the badges were the club's nicknames. Can remember ours was a hive of bee's, hearts a plate of jam tarts and Aberdeen a mortar board.

Only ever completed one album and wasted (occasionally chored) a **** load of money getting stickers. Trading piles of stickers for one that you needed always seemed wise at the time

lyonhibs
08-06-2019, 07:35 AM
"Got, got, got, need"

Those were the days. That said, was there a combined English and Scottish panini sticker book back in the day?

Certainly were separated by the mid 90's

H18 SFR
08-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Love stuff like this, delighted for you.

I can remember like it was yesterday several memories from around that time as a young child going home and away. Sadly football has changed so much. I was through in Glasgow at Wikes on London Road on Wednesday and drove by Shawfield, was able to tell the wife a story about going there much to her amazement as I can't remember what I done last week in her eyes.

CraigHibee
08-06-2019, 08:17 AM
Used to love the football stickers when i was younger, especially when you open the nice shiny club badge :)

tanfield
08-06-2019, 08:22 AM
"Got, got, got, need"

Those were the days. That said, was there a combined English and Scottish panini sticker book back in the day?

Definitely English and Scottish when I was collecting them in the late 70's and early 80's.

RyeSloan
08-06-2019, 08:30 AM
"Got, got, got, need"

Defo combined although I seem to remember the Scottish players got half sized stickers for a least a few editions or maybe I’m mis remembering that!

Brilliant vid tho and love the reaction to the Hibs foil...superb [emoji106][emoji106]

speedy_gonzales
08-06-2019, 11:21 AM
Might have been a year or two after but the badges were the club's nicknames. Can remember ours was a hive of bee's, hearts a plate of jam tarts and Aberdeen a mortar board.

Only ever completed one album and wasted (occasionally chored) a **** load of money getting stickers. Trading piles of stickers for one that you needed always seemed wise at the time

If this was '84/'85 then were we not "high bees", picture of a few stoned looking bees and one of those smokers apiarists use?

LancsHibs
08-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Brought back great memories, remember completing that sticker book, if I remember correctly you send off to panini for the last so many stickers you were missing to complete the album but it cost you big bucks!!😃

Alfiembra
08-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Too old for stickers it was bubble gum cards in my day and it was “got, got, no got” you lot must have gone to posh schools.

Do remember getting the stickers for my kids in the 80s and 90s though.

Fratelli
08-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Too old for stickers it was bubble gum cards in my day and it was “got, got, no got” you lot must have gone to posh schools.

Was just about to post the same...in the playground at ‘Pinkie’ in Musselburgh in the early 70’s, it was definitely ‘got, got, no got...’

Great memories all the same...

mutley
08-06-2019, 03:26 PM
That was brilliant, oh the memories, and what was the chances of getting a Hibs badge!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HFC_NYC
08-06-2019, 04:07 PM
It was absolutely amazing to get the Hibs foil badge in that first packet. Also, I remember the foil badges being pretty rare, so I was shocked to get three in that one packet.

beensaidbefore
08-06-2019, 04:11 PM
"Got, got, got, need"

I think this was the last to feature both Scottish and English. Fond memories.

https://youtu.be/AuSg9ZX3nos

Is It On....
09-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Ahh..the bubble cards bought from the shop that was next to The Kilted Pig (only shop that sold then in the area) and the only card I seem to remember was Willie Pettigrew. Also remember the football "stickers" for the Argentina 78 album that you had to glue in the book with Prit Stick.

Oxgangs was definitely "got, got, not got" when you were swapping them.

worcesterhibby
09-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Ahh..the bubble cards bought from the shop that was next to The Kilted Pig (only shop that sold then in the area) and the only card I seem to remember was Willie Pettigrew. Also remember the football "stickers" for the Argentina 78 album that you had to glue in the book with Prit Stick.

Oxgangs was definitely "got, got, not got" when you were swapping them.

Did you not have to lick them like a stamp ?

Hibernia&Alba
09-06-2019, 10:22 AM
I used to love the Panini stickers. Nothing better than getting a pound and tearing off to the newsagents; "ten packs of stickers please":greengrin. I think they were ten pence per pack in the mid 80s. The anticipation of opening them was immense. Getting the silver crest badge of a club was a thrill, and if you were really lucky, you might get two or three in a pack. Scottish clubs only got wee half size stickers, with two players on each.

Then there was the World Cup special albums; again silver foil sticker with each nation's crest. The World Cup itself number one in the album.

Taking your pile into school, where each boy would flick through his 'spares' that were available for swap. Half a dozen boys concentrating on each sticker, looking for one he required: "got, got, need"...:greengrin. Each boy had a photographic memory of every sticker in his book and which players he still required.

MartinfaePorty
09-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Having 3 brothers and me that were all football daft meant we had loads of these albums over the years in the 70s and 80s. Remember vividly 1 year they got the Greenhoff brothers the wrong way round in the Man Utd team, so that Jimmy's picture was on Brian's sticker and vice-versa.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

nellio
09-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Great stuff. My first album was football 90

http://www.footballstickipedia.com/panini-football-90-sticker-album.html

As a kid in Wales it gave me my first introduction to Scottish teams.

I'm sure 7 year old me didn't think I'd be watching some random team called Hibernian every week with a season ticket but there you go!

Mibbes Aye
09-06-2019, 09:31 PM
Defo combined although I seem to remember the Scottish players got half sized stickers for a least a few editions or maybe I’m mis remembering that!

Brilliant vid tho and love the reaction to the Hibs foil...superb [emoji106][emoji106]

The combined ones did have the Scottish players two to a sticker as opposed to the English ones, you’re right.

I think it was for child protection reasons, given the scariness of Scottish players’ moustaches and hair-dos at that time.

Hibernia&Alba
10-06-2019, 08:12 AM
The combined ones did have the Scottish players two to a sticker as opposed to the English ones, you’re right.

I think it was for child protection reasons, given the scariness of Scottish players’ moustaches and hair-dos at that time.

Some excellent examples of quite incredible barnets in NYC's video. Special mention to Alan Sunderland's legendary afro. The mousers, worn in combination with missing teeth, were another standard feature.

eezyrider
10-06-2019, 01:50 PM

Nope. Bubble Gum cards were like playing cards or Top Trumps cards.

EZ22141

JeMeSouviens
10-06-2019, 02:10 PM

I defo had combined ones, would be about 79 or 80, I guess. The English teams had double pages whereas most Scottish ones just got a single. Apart from 2, bet you can't guess. :rolleyes:

Edit: it was this one, 78. Here's some boy leafing through it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3gQVZveuc

Here’s Lucy!
10-06-2019, 02:30 PM
Off on a tangent slightly.

Did any of the more ‘elderly’ readers here collect the football badges and coins collection given out by petrol stations?

I was given the 1966 England WC squad coin collection and a full set of badges of all the league clubs in the UK, issued by Esso I think.

HFC_NYC
10-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Here are the notes I made that I was going to use in my video, but eventually decided not to. It does show that the first two Panini albums treated the English 1st and Scottish Premier leagues equally, but after that, we got shafted:-

"The first edition in 1978 treated the English 1st Division and the Scottish Premier League equally with both receiving 14 players, 1 manager, 1 team shot and a FOIL club badge spread over 2 pages. This pattern continued into the 1979 edition with the exception that the club badges were made from FABRIC – the only year that this happened.

However, things changed drastically for the 1980 edition. Whilst there were no changes made for the English 1st Division (with the exception that we were back to the club badges being FOIL), the allocation for the Scottish Premier League was drastically reduced to half of 1 page with half sized stickers containing only 11 players, 1 manager and NO badge or team picture!!!

1981 saw more changes whereby the English 1st Division retained the 2 page spread but this time, we got 12 players, 1 manager, the badge and the team picture which was now made using 2 stickers. The Scottish Premier League continued with the half sized stickers, but was allocated one full page and comprised of 11 players, 1 manager, a full sized badge and a 2 sticker team picture.

Which brings us to 1982 and the stickers we’re about to open. Once again, the English 1st Division teams were spread over 2 pages and contained 12 players, 1 manager, badge and team. The Scottish Premier league was still allocated the one page and contained the 12 players in half sized stickers, club badge, the team picture which was back to being a single sticker and bizarrely, the manager which was featured on a full sized sticker."

beensaidbefore
10-06-2019, 03:21 PM
The 1989 definitely had double pages with full size stickers. Cant be certain but think 88 was the same.

Here is a link to images of the 89 book

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/10002955-panini-football-1989-english-championship-very-nice-complete-album

You need to click view this lot and scroll to page 55��

G B Young
10-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Here are the notes I made that I was going to use in my video, but eventually decided not to. It does show that the first two Panini albums treated the English 1st and Scottish Premier leagues equally, but after that, we got shafted:-

"The first edition in 1978 treated the English 1st Division and the Scottish Premier League equally with both receiving 14 players, 1 manager, 1 team shot and a FOIL club badge spread over 2 pages. This pattern continued into the 1979 edition with the exception that the club badges were made from FABRIC – the only year that this happened.

I may be wrong as I no longer have the albums (can't recall what became of them), but it's my recollection that the 1978 album gave the English First Division clubs a double page each (as well as a section for the English Second Division which featured only a badge and a team pic) but only a single page for the Scottish top flight clubs? Although I have a vague recollection that Celtic and Rangers may have been given double pages.

The 1979 version definitely provided a double page for both the English and Scottish top divisions, although as you say the badges were no longer gold foil!

JeMeSouviens
10-06-2019, 03:29 PM

However, things changed drastically for the 1980 edition. Whilst there were no changes made for the English 1st Division (with the exception that we were back to the club badges being FOIL), the allocation for the Scottish Premier League was drastically reduced to half of 1 page with half sized stickers containing only 11 players, 1 manager and NO badge or team picture!!!

1981 saw more changes whereby the English 1st Division retained the 2 page spread but this time, we got 12 players, 1 manager, the badge and the team picture which was now made using 2 stickers. The Scottish Premier League continued with the half sized stickers, but was allocated one full page and comprised of 11 players, 1 manager, a full sized badge and a 2 sticker team picture.

Which brings us to 1982 and the stickers we’re about to open. Once again, the English 1st Division teams were spread over 2 pages and contained 12 players, 1 manager, badge and team. The Scottish Premier league was still allocated the one page and contained the 12 players in half sized stickers, club badge, the team picture which was back to being a single sticker and bizarrely, the manager which was featured on a full sized sticker."

Not in 78. It's here in this vid:

https://youtu.be/Ry3gQVZveuc?t=251

Only Celgers got a double page. I remember being outraged as an 8 year old. :grr:

G B Young
10-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Only Celgers got a double page. I remember being outraged as an 8 year old. :grr:

Glad to see my memory hadn't failed me...bizarre call to feature only seven players from the non Old Firm clubs!

It's a real nostalgia blast seeing that album again. Mine was stuck together with sellotape due to the fact I would flick through it endlessly. My knowledge of UK footballers back then was exhaustive compared to today when I'd struggle to name a single player for many clubs!

HFC_NYC
10-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Thanks. I based my information on the '78 album giving the two page spread to the Scottish clubs based on the fact that the only images of a completed '78 album I could find showed Celtic. Some things just never change.

Alfiembra
10-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Did any of the more ‘elderly’ readers here collect the football badges and coins collection given out by petrol stations?

I was given the 1966 England WC squad coin collection and a full set of badges of all the league clubs in the UK, issued by Esso I think.

Yes but I think it was the 1970 world cup in Mexico???. My dad had a company car and was doing a lot of travelling at the time so was buying loads of petrol. Every friday when he got home from work and had filled the car with petrol, there would be a couple of world cup coins for my brother and I. Think I might still have them somewhere, can only remember that I never completed the set probably missing about half a dozen or so.

Did find a set of bubble gum cards recently from my primary school days was around about 1967 was all Scottish players, can remember some of the Hibs players in the set, Pat Stanton, John Madsen, Alan McGraw, Joe Davis and a couple of others maybe.

Here’s Lucy!
10-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Yes but I think it was the 1970 world cup in Mexico???. My dad had a company car and was doing a lot of travelling at the time so was buying loads of petrol. Every friday when he got home from work and had filled the car with petrol, there would be a couple of world cup coins for my brother and I. Think I might still have them somewhere, can only remember that I never completed the set probably missing about half a dozen or so.

Did find a set of bubble gum cards recently from my primary school days was around about 1967 was all Scottish players, can remember some of the Hibs players in the set, Pat Stanton, John Madsen, Alan McGraw, Joe Davis and a couple of others maybe.

You're right, it was 1970.

Blue board with silver coins?

Hibernia&Alba
10-06-2019, 04:32 PM

I have my grandad's coins from 1970. I know they include Bobby Charlton, Colin Bell, Martin Peters. The set isn't complete.

Here’s Lucy!
10-06-2019, 04:36 PM
I have my grandad's coins from 1970. I know they include Bobby Charlton, Colin Bell, Martin Peters. The set isn't complete.

And, the never to be forgotten, Keith Newton!!

Who?

:greengrin

Billy Whizz
10-06-2019, 04:37 PM
You're right, it was 1970.

Blue board with silver coins?

Think it was Esso
I had the full board, no idea where it is now

Here’s Lucy!
10-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Think it was Esso
I had the full board, no idea where it is now

Yep, thought it was Esso too.

Probably worth about tuppence ha'penny now!

tanfield
10-06-2019, 05:14 PM

I've got the full collection of badges that Esso did along with the Scotland and England coins for the 1990 world cup

cabbageandribs1875
10-06-2019, 05:37 PM
the coins for the esso ones were absolutely brilliant, they were like money :greengrin a blue folder/sleeve thing about the size of a LP record

Here’s Lucy!
10-06-2019, 06:18 PM
the coins for the esso ones were absolutely brilliant, they were like money :greengrin a blue folder/sleeve thing about the size of a LP record

Exactly!

I was told that some of the most difficult ones to get were the most famous players, like Lee and Bell.

The more obscure players were ten a penny!

StevieC
10-06-2019, 06:30 PM
I've got the full collection of badges that Esso did along with the Scotland and England coins for the 1990 world cup

Did Esso (or similar petrol station) do a collection of mini football figures? My dad was posted in England at the time so might just have been for 1970 England World Cup squad.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-06-2019, 07:08 PM

That was the case for the 78 WC "stickers", applying a damp cloth also had the desired effect. (It might not have been Panini though).

I think it might've been this. (http://beyondthelastman.com/2014/07/13/fks-world-cup-1978-soccer-stamps/)

StevieC
10-06-2019, 10:39 PM
Did Esso (or similar petrol station) do a collection of mini football figures? My dad was posted in England at the time so might just have been for 1970 England World Cup squad.

Found it!! :greengrin

Joe Mercer Great Britain Soccer Squad 1971! :dunno:

It was from Cleveland garages

GreenLake
11-06-2019, 01:54 AM
I watched the whole video despite not being that into cards.

You present really well!

I hope you will do another video on 'The Best Oyster Bars' in New York City.

HFC_NYC
11-06-2019, 08:55 PM
I watched the whole video despite not being that into cards.

You present really well!

I hope you will do another video on 'The Best Oyster Bars' in New York City.

Thank you for the kind compliment, however, I will not be reviewing "The Best Oyster Bars" in New York City. I ate oysters once, and that was only to impress the girl i was on a date with. I find them absolutely disgusting .