PDA

View Full Version : England fans, same old same old.

Hibrandenburg
06-06-2019, 10:56 AM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/05/england-fans-clash-portuguese-police-fas-fears-trouble-ahead/

On D-Day of all days. Embarrassing.

"There were familiar songs about the RAF and German bombers and bottles thrown in the direction of the PSP officers in full riot gear".

Smartie
06-06-2019, 10:59 AM
The trouble has been acknowledged and condemned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48538731

The phrase "a minority" is in there, but it's good that the FA and supporters groups are up for calling these idiots out.

Hibernia&Alba
06-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Sadly predictable. The lunatic/far right hooligan element which still attaches itself to the England national team doesn't seem as strong as it once was, but hasn't been completely eradicated.

The Modfather
06-06-2019, 11:13 AM
I forget which tournament it was, possibly the Euros in France, but bumped into a few England fans and had a few beers with them. They were good guys and couldn’t help but feel sorry for them. They were saying they don’t wear England colours because of the perception of the fans and try to stay away from the actual venues until as late as possible because the drunken moron element invariably ruin it for everyone.

iwasthere1972
06-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Kick them out of the next tournament that they qualify for (Euro 2020) and give their place to Scotland.

Antifa Hibs
06-06-2019, 11:22 AM
Seems to be an increase of the **** the pope chants from England recently. That along with the treatment of James McLean. West coast of Scotland problem though eh :cb

Pretty Boy
06-06-2019, 11:29 AM
I know a couple of guys who followed England away for years. Good guys who like a beer, a bit banter and are, to put it politely, men of the world.

Neither bother these days after the trouble in France at the Euros. They travelled to Marseille for the game at which there was the big bother and whilst they argued England fans were largely the victims in and around the ground they both said the behaviour of some England fans travelling to the game was a disgrace.

It may be a minority but it's a vocal and prominent one.

Benny Brazil
06-06-2019, 11:40 AM
I caught a bit of TalkSport Drive yesterday and they had a caller on from Glasgow - a Hun - who was defending the English fans singing about the IRA and the Pope and the German bombers song saying it was just banter and showing "patriotism" - shouldn't be surprised but he then started referring to the England fans as "us / we"

MrSmith
06-06-2019, 12:12 PM
It is a shame for the ordinary fan. My two brother in-laws & sister in-law, are Newcastle and England fans, great guys and love the footy not the shame. Was on holiday in Madeira with them during the world cup last year, what a laugh we had and I genuinely felt their disappointment however, they were delighted with their teams effort.

roc1
06-06-2019, 12:14 PM
I forget which tournament it was, possibly the Euros in France, but bumped into a few England fans and had a few beers with them. They were good guys and couldn’t help but feel sorry for them. They were saying they don’t wear England colours because of the perception of the fans and try to stay away from the actual venues until as late as possible because the drunken moron element invariably ruin it for everyone.

Way back in 1990 at Italy World Cup we met a few English guys on train before Sweden match. Good guys who wouldn’t follow England in the competition because of the so called “fans”
They even sold me a ticket for the game 😁

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Seems to be an increase of the **** the pope chants from England recently. That along with the treat of James McLean. West coast of Scotland problem though eh :cb

Long term links between the English far right and Ulster loyalists.

Codheed
06-06-2019, 12:19 PM
But , nowhere to be seen in Russia last year for some reason !

southsider
06-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Long term links between the English far right and Ulster loyalists.

On the week the nations of this Island honour those who gave their lives to help defeat the Nazi menace we have English Nazi’s rampaging in Porto. This **** should be taken to the main square and horsewhipped.

Cardinal G
06-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Seems to be an increase of the **** the pope chants from England recently. That along with the treatment of James McLean. West coast of Scotland problem though eh :cb

Sadly your right, #### the pope is creeping in more and more, attending many Sunderland away games I am hearing it more and more, I challenge when I can and in the main they naively don't realise what they are singing. As for James McLean he is vilified by many fans, doesn't help himself sometimes but the abuse he gets isn't right.

StevesFamau5
06-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Kick them out of the next tournament that they qualify for (Euro 2020) and give their place to Scotland.

So Scotland can embarrass us all with their tartan army jovial good guy bull**** while the team fails miserably again?

I'm in for that..

Smartie
06-06-2019, 01:31 PM
So Scotland can embarrass us all with their tartan army jovial good guy bull**** while the team fails miserably again?

I'm in for that..

Me too, it would be amazing.

The garden furniture will have to throw itself around.

The Modfather
06-06-2019, 01:33 PM

I'm in for that..

Never understood this attitude. On a thread discussing England “fans” bad behaviour you have a go at the TA for continue to follow the team when they are poor while behaving ourselves..

I’ve spent thousands of pounds following Scotland over the years and, just like I don’t allow a Hibs defeat to ruin my weekend, why shouldn’t I make the most of my trip and enjoy seeing the world win, lose or draw?

StevesFamau5
06-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Never understood this attitude. On a thread discussing England “fans” bad behaviour you have a go at the TA for continue to follow the team when they are poor while behaving ourselves..

I’ve spent thousands of pounds following Scotland over the years and, just like I don’t allow a Hibs defeat to ruin my weekend, why shouldn’t I make the most of my trip and enjoy seeing the world win, lose or draw?

I get your point BUT I am sick of the old pish that Scotland supporters are all brilliantly well behaved jolly chaps who always abide by the laws of the particular city they visit. I have been attacked by a group of so called Tartan Army fans in Spain a few years back all for wearing an England shirt and having a Scottish accent... So I am probably a bit biased.

Still **** the tartan army 😂

lyonhibs
06-06-2019, 02:07 PM
I get your point BUT I am sick of the old pish that Scotland supporters are all brilliantly well behaved jolly chaps who always abide by the laws of the particular city they visit. I have been attacked by a group of so called Tartan Army fans in Spain a few years back all for wearing an England shirt and having a Scottish accent... So I am probably a bit biased.

So you've done that classic thing of having 1 bad experience and tarring thousands of people with the same brush. I was in Bratislava to watch Scotland (get thumped 3-0 for what it's worth) not long after England were "in town".

The general demeanour and opinions for the locals I spoke to of the Scots vs those of the recent English fans that were in town couldn't have been more different (although of course, the locals in question were probably doing a bit of the same as you are - 1 bad experience = tainted opinion of an entire group of ppl)

I'm off to Brussels on Sunday - can't wait for it, another belting trip in prospect.

StevesFamau5
06-06-2019, 02:20 PM
So you've done that classic thing of having 1 bad experience and tarring thousands of people with the same brush. I was in Bratislava to watch Scotland (get thumped 3-0 for what it's worth) not long after England were "in town".

The general demeanour and opinions for the locals I spoke to of the Scots vs those of the recent English fans that were in town couldn't have been more different (although of course, the locals in question were probably doing a bit of the same as you are - 1 bad experience = tainted opinion of an entire group of ppl)

I'm off to Brussels on Sunday - can't wait for it, another belting trip in prospect.

You're probably right, but I think it's worth noting the attitude of a lot of Scottish supporters.. We love everyone except the English. As a Scottish man brought up by English family I adopted the English national team. To this day most Scottish people who ask me who I support get quite confrontational when I say England... Still not sure why?

The Modfather
06-06-2019, 02:22 PM

I was also at the Slovakia game, but made the mistake of staying in Bratislava (which was nice) the night before but staying in Trnava after the game. That was some place, like the Slovakian version of Motherwell! 😀

Barman Stanton
06-06-2019, 02:31 PM
You're probably right, but I think it's worth noting the attitude of a lot of Scottish supporters.. We love everyone except the English. As a Scottish man brought up by English family I adopted the English national team. To this day most Scottish people who ask me who I support get quite confrontational when I say England... Still not sure why?

Its probably because they are our football rival. And its pretty uncommon to see a Scot wearing an England top (Rangers fans the exception). I never understand why some have an issue with any Scots wanting England to lose. Its just a rivalry (the oldest in the world). Its no different from Hibs fans wanting Hearts to lose.

Diclonius
06-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Sadly predictable. The lunatic/far right hooligan element which still attaches itself to the England national team doesn't seem as strong as it once was, but hasn't been completely eradicated.

Brexit will have reinvigorated it.

Hibrandenburg
06-06-2019, 02:36 PM

:agree:

If there's one positive to come out of the whole Brexit farce, then it's that the rest of Europe are again learning to distinguish between Scotland and England. Of course, some won't like that.

One Day Soon
06-06-2019, 02:46 PM
A good example of stale debates reheated as referred to in the 'established posters' thread.

Hibrandenburg
06-06-2019, 02:52 PM
A good example of stale debates reheated as referred to in the 'established posters' thread.

So it's not current news then? :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
06-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Its probably because they are our football rival. And its pretty uncommon to see a Scot wearing an England top (Rangers fans the exception). I never understand why some have an issue with any Scots wanting England to lose. Its just a rivalry (the oldest in the world). Its no different from Hibs fans wanting Hearts to lose.

Absolutely

I live in Kent (proper Brexit country) and I'm married to an English girl (she's lovely honestly :greengrin)

Went to the pub with English mates (all good guys) to watch all the England games, but it didn't take much for some fans to turn on each other

When questioned about not supporting England (because Scotland ain't in the World Cup) my response was a simple one

"So Arsenal aren't in the Champions League this coming season - their fans will be backing Spurs to win, Sunderland aren't in the Premier League, bet they'll be getting behind Newcastle to lift the title...."

It shut most folk up pretty quickly

Barman Stanton
06-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Absolutely

I live in Kent (proper Brexit country) and I'm married to an English girl (she's lovely honestly :greengrin)

Went to the pub with English mates (all good guys) to watch all the England games, but it didn't take much for some fans to turn on each other

When questioned about not supporting England (because Scotland ain't in the World Cup) my response was a simple one

"So Arsenal aren't in the Champions League this coming season - their fans will be backing Spurs to win, Sunderland aren't in the Premier League, bet they'll be getting behind Newcastle to lift the title...."

Indeed. Like Brazilians sit and support Argentina. Or Germany Holland. For some reason people try to make more out of 'anyone but England' than it actually is. Loads in England never liked Andy Murray cause he made a joke about it once.

The Modfather
06-06-2019, 03:29 PM

We’ve not even reached the Godwins Law part of this thread yet, plenty legs left in it yet...

Tornadoes70
06-06-2019, 03:32 PM
I hate these type threads that are used by 'some' to further their own type jingoistic nationalism right here in Scotland. Every support has its fair share of bampots. The vast majority of England fans attend their matches, enjoy themselves and go home afterwards without engaging in any bother whatsoever just as the vast majority of Scotland fans do.

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2019, 03:39 PM
We’ve not even reached the Godwins Law part of this thread yet, plenty legs left in it yet...

Au contraire, post #13.

Smartie
06-06-2019, 03:40 PM
I hate these type threads that are used by 'some' to further their own type jingoistic nationalism right here in Scotland. Every support has its fair share of bampots. The vast majority of England fans attend their matches, enjoy themselves and go home afterwards without engaging in any bother whatsoever just as the vast majority of Scotland fans do.

There is a decent point to be made about jingoistic nationalism here - about what happens when you mix alcohol, the uncurably stupid, foreign soil and jingoistic nationalism (in this case British).

What we see is unpleasant and totally unrepresentative of the vast majority of Englishmen, and I don't think anyone would disagree.

This is a problem that has existed for a long time, has recently got worse, and we could do with it disappearing for good.

Because, like most people on this thread, I know too many good English people who do not deserve to be tarred with this pish for me to want to see it continue.

We can argue about the merits of which flags we fly from our town halls and which decisions get made for us in which parliaments elsewhere.

Tornadoes70
06-06-2019, 03:51 PM
There is a decent point to be made about jingoistic nationalism here - about what happens when you mix alcohol, the uncurably stupid, foreign soil and jingoistic nationalism (in this case British).

What we see is unpleasant and totally unrepresentative of the vast majority of Englishmen, and I don't think anyone would disagree.

This is a problem that has existed for a long time, has recently got worse, and we could do with it disappearing for good.

Because, like most people on this thread, I know too many good English people who do not deserve to be tarred with this pish for me to want to see it continue.

We can argue about the merits of which flags we fly from our town halls and which decisions get made for us in which parliaments elsewhere.

:top marks

We've a number of English supporting Hi bees and it must be disheartening to some seeing a thread like this. Its obviously a small minority of their support who shame themselves and their country's team. As you rightly say its unrepresentative of the vast majority who go along support their team and back home again while behaving themselves without being any bother whatsoever.

One Day Soon
06-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Goose-stepping ones?

SquashedFrogg
06-06-2019, 04:05 PM
But , nowhere to be seen in Russia last year for some reason !

Probably because they got absolutely obliterated by the Russians in France.

The Modfather
06-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Goose-stepping ones?

No, soup nazi’s 😀

Tornadoes70
06-06-2019, 04:10 PM

Looked to me as there was a large number of very ordinary England fans simply enjoying themselves in and around bars and cafes who were viciously attacked by Russian ultra hooligans who showed no mercy. Can't see how any sane person could take enjoyment in that to be honest.

Hibernia&Alba
06-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Sadly your right, #### the pope is creeping in more and more, attending many Sunderland away games I am hearing it more and more, I challenge when I can and in the main they naively don't realise what they are singing. As for James McLean he is vilified by many fans, doesn't help himself sometimes but the abuse he gets isn't right.

Sunderland have had a hardcore of loyalists amongst them for years, which seems a bit strange. Sheffield Wednesday the same. Not clubs you'd immediately think of in relation to that sort of thing.

SquashedFrogg
06-06-2019, 04:16 PM
Looked to me as there was a large number of very ordinary England fans simply enjoying themselves in and around bars and cafes who were viciously attacked by Russian ultra hooligans who showed no mercy. Can't see how any sane person could take enjoyment in that to be honest.

The England fans launching bottles last night seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I think it's a bit naive to think it was just ordinary England fans involved in France. Although I'm sure some possibly were, probably similar to last night. But if you watch some of the footage from France there's quite a number of 'non-ordinary' England fans involved who underestimated what happens when the big boys are in town.

Wakeyhibee
06-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Most who got hurt seriously were the ones not intent on the same. I think the KGB had something to do with those same thugs not appearing at the World Cup.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Sunderland have had a hardcore of loyalists amongst them for years, which seems a bit strange. Sheffield Wednesday the same. Not clubs you'd immediately think of in relation to that sort of thing.

Plenty among The Hammers support, you never had to wait too long for a questionable song or two in The Boleyn Tavern pre match, water off a ducks back though.

hibbydog
06-06-2019, 05:59 PM
It is a shame for the ordinary fan. My two brother in-laws & sister in-law, are Newcastle and England fans, great guys and love the footy not the shame. Was on holiday in Madeira with them during the world cup last year, what a laugh we had and I genuinely felt their disappointment however, they were delighted with their teams effort.

That’s about where I am with it. Shame for the majority. A bit like how Hibs fans felt when one bell end runs on the pitch v Rangers last season.

hibsbollah
06-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Napoleon content. Reported.

Frazerbob
06-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Which game were the TA there for?

StevesFamau5
06-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Which game were the TA there for?

Alicante 2011 WC qualifier if I remember correctly medals Levein was in charge?

lyonhibs
06-06-2019, 08:11 PM
I was also at the Slovakia game, but made the mistake of staying in Bratislava (which was nice) the night before but staying in Trnava after the game. That was some place, like the Slovakian version of Motherwell! 😀

Got a coach in and out of there double lively. Bratislava was a good night out, ended up on a Greek website as some journo was in town doing a feature on us.

The Modfather
06-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Alicante 2011 WC qualifier if I remember correctly medals Levein was in charge?

Why did you have an England top on when Scotland were playing in the same place? While anyone should be able to wear what they want without being threatened/attacked. Does sound like it wasn’t a particularly sensible choice at best, deliberately antagonistic at worst.

StevesFamau5
06-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Why did you have an England top on when Scotland were playing in the same place? While anyone should be able to wear what they want without being threatened/attacked. Does sound like it wasn’t a particularly sensible choice at best, deliberately antagonistic at worst.

Why should what I wear mean I deserve to be attacked? If a Jambo wears a jambo top down Easter Road on game day because he/she wants to does it warrant an attack by Hibs fans or vice versa?

If I was a 14 year old kid does that warrant an attack?

Brummie_Hibs
06-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Why should what I wear mean I deserve to be attacked? If a Jambo wears a jambo top down Easter Road on game day because he/she wants to does it warrant an attack by Hibs fans or vice versa?

Can you describe your attack? Was it physical or verbal?

How did the situation occur?

I've followed Scotland home and away for almost 25 years, and I've seen the good and bad from the TA. We are no angels, but a random physical attack on strangers is rare (England top or not). You are more likely to see fights between fellow TA.

The Modfather
06-06-2019, 08:41 PM

Did you miss the bit where I said “anyone should be able to wear what they want without being threatened/attacked” ?

I was simply asking if you were unaware Scotland were playing in Alicante at the time or whether you deliberately wore your England top because Scotland were playing.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-06-2019, 08:42 PM

It's not just "on game day" though is it? Thousands of fans all tanked up isn't quite what leith is like every other Saturday

If i was on holiday in Greece and hearts had a Europa League game in the same place at the same time, i know full well that should i be silly enough to wear a Hibs top around them I'll get grief. Any physical abuse crosses the line but verbals unfortunately are a sad reality.

Same applies in reverse if it was us and a hearts fan was there. I suspect even an aberdeen fan might even be called out for their love of sheep

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Can you describe your attack? Was it physical or verbal?

How did the situation occur?

I've followed Scotland home and away for almost 25 years, and I've seen the good and bad from the TA. We are no angels, but a random physical attack on strangers is rare (England top or not). You are more likely to see fights between fellow TA.

Agree with this albeit my tenure has only been 10 years

FilipinoHibs
06-06-2019, 08:47 PM
On the week the nations of this Island honour those who gave their lives to help defeat the Nazi menace we have English Nazi’s rampaging in Porto. This **** should be taken to the main square and horsewhipped.
In a country that 40 plus years of a neo fascist dictatorship. Porto is a marvellous city where people drink heavily particularly at weekends but there is very little violence.

Lago
06-06-2019, 09:06 PM
Thank goodness for a sensible post.:agree:

StevesFamau5
06-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Ok so I will apologise to everyone on here for my **** chat. I have a massive chip on my shoulder with Scotland fans. It's my problem so I'll accept it. Sorry for any pish chat.

Hermit Crab
06-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Ok so I will apologise to everyone on here for my **** chat. I have a massive chip on my shoulder with Scotland fans. It's my problem so I'll accept it. Sorry for any pish chat.

What a strange post! :confused:

StevesFamau5
06-06-2019, 09:16 PM
What a strange post! :confused:

Why? For accepting the fact that I over reacted to alot on here? Ok no bother Hermit... You take the moral high ground

tricky
06-06-2019, 09:37 PM

What game was that in Spain?

IberianHibernian
06-06-2019, 11:13 PM
Is there a big difference between behaviour of some England fans in Portugal this week and that of some English ( and some Scottish ) tourists in Benidorm , Magaluf , Albufeira , etc every year ? Guessing that thousands of Scotland fans will be getting drunk during day before Scotland play on Saturday night just as the centre of Brussels will not be a good place for locals or tourists the day Scotland play there next week .

Bristolhibby
06-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Absolutely

Pretty much exactly me. Except I live in Wiltshire.

J

Bristolhibby
06-06-2019, 11:40 PM
Is there a big difference between behaviour of some England fans in Portugal this week and that of some English ( and some Scottish ) tourists in Benidorm , Magaluf , Albufeira , etc every year ? Guessing that thousands of Scotland fans will be getting drunk during day before Scotland play on Saturday night just as the centre of Brussels will not be a good place for locals or tourists the day Scotland play there next week .

There won’t be families running from bottles being thrown in Grand-Place by Scotland fans next week.

Tourists will be fine. Might even get a few free beers bought for them.

J

Hermit Crab
07-06-2019, 05:36 AM
Nations League: England fans' behaviour 'an embarrassment' (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwje2b2W09biAhXaRBUIHYOfCn8Q0PADMAB6BAgEE AU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball %2F48538731&usg=AOvVaw1_WgQkbspZASHwdc9SVPTM)

The Baldmans Comb
07-06-2019, 06:17 AM

What was the Scotland game in Spain when you were "attacked" for wearing an England shirt.

You have been asked this a number of times now but haven't managed to respond.

Were you seriously injured? , How did the Police handle your complaint?, How many people "attacked" you.?

TrinityHibs
07-06-2019, 06:28 AM
What was the Scotland game in Spain when you were "attacked" for wearing an England shirt.

You have been asked this a number of times now but haven't managed to respond.

Were you seriously injured? , How did the Police handle your complaint?, How many people "attacked" you.?

He said Alicante 2011 so that would have been when we lost 3-1 in the euro qualifier. Glad to be of help.

Bristolhibby
07-06-2019, 06:37 AM
He said Alicante 2011 so that would have been when we lost 3-1 in the euro qualifier. Glad to be of help.

TBH stoatin around in an England shirt at a Scotland away game (especially one that Scotland either would qualify or get knocked out) is a bit thick and at best provocative.

That’s like me going to one of the World Cup fan zones down here in my Scotland jersey. I’m not saying violence is justified, but you have a responsibility to yourself not to put yourselves in positions where with alcohol flowing you could get hurt.

J

The Baldmans Comb
07-06-2019, 06:45 AM

Yes I remember the game well as there was a very small Scottish support that day as it was a dead rubber as Czech Republic had a shoe in v Lithuania to be second in the group and Scotland v the World Champions away was a mismatch.

A loan English supporter being "attacked" would have been front page news and would have been discussed vehemently amongst the close tight nit Scottish fans who follow the national team abroad.

Forgive my suspicion that this so called "attack" never took place and if it did it was nothing more than verbals.

It sounds to me like an invention or an exaggeration used as a deflection tactic by someone who feels very uncomfortable about those who follow his national team.

England have the best and most knowledgable sypporters in world football but have always been plauged by a sizeable minority of supporters who have a racist, xenophobic and laughable superiority complex to anyone they perceive as different or "forgein".

One Day Soon
07-06-2019, 07:07 AM
TBH stoatin around in an England shirt at a Scotland away game (especially one that Scotland either would qualify or get knocked out) is a bit thick and at best provocative.

That’s like me going to one of the World Cup fan zones down here in my Scotland jersey. I’m not saying violence is justified, but you have a responsibility to yourself not to put yourselves in positions where with alcohol flowing you could get hurt.

J

Perhaps not the best argument, the 'asking for it' defence.

essexhibee
07-06-2019, 08:23 AM
Yes I remember the game well as there was a very small Scottish support that day as it was a dead rubber as Czech Republic had a shoe in v Lithuania to be second in the group and Scotland v the World Champions away was a mismatch.

A loan English supporter being "attacked" would have been front page news and would have been discussed vehemently amongst the close tight nit Scottish fans who follow the national team abroad.

Forgive my suspicion that this so called "attack" never took place and if it did it was nothing more than verbals.

It sounds to me like an invention or an exaggeration used as a deflection tactic by someone who feels very uncomfortable about those who follow his national team.

England have the best and most knowledgable sypporters in world football but have always been plauged by a sizeable minority of supporters who have a racist, xenophobic and laughable superiority complex to anyone they perceive as different or "forgein".

Small scottish support? We were all over the stadium. I got busted by my sixth form at the time as I was interviewed by Charles whats his face at Sky as we queued at an exhibition looking at their World Cup. Told them I had been unwell :greengrin and got spotted by a teacher.

Guy in spain in a kilt with a thick essex accent :greengrin

lyonhibs
07-06-2019, 08:26 AM
There won’t be families running from bottles being thrown in Grand-Place by Scotland fans next week.

Tourists will be fine. Might even get a few free beers bought for them.

J

Quite :agree: I'll provide reports direct from the scene of this mass inebriation :greengrin

Apparently Brussels has a rep for having a small yet active light fingered/looking for a fight North African population that might cause a couple of flash points, worst case scenario.

essexhibee
07-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Quite :agree: I'll provide reports direct from the scene of this mass inebriation :greengrin

Apparently Brussels has a rep for having a small yet active light fingered/looking for a fight North African population that might cause a couple of flash points, worst case scenario.

they were ripping guys sporrans off when we over there last time.

Hibrandenburg
07-06-2019, 08:43 AM

I got bottled there by a couple of Nazis a few years back. I think they were expecting me to be more compliant after that.

JeMeSouviens
07-06-2019, 09:58 AM

There's a huge overlap for sure. But there's an extra element of belligerence that follows England around that wants to chant about German bombers, the Pope and the IRA and is always spoiling for a fight. I don't think it's coincidence that the only Scottish support that regularly finds violent trouble abroad is our Sevconian chums.

Of course, in 99.9% of cases, it's "heavy-handed policing" that's the problem. :rolleyes:

Hibrandenburg
07-06-2019, 10:18 AM
There's a huge overlap for sure. But there's an extra element of belligerence that follows England around that wants to chant about German bombers, the Pope and the IRA and is always spoiling for a fight. I don't think it's coincidence that the only Scottish support that regularly finds violent trouble abroad is our Sevconian chums.

Of course, in 99.9% of cases, it's "heavy-handed policing" that's the problem. :rolleyes:

You need to stop inferring that nationalism plays any role in English football violence abroad, otherwise you're guilty of......erm......... jingoistic nationalism. :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-06-2019, 10:40 AM

I've stayed in a predominantly North African area of Brussels almost every time I've been, the folk couldnae have been friendlier (unless Hibs were there), particularly when they realised we weren't English! Proclaimers blasted out in the bars etc, with the locals joining in! Nice kebabs too. 😁

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-06-2019, 10:43 AM

If you are there long enough and haven't been before I'd recommend a wee trip to Leuven (about an hour on the bus), ridiculous amount of pub/bar type establishments.