PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool friendly @ Murrayfield

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Hakim Sar
05-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Presumably against us or Hearts, still being negotiated according to the Daily Mail.

Thoughts?

Keith_M
05-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Presumably against us or Hearts, still being negotiated according to the Daily Mail.

Thoughts?

Most likely Hearts, if it's at Murrayfield.

Don't they also have some kind of a special relationship with them?

Since452
05-06-2019, 05:07 PM
Hearts if Murrayfield. They'll then sell 60k "away tickets" to Liverpool fans and claim a higher average crowd than Hibs for next season. They have previous.

SouthMoroccoStu
05-06-2019, 05:08 PM

Thoughts?

Saw online Napoli was an strong possibility for the opponent

hfc rd
It’s against Napoli

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/bt-murrayfield-in-frame-to-host-glamour-liverpool-napoli-friendly-1-4937904/amp

bod
was in the papers that they were playing Napoli.
Spurs ground was the 1st choice before they both made the champions league final .

Bostonhibby
05-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Most likely Hearts, if it's at Murrayfield.

Don't they also have some kind of a special relationship with them?Liverpool were on their creditors list.

A select few get to that level of special.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Here’s Lucy!
05-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Liverpool were on their creditors list.

:faf:

04Sauzee
05-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Napoli were mentioned. Rangers fan in my work told me that Napoli had pulled out and Liverpool were now playing Rangers. So far he's given me 3 rangers transfers per day with zero happening so far

weecounty hibby
05-06-2019, 05:18 PM

Not really a select few, there were dozens on that particular list!!

Bostonhibby
05-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Not really a select few, there were dozens on that particular list!!Nae sarcasm smiley unfortunately [emoji6]

Winston Ingram
05-06-2019, 05:26 PM
It won’t be Hearts. It’ll likely be like the International Champions Cup where elite clubs meet each other in various cities around the world.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-06-2019, 05:29 PM
It won’t be Hearts. It’ll likely be like the International Champions Cup where elite clubs meet each other in various cities around the world.

That will be Hearts then. Maybe the CL final was the play-off to earn the right to play Hearts?

SJNB Hibby
05-06-2019, 05:51 PM
That will be Hearts then. Maybe the CL final was the play-off to earn the right to play Hearts?

:top marks

Stuart93
05-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Napoli were mentioned. Rangers fan in my work told me that Napoli had pulled out and Liverpool were now playing Rangers. So far he's given me 3 rangers transfers per day with zero happening so far

A rangers fan talking *****, no believing that one

SteveHFC
05-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Would be good to go see the 6 time European cup winners play in Edinburgh.

The 90+2
05-06-2019, 06:03 PM
I hope it’s an amazing spectacle to be honest. A sell out with Murrayfield putting on an incredible show.

Good for Edinburgh and show the rest of the country look at the midden the national stadium is.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Thoughts?

Napoli, no chance it’s either of the Edinburgh teams

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Pretty sure Liverpool are not in that this time

Deansy
05-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Hearts if Murrayfield. They'll then sell 60k "away tickets" to Liverpool fans and claim a higher average crowd than Hibs for next season. They have previous.

That was my first thought too, an over-the-top Jambo reaction to us having bigger crowds than them !

we are hibs
05-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Thanks for letting us know. Will avoid the West end like the plague that day.

allezsauzee
05-06-2019, 06:48 PM

you might miss some bargains on offer in the pubs around that area then

southsider
05-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Would rather have a tooth oot.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Like what?

Hibby70
05-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Good idea, less chance of being gobbed on by a pundit

Diclonius
05-06-2019, 07:10 PM
They'd have got a bigger crowd if they played one of us.

Billy Whizz
05-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Wonder why they’ve gone to Murrayfield rather than Hampden, would be better keeping football money with football

offshorehibby
05-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Wonder why they’ve gone to Murrayfield rather than Hampden, would be better keeping football money with football

I believe the Anfield pitch is getting re-layed

Bishop Hibee
05-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Stick this up your arse. Embarrassing having a capital city with two top flight clubs playing host to this money making exercise. I wouldn't attend if you paid me.

NAE NOOKIE
05-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Unless its against an Edinburgh club they can take their friendly and stick it straight up their arse.

Its bad enough our kids, and too many adults, being seduced by the bloody EPL without them playing matches ( even friendly ones ) on our doorstep. Let them stick to money making tours of China and Asia to pander to their EPL fanboy tourists over there and leave us bloody well alone !!!

No offence to Scouse Hibby BTW ….. It wouldn't matter which EPL team it was.

Renfrew_Hibby
05-06-2019, 08:53 PM

Never having followed the story of Murrayfields bid to become the national football stadium, it seems to me that the SRU are desperate to host football... any football. Why?

Are they totally skint or are they just wanting to give the Glasgow FA the finger?

erin go bragh
05-06-2019, 09:20 PM
I believe the Anfield pitch is getting re-layed

Doesn’t explain why Murrayfield over Hampden .

we are hibs
05-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Doesn’t explain why Murrayfield over Hampden .

Murrayfield holds about 15k more than Hampden

Carheenlea
05-06-2019, 09:22 PM
I was in Ireland when Celtic played Barcelona at The Aviva in the International Champions Cup, and I was attracted enough to travel to Dublin primarily to see the fabled Barcelona side. Would have preferred if it wasn't Celtic in opposition, but was an enjoyable occasion none the less. Getting the opportunity to watch live clubs you wouldn't normally get the chance to see on your doorstep makes these games quite attractive events, and if we have one in Edinburgh then can only see positives myself.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Cant get the negativity over this. 2nd in the EPL v 2nd in the Serie A in our fine City.

As a football fan I will be attending.

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2019, 12:08 AM

So potentially, it might not be Liverpool v Napoli but Liverpool v Stenhousemuir, or Liverpool v the Scottish Ambulance Service Sunday League team, or Liverpool v the boys who work at Western Saab and play fives every Thursday evening, or Liverpool v Scott Wilson?

NAE NOOKIE
06-06-2019, 01:31 AM
Cant get the negativity over this. 2nd in the EPL v 2nd in the Serie A in our fine City.

That's one way to look at it. The other way is to look at it as the EPL promoting their product in our fine city … one of the kids who has gone to ER with us for years is already losing interest in Hibs in favour of Liverpool and that's without them having promotional events right under his nose.

I remember years ago Newcastle advertising their games in the EEN and that pissed me off too. Its one thing the EPL seducing fanboys in Thailand or the USA or Outer *****lia … its quite another in my opinion doing it in a city which is a relatively short car or train journey from Newcastle or even Liverpool, so no matter how unlikely it is to do so I don't want them drawing future supporters away from Scottish football and especially Hibs by playing glamour friendlies in our back yard.

So as a football fan who would genuinely watch absolutely anybody play anybody with very little prompting I would rather watch Hearts play Hamilton than go to this … in fact there's more chance of that happening.

Edit …. The swear filter …. really :faf:

SeanWilson
06-06-2019, 02:56 AM
It's Napoli. Can't use anfield cause of a concert. It'll probably be at Spurs new ground... 👍

MagicSwirlingShip
06-06-2019, 03:39 AM
That's one way to look at it. The other way is to look at it as the EPL promoting their product in our fine city … one of the kids who has gone to ER with us for years is already losing interest in Hibs in favour of Liverpool and that's without them having promotional events right under his nose.

I remember years ago Newcastle advertising their games in the EEN and that pissed me off too. Its one thing the EPL seducing fanboys in Thailand or the USA or Outer *****lia … its quite another in my opinion doing it in a city which is a relatively short car or train journey from Newcastle or even Liverpool, so no matter how unlikely it is to do so I don't want them drawing future supporters away from Scottish football and especially Hibs by playing glamour friendlies in our back yard.

So as a football fan who would genuinely watch absolutely anybody play anybody with very little prompting I would rather watch Hearts play Hamilton than go to this … in fact there's more chance of that happening.

Fair enough mate. Each to their own. That thought hadn't even crossed my mind to be honest.

I see it as it an opportunity to see the recently crowned European Champions, without the EPL ticket costs, travel, hotels, etc. Can walk to Murrayfield too.

Would rather stay in than watch Hearts v Hamilton

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2019, 04:22 AM
It's Napoli. Can't use anfield cause of a concert. It'll probably be at Spurs new ground... 👍

Spurs new ground has already been ruled out, that was the original plan.

dalkeith stu
06-06-2019, 04:38 AM

You must have some interesting views on the Newcastle friendly!! Are they just coming up to try and seduce some of our fans over the border???
I'm sure people can support more than one team.

hibbyfraelibby
06-06-2019, 04:49 AM
Never having followed the story of Murrayfields bid to become the national football stadium, it seems to me that the SRU are desperate to host football... any football. Why?

Are they totally skint or are they just wanting to give the Glasgow FA the finger?

I suspect the latter...

Since452
06-06-2019, 05:48 AM
Unless its against an Edinburgh club they can take their friendly and stick it straight up their arse.

Its bad enough our kids, and too many adults, being seduced by the bloody EPL without them playing matches ( even friendly ones ) on our doorstep. Let them stick to money making tours of China and Asia to pander to their EPL fanboy tourists over there and leave us bloody well alone !!!

I agree. Maybe we should play Parma at Goodison. Seems odd.

EskbankHibby
06-06-2019, 05:53 AM
So potentially, it might not be Liverpool v Napoli but Liverpool v Stenhousemuir, or Liverpool v the Scottish Ambulance Service Sunday League team, or Liverpool v the boys who work at Western Saab and play fives every Thursday evening, or Liverpool v Scott Wilson?

Lady Haig seen in sportsdirect buying a pair of shin pads.

Since90+2
06-06-2019, 06:01 AM
I agree. Maybe we should play Parma at Goodison. Seems odd.

It's not that odd. Liverpool are one of the biggest supported clubs in the world and will likely have Murrayfield full or close to it.

Hibs and Hearts are operating on a completely different planet to teams like Liverpool, it's just the way it is.

JimBHibees
06-06-2019, 06:08 AM

Significantly better stadium, nearer the city centre, higher attendance potential, better transport links apart from that, what have the romans ever done for us. :greengrin

Itsnoteasy
06-06-2019, 06:18 AM

It won't be a bargain when your pockets are dipped.

Itsnoteasy
06-06-2019, 06:22 AM
You must have some interesting views on the Newcastle friendly!! Are they just coming up to try and seduce some of our fans over the border???
I'm sure people can support more than one team.

You can support as many teams as you want.

But there is a great Italian saying.

You can have as many wives as you want but you will only have ONE football team.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2019, 06:29 AM
It won't be a bargain when your pockets are dipped.

Never realised Edinburgh had a pickpocket problem, will have to take precautions.

Bostonhibby
06-06-2019, 07:18 AM
So potentially, it might not be Liverpool v Napoli but Liverpool v Stenhousemuir, or Liverpool v the Scottish Ambulance Service Sunday League team, or Liverpool v the boys who work at Western Saab and play fives every Thursday evening, or Liverpool v Scott Wilson?[emoji23]

danhibees1875
06-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Don't understand all the negativity, it sounds like a good idea to me. A good stadium with good transport links to the city centre and 2 quality teams playing. Unless the pricing is stupid I'll be looking to go along to this one I think.

JimBHibees
06-06-2019, 08:00 AM
Don't understand all the negativity, it sounds like a good idea to me. A good stadium with good transport links to the city centre and 2 quality teams playing. Unless the pricing is stupid I'll be looking to go along to this one I think.

Anti Liverpool jealousy mostly. :greengrin

Yes think will head along unless shocking pricing.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2019, 08:04 AM
I see it as it an opportunity to see the recently crowned European Champions, without the EPL ticket costs, travel, hotels, etc. Can walk to Murrayfield too.

Would rather stay in than watch Hearts v Hamilton

Me too.

Antifa Hibs
06-06-2019, 08:29 AM

It'll be £40-£50 I reckon. Full of roasters who have never been to a fitba game in their puff walking along dressed like a full kit ******. After the game talking about how good Liverpool and the EPL is and how ***** Scottish fitba is without even a slight hint of irony. With no Fergie at the helm and Utd utter pish a chance for Liverpool to expand their fanbase up here with the next generation of youth.

The Barca game at Murrayfield was bad enough and that featured Hibs - think i lasted 35 minutes before heading. Not for me this - fill your boots though.

Ringothedog
06-06-2019, 08:31 AM
It'll be £40-£50 I reckon. Full of roasters who have never been to a fitba game in their puff walking along dressed like a full kit ******. After the game talking about how good Liverpool and the EPL is and how ***** Scottish fitba is without even a slight hint of irony. With no Fergie at the helm and Utd utter pish a chance for Liverpool to expand their fanbase up here with the next generation of youth.

The Barca game at Murrayfield was bad enough and that featured Hibs - think i lasted 35 minutes before heading. Not for me this - fill your boots though.
Couldn’t agree more

Since452
06-06-2019, 08:42 AM
A friendly against Liverpool at Murrayfield doesn't float my boat. In my eyes they're less appealing than Barca were and even then i wasn't too interested. Certainly wouldn't pay 30+ quid to see it. Genuinely more interested in getting off to a good start in the league cup.

danhibees1875
06-06-2019, 08:43 AM

No need to sit on the fence. :greengrin

I can't see it being much like what you describe there in general. Thanks for your permission to go though.

greenlad
06-06-2019, 08:44 AM

You've forgotten the half and half scarves and a pishy attempt at YNWA. Not for me

BILLYHIBS
06-06-2019, 09:10 AM

Its bad enough our kids, and too many adults, being seduced by the bloody EPL without them playing matches ( even friendly ones ) on our doorstep. Let them stick to money making tours of China and Asia to pander to their EPL fanboy tourists over there and leave us bloody

Has Scouse Hibby been found?

jgl07
06-06-2019, 09:13 AM

I didn't realize Hearts had won it that many times?

.Sean.
06-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Absolutely bang on. Full of wee fuds ****ing themselves into oblivion over multi millionaire EPL players. No thanks.

Id rather sit at a murrayfield and watch the six nations with the rest of the farmers and that’s saying something.

Since452
06-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Hope it never happens. A "glamour friendly" against Liverpool at Murrayfield sounds a bit cringey and desperate for me. Was bad enough against Barca. I'd rather we just aspired to play them in Europe and left glamour friendlies to others. Our city neighbours managed it not so long ago.

hibsbollah
06-06-2019, 09:29 AM
Even before becoming European Champions again, it was virtually impossible to get tickets for Anfield, even if you belong to a regional supporters club somewhere else in the UK most of these guys are on a waiting list for tickets.

If it happens it's brilliant news for me, I'll definitely be taking Bollah Jr, who is a Liverpool fan and a Hibs fan. The closest he's ever got to seeing them live is the Anfield stadium tour. I am really sorry if this reality, that a boy can support two teams equally and passionately, offends those purer and more exalted fans out there.

blackpoolhibs
06-06-2019, 09:34 AM
How much to watch 2 clubs stroll around not laying a glove on each other?

Rather watch Corrie or Eastenders.

JimBHibees
06-06-2019, 09:37 AM
Even before becoming European Champions again, it was virtually impossible to get tickets for Anfield, even if you belong to a regional supporters club somewhere else in the UK most of these guys are on a waiting list for tickets.

If it happens it's brilliant news for me, I'll definitely be taking Bollah Jr, who is a Liverpool fan and a Hibs fan. The closest he's ever got to seeing them live is the Anfield stadium tour. I am really sorry if this reality, that a boy can support two teams equally and passionately, offends those purer and more exalted fans out there.

Same with my son though did take him to a Sunderland Liverpool game a few years back in the home end.

matty_f
06-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Fair bit of inverse snobbery on this thread. :greengrin

I have nothing against these things, if folk want to go and get a chance to see teams they might otherwise not get to, then that's a good thing, surely?

Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and saying they have to go.

hibsbollah
06-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Same with my son though did take him to a Sunderland Liverpool game a few years back in the home end.

I was thinking about doing the same at St James Park but not really the done thing in that part of the world to sit in the home end with a red shirt on:greengrin

CockneyRebel
06-06-2019, 10:01 AM

I have nothing against these things, if folk want to go and get a chance to see teams they might otherwise not get to, then that's a good thing, surely?

Exactly - don't like/fancy it? - don't go. Why come on here just to moan about something you have no interest in?

Pretty Boy
06-06-2019, 10:02 AM
It's not for me but it's not like the EPL is some mysterious unknown entity in Scotland. Both the league and Liverpool have a huge fanbase up here anyway so it's not like a one off game is going to have people burning their STs for ER, Tynecastle, Fir Park et al because they have discovered this new and exciting product.

hibee316
06-06-2019, 10:24 AM
How much to watch 2 clubs stroll around not laying a glove on each other?

Rather watch Corrie or Eastenders.

This for me.

I would love to see Liverpool and Napoli play a competitive game, not so sure about an exhibition match.

Didn't bother going to see Barca when they came over.

JimBHibees
06-06-2019, 10:27 AM
I was thinking about doing the same at St James Park but not really the done thing in that part of the world to sit in the home end with a red shirt on:greengrin

Agree leave the red shirt at home. :greengrin

we are hibs
06-06-2019, 11:21 AM
There were an incredible amount of "Liverpool" supporters on Facebook and Twitter over the last week who live in Scotland and probably haven't even set foot in the city in their life never mind anfield. Referring to Liverpool as "we" and "us". If only they put as much effort into supporting Scottish football as they do pretending to support these English sides then maybe Scottish football would be more attractive to outside investment. No problem in people following an English side and watching their games but this "we" and "us" ***** does my head in.

Antifa Hibs
06-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Understandable for a kid but completely weird when its adults. IMO you can't passionately support a team when you havn't seen them play or visited the city. It's also double-standards. "Look at all those old firm fans, gloryhunters all over the place wearing their strips and giving them their cash" then you have fans of Scottish clubs giving money to a billion pound company a few miles down the road.

hibbyfraelibby
06-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Not got an urge to watch Liverpool anywhere or on any medium. Have seen Napoli before and they were gash...we put 5 passed them at ER😉

BoomtownHibees
06-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Hope it never happens. A "glamour friendly" against Liverpool at Murrayfield sounds a bit cringey and desperate for me. Was bad enough against Barca. I'd rather we just aspired to play them in Europe and left glamour friendlies to others. Our city neighbours managed it not so long ago.

It’s not against us

Not In The Know
06-06-2019, 11:52 AM

I would hope the SFA told them to bolt.

There are enough edinburgh school kids running around in Premiership kits as it is.

tamig
06-06-2019, 12:10 PM

I’m not sure what a friendly has to do with the EPL to be honest.

Pete
06-06-2019, 12:26 PM
There were an incredible amount of "Liverpool" supporters on Facebook and Twitter over the last week who live in Scotland and probably haven't even set foot in the city in their life never mind anfield. Referring to Liverpool as "we" and "us". If only they put as much effort into supporting Scottish football as they do pretending to support these English sides then maybe Scottish football would be more attractive to outside investment. No problem in people following an English side and watching their games but this "we" and "us" ***** does my head in.

Spot on.

Liverpool Football club. The clue is in the name.

MagicSwirlingShip
06-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Just seen it’s confirmed. July 28th.

It will be Pizza 1926 on Dalry Rd for that authentic Neapolitan scran first of all. Wee Limoncello or two. Stroll round to Murrayfield. decent!

Salt N Sauzee
06-06-2019, 12:48 PM

Don’t understand all the crying over it either. Weird.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2019, 12:51 PM

They follow or support Liverpool in some way so I can’t see anything wrong in them describing themselves as we or us meaning they consider themselves part of the worldwide support.

FilipinoHibs
06-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Most Liverpool fans became fans when very young during the 70s/80s. That is glory hunters who have never grown up and cant take banter

neil7908
06-06-2019, 01:11 PM
I don't have an English team but will absolutely be looking to get tickets to see the Champions League winners in my home city.

Can't really understand the outrage from some on this.

adhibs
06-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know if there was a designated away end when this fixture was played in Dublin last year?

Guessing not, but would cost depending, make me go.

Keith_M
06-06-2019, 01:20 PM
I honestly don't see how this game is gong to affect Hibs or Hearts in any way.

I hope all those that do go enjoy themselves... though I doubt it'll be particularly exciting.

My_Wife_Camille
06-06-2019, 01:21 PM
A corporate snoozefest for the FIFA generation so they can take selfies in their half and half scarves and tell Instagram all about how they are die hard Liverpool fans who never miss a Liverpool game when it’s held in Edinburgh. Meanwhile the product on the pitch will be played with all the pace, passion and intensity as a game of travel scrabble and any player that is worth watching will be wrapped in cotton wool and subbed off at half time anyway.

Smartie
06-06-2019, 01:23 PM
To me, it's almost like a different sport.

All my life I've had folk mocking me for going to watch Hibs. F them, I enjoy it.

Those same people will happily pay a fortune to watch 2 disinterested squads of megastars have a meaningless kickabout. It's not my thing, but fair play to them, they can do what they want in their spare time.

SteveHFC
06-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know if there was a designated away end when this fixture was played in Dublin last year?

Guessing not, but would cost depending, make me go.

Hoping the cost would be decent for this.

Sure it was overpriced last year when they played in Dublin.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2019, 01:32 PM
I bet you half the folk at the Spice girls concert haven’t even seen them live let alone been to the places where they come from 😂

hhibs
06-06-2019, 01:34 PM

:top marks

hibsbollah
06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
I'm wondering if the 'GTF and support your local team' logic also applies to visitors to our fair city who choose to follow Hibs while they're here? Should they be barred from ER and ostracised on the basis they are from California or Poland or London? Weird logic if you ask me.

Since452
06-06-2019, 02:14 PM

Thats why these huge EPL grounds are filled with "fans" filming the opposition "fans" celebrating goals and trying to get selfies with the other teams millionaire playes. Their supports are diluted with fanboy tourists. If Liverpool were playing Napoli in my back garden I'd go shopping with the wife.

CapitalGreen
06-06-2019, 02:19 PM
Thats why these huge EPL grounds are filled with "fans" filming the opposition "fans" celebrating goals and trying to get selfies with the other teams millionaire playes. Their supports are diluted with fanboy tourists. If Liverpool were playing Napoli in my back garden I'd go shopping with the wife.

I've seen plenty people taking selfies at Easter Road and filming opposition fans.

Also, presumably the instances of fan behavior at Premier League games you dislike have come to your attention from watching their games on TV. I'd suggest TV audiences have done more to create a divide between the Premier league and our game than any glamour friendlies in Edinburgh have seeing as they typically occur about once a decade.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people moaning about modern football and the impact of the Premier league will watch their games on TV or down the pub. Or those moaning about the influence of the league on their kids will spend £50 on the new Fifa game every year which is very EPL-centric.

ac1
06-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Won’t be going to this - got me worked up slightly about the Edinburgh festival people being able to go - how about going to a real football game at Easter Road!

FRes Hibbie
06-06-2019, 02:33 PM
I'm wondering if the 'GTF and support your local team' logic also applies to visitors to our fair city who choose to follow Hibs while they're here? Should they be barred from ER and ostracised on the basis they are from California or Poland or London? Weird logic if you ask me.

Not quite the same.

One is individuals in a new city visiting the local team, the other is two clubs playing a game in Edinburgh ignoring the local teams.

Add me to the ‘no thanks’ list.

CapitalGreen
06-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Not quite the same.

One is individuals in a new city visiting the local team, the other is two clubs playing a game in Edinburgh ignoring the local teams.

Liverpool did the same recently in Madrid, disgraceful.

hibsbollah
06-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Not quite the same.

The point is though, do you consider the Californian Hibs fan as less of a true fan than a local who's lived here all his life? The Californian might have a season ticket, be working at Edinburgh Uni, and 'get the club' in every conceivable way, the boy from Lochend might just go out of habit and forgot why he even started following Hibs in the first place. Im not willing to make a judgement on that, or whether a Malaysian Man U fan is less of a 'real fan' than a Mancunian, its going into uncomfortable territory if you ask me. Its a global world.

Just enjoy what you're watching and avoid being judgemental I reckon.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Murrayfield is a venue that hosts entertainment, whether that be sport, music or anything else. I really don’t see why folk are so concerned about this. Liverpool are a global brand and this game gives their Scottish fans a much easier chance of seeing them live than they would normally have.

Smartie
06-06-2019, 03:10 PM
The point is though, do you consider the Californian Hibs fan as less of a true fan than a local who's lived here all his life? The Californian might have a season ticket, be working at Edinburgh Uni, and 'get the club' in every conceivable way, the boy from Lochend might just go out of habit and forgot why he even started following Hibs in the first place. Im not willing to make a judgement on that, or whether a Malaysian Man U fan is less of a 'real fan' than a Mancunian, its going into uncomfortable territory if you ask me. Its a global world.

Just enjoy what you're watching and avoid being judgemental I reckon.

Football is a great game that brings people together.

I love being able to blether with Liverpool fans, Barcelona fans, whoever and whatever, and it doesn't matter what their uberfan credentials are.

It's funny how animated folk get about this.

Football supporting habits have changed and evolved. My nephew loves Hibs. He also loves Messi and Barcelona, he loves being Arsenal when he's playing FIFA and likes Dunfemline because that's his grandad's team. We should be grateful for his Hibs part (the strongest by far btw) instead of pushing him away because he might have other interests in other teams, for whatever reason. I'm happy enough to let a 9 year old grow his love of football.

neil7908
06-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Murrayfield is a venue that hosts entertainment, whether that be sport, music or anything else. I really don’t see why folk are so concerned about this. Liverpool are a global brand and this game gives their Scottish fans a much easier chance of seeing them live than they would normally have.

Exactly. If people are that upset I presume they are not watching the EPL on Sky at the home or at the pub or the Champions League?

I love football. Hibs are the only team I support (I'm not even that fussed about Scotland these days) but I've been watch games in Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, Paris, Milan, Manchester and others over the last few years and loved every moment.

How many times are the European Champions playing in your back yard when you actually have a chance at getting a ticket!

The dalmeny
06-06-2019, 03:22 PM

This

chippy
06-06-2019, 03:23 PM
I’m a bit concerned about this. Does the SFA have a say in this? Indeed UEFA. Mega clubs playing in any city they choose is NOT good for football in general and most certainly it’s not in Hibs or Hearts interest nor in Scottish footballs interests. Scottish football should say fine both Napoli and the Pool can play in Edinburgh but vs Hibs or Hearts or both.

Hibernian Verse
06-06-2019, 03:25 PM
I’m a bit concerned about this. Does the SFA have a say in this? Indeed UEFA. Mega clubs playing in any city they choose is NOT good for football in general and most certainly it’s not in Hibs or Hearts interest nor in Scottish footballs interests. Scottish football should say fine both Napoli and the Pool can play in Edinburgh but vs Hibs or Hearts or both.Scottish football? It's being played at a rugby stadium and will be good for the local economy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chippy
06-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Oh meant to say .... stick your global brands where the sun does not shine. This is football imperialism

JimBHibees
06-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Totally agree quite looking forward to it.

Mantis Toboggan
06-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Oh meant to say .... stick your global brands where the sun does not shine. This is football imperialism

Its a one off friendly for logistical reasons in the summer at a rugby ground. Not exactly the end of the world

chippy
06-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Scottish football? It's being played at a rugby stadium and will be good for the local economy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So you’d be pleased if the SRU continued to host non Scottish football tourneys in Edinburgh or Glasgow for that matter. The local economy angle is a deflection. The game needs protected and developed here not replaced

chippy
06-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2019, 03:42 PM
I’m a bit concerned about this. Does the SFA have a say in this? Indeed UEFA. Mega clubs playing in any city they choose is NOT good for football in general and most certainly it’s not in Hibs or Hearts interest nor in Scottish footballs interests. Scottish football should say fine both Napoli and the Pool can play in Edinburgh but vs Hibs or Hearts or both.

Seriously?😂

CapitalGreen
06-06-2019, 03:43 PM
So you’d be pleased if the SRU continued to host non Scottish football tourneys in Edinburgh or Glasgow for that matter. The local economy angle is a deflection. The game needs protected and developed here not replaced

Did Hibs not play Wigan in Portugal or Spain a couple of years ago? Were you worried about their local teams on that occasion?

The 90+2
06-06-2019, 03:51 PM
It will make a good amount of money for the city too.

Fan boys are going to watch Liverpool etc regardless of playing here because kids watch on tv now. My laddie is more interested in a Man City and I’m fed up convincing him about Hibs so his wee brother comes now, saying that at least it’s not Celtic or rangers as it used to be when I was growing up. I’m hoping if he eventually likes football as much as me then he starts wanting to go to more live games with his brother and me (as well as my Hibs mad 3 year old daughter)

On the other hand my brother loves Liverpool and has done since they where ***** he grew up in the 90s so if he wants to bask in their glory and take his son to see them of that I’ve no problem, he attends Easter road all the time too.

Pete
06-06-2019, 03:56 PM

Interesting choice of words and I can see where you're coming from.

Call me old fashioned but I cling onto the geographical aspect when it comes to supporting sports teams. Back in days when the world was "smaller", people went to watch their local teams and therefore their money was spent locally, ensuring sporting success was usually relative to population and spread fairly evenly.

It's definitely all changed but not for the better. Money and the cutthroat nature of the sport means these "global brands" are competing for income from people everywhere who have access to games and products on all sorts of media. People have always had a favourite English team but back in the day you would get looked at funny if you said they were your main one. Nowadays it's common for people to get far more worked up about their English team than their Scottish one they probably grudgingly support or only do so because they hate Catholics/the Queen etc....

I often get counter arguments from Hearts fans from Dunbar or those from Forfar who support Dundee but it isn't the same. Unlike all the foreign Manchester United fans, they haven't tipped the balance in any way and can hardly be accused of glory hunting. Sure, there might be similarities in the logic but where is the glory in supporting Dundee or Hearts? Sorry, but any Liverpool fan who gets worked up about Liverpool and has nothing to do with Liverpool....it's fake in my eyes. The normalisation of the idea that "it's my right to support who I like" is leading to a growing gulf between the haves and have-nots of this game and it will only get worse.

If money from the game in its entirety was gathered and distributed equally I wouldn't be so concerned. It would ensure that the game survives beyond the big beasts, keep things more interesting and give potential fans of smaller clubs a bit of hope.

chippy
06-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Seriously?😂

Yes. Mind you neither club has a great record against Hibs....., running scared

Wakeyhibee
06-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Don't think a friendly will make any difference with wall to wall TV coverage of the EPL in Scotland.

Ski hats in the 80s always aligned with 3 or 4 different English clubs so the fascination has always been there. They were there in England but to to a lesser extent than Scotland as I recall and they were only concerned with the OF bigotry.

I was surrounded by English football as a kid growing up and my only source of Scottish football was the vidiprinter at 4:45..... "Hibs 8 (eight) Kilmarnock 1" sent the house wild...and my old man's Sunday Mail which I had to wait to read after him.

Whilst I loved MOTD and English football in general I never did have an English team. If other people do ive no problem with that, but a friendly will not steal ours or any other teams support for that matter, Sky might.

Paisley Hibby
06-06-2019, 04:00 PM

Liverpool & Napoli coming to Edinburgh to play what is basically an exhibition match. Bears little relation to real football; it's just a bit of glamour and the kids will love it. Scottish football will be unaffected. I just can't see what's not to like?

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2019, 04:02 PM
If you don't want to go then don't, seems simple enough.

weecounty hibby
06-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Like it or not the EPL has world domination as one of its main aims, and it is probably already there. That is why the likes of Bournemouth could outbid celtic and rangers for a player and pay them more. People from the far East, middle East, USA, south America and Scotland all paying money to Sky who in turn pay lots of money to EPL. The next iteration of this has begun with EPL clubs playing all over the world, now coming to Scotland. It's not how I want it to be but it won't ever change back.

Paisley Hibby
06-06-2019, 04:05 PM

Well said.

Bishop Hibee
06-06-2019, 04:12 PM

Agree with everything but the last paragraph. Nothing wrong with playing Barca but the game should have been at Easter Road.

hibsforeurope
06-06-2019, 04:13 PM
I’m looking forward to this game, chance to see some top players playing close to home.
Don’t get why folk are getting so worked up about it. Would there be the same reaction if it was city or united playing at murrayfield, I’d say not.

Pete
06-06-2019, 04:16 PM

:agree:

Likewise, if you want to go somewhere, just go.

HFC93
06-06-2019, 04:23 PM
I don't think I've ever been to a friendly that hasn't been utter guff.

Since452
06-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Generally find football that doesn't involve Hibs tedious

The 90+2
06-06-2019, 04:34 PM
I’m looking forward to this game, chance to see some top players playing close to home.
Don’t get why folk are getting so worked up about it. Would there be the same reaction if it was city or united playing at murrayfield, I’d say not.

Why wouldn’t there be?

I’m all for it. All the money they clubs will bring, why not? Lots of Italians and other tourists in the country at the time - bring it on. Get a Hibernian selling point in the city centre too.

The 90+2
06-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Generally find football that doesn't involve Hibs tedious

Did you grow up just supporting Hibernian and not playing football? If so it’s amazing to see the best footballers in the world and the things they can do live or even on tv. I had an old video of Pele randomly that thought me how to keepie upie with a tennis ball - never once went “this is tedious where’s Hibs v Falkirk?” You usually play football first want to be a specific player then get taken to games and choose your team. At least that’s what it was like growing up. Same as I wanted to go Boris Becker when Tennis came about, didn’t describe the rest of tennis tedious (unless it was Sampras)

hibsbollah
06-06-2019, 04:57 PM

Likewise, if you want to go somewhere, just go.

... And if you're not sure about going somewhere, have a wee think and the solution will probably become apparent. Remember, you don't have to decide straightaway.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Tickets go on general sale Wednesday 12 June

Greenbeard
06-06-2019, 09:17 PM
Through SRU or LFC?

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Through SRU or LFC?

Ticketmaster.

MagicSwirlingShip
06-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Where from?

Largshibby
06-06-2019, 09:57 PM

Cringey and desperate for who exactly? It's a one off chance to see something different albeit a friendly that will have little meaningful football content. If you don't like it don't go. Your view is small minded and pathetic. It's no wonder outsiders see Scots as parochial and backward thinking.

NAE NOOKIE
06-06-2019, 11:08 PM

Its a totally different thing. If I lived in Liverpool most of my football watching time would be spent at Goodison Park with trips to ER when I could afford it. I have no problem, absolutely none, with any person living in a city a long way from home following a local team.

But this isn't what we are talking about, we are talking about folk who ignore their local clubs to follow 'glamour' EPL clubs. I saw someone else on the thread say 'so what kids often follow two teams' and that's always been true, the difference is that these days a lot of kids follow EPL clubs as their main club with a Scottish club a distant second.

And if anybody thinks there's no harm in this game, then they should be asking themselves why EPL clubs take their knackered players on exhausting trips to China, the USA and elsewhere … Its not for the fun of it or the quality of the opposition or because the players are simply going to love it, its to attract shirt sales, sponsorship and tourist fans to their games. There are a dozen stadiums in England where Liverpool could play a friendly while Anfield is being used by the Spice girls or whoever …. let them play it at Twickers if they are so desperate to play in a rugby stadium.

Greenbeard
07-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Ticketmaster.
:aok:
Anyone got info on KO? SRU site says 12.00AM which I guess is a default time prior to confirmation. LFC site has it as TBC.
Afternoon or evening?

Since452
07-06-2019, 08:13 AM
Its a totally different thing. If I lived in Liverpool most of my football watching time would be spent at Goodison Park with trips to ER when I could afford it. I have no problem, absolutely none, with any person living in a city a long way from home following a local team.

But this isn't what we are talking about, we are talking about folk who ignore their local clubs to follow 'glamour' EPL clubs. I saw someone else on the thread say 'so what kids often follow two teams' and that's always been true, the difference is that these days a lot of kids follow EPL clubs as their main club with a Scottish club a distant second.

And if anybody thinks there's no harm in this game, then they should be asking themselves why EPL clubs take their knackered players on exhausting trips to China, the USA and elsewhere … Its not for the fun of it or the quality of the opposition or because the players are simply going to love it, its to attract shirt sales, sponsorship and tourist fans to their games. There are a dozen stadiums in England where Liverpool could play a friendly while Anfield is being used by the Spice girls or whoever …. let them play it at Twickers if they are so desperate to play in a rugby stadium.

Absolutely this. They're trying to increase their Scottish market it's that simple and they wouldn't play it in Glasgow. What other reason would there be? If i was Dempster or Budge I'd be seriously cheesed off. Already been mentioned but an Edinburgh team should have been involved.

Billy Whizz
07-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Absolutely this. They're trying to increase their Scottish market it's that simple and they wouldn't play it in Glasgow. What other reason would there be? If i was Dempster or Budge I'd be seriously cheesed off. Already been mentioned but an Edinburgh team should have been involved.

Anfield hosted Take That last night, probably the reason the pitch wont be ready for the new season
These clubs make more than enough from Scottish viewers, without trying to take our fans away
Just bolt Liverpool

CapitalGreen
07-06-2019, 08:29 AM

Considering LD traveled to Madrid to watch a game between 2 clubs not from Madrid, I am not sure she will be that bothered about 2 clubs not from Edinburgh playing in Edinburgh.

neil7908
07-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Anfield hosted Take That last night, probably the reason the pitch wont be ready for the new season
These clubs make more than enough from Scottish viewers, without trying to take our fans away
Just bolt Liverpool

Liverpool are unlikely to be particularly bothered about attracting fans from Scotland (population 5m). We are a drop in the ocean compared to China (1.4bn) or the US (330m).

I hope all on here that are raging against this will not be watching any of Champions League or EPL games next year. That is only bumping up viewing figures and therfore increasing the money flowing into English football from TV, which is the real issue.

Hibbyradge
07-06-2019, 08:41 AM
... And if you're not sure about going somewhere, have a wee think and the solution will probably become apparent. Remember, you don't have to decide straightaway.

If anyone is struggling to decide, I would recommend using a force field analysis to help with the decision.

Although this tool is most appropriate for decisions about change, it can be easily modified to help with every day uncertainties.

Antifa Hibs
07-06-2019, 08:46 AM

Yes. Reaction would be even worse if it was City - they truly are a despicable club. Least Utd and Liverpool have history. Amazes me all these people have an interest in English football but no-one seems to support Burnley or Palace.... funny that.

Those that support a top 4-6 English team. What's the difference between that and someone from Inverness or Dublin supporting Celtic and someone from Belfast and Ayr supporting Rangers?

Hibs and Hearts getting around 15k on a good day at £25 a pop. There will be people who have never been to either ground, never contributed a penny to football in Edinburgh or Scotland but will spend £100-150 on this day out.

Anyway mind your Salah wigs, selfie sticks and half and half scarfs. :greengrin

Greenbeard
07-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Fair point. Maybe get Naismith, Berra, Soutar, Doom, hairy c0ckr1ng etc to act as ball boys?

hibsbollah
07-06-2019, 09:00 AM

If anyone is struggling to decide, I would recommend using a force field analysis to help with the decision.

Although this tool is most appropriate for decisions about change, it can be easily modified to help with every day uncertainties.

Not heard of that but it sounds interesting.

The main thing to avoid of course, is not wanting to go somewhere but going anyway, or almost as bad, really wanting to go somewhere but staying at home instead. Make good decisions out there everyone :agree:

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Just bolt Liverpool

😂 Liverpool’s pitch will be ready for the new season.

calumhibee1
07-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Mental that folk seem to be getting upset about something which they can totally ignore and it'll have no impact on them. :confused:

worcesterhibby
07-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Mental that folk seem to be getting upset about something which they can totally ignore and it'll have no impact on them. :confused:

I don't agree with all the negativity, but it's not that they think it will have an impact on them, it's that they feel it will have an impact on Hibs...have you not read the thread ?

There are a significant number of young football supporters who spend more time and money supporting Top 6 English clubs than they do local clubs...that I would suggest is a cultural change since I was a boy...yes we usually had a 2nd team that were English (I loved Cloughies Forest) but I never bought a penny worth of merchandise or went to games...because I'm a Hibs supporter....that's just not the case anymore for many Edinburgh based football fans.

I can understand some of the hostility of Liverpool playing in Edinburgh against a club that's not from Edinburgh.

HFC93
07-06-2019, 09:52 AM
I don't agree with all the negativity, but it's not that they think it will have an impact on them, it's that they feel it will have an impact on Hibs...have you not read the thread ?

There are a significant number of young football supporters who spend more time and money supporting Top 6 English clubs than they do local clubs...that I would suggest is a cultural change since I was a boy...yes we usually had a 2nd team that were English (I loved Cloughies Forest) but I never bought a penny worth of merchandise or went to games...because I'm a Hibs supporter....that's just not the case anymore for many Edinburgh based football fans.

I can understand some of the hostility of Liverpool playing in Edinburgh against a club that's not from Edinburgh.

Nail on the head. You see more young kids wearing English Prem, Real Madrid & Barcelona shirts in Edinburgh than Hibs & Hearts shirts. A game like this is not good for Edinburgh football.

Hibbyradge
07-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Not heard of that but it sounds interesting.

The main thing to avoid of course, is not wanting to go somewhere but going anyway, or almost as bad, really wanting to go somewhere but staying at home instead. Make good decisions out there everyone :agree:

I'm not sure I agree.

I didn't want to go to the doctor's to see about a small, uncomfortable sore on my inner jacksie. In the waiting room, the feeling of not wanting to go increased dramatically when my name was called out by an absolutely stunning doctor, half my age, called Roxy.

I was tempted to ignore her and pretend I was someone else, but steeled myself and went anyway. "How's your day been do far?", I said "Because it's about to get worse".

Obviously she had to have a look, but she needed a chaperone. A male doctor wasn't available so she brought in a female nurse to have a look with her. Kin mortified.

Anyway, I was glad I went because she prescribed me an antibiotic cream which dealt with the sore and I got her phone number*.

*I didn't get her phone number.

calumhibee1
07-06-2019, 10:03 AM

I’ve read it. I just think it’s a huge stretch making out there’ll be some really meaningful impact on Hibs because of this. Surely the same argument could be made with us playing Newcastle? Young laddies wanting their dads to take them to see a premiership team then deciding they support them and want a Newcastle strip etc. All because Hibs brought them up to Edinburgh for a friendly..

Antifa Hibs
07-06-2019, 10:25 AM
I’ve read it. I just think it’s a huge stretch making out there’ll be some really meaningful impact on Hibs because of this. Surely the same argument could be made with us playing Newcastle? Young laddies wanting their dads to take them to see a premiership team then deciding they support them and want a Newcastle strip etc. All because Hibs brought them up to Edinburgh for a friendly..

Newcastle aren't one of the biggest clubs in the world. Newcastle are also playing Hibs. I'm looking forward to that one.

lord bunberry
07-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Murrayfield always host events every summer, we have the spice girls there pretty soon and no doubt others. This game is exactly the same. Loads of star struck fans filming the event on their phone. Each to their own, but it’s not for me. I really like watching Liverpool, but if I was going to see them it would be in a competitive game.

One Day Soon
07-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Really? Have you met .net before?

norhfc
07-06-2019, 10:39 AM
I will be in toon for this glamour game but will not be attending. Two good teams I grant you but as has been said above I,d rather attend a competitive game.

Scottish/Edinburgh football needs the promotion in the capital, not these two mega rich clubs.

One Day Soon
07-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Bloody foreigners. Coming over here, stealing our fans, playing attractive football, showcasing some of the best players in the world, giving a relatively inexpensive taste of what you'd pay a fortune for in its natural environment, attracting revenue into an Edinburgh stadium, providing first hand inspiration for a bucket of youngsters, putting on a spectacle for visitors to the city and adding to the cosmopolitan feel of Edinburgh as a visitor attraction.

I'm not going BTW, decision taken following a full SWOT analysis.

calumhibee1
07-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Newcastle aren't one of the biggest clubs in the world. Newcastle are also playing Hibs. I'm looking forward to that one.

Whether they’re playing Hibs or not surely the same logic could be applied? A team from the most watched league in the world being brought up to Scotland could still lead to plenty young Scottish football fans going along to see a team they’ll never see and be taken in by them (or just the EPL in general now that they’ve saw an EPL team) and be lost to Scottish football forever in the exact same way we could lose potential fans to Napoli or Liverpool?

calumhibee1
07-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Bloody foreigners. Coming over here, stealing our fans, playing attractive football, showcasing some of the best players in the world, giving a relatively inexpensive taste of what you'd pay a fortune for in its natural environment, attracting revenue into an Edinburgh stadium, providing first hand inspiration for a bucket of youngsters, putting on a spectacle for visitors to the city and adding to the cosmopolitan feel of Edinburgh as a visitor attraction.

Absolute ****bags.

Hibbyradge
07-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Good post and excellent choice of strategic planning tool.

Like you, I'm not going to go. Initially, I was keen to attend, but after undertaking an in-depth risk analysis, I decided to attend an important family birthday celebration instead.

One Day Soon
07-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Good post and excellent choice of strategic planning tool.

Like you, I'm not going to go. Initially, I was keen to attend, but after undertaking an in-depth risk analysis, I decided to attend an important family birthday celebration instead.

Well, why don't we not go together then? Only I also don't want to go to the birthday party either. It might compromise me on the birthday parties that I should really be focusing on.

Since452
07-06-2019, 11:08 AM
I've made my decision. I'm going. I'm going to boo the cheerleaders, boo the fancy fireworks, boo Mo Farah or whatever his name is and boo for 90 minutes. It's my money i'll do what i want. In fact i'll even boo the final whistle.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Should've arranged it for MK Dons ground then we could all not go.

Itsnoteasy
07-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Most Liverpool fans became fans when very young during the 70s/80s. That is glory hunters who have never grown up and cant take banter

The same glory hunters that jump on buses from all over Scotland to watch the old firm instead of following their local team.

Itsnoteasy
07-06-2019, 11:53 AM
I've seen plenty people taking selfies at Easter Road and filming opposition fans.

Also, presumably the instances of fan behavior at Premier League games you dislike have come to your attention from watching their games on TV. I'd suggest TV audiences have done more to create a divide between the Premier league and our game than any glamour friendlies in Edinburgh have seeing as they typically occur about once a decade.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people moaning about modern football and the impact of the Premier league will watch their games on TV or down the pub. Or those moaning about the influence of the league on their kids will spend £50 on the new Fifa game every year which is very EPL-centric.

I would disagree with your comment about Fifa.
Ronaldo, Neymar & De Bruyne are on the front cover & there is a choice of over 700 teams to choose including the Hibees from 30 countries round the world that is hardly EPL -CENTRIC

CapitalGreen
07-06-2019, 12:00 PM
I would disagree with your comment about Fifa.
Ronaldo, Neymar & De Bruyne are on the front cover & there is a choice of over 700 teams to choose including the Hibees from 30 countries round the world that is hardly EPL -CENTRIC

How does the level of detail given to the Premier League and it's teams and players compare to the rest, and in particular Hibs?

What is the only league to have all their stadiums featured in the game?

Is the commentary more or less detailed when discussing players from the Premier league compared to players from other nations/leagues?

When Fifa launched the Journey story mode, which league was central to the storyline?

The 90+2
07-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Nail on the head. You see more young kids wearing English Prem, Real Madrid & Barcelona shirts in Edinburgh than Hibs & Hearts shirts. A game like this is not good for Edinburgh football.

Yes it is. The more kids that wear the above tops than old form ones the better.

Albanian Hibs
07-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Looking forward to it and will be trying to get my son a ticket as well.

Brooster
07-06-2019, 01:04 PM
No doubt 67k people will fall for this gimmick.

Barman Stanton
07-06-2019, 01:12 PM
It really is astonishing the things people will moan about. This game is not stealing any Hibs fans. If Milan had been playing Napoli in a friendly here when I was a kid I would have loved to have went. Loved watching the likes of Van Basten, Maradona etc. I would still have been 100% a Hibs fan though.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Should've arranged it for MK Dons ground then we could all not go.

Haha yes!

we are hibs
07-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Yes it is. The more kids that wear the above tops than old form ones the better.

Hardly the better. Surely the more wearing hibs and hearts tops the better? Not sure why a kid wearing a old firm top is any different to them wearing a Liverpool , man u, Barca top. The same people who dig into old firm supporters from outside of Glasgow will be in their element as they buy Liverpool tops with salah on the back, fork out 50 quid a ticket and then the rest of their day out. Would many of them show the same commitment to their apparent club side? Lots wouldn't. There will be self proclaimed hibs and hearts fans who will go who are from Edinburgh yet won't get off their ***** when it's a big match involving their sides this season coming up. That's what annoys me.

Since452
07-06-2019, 02:17 PM
It really is astonishing the things people will moan about. This game is not stealing any Hibs fans. If Milan had been playing Napoli in a friendly here when I was a kid I would have loved to have went. Loved watching the likes of Van Basten, Maradona etc. I would still have been 100% a Hibs fan though.

Always been my dream to see Jordan Henderson and James Milner play

calumhibee1
07-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2019, 02:22 PM
No doubt 67k people will fall for this gimmick.

Nobody will be falling for anything, it’s not a gimmick just another pre season friendly on a neutral ground, there have been plenty.

HFC93
07-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Quite funny how many posters are unhappy because some Hibs aren’t buzzing about this friendly. It’s a football message board, alternative opinions n’all that.

McSwanky
07-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Always been my dream to see Jordan Henderson and James Milner play

Aye, right.

Maybe if you'd picked Salah, Van Dijk, Mane, Firmino, even Robertson, your comment might not be open to quite as much ridicule.

This is a funny one for me. When I was growing up in the 80s, if the current European champions had decided to play a game in Edinburgh, I don't think it would have been met with the derision we're seeing on here. In fact I think it would have been met with excitement. Why are people so down on this? Is it because:

1. They don't like Liverpool?
2. They don't like English teams?
3. They are angry because kids are attaching themselves to successful teams? Especially if they play attractive football? (Surely this has always happened - I have a liking for Liverpool based around growing up in the 80s - did I mention I grew up in the 80s? :greengrin)
4. They are angry, because, well, it's the Internet. And that's what we do on the Internet.

So if the price is right (on that point I have my doubts) I'll be there with at least one of the kids. Doesn't stop me, or my kids, being a Hibs fan.

As someone mentioned before, this is probably the only chance my lad will get to see Liverpool live in his childhood. He'll still be going to the Hibs games too!

Barman Stanton
07-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Aye, right.

Maybe if you'd picked Salah, Van Dijk, Mane, Firmino, even Robertson, your comment might not be open to quite as much ridicule.

This is a funny one for me. When I was growing up in the 80s, if the current European champions had decided to play a game in Edinburgh, I don't think it would have been met with the derision we're seeing on here. In fact I think it would have been met with excitement. Why are people so down on this? Is it because:

3. They are angry because kids are attaching themselves to successful teams? Especially if they play attractive football? (Surely this has always happened - I have a liking for Liverpool based around growing up in the 80s - did I mention I grew up in the 80s? :greengrin)
4. They are angry, because, well, it's the Internet. And that's what we do on the Internet.

So if the price is right (on that point I have my doubts) I'll be there with at least one of the kids. Doesn't stop me, or my kids, being a Hibs fan.

As someone mentioned before, this is probably the only chance my lad will get to see Liverpool live in his childhood. He'll still be going to the Hibs games too!

Mostly number 4 I think.

Barman Stanton
07-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Quite funny how many posters are unhappy because some Hibs aren’t buzzing about this friendly. It’s a football message board, alternative opinions n’all that.

Its more the claims that the game will potentially steal away Hibs fans that sounds absolutely absurd to some.

Hibbyradge
07-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Its more the claims that the game will potentially steal away Hibs fans that sounds absolutely absurd to some.

And it's about as absurd as they come.

Liverpool are on TV about twice a week. That's far more threatening to local teams than a meaningless friendly being played anywhere, never mind at a vast rugby stadium with a rubbish atmosphere.

One or two youngsters might choose Liverpool as their English team, but I'm sure their parents will still keep them right about who their real team is.

It's mostly just mean spirited jealousy.

Remind me, what does having a chip on your shoulder mean?

Hermit Crab
07-06-2019, 03:35 PM
There could be trouble at this. I've been to Napoli with Man City, their fans are absolute animals!

CapitalGreen
07-06-2019, 03:44 PM
There could be trouble at this. I've been to Napoli with Man City, their fans are absolute animals!

The key difference there is you were in Naples, not Murrayfield...

Bishop Hibee
07-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Yup. If you state you won’t go to this and think it detracts from Scottish football you’ll be slated.

lugz
07-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Personally I think this is great, an opportunity to see some of the best players in the world and not have to travel for it.
Unfortunately it's the wifes birthday who supports man United and can't stand Liverpool haha

Since452
07-06-2019, 04:53 PM
It's just a pitty it wasn't the best team in England playing Napoli. Now that would be worth going to see 😉

Brooster
07-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Nobody will be falling for anything, it’s not a gimmick just another pre season friendly on a neutral ground, there have been plenty.
It's a training session dressed up as a match. Pretend Liverpool supporters will be all over it, paying top dollar and posting selfies all over social media thinking they are following their team whilst probably having never been near Anfield in a long time if ever.

CapitalGreen
07-06-2019, 05:04 PM
It's a training session dressed up as a match. Pretend Liverpool supporters will be all over it, paying top dollar and posting selfies all over social media thinking they are following their team whilst probably having never been near Anfield in a long time if ever.

As our tie vs Newcastle will be too.

Plus I’ve seen plenty folk taking selfies at Easter Road - not sure why people think that something that would be unique to this game.

Beefster
07-06-2019, 05:04 PM

Mrs Beefster is an ex-Arsenal season ticket holder, I’ve had a season at ER since the mid-90s, mini-Beefster has grown up on a diet of Hibs knocking generally between the Championship and mid-table Premiership and Scotland being utter pish.

There’s no Liverpool supporters amongst us and we don’t really use social media but I’m quite looking forward to taking them to see some of the best players in the world, playing a game where we’re not invested in the result, right on my doorstep tbh.

HFC93
07-06-2019, 05:05 PM
It's just a pitty it wasn't the best team in England playing Napoli. Now that would be worth going to see 😉

Nor the best team in Italy. It's an insult to Edinburgh public that they're being served an Anglo-Italian League Runners Up Super Cup.

PH91
07-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Aye, right.

I would say it is because the overpaid and overhyped epl clubs only talk down our scottish game so rather than welcoming and pumping more money into them by pandering to their glamour half and half scarf friendly p*sh i would rather tell them to f*** off. If they want to come play in our city/country it has to also promote our game and not just theirs.

Greenbeard
07-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Good to see one of my all-time fav tv comedy characters is alive and well.
Viva Victor Meldrew.

The 90+2
07-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Hardly the better. Surely the more wearing hibs and hearts tops the better? Not sure why a kid wearing a old firm top is any different to them wearing a Liverpool , man u, Barca top. The same people who dig into old firm supporters from outside of Glasgow will be in their element as they buy Liverpool tops with salah on the back, fork out 50 quid a ticket and then the rest of their day out. Would many of them show the same commitment to their apparent club side? Lots wouldn't. There will be self proclaimed hibs and hearts fans who will go who are from Edinburgh yet won't get off their ***** when it's a big match involving their sides this season coming up. That's what annoys me.

Nope.

Kids wearing old firm tops - more of them no chance of ever becoming hibees, they get used to winning/religion/ supporting some sad cause.

Kids wearing fanboy EPL/Barca tops - chance of getting back in later years, if not less old firm fans.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2019, 07:37 PM

It’s a friendly like all others, get over it.

Brooster
08-06-2019, 06:00 AM
It’s a friendly like all others, get over it.

So it is.

Hermit Crab
08-06-2019, 06:10 AM

Agree, complete waste of time for both clubs and a needless inconvenience to the residents of the area.

marinello59
08-06-2019, 06:30 AM
Agree, complete waste of time for both clubs and a needless inconvenience to the residents of the area.

It’s not a waste of time for the thousands who will attend and take enjoyment out of the fixture. Where’s the harm in it. We really can be a bunch of miserable ****s over nothing here sometimes. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
08-06-2019, 06:35 AM
It’s not a waste of time for the thousands who will attend and take enjoyment out of the fixture. Where’s the harm in it. We really can be a bunch of miserable ****s over nothing here sometimes. :greengrin

Its our right to moan about things for the sake of it. :greengrin

bingo70
08-06-2019, 06:37 AM

To me the EPL is just a tourist destination now anyway, if this game makes it a bit of a cheaper trip for some of these fans of EPL clubs then good luck to them.

I’m toying with the idea of taking my boy as it will probably be quite a good occasion. I suspect it’ll be priced at tourist football fan prices though which will probably rule me out but if it’s priced as a pre-season training match then I’ll maybe go along.

Hermit Crab
08-06-2019, 06:44 AM
To me the EPL is just a tourist destination now anyway, if this game makes it a bit of a cheaper trip for some of these fans of EPL clubs then good luck to them.

I’m toying with the idea of taking my boy as it will probably be quite a good occasion. I suspect it’ll be priced at tourist football fan prices though which will probably rule me out but if it’s priced as a pre-season training match then I’ll maybe go along.

Champions league winners playing in a match against Italian giants. Suspect it will be tourist prices, probably £50+ a ticket.

Since452
08-06-2019, 06:47 AM
If it was a similar price to the recent womans international I'd consider it. £5 a ticket might get close to a sell out.

bingo70
08-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Champions league winners playing in a match against Italian giants. Suspect it will be tourist prices, probably £50+ a ticket.

Yeah I think you’re right.

So many tourists around then, people will pay it so good luck to them. Won’t be me paying those prices though.

we are hibs
08-06-2019, 06:56 AM
Imagine it sells out at 50 quid a ticket and Liverpool chuck out a reserve side :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2019, 07:03 AM

2 of the biggest clubs in Europe have deemed it not a waste of time so I'd fancy there is some thought behind it

GreenCastle
08-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Doubt the tickets will be cheaper than £25 each.

Expect it to be £25 to £50 easily.

I can understand why people are going to this plus missing it.

The bigger picture is the EPL is so global that it does loose that local element to it.

Many teams stadiums are full of tourists with half and half scarves taking selfies of any teams who score a goal.

Scottish Football has MANY issues but one of the positives is that it is still quite raw and stadiums are full of locals from the community etc.

I have been to games at Old Trafford and Anfield and a bit like Murrayfield for the rugby you don’t feel the same as sitting in the East Stand due to the huge stadium and the ticket prices you had to pay.

Spartans fans may say the same about going to watch Hibs or Hearts. Everyone has their own tastes and how they relate to football.

It will be a glorified friendly with players not wanting to get injured / subs at half time etc but that’s pretty common.

The best thing Hibs could do is stage a game the day before or after and try entice fans to Easter Road and Murrayfield- with a double football offering but doubt that’s any use for those wanting to make £££ / pay the bills at Murrayfield.

blackpoolhibs
08-06-2019, 10:45 AM
It will be on the telly, i still wont watch it. To be fair i don't watch Hibs friendlies much either.

Scouse Hibee
08-06-2019, 10:49 AM

😂

StirlingHibee
08-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Naysayers who engage in excessive complaining and negative banter. Naysayers who consistently view the glass half empty and make one-way trips to negative town and do nothing but emphasise the worst of a situation. I respect your opinion.
As for me - I will be going to the match. Every friendly match has a gimmick element to it - most of going get that. So what if the teams will be weakened - these are two of the best teams in Europe. Looking forward to a good day out.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-06-2019, 11:17 AM

It’s completely different. A child in Edinburgh wearing an Old Firm top means they have chosen to ignore the two clubs closer to them and follow a Glasgow team. A child in Edinburgh wearing a Barca or Juve strip could still be a massive Hibs fan with full home and away kits and a season ticket. I had a Barca strip every season growing up in the 90’s from holidays in Spain, didn’t stop me also having the Hibs strip every season.

overdrive
08-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Any word yet on prices? I found a thread about their game last year in Dublin on some ticket exchange forum and going by some of the face values quoted there, I think a few people might be priced out of this. €40 seemed to be on the cheaper end of the scale.

NAE NOOKIE
08-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Aye, right.

I'm one of the anti this game advocates on here, so let me address your points:

1) I don't like Liverpool, but that wouldn't stop me going to watch their exciting brand of football, and who cant like Jurgen Klopp. In fact I've been to Anfield to watch them when Dalglish was playing.

2) I have absolutely nothing against English teams, in fact I have a soft spot for Everton and try to take in a game at Goodison whenever I visit my brother's family in Liverpool.

3) And this is where we address the real issue many of us have with this game. This isn't like back in the day when Scottish kids had an English team of choice as an add on to the Scottish club they supported, this is an era where that has been turned on its head for too many kids. We are now in an era where leagues like the EPL ( especially the EPL ) are aggressively pursuing a policy of attracting global fan bases. When it comes to their activities in Asia and north America that equates to attracting TV pay per view fans, shirt sales and football tourists … the owner of Cardiff City didn't change the teams colours to red on a whim, it was a cynical attempt to attract support in Malaysia where red is a significant cultural colour.

As I said in another post the ridiculous pre season tours EPL clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool undertake every season has nothing to do with pre season preparation and everything to do with promoting their clubs and the league to international TV and tourist markets. The difference between doing that in China and doing it in Scotland is that they are on our doorstep and the 'fans' they attract here have easy access to EPL grounds, especially in the north of England, and going there can be a frequent occurrence not a once in a lifetime holiday trip.

That's what this game is, a promotional exercise in an era where its already difficult for Scottish clubs to compete with the packed stadiums and glamour of the EPL which is forced down our throats on Football Focus and MOTD every Saturday. An era where far more than ever before too many Scots when they say 'WE' are talking about Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle Utd, Man City etc etc and not Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee Utd etc etc. I personally know of three families, who though swearing allegiance to Hibs and Hearts, still make far more trips to the grounds of their EPL team of choice than they do Easter Rd or Tynecastle …. as I also said in another post, our group of ER season ticket holders is on the cusp of losing a long standing ST holding Hibby to Liverpool through the strenuous efforts of his mums Scottish Liverpool supporting partner.

That's why folk saying what's the problem just coz they aren't playing Hibs or Hearts are entirely missing the point. and why Liverpool and Napoli can take this game and ram it.

4) As vacuous a statement as my favourite modern brainless phrase 'haters gonna hate'

Smartie
08-06-2019, 01:04 PM
We're selling record numbers of season tickets, attendances at Easter Road (and Tynecastle) are a high as they've been in my lifetime.

Are Liverpool REALLY taking kids away from our games?

In my line of business we often talk about competition. Some folk think there is a finite amount of business out there, competition is to be feared as it takes away from your share. Others prefer there to be a buzz, for more providers to be involved, to have customers and potential new customers talking about what you do, and you all get extra business from other people's marketing.

If Hibs were playing in front of crowds of 5000 I think I'd be more concerned, but we're not. Hibs and Liverpool offer people different football supporting experiences and are in truth not remotely in competition. We have a higher profile poster on this site who is a Liverpool born scouser with Liverpool his first love. He manages to watch them from a distance, never stops supporting them but has a local team as his local team.

After this game is played, do we think there will be more young Hibs fans who never want to go back to see Hibs again because seeing the mighty Liverpool has given them a hunger for watching football of a higher standard from distance, or might there actually be a few youngsters who fall in love with the game who might be more open to being taken along to see a team on their doorstep?

Since452
08-06-2019, 01:11 PM
I just feel that in an era where our game gets unfairly slagged rotten (mainly by ignorant Englanders), we shouldn't be going out of our way to promote their money drenched product in our country. It's already rammed down our throats constantly.

cabbageandribs1875
08-06-2019, 01:16 PM
I would say it is because the overpaid and overhyped epl clubs only talk down our scottish game so rather than welcoming and pumping more money into them by pandering to their glamour half and half scarf friendly p*sh i would rather tell them to f*** off. If they want to come play in our city/country it has to also promote our game and not just theirs.

this :agree: i'd rather pay to watch a Brechin v Montrose reserve game

:)

Eyrie
08-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Any word yet on prices? I found a thread about their game last year in Dublin on some ticket exchange forum and going by some of the face values quoted there, I think a few people might be priced out of this. €40 seemed to be on the cheaper end of the scale.

People will be willing to pay that minimum £40 to see a glorified bounce match between two half strength teams whose players are just looking for a little fitness and to avoid injury.

Meanwhile there will be protests if Hibs charge £15 maximum for a league cup group game.

I know which of the two I'll be at. The former is like seeing the Spice Girls in a stadium and the latter is like seeing your favourite band in a small club.

LancashireHibby
08-06-2019, 07:07 PM
People will be willing to pay that minimum £40 to see a glorified bounce match between two half strength teams whose players are just looking for a little fitness and to avoid injury.

Meanwhile there will be protests if Hibs charge £15 maximum for a league cup group game.

I know which of the two I'll be at. The former is like seeing the Spice Girls in a stadium and the latter is like seeing your favourite band in a small club.
Rightly or wrongly, one is considered to be an event - and a rare one, at that - whereas a League Cup group game against lower league opposition isn’t exactly ‘not to be missed’.

Hermit Crab
08-06-2019, 07:08 PM
Rightly or wrongly, one is considered to be an event - and a rare one, at that - whereas a League Cup group game against lower league opposition isn’t exactly ‘not to be missed’.

Elgin away! Can't wait lad!

McSwanky
08-06-2019, 08:15 PM

1) I don't like Liverpool, but that wouldn't stop me going to watch their exciting brand of football, and who cant like Jurgen Klopp. In fact I've been to Anfield to watch them when Dalglish was playing.

2) I have absolutely nothing against English teams, in fact I have a soft spot for Everton and try to take in a game at Goodison whenever I visit my brother's family in Liverpool.

3) And this is where we address the real issue many of us have with this game. This isn't like back in the day when Scottish kids had an English team of choice as an add on to the Scottish club they supported, this is an era where that has been turned on its head for too many kids. We are now in an era where leagues like the EPL ( especially the EPL ) are aggressively pursuing a policy of attracting global fan bases. When it comes to their activities in Asia and north America that equates to attracting TV pay per view fans, shirt sales and football tourists … the owner of Cardiff City didn't change the teams colours to red on a whim, it was a cynical attempt to attract support in Malaysia where red is a significant cultural colour.

As I said in another post the ridiculous pre season tours EPL clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool undertake every season has nothing to do with pre season preparation and everything to do with promoting their clubs and the league to international TV and tourist markets. The difference between doing that in China and doing it in Scotland is that they are on our doorstep and the 'fans' they attract here have easy access to EPL grounds, especially in the north of England, and going there can be a frequent occurrence not a once in a lifetime holiday trip.

That's what this game is, a promotional exercise in an era where its already difficult for Scottish clubs to compete with the packed stadiums and glamour of the EPL which is forced down our throats on Football Focus and MOTD every Saturday. An era where far more than ever before too many Scots when they say 'WE' are talking about Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle Utd, Man City etc etc and not Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee Utd etc etc. I personally know of three families, who though swearing allegiance to Hibs and Hearts, still make far more trips to the grounds of their EPL team of choice than they do Easter Rd or Tynecastle …. as I also said in another post, our group of ER season ticket holders is on the cusp of losing a long standing ST holding Hibby to Liverpool through the strenuous efforts of his mums Scottish Liverpool supporting partner.

That's why folk saying what's the problem just coz they aren't playing Hibs or Hearts are entirely missing the point. and why Liverpool and Napoli can take this game and ram it.

4) As vacuous a statement as my favourite modern brainless phrase 'haters gonna hate'3) How do you square this with the fact that Hibs currently have a fairly constant number of season ticket holders which is higher than anything I've seen in my lifetime? And i grew up in the 80s don't you know... I'm not sure, but I think you could say the same for Hearts. Football in Edinburgh seems to me to be in rude health despite the horrible tactics of those South of the border.

4) As much as you think it's rubbish, I have to disagree. There's a fair amount of that on this thread if you ask me. Just my opinion!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
08-06-2019, 09:36 PM
3) How do you square this with the fact that Hibs currently have a fairly constant number of season ticket holders which is higher than anything I've seen in my lifetime? And i grew up in the 80s don't you know... I'm not sure, but I think you could say the same for Hearts. Football in Edinburgh seems to me to be in rude health despite the horrible tactics of those South of the border.

4) As much as you think it's rubbish, I have to disagree. There's a fair amount of that on this thread if you ask me. Just my opinion!

Regards the first point, you are absolutely correct and I for one want to keep it that way … encouraging an EPL sales pitch in Edinburgh wont help IMO.

As for the second point … you suggested folk were annoyed about this just for the sake of it and that for me is just not the case. Some of us are passionate about the game here and especially Hibs, therefor we are defensive about the preservation of it … In view of that this is an absolutely legitimate subject for us to be voicing concern about … its not moaning for the sake of it.

McSwanky
08-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Regards the first point, you are absolutely correct and I for one want to keep it that way … encouraging an EPL sales pitch in Edinburgh wont help IMO.

As for the second point … you suggested folk were annoyed about this just for the sake of it and that for me is just not the case. Some of us are passionate about the game here and especially Hibs, therefor we are defensive about the preservation of it … In view of that this is an absolutely legitimate subject for us to be voicing concern about … its not moaning for the sake of it.

You didn't really answer my first point though, did you? Hibs' recent great attendance figures have been achieved despite you suggesting that the EPL etc have been marketing more aggressively than ever. How do you square that off? Maybe, just maybe, the two are unrelated? And is one game featuring the team who finished second in said league really going to make that much of a difference?

As for your second paragraph, we'll just have to disagree on this. I think it's mountains out of molehills and people getting their knickers in a twist about nothing much. You believe it's a much bigger deal and that this one game will have a negative impact on Hibs' fanbase in the future. That's your prerogative.

Some of us are indeed passionate about the Scottish game, and Hibs in particular. It doesn't stop us enjoying other football too, and if two massive teams are putting on a show in your back yard...

worcesterhibby
09-06-2019, 07:41 AM
It should be this...

Newhaven
09-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Any rugby season ticket holders check your email as the SRU have a presale via ticketmaster

CockneyRebel
09-06-2019, 01:14 PM
You didn't really answer my first point though, did you? Hibs' recent great attendance figures have been achieved despite you suggesting that the EPL etc have been marketing more aggressively than ever. How do you square that off? Maybe, just maybe, the two are unrelated? And is one game featuring the team who finished second in said league really going to make that much of a difference?

As for your second paragraph, we'll just have to disagree on this. I think it's mountains out of molehills and people getting their knickers in a twist about nothing much. You believe it's a much bigger deal and that this one game will have a negative impact on Hibs' fanbase in the future. That's your prerogative.

Some of us are indeed passionate about the Scottish game, and Hibs in particular. It doesn't stop us enjoying other football too, and if two massive teams are putting on a show in your back yard...

Excellent post!

Since452
09-06-2019, 01:16 PM

Totally agree

Spike Mandela
09-06-2019, 01:37 PM
I can’t get remotely interested in Hibs friendlies or even testimonials. In the case of testimonials I would rather donate to someone I thought worthy of recognition rather than attend these kind of sham matches. I am not criticising those that do, it is just something I tired of years ago.

As for a friendly involving two clubs I don’t support, well, i just can’t get excited about it. If it’s your bag, enjoy it, have a good day, take the kids, have a hotdog, just don’t bring me back a two team scarf as a souvenir.:greengrin

CockneyRebel
09-06-2019, 03:34 PM

4) As vacuous a statement as my favourite modern brainless phrase 'haters gonna hate'

Absolute cr*p! You are on the verge of paranoia.

CapitalGreen
09-06-2019, 05:42 PM

Fair play for actually making it that far through the post.

SteveHFC
09-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Any rugby season ticket holders check your email as the SRU have a presale via ticketmaster

Any idea mate on ticket prices in the pre sale.

Scouse Hibee
09-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Any idea mate on ticket prices in the pre sale.

No idea but pre sale is tomorrow so all will be revealed.

hibby6270
09-06-2019, 08:08 PM
How about a different analogy and way of looking at this game as worthwhile going to.

I give you music concerts. Bruce Springsteen, Supertramp and Elton John.
Fairly diverse trio of acts but nevertheless pretty popular in their genre.

Why do I mention them?

Well, I’m not the greatest fan of any of them but like a few of their ditties.
My main point though is that all 3 have been appearing in a city I happened to be in whilst they were on tour and I thought, I’m here, they’re here, why not go along to see them.

Springsteen in Toronto. Supertramp in Vancouver. Both there whilst I was visiting family.
OK - Elton John was only at Meadowbank but hey that’s only a short 34 bus trip away to see a genuine pop music legend.

So why any true football loving fan would begrudge a 22 bus journey to the home of rugby to see today’s versions of teams we have previously demolished at ER back in the 60s/70s!! is beyond me. I’m not clamouring to attend but if the ticket prices are reasonable, from a purely footballing viewpoint, I don’t see why I shouldn’t.

hibsbollah
09-06-2019, 08:28 PM

Your main gripe against this game seems to be that it represents greed and promoting your product aggressively into new markets.

I'm surprised that you are surprised. This is the way football has been for some time now. There's no sense that this fixture represents a new low in any sense. You may as well argue against global capitalism from a political perspective (and I've done so on numerous occasions!) but if you're going to follow football in the early twenty first century you have to swallow up certain principles to a certain extent and just watch the fantastic sport on offer . That's life.

Pagan Hibernia
09-06-2019, 08:46 PM

Which part of that paragraph highlighted is absolute cr*p? It seemed pretty much on the money.

i have no problem myself with people supporting anyone they want and attending any matches they want. Freedom of choice and all that, and I suppose I should probably support my local Irish league club more rather than making all those trips over to Easter road... but anyone who thinks the multi-billion pound EPL businesses (they’re not really football clubs anymore are they) are playing friendlies outside of England for any reason other than attracting new markets for their products are kidding themselves.

still. They are fabulous football teams no doubt about it. I can understand why people would want to watch them.

marinello59
09-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Which part of that paragraph highlighted is absolute cr*p? It seemed pretty much on the money.

i have no problem myself with people supporting anyone they want and attending any matches they want. Freedom of choice and all that, and I suppose I should probably support my local Irish league club more rather than making all those trips over to Easter road... but anyone who thinks the multi-billion pound EPL businesses (they’re not really football clubs anymore are they) are playing friendlies outside of England for any reason other than attracting new markets for their products are kidding themselves.

still. They are fabulous football teams no doubt about it. I can understand why people would want to watch them.

What new market are they attracting by playing in Scotland? Trying to get tickets for Liverpool Home games is near enough impossible, they certainly aren’t available in large numbers. And most of us have Sky Sports and BT. So where’s the drain in funds from Scotland to England coming from apart from sales in replica tops?

Smartie
09-06-2019, 09:22 PM
How about a different analogy and way of looking at this game as worthwhile going to.

I give you music concerts. Bruce Springsteen, Supertramp and Elton John.
Fairly diverse trio of acts but nevertheless pretty popular in their genre.

Why do I mention them?

Well, I’m not the greatest fan of any of them but like a few of their ditties.
My main point though is that all 3 have been appearing in a city I happened to be in whilst they were on tour and I thought, I’m here, they’re here, why not go along to see them.

Springsteen in Toronto. Supertramp in Vancouver. Both there whilst I was visiting family.
OK - Elton John was only at Meadowbank but hey that’s only a short 34 bus trip away to see a genuine pop music legend.

So why any true football loving fan would begrudge a 22 bus journey to the home of rugby to see today’s versions of teams we have previously demolished at ER back in the 60s/70s!! is beyond me. I’m not clamouring to attend but if the ticket prices are reasonable, from a purely footballing viewpoint, I don’t see why I shouldn’t.

Has going to any of those gigs affected your enthusiasm to go to see the Spice Girls or Wu Tang Clan in concert, or made you not want to stick on a Jimmy Shand CD?

I simply don't believe that we have a finite number of "customers" that all football clubs are fighting over and that this game will have a negative effect on Hibs. Quite the opposite, I think having the European champions playing in our city will give youngsters an extra buzz about football, a buzz that Hibs can benefit from in many ways.

Sir David Gray
09-06-2019, 09:30 PM

If it's as much as that then I hope people boycott it.

£50 for a pre-season kickabout would be disgusting.

It should be no more than around £10-15 for a friendly.

Sammy7nil
09-06-2019, 09:52 PM
If it's as much as that then I hope people boycott it.

£50 for a pre-season kickabout would be disgusting.

It should be no more than around £10-15 for a friendly.

IMHO it will be a range of £25 - £35 a ticket possibly with decent consessions to encourage more people to attend. If that turns out right it is laughable to watch two teams who give not a jot and will include a number of fringe players.

heretoday
09-06-2019, 10:01 PM
I'd rather see Hearts v The Spice Girls.

SteveHFC
09-06-2019, 10:10 PM
IMHO it will be a range of £25 - £35 a ticket possibly with decent consessions to encourage more people to attend. If that turns out right it is laughable to watch two teams who give not a jot and will include a number of fringe players.

Anymore than £25-30 then can stick the tickets where the sun don’t shine.

hibby6270
09-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Has going to any of those gigs affected your enthusiasm to go to see the Spice Girls or Wu Tang Clan in concert, or made you not want to stick on a Jimmy Shand CD?

I simply don't believe that we have a finite number of "customers" that all football clubs are fighting over and that this game will have a negative effect on Hibs. Quite the opposite, I think having the European champions playing in our city will give youngsters an extra buzz about football, a buzz that Hibs can benefit from in many ways.

Whoah!! I’d draw the line at the Spice Girls. And anyway, it was raining last night, so stuff that LOL!!

Funny you should mention Jimmy Shand. It has just reminded me I have seen him perform live believe it or not. Many years ago while on holiday in Aviemore with my mum & dad, he was recording a live show to be released on record. I was dragged along as a very reluctant 12/13 year old. Not the best evening I’ve ever experienced.:rolleyes:

I’m not against this game taking place on our doorstep. Those that want to go, will go. Those who don’t, won’t. I just don’t get all the vitriol being spouted about EPL this, EPL that!!

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2019, 12:52 AM

Is it. So Arsenal go to China to Play Chelsea in a friendly match because that's so much easier than playing it at Stamford Bridge or the Emirates … seriously? :faf:

Look mate, I'm fine with folk who don't agree with my take on this …. and a guy in response to one of my posts made a pretty valid point about how healthy ST sales have been for Edinburgh's clubs lately .. but if you don't think these EPL outlandish friendly tours are as much a promotional exercise as they are pre season preparation then your naivety massively outweighs my paranoia :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Fair play for actually making it that far through the post.

Sorry mate, next time I'll include pictures just for you :aok:

Hermit Crab
10-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Pre sale starts today but theres no ticket prices available on the site.

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/360056C4D1579C7D?did=uklivnappretm19&irgwc=1&utm_term=431519&utm_source=10079&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1136448&utm_content=7559&clickId=X6-3VoUywxyJUdYwUx0Mo3EzUklUkC12cSoaXs0

CockneyRebel
10-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Is it. So Arsenal go to China to Play Chelsea in a friendly match because that's so much easier than playing it at Stamford Bridge or the Emirates … seriously? :faf:

Look mate, I'm fine with folk who don't agree with my take on this …. and a guy in response to one of my posts made a pretty valid point about how healthy ST sales have been for Edinburgh's clubs lately .. but if you don't think these EPL outlandish friendly tours are as much a promotional exercise as they are pre season preparation then your naivety massively outweighs my paranoia :greengrin

Your obsession with this particular match is proving my point. Okay Chelsea v Arsenal in China - obvious PR exercise aiming at the potentially huge Asian market. Liverpool v Whoever in Edinburgh aimed at what? - giving the potentially huge :rolleyes: Edinburgh (Scottish) market a taste of the EPL? - encouraging them to cross the border for their football fix? - apart from a few northern English clubs the cost of travel/tickets and travel time/costs would make that a non starter. All the PR exercises around the globe may cause a few folk to buy shirts/watch foreign teams on the tv but they won't attend matches on other continents on a regular basis, maybe catch the odd game on a holiday. IMO these matches won't affect whether or not potential Hibs supporters are lured away to watch any of the big names south of the border. It may well tempt some Scottish fans to adopt a second club to support, I know many Hibees who have an English team that they follow but it never seems to affect their allegiance to Hibs. I agree that there is an strong element of greed involved through merchandising but I can't see that affecting any of the Scottish clubs. I could go on and on but I feel any more would be going round in circles. Opinions eh?

danhibees1875
10-06-2019, 09:01 AM

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/360056C4D1579C7D?did=uklivnappretm19&irgwc=1&utm_term=431519&utm_source=10079&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1136448&utm_content=7559&clickId=X6-3VoUywxyJUdYwUx0Mo3EzUklUkC12cSoaXs0

That link says £28-67.

Scouse Hibee
10-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Cheapest £28, most expensive is £60 per ticket plus the £7 charge so £67 each for East Stand in pre sale just now.

CapitalGreen
10-06-2019, 09:15 AM
I've no issue with the game being in Edinburgh but the pricing is awful.

Hermit Crab
10-06-2019, 09:15 AM
That link says £28-67.

Seems you can only select the upper tier for £67.20.

Hermit Crab
10-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Cheapest £28, most expensive is £60 per ticket plus the £7 charge so £67 each for East Stand in pre sale just now.

Still quite steep for a kick about

Scouse Hibee
10-06-2019, 09:24 AM

No you can change the selection, just bought two £25 each plus fees came to £59.45

CapitalGreen

There is a option at the bottom to filter by Prices and Sections, if you don't change the filter it will just select the Best available seats.

tanfield

Thanks for the link. Tried it in the of chance and managed to get tickets! 👍

Not cheap but I managed to get the cheapest ones!

Hibeewilly
10-06-2019, 09:31 AM
I've no issue with the game being in Edinburgh but the pricing is awful.
Scandalous !! The Hibs are no playing so doesn't bother me as I wont be there

Greentinted
10-06-2019, 09:55 AM
I'd rather see Hearts v The Spice Girls.

Hearts would probably win that, but to be fair there’s only four Spice Girls and they’re in their 40s now!
Hearts to sneak it 1-0

Scouse Hibee
10-06-2019, 09:59 AM
So regardless of “General Sale” on Wednesday, you can buy tickets today in the “Pre Sale” . Seems strange but got mine so happy.

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Wow …. That's the walk up price for a Hibs Cat A game and the cut off point for me when arguments about Hibs pricing are on the go. I always defend Hibs on their general ST and walk up pricing, with the only time I agree its too high being the £28 for the Ugly sisters and Hearts.

If those prices are correct I'm not as worried about this game's effect as I was.

HFC93
10-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Wow …. That's the walk up price for a Hibs Cat A game and the cut off point for me when arguments about Hibs pricing are on the go. I always defend Hibs on their general ST and walk up pricing, with the only time I agree its too high being the £28 for the Ugly sisters and Hearts.

If those prices are correct I'm not as worried about this game's effect as I was.

Aye, but you’ll get to see James Milner going through the motions. Worth every penny.