PDA

View Full Version : Seeing a player at an airport. What would you do?

SkintHibby
04-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Im 49 and Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker were beside me at Faro airport on Friday who were holidaying together with their children. I work with mostly Rangers fans and would have loved to have got a selfie with Broony just to wind them up. Unfortunately my girlfriend was not impressed and told me to leave them alone.

By all accounts Broonaldo is a top guy who would have indulged me.

Thoughts?

Leave alone or ask?

Iggy Pope
04-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Im 49 and Scott Brown and Steven Whittaker were beside me at Faro airport on Friday who were holidaying together with their children. I work with mostly Rangers fans and would have loved to have got a selfie with Broony just to wind them up. Unfortunately my girlfriend was not impressed and told me to leave them alone.

Thoughts?

Leave alone or ask?

Last year I clocked LD at Edinburgh airport and took a photo of her on the sly and stuck it on here after I asked her if she was on the Zurich flight to Sign Flo....turns out she was.

Rattler
04-06-2019, 03:15 PM
I'd just ask him.

I used to see Scott & Craig Gordon at the David LLoyd gym in Corstorphine every Monday. Always happy to have a chat - well, Scott was anyway!

Since452
04-06-2019, 03:17 PM
I'd point at them, giggle then run away

HoboHarry
04-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Shook hands with Robert Fleck in an airport years and years ago. Think it was Heathrow but honestly too long ago to be sure....

J-C
04-06-2019, 03:18 PM
I drive a taxi and have met many famous punters over the years, tbh it really depends on the individual. I've had a good few selfies with them and also a good few who I soon realise are not up for chatting.

Peevemor
04-06-2019, 03:38 PM
I've told this story on here before.

Andy Watson and his Mrs were sitting at the next table to us in the West End Hotel. this was when he was assistant to McLeish at Ibrox, so was before everyone had mobiles with cameras on them (selfie wasn't even a word). One of my mates however did have a camera in his holdall and eventually turned and asked "any chance of a photo Andy?"

He answered "Aye, no bother".

So my mate went and sat in the empty seat next to Andy Watson's wife, put his arm round her shoulder, handed the camera to her husband and put on a big cheesy smile.

He burst out laughing and took the photo.

Spaniel
04-06-2019, 03:46 PM
I would hope they would ask me for a selfi.

PatHead
04-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Most players don't mind as long as you aren't in their face or disrupting family time.

Hibbyradge
04-06-2019, 03:50 PM

Andy Watson and his Mrs were sitting at the next table to us in the West End Hotel. this was when he was assistant to McLeish at Ibrox, so was before everyone had mobiles with cameras on them (selfie wasn't even a word). One of my mates however did have a camera in his holdall and eventually turned and asked "any chance of a photo Andy?"

So my mate went and sat in the empty seat next to Andy Watson's wife, put his arm round her shoulder, handed the camera to her husband and put on a big cheesy smile.

Ha, that's excellent.

Unseen work
04-06-2019, 03:54 PM
I think the majority of players deep down like it, especially if they were in front of there girlfriend or mates.

Obviously there’s a time, place and way to do it

JimBHibees
04-06-2019, 04:07 PM

:faf::faf:

SkintHibby
04-06-2019, 04:08 PM
They were together with their kids. Kris Boyd wandered up and gave them chat and cuddles. He was probably going on our flight to Glasgow whilst they were going to Edinburgh.

Gutted I listened to my football hating girlfriend instead of getting a selfie with Broony.

Iggy Pope
04-06-2019, 04:11 PM
They were together with their kids. Kris Boyd wandered up and gave them chat and cuddles. He was probably going on our flight to Glasgow whilst they were going to Edinburgh.

Gutted I listened to my football hating girlfriend instead of getting a selfie with Broony.

Now, if you’d tried Peevemoors mates tactic with that fat **** Boyd and his Mrs you’d be drinking out on that for a while!

Here’s Lucy!
04-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Always thought it would be a strange thing to do but once sat behind Emmanuel Petit on a flight to London. Asked him for his autograph and a photo. He was right as rain.

Unlike Charlie Nick in Heathrow who was as arrogant as hell.

SkintHibby
04-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Now, if you’d tried Peevemoors mates tactic with that fat **** Boyd and his Mrs you’d be drinking out on that for a while!

No chance. Kris Boyd is a rare breed. A hun you could actually like.:agree:

Hibernia&Alba
04-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Depends on the context. Asking in an airport is fine. I once sat a couple of places along from Bryan Robson and Norman Whiteside in a bar, but didn't say anything. Didn't like to intrude when the guys waere having a quiet drink. That was about seven years ago I think.

Hermit Crab
04-06-2019, 04:16 PM
Leave them alone.

Here’s Lucy!
04-06-2019, 04:18 PM
Depends on the context. Asking in an airport is fine. I once sat a couple of places along from Bryan Robson and Norman Whiteside in a bar, but didn't say anything. Didn't like to intrude when the guys waere having a quiet drink. That was about seven years ago I think.

Funny you should mention Norman Whiteside. I saw him at Edinburgh airport years ago with a Northern Ireland youth team over here to play a tournament. Asked for his autograph and he said 'who do think I am'? I said 'Norman Whiteside' and he told me I had the wrong guy.

No need for that in my opinion.

Iggy Pope
04-06-2019, 04:19 PM
No chance. Kris Boyd is a rare breed. A hun you could actually like.:agree:

I’ll leave it at that quite extraordinary observation. I once pestered Gordon Banks for his autograph even though he insisted he wasn’t Gordon Banks. I still have it. It wasn’t him.

Sudds_1
04-06-2019, 04:23 PM
I’ll leave it at that quite extraordinary observation. I once pestered Gordon Banks for his autograph even though he insisted he wasn’t Gordon Banks. I still have it. It wasn’t him.

🤣🤣🤣

Here’s Lucy!
04-06-2019, 04:24 PM

:faf:

Scouse Hibee
04-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Have met loads of players and indeed famous people over the years, satisfied that I have chatted with them, would never ask for autograph or picture.

SquashedFrogg
04-06-2019, 04:32 PM

🤣😂🤣 Genuinely lol'd at work

The Pointer
04-06-2019, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't be interested in getting an autograph from a famous player unless it was one of the Cup winning team (although I do have Big Franck's).

One of the few I've seen was Lee Dixon walking into a pub in Cornwall a few years ago and nobody really bothered him apart from the odd 'Oroit Lee?'.

Come to think of it, my daughter's a big Irvine Welsh fan and I got him to sign my programme when I was in hospitality a couple of years ago. She was gutted she never came with me but it was indecipherable as he was scoofed!

WoreTheGreen
04-06-2019, 05:02 PM
🤣😂🤣 Genuinely lol'd at work

I met Kenny D at EDINBURGH Airport.At time he was sort of buisness partners with Sandy Jardine, who was stayed close to us.I went up to K D and said SJ is our neighbor KD said “ I’ll no hold that against you son”

Since90+2
04-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Got a picture with Stokes in the Harp during a game last summer , think it was the Asteras away leg. He was fine , didn't say much.

Seen Josh Taylor in Mash Tun before a game a season or two back , he was sound. I think he was happy someone recognised him as he wasn't as well known back then.

Hibee Mac
04-06-2019, 05:14 PM
They must go on hols together a lot, I saw them both at Edi airport last year about this time. Decided against asking for a photo as they were with a few other mates having a laugh didn't want to bother them.

I'm sure they would have been sound about it if I'd asked nonetheless.

Here’s Lucy!
04-06-2019, 05:21 PM
They must go on hols together a lot, I saw them both at Edi airport last year about this time. Decided against asking for a photo as they were with a few other mates having a laugh didn't want to bother them.

I'm sure they would have been sound about it if I'd asked nonetheless.

Pretty sure they are best of mates.

heidtheba
04-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Loving the stories!

Re Andy Watson, having met his wife a few times, I'd much rather have had a selfie with her! A very attractive lady in all senses of the word.
Re Craig Gordon, spoken to him a couple of times when we've been out walking our dogs. A very modest and quiet bloke. I didn't mention I knew who he was and he was with his kids so we just talked about dogs.

I've told this story a few times but I took my primary class along to Tynie back in 98 for a session on technical drawing and perspective. We walked past the changing rooms just as the first team squad had finished up and came past us on their way out. A few blanked the kids, a few just smiled and one former Scotland international was a prize fandan about it. Steven Fulton, to his eternal credit, not only saw the kids and smiled but came back up towards them, told a few stories and signed anything they gave him. He came across as a bloke who loved his job and what it had given him. Top man.

I felt bad about some of the things I'd shouted at him during derbies!

Mick O'Rourke
04-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Most players don't mind as long as you aren't in their face or disrupting family time.

I have seen a couple of players at airports in the past.
But like you, i would not intrude if they were with others, like family, etc.

A nod in recognition or a "hiya" in passing doesn't seem so bad though.

I did speak to Jackie Mac senior at the bar in Edinburgh Airport a few years back.
But that was just two Hibernians chewing the fat ;-)

Pretty Boy
04-06-2019, 05:42 PM
I asked Gazza for an autograph and picture at Glasgow Airport when I was a bairn. He was running late for a flight but stopped, commented on the Hibs top I was wearing and said he always enjoyed playing at ER and told me to enjoy my holiday. For all his faults I've always had a soft spot for him after that.

I've been in a few players company over the years and most don't mind being asked for photos and the like as long as people show a bit common sense. Don't ask to shake their hand when they are having a slash or bother them when they are obviously busy with someone else or enjoying time with their families.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-06-2019, 06:02 PM
The most indulgent fan behaviour I saw was at a concert in London. Me and the missus were along from a Brazilian celeb. She was all loved up with her boyfriend and a couple of fans came up to her got him to shift from his seat next to her and then got him to take a photograph of them all! Had to laugh.

Speedway
04-06-2019, 06:11 PM
I’d go up to them, tell them it’s the likes of me that pay their wages and inform them that they OWE me a selfie at the very least but that I should really be entitled to 2% of the value of their contracts for life.

Onion
04-06-2019, 06:28 PM
Leave them alone. The last thing they want or need are random, adult strangers asking for selfies.

Except of course if was living Legends like Sir David of Gray, Lord Anthony of Stokes or Super John McGinn who are all fair game and have signed up to a lifetime of adulation :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Keep walking quickly to Spoons 😁

tamig
04-06-2019, 06:43 PM

Did that pair ever have a quiet drink?

Iain G
04-06-2019, 06:49 PM
I remember saying hello to Roland Edge in the subway west end one evening, my how times have changed!

Brummie_Hibs
04-06-2019, 06:54 PM
The Scotland team were on the same flight as me to Peru last summer. I got a picture with John McGinn just as we were getting our boarding passes checked.

However in my excitement, I managed to delete the photo.

But I plucked up the courage to ask him for another, just as we were getting on the plane. He was happy to oblige.

He's a really nice guy.

AltheHibby
04-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Not footballers, but when I were a lad I was at the Elderado in Leith for the wrestling and asked the Hells Angels (bad boy wrestlers, for those who don't know them) tag team for autographs.

As they were running for a taxi to Waverley they told me to remind them the next time that they had had to refuse. When I reminded them they couldn't have been nicer to the starstruck kid, and took me to meet the other wrestlers for autographs too.

To the point now. Back then it was a different world and me and my dad had no problem with approaching them, but I would hesitate these days, especially after the tennis player who was knifed a couple of years ago.

heidtheba
04-06-2019, 07:23 PM
I actually got a 'smile of acknowledgement' of John Collins last Tuesday. He was away somewhere with (I imagine) his family. Ridiculously well dressed and 'in-shape' guy.
I saw him, he saw me and we exchanged a smile and a nod.

Hibby Bairn
04-06-2019, 07:50 PM
I saw Paul Hanlon yesterday arriving into Palma with his wife/partner and a young child. Told my wife sitting next to me in the departure lounge and she was completely disinterested.

HibbyAndy
04-06-2019, 07:58 PM
My wee laddie has had about 10 selfies with Lewis Stevenson and on every occasion he has been been happy to oblige

# Lewysgot2

ruthven_raiders
04-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Not at an airport, but my wife, son and I were in our local Starbucks, and we saw SDG, Boyle, Hanlon, Mallan and Horgan having a coffee. I wasn't gonna trouble them as they were relaxing after training. But a guy did go over and they were more than happy to get pics taken, so I plucked up courage and got a pic with them. My daughter was raging she wasn't there to be in the pics 😂

Smartie
04-06-2019, 08:15 PM
I went on my first lads' holiday in 1995 when I was 17.

We saw Whigfield at Glasgow Airport but chose to leave her alone. I'd like to put this down to a selfless, dignified decision made by a group of mature young men but it was driven mainly by horrendous gawkiness and social ineptitude that would be quite dreadfully exposed over the following fortnight in Lloret De Mar.

I really hope the Danish beauty's lasting memory of Scotland is not the group of 14 Beavis and Buttheads s******ing and grabbling each other by the nuts as they seek to get away from their mums for the first reasonable length of time.

wpj
04-06-2019, 08:19 PM
I met a few when Pat Stanton had his pub in Joppa, one night half of the first team were in the pub having a meet with Pat, he looked up and said "dont tell Alex" (miller) you could see the players appreciated his advice. Nae selfies in those days though

PatHead
04-06-2019, 08:22 PM
On a slightly separate note--when I was a young pup someone told me that the Who were staying in the NB. My mate and I went to the hotel bar and "bumped" into them. We were invited into their company and got buckled. Then Roger Daltrey came in and told the rest of them to have one more then to get ready.

Was so pissed I can't even remember the concert.

One Day Soon
04-06-2019, 09:20 PM
I would hope they would ask me for a selfi.

Why was this dug put down?

Stantons Angel
04-06-2019, 10:52 PM
Both of them would have been ok being asked for a photo.

Tobias Funke
04-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Why was this dug put down?

Their posts reeked of faeces I think.

Mixu62
05-06-2019, 01:57 AM
My uncle Tony used to be the double of Tommy Burns. One time in NB's at the East End, as I killed time waiting for a bus back to Gala, I thought I saw him on his phone at the entrance. I said "awright Tony" on my way past. Well it wasn't my uncle Tony, it was Tommy Burns. He must have thought I'd said "Tommy" as he gave a wee nod and wave! As I descended the stairs to the bogs, I realised...Doh!!

SeanWilson
05-06-2019, 02:59 AM

Thoughts?

Leave alone or ask?

🤣🤣 My father in law (from Leeds and no allegiance to Scottish football) was sat next to him and his family in the exec lounge on the flight out there from Edinburgh. He took great pleasure in befriending him, having a drink and taking lots of selfies to put all over Facebook to show off his new pal to all his Sevco pals 🤣🤣🤣... That's what you do! 😉

RMQ1967
05-06-2019, 04:52 AM
I met Tony Mowbray on a flight to Pune in India a couple of years ago. Turns out Blackburn's owners live there & he was going to speak to them about that seasons budget.
Was quite happy to speak about Hibs & the players he had at the time - reeled them all off & where they moved on to.

greenlex
05-06-2019, 05:07 AM
I once saw John Collins eating chips. I wish I’d taken a photo instead of calling him fatty.

Since452
05-06-2019, 05:47 AM
I went on my first lads' holiday in 1995 when I was 17.

We saw Whigfield at Glasgow Airport but chose to leave her alone. I'd like to put this down to a selfless, dignified decision made by a group of mature young men but it was driven mainly by horrendous gawkiness and social ineptitude that would be quite dreadfully exposed over the following fortnight in Lloret De Mar.

I really hope the Danish beauty's lasting memory of Scotland is not the group of 14 Beavis and Buttheads s******ing and grabbling each other by the nuts as they seek to get away from their mums for the first reasonable length of time.

😂

Bangkok Hibby
05-06-2019, 08:18 AM
😂

I met Alex Higgins in the Royal Mile around 20 years ago. He was chatting to 2 Japanese tourists so I waited then told him I was a fan and asked him to sign my cap. He looked astonished and replied (in an Irish accent)that he wasn't Alex Higgins. I said "yea OK mate nobody looks like you, gimmee your autograph" The very confused guy signed my hat Michael McDonald, smiled and walked away. To this day I dont know if it was Alex having a laugh or the best lookalike ever.

thorbs
05-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Saw a few rugby players in airports in the past.
Met Ali McCoist in a restaurant in Glasgow one night, he was loving the attention, fat and full of red wine.
SJM hobbled past me in Glasgow one night too when I was in the car and saw him in a restaurant in Edinburgh one night after being at Murrayfield, he was with a bird. Both times was too scared to speak to him.

Mick O'Rourke
05-06-2019, 01:12 PM
I met Alex Higgins in the Royal Mile around 20 years ago. He was chatting to 2 Japanese tourists so I waited then told him I was a fan and asked him to sign my cap. He looked astonished and replied (in an Irish accent)that he wasn't Alex Higgins. I said "yea OK mate nobody looks like you, gimmee your autograph" The very confused guy signed my hat Michael McDonald, smiled and walked away. To this day I dont know if it was Alex having a laugh or the best lookalike ever.

That guy had you snookered

Just tell folks you met a former Hibernian goalkeeper who signed your cap

HibeeMassive
05-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Loving the stories!

Re Andy Watson, having met his wife a few times, I'd much rather have had a selfie with her! A very attractive lady in all senses of the word.
Re Craig Gordon, spoken to him a couple of times when we've been out walking our dogs. A very modest and quiet bloke. I didn't mention I knew who he was and he was with his kids so we just talked about dogs.

I've told this story a few times but I took my primary class along to Tynie back in 98 for a session on technical drawing and perspective. We walked past the changing rooms just as the first team squad had finished up and came past us on their way out. A few blanked the kids, a few just smiled and one former Scotland international was a prize fandan about it. Steven Fulton, to his eternal credit, not only saw the kids and smiled but came back up towards them, told a few stories and signed anything they gave him. He came across as a bloke who loved his job and what it had given him. Top man.

I felt bad about some of the things I'd shouted at him during derbies!

In a similar vein, my daughters were mascots against Hearts at ER a few years ago at new year. Kids and adults were in the dugout getting the tour when the Hearts bus pulled up at the end of the stand so we were all asked to stand back and let the players through as they came down the side of the pitch.

Every one of the players and coaching staff just kept the head down and walked through, apart from Robbo. He stopped and spoke to every mascot, asking who their favourite player was etc and got photos were they were requested.

tamig
05-06-2019, 01:25 PM

Maybe Michael kept forgetting who he really was?

Peevemor
05-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Maybe Michael kept forgetting who he really was?

I saw him one Saturday night in Roof(rough)tops in Glasgow along with Kirk Stevens, Jimmy White and some others - the Scottish Masters was on IIRC.

Higgins was totally mangled and probably wouldn't have remembered his name if asked. Jimmy Whitenose was very quiet and Kirk Stevens was giving it the Billy-Bigbaws with the women.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2019, 02:06 PM

You should've left him on his own.

J-C
05-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Used to play snooker with Andy Goram in the snooker club in Queen Charlotte St many moons ago, loved a bet did Andy. Used to train with Michael O'Neil and Alan Maybury at David Lloyd in Corstorphine, both really nice lads. Also became good mates with Alan "Chunk" Jacobsen and Chris Paterson of Edinbrgh and Scottish rugby, handy for freebie tickets at the time for the Edinburgh games. 😁

Neil4Hibs
05-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Always thought it would be a strange thing to do but once sat behind Emmanuel Petit on a flight to London. Asked him for his autograph and a photo. He was right as rain.

Unlike Charlie Nick in Heathrow who was as arrogant as hell.

I met Charlie Nicholas in a bar in Swindon just the other week - he couldn't have been more friendly, talked about Hibs for about 10 minutes or so with me - he loves John McGinn, thinks he is going to be a superstar, and he believes Neil Lennon engineered his departure knowing Celtc was coming up. He was more than happy to have photo's taken. He was only drinking coke as he was on an early flight to Glasgow the next morning for Billy McNeill's funeral.

Seemed a lovely guy to me, guess you catch people on different days.....

MSK
05-06-2019, 04:08 PM
Last year when heading to Italy (I think) in front of me in a queue at the airport were Ricky Ross and Lorraine Mcintosh from Deacon Blue and their Son, Gordon Strachan was with them too, think they were London bound, in fairness to them, they didnt pester me for photos or autographs 😆

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Last year when heading to Italy (I think) in front of me in a queue at the airport were Ricky Ross and Lorraine Mcintosh from Deacon Blue and their Son, Gordon Strachan was with them too, think they were London bound, in fairness to them, they didnt pester me for photos or autographs 😆

I never realised they were Gordon's parents.

MSK
05-06-2019, 05:09 PM
I never realised they were Gordon's parents.😆

Cod Boy
05-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Was in same pub as Jason Cummings on Saturday I asked him if he would do a short video for my son. Done it no problem

makaveli1875
05-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Not an airport but i was sat next to Daryl Horgan in the infirmary last week . Never got a chance to say anything

c31
05-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Was in same pub as Jason Cummings on Saturday I asked him if he would do a short video for my son. Done it no problem

Saw Jason tonight (I think it was him?), he was out runing along side the high ponds in Balerno.

overdrive
06-06-2019, 12:20 AM
Not footballers but Gordon Brown was directly in front of me on a flight from London City to Edinburgh a couple of years ago. We all had to wait to get off after him as he was whisked into a car on the runway with a police escort.

Cheryl Baker was on my flight from Cape Verde to Glasgow about 11 years ago.

HoboHarry
06-06-2019, 01:39 AM
Not footballers but Gordon Brown was directly in front of me on a flight from London City to Edinburgh a couple of years ago. We all had to wait to get off after him as he was whisked into a car on the runway with a police escort.

Cheryl Baker was on my flight from Cape Verde to Glasgow about 11 years ago.
If we are going with politicians then years ago I was attending a conference in a hotel in Perth (no idea which one) and the late Nicholas Fairburn bounced across the road wearing those daft tartan trews things, totally buckled and had to lean on my car to stop himself falling over. Colourful character indeed.....

Jones28
06-06-2019, 06:22 AM
I saw Dylan Mcgeouch in Waverley station a couple of years ago. The Mrs had a thing for him, she's thought he was cute and always tried his best. Anyway, it was on the escalators to the market street exit and we were going up and he was going down and I was so surprised to see him all I could splurt out was "Dylan! My missus loves you!"

What a twat. Don't do that kids.

weecounty hibby
06-06-2019, 07:08 AM
I saw Deek at the petrol station at the Kincardine way just after he had rejoined us. He was coming out of the shop as I was driving away. I rolled my window down and shouted to him "thanks for coming back to Hibs". I rolled the window back up turned round and my wife looked at me and just said "you are a total embarrassment!"
When we were in France I'm '89 for the world cup qualifier we how's into the whole squad as they were walking about Paris. Got loads of pictures taken with them and all happy to do that.
Met Dougie Cromb and other board members in a very dodgy district of Brussels when we played Anderlecht. We had obviously taken a wrong turn but they knew exactly where they were. No pictures were taken that night!!

Biggie
06-06-2019, 12:50 PM
When I was a wee boy, I waited outside a hairdressers in Stockbridge on Jimmy O'Rourke coming out !....he was sound, and scored a hat-trick (I think against FC Besa) the following night.
Met Graeme Souness at Edinburgh Airport, approached him and he game me his autograph no problem.
Met Lewis Stevenson in the M&S at the Gyle.....just said hi ledge and refrained from asking for a selfie with him...but he was sound as a pound.
Met Gary Player at Edi airport, got his autograph as well...and yeah he was dressed all in black !
Yet the only time I really felt "star struck" was meeting Peter Nicol and getting his autograph.

Hibrandenburg
06-06-2019, 02:10 PM
I remember my old man saying I'd have to sit in the back of the car as he had to drive someone home after a game. Door opens, Pat Stanton sits down and says "awright wee man" and that's the last thing about the journey I can remember. Think I might have been in shock.

CyberSauzee
06-06-2019, 02:47 PM
I once sat in the same row as Mark Lawrenson. It was an early Saturday evening flight from Heathrow to Manchester.

'Lawro' was obviously a regular as an attractive Liverpudlian stewardess came up and greeted him with an "Alright Lawro, how's it going?"

He is as miserable in real life as he comes across - "ah, not too bad thanks" was his dour reply. "Where you been?" continued the cheery hostess. "Stamford Bridge" was the monosyllabic response.

I thought to myself Christ, no wonder you talk shii_te on the tele, you're never at the games long enough to watch anything. He would have had to have left the ground not long after the 3pm KO to make the flight.

I didn't ask for an autograph. Did I mention he's miserable?

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2019, 02:59 PM
I sat in the row in front of John Collins and Sean Fitzpatrick the former NZ rugby player. I think they had both been doing punditry, can't remember what footy/rugby games. Can't remember where I was going either but I was on my own so it must've been a work thing. Anyway, I listened in to quite an interesting chat but didn't speak to them.

I spoke to Craig Brewster once, after he played for us. Just him, me and my son in a swimming pool changing room. I worked with a guy whose claim to fame was being in the same primary school footy team with CB in Dundee. He confirmed the story and talked about the Hibs etc. Really nice bloke.

Since452
06-06-2019, 03:13 PM
I once sat in the same row as Mark Lawrenson. It was an early Saturday evening flight from Heathrow to Manchester.

'Lawro' was obviously a regular as an attractive Liverpudlian stewardess came up and greeted him with an "Alright Lawro, how's it going?"

He is as miserable in real life as he comes across - "ah, not too bad thanks" was his dour reply. "Where you been?" continued the cheery hostess. "Stamford Bridge" was the monosyllabic response.

I thought to myself Christ, no wonder you talk shii_te on the tele, you're never at the games long enough to watch anything. He would have had to have left the ground not long after the 3pm KO to make the flight.

I didn't ask for an autograph. Did I mention he's miserable?

You know what these Irishmen are like

HappyAsHellas
06-06-2019, 10:20 PM
I was walking up through the new town from my mothers at Stockbridge and James Garner and Lauren Bacall were walking towards me (during the festival - many years ago). Garner had been saying he wouldn't do another series of the Rockford files due to limited mobility on his part so in desperation to say something to these Hollywood stars I shouted "James" at which he turned round, followed by "how's the knees mate?" He gave me quite a strange look but said nothing and Lauren Bacall just smiled like you would for an errant child.

Jim44
06-06-2019, 10:30 PM
A couple of years ago I posted this photo of my grandson with Jermaine Defoe at Malaga Airport. I think it was a thread about 'meeting famous footballers'. I was quite surprised when a few folk on here said that it was out of order and insensitive to ask him to pose for a photo as he was on his way back to the UK to attend the funeral of the wee guy who he had befriended while suffering from a serious illness. The truth of the matter was that Jermaine was quite approachable and happy to pose for photos with anyone who asked him.

s2hart
07-06-2019, 12:31 AM
I once seen Walter Smith in the Auld Alliance pub in Paris during the 98 World Cup it was after the Scotland v Morrocco(??) game I was wasted and he was stood on his own, I went up to him shook his hand and told he effing relegated us! Ask why he was not at the game said he gave his ticket away, then I left him alone, I wish I was a bit more sober and not a d**k and had a better chat with him!

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2019, 03:37 AM
I kept bumping into John Stones at the airport in Portugal last night, every time he tried to go past me he failed.

Hermit Crab
07-06-2019, 05:55 AM
Met Tildra Swinton and Lord David Steel the other day. Both very pleasant people.

JimBHibees
07-06-2019, 05:57 AM
I kept bumping into John Stones at the airport in Portugal last night, every time he tried to go past me he failed.

Or did he keep passing a ball to you even though you had a different coloured shirt on. :greengrin

JimBHibees
07-06-2019, 05:59 AM
You know what these Irishmen are like

He is not really Irish though is he.

eastmainsmsh
07-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Kerry katona at Dublin airport stunner she was with the boy Mcfadyen no James tho and Ronan Keating we were going to horse racing all the boys where shouting there were pissing themselves