PDA

View Full Version : Scotland vs Cyprus

Pages : 1 [2]

Hibs90
08-06-2019, 08:36 PM
Got to hope that Mulgrew and McKenna aren't the defensive pairing going forward, and a better player than O'Donnell is out there.

ben johnson
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! :faf:

Ffs get a grip

Brightside
Got to hope that Mulgrew and McKenna aren't the defensive pairing going forward, and a better player than O'Donnell is out there.

Correct.

One Day Soon
08-06-2019, 08:37 PM
i only started watching 10 mins before we scored and i think o'donnell has been utterly rank, lets not start calling up killie players

I think Clarke will be more willing than most to look beyond the Ugly Sisters for players, but just how far is the question.

HoboHarry
My Mrs makes a good point. What is it with Scotland that we can run England ragged for 45 minutes and so nearly beat them to being unable to dispense with lowly teams like Cyprus?

Don't know but if you figure out the answer remember and tell Hibs as well 😁

goosefat
This will send the 450 strong tartan army home happy from Hampdump.

Joe6-2
Provan, “two and a half minutes to go this has to go into the corner” I know needs must, but it’s f***ing Cyprus!

EdinMike
Wow. This is our level, scraping past Cyprus...

Pretty Boy
08-06-2019, 08:38 PM
McGinn off for McTomeney? Strange one.

Taking off the green tinted specs 2 of the chances Cyrpus had came from errors by McGinn when in possession.

If Clarke was looking to shore things up and see the game out then I can see his logic albeit it almost didn't work out like that.

HibbySpurs
Don't know but if you figure out the answer remember and tell Hibs as well 😁

This is very very true

Since452
Well done the women. Think we're gonna win this world cup

Ozyhibby
I think Clarke will be more willing than most to look beyond the Ugly Sisters for players, but just how far is the question.

So long as he stops picking Killie players we’ll be alright.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
Bizarre thing to say.

Onion
Irespective of how this turns out, Scotland have been crap. Left FAR too much to chance and lacked drive in a must-win home match against lower opposition.

Green Badger
08-06-2019, 08:39 PM

Further than Kilmarnock hopefully.

FT 2-1, phew!

Scouse Hibee
That will do, the better team won plenty for Clarke to work on.

California-Hibs
And theres the 2nd! Inpatient moaners logging off in 3...2.....1..

Steve Clarke miraculously goes from clueless to brilliant again all within 90 minutes! :na na:

Most important thing was the 3 points. Performance was decent enough, but far from spectacular. Steve Clarke teams give you fighting qualities to the very end and hopefully we'll start to see that on a regular basis now.

Get in!

Pretty Boy
My Mrs makes a good point. What is it with Scotland that we can run England ragged for 45 minutes and so nearly beat them to being unable to dispense with lowly teams like Cyprus?

Good teams come to attack, open up and play. Teams like Cyprus come to sit in for long spells and keep things tight. It's why Hibs under Stubbs could beat Hearts, Rangers and Aberdeen but often toiled against Morton and Raith Rovers.

The Modfather
08-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Best possible outcome. 3 points but a ropey performance which allows the usual suspects, despite the fact they apparently don’t care, a good old moan as well.

Hibs90
08-06-2019, 08:40 PM

:confused:

hfc rd
08-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Phew

HibbySpurs
08-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Good teams come to attack, open up and play. Teams like Cyprus come to sit in for long spells and keep things tight. It's why Hibs under Stubbs could beat Hearts, Rangers and Aberdeen but often toiled against Morton and Raith Rovers.

I did think Cyprus were very well disciplined at the back to be honest so I take your point.

Pretty Boy

I can see why he selected a few Killie players in the squad.

He's trying to introduce his own ideas and system so it makes sense to have players there that he trusts and who know how he operates given the limited time he has on this occasion.

I'm sure after the Belgium game is out of the way he'll spend more time actively seeking out the available players he wants.

lord bunberry
That will do, the better team won plenty for Clarke to work on.
:top marksIt wasn’t brilliant, but we deserved the win and Clarke will learn a lot from what he saw tonight.

Hiber-nation
08-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Over 30,000 but I'm sure you're happy with your witty contribution.

overdrive
08-06-2019, 08:43 PM
McLeish and McFadden would have drawn that one.

Pretty Boy
08-06-2019, 08:45 PM
A wins a win.

Clarke improved performances at Killie very quickly when he took over but results took a few weeks to come. Hibs went to Rugby Park and won 3-0 (I think) early in his tenure but it was obvious even that night that Clarke had improved them.

Tonight was arguably a reasonable improvement in performance against a pretty well disciplined and stuffy side coupled with a win. Given the start we have had and the fixture we have next any win tonight was a good win.

Hibee Mac
08-06-2019, 08:48 PM
Brophy absolutely anonymous, that'll be the end of that experiment. Well done Burke did what had to be done, soon as he came on we had some presence up top at least.

Forrest is not good enough at international level, he looks alright against half the spl that's about it

Ozyhibby
:top marksIt wasn’t brilliant, but we deserved the win and Clarke will learn a lot from what he saw tonight.

Hopefully he learns Brophy can’t play up front and O’Donnell is not very good at all.

cabbageandribs1875
sky sports interview in some foreign language :rolleyes:

Onion
08-06-2019, 08:49 PM
McLeish and McFadden would have drawn that one.

At best ... and I suppose that's the key point from tonight. We need someone who can dig out results at this stage, not play open losing football.

That's a good start for Clarke but will show him just how much work he has to do. That was far too close for comfort and our approach looked suspect in the first 45. Pleased for Oli getting his first goal and hope that will help him kick on in a Scotland shirt.

whiskyhibby
08-06-2019, 08:50 PM

I’m don’t think Brophy did anything in the game to warrant his inclusion, at least Burke had height and a physical presence when he came on and it reaped rewards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
08-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Hopefully he learns Brophy can’t play up front and O’Donnell is not very good at all.

Who would you have played instead?

Lago
08-06-2019, 08:51 PM
This!!

Your both determined to be disappointed.:confused:

heretoday
08-06-2019, 08:51 PM
I feel sorry for Clarke having to make something out of that squad. Mcginn and Robertson maybe Fraser are class.

Mulgrew?

overdrive
08-06-2019, 08:52 PM
O’Donnell: “there’s been a bit of negativity about the squad and maybe a few positions could be improved upon...”

Aye, right back. And centre half. And centre forward.

One Day Soon
08-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Well, 3 points is 3 points. He's got a 100% record...

Hiber-nation
08-06-2019, 08:54 PM
I feel sorry for Clarke having to make something out of that squad. Mcginn and Robertson maybe Fraser are class.

Mulgrew?

Who else would you play at centre half? Souttar?

The glaring weak links are centre forward and right back.

California-Hibs
Still rubbish.

How sad that thats the first thing you post after Scotland take the lead in a Competitive game, regardless of how things have/had been going. Sums some folk up perfectly sadly.

Hope you're irritated with the Scotland win.

overdrive

Mulgrew?

I think that’s green tinted specs there. McGinn could have cost us dearly more than once tonight (and it’s not the first time that’s been the case with him in a Scotland shirt).

Fraser is apparently statistically the second best attacking midfielder in Europe btw!

Green Badger
08-06-2019, 08:55 PM
I can see why he selected a few Killie players in the squad.

He's trying to introduce his own ideas and system so it makes sense to have players there that he trusts and who know how he operates given the limited time he has on this occasion.

I'm sure after the Belgium game is out of the way he'll spend more time actively seeking out the available players he wants.

Agreed. Timing for these 2 games from his appointment was very tight and the strategy of picking players he knows does make sense. He’s no doubt also learned tonight that Brophy is not ready for international football.

Billy Whizz
08-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Delighted with tonight’s result, winning was all that was important
Great 3 points, and I’m sure the Manager will have learned a lot from the game

Well done Scotland

Smartie
08-06-2019, 08:58 PM

Right back and up front are problem positions. He was entitled to go for players he knew to fill those positions.

It's easy to criticise the selections but there weren't bucketloads of better options overlooked.

I saw enough to be happy about, some stuff to be concerned about but I'm delighted with the win and points. I'm also confident we'll improve from here.

Hermit Crab
08-06-2019, 09:00 PM
You were saying
:faf: Sometimes your misery makes you look stupid.

Comedy defending, it was funny. Scotland got out of jail but were mostly gash. As a Scotland fan are you happy with failure after failure? :faf:

hibsbollah
3 points is all that matters.

PH91
***n brutal from Robertson. Couple of good goals for us but in general hes been poor for us

Hahahahahaha. Unbelievable.

Lago
08-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Clarke has effectively had days to select & work with the Scotland squad. If anyone thinks this is his definitive team think again, it's small steps & it's started with a win & that has obviously disappointed some on here. :agree:

Ozyhibby
08-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Who would you have played instead?

I think Burke showed in 20 mins that he should have started.

Ozyhibby
08-06-2019, 09:03 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190608/349c8076a8655c787235b124cb84328f.jpg

Sweet Left Peg
08-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Glad to get the win out of the way. We deserved it but it never looked a certainty.

There are certain positions that need to be addressed immediately in order to make us genuinely competitive. But on balance, I was more pleased with the performance that I have been in general over the last while.

We cannot afford to have our best players on the sidelines because we lack strength in depth. A fit Griffiths would have made that game a little easier, I think. Centre half is a position we struggle with which is frustrating because traditionally we have been good there. Same goes for GK.

Fraser was good and the link up play down the left was impressive. CF needs to be addressed too.

lord bunberry
08-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Mulgrew?
I disagree. We’re not a brilliant team, but we’re on a par with teams like Ireland that have consistently outperformed us for years. If Clarke can at the very least have us punching our weight, then we’ll go very close to qualifying for the Euros. The fact that we’re already in the playoffs makes this group almost like a free hit. I’m quietly confident we’ll qualify.

whiskyhibby

Completely agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

overdrive

The trouble there is that he hadn’t played that position until he went to Celtic in January. Then he lost his place (I think... maybe he was injured).

The Modfather
08-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Comedy defending, it was funny. Scotland got out of jail but were mostly gash. As a Scotland fan are you happy with failure after failure? :faf:

Have you ever heard any Scotland fan say they were “happy with failure after failure”?

Smartie
08-06-2019, 09:09 PM

He did, but until tonight he's not shown anything in a Scotland shirt and over the past few months he's not shown anything in a Celtic shirt to suggest he should have started.

ekhibee
08-06-2019, 09:09 PM
Don't think either team are anything special so it was always going to be a close result. Scotland won so we move on to the next game.

overdrive
08-06-2019, 09:10 PM
I disagree. We’re not a brilliant team, but we’re on a par with teams like Ireland that have consistently outperformed us for years. If Clarke can at the very least have us punching our weight, then we’ll go very close to qualifying for the Euros. The fact that we’re already in the playoffs makes this group almost like a free hit. I’m quietly confident we’ll qualify.

Yep. The comparison I would actually make is to Wales. They have done relatively well with one world class player (Bale) and one player at the level below that (Ramsay) surrounded by average players. We are kind of in that position now with Robertson and Fraser (I wouldn’t actually rate either of them as quite as good as their Welsh counterparts) so I would like us to be on a par with what Wales achieve.

Edit: we should definitely be out-punching Northern Ireland who seem to hold there own in groups with elite sides.

lord bunberry
08-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Tonight wasn’t a failure it was a victory. The new manager has had precious little time to work with the players and we showed great character to win that game. I’m old enough to remember what it was like when Scotland played in major competitions and it was absolutely brilliant even though we didn’t do very well. The whole country was gripped with football fever. I want to see that again next year and it could easily happen. You can sit and snipe from the sidelines if that’s what makes you happy, but I’ll keep on believing for now.

HoboHarry
08-06-2019, 09:11 PM

Stop talking crap. I'd be delighted if we won every game 2-1 regardless of the performance level.

lord bunberry
08-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Yep. The comparison I would actually make is to Wales. They have done relatively well with one world class player (Bale) and one player at the level below that (Ramsay) surrounded by average players. We are kind of in that position now with Robertson and Fraser (I wouldn’t actually rate either of them as quite as good as their Welsh counterparts) so I would like us to be on a par with what Wales achieve.
Absolutely. With the right manager we should be doing much better than we have. We might not match the recent achievements of Wales, but that should be the template we’re looking at.

Billy Whizz
08-06-2019, 09:14 PM

28 career starts, suggests that he’s still got a long way to go

jacomo
08-06-2019, 09:16 PM

:agree:

We lack depth and balance but at least Clarke has some genuine quality to work with.

rotherhamrob
08-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Personally I thought we deserved that and were the better team overall. We looked good down the left side, not so good on the right. Brophy probably isn't ready yet and I'd stick with Burke as he showed more in the 20 mins he was on.
Yes there's a long way to go to get the fans back on board but it's a start.

supermcginn
08-06-2019, 09:19 PM
How sad that thats the first thing you post after Scotland take the lead in a Competitive game, regardless of how things have/had been going. Sums some folk up perfectly sadly.

Hope you're irritated with the Scotland win.

Exactly. He said he turned it off just after half time because it was rubbish but that seems to have been attention seeking as he obviously carried on watching.. 3 points will do me.

Sammy7nil
08-06-2019, 09:20 PM
Brophy absolutely anonymous, that'll be the end of that experiment. Well done Burke did what had to be done, soon as he came on we had some presence up top at least.

Forrest is not good enough at international level, he looks alright against half the spl that's about it

Bophry
O'Donnell
Forrest
McGregor
Mulgrew

IMHO not good enough.

Here’s Lucy!
08-06-2019, 09:21 PM
He looks unbelievably old.

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

Cyprus. Let that sink in.

Here’s Lucy!
08-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Bophry
O'Donnell
Forrest
McGregor
Mulgrew

IMHO not good enough.

Mulgrew would only be good in a team of Mulgrews.

Or, in his opinion, in front of a mirror. Boy loves himself.

lord bunberry
08-06-2019, 09:25 PM

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

Oh piss off. He’s been in the door 5 minutes, we’re you expecting miracles. We won, it wasn’t impressive, but we won. Now is not the time to judge him. We’ve got two routes to the finals and the end of the campaign is the time when we can judge his performance.

Mainstandman
08-06-2019, 09:25 PM

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

Your point is what, we beat them 2-1 twice before. Once at home with mccoist and mo Johnston up front so we had arguably a much better side back then

overdrive
08-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Mulgrew would only be good in a team of Mulgrews.

Or, in his opinion, in front of a mirror. Boy loves himself.

He isn’t the centre half I’d be looking to replace in the short-term (obviously he is more than getting on). McKenna is the one I’d be looking to replace. £8m my arse.

HoboHarry
08-06-2019, 09:27 PM

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

Would we have been given 4 points if we had won 6-1?

Here’s Lucy!
08-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Oh piss off. He’s been in the door 5 minutes, we’re you expecting miracles. We won, it wasn’t impressive, but we won. Now is not the time to judge him. We’ve got two routes to the finals and the end of the campaign is the time when we can judge his performance.

The charm school is due your very good self a rebate.

ben johnson
08-06-2019, 09:29 PM

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

Football is on the up in Cyprus. Their club sides have had great results in Europe recently. They looked a very competent side tonight. We just had one of the best players in the world in our side. Let that sink in

The Modfather
08-06-2019, 09:30 PM

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

lord bunberry
08-06-2019, 09:30 PM
The charm school is due your very good self a rebate.
Haha that’s true.

Here’s Lucy!
08-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Haha that’s true.

Me too!

Apologies, I was a wee bit out of order.

Here’s Lucy!
08-06-2019, 09:34 PM

I don’t understand your sense of humour.

Here’s Lucy!
08-06-2019, 09:35 PM
Football is on the up in Cyprus. Their club sides have had great results in Europe recently. They looked a very competent side tonight. We just had one of the best players in the world in our side. Let that sink in

Yes, Robertson is very, very good.

We beat Cyprus 2-1.

California-Hibs
08-06-2019, 09:36 PM

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

Yep, just got done letting it sink in a bit more, and I can report I'm happy with the win, the 2-1 win. At home. Against Cyprus.

:aok:

HFC93
08-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Wins a win, surely no one was expecting Clarke to turn us into world beaters after a few weeks.

HoboHarry
08-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Wins a win, surely no one was expecting Clarke to turn us into world beaters after a few weeks.
Oh contraire, some on here were expecting that after 30 minutes of game time......

SteveHFC
08-06-2019, 09:46 PM
First half was pish but much better 2nd half. Delighted and we move on to Tuesday evening.

ben johnson
08-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Yes, Robertson is very, very good.

We beat Cyprus 2-1.

He is more than very good
I take your point as it pales into insignificance when you look
at the 2.0 thrashing Belgium gave them

cabbageandribs1875
08-06-2019, 09:54 PM
can we refuse to play on tuesday :greengrin

norhfc
08-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Don’t get all the Scotland haters on here, just don’t watch it or comment then. It’s not hard...really.

lord bunberry
08-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Me too!

Apologies, I was a wee bit out of order.
Not at all. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me :greengrin

Jdawg
08-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Personally I thought we deserved that and were the better team overall. We looked good down the left side, not so good on the right. Brophy probably isn't ready yet and I'd stick with Burke as he showed more in the 20 mins he was on.
Yes there's a long way to go to get the fans back on board but it's a start.

Brophy was absolutely terrible. Way out his depth. The only thing of note he did, when he was caught offside twice.

Mcpakeisgod
08-06-2019, 10:50 PM
Tonight wasn’t a failure it was a victory. The new manager has had precious little time to work with the players and we showed great character to win that game. I’m old enough to remember what it was like when Scotland played in major competitions and it was absolutely brilliant even though we didn’t do very well. The whole country was gripped with football fever. I want to see that again next year and it could easily happen. You can sit and snipe from the sidelines if that’s what makes you happy, but I’ll keep on believing for now.

👍👌Well said

Fergos
08-06-2019, 10:56 PM
He isn’t the centre half I’d be looking to replace in the short-term (obviously he is more than getting on). McKenna is the one I’d be looking to replace. £8m my arse.

Thank the lord someone agrees. I just don’t see what this boy has, it’s embarrassing that we still produce centre half’s that can’t pass a ball properly.

GGTTH

08-06-2019, 10:59 PM
Don’t get all the Scotland haters on here, just don’t watch it or comment then. It’s not hard...really.

Some of them are trolling.

Real Emerald
08-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Brophy was absolutely terrible. Way out his depth. The only thing of note he did, when he was caught offside twice.

When you look back on Scotland centre forwards through the ages I actually can’t believe we are down to playing players like Brophy. He is way way out of his depth. I have no ill wish against him and hope he can redeem himself but an International centre forward???

Diclonius
09-06-2019, 12:04 AM
Defence was solid. Midfield was ok. Up front was awful bar Fraser. Still, a win's a win and Clarke has loads of time to get it right.

19Leith75
09-06-2019, 02:31 AM
Time for some reform at the SFA. New manager, same rubbish, and I'm not blaming the manager in the slightest. Despite the win, we were 2 minutes away from our qualification campaign being finished having only played Kazakstan, San Marino and Cyprus. This result just plasters over the cracks.

hibbiedon
09-06-2019, 04:36 AM

55% don’t even want Scotland to be a nation

heretoday
09-06-2019, 04:38 AM

I'm preparing myself to agree with you!

HibbySpurs
09-06-2019, 05:14 AM

Ahhh from football trolling to political trolling in one easy step.. Bravo sir bravo!

Perhaps try getting a life?

Colr
09-06-2019, 06:36 AM
Time for some reform at the SFA. New manager, same rubbish, and I'm not blaming the manager in the slightest. Despite the win, we were 2 minutes away from our qualification campaign being finished having only played Kazakstan, San Marino and Cyprus. This result just plasters over the cracks.

It was time for a comprehensive coaching programme at all levels of the game 20 or 30 years ago. Like Iceland did.

hibbydog
09-06-2019, 07:01 AM
Och, Scotland were ok, nothing more and the new manager will improve them in time.

There was a real lack of quality all through the team (Robertson and Fraser excepted) and my overwhelming feeling was deflation since we’ve sunk so low as to need a late winner at home to beat Cyprus, who will feel they deserved a draw.

Apathy reigns. Fearful for Tuesday.

southsider
09-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Just play the lassies. They wouldn’t do any worse. Players getting paid thousands can’t pass the ba 5 yards.

Ardenttwo
09-06-2019, 07:23 AM
can we refuse to play on tuesday :greengrin

I wish

BoyledEgg
09-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Ahhh from football trolling to political trolling in one easy step.. Bravo sir bravo!

Perhaps try getting a life?

He’s right....

Keith_M
09-06-2019, 08:02 AM

Why would you take delight when things go badly? Posting ROFL emojis?

You're making yourself look like an idiot.

BILLYHIBS
09-06-2019, 08:10 AM

:agree:

:saltireflag

Bishop Hibee
09-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Happy with the 3 points and the second half performance was more like it. We need Griffiths back up front. What a goal from our world class Captain 🚀

BILLYHIBS
09-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Happy with the 3 points and the second half performance was more like it. We need Griffiths back up front. What a goal from our world class Captain 🚀

Hibs need Griffiths back upfront! :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
09-06-2019, 08:19 AM
I have a theory that we have become overloaded with neat and tidy midfielders because of our neat and tidy academy coaching. Pass forever. How have we not managed to develop decent centre backs or strikers in the past 20 years?

southsider
09-06-2019, 08:20 AM
When my Euro million’s ticket comes up on Tuesday he’s in

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2019, 08:33 AM

We beat Cyprus 2-1 ffs.

At home.

Germany only managed a 2-0 win against Belarus.

Belarus, let that sink in.

Oh yeah, the world champions France got beat by Turkey, Turkey Ffs, they used to get hammered 10-0 regularly about 20 years ago. You need to face the fact that football has changed in the last couple of decades. 3 points is all that matters at this stage.

09-06-2019, 08:36 AM
Och, Scotland were ok, nothing more and the new manager will improve them in time.

There was a real lack of quality all through the team (Robertson and Fraser excepted) and my overwhelming feeling was deflation since we’ve sunk so low as to need a late winner at home to beat Cyprus, who will feel they deserved a draw.

Apathy reigns. Fearful for Tuesday.

The late winner was 7 minutes earlier than Richard Gough's against them in 1989 to keep our Italia '90 campaign on track.

https://youtu.be/Kc18Zk5DEcg

Pretty Boy
09-06-2019, 08:40 AM
Belgium beat Cyprus 2-0, they received 3 points.

Scotland beat Cyprus 2-1. We received 3 points.

That's all the sinking in that really needs to happen. After the debacle of the 1st game winning the next 2 was all that mattered.

CockneyRebel
09-06-2019, 08:47 AM

You just can't help yourself eh?

The 90+2
09-06-2019, 08:50 AM
We won, we build. People need to calm down there’s no easy games at international level.

bingo70
09-06-2019, 08:51 AM
We won, we build. People need to calm down there’s no easy games at international level.

Try telling that to the Russians.

CockneyRebel
09-06-2019, 08:51 AM
He’s right....

Probably a bit to the left?
Really interesting football comments. Keep on track.

Hermit Crab
09-06-2019, 08:58 AM

I'm not bothered a ****.

Allant1981
09-06-2019, 09:03 AM

Yip, and plenty of teams won by 3 or more goals in the last few days, to suggest as some have done there are no easy games in wrong, Scotland just arent very good but we need to build on the win last night and move forward. 3 points was what was needed and 3 points was gained so all in all a decent night

Sir David Gray
09-06-2019, 09:12 AM

Oh yeah, the world champions France got beat by Turkey, Turkey Ffs, they used to get hammered 10-0 regularly about 20 years ago. You need to face the fact that football has changed in the last couple of decades. 3 points is all that matters at this stage.

Around 20 years ago, Turkey were beating Germany and The Netherlands in qualifying matches for the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000. It's a shock that they've beaten France yesterday but they're not exactly pushovers.

danhibees1875
09-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Around 20 years ago, Turkey were beating Germany and The Netherlands in qualifying matches for the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000. It's a shock that they've beaten France yesterday but they're not exactly pushovers.

France should be expecting to win though.

Spain should beat the Faroe Islands more than 4-1 and Germany should win more than 2-0.

The point is that it's the 3 points that matters for us. :aok:

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Ok then 30 years ago. Showing my age :greengrin

JimBHibees
09-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Belgium beat Cyprus 2-0, they received 3 points.

Scotland beat Cyprus 2-1. We received 3 points.

That's all the sinking in that really needs to happen. After the debacle of the 1st game winning the next 2 was all that mattered.

The only bottom line that matters. These games at the end of a season are never easy especially for a guy just in the door. Good 3 points some good stuff some stuff we can do better as Clarke himself said after the game.

Hibbyradge
09-06-2019, 09:47 AM

For us ...

Since452
09-06-2019, 09:50 AM

There's been a lot of money ploughed into the Cypriot game. They're not a bad side. As others have said Belgium only beat them 2-0 and they're one of the best teams in the world.

Pretty Boy
09-06-2019, 10:01 AM
I don't think it's I correct to say there are no 'easy' games at international level. For most countries with a full time football infrastructure and a half decent talent pool games against the likes of San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar etc should be fairly routine and can be made to look'easy'.

There has definitely been an evolution in the quality of teams from states borne from the break up of Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and the Soviet Union. Latvia have been to a major tournament since Scotland last were. Croatia, Slovenia, Czechia and Slovakia are either regular or increasingly regular fixtures at major tournaments in the last couple of decades. Bosnia. who qualified for the last World Cup and are ranked 24 in the world, were beaten by Cyprus in the Euro 2016 qualifiers. In the same campaign Wales, who beat Belgium on their way to qualifying, only beat Cyprus 2-1 and 1-0. Belgium scraped a 1-0 away win thanks to a goal in the last 5 minutes. I don't think any of them found games against Cyprus easy.

Cyrpus don't win a lot of games but they don't take many hammering either. They are well drilled and a 1 goal win is comparable to what better teams than us have managed in recent times.

where'stheslope
09-06-2019, 10:34 AM
I don't think it's I correct to say there are no 'easy' games at international level. For most countries with a full time football infrastructure and a half decent talent pool games against the likes of San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar etc should be fairly routine and can be made to look'easy'.

There has definitely been an evolution in the quality of teams from states borne from the break up of Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and the Soviet Union. Latvia have been to a major tournament since Scotland last were. Croatia, Slovenia, Czechia and Slovakia are either regular or increasingly regular fixtures at major tournaments in the last couple of decades. Bosnia. who qualified for the last World Cup and are ranked 24 in the world, were beaten by Cyprus in the Euro 2016 qualifiers. In the same campaign Wales, who beat Belgium on their way to qualifying, only beat Cyprus 2-1 and 1-0. Belgium scraped a 1-0 away win thanks to a goal in the last 5 minutes. I don't think any of them found games against Cyprus easy.

Cyrpus don't win a lot of games but they don't take many hammering either. They are well drilled and a 1 goal win is comparable to what better teams than us have managed in recent times.
Adding to what you say, I would also say that the so called smaller teams have some of their players playing in different countries full time, while the rest are part time.
Before we had a lot of players playing all over the European scene and most were in top teams in England.
I even remember we had discussions about only picking players playing in the Scottish football system???
Now we are looking for players who's granny had a nip of whisky, to try and improve our playing pool???
A new manager is not going to fix everything, but he can help by applying pressure to his bosses to lift Scottish football into the 21 st century and not spend its money on Hampden which is a big white elephant!!!
We've lost our way in football, relying on Rangers and Celtic to bring players to the pool, but even they in recent years have relied on foreign imports to boost their team performance.
Only time will tell if we can ever get it right, but I fear it will not be in my lifetime!!!!!

MWHIBBIES
09-06-2019, 10:43 AM
Decent result, Cypriot football is much stronger than it was 10 years or so ago.

Borderhibbie76
09-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Decent result, Cypriot football is much stronger than it was 10 years or so ago.Decent result but an absolutely brutal performance and not one that fills u with hope for the newr future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
09-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Decent result but an absolutely brutal performance and not one that fills u with hope for the newr future.

New managers first game. We aren’t suddenly going to start knocking it about like Brazil.

I’m no quite sure what folk are expecting. It’s got to start somewhere.

My_Wife_Camille
09-06-2019, 10:58 AM
New managers first game. We aren’t suddenly going to start knocking it about like Brazil.

I’m no quite sure what folk are expecting. It’s got to start somewhere.
Rightly or wrongly a lot of expectation will be based on Clarke turning Killie round almost overnight imo

MWHIBBIES
09-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Decent result but an absolutely brutal performance and not one that fills u with hope for the newr future.

He's been in the job for a couple of weeks, would be ridiculous to judge him now.

Smartie
09-06-2019, 11:11 AM
One of the main qualities I'll be looking for from the team going forward is the ability to grind out three points when not playing well, and we can pick the bones of the problems with the performance after. They made a decent start doing just that last night.

I have no idea what people are expecting from this team. Have you not seen any of Scotland over the past 20 years? How many times have we dropped points in games like that last night, against opposition of similar strengths or weaker than Cyprus currently are?

There will be lots of games like that at international level - get used to it. Countries like Northern Ireland and Wales haven't qualified for tournaments by blasting teams away by 7 or 8 goals - they've done it by winning consistently, especially at home, against weaker teams and by not losing many goals. Many wins are in tight games by the odd goal and if you do that most of the time you find yourselves in contention for qualification.

England, France, Germany, Spain and the like could reasonably expect to take 3 or 4 off Cyprus, but they wouldn't turn their noses up at any win.

There was a lot to be pleased about last night, a little bit to work on but some of the criticism is plain ridiculous.

pollution
09-06-2019, 11:18 AM

Off track this comment, however incorrect the figure.....

ben johnson
09-06-2019, 11:33 AM

If that had been Germany winning with a late goal it would be a case of they win when not playing well and would be praised for doing so
The mans just in the door let’s hold off judgement until the Euro campaign is over.

Borderhibbie76
09-06-2019, 11:34 AM
He's been in the job for a couple of weeks, would be ridiculous to judge him now.I'm not judging him and happy we won but that was really poor imo ...Brophy looked like a fish out of water and was a strange choice to lead the line imo...real tests ahead but we need to massively improve on last night

Since452
09-06-2019, 11:48 AM
No disrespect to Cyprus as they're a handy side but I'm glad Clarke's first game was against them at home and not the Belgians or Russians. It's 3 points and a decent start for him.

The 90+2
09-06-2019, 11:52 AM

True. The french would back me up though.

SChibs
09-06-2019, 11:53 AM
No disrespect to Cyprus as they're a handy side but I'm glad Clarke's first game was against them at home and not the Belgians or Russians. It's 3 points and a decent start for him.

Russia aren't as good as we seem to be making them out to be. They are a couple of places below us in the rankings and that's despite having a decent world cup

SteveHFC
09-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Can't help yourself eh.

Here’s Lucy!
09-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Not at all. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me :greengrin

Good man! :aok:

Here’s Lucy!
09-06-2019, 12:28 PM
He is more than very good
I take your point as it pales into insignificance when you look
at the 2.0 thrashing Belgium gave them

Touche!

:na na:

supermcginn
09-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Turkey finished 3rd in the world cup nearly 20 years ago.

Smartie
09-06-2019, 01:41 PM
Turkey finished 3rd in the world cup nearly 20 years ago.

They also lost 8-0 to England 32 years ago.

Countries' fortunes and ability go up and down.

Just because Cyprus were pish at one point doesn't mean we have a divine right to cuff them for ever.

There are easy games at International level, but not many. Cyprus certainly aren't in the select group of about 2 teams that we should expect to trounce.

Sir David Gray
09-06-2019, 03:57 PM
They also lost 8-0 to England 32 years ago.

Countries' fortunes and ability go up and down.

Just because Cyprus were pish at one point doesn't mean we have a divine right to cuff them for ever.

There are easy games at International level, but not many. Cyprus certainly aren't in the select group of about 2 teams that we should expect to trounce.

Exactly we just played the worst team in the world a couple of months ago and only beat them 2-0. I wouldn't expect Scotland to hammer anyone at the moment.

Hibrandenburg
09-06-2019, 07:36 PM
If that had been Germany winning with a late goal it would be a case of they win when not playing well and would be praised for doing so
The mans just in the door let’s hold off judgement until the Euro campaign is over.

Nail, head and hammer.

Renfrew_Hibby
09-06-2019, 08:02 PM
I seem to remember it taking a dodgy 95th minute or so Richard Gough goal to beat Cyprus on the road to Italia 90 (I think)

Better Scotland sides than the current one have regularly struggled against so called weaker opposition, its just the Scotland way.

Steve-O
10-06-2019, 02:19 AM
£27 for a ticket! I was going to go as I’m in Edinburgh visiting family but that is obscene!

Hmm, not really though is it? I joined the SSC just to ensure a ticket for the England game a couple of years back so in effect paid £100 for my ticket!