PDA

View Full Version : Question Biggest flop

wakeyhibs
03-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Who’s our biggest flop in last few seasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
03-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Stokes' third spell, or Maclaren's second. Excluding players who weren't here before, probably Andrew Shinnie - expected a lot more from him.

We haven't actually had that many signings that failed to live up to expectations - if it was the last decade I'd be able to give you loads! :wink:

wakeyhibs
03-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Stokes' third spell, or Maclaren's second. Excluding players who weren't here before, probably Andrew Shinnie - expected a lot more from him.

We haven't actually had that many signings that failed to live up to expectations - if it was the last decade I'd be able to give you loads! :wink:

Hense why I gave us all an harder question. If I said “ever” my list will be bigger than a school register ;) lol

Liam6270
03-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Feruz, nelom or big Dave possibly

Northernhibee
03-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Danny Swanson

Daveidas Matulaviceuis

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Not recent but Joe Ward

Who?

My_Wife_Camille
Miquel Nelom.

File alongside Adam Eckersly, Faycal Rherras and Neil Eardley

worcesterhibby
Would agree about McLaren unfortunately. I was really excited about us getting him back, but it just didn't work out. He was a player that needed to be scoring regularly as he didn't contribute that much else...and I feel he is a confidence player..if he had banged in a couple at the start of the season he might have been brilliant. Other than that I think the players we have brought in have been pretty good, there's a few that never really saw any game time...but I guess they were here as back-up anyway.

worcesterhibby
03-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Danny Swanson

Daveidas Matulaviceuis

actually they are both a good shout...all the personal stuff around Swanson seemed to have a big effect, whilst Big Davie was just a huddie.

Jones28
03-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Miquel Nelom.

File alongside Adam Eckersly, Faycal Rherras and Neil Eardley

Is flop not applicable to someone who gets the chance or who's arrival is totally hyped then the fall from grace rather than guys who arrived and didn't even feature?

Eg, Zarabi is probably the biggest flop in my time supporting Hibs because he was totally overhyped.

Northernhibee
03-06-2019, 12:17 PM
actually they are both a good shout...all the personal stuff around Swanson seemed to have a big effect, whilst Big Davie was just a huddie.

Yeah, I don't take any pleasure from putting Danny in but I just think it wasn't to be for him at Hibs. Shame.

southsider
03-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Feruz, nelom or big Dave possibly

When Feruz signed I was pretty excited but he turned out to be a billy-big-boots type who never tried a leg. He will disappear up his own a@s & no one will give a hoot.

My_Wife_Camille
03-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Is flop not applicable to someone who gets the chance or who's arrival is totally hyped then the fall from grace rather than guys who arrived and didn't even feature?

Eg, Zarabi is probably the biggest flop in my time supporting Hibs because he was totally overhyped.
Not imo but I don’t think ‘flop’ has a definitive meaning when it come to football to be honest. For me it’s just someone who failed.

Even so, Nelom came as a Dutch international with Champions League experience so could fall into your category of being overhyped.

iwasthere1972
03-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Who’s our biggest flop in last few seasons?

How many is a few?

MagicSwirlingShip
03-06-2019, 01:07 PM

Shinnie scored the winner in a Derby , setup the first for Cummings too. He never set the heather alight but had some good performances in green & white. Highly unwarranted mention imo.

MagicSwirlingShip
03-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Islam Feruz. Total flop signing

hibbydad
03-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Rowan Vine

Greenbeard
03-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Would agree about McLaren unfortunately. I was really excited about us getting him back, but it just didn't work out. He was a player that needed to be scoring regularly as he didn't contribute that much else...and I feel he is a confidence player..if he had banged in a couple at the start of the season he might have been brilliant. Other than that I think the players we have brought in have been pretty good, there's a few that never really saw any game time...but I guess they were here as back-up anyway.
Going to defend Jamie Mac's second spell. I agree he didn't live up to expectations but there are extenuating circs before you label him a flop. I'll stand corrected if anyone wants to analyse his playing stats in more depth but it seems to me he featured (had to feature?) early season when he was struggling with back trouble, then when he was fit again he never got a sustained run, often coming on very late for just a few mins, with hints of behind-the-scenes issues with the management?
Also, what is a "confidence player", other than a bit of jargon/excuse for someone who is off form (eg Kamberi)? I can understand it being said of a 14 year-old, or a teenager breaking into the first team, but not about guys who are established full-time pros with full-time support staff to help on their mindset. Lame excuse.

The Modfather
03-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Slivka came with a pedigree but hasn’t managed to cement a first team place in 2 seasons. Flop would be harsh but he’s been a big disappointment IMO.

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Going to defend Jamie Mac's second spell. I agree he didn't live up to expectations but there are extenuating circs before you label him a flop. I'll stand corrected if anyone wants to analyse his playing stats in more depth but it seems to me he featured (had to feature?) early season when he was struggling with back trouble, then when he was fit again he never got a sustained run, often coming on very late for just a few mins, with hints of behind-the-scenes issues with the management?

Also, what is a "confidence player", other than a bit of jargon/excuse for someone who is off form (eg Kamberi)? I can understand it being said of a 14 year-old, or a teenager breaking into the first team, but not about guys who are established full-time pros with full-time support staff to help on their mindset. Lame excuse.

Agree with this

I would love to hear the real story about Flo Jamie MAC and Neil Lennon in that second season

It was obvious that something was not quite right to the detriment of the team

I remember in one league game at Easter Road ( Livi 1-1) Lennon started with rookies and left Flo and Jamie MAC on the bench to prove a point

Nuts!

H18S NX
03-06-2019, 01:27 PM
To me,Joe Harper,although he was'nt a flop per say,when he came in,that basically was the end of "Turnbulls tornadoes".

Northernhibee
03-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Agree with this

I would love to hear the real story about Flo Jamie MAC and Neil Lennon in that second season

I remember in one league game at Easter Road Lennon started with rookies and left Flo and Jamie MAC on the bench to prove a point

Nuts!

I worked in a performance based environment in the past and ended up with a real nasty piece of work as a boss. Almost half the staff were on official performance review so they could be sacked after one or two months of bad results and my sales figures plummeted. Wasn't enjoying going into work and after a while you can't help but think "what's the point". Luckily a new manager came in but it took weeks to get my head back in the game and by that time I'd found a new job anyway.

ER did not look a happy place for a lot of last season.

Hibernia&Alba
03-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Rowan Vine

I think a flop has to apply to those who failed to meet higher expectations. I don't think that applies to Rowan.

However, it does apply to James Collins. He came with a good reputation and cost £200,000. I really thought he'd do well, but was a massive disappointment.

DetroitHibs
03-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Edwin De Graff. I remember thinking we have a proper players here, what a pedigree and then he played :confused:

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2019, 01:40 PM
To me,Joe Harper,although he was'nt a flop per say,when he came in,that basically was the end of "Turnbulls tornadoes".
Agree

Played 99 scored 49

Some flop

Once famously said “Do you think I left Everton for less money?”

Tom Hart was keen to get his dough back asap

southsider
03-06-2019, 02:03 PM
The £120,000 we paid for Joe, who also got a £15,000 signing on fee is about a Million Pounds in today’s money. First game was at the old Brockville and a huge Hibs support could not believe their eyes. Joe was 2 stone overweight !

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2019, 02:09 PM
The £120,000 we paid for Joe, who also got a £15,000 signing on fee is about a Million Pounds in today’s money. First game was at the old Brockville and a huge Hibs support could not believe their eyes. Joe was 2 stone overweight !
Aye I was there and as the OP said it was the beginning of the end for Gordon ORourke and the Tornadoes

rodhibs55
03-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Chris Dagnall

Northernhibee
03-06-2019, 02:14 PM
Chris Dagnall

I dunno. He came in as backup and ended up with a Scottish Cup Winners Medal. Even though he didn't score a single goal I can't call any member of that team a flop by default :greengrin

HoboHarry
03-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Joe Harper wasn't even close to being a flop, he had a tremendous scoring record but he still managed to incur the wrath of the support. It was ET's decision to break up the tornadoes and his alone....

ekhibee
03-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Recently, Hyndman.

KDY Hibs
03-06-2019, 02:41 PM
Ryan Mcgivern

Smartie
03-06-2019, 02:46 PM
I think a flop has to apply to those who failed to meet higher expectations. I don't think that applies to Rowan.

However, it does apply to James Collins. He came with a good reputation and cost £200,000. I really thought he'd do well, but was a massive disappointment.

Vine had played well against us for St Johnstone the previous season and a few decent sized clubs had paid decent sized transfer fees for him in the past. My expectations were not sky high, but at least one goal would have been nice.

Collins knocked his pan in and scored a few goals, so whilst the expectation was higher in his case, I don't think he was further from expectation than Vine as he at least made some sort of positive contribution.

Feruz was the biggest flop for me.

Heisenberg
03-06-2019, 03:00 PM
Recently, Hyndman.

Definitely this. Came in to replace McGinn and looked disinterested. Glad he went back in January.

Peevemor
03-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Agree with this

I remember in one league game at Easter Road ( Livi 1-1) Lennon started with rookies and left Flo and Jamie MAC on the bench to prove a point

Nuts!

They were both carrying injuries and getting nothing like the same quality of service from midfield. It would have been a miracle had they carried on where they'd left off at the end of the previous season. Then, when things weren't going well, things may have been said by Lennon and/or the players which didn't do anything to improve matters.

Baader
03-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Swanson was a big disappointment. Good player on his day which isn't often enough but expected good things from him.

Club stood by him after the Shaun Woodburn tragedy so it was disappointing he was fooling around on that Portugal trip.

PatHead
03-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Joe Harper wasn't even close to being a flop, he had a tremendous scoring record but he still managed to incur the wrath of the support. It was ET's decision to break up the tornadoes and his alone....

The end of the Tornadoes was the defeat by Hadjuk Split. Turnbull thought we could win tournaments and made changes. Turned out it was not the right thing to do.

we are hibs
03-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Ivan Sproule in his 2nd spell. Loved him in his first spell and many expected the same blistering explosive player to come back but it wasn't to be.

HoboHarry
03-06-2019, 03:20 PM
The end of the Tornadoes was the defeat by Hadjuk Split. Turnbull thought we could win tournaments and made changes. Turned out it was not the right thing to do.
I read an article (though it's way back) where Turnbull had thought we were too soft and wanted a harder/nastier element and wee Joe certainly wasn't soft...

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Conrad Logan close thread.

HibbyAndy
03-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Alan Obrien

Jonathon Johansson

Squirrel 1875
03-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Jamie Maclaren’s second spell and Emerson Hyndman. Both were signed with huge expectations and didn’t even come anywhere near to matching them. Poor.

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2019, 03:34 PM
They were both carrying injuries and getting nothing like the same quality of service from midfield. It would have been a miracle had they carried on where they'd left off at the end of the previous season. Then, when things weren't going well, things may have been said by Lennon and/or the players which didn't do anything to improve matters.

Agree but still think there is more to it than meets the eye

Is that why Lennon apparently had Flo by the throat ( allelegedy) was throwing chairs about ( allegedly) was calling people all sorts ( allegedly) and Flo had his bags packed and was for the off (allegedly)

Jamie was injured but was available for selection without being selected through presumably not doing it in training or whatever and Flo has looked injured and disinterested all season

The accusation at the time was that both were not working hard enough and were not up to Lennys expectations hence both dropped for the Livi match

bigwheel
03-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Terry Butcher.

Ends thread.......

Broken Gnome
03-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Thought Matt Thornhill would skoosh it up here. Osborne too.

Leith's finest
03-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Liam Craig, Rowan Vine, Harte (right back), Daryll Duffy, Sam Morrow

ibrahimotitch
03-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Kuqi.

Smartie
03-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Conrad Logan close thread.

You stopped reading the title at "Biggest", didn't you?

Hibernia&Alba
03-06-2019, 04:02 PM

:hilarious

:top marks

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2019, 04:03 PM

No, there is not another ex Hibs player anywhere in the World that can do a bigger belly flop than Conrad Logan 😉

iwasthere1972
03-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Paul Heffernan arrived but departed after about 30 games and only 5 goals. A huge disappointment and a player who arrived with so much promise. Butcher probably didn't help.

CRAZYHIBBY
03-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Edwardo the tank hurtado

Since452
03-06-2019, 04:29 PM
James Collins. There were worse but not often we shell out money for a player. Expected more.

Here’s Lucy!
03-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Feruz and Swanson for me.

wakeyhibs
03-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Anyone remember Ricardo vaz te? He went on to score for fun. If we have his caliber of player now he would rip the spl apart

Here’s Lucy!
03-06-2019, 04:51 PM

:faf:

Bangkok Hibby
03-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Terry Butcher.

Ends thread.......

Yes...hero to zero

Mibbes Aye
03-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Paul Heffernan arrived but departed after about 30 games and only 5 goals. A huge disappointment and a player who arrived with so much promise. Butcher probably didn't help.

Heffernan is a good shout, most folk thought he would be scoring regularly. Allan Smart too.

Jonathan Johannson is probably the pick for me. It seemed silly to think he wouldn’t rattle them in.

Hibernia&Alba
03-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Terry Butcher.

Ends thread.......

Can't argue with that. He did an excellent job at ICT then managed to make us sink like a stone. It's hard to fathom, but his level of underachievement at Hibs is truly incredible. I will never forgive the big Tory ****.

jacomo
03-06-2019, 08:13 PM

He just came to us two seasons too late. Would have been a good signing earlier in his career.

Forza Fred
03-06-2019, 11:23 PM
Jim Blair

Michael
03-06-2019, 11:34 PM
Ryan Gauld has to be up there.

HoboHarry
03-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Ryan Gauld has to be up there.
There's a big difference between not performing due to injury and not performing on the field like Rowan Vine etc etc....

Unseen work
03-06-2019, 11:47 PM
Hyndman
Gauld
Collins
Feruz
Tom Soares
Matt Done
Steven Pinau
Fabian Yantorno
Dan Carmichael - Looked brilliant at QOTS
Shinnie - although played out wide and was a part in us getting promoted, think he’s the type would do better in the top league when teams aren’t just sat in and he’s played through the middle

Also thought Darnell Johnson would be brilliant, seemed very highly rated and spoke very well. Unfortunately got injured and then never got a look In.

What if shows is how difficult a job it it recruiting players. A lot of players seem good on paper or have a decent cv and turn up looking awful, and vice versa. Some players just suit certain clubs.

Unseen work
03-06-2019, 11:48 PM
There's a big difference between not performing due to injury and not performing on the field like Rowan Vine etc etc....

Even before his injury he was poor imo, only playing 60 minutes when he was fit also says a lot.

I was surprised Heckingbottom praised him so much when he was leaving. Maybe would like him back but just currently can’t afford him and dropping hints he needs to leave sporting

The 90+2
04-06-2019, 12:23 AM
Whitt’s

Squealing pig
04-06-2019, 01:57 AM
Gauld , Hyndman, Agyepong,

Mixu62
04-06-2019, 03:45 AM
Joe T's fringe is the floppiest thing I've ever seen at ER. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
04-06-2019, 05:10 AM
https://youtu.be/jHPOzQzk9Qo

Michael
04-06-2019, 07:49 AM

Vine was quite a 'meh' signing anyway, so expectations weren't high.

Gauld was the 'Scottish Messi' but did nothing even when he was on the pitch.

Northernhibee
04-06-2019, 09:13 AM
I was actually really annoyed with Stokes third time round with us. We launched his career first time round, saved it second time round and the third time he left us hanging for so long, looked disinterested on the pitch, seemingly caused trouble, so many of the shots he took he seemed to scuff along the ground and completely unbalanced the team.

I'll thank him forever for 21st May but he was appalling in that last spell.

MWHIBBIES
04-06-2019, 09:20 AM
I was actually really annoyed with Stokes third time round with us. We launched his career first time round, saved it second time round and the third time he left us hanging for so long, looked disinterested on the pitch, seemingly caused trouble, so many of the shots he took he seemed to scuff along the ground and completely unbalanced the team.

Ridiculous to call him appalling, he was our best player many times early on that season, was a period where he was the only one who scored for weeks. Didn't work out but he got us many points early on.

Michael
04-06-2019, 09:27 AM
I also thought Stokes was often our best player in his 3rd spell. Opinions eh?

My_Wife_Camille
04-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Agree with this completely. He was outstanding in his first spell, had a massive impact in his second but his third spell was exactly as you’ve described.

By the time he left in his third spell we had won only 6 of the 19 games he featured in and he only actually managed a goal in one of those games. The only other points that his goals contributed to were draws against Dundee and Motherwell.

Interestingly, our best run of form early on in that seasons was when we won 3 out of the 3 games when Stokes was out the team.

Northernhibee
04-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Agree with this completely. He was outstanding in his first spell, had a massive impact in his second but his third spell was exactly as you’ve described.

By the time he left in his third spell we had won only 6 of the 19 games he featured in and he only actually managed a goal in one of those games. The only other points that his goals contributed to were draws against Dundee and Motherwell.

Interestingly, our best run of form early on in that seasons was when we won 3 out of the 3 games when Stokes was out the team.

He scored a few penalties which skews the figures somewhat but his overall persona on the pitch made me think of a Bertie Big Bollocks character. Took a lot of shots from distance that weren't on, didn't look to play in other players enough and generally made us less of a threat. The one person in the school playground who probably is the most talented but knows it and ends up being a liability as a result.

MrSmith
04-06-2019, 10:00 AM
For me, Neil Lennon. He gave up when Celtic came calling.

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2019, 10:17 AM
For me, Neil Lennon. He gave up when Celtic came calling.
Was working his ticket long before that which makes me think he “knew” Brenda was off to Leicester so a move back was a possibility

Northernhibee
04-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Was working his ticket long before that which makes me think he “knew” Brenda was off to Leicester so a move back was a possibility

It's an interesting one. I don't like him at all, I think he can't take responsibility for his own mistakes, but after the second season even I wouldn't be able to argue that he hadn't done a fantastic job to get us where we were, disappointing as the last three games were. We backed him heavily in the summer and after a promising start it was an absolute waste of money as the football was nearly as bad as under Butcher for a while.

If you go from the heavy investment to bring in the likes of Mallan, Horgan, Milligan, Bogdan onwards then there's a definite argument to say that's the case. Before that, not so much.

MrSmith
04-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Yep think you're right on that one. I wasn't a fan when he arrived but he won me over however, second season was just all over the place.

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Yep think you're right on that one. I wasn't a fan when he arrived but he won me over however, second season was just all over the place.
First season got us over the line in the Championship
Second season almost finished second
Third season lost his midfield hit by injuries poor run of results followed by irrational behaviour and crazy team selections and tactics lost the Dressing Room it was time to go
Thanks for the memories

Peevemor
04-06-2019, 11:10 AM
3 reasonably well built guys with decent scoring records when played as CFs - Keith Wright, Anthony Stokes & Flo Kamberi. None of them particularly fast (ie. not wingers), 2 right footed, 1 left footed & reasonably similar players. Each of them were pushed out to the left, the goals dried up and the criticism started.

I'll probably get shot down, but I see real similarities in the 3 players.

MrSmith
04-06-2019, 11:18 AM
First season got us over the line in the Championship
Second season almost finished second
Third season lost his midfield hit by injuries poor run of results followed by irrational behaviour and crazy team selections and tactics lost the Dressing Room it was time to go
Thanks for the memories

Sorry meant the third season.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-06-2019, 04:38 PM
No too fond of these threads but a pedigree player with a proven record of scoring in the League but scored none :

The enigmatic Jonatan Johansson