PDA

View Full Version : Worst game.

vuefrom1875
01-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Trying to think what was the most woeful between scottish cup final and the dross served up in champions league final.....utter p##h both!😎

hfc rd
01-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Scottish Cup final was good the moment Celtic equalised. CL final was utter garbage from start to finish considering all the build-up clamour around it.

IberianHibernian
01-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Trying to think what was the most woeful between scottish cup final and the dross served up in champions league final.....utter p##h both!😎There was no reason to expect great football last week - I can`t remember an entertaining Hearts team in my lifetime so this season even less likely while 18 / 19 Celtic team has not been great with Rogers or Lennon . As for CL today I can`t remember many entertaining finals and this year`s was never going to be a classic with 2 teams which haven`t won their national leagues last year or this and haven`t got any world class players to make a difference at this level .

Mantis Toboggan
01-06-2019, 10:35 PM
A lot of terrible European Cup finals through the years. This was just another one. Liverpool could not care less.

Hibernia&Alba
01-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Finals are often cagey affairs because it's all or nothing. Teams are often afraid of losing and so play cautiously. There have been numerous terrible finals in all competitions.

SquashedFrogg
01-06-2019, 10:51 PM
A lot of terrible European Cup finals through the years. This was just another one. Liverpool could not care less.

Absolutely. The bigger the hype, the poorer the final.

We all hope for a 4-4 thriller but it rarely happens. Still intriguing though all the same

Itsnoteasy
01-06-2019, 11:14 PM
Finals are often cagey affairs because it's all or nothing. Teams are often afraid of losing and so play cautiously. There have been numerous terrible finals in all competitions.

I was at a final a few years back think it ended 3÷2. No cageyness & there was only 1 team afraid of losing.

Steve-O
01-06-2019, 11:15 PM
It was pish. They should make the final two legs.

NAE NOOKIE
01-06-2019, 11:53 PM
There was no reason to expect great football last week - I can`t remember an entertaining Hearts team in my lifetime so this season even less likely while 18 / 19 Celtic team has not been great with Rogers or Lennon . As for CL today I can`t remember many entertaining finals and this year`s was never going to be a classic with 2 teams which haven`t won their national leagues last year or this and haven`t got any world class players to make a difference at this level .

You have to be joking. The combined cost / worth of the two teams on the pitch tonight would bankrupt 90% of the worlds clubs if they tried to assemble similar teams, a lack of talent is as lame an excuse for these two teams putting on such a pathetic show as you can get.

The facts are that 4 clubs from the so called 'best league in the world' stunk up the two biggest matches in European football this week and I for one am laughing my arse off about it :faf:

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2019, 12:38 AM
We’ve conquered all of Europe............

MWHIBBIES
02-06-2019, 12:51 AM
Almost as if winning is more important than entertaining neutrals. Liverpool got it absolutely spot on tactically. They certainly have world class players who make a big difference.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2019, 03:07 AM
There was no reason to expect great football last week - I can`t remember an entertaining Hearts team in my lifetime so this season even less likely while 18 / 19 Celtic team has not been great with Rogers or Lennon . As for CL today I can`t remember many entertaining finals and this year`s was never going to be a classic with 2 teams which haven`t won their national leagues last year or this and haven`t got any world class players to make a difference at this level .

The 86 vintage was quite entertaining to watch especially at “the business end” of the season :)

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2019, 03:13 AM
You have to be joking. The combined cost / worth of the two teams on the pitch tonight would bankrupt 90% of the worlds clubs if they tried to assemble similar teams, a lack of talent is as lame an excuse for these two teams putting on such a pathetic show as you can get.

The facts are that 4 clubs from the so called 'best league in the world' stunk up the two biggest matches in European football this week and I for one am laughing my arse off about it :faf:

Yup they really need to refresh the format for a so called champs League to end up between 2 teams from the same league is bonkers. Always about the money generation never about the football,
The games are saturated, for the few and not the many. I hardly bother to watch a champs league game. Give me Hibs in a cup final any day win or lose.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 03:52 AM
Yup they really need to refresh the format for a so called champs League to end up between 2 teams from the same league is bonkers. Always about the money generation never about the football,
The games are saturated, for the few and not the many. I hardly bother to watch a champs league game. Give me Hibs in a cup final any day win or lose.

I know ther is a lot of criticism of the Champions League and the EPL for being sterile etc.

Ive never bought into it and this season in particular has had a feast of games that were top entertainment in both tourneys.

The Europa League has offered up great matches as well.

Really enjoyed all theee competitions this season.

Since452
02-06-2019, 03:58 AM
Scottish cup final was splendid

Mcpakeisgod
02-06-2019, 06:17 AM

Have to reply purely for your user name . Absolutely brilliant. Dr😂

CLASS OF 72 -73
02-06-2019, 06:26 AM

Not sure which planet you are on:confused:. Rubbish final but whats not winning your national league got to do with it?

Pretty Boy
02-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Liverpool scored in the 1st 2 minutes. They were never going to play any differently after that and why should they? Spurs had loads of the ball but rarely worked Allison; when they did he made the saves you'd expect him to make.

Klopp got it spot on, let Spurs have the ball, trust his defence to deal with it and try and grab a 2nd. It maybe wasn't pretty but it was evidently effective.

Pretty Boy
02-06-2019, 06:54 AM

The Champions League was introduced as a reaction to complaints the old format meant the best teams weren't playing each other at the business end of the competition. The wheels were set in motion in the 89/90 season when Real Madrid and AC Milan, considered the 2 best teams in the tournament that year, drew each other in the 2nd round.

The arguments put forward at the time by many, including fans groups, was that the competition was stale and people would rather see the best teams compete rather than relative minnows in the final. Ironically we seem to have gone full circle.

I suppose the lesson is you can't please everyone. I say that as someone who finds the Champions League as a format utterly boring whilst accepting it produces some great games. It's fantasy football for clubs operatong in a different stratosphere from 99% of teams in Europe.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-06-2019, 07:51 AM
I thought that the Euro League final was dire, but that was even worse. Too much hanging on the game to make it entertaining.

malcolm
02-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Not sure which planet you are on:confused:. Rubbish final but whats not winning your national league got to do with it?

The clue is in the now misnomer of a name - a champions competition as was is now a big boys money retention racket that can be won by a team from one of the bigger boys money leagues without having gone anywhere near winning their own particular league championship in the qualifying season before it.

It and the europa league spill over are now boring regardless of any individual exciting games. I suspect both incentives to trough swill, for the blazers organising it, and the protections in it for ‘big clubs’ are what make it pretty sterile and boring for me anyway.

Smartie
02-06-2019, 08:00 AM
I thought that the Euro League final was dire, but that was even worse. Too much hanging on the game to make it entertaining.

The atmospheres at the games didn't help, the Euro by being in a ridiculous stadium in a ridiculous location and the Champs league as per usual by having more corporate customers present than fans of the clubs.

Eyrie
02-06-2019, 09:54 AM
The clue is in the now misnomer of a name - a champions competition as was is now a big boys money retention racket that can be won by a team from one of the bigger boys money leagues without having gone anywhere near winning their own particular league championship in the qualifying season before it.

It and the europa league spill over are now boring regardless of any individual exciting games. I suspect both incentives to trough swill, for the blazers organising it, and the protections in it for ‘big clubs’ are what make it pretty sterile and boring for me anyway.

I assume that the name "Champions" now refers to champions of Europe and not a competition between champions of individual leagues.

Other than that, I agree with you. Last night was the only game I've watched this season in either European competition (outwith our own) because I've wasted too much time sitting through too many dross games in the past for the occasional good game to be worth the wait.

Predictably, it was dross.

Hermit Crab
02-06-2019, 10:19 AM
I chose not to bother watching it last night and went to bed to catch up on sleep after my nightshift. Seems I made the right decision.

The Baldmans Comb
02-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Nice to see two English teams in the final as they are a country who have a deep knowledge and understanding of football even though they rather struggle in the International arena though that's as much due to mental strength as their players just about always freeze on the big occasion.

Predictably two excellent teams canceled each other out but it was still an engrossing game if rather short on actual excitement.

southsider
02-06-2019, 11:35 AM
I chose not to bother watching it last night and went to bed to catch up on sleep after my nightshift. Seems I made the right decision.

You did, that’s another 2 hours of my life I will never get back. But, hey only 3 weeks until the PH dinner. Now, that will be fun !

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2019, 02:57 PM
The Champions League was introduced as a reaction to complaints the old format meant the best teams weren't playing each other at the business end of the competition. The wheels were set in motion in the 89/90 season when Real Madrid and AC Milan, considered the 2 best teams in the tournament that year, drew each other in the 2nd round.

The arguments put forward at the time by many, including fans groups, was that the competition was stale and people would rather see the best teams compete rather than relative minnows in the final. Ironically we seem to have gone full circle.

I suppose the lesson is you can't please everyone. I say that as someone who finds the Champions League as a format utterly boring whilst accepting it produces some great games. It's fantasy football for clubs operatong in a different stratosphere from 99% of teams in Europe.

In a nutshell PB. Perhaps once every 3 years UEFA could revive the competition by making it an open draw with no seeding, then at least once in a while you might see somebody different in the semis or even final.

MWHIBBIES
02-06-2019, 03:00 PM
In a nutshell PB. Perhaps once every 3 years UEFA could revive the competition by making it an open draw with no seeding, then at least once in a while you might see somebody different in the semis or even final.

Someone like Spurs or Ajax?

Bishop Hibee
02-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Marseilles v Red Star Belgrade in 1991 was probably the most boring final in history never mind European Cup finals. 0-0 after extra time and Red Star won on penalties.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Someone like Spurs or Ajax?

Yeh, it was great to see a minnow like Spurs make the final, now the money might help the poor wee buggers make some stadium improvements.

Hibernia&Alba
02-06-2019, 03:19 PM
Marseilles v Red Star Belgrade in 1991 was probably the most boring final in history never mind European Cup finals. 0-0 after extra time and Red Star won on penalties.

Worthy contender 2003, Milan v Juventus at Old Trafford. Another that was 0-0 and went to penalties. It was absolutely terrible: defensive Italian football at it's most boring.

NAE NOOKIE
02-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Made worse by the fact that Red Star were brilliant throughout the competition playing great football and blowing teams away … they threw that out of the window on the night.

PH91
02-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Spot on.

I have no issues with allowing clubs who did not win their league into the competition, however, i do take issue with the elitist seedings and early qualification process. Imo, if you win your league you should be automatically into the group stage. The teams who finish second, third and even fourth in some cases should be the ones battling out numerous qualifiers to get into the group.

It would likely be argued that the above would mean an easier passage to the later stages for the top teams but at least the 'smaller' teams would be getting more of a fair chance to progress far in the competition and when the top teams are drawn against each other it makes for much more excitement. At the moment it feels like the same 20-30 teams just playing each other over and over again.

MWHIBBIES
02-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Yeh, it was great to see a minnow like Spurs make the final, now the money might help the poor wee buggers make some stadium improvements.

Give an example of a team you'd like to see in the champions league final?

hibsbollah
02-06-2019, 06:06 PM

Excellent shout, although the Man U Chelsea borefest in Moscow runs it close.

Pretty Boy
02-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Inter v Bayern a few years back was pretty dire as well.

Maybe it would be tougher to try and recount good CL finals?

Lago
02-06-2019, 09:30 PM
I know ther is a lot of criticism of the Champions League and the EPL for being sterile etc.

Ive never bought into it and this season in particular has had a feast of games that were top entertainment in both tourneys.

The Europa League has offered up great matches as well.

Really enjoyed all theee competitions this season.
Me too.

Spaniel
03-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Scottish cup final 2012 is the worst game I have ever been to and it still hurts that they cheated their way to winning the cup.I dislike that club more than anything.:flag::flag::flag:

Since452
03-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Scottish cup final 2012 is the worst game I have ever been to and it still hurts that they cheated their way to winning the cup.I dislike that club more than anything.:flag::flag::flag:

Would have hurt far, far more if they hadn't cheated imo

Swedish hibee
04-06-2019, 10:30 AM
After the weekend game, we were having a talk at work about refs decisions, I was telling them about the falkirk game with the handball.. Is it on youtube? Anyone got a link?

Bristolhibby
04-06-2019, 12:14 PM
After the weekend game, we were having a talk at work about refs decisions, I was telling them about the falkirk game with the handball.. Is it on youtube? Anyone got a link?

Twice, he hand-balled it!

Bring on VAR

J

The Green Goblin
04-06-2019, 12:18 PM
I dunno. You still get some good cup finals with great moments. Andy Halliday’s goal in 2016, for example, was a worthy cup-winning goal.