PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Robertson

theonlywayisup
01-06-2019, 09:35 PM
One of the few Scots to win Europe's premier competition.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48413180

Great news article.

JimBHibees
01-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Brilliant article and what a career he has created for himself! Huge development.

SChibs
01-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Where was he before Dundee Utd?

Sir David Gray
01-06-2019, 10:01 PM

Queen's Park.

theonlywayisup
01-06-2019, 10:05 PM

Not being funny, but you should read the article. It's a great read. We, as a nation, are lucky to have Andy Robertson.

SquashedFrogg
01-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Beautiful story and inspiration for all football players.

Effort. Talent. Focus.

SChibs
01-06-2019, 10:07 PM
Queen's Park.

Queens Park? Actually i think ive seen it mentioned somewhere before now you say it.

SquashedFrogg
01-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Not being funny, but you should read the article. It's a great read. We, as a nation, are lucky to have Andy Robertson.

Brilliant article. Similar type personality to McGinn. Down to earth and humble. Nothing but admiration and respect for the guy. Deserves all he gets.

Hibbyradge
01-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Brilliant article. Similar type personality to McGinn.

Yes, very good observation.

James310
01-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Apparently played a couple of times against The Rangers when in the lower leagues. Obviously never rated him...

Sir David Gray
01-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Apparently played a couple of times against The Rangers when in the lower leagues. Obviously never rated him...

He played against them 4 times in 2012-13 whilst with Queen's Park.

Greencore
01-06-2019, 10:39 PM
He would sell match day programs at hampden.

James310
01-06-2019, 10:54 PM

McCoist can spot a player then. 😂

ian cruise
01-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Few rangers fans I know mentioned this at the start of the season and were raging with their recruitment team. Think they were at the stage where they believed they were too big to sign players from Queens Park, etc and were focused on signing "names" to prove their relevance.

Itsnoteasy
01-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Queen's Park.

He was with Celtic & got kicked into touch for being to small. Then went to QP

Alex Trager
01-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Few rangers fans I know mentioned this at the start of the season and were raging with their recruitment team. Think they were at the stage where they believed they were too big to sign players from Queens Park, etc and were focused on signing "names" to prove their relevance.

Kevin Kyle was on £8K per week.

DC_Hibs
01-06-2019, 11:27 PM

That right aye?

Riordan was also on 30k a week in China tae?
Seth Johnson and Peter Ridsdsle blah blah

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2999370/rangers-kevin-kyle-wage-ally-mccoist/

Greencore
01-06-2019, 11:31 PM
Do Queens Park get a sell on fee from his transfer to Liverpool?

sambajustice
01-06-2019, 11:33 PM

Try 2k

Northernhibee
01-06-2019, 11:38 PM
John McGinn will find himself in that quality of a team. You can just tell.

I hope that SJM gets his opportunity on the biggest of stages as well.

stu in nottingham
02-06-2019, 12:18 AM
One of the few Scots to win Europe's premier competition.

Forest had six:

John McGovern
John Robertson
Kenny Burns
Archie Gemmill
John O’Hare
Frank Gray

The Harp Awakes
02-06-2019, 12:24 AM
He was with Celtic & got kicked into touch for being to small. Then went to QP

Celtic & Rangers loss and Scotland's gain Perfectimunto:na na:

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2019, 12:37 AM
We’ve conquered all of Europe .............

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 01:45 AM
Forest had six:

John McGovern
John Robertson
Kenny Burns
Archie Gemmill
John O’Hare
Frank Gray

There are some big names in there. Did Kenny Burns not win POTY twice running in England, can’t recall if it was the players’ vote or the football writers’ vote?

John Robertson was very special. His penalty in 1981 in the Home Championship remains engrained. And John McGovern was almost certainly so unlucky to be playing at a time when we were flooded with talent in his position and he suffered accordingly in terms of international representation.

HoboHarry
02-06-2019, 02:12 AM
Liverpool have 5 who got on the pitch I believe, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Nicol and now Robertson. Gary Gillespie got a medal too I think as an unused sub which would also make 6.

HoboHarry
02-06-2019, 02:26 AM
There are some big names in there. Did Kenny Burns not win POTY twice running in England, can’t recall if it was the players’ vote or the football writers’ vote?

John Robertson was very special. His penalty in 1981 in the Home Championship remains engrained. And John McGovern was almost certainly so unlucky to be playing at a time when we were flooded with talent in his position and he suffered accordingly in terms of international representation.

John McGovern has to be one of the most under rated players I've seen in all the years I've followed the game...

Viva_Palmeiras
02-06-2019, 03:16 AM
Try 2k

Was it not £6207?

02-06-2019, 04:17 AM
Mental that a former Queens Park player is now a Champions League winner. Just shows you, if you work hard enough then the skys the limit.

As others have mentioned, I hope to see SJM playing up there at that level one day.

Stokesy's on fire
02-06-2019, 04:59 AM
So happy for him and delighted to see a scotsman win the CL. The national team has some great players to work with

Hibby Bairn
02-06-2019, 06:31 AM
Lawrence Shankland played in the same Queens Park team.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2019, 09:09 AM
Forest had six:

John McGovern
John Robertson
Kenny Burns
Archie Gemmill
John O’Hare
Frank Gray

Villa had a couple too,

PatHead
02-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Forest had six:

John McGovern
John Robertson
Kenny Burns
Archie Gemmill
John O’Hare
Frank Gray

Celtic had 11��

So that is 25 so far plus 2 managers

Brummie_Hibs
02-06-2019, 09:24 AM
Darren Fletcher was on the bench for Utd in 2008. Unused though.

PatHead
02-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Darren Fletcher was on the bench for Utd in 2008. Unused though.

Willie Morgan and Pat Crerand in 68?

oneone73
02-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Surely we're not forgetting Des Brenner?
As an aside, pretty sure Frank Kopel was an unused sub for Man U in 1968 ... or is that an urban myth?

Just Jimmy
02-06-2019, 09:29 AM
Paul Lambert. Dortmund.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Just Jimmy
02-06-2019, 09:32 AM
As an aside, pretty sure Frank Kopel was an unused sub for Man U in 1968 ... or is that an urban myth?Jimmy Rimmer was the sub so no.

Pat Crerand was the only Scot who played a part unless I've forgotten someone. I don't think so.

Just Jimmy
02-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Villa had a couple too,before my time but my old man says Allan Evans and Ken McNaught also won it with Bremner for Villa.

He also says
Law
Burns
Fitzpatrick
Crerand and Burns all have medals for Manchester United.

I'm sure Crerand was only one who played in 68 though.

stu in nottingham
02-06-2019, 09:44 AM
As an aside, pretty sure Frank Kopel was an unused sub for Man U in 1968 ... or is that an urban myth?

Scots, Ken McNaught and Allan Evans formed the central defence in that European Cup winning side also. Andy Blair was an unused sub.

PatHead
02-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Jimmy Rimmer was the sub so no.

Pat Crerand was the only Scot who played a part unless I've forgotten someone. I don't think so.

Just checked. Pat Crerand was the only Scot. Dennis Law was injured and Willie Morgan signed in the summer of 68.

Can add Matt Busby to the manager list though so 3 managers and 28 players.

stu in nottingham
02-06-2019, 09:48 AM
before my time but my old man says Allan Evans and Ken McNaught also won it with Bremner for Villa.

He also says
Law
Burns
Fitzpatrick
Crerand and Burns all have medals for Manchester United.

I'm sure Crerand was only one who played in 68 though.

Denis Law was injured before the final. Still got a medal I think.

Just Jimmy
02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Denis Law was injured before the final. Still got a medal I think.That's correct Stu.

FilipinoHibs
02-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Villa had a couple too,

Des Bremmner

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Des Bremmner

Also

McNaught
Evans

stu in nottingham
02-06-2019, 12:30 PM

He certainly was, completely unstoppable at times and for me, the best winger in the game at the time. Robbo was voted Forest's greatest player of all-time, in front of fan favourites such as Joe Baker, Stuart Pearce, Peter Shilton and Des Walker etc.

John McGovern has to be one of the most under rated players I've seen in all the years I've followed the game...

John McGovern sadly, never came into contention for a Scottish cap. I could understand why at the time with people like Gemmill, Rioch, Masson, Hartford, Macari and Souness kicking about. In addition, John had a slightly deformed shoulder and an awkward run. He didn't score much, dribble, score goals or head the ball particularly well but he was a winner and gelled the whole team together. Forest were NEVER the same side when he was missing. Souness would always say that McGovern was his toughest opponent.

I've often considered since that Scotland would have been wise to find a place for him in the team. It wasn't likely by the time Ally McLeod became boss though as he didn't even realise John was Scottish!

Onceinawhile
02-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Queens Park? Actually i think ive seen it mentioned somewhere before now you say it.

😂😂

Killiehibbie
02-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Brilliant article. Similar type personality to McGinn. Down to earth and humble. Nothing but admiration and respect for the guy. Deserves all he gets.

Great to mention to celtc supporters that McGinn went south because he has ambition, wants to be tested and could maybe end up winning a European trophy.
Robertson should be aim for every young player, most will fall short but would love to see them going for it.

Renfrew_Hibby
02-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Yes, very good observation.

Do you think Klopps already having McGinn watched and assessed?

stu in nottingham
02-06-2019, 05:32 PM
I've felt since during John's last season at Hibs he was destined to play for an elite-sized club such as Liverpool or Manchester United. He improves his game significantly season on season and rises to new challenges.

His success in the tough and competitive English Championship has not surprised me at all and although Villa are certainly a huge club, I feel they will be a stepping stone for a couple of years including last season.

Skol
02-06-2019, 07:41 PM
...and some people would select Tierney ahead of Robertson :-O

Hibbyradge
02-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Do you think Klopps already having McGinn watched and assessed?

Obviously I don't know if he's being specifically watched, but I'm sure that all the EPL clubs will be aware of all the players in the championship and the EPL.

Every team needs a player who has unlimited energy and is good at doing the hard work. McGinn does that, but he can pass and he can score too.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a move to a top 6 side.

Is It On....
02-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Queen's Park.

That was after he was binned by Celtic as a 16yr old as they didn't think he would make it 😂

Billy Whizz
02-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Tierney is a helluva player, and can play a number of positions
Unfair to draw comparisons between the 2 of them

JimboHibs
02-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Obviously I don't know if he's being specifically watched, but I'm sure that all the EPL clubs will be aware of all the players in the championship and the EPL.

Every team needs a player who has unlimited energy and is good at doing the hard work. McGinn does that, but he can pass and he can score too.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a move to a top 6 side.

Id be amazed if he gets a move to a top 6 club.

Unseen work
02-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Absolutely brilliant player.

Wish folk would slow down the the McGinn comments though, he still has a hell of a lot to prove to show he can compete in the premier league never mind win the champions league at one of the biggest clubs in the world

They’re the same age but Robertson went to Hull in 2014 when he was 20 and has continued to rise and show his worth in the premier league.

This isn’t a knock at McGinn as he does have a great amount of potential and I think he will do well, but he’s not going to walk the premier league like some folk make out.

You get more time in the top league as opposition wait for you to make a mistake and pounce on you when they do (McGinns mistake against Belgium). Imo John is at his best when it’s 100 miles an hour and he doesn’t have time to think.

Scouse Hibee
02-06-2019, 08:36 PM
Id be amazed if he gets a move to a top 6 club.

So would I as he would never get a game and end up stalling his career. Far better to stay with Villa or go to another bottom half club where he might break into the team and get some EPL under his belt. If successful he will then get a move to a bigger club but it's a huge leap for him. There won't be many that achieve like Robertson has done.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 08:47 PM

I'm not sure there's been that many.

Tierney is very talented and will, if he chooses, progress beyond Celtc. He's also a few years younger than Robertson but for me, while both being nominally LBs they are very different kinds of player.

At the same time they are both young enough to adapt their game.