PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scotlands heroes

pontius pilate
31-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Fantastic wee documentary on BBC Scotland just now about the women's national team. Great to see then getting the exposure they deserve and to hear from the team and shelly Kerr herself on how proud she will be. Really hope they do as well as they can and do themselves proud and enjoy the experience

Billy Whizz
31-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Fantastic wee documentary on BBC Scotland just now about the women's national team. Great to see then getting the exposure they deserve and to hear from the team and shelly Kerr herself on how proud she will be. Really hope they do as well as they can and do themselves proud and enjoy the experience

Just watched it too
Really enjoyed it, looking forward to the 1st game
Girls team seem really motivated to do well!

number9dream
31-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Fantastic. Really positive story, told in an engaging way. It was quite emotional even though I already knew the story pretty well.
It means so much to the players and the coach and that’s so refreshing to see.

Hibs Class
01-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Well worth a watch on catch-up.

The_Exile
01-06-2019, 06:37 PM
When’s the first game? Gonna get right into it as the women will be more a fixture at world cups than the men’s team!

Just Jimmy
01-06-2019, 06:38 PM
9th June. 430pm v England

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

number9dream
02-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Documentary is on again tonight. BBC One at 10:30.
Surely “Shelley’s Heroes” is a better title...

hfc rd
02-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Watched this yesterday afternoon and thought it was a great watch. They really are an inspiration and look a very good hardworking, committed group of players. Not something you could associate with our men’s team.

Hope the girls have a great campaign and I will definitely be tuning in.

BILLYHIBS
02-06-2019, 09:31 PM
On now BBC1

BILLYHIBS
02-06-2019, 10:30 PM
A real eye opener

Thoroughly enjoyed this Documentary

I thought Women’s football was all about HIBS Ladies....No!

It was more about Glasgow City and if you want to progress succeed you have to move to the top Professional Leagues in England and abroad

A ladies game in Italy between Fiorentina and Juventus attracted a crowd of 39500

Scotland v England

WC France

9/6/2019

Live on BBC Scotland

Cmon Scotland

where'stheslope
03-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Just need to look at the investment in the Woman's game in Engerland to see the way its going, they have the use of St George's for get togethers and training, have a fulltime ex professional premier league player as manager?
Up here professional clubs are trying to boost woman's football, but I feel its never going to be enough to compete with the best down south!
My only hope is to do a New Zealand on them in the first game, and see if their nerve holds in the other games, as the media are doing their usual "England for the World Cup", I for one would like to see egg on their faces!!!!!

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2019, 11:12 AM
Watched the English equivalent of Scotland’s heroes directly after

It was like night and day money no object and training camps all over the world with molicuddled English women’s football super star heroes

Neville seemed insistent on a squad rotation policy throughout the World Cup I am not convinced and the players did not look too convinced either

I hope it does not work out for him 😁

JimBHibees
03-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Watched the English equivalent of Scotland’s heroes directly after

It was like night and day money no object and training camps all over the world with molicuddled English women’s football super star heroes

Neville seemed insistent on a squad rotation policy throughout the World Cup I am not convinced and the players did not look too convinced either

I hope it does not work out for him 😁

Not convinced by Neville to be honest. Has come out publicly with we are good enough to dominate womens football and that one of his players was the best player in the world, really. They struggled against NZ on Saturday as much with IMO the expectation than anything else. Southgate did well in last years wordl cup by understating England's chance while PN is going the other way which IMO wont help them.

Just Jimmy
03-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Not convinced by Neville to be honest. Has come out publicly with we are good enough to dominate womens football and that one of his players was the best player in the world, really. They struggled against NZ on Saturday as much with IMO the expectation than anything else. Southgate did well in last years wordl cup by understating England's chance while PN is going the other way which IMO wont help them.that's because they are and she is.

I don't know your knowledge of the woman's game so do forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.

Lucy bronze is outstanding and England are in with a real chance of winning the tournament. they'll of course need luck with refs and injuries on route but they genuinely should be expecting to be there to win it.

obviously whilst we're there I hope they get cuffed.

Greentinted
03-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Off on a slight tangent, I watched a documentary on the footballing journey of Scottish World Cup winner Rose Reilly. To my shame, I’d never heard of her (she’s a wee bit older than me - played mainly in Italy through late 70s into 80s)
Incredible story, she’s one tough lady and no little talented. Definitely worth a look - will be on BBCiPlayer on the Alba page.

Here’s Lucy!
03-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Scotland v England on Sunday!

cabbageandribs1875
03-06-2019, 06:26 PM
a mural on the outside of the biscuit factory in Leith

claire emslie

Malthibby
03-06-2019, 07:12 PM
Off on a slight tangent, I watched a documentary on the footballing journey of Scottish World Cup winner Rose Reilly. To my shame, I’d never heard of her (she’s a wee bit older than me - played mainly in Italy through late 70s into 80s)
Incredible story, she’s one tough lady and no little talented. Definitely worth a look - will be on BBCiPlayer on the Alba page.

It's a great documentary & really shows just how Neanderthal the SFA was back then; 'Football isn't a game for girls.' Okay said Rosie, & went to Italy & won a World Cup winner's medal.
Certainly helps explain why it took so long for women's footie to take off here. The SFA actively attempted to stop it.
GG

JimBHibees
03-06-2019, 07:51 PM
that's because they are and she is.

I don't know your knowledge of the woman's game so do forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir.

Lucy bronze is outstanding and England are in with a real chance of winning the tournament. they'll of course need luck with refs and injuries on route but they genuinely should be expecting to be there to win it.

obviously whilst we're there I hope they get cuffed.

Ebgland have a chance not an outstanding one. Germany US and probably Sweden better. Lucy Bronze is decent but the best player in the world not a chance.

Greentinted
03-06-2019, 08:38 PM
It's a great documentary & really shows just how Neanderthal the SFA was back then; 'Football isn't a game for girls.' Okay said Rosie, & went to Italy & won a World Cup winner's medal.
Certainly helps explain why it took so long for women's footie to take off here. The SFA actively attempted to stop it.
GG

Our various mainstream media outlets should have been celebrating her from the rooftops as well and whatever people think of the women’s game she’s undeniably a proper Scottish sporting hero(oine) - one the BBC could do a lot worse than to have as a pundit for the upcoming World Cup; knowledgeable, charismatic, super-talented and been there and done it!
Chances of that happening though...?

Billy Whizz
03-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Big challenge in the heat next Sunday. Same for both teams though

Just Jimmy
03-06-2019, 09:30 PM
Ebgland have a chance not an outstanding one. Germany US and probably Sweden better. Lucy Bronze is decent but the best player in the world not a chance.I didn't say they had an outstanding chance. I said she was outstanding and they had a real chance.

i also didnt say she was the best player in the world either, I mis read the original post. I took it as he's said she's one of the best. I agree she's one of the best as she's the best right back in the world. she's holding that position for Lyon who have dominated European football last few years.

Sammy7nil
04-06-2019, 11:15 AM
A great programme and a fantastic achievement.

Could have done without wee Nicola cameos but hey boo :greengrin

Frazerbob
04-06-2019, 01:46 PM

‘Wee Nicola’ is the patron of the SWFA and a long time supporter of the woman’s game. She quite rightly received a standing ovation at Hampden when doing a pre-match presentation.

Renfrew_Hibby
04-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Patronising twit.

cabbageandribs1875
04-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Patronising twit.

this :agree:

JimBHibees
04-06-2019, 02:37 PM
I didn't say they had an outstanding chance. I said she was outstanding and they had a real chance.

i also didnt say she was the best player in the world either, I mis read the original post. I took it as he's said she's one of the best. I agree she's one of the best as she's the best right back in the world. she's holding that position for Lyon who have dominated European football last few years.

Ok fair does she is excellent that is for sure I was just querying Phil Nevilles throwaway line she was the best player in the world, not altogether sure many players would want that sort of pressure on them going into a tournament. I watched the Lionesses programme on BBC iplayer (both that one and the Scottish one are very good) and it clearly indicated the huge investment put into the England team. 8 day training camp in Qatar, access to St George's park etc. Will be interesting how it goes and it is interesting the approach Neville is taking and whether that works. Hopefully Scotland can frustrate them like Kiwis did on Saturday and provide a threat in attack which we will worry would be defensively I think for Scotland.

Just Jimmy
04-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Ok fair does she is excellent that is for sure I was just querying Phil Nevilles throwaway line she was the best player in the world, not altogether sure many players would want that sort of pressure on them going into a tournament. I watched the Lionesses programme on BBC iplayer (both that one and the Scottish one are very good) and it clearly indicated the huge investment put into the England team. 8 day training camp in Qatar, access to St George's park etc. Will be interesting how it goes and it is interesting the approach Neville is taking and whether that works. Hopefully Scotland can frustrate them like Kiwis did on Saturday and provide a threat in attack which we will worry would be defensively I think for Scotland.I agree with all of that. however I think he's being brave by telling them they can win it because they absolutely can. the woman's game down here is miles ahead of our game but we're getting there slowly. hopefully this is the start of the big boost we need.

the standard down here is high and despite what the ignorant say, matches are often really enjoyable.

I'm really looking forward to this world cup and I really hope Scotland can make a mark. regardless we should be proud of our girls and back them to the hilt.

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2019, 05:11 PM

Just watched this excellent!

Rose Reilly my heroine

Scottish Womens Football pioneer and World Cup Winner even scoring in the Final

Inducted into Scottish Footballs Hall of Fame

Well worth a watch

:thumbsup:

hibsbollah
04-06-2019, 07:35 PM
I've just watched this, excellent stuff. I'm quite fired up for June 9th now.

An excellent observation from Stuart Cosgrove about dismissive male attitudes to women's football in comparison to women's swimming, you'd never get the same snide dismissiveness about a female swimmer, Hannah Wiley, negatively comparing their prowess with say, David Wilkie. Different physique, different talents, same sport. An interesting (although dated) parallel from a media guy I never really warmed to before.

Smartie
04-06-2019, 07:55 PM
I've never had much interest in women's football but watched this programme and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was really impressed by Shelley Kerr. Everything about her screamed leader - intelligent, determined and a wonderful communicator.

Obviously I want Scotland to beat England at anything and everything, but it would be magnificent if she had a game plan that led a weaker group of players to a result against Neville's team.

hibsbollah
04-06-2019, 08:05 PM
I've never had much interest in women's football but watched this programme and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was really impressed by Shelley Kerr. Everything about her screamed leader - intelligent, determined and a wonderful communicator.

Obviously I want Scotland to beat England at anything and everything, but it would be magnificent if she had a game plan that led a weaker group of players to a result against Neville's team.
:agree: Shelley Kerr definitelycomes across as an inspirational leader.

JimBHibees
04-06-2019, 09:43 PM
:agree: Shelley Kerr definitelycomes across as an inspirational leader.

Agree very impressive and knows her stuff.

Saturday Boy
04-06-2019, 10:00 PM
I’ve followed women’s football in Scotland for several years now. I really enjoyed the programme, but once again, Hibs contribution has been airbrushed out.

They made a big thing about Glasgow City having 11 players or former players in the squad. Hibs have 10. And Shelley played for Hibs.

I should be used to the weegie bias after all these years, but it’s still annoying.

Anyway, next stop Nice 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Just watched this excellent!

Rose Reilly my heroine

Scottish Womens Football pioneer and World Cup Winner even scoring in the Final

Inducted into Scottish Footballs Hall of Fame

Well worth a watch

:thumbsup:

SPOILER ALERT!

This wifie scored for Italy in the World Cup Final even although she was scottish

She was banned by the narrow minded SFA who refused to recognise a female professional football player back in the 1970s

She got the lash every day at Primary School just for playing a boys game at play time

One tough cookie

Eyrie
05-06-2019, 07:30 PM
I’ve followed women’s football in Scotland for several years now. I really enjoyed the programme, but once again, Hibs contribution has been airbrushed out.

They made a big thing about Glasgow City having 11 players or former players in the squad. Hibs have 10. And Shelley played for Hibs.

I should be used to the weegie bias after all these years, but it’s still annoying.

I thought that there were a few ex-Hibs players but didn't realise it was that many.

hibsbollah
05-06-2019, 07:55 PM
a mural on the outside of the biscuit factory in Leith

claire emslie

That's great. She's definitely my favourite character in the team outside of the gaffer.

Renfrew_Hibby
05-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Being just old enough to vaguely remember the 1980s TV smash, 'The Manageress' do you think Kerr could cross over to the mens senior game?
I know she's managed mens sides before, Stirling Uni I think, but could you ever envisage her taking the hot seat at Hibs for example?

JimBHibees
06-06-2019, 06:35 AM

Agree think it was poor not to mention Hibs who have seemed to have been pretty much the dominant team in womens football in Scotland apart from the last 5 years or so and surely merited a mention of some sort for development of some of Scotlands best players such as Kim Little and Caroline Weir (I think). As you say unnecessary bias and lack of context particularly given Hibs recent amazing cup record.

Diclonius
06-06-2019, 06:44 AM
I remember back when Kerr was manager of Arsenal, they were interviewing her on Talk Sport. Near the end of the interview they asked her who she'd like to win the Scottish Cup final that weekend between Hibs and Celtic. And what did Shelley Kerr, former Hibs player and manager say?

"Well, I'm a Hearts fan so neither of them!"

I've forgiven her. :wink:

overdrive
06-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Being just old enough to vaguely remember the 1980s TV smash, 'The Manageress' do you think Kerr could cross over to the mens senior game?
I know she's managed mens sides before, Stirling Uni I think, but could you ever envisage her taking the hot seat at Hibs for example?

More likely Hearts if her appearance as a pundit at the Inverness-Hearts semi final was anything to go by. Massive yam!

It wouldn’t surprise me if Budge considered her for the Hearts job either.