PDA

View Full Version : Celtc's poaching

Sylar
31-05-2019, 09:09 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48471401

Yet anoter promising young player being linked with the abyss that is Celtc's bench system.

All clubs in Scotland need to stand up to this absolutely horrible insitution and tell them to **** off. They've poached some of the most promising players in this country for decades now, and let some serious talent go to rot on their bench because they never develop these players.

I was delighted when McGinn went down to an English side, and has proven just how much of a quality player he is - I doubt he'd have gotten half the chance at Celtc had they signed him at the time.

More clubs need to start doing the same - it's part of the reason this league continues to be so uncompetitive, is because these *******s keep buying up any threat to them.

Their finances are based on a sectarian warchest, and it's time the rest of Scottish Football took the same stance the Tache did.

FTOF :agree:

Sammy7nil
31-05-2019, 09:19 AM
took the same stance the Tache did.

Like with Brown, Thomson, Riordan, Whittiker, Caldwell etc etc

hibbydad
31-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Very good post and very true

Renfrew_Hibby
31-05-2019, 09:21 AM
The boy need to take a leaf of John McGinn's book and head south. He has the potential to be a genuinely great player, that would only be realised by developing in a world class environment.

Sylar
31-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Every club has been guilty in the past (including us), but I think Rod has clearly changed his tact when it comes to players heading West.

Point stands, that Scottish football needs to collectively be standing up to them (and their ugly cousins too, though Sevco haven't exactly had the finances to buy young Scottish prospects and waste them on their bench in recent years).

WhileTheChief..
31-05-2019, 09:26 AM
What if the players want to go to Celtic?

They should go down south ‘cause some fans don’t like it??

Nonsense.

givescotlandfreedom
31-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Nonsense.
If they do they can wait until an acceptable offer comes in or their contract is up.

Sylar
31-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Nonsense.

That would be nonsense, if that's what I had said.

I'm suggesting that clubs need to stand up to Celtc offering peanuts for their top prospects, when the likelihood is, they'll remain unused.

It degrades the game and ruins the prospects of some great players. Clubs are responsible to advise and guide their players, while also ensuring a good financial return on a player they've developed.

McGinn going down south was one example - Henderson going to Italy, or Bates going to Germany were others. Leaving the Old Firm support system to advance their prospects, rather than rot.

Clubs should be highlighting the opportunities that lie beyond Scottish postcodes, and making sure they're getting the best deal for them and the player - something Sevco/Celtc have consistently failed to offer for decades.

delbert
31-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Sorry, but no criticism from me re the tache on the above transfers, all the players wanted to take what they believed was a step up and some pushed on, some didn’t, hardly Rod’s fault. In all cases Petrie got pretty much top dollar and in the case of Brown/Thomson scenario, he was pilloried in the national press for not taking 3 million when offered for them both, virtually told he was an idiot. He ended up getting 6.2 million for both from the Ugly sisters, most money we have ever taken in doing transfers so let’s not rewrite history just because since then he has become public enemy number one, I’d have Rod doing the transfer dealings before anyone else. There is an interview kicking about out there somewhere with Mick McCarthy when he was a club manager down south and his club wanted a player from us, the sports reporter asked why the deal wasn’t over the line and McCarthy looked at him and laughed and said ‘Have you ever tried dealing with this guy ?’

easty
31-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Motherwell should hold out for whatever they think he's worth, if that bid comes from Glasgow, then that's where Turnbull will go.

Celtc aren't gonna force Motherwell to see him. If they're trying to get him for peanuts though, then surely Mortherwell can get more from another team. But, if nobody else wants to pay more...then maybe he's only worth the peanuts they're being offered?

I don't see the issue to be honest.

The_Exile
31-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Nobody ****s with Iron Rod over a transfer fee, nobody.

givescotlandfreedom
31-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Nobody ****s with Iron Rod over a transfer fee, nobody.

The man even got us money for Shelton Martis!

InchHibby
31-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Everyone that’s been supporting Hibs from the sixties at least, know that both Sevco and their other half bought up all the best talent in Scotland for way less than their worth, in fact I believe there was an actual fund within both these disgusting clubs to buy up any player who posed a threat to them winning the title, regardless whether they would actually play them or not.
The other fact was the voting system to change things within Scottish football, mainly for a fairer share for the rest of us, regarding the monies generated by sponsorship, TV companies etc, all they had to do was vote together on these proposals, which they did year after year to keep the status quo. They loathe each other as clubs and their beliefs but not to the extent of them both getting the lions share of the cash. And how the SFA could justify this was was nothing short of disgusting.
Even to this day it’s happening.

J-C
31-05-2019, 10:01 AM
You might find Leeann is more in control of selling players, remember the stance we had with Rangers and Allan, yes he went to Celtic but they were in the league above us.

MagicSwirlingShip
31-05-2019, 10:01 AM
The laddie should be looking to clock up at least 100 starts for Motherwell before considering a move. Madness to consider moving on after just one season

Peevemor
31-05-2019, 10:03 AM

Like with Brown, Thomson, Riordan, Whittiker, Caldwell etc etcWe got good money for Brown & Thomson, £2m for Whittaker and Riordan & Caldwell signed pre contracts elsewhere. I'm not sure we could have done any better.

Jones28
31-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Very very harsh on Petrie, Caldwell signed already contract anyway so the ball was in his court - I can't remember the Riordan scenario but I'm sure it was similar to Caldwell?

Edit: Riordan signed a precontract to move in january but Celtic paid up the compo.
The other three generated more than £8million in transfer fees - or on other words East Mains and the East stand.

HoboHarry
31-05-2019, 10:48 AM
If they do they can wait until an acceptable offer comes in or their contract is up.
He is under contract until 2021 - if no English club has made an offer why shouldn't he take Celtic's money?

H18S NX
31-05-2019, 10:56 AM
:top marks:aok:
Everyone that’s been supporting Hibs from the sixties at least, know that both Sevco and their other half bought up all the best talent in Scotland for way less than their worth, in fact I believe there was an actual fund within both these disgusting clubs to buy up any player who posed a threat to them winning the title, regardless whether they would actually play them or not.
The other fact was the voting system to change things within Scottish football, mainly for a fairer share for the rest of us, regarding the monies generated by sponsorship, TV companies etc, all they had to do was vote together on these proposals, which they did year after year to keep the status quo. They loathe each other as clubs and their beliefs but not to the extent of them both getting the lions share of the cash. And how the SFA could justify this was was nothing short of disgusting.
Even to this day it’s happening...................:top marks:aok:

The Modfather
31-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Sorry, but no criticism from me re the tache on the above transfers, all the players wanted to take what they believed was a step up and some pushed on, some didn’t, hardly Rod’s fault. In all cases Petrie got pretty much top dollar and in the case of Brown/Thomson scenario, he was pilloried in the national press for not taking 3 million when offered for them both, virtually told he was an idiot. He ended up getting 6.2 million for both from the Ugly sisters, most money we have ever taken in doing transfers so let’s not rewrite history just because since then he has become public enemy number one, I’d have Rod doing the transfer dealings before anyone else. There is an interview kicking about out there somewhere with Mick McCarthy when he was a club manager down south and his club wanted a player from us, the sports reporter asked why the deal wasn’t over the line and McCarthy looked at him and laughed and said ‘Have you ever tried dealing with this guy ?’

John Collins is often overlooked in the eventual prices we got for Brown & Thomson. He was very vocal in calling out their true value against the figures being banded about and pressure from the press.

In this instance he was as integral as Petrie in helping to get the values we did for Brown & Thomson.

hibsbollah
31-05-2019, 10:59 AM
I bought Turnbull in career mode for Bristol Rovers, and he's struggling to make an impact, to be honest. A 1.2 million purchase but has been a disappointment so far. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Because we all know Fifa always accurately reflects real life...

Zazu62
31-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Motherwell should hold out for whatever they think he's worth, if that bid comes from Glasgow, then that's where Turnbull will go.

Celtc aren't gonna force Motherwell to see him. If they're trying to get him for peanuts though, then surely Mortherwell can get more from another team. But, if nobody else wants to pay more...then maybe he's only worth the peanuts they're being offered?

I don't see the issue to be honest.

Motherwell will just let Celtic do what they want, even a million is a lot of money for Motherwell

JimBHibees
31-05-2019, 11:46 AM
The man even got us money for Shelton Martis!

and Bobby Williamson. :greengrin

JimBHibees
31-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Motherwell will just let Celtic do what they want, even a million is a lot of money for Motherwell

Dont think they will they will have a valuation and the player is on a recently signed contract so they are in a reasonable position. The only issue will be if the player is desperate to go and/or no English team come in with a reasonable valuation.

Understand the Opening post but another important thing is that players if they move to OF will be able to continue to stay in same area and see friends and family as well as earning significantly more. While that may be seen as small minded it probably is a factor. They will think they will get in the OF first team but even if they dont they will be able to move on having earned more and potentially have developed as a player.

CockneyRebel
31-05-2019, 12:24 PM

The reason it is still happening? Ask the Aberdeen Chairman who voted with Celtic to keep the status quo regarding the voting - any more than one vote against something carried the day. Celtic and Rangers always voted together in order to keep there unfair stranglehold. Whilst Rangers were climbing the leagues after their demotion (and could not vote on Premier league issues) we could have changed the voting system by sticking together against Celtic but Milne voted with Celtic. With one vote he condemned all clubs outwith the OF (including Aberdeen) to remain in the dark ages. You would have to ask him why he did this as I cannot see what he thought he had to gain.

TwoPennyPrince
31-05-2019, 04:54 PM

Big Gaz Speaking about The Iron Tache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSpGUGZISUQ&t=28m57s

truehibernian
31-05-2019, 05:24 PM
The boy need to take a leaf of John McGinn's book and head south. He has the potential to be a genuinely great player, that would only be realised by developing in a world class environment.

All young players need to use the Robertson, Armstrong, McGinn and McLean 'pathway' as the perfect example to progress your career. One thing I would say is Turnbull needs another full season with 'Well (at least) to fully serve his apprenticeship and then consider his options and move from Scotland. Joining the Old Firm offers nothing other than a temporary swelled bank balance. Like any trade, learn it first and then move on after you've a good number of games under the belt.

Move with the head not the heart and his career will be longer at the top level.

Jim44
31-05-2019, 05:56 PM
More evidence of Celtic’s lack of ambition. They keep telling every man and his dog that Scottish football is crap and holding them back through lack of competition. Yet they try to snap up any promising players at bargain prices. I think that domestic success is their main goal and that they accept that European success is beyond them without major investment which they refuse to make. As I write this, Lennon’s on the telly news saying that domestic success is their first aim next season. :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn: Fair enough and no doubt they’ll be successful but spare us the futile agonising about their pathetic attempts in Europe. A perverse side of me would smirk if Sevco pip them to the post next season.

Jones28
31-05-2019, 06:20 PM
More evidence of Celtic’s lack of ambition. They keep telling every man and his dog that Scottish football is crap and holding them back through lack of competition. Yet they try to snap up any promising players at bargain prices. I think that domestic success is their main goal and that they accept that European success is beyond them without major investment which they refuse to make. As I write this, Lennon’s on the telly news saying that domestic success is their first aim next season. :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn: Fair enough and no doubt they’ll be successful but spare us the futile agonising about their pathetic attempts in Europe. A perverse side of me would smirk if Sevco pip them to the post next season.

I genuinely would find it funny if they didn't win the league next year, but obviously that would mean rangers winning it which gives the boak a wee bit.

allezsauzee
31-05-2019, 06:21 PM
I think it would be understandable if Motherwell took the money. It's a lot of cash for any Scottish club. For the lad's sake, i hope he stays a couple of seasons at Motherwell and learns his trade before making his next move.

lord bunberry
31-05-2019, 06:27 PM
The laddie should be looking to clock up at least 100 starts for Motherwell before considering a move. Madness to consider moving on after just one season
:agree: Moving now could stifle his development if he’s not playing every week. Another season with Motherwell will do him the world of good.

hibbiedon
31-05-2019, 07:33 PM
They are a vile club who have pillaged Hibs for years, I have never understood the love in that some of our support have with the green huns

chrisski33
31-05-2019, 09:33 PM
I genuinely would find it funny if they didn't win the league next year, but obviously that would mean rangers winning it which gives the boak a wee bit.

With lennon in charge theres a good chance that celtic will finish 2nd....behind us!

Alex Trager
31-05-2019, 09:42 PM

Our club remarkably voted to keep that system in place recently

neil7908
31-05-2019, 09:56 PM
After missing out on McGinn and looking like idiots in the process I can see Celtic trying to reassert their power in Scottish football.

That might well see them pay over the odds for a promising but ultimately very raw talent. I hope he stays at Well for at least another season though.

Iggy Pope
01-06-2019, 09:45 PM
They are a vile club who have pillaged Hibs for years, I have never understood the love in that some of our support have with the green huns

That’s not something I see much of.

erin go bragh
02-06-2019, 03:38 PM
They have poached our players ,manager and even our scout ffs .
Rodgers wanted McGinn and had he got him there is every chance he would still be their manager.
They even had the audacity to quote Jock Stein when Rodgers left them for 9m . How much did we get for Stein when they did exactly the same as Leicester did to them . With us going for the title with a handful of games left . We got f all for Stein btw .

PaulSmith
02-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Guess we are all OK with Hibs “poaching” one of St Johnstone’s most promising players during the week?

cabbageandribs1875
02-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Guess we are all OK with Hibs “poaching” one of St Johnstone’s most promising players during the week?

but but but that's different

Jim44
02-06-2019, 04:05 PM
Poach too much and you can get stewed.:cb

EI255
02-06-2019, 04:16 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48471401

Yet anoter promising young player being linked with the abyss that is Celtc's bench system.

All clubs in Scotland need to stand up to this absolutely horrible insitution and tell them to **** off. They've poached some of the most promising players in this country for decades now, and let some serious talent go to rot on their bench because they never develop these players.

I was delighted when McGinn went down to an English side, and has proven just how much of a quality player he is - I doubt he'd have gotten half the chance at Celtc had they signed him at the time.

More clubs need to start doing the same - it's part of the reason this league continues to be so uncompetitive, is because these *******s keep buying up any threat to them.

Their finances are based on a sectarian warchest, and it's time the rest of Scottish Football took the same stance the Tache did.

FTOF :agree:Get what your saying, but is it really any different to Hibs taking young players from lower clubs? Frustrating though it is, money, unfortunately, talks.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Montford
03-06-2019, 09:40 AM
If I were Burrows I would just simply put it out there that Lawell made such a mess of the McGinn transfer that he really couldn’t risk making the same mistake twice. I’d point out that it would be unforgivable for any supposed businessman to miss out on potent £20million player for the sake of a couple of million.. twice . I’d say the Celtic support understands the true value now of players like McGinn (circa £20 million) and Turnbull and to have such amateurish underbidding shows the club in a poor light. That the clubs with genuine class would pay the going price and not risk further embarrassment

HappyAsHellas
03-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Celtic got burned when they got that huddy of a centre half from Dundee who had played one promising season - these things cut both ways and while I agree with the general point it's never as cut and dried as some people think.

we are hibs
03-06-2019, 10:21 AM
Is there anything more cringey than Celtic and rangers fans complaining about clubs wanting what they value a player at rather than just accepting the first Shan offer at about a quarter of their value? See Celtic with mcginn and rangers with allan. 1.3 million for mcginn. Rejected. "Why are you holding back a young players development? He isn't worth more than that. We are Celtic who do you think you are rejecting us!!!????"

Sylar
04-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Get what your saying, but is it really any different to Hibs taking young players from lower clubs? Frustrating though it is, money, unfortunately, talks.

For me, the difference is we'll use the players we acquire, even if it's in a gradual development sense. Celtc buy promising young players and then either loan them back to the club they've just taken them from (thus precluding them from being competitive in league/cup games), or ship them out to other clubs so they don't need to worry about them (see the young St Mirren starlet that's had a hideous season with Sunderland). When did Celtc last sign one of the top young players in the SPFL and play them in their first team? Most recently, it was Jack Hendry - he was excelling at Dundee, and now he's a splinter cushion.

I'd have zero complaint if Celtc were active in developing young players and advancing their careers and the overall Scottish game. Players moving on to "bigger" things is understandable (it's a short career, and opportunities need to be taken), but former players, agents, managers etc have a duty of care to young players in their system - Jack and Josh have been brought in explicitly to join our development squad and be, well, developed. What Celtc do is take the best promising young players in the league that are actively playing, and "reset" them of a sort. They make acquisitions to their development squad in the same way that we do, that's fine. But their decimation of the top talent in the league to let them rot is detrimental to the future of the Scottish game IMO.

neil7908
04-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Get what your saying, but is it really any different to Hibs taking young players from lower clubs? Frustrating though it is, money, unfortunately, talks.

You're right that every football club does it. The difference with the OF is the constant speculation designed to turn players heads and force their club into accepting a lower offer.

They rarely just sign a player from another Scottish team, it's usually a drawn out saga which they engineer to disrupt the player and maximise the chaos at the selling team so they can eventually come in with a low offer.

They will then complain about a lack of competition in Scotland.