PDA

View Full Version : Grant Holt

matty_f
29-05-2019, 10:20 PM
The Evening News have had a couple of articles from Grant's book this week, speaks very highly of his time here but I was interested to see that he said he wasn't told his contract wasn't being renewed and that he wanted to stay.

I'd have definitely had him for another season but regardless it's pretty shabby of Lennon and the club to not tell him that he wasn't getting another year.

Michael
29-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Surprised to hear that as everyone said at the time he moved to be closer to his family. I would have thought we'd have offered him another year.

DetroitHibs
29-05-2019, 10:43 PM
Looking at his career after Hibs, the club made the correct decision.

Smartie
29-05-2019, 11:06 PM

Looking at Hibs' issues in the striker department especially during the first half of the season after he left, he was worth another season.

I liked Holt. He had his limitations but he did a job for us and seemed to rise to the occasion in big games.

we are hibs
30-05-2019, 05:24 AM

They should have informed the player that their contract isn't being renewed before putting it on the club website. Poor from hibs that. He also would've done a better job than the big Lithuanian dud we brought in to replace his physical presence.

Since452
30-05-2019, 05:42 AM
Right decision not to renew his contract but should have been handled better

DetroitHibs
30-05-2019, 06:33 AM
They should have informed the player that their contract isn't being renewed before putting it on the club website. Poor from hibs that. He also would've done a better job than the big Lithuanian dud we brought in to replace his physical presence.

I agree, could have been handled better, but didn’t warrant a new deal. Definitely a better option than the Lithuanian dud, but it’s like comparing average to gash.

MWHIBBIES
30-05-2019, 07:06 AM

Hard to judge big Dave, literally never started a game. Obviously hopeless in training but still strange.

wookie70
30-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Should have been informed but I don't think he was good enough for the Championship

Vault Boy
30-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Bumped into him at a small festival in Norwich at the weekend. He's always pleasently surprised to see a Hibee. Good guy, clearly enjoying retirement from football. 🍻

MWHIBBIES
30-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Should have been informed but I don't think he was good enough for the Championship

He got promoted from it and played most weekends so he certainly was. Also scored 2 goals Vs top 6 SPL teams in his time here.

WeeRussell
30-05-2019, 11:31 AM

And his time with Hibs.

Nice big guy and clearly had a very good career, but still find it amazing how many Hibs fans hugely inflate (in my opinion) his contribution in that championship season.

And yet so many find it difficult to commend what Cummings did at Hibs.

Not surprised to learn of him being a good guy when meeting in person etc, he always did come across that way. :agree:

The_Horde
30-05-2019, 11:39 AM
And his time with Hibs.

Nice big guy and clearly had a very good career, but still find it amazing how many Hibs fans hugely inflate (in my opinion) his contribution in that championship season.

And yet so many find it difficult to commend what Cummings did at Hibs.

Not surprised to learn of him being a good guy when meeting in person etc, he always did come across that way. :agree:

I'd argue that he was completely necessary without being particularly spectacular.

We did need him though. IMO

ekhibee
31-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Well I liked him, I always thought he gave 100% if some way past his best and he was quite a hefty unit that some defences, including Hearts, seemed to have trouble dealing with. Not sure if another season with Hibs would definitely have worked out (we'll never know) but nothing but admiration for the guy.

The Modfather
31-05-2019, 08:48 AM
A good pro and gave us his all so don’t have a bad word to say about him. From a footballing perspective I thought he offered very little in terms of a goal threat and spent more time nearer the half way line than the goals. Helped get us promoted but was the correct decision to let him go IMO.

JimBHibees
31-05-2019, 08:55 AM
A good pro and gave us his all so don’t have a bad word to say about him. From a footballing perspective I thought he offered very little in terms of a goal threat and spent more time nearer the half way line than the goals. Helped get us promoted but was the correct decision to let him go IMO.

Agreed he did play better the bigger the game and you get the impression a big personality. His performances in the cup v Hearts at ER and also changing the game v Aberdeen in semi final scoring and setting up equaliser was superb, other games less so but still contributed well. IMO we should have kept him if we were not getting better in than Dave but should have got better.

SChibs
31-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Really liked Holt at Hibs. He obviously didn't score that many but i felt he always gave a decent contribution to the team. He was decent foil for Cummings and you could see him coaching Cummings through a lot of games which also helped the team

Bad Habits
31-05-2019, 10:22 AM
I thought he did well for us. The Scottish cup semi was a great example of this.

I had a couple of freinds from university up at the time, all Manchester/Liverpool fans. They all knew Holt from his time at Norwich and were very impressed when he came on, he completely changed the impact we were having on that game and down to him, we almost came away with a result.

Onceinawhile
31-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Helped turn around the semi final v Aberdeen with a goal and a great assist.

He may not have scored a great amount, but he was a great partner for Jason Cummings.

Craig Brewster barely scored for us either, but he was a great help to Go'C.

You need all sorts of players to make a team.

Iggy Pope
31-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Scored against Hearts and celebrated accordingly. Legend.

LeithMike
31-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Some strikers bring attributes other than goals. Holt was one of those and did a very similar job to Mixu. I think he could have done a job for another year as he improved throughout his time with us. Ultimately, though I dont think we would have finished the previous season so strongly if we hadn't brought in Kamberi and McLaren and so if the ambition was top 4 we were probably correct to let go. Nonetheless, he was not adequately replaced until the January.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Helped turn around the semi final v Aberdeen with a goal and a great assist.

He may not have scored a great amount, but he was a great partner for Jason Cummings.

Craig Brewster barely scored for us either, but he was a great help to Go'C.

You need all sorts of players to make a team.

I hear what you are saying but ultimately we lost this tie

Grant Holt did well to come on at 0-2 down he gave us a different dimension he began to hold the ball up the ball started to stick and he pulled a goal back within two minutes of coming on

Probably more accurate to say that once again Neil Lennon picked the wrong team tactics and formation giving us an uphill task

We were unlucky to go out to a deflected own goal but you have to ask yourself the question what if Grant Holt had started rather playing Jase as a lone striker?

Peevemor
31-05-2019, 11:31 AM
I suspect it was simply a question of budget. I've no idea what Holt was being paid, but maybe Lennon/Hibs reckoned they could use that money better elsewhere.

Stevie Reid
31-05-2019, 11:40 AM
I hear what you are saying but ultimately we lost this tie

Grant Holt did well to come on at 0-2 down he gave us a different dimension he began to hold the ball up the ball started to stick and he pulled a goal back within two minutes of coming on

Probably more accurate to say that once again Neil Lennon picked the wrong team tactics and formation giving us an uphill task

We were unlucky to go out to a deflected own goal but you have to ask yourself the question what if Grant Holt had started rather playing Jase as a lone striker?

If you were desperate to have a go at the manager at the time, you could say that - though if he gets slated for apparently picking the wrong team, then surely he gets credit for making the sub to change the game in our favour?

We lost a ridiculous goal after 12 seconds that day, don't know how any manager can legislate for that - and was therefore hard to know how the game would have panned out otherwise. We lost another shocker after 25 minutes, and ultimately lost to a deflection so significant it was classed as an own goal. We were completely dominant for long spells in that game, and would say that we were genuinely unlucky that day - Derek McInnes certainly did.

Anyway, as others have said, Holt was a solid signing for us and more than served his purpose. Would have happily kept him for another year, but it's hard to argue that we missed him.

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2019, 12:09 PM
If you were desperate to have a go at the manager at the time, you could say that - though if he gets slated for apparently picking the wrong team, then surely he gets credit for making the sub to change the game in our favour?

We lost a ridiculous goal after 12 seconds that day, don't know how any manager can legislate for that - and was therefore hard to know how the game would have panned out otherwise. We lost another shocker after 25 minutes, and ultimately lost to a deflection so significant it was classed as an own goal. We were completely dominant for long spells in that game, and would say that we were genuinely unlucky that day - Derek McInnes certainly did.

Anyway, as others have said, Holt was a solid signing for us and more than served his purpose. Would have happily kept him for another year, but it's hard to argue that we missed him.

Agree

Compounded by Lenny telling SJM to take the ball for a run from the kick off and getting ambushed by Sheep players followed by Dazzas interception and short pass to Efe followed up by Rocky making a pigs ear of Christie’s freekick

I don’t suppose you can legislate for such things

As you quite rightly say credit to him for making the change

Jase was never a lone striker

Stevie Reid
31-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Agree

Compounded by Lenny telling SJM to take the ball for a run from the kick off and getting ambushed by Sheep players followed by Dazzas interception and short pass to Efe followed up by Rocky making a pigs ear of Christie’s freekick

I don’t suppose you can legislate for such things

As you quite rightly say credit to him for making the change

Jase was never a lone striker

Fair dos man, and definitely agree on the last point. Aberdeen midfield that day was formidable - McLean, Shinnie, Jack, Christie - and they were the second best team in the country at the time (hence Lennon's claim about how we could be when back up the following season). As such I can understand why he felt the need to try the extra man in midfield. We had barely had possession of the ball by the time Holt came on though.

Was a rousing performance from then on though, and Aberdeen struggled big time. That deflection on the winning goal was genuinely one of the cruelest I've seen, you can see from behind the goal how wicked the spin was.

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Fair dos man, and definitely agree on the last point. Aberdeen midfield that day was formidable - McLean, Shinnie, Jack, Christie - and they were the second best team in the country at the time (hence Lennon's claim about how we could be when back up the following season). As such I can understand why he felt the need to try the extra man in midfield. We had barely had possession of the ball by the time Holt came on though.

Was a rousing performance from then on though, and Aberdeen struggled big time. That deflection on the winning goal was genuinely one of the cruelest I've seen, you can see from behind the goal how wicked the spin was.

:aok:

Lancs Harp
01-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Early doors Aberdeen pressed us very well and our back four kept getting caught coughing the ball up. The only out ball was to go long but going long to Jase was no answer. The change was forced on us by the way Aberdeen played. To be honest we still arent that great at the back if someone plays a high press against us but that day for the first half hour the Dons did it very well and we couldnt cope with it at all until we had a greater target up front. I thought we were very unlucky after that, it was a great fightback.

The Modfather
01-06-2019, 12:13 PM

He also played McGeough as a left midfielder that game. Was like playing with 10 men until he changed it, which wasn’t McGeough’s fault as he’s never a left midfielder, same as when he shoehorned Slivka as a wingback against Asteras.

Always felt Lennon had a tendency to get it wrong in the big games, but credit where it’s due he was always good at spotting when it wasn’t working and making the correct changes. He was good at reacting in the big games but not always so much proactive IMO.

Smartie
01-06-2019, 12:18 PM
He also played McGeough as a left midfielder that game. Was like playing with 10 men until he changed it, which wasn’t McGeough’s fault as he’s never a left midfielder, same as when he shoehorned Slivka as a wingback against Asterss.

Always felt Lennon had a tendency to get it wrong in the big games, but credit where it’s due he was always good at spotting when it wasn’t working and making the correct changes. He was good at reacting in the big games but not always so much proactive IMO.

I remember that time we were down to the bare bones and he took us to Ibrox with a very makeshift side and won.

The problem with that was that it empowered him to try ridiculous things from time to time and expect to get away with it.

Early on with PH, he seemed to have a very clear idea about what his best team was and he stuck with it. Yes, he has had some poor performances especially against Celtic and Rangers but he gives the impression that he knows what he is doing.

Lennon was a very good manager for us, but increasingly you were looking his team selections and thinking wtf, and these were in games when he did have plenty of other options available.

In fairness to Lennon, he knew his best team during our strong 2nd half of the previous season and he played the same team week in week out.

Kato
01-06-2019, 12:20 PM
I'd argue that he was completely necessary without being particularly spectacular.

We did need him though. IMO

Correct, at that level you need a hefty guy to occupy the opposition c/h's . He was also very good with his defensive duties. We needed a job done and he was perfect for it.

Centre Hawf
01-06-2019, 12:32 PM
When he showed up I questioned how much he wanted it and it seemed a bit of a dud signing for a few months. I think he thought he would bang them in a terrible standard of league and he realised actually it was a lot better than he thought. He or Lennon seemed to change his role in the team to support and wrestle with the physical defenders to create space for Jase and you can see he really loved playing with Holt.

You could see he was nearly done but I would have probably kept him for another season purely to play a supporting/coach role. We lost Jase and maybe needed that older head who was around last season to give lads like Simon Murray and Oli Shaw a boost or guidance. Although I understand why we probably chose not to bother but I would have preferred we handled the situation a bit better. Loved him in the end and is a bit of a cult hero for me.

Pretty Boy
01-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Done a job therefore decent signing, probably the right decision to move him on when we did, we should have told him.

The end.

heretoday
01-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Holt is a bit of an erse.

What's he ever done to write a book for heaven sake?

bigwheel
01-06-2019, 05:36 PM

Had a long and credible football career.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just Alf
01-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Had an open goal to score if only xxxx (can't remember and on bus) had passed the ball across the goal instead of battering it against the goalie.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

04Sauzee
01-06-2019, 05:42 PM

You don't have to buy it or read it. Seems a decent family guy to me

Vault Boy
01-06-2019, 06:40 PM

He's a very amiable individual who had an excellent footballing career and has written himself into sporting legend for an entire county. Seems enough to me.

Fortunately, in free countries, anyone can write a book. I don't see the point in discouraging people from doing so.

JimBHibees
01-06-2019, 09:47 PM

Incredibly harsh.

heretoday
01-06-2019, 09:56 PM
Incredibly harsh.

What are you going to shell out folding money for his book? Is anyone? Aye right..................

JimBHibees
01-06-2019, 10:21 PM
What are you going to shell out folding money for his book? Is anyone? Aye right..................

No but I am sure loads of Norwich fans will. Do you know him well enough to call him an arse?

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-06-2019, 08:00 AM
I liked the way that we played when he was in the side. He reminded me of Craig Brewster but with extra timber. He was a real example of a player who split the fans down the middle though. There was some real self inflated comments about what he brought to the team and what it meant if you couldn't see it.

Eyrie
02-06-2019, 09:57 AM

There are plenty of books out there that I have no interest in reading, but does that mean they shouldn't be published?

It's the same with music - plenty of bands/singers release stuff that I wouldn't listen to.