PDA

View Full Version : Scotland squad

Diclonius
28-05-2019, 11:02 AM
McNulty called up again. A healthy amount of non-OF Premiership players too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48430589

hfc rd
28-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Still no place for Liam Cooper from Leeds Utd?

number9dream
28-05-2019, 11:29 AM
No David Bates either. Charlie Mulgrew hasn't played for a while after dropping out of the Blackburn team.
Findlay is decent but I don't rate Devlin and Palmer is pretty lucky to get another call.
Maybe Cooper has said no thanks like some of the other guys who are still missing like Ritchie, Snodgrass and McArthur.

Spudster
28-05-2019, 11:44 AM
No huns 😂

Unseen work
28-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Not one rangers player.

Morgan supposedly been really poor for Sunderland

Really like how many players from the SPFL are in it though, but surprised he never gave David’s Turbull a shot after the season he’s had, albeit we are spoiled with options in there.

Found 4 keepers a bit extreme but by the looks of it it’s just to see overall what he’s got to assess for himself.

Billy Whizz
28-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Not one rangers player.

Morgan supposedly been really poor for Sunderland

Really like how many players from the SPFL are in it though, but surprised he never gave David’s Turbull a shot after the season he’s had, albeit we are spoiled with options in there.

Found 4 keepers a bit extreme but by the looks of it it’s just to see overall what he’s got to assess for himself.

Didn’t think this was ever going to be a revolutionary squad, only started the job last week

Deansy
28-05-2019, 11:50 AM
No huns 😂

That'll cut down the usual number of call-offs !

Diclonius
28-05-2019, 11:51 AM
No huns 😂

Was going to comment that I was surprised Arfield isn't in there, but then I remembered he plays for Canada. I guess Jack is a surprise omission?

J-C
28-05-2019, 11:52 AM
No real changes tbh, still a few there who should be nowhere near the squad.

SteveHFC
28-05-2019, 11:53 AM
I’ll get slated for this but McNulty isn’t good enough for international football.

HoboHarry
28-05-2019, 11:56 AM
I’ll get slated for this but McNulty isn’t good enough for international football.
Well that's two managers now who think otherwise....

overdrive
28-05-2019, 12:00 PM

I'd tend to agree.

overdrive
28-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Was going to comment that I was surprised Arfield isn't in there, but then I remembered he plays for Canada. I guess Jack is a surprise omission?

That video doing the rounds probably hasn't helped his cause.

brog
28-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Still no place for Liam Cooper from Leeds Utd?
It's just like a McLeish squad really. How Burke, Mulgrew & Morgan are in there is amazing. Only Anglo who's come back in is Cairney. As you say, no place for Cooper, or Phillips, Ritchie, Snodgrass or Fletch. I'm a bit discouraged.

brog
28-05-2019, 12:09 PM

He's good enough for Scotland. We started last game with a defender as striker & Morgan & Burke haven't started recently. We've very few options if Fletch isn't there.

AgentDaleCooper
28-05-2019, 12:15 PM
i get the feeling he really doesn't like the OF, and wants to help the other teams in scottish football progress, which i think is awesome. He's not going to be a yes man to the succulent lambs :thumbsup:

Edinburgh Green
28-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Thought Liam Lindsay and David Turnbull may have been called up. Also pleasantly surprised to see Cairney, as I thot he'd given up on Scotland.

Since452
28-05-2019, 12:17 PM
No huns 😂

The way it should be

Diclonius
28-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Thought Liam Lindsay and David Turnbull may have been called up. Also pleasantly surprised to see Cairney, as I thot he'd given up on Scotland.

Me too. If he plays in either game it means he can't sit on the fence again either.

Sylar
28-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Does nothing for me - a lot of pats on the backs of his former players. Taylor, Finlay and Devlin should be nowhere near a Scotland national side - nor should Mulgrew, Morgan or Palmer (who was absolutely out of his depth against Kazakhstan).

Belgium won't be trembling - Cyprus might even like their chances.

CorrieHibs
28-05-2019, 01:20 PM
A few wild inclusions; Mulgrew, Palmer, Devlin, Morgan and Burke.

Don’t think McNulty is good enough either tbh.

Surprised Jack not being called up. Is McBurnie injured?

ancient hibee
28-05-2019, 01:26 PM

Agree.Think an international striker should be able to head the ball.He's very poor at it.

Greencore
28-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Well... We have to try something different I guess..

Scouse Hibee
28-05-2019, 02:04 PM
Remember Clark is trying to turn the Scotland set up into a club scenario, it’s not all about individual players being good enough either, it’s about turning those players into a team that is good enough.

Since452
28-05-2019, 02:09 PM

I agree but we have nobody else really until Leigh is back

Steve20
28-05-2019, 02:19 PM
He's picked Kilmarnock players because he knows them. One of them he's said is the most consistent left back in the league. Garbage. Lewis Stevenson all day long if Tierney and Robertson can't make it.

Leaving out Rangers players, mainly Ryan Jack, is probably just him being bitter because of his dislike of Rangers.

Good manager but he seems to be going to pick players based on clubs he likes/dislikes.

stoneyburn hibs
28-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Liam Henderson seems to have been forgotten about.

JimBHibees
28-05-2019, 02:32 PM
He's good enough for Scotland. We started last game with a defender as striker & Morgan & Burke haven't started recently. We've very few options if Fletch isn't there.

Bit of a shame Fletch not involved unless injured.

Smartie
28-05-2019, 02:33 PM
I thought Brophy was Irish?

vercol36
28-05-2019, 03:42 PM

After Liam becomes a Serie A player on Sunday, it’s going to look an even stranger decision!!

Sir David Gray
28-05-2019, 03:46 PM
I thought Brophy was Irish?

Born and bred in Glasgow.

Smartie
28-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Born and bred in Glasgow.

Good.

He's a decent player who deserves a chance to show what he can do.

overdrive
28-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Good.

He's a decent player who deserves a chance to show what he can do.

He was with us as a youth as well.

Hanlon
28-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Not surprised by the lack of changes considering he's basically just in the door, be more interested to see the squad he picks for the next set of internationals.

He'll have a lot of faith in the Killie players he's picked to cover injuries like where Tierney and Douglas have pulled out for whatever injuries and Taylor comes in as a young player as cover for Robertson.

Lago
28-05-2019, 06:24 PM
I'd tend to agree.
As do I

CMurdoch
28-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Good to see Marshall and Cairney are back as i thought they had decided tey didn't want to be part of the Scotland up.

calumhibee1
29-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Is he not a sub most weeks in Italy?

Oscar T Grouch
29-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Is he not a sub most weeks in Italy?

Started 18 out of 28 games, off the bench 10 times, missed being in the squad once at the start of the season. He is getting games in a position (CM) where Verona have good players. So in short, no, not a sub most weeks.

calumhibee1
29-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Started 18 out of 28 games, off the bench 10 times, missed being in the squad once at the start of the season. He is getting games in a position (CM) where Verona have good players. So in short, no, not a sub most weeks.

I take that back then. I thought I’d read on here he wasn’t playing most weeks :aok:

Smartie
29-05-2019, 02:28 PM
I take that back then. I thought I’d read on here he wasn’t playing most weeks :aok:

He does play in a position where Scotland are fairly strong.

If his team get promoted and he's playing regularly in serie A next season then he'd have a very strong case.

I think he's cracking player btw who would be well worthy of a place, albeit I've not seen him play for a while.

Spike Mandela
29-05-2019, 02:47 PM
Nice we boost to the the transfer value of Killie players as well. Purely coincidental no doubt.:cb

CapitalGreen
29-05-2019, 03:16 PM
Did the folk who are complaining about Killie players being picked after they finished third, complain when Dylan and Lewis got an end of season call up on the back of our 4th placed finish?

JimBHibees
30-05-2019, 06:01 AM
Nice we boost to the the transfer value of Killie players as well. Purely coincidental no doubt.:cb

Personally don't have an issue with the Killie players. Think Findlay is one of the best centre backs in the league in an area we are weak, O'Donnell has already done well for Scotland and again Brophy has been good as a forward another weak area. Taylor assuming is cover for a Robertson. First two imo can play at this level second two not so sure but no harm in them being in to see how they go. As a coach also good having a group who know how you work given the very little time he will have with the players.

Smartie
30-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Personally don't have an issue with the Killie players. Think Findlay is one of the best centre backs in the league in an area we are weak, O'Donnell has already done well for Scotland and again Brophy has been good as a forward another weak area. Taylor assuming is cover for a Robertson. First two imo can play at this level second two not so sure but no harm in them being in to see how they go. As a coach also good having a group who know how you work given the very little time he will have with the players.

Other countries have done well at taking fairly average club players and making them pretty useful pieces in a bigger jigsaw at International level.

We have some quality now, these players are as deserving as anyone of an opportunity to show whether or not they can do a job.