PDA

View Full Version : Hooooof! (NHC)

Not In The Know
27-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Did you see Hearts restart the second half at the cup final? They kicked the ball into touch on purpose directly from taking centre, most likely to try and gain territory, then nearly got caught on the break...

Dr Football sets the standard again :clown:

brog
27-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Did you see Hearts restart the second half at the cup final? They kicked the ball into touch on purpose directly from taking centre, most likely to try and gain territory, then nearly got caught on the break...

I posted about this on the Soft touch thread IIRC. They did same after equaliser also. Absolutely astonishing, as you say a 1st for anti football.

GibbytheHibby2
27-05-2019, 02:08 PM
I posted about this on the Soft touch thread IIRC. They did same after equaliser also. Absolutely astonishing, as you say a 1st for anti football.

Not sure it's really anti-football. The great Jock Stein instructed his teams to use that on occasion. His thinking was to put the opposition on the back foot and basically start the game in their half by pressing them there.

We've also used it in the not too distant past.

Not In The Know
27-05-2019, 02:19 PM
if the opposition have the ball you are never going to score.

Jdawg
27-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Nearly dropped my pint when I saw the hoof.

It’s not rugby union.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-05-2019, 02:24 PM
if the opposition have the ball you are never going to score.

What about yesterday's Sunderland game?

brog
27-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Not sure it's really anti-football. The great Jock Stein instructed his teams to use that on occasion. His thinking was to put the opposition on the back foot and basically start the game in their half by pressing them there.

We've also used it in the not too distant past.

I have never seen Hibs deliberately kick a ball out of play as an attacking measure & hopefully never will. I think you're talking about playing a ball deep into the opposition half, not deliberately kicking it out. That's a rugby tactic.

grunt
27-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Hearts once tried to score against us direct from the kick off, I think. Tried to catch the keeper off his line.

Jdawg
27-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Hearts once tried to score against us direct from the kick off, I think. Tried to catch the keeper off his line.

0-1 Brian Kerr derby?

H18 SFR
27-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Michael Stewart?

grunt
27-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Sorry I can't remember who it was or which game. Memory like a sieve.

JeMeSouviens
27-05-2019, 02:48 PM
I didn't see the game, just checked out this innovative masterplan on iplayer.

:greengrin Celtc players must've been like wtf? :confused:

Peevemor
27-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Something akin to this tactical masterpiece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBu0V6RBIZc

JeMeSouviens
27-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Something akin to this tactical masterpiece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBu0V6RBIZc

Don't think anything will ever top that :greengrin

Such a shame it was the New Huns that benefited. :rolleyes:

Iggy Pope
27-05-2019, 02:55 PM
I have never seen Hibs deliberately kick a ball out of play as an attacking measure & hopefully never will. I think you're talking about playing a ball deep into the opposition half, not deliberately kicking it out. That's a rugby tactic.

Anyone who witnessed that 4-4 game at Tynie will know that deep into injury time it is exactly what Hibs should have done though when kicking off at 4-3 up.

ac1
27-05-2019, 02:56 PM

We used to do it straight from kick off - was it under Fenlon? I hated us doing it!

Hibee87
27-05-2019, 02:58 PM

0-1 Brian Kerr derby?

Michael Stewart?

Aye it was. Mikey punted it from KO and big Maka just calmly reached up and caught it with ease. Brian Kerr scored after a few minutes, was bouncing and my first visit to see us win at Tynie

brog
27-05-2019, 03:19 PM
We used to do it straight from kick off - was it under Fenlon? I hated us doing it!

We didn't do that. I remember one manager, don't think it was Wee Pat,used to line up several of our players on one touchline & we floated the ball towards them. It quite often went out of play but that's a long way from what Hawrts did on Saturday. They drove the ball deliberately out of play, almost to the corner flag. TBF, it was probably their most accurate pass of the day.

overdrive
27-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Is Matt Le Tissier involved at Hearts? That was one of his favourite things - for a completely different reason (probably) to Levein's love of rugby tactics.

brog
27-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Anyone who witnessed that 4-4 game at Tynie will know that deep into injury time it is exactly what Hibs should have done though when kicking off at 4-3 up.

I agree but that would have been a defensive tactic, on Saturday that was Hearts' attacking strategy.

wookie70
27-05-2019, 08:07 PM
We used to do it straight from kick off - was it under Fenlon? I hated us doing it!We 0layed a long ball 8nto the corner in the hope of a throw in for about a decade under Alex Miller. It drove me mental. Lennon's teams did it quite often as did Butchers

SChibs
27-05-2019, 08:11 PM
John Mcginn did the same for hibs loads of times last season

The 90+2
27-05-2019, 08:15 PM
They knew Celtic would play out from the back so used it to press them. Fair game for a ***** football team.

The 90+2
27-05-2019, 08:15 PM
John Mcginn did the same for hibs loads of times last season

Only not at Hampden the year before sadly.

Eyrie
27-05-2019, 09:44 PM
We 0layed a long ball 8nto the corner in the hope of a throw in for about a decade under Alex Miller. It drove me mental. Lennon's teams did it quite often as did Butchers

It was usually aimed toward Keith Wright, but that usually had as much success as aiming for the corner.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-05-2019, 09:47 PM
We 0layed a long ball 8nto the corner in the hope of a throw in for about a decade under Alex Miller. It drove me mental. Lennon's teams did it quite often as did Butchers

Olay Olay Olay Olay 😀

Bishop Hibee
27-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Let’s get it straight. Hibs have never deliberately launched a kick off for a shy as near to the corner flag as possible. I laughed like a drain as I couldn’t believe what I’d seen then they did it again. Anti-football but it’s from the 4-6 tactical genius so no surprise. Long may he stay in the job!

MrSmith
27-05-2019, 10:01 PM

Andy Goram’s first derby, was Craig Levine who took kick off. We won that day 2-1. :flag:

Forza Fred
27-05-2019, 10:21 PM
It is a standard tactic in Australia’s rugby league competition.

Rumours are circulating that Harry Potter will be coach of Brisbane Broncos next season.

lord bunberry
27-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Obviously they were looking to the sidelines for inspiration but Levein was locked in the cludgie so they reverted to type and just booted the ball as hard as they could.

brog
28-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Let’s get it straight. Hibs have never deliberately launched a kick off for a shy as near to the corner flag as possible. I laughed like a drain as I couldn’t believe what I’d seen then they did it again. Anti-football but it’s from the 4-6 tactical genius so no surprise. Long may he stay in the job!

Thank you, that's what I've been trying to say. It never ceases to amaze me why Hibs supporters on this board leap to the defence of Hearts or use criticism of them as an excuse to criticise our club.

Northernhibee
28-05-2019, 07:24 AM

I’ve defo seen it, I think under Fenlon.

nonshinyfinish
28-05-2019, 01:40 PM
We didn't do that. I remember one manager, don't think it was Wee Pat,used to line up several of our players on one touchline & we floated the ball towards them. It quite often went out of play but that's a long way from what Hawrts did on Saturday. They drove the ball deliberately out of play, almost to the corner flag. TBF, it was probably their most accurate pass of the day.I think this was under Williamson. I don't ever remember it working, but you're right that the intent was for one of the players charging down the wing to get the ball.

I'm putting this weekend's version down as another genuine Doctor Football innovation.

overdrive
28-05-2019, 10:36 PM
Butcher’s main tactic was to shove a relatively tall guy out wide (Collins) and punt balls at him in the hope we win a throw in the final third or win a corner or win the second ball.

Deansy
28-05-2019, 11:35 PM

Aw c'mon, they just wanted their fans to see what the ball in the Septic half looked like !

brog
29-05-2019, 09:05 AM
I’ve defo seen it, I think under Fenlon.

A serious question, (not intended to be smart a--e) for you & others on here making Hibs comparisons with what happened on Saturday. Did you actually see it happen? Genuinely, I've been watching football for over 60 years & I rewound my TV to make sure I hadn't imagined it. Now remember, until this season the ball had to go forward from kick off. When we used to lump the ball forward to the wing from ko, the ball went forward then back, usually at an angle & a high kick was then aimed at the opposite touchline, about half way into the opposition half. By that time there were usually one or more Hibs players competing for the ball.
On Saturday the ball was passed back & immediately launched to the corner flag. It was actually very accurate, the egg chasers would have been drooling. When the ball went out of play, may even have been on the full, there wasn't a Hearts' player within 30 yards of it. They then all rushed up to contest the throw in. The look on Lustig's face was priceless. It really was like nothing I've ever seen before. Harry Potter 460, master of the dark arts & innovation strikes again.

JeMeSouviens
29-05-2019, 09:10 AM
A serious question, (not intended to be smart a--e) for you & others on here making Hibs comparisons with what happened on Saturday. Did you actually see it happen? Genuinely, I've been watching football for over 60 years & I rewound my TV to make sure I hadn't imagined it. Now remember, until this season the ball had to go forward from kick off. When we used to lump the ball forward to the wing from ko, the ball went forward then back, usually at an angle & a high kick was then aimed at the opposite touchline, about half way into the opposition half. By that time there were usually one or more Hibs players competing for the ball.
On Saturday the ball was passed back & immediately launched to the corner flag. It was actually very accurate, the egg chasers would have been drooling. When the ball went out of play, may even have been on the full, there wasn't a Hearts' player within 30 yards of it. They then all rushed up to contest the throw in. The look on Lustig's face was priceless. It really was like nothing I've ever seen before. Harry Potter 460, master of the dark arts & innovation strikes again.

I think you're spot on. A high ball to compete for is not the same as a rugby style kick for territory.

Smartie
29-05-2019, 09:29 AM
I've seen it done by Hibs, and seen it done fairly recently, possibly under Neil Lennon.

WeveGotMcginn
29-05-2019, 09:41 AM
I've seen it done by Hibs, and seen it done fairly recently, possibly under Neil Lennon.

Lennon used to have us play a chipped ball across to gray or whittaker from kick off as they were both strong in the air, the tactic from hearts on Saturday was completely different and the only purpose was to give celtic a throw as close to the corner flag as possible

Smartie
29-05-2019, 10:11 AM
Lennon used to have us play a chipped ball across to gray or whittaker from kick off as they were both strong in the air, the tactic from hearts on Saturday was completely different and the only purpose was to give celtic a throw as close to the corner flag as possible

We must have got it wrong a few times because we definitely lumped it out of play, far up the park with no Hibs players nearby.

SaulGoodman
29-05-2019, 10:18 AM
What’s with the weird fetish on this site for defending Hearts at every opportunity

JeMeSouviens
29-05-2019, 10:27 AM
What’s with the weird fetish on this site for defending Hearts at every opportunity

Virtue signalling.

matty_f
29-05-2019, 10:43 AM
:agree:
Spoilsport behaviour, IMHO. Never understood it, the whole point of having rivals is to rip into them for pretty much any old reason.

hibsbollah
29-05-2019, 10:45 AM
It's not just Levein. I watch Marseille regularly and Rudi Garcia regularly does this straight from kickoff; the ball gets launched as near the corner flag as possible and then it's an immediate high press from all 5 forward players to get the ball back.

He's got his jotters now though, onwards under the Vilas Boas revolution...

where'stheslope
29-05-2019, 12:03 PM
The reason I thought was to put a press on Celtics midfield and force defenders to pass back to Bain who's kicking was a nightmare all game!
I thought throughout the game Celtic were jittery at the back with Hertz players in their faces!
It was working in my mind, but they forgot how to defend late on and were punished, as for the penalty, that is just Collum for you!!!!

The Spaceman
29-05-2019, 12:14 PM
People claiming Hibs have done it in the past - yes, maybe when clearing the lines under pressure or up to a target man!!

Hearts on the other hand did something more akin to a Standoff kicking in a Rugby match. A total punt ad far into the corner as possible with not a single Hearts player in that half to battle for it. Total anti-football as always from them - how can their loser supporters sit and watch that every week?!

PH91
29-05-2019, 01:34 PM
People claiming Hibs have done it in the past - yes, maybe when clearing the lines under pressure or up to a target man!!

Hearts on the other hand did something more akin to a Standoff kicking in a Rugby match. A total punt ad far into the corner as possible with not a single Hearts player in that half to battle for it. Total anti-football as always from them - how can their loser supporters sit and watch that every week?!

Hibs have definitely done this from kick off in the recent past, with mcginn being the man to play the long ball. Other teams also use this tactic, i may have to stand corrected but didnt brondby do something similar a easter road, even scoring a goal albeit aided with terrible goalkeeping.

I completely agree with the earlier poster though that the long ball was delayed with the intention of finding a man high up the pitch, not just hoofing it straight out (although i remember super john mistakingly doing just that on a few occasions).

Jim44
30-05-2019, 04:44 AM
Hibs have definitely done this from kick off in the recent past, with mcginn being the man to play the long ball. Other teams also use this tactic, i may have to stand corrected but didnt brondby do something similar a easter road, even scoring a goal albeit aided with terrible goalkeeping.

I completely agree with the earlier poster though that the long ball was delayed with the intention of finding a man high up the pitch, not just hoofing it straight out (although i remember super john mistakingly doing just that on a few occasions).

......... yeh, we’re well shot of him. He’ll go nowhere in the game.... :greengrin