PDA

View Full Version : Which Improvements Would You Like To See Most At ER?

Speedway
26-05-2019, 07:36 PM
I've posted this in the PM forum thinking it was being posted in main, so...

As the club posts pictures of the new pitch getting ready for next season, I started thinking about what development I'd like to see the club spend money on.

Obviously we talk about filling in the corners, the naming of the stands, the long awaited helipad and we've also got a big piece of empty land we own between the FF and East.

Given all the HibsTV media facilities we have, I'd like to see a new scoreboard replace our current Atari version and be placed in the corner between East and South, where it could show player profiles, clips from past matches, replays of goals and of course, a great source of Ad revenue.

This would give us a stadium befitting one of 'Europe's best young strikers'.

What improvement would you like to see at the ground?

Leitherhibs
26-05-2019, 07:39 PM

As the club posts pictures of the new pitch getting ready for next season, I started thinking about what development I'd like to see the club spend money on.

Obviously we talk about filling in the corners, the naming of the stands, the long awaited helipad and we've also got a big piece of empty land we own between the FF and East.

Given all the HibsTV media facilities we have, I'd like to see a new scoreboard replace our current Atari version and be placed in the corner between East and South, where it could show player profiles, clips from past matches, replays of goals and of course, a great source of Ad revenue.

Some semi decent grub served in the concourses would be a good start.

H18 SFR
26-05-2019, 07:39 PM

I'd rather have a player on the park scoring goals than spend money on a TV screen to watch replays of goals.

Jones28
26-05-2019, 07:51 PM
I would build a supporters hub on that empty site. A restaurant for those who want good grub - somewhere proper wi tablecloths n that (Still Game fans get fifty pence for placing that quote), then a bar/pub type place for everyday fans who want a beer and a burger before the game.

You could even have a museum on site too, as well as more hospitality suites that could have boxes and balconies facing the pitch from the corner.

I think that would be cool as ****.

Otherwise it's quite clear that the stadium needs tarted up, as evidenced by the club looking for staff.

BS44
26-05-2019, 07:52 PM
A light above each of the beautiful Hibernian badges on the West Stand

Sir David Gray
26-05-2019, 07:53 PM
A decent PA system would be nice.

Robbo6-2
26-05-2019, 07:54 PM
We should have a fan zone in between the east and ff.

Giant screen to watch games, outside catering and a place for kids to play football.

1875STEVE
26-05-2019, 07:55 PM

I know it would never happen, but id love to see a big supporters (maybe multi level) bar built in that corner between the east and ff, like the one's they do in Holland. Keep the prices as low as possible., serve decent grub, big tv's to get folk in before for other games etc. loads of memorabilia dotted about.

Id most like to see them Improve the tannoy/sound system, it's *****.

Iggy Pope
26-05-2019, 07:59 PM
A light above each of the beautiful Hibernian badges on the West Stand

That sounds nice. I’d pitch in.

LaMotta
26-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Safe standing section in FF lower and a harp on top middle of the East Stand:aok:

The 90+2
26-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Singing section behind the goal and sort the PA system out.

we are hibs
26-05-2019, 08:20 PM
What is the space between the FF and East currently used for? See a a few cars being ushered in; is it an overspill of the west stand car park atm?

we are hibs
26-05-2019, 08:22 PM
The concourse in the east is a bit dull. Maybe more green and white rather than Grey? Also is there really any need for the massive sponsor borders around the TV screens? Go down at half time and look up to check the results and you can barely make it out.

Since452
26-05-2019, 08:25 PM
I'd love the long awaited Famous Five statue

Waxy
26-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Safe standing in the lower FF

Robbo6-2
26-05-2019, 08:27 PM
The concourse in the east is a bit dull. Maybe more green and white rather than Grey? Also is there really any need for the massive sponsor borders around the TV screens? Go down at half time and look up to check the results and you can barely make it out.

Might sound silly but there is very little/no shelves for putting your food and drink on in the East Concourse

Onceinawhile
26-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Safe standing in the lower FF

Wouldn't really work for some of the young kids in the family section?

I'd like to see the steel work behind the famous Five replaced. It has the sillouhete of the old beer may badge on it.

Tom Hart RIP
26-05-2019, 08:33 PM
What is the space between the FF and East currently used for? See a a few cars being ushered in; is it an overspill of the west stand car park atm?

It’s used by photographers so they can easily get cameras etc pitchside

Mantis Toboggan
26-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Catering is abysmal.
Also, better music. Charts now are absolute ***** and sadly ER is the only place I get made to listen to anything like them

The Harp Awakes
26-05-2019, 08:46 PM

The mosaic harp reinstated in its rightful place.

eastcoasthibby
26-05-2019, 08:53 PM

So will we spend 50 grand or something like that on a sound system instead of a players wages ...is a PA system really that important in the scheme of things ?

eastcoasthibby
26-05-2019, 08:57 PM

It's a waste of space ...but to build on it it needs to be the right business venture for us, that gets us good revenue . There is space in the FF that needs upgrading that can be used for pre match family use .

J-C
26-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Decent PA system

Singing section in an area where they'll help with the atmosphere, maybe massage standing in one the corner between Famous 5 and East stand.

Decent priced food

Fan club somewhere in the ground, BTG is crap.

Scouse Hibee
26-05-2019, 09:12 PM
An improvement on the pitch with better players is all I want.

bigstu
26-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Toilets in the West Lower that don't involve those entering having to squeeze past those exiting, therefore taking away the log jam that happens every week.

Hibs are a well run club but do nothing at all to enhance the match day experience ever. I suppose they've measured that they don't need to, we'll just keep coming back.

Renfrew_Hibby
26-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Just out of interest, what do you suppose is the life span of the FF & South stands?

They are 25 years old this summer and although very functional and all that, are they starting to show their age?

Slightly tired looking now and things like lifts starting to falter, what can we do?

Remember when the East was built the pitch was enlarged in an easterly direction. This means that the two end stands no longer sit centered on the middle of the pitch, its just a minor thing but a wee bug bear of mine.

If money was no object, I would build two new end stands, both single tiered and with the FF end being totally safe standing. The gap between the FF and East could be used for much revamped function suites, shops, museum or fans hub or a combination of all of that as the space is very large indeed.

Thoughts?

Since452
26-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Just out of interest, what do you suppose is the life span of the FF & South stands?

They are 25 years old this summer and although very functional and all that, are they starting to show their age?

Slightly tired looking now and things like lifts starting to falter, what can we do?

Remember when the East was built the pitch was enlarged in an easterly direction. This means that the two end stands no longer sit centered on the middle of the pitch, its just a minor thing but a wee bug bear of mine.

If money was no object, I would build two new end stands, both single tiered and with the FF end being totally safe standing. The gap between the FF and East could be used for much revamped function suites, shops, museum or fans hub or a combination of all of that as the space is very large indeed.

Thoughts?

I was in the main stand recently for the stadium tour and was really surprised at how tatty and tired it was. Ripped carpets and things. Thats a stand what, 5 years younger than the FF and South stands? I know thats the inside but still.

ancient hibee
26-05-2019, 09:35 PM
Spend some money on extending and taking control of the food and drink outlets.

Get a centre forward who can head the ball.:greengrin

SChibs
26-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Toilets in the West Lower that don't involve those entering having to squeeze past those exiting, therefore taking away the log jam that happens every week.

Hibs are a well run club but do nothing at all to enhance the match day experience ever. I suppose they've measured that they don't need to, we'll just keep coming back.

A few plungers to tackle the log jam shouldn't cost the club too much.

S4uzee
26-05-2019, 09:42 PM
We should have a fan zone in between the east and ff.

Giant screen to watch games, outside catering and a place for kids to play football.

Good idea.

Moving the singing section is an absolute must

Away fans in the upper tier or corner of the west (Hamilton etc)

Camera angle to back of lower tier in the west if possible

Green and white nets

Close the upper tier for games with low crowds (midweek cup games) to condense the crowd

Loads of improvements could be made

Frazerbob
26-05-2019, 10:09 PM
People asking for a bar or restaurant, how much money do you think these would make in the few hours trading every other week?

Frazerbob
26-05-2019, 10:12 PM

It’s known as the ‘triangle’ within the club and is the player’s car park on match days.

HibeeJude
26-05-2019, 11:16 PM
Famous Five lower to be turned into the singing section with safe standing and family section into the west lower (better view and more room for the next generation of Hibs fans)

Haymaker
27-05-2019, 12:05 AM
I'd love the long awaited Famous Five statue

While I agree, they already have a stand named after them. If we're going to get statues, it should be one of Sir David Peter Gray, Hibernian FC Captain to begin with.

PatHead
27-05-2019, 06:24 AM
Might sound silly but there is very little/no shelves for putting your food and drink on in the East Concourse

Think you are going to be happy. Plans for that to be done.

lyonhibs
27-05-2019, 06:24 AM
A clinical striker for starters.

.Sean.
27-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Loads stadium wise. Taking off the green tinted specs, the place is grubby and shabby in places. It wouldn’t cost a fortune to bring it back up to the standard it should be at.

The stands both internally and externally need a serious pressure washing. The concourses need brightened up and all steel work needs some tlc and a coat of paint.

Black nets, failing that green and white

Easter Road Stadium and names of stands on top of stands

The run off area of the pitch not growing through the AstroTurf. It does my nut in.

I’d also love the stadium enclosed with brickwork in the corner, see Genoa. There’s also a stadium in Europe and for the life of me I can’t mind who, but it’s 4 seperate stands enclosed in the corners with white/ grey brickwork which looks smart. The absolute dream would be to knock down the Famous 5 and rebuild that end as a single tier with proper safe terracing like they have in Germany, no this rail seat nonsense, and joining onto the East. Total pipe dream though.

Hibbykk
27-05-2019, 07:16 AM

Agree, PA in West is not good

04Sauzee
27-05-2019, 07:19 AM

Nothing worse than a log jam

The Spaceman
27-05-2019, 07:21 AM
I would like to see:

More Hibs-related things around the ground inside and out. I'm talking murals of great moments, bits of commentary, player quotes etc. Create a very strong sense of history and identity at every turn.
A proper video scoreboard between the East and the South.
A much better bar operation in Behind The Goals, so you no longer have to queue 30 minutes for a pint.
Vastly improved catering.
To try something different, open up the "entrance song" of the team to the fans, give them on instagram/twitter a chance to vote between 5 new songs for each game.

Renfrew_Hibby
27-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Loads stadium wise. Taking off the green tinted specs, the place is grubby and shabby in places. It wouldn’t cost a fortune to bring it back up to the standard it should be at.

The stands both internally and externally need a serious pressure washing. The concourses need brightened up and all steel work needs some tlc and a coat of paint.

Black nets, failing that green and white

Easter Road Stadium and names of stands on top of stands

The run off area of the pitch not growing through the AstroTurf. It does my nut in.

I’d also love the stadium enclosed with brickwork in the corner, see Genoa. There’s also a stadium in Europe and for the life of me I can’t mind who, but it’s 4 seperate stands enclosed in the corners with white/ grey brickwork which looks smart. The absolute dream would be to knock down the Famous 5 and rebuild that end as a single tier with proper safe terracing like they have in Germany, no this rail seat nonsense, and joining onto the East. Total pipe dream though.

I think the stadium you're thinking of with the enclosed corners is the Boavista stadium in Portugal, its a great ground.

With the stands being 25 years old in the case of the FF & South and almost 20 in the West's case, the seats are starting to fade badly. Simply by replacing the seats with fresh green seats would instantly change the appearance of the stadium for the better.

A couple of years ago both Sevilla and Real Betis replaced their faded seating and the results were remarkable (wish I could post before and after so show you just how good the change looked) I noticed during the playoffs that Sunderland have also started to replace their faded seats with improved modern seating and the Stadium of Light is looking so much better.

wookie70
27-05-2019, 07:59 AM
The stadium is more than good enough. Money to the playing side if any available

Brightside
27-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Full size indoor Astro at HTC

Forza Fred
27-05-2019, 08:22 AM
People asking for a bar or restaurant, how much money do you think these would make in the few hours trading every other week?

People tend to forget that the stadium is only in use to a large degree, a few hours each fortnight.

Not trying to hijack the thread but sometime in the future, many clubs are going to have to move to shared communal facilities on match days, as cost of owning and maintaining their own stadium increase.

To be profitable, and provide a decent return on capital expenditure etc, a Qantas jumbo jet has to be in the air close on 24 hrs a day.

Our main asset is in use for a few hours a week.

Leith's finest
27-05-2019, 08:25 AM
1. Full size astro at HTC (to train on before games at killie, Hamilton
2. Power wash the outside off the stands, get them looking smart again.
3. Decent pa for in the East, can't even make out numbers for happy hibee draw at h/t

One Day
27-05-2019, 08:35 AM
A few plungers to tackle the log jam shouldn't cost the club too much.

Made me smile

eastcoasthibby
27-05-2019, 08:49 AM
It’s known as the ‘triangle’ within the club and is the player’s car park on match days.

If we build in there then add a basement for parking if it's such a want and need !! It already sits on or below ground level ..

coldingham hibs
27-05-2019, 09:06 AM
Tannoy system in East Stand, ski lift to get me to my seat (knees starting to buckle), a plan to improve exit time from games, singing section spread along the top row of the East Stand to encourage singing right across the stand, cheaper food to encourage sales & stop ripping fans off e.g. 1 x Capri Sun £1.50 at game 10 x Capri Sun at Asda etc £2.00. I think that’s me happy now 😬.

GloryGlory
27-05-2019, 09:10 AM
A big screen, similar to what they have in English grounds. With updates, results, teams

The 90+2
27-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Sometimes it doesn’t have to be completely about money making to begin with but actually enhancing the match day experience for the support?

The Green Goblin
27-05-2019, 10:02 AM
They could make the Happy Hibee draw much more popular by varying the prizes and having more prizes.

Options might include:

Vouchers for the club shop. (1 x £50, 1 x £25, 1 x £10)
More and smaller guaranteed cash prizes e.g (1 x £500, 1 x £300 and 1 x £200)
Stadium Tour vouchers

Dobosz83
27-05-2019, 10:56 AM
A scoreboard at the Famous Five end as I can’t see the one at the Dunbar End from my seat in the West!

The 90+2
27-05-2019, 10:57 AM
A scoreboard at the Famous Five end as I can’t see the one at the Dunbar End from my seat in the West!

If you’re watching the game surely you know the score?

green&left
27-05-2019, 11:06 AM
They could make the Happy Hibee draw much more popular by varying the prizes and having more prizes.

Options might include:

Vouchers for the club shop. (1 x £50, 1 x £25, 1 x £10)
More and smaller guaranteed cash prizes e.g (1 x £500, 1 x £300 and 1 x £200)
Stadium Tour vouchers

They could make the happy hibee draw more popular by actually having people selling tickets for it.

Since90+2
27-05-2019, 11:14 AM
They could make the happy hibee draw more popular by actually having people selling tickets for it.

Good point. I sit in the East and I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone selling tickets for it.

.Sean.
27-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Genuinely the only place I’ve seen them sold for god knows how long is the bottom of the stairs BTG. They used to always be sold by the turnstiles by youth team players etc

Will the fans reps show this thread to the board?

SquashedFrogg
27-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Good point. I sit in the East and I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone selling tickets for it.

Mate buys one in the East every home game? Normally people selling them as soon as your enter via turnstiles.

Maybe they should be made more visible or have a booth or something?

The 90+2
27-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Not seen them since the bottom of the steps in the Old east. Once I think concourse west lower.

Keith_M
27-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Redecorate the faded paint work (including row numbers on the steps), pressure wash the whole place, replace the ripped padded seats in section 51.

I don't think the plastic seats are yet at the stage where they need to be replaced, but we need to start preparing for that.

Move the Singing Section back to the East Stand, but this time at the north end (back of section 38 or 39). That way, the nutters* in section 43 can join in with the singing but it's still spread out a bit more.

* I use the term affectionately ;-)

Dobosz83
27-05-2019, 12:09 PM
If you’re watching the game surely you know the score?

Well we ought to do away with them across the country based on that logic :wink:

I'm thinking more for the clock as oppose to the score. When I sat in the East it was nice to glance at the South and see what minute we were at in games that were close and I could decide whether to continue chewing my nails.

I also like the half time scores so I can check in on my Acca as there is zero signal from my horrendous Mobile provider the moment I get to my seat.

Lastly, the Happy Hibee draw, I now have a higher chance of winning in the West :greengrin but can never make it out over the PA system. That is usually placed on the scoreboard as well.

For the record, it's really a minor bug bear, I'm quite happy with ER in all honesty!

NAE NOOKIE
27-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Sometimes it doesn’t have to be completely about money making to begin with but actually enhancing the match day experience for the support?

This is my take on it too and why I was so disappointed to see BTG looking like it was on the way out. A building in the FF / East corner devoted to cheap booze and food with a far more imaginative approach to entertaining the kids would enhance the connection between the fans and the club … The ground level could be left open and things like an astroturf area built for kids to kick about on and even swings and the like. The main building could be on stilts above the open area holding the bars and food areas.

Oh and of course a safe standing section in the FF lower :greengrin

.Sean.
27-05-2019, 02:00 PM
I’d like to see banners like the SDG banner on the gable of the FF put up on the walls inside the concourse.
Maybe a Famous Five, maybe something people could buy into like the west stand tiles.

Maybe a banner above the concourse lights but below the RSJs to make a ceiling, big picture and maybe names of contributors.
Great idea and would stop the East concourse feeling so sparse

Frazerbob
27-05-2019, 02:27 PM

Fair comment but I know if given the choice between another supporters bar or a player every season which I’d choose. Plenty places near by to enjoy a drink or a meal pre-match. If a Supporters Bar was a money maker it even self sufficient then fair enough but from my experience it wouldn’t be.

Jdawg
27-05-2019, 02:36 PM
Spend every available penny on the team.

Phil MaGlass
27-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Most of the stuff is cosmetic. Ask companies to come in and do it for free. Offer them free advertising.

penihibs
27-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Most of the stuff is cosmetic. Ask companies to come in and do it for free. Offer them free advertising.

Great Idea, that's something they should look into.

The Green Goblin
27-05-2019, 04:12 PM

That too. It’s months since I saw folk selling tickets in the West Upper.

Why not make them available to buy online??

Wakeyhibee
27-05-2019, 05:09 PM
If they are gonna spend on anything other than playing staff, it should be something that generates a regular income for the playing side long term.

Ricky Bobby
27-05-2019, 05:13 PM
A flume from the top of the East to the Perservere.
I seem to spend half my Saturday getting out of the East Stand.
Failing that sort out the PA.

HoboHarry
27-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Free flights to and from the game for all USA based fans.....

keith_darcy
27-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Would love to see a new interactive scoreboard similar to what the admin described, and also to re-paint all the seats in the stadium. Something along the lines of what Sunderland did at the start of the season [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since90+2
27-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Simple idea for the Happy Hibee draw is when you buy a season ticket you tick a box that says you enter it each week.

It's only £18 added to the cost of a season ticket but would potentially add a decent amount of money to the club's budget. Most fans, including myself, would probably do so of its that easy to do.

BoomtownHibees
27-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Would love to see a new interactive scoreboard similar to what the admin described, and also to re-paint all the seats in the stadium. Something along the lines of what Sunderland did at the start of the season [emoji1360]

I hope you mean replace rather than re-paint

Haymaker
27-05-2019, 06:19 PM
Free flights to and from the game for all USA based fans.....

Seconded

hibbyfraelibby
27-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Underseat heating, carpets on the seating deck and at seat catering service please

heretoday
27-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Bring back the majorettes at half-time.

The Green Goblin
27-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Simple idea for the Happy Hibee draw is when you buy a season ticket you tick a box that says you enter it each week.

It's only £18 added to the cost of a season ticket but would potentially add a decent amount of money to the club's budget. Most fans, including myself, would probably do so of its that easy to do.

Great idea.

RoYO!
27-05-2019, 07:55 PM
1. Fill the NE corner. Safe standing and singing section.
2. Full size indoor pitch at EM.
3. SDG statue.
4. Media centre in NW corner. Filling the gap. Getting rid of the green makeshift hut.
5. Hybrid pitch/ heat lamps.

In that order please :D

SANH 1875
27-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Great idea.

yip, I would do that no problem, good idea. I'd also pick up on other post suggesting that we alter the prizes to include club shop vouchers and smaller cash prizes that could be allocated to your hibs account automatically. would need a wee bit of tech investment to randomly pick a season ticket holders reference each week and announce make of lucky winner at half time.

Nicho87
27-05-2019, 08:18 PM
A big banner/flag on the east stand, famous five end similar to the one on the famous five west stand of the trophy being held a loft. We should be reminded of that time every time we attend. People coming from other side of ground don’t get to walk past it, including me.

Billy Whizz
27-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Always wanted to buy a roof for ER if I won the lottery

Won’t happen as I don’t gamble

keith_darcy
27-05-2019, 08:30 PM
I hope you mean replace rather than re-paint

Yes replace. No idea where I got re-paint from [emoji848]

PH91
27-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Yes replace. No idea where I got re-paint from [emoji848]

Re-paint the seats!! You could be on to something!! Haha

Juniper Greens
27-05-2019, 08:38 PM
3. SDG statue.
4. Media centre in NW corner. Filling the gap. Getting rid of the green makeshift hut.

We have heat lamps...

djs69
27-05-2019, 08:42 PM
1/ what happened to the plan for a FF statue?
2/the FF stand needs a good refurb, it looking a bit tatty.....the ends of all stands good be made to look special, like the SDG at end of FF

Waxy
27-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Can we rebuild the ground like Union Berlins.

PH91
27-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Priority for me is getting the singing section out of the top corner of ff to try and inject some atmosphere back into the match. Ideally some safe standing in ff lower but would accept moving back to the east as an alternative.

If McGinn goes for 150 million and we had some serious dough to spend i would love to see the corners filled in and a large scoreboard which shows replays etc.

SquashedFrogg
27-05-2019, 08:48 PM
3. SDG statue.

Never imagined I'd ever see the day where someone would actually want a media centre. The modern football fan.

Immediately after a SDG statue as well!

Why would we want to improve the pundits conditions before our own?

keith_darcy
27-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Re-paint the seats!! You could be on to something!! Haha

I was going for replace the seats, and re-paint the railings etc but re-paint the seats is what I got. F*** it, get in some graffiti artists and let them spray paint the place [emoji1360] haha

Greenfly
27-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Can we get chips, a view of the castle and our own piazza please?

lord bunberry
27-05-2019, 10:43 PM
I’m in some way responsible for that. The ticket sellers are made up from the youth teams, they ask for volunteers every week and you get a free ticket for you and your child for the game. We get season tickets so never volunteer and there’s loads of other parents in the same boat. You will always see more people selling them at the bigger games as more parents want tickets.
I would agree with a proper supporters bar in the corner of the east and the famous five as something I’d like to see done to improve things at the stadium.

CyberSauzee
27-05-2019, 10:59 PM
As we strive to be an all inclusive environment that welcomes everyone, I think we're overlooking our avian chums.

I think we need a nice railing across at least three of the stand roofs so the seagulls can line up beside each other and pick and choose who's chips or pie to have a go at.

Austinho
28-05-2019, 05:00 AM
The runoff between the pitch and the stand looks like it’s made of mud. The whole stadium would look so much better if it was green/dark green athletic track style material. The Berlin Olympic Stadium looks excellent with the bright blue track surrounding the pitch.

Comparison:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSytyQnangaZ6nNqhNnpmKY5E_edmk D3chxZULat3Od3voUltL0

https://cdn.onebauer.media/one/media/59f1/b8c1/40e5/3001/5dd5/cd87/Easter%20Road%20Holmes.jpg?quality=80&width=960&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg

There is also a big mess of adverts behind the goals - 2 rows of billboards, and in front those awful tacky plastic sheeting either side of the goal which gets dirtier as the season goes on. Surely it would be way more attractive and of value to one big business to have their logo the whole length of the stand, than sell each small section to the like of Capital Cars who include their logo, phone number and ‘20% off if you use this code’ flashes which nobody bothers to read. Would surely generate more money for the club if one company were willing to pay not to have their advert diluted by 20 other smaller ones. And it actually makes us look pretty small time ourselves, devaluing the whole attraction of advertising there in the first place. Perhaps even replacing it all with an electronic board round 3 of the stands would be even better.

Remember Whyte and Mackay sponsored a whole stand back in the day.

Of course, playing squad comes well ahead on list of priorities.

Greenbeard
28-05-2019, 06:43 AM
If they are gonna spend on anything other than playing staff, it should be something that generates a regular income for the playing side long term.
This. Within reason, whatever might get folk into the ground earlier to spend £, or indeed to linger after, rather than spending outside nearby.

PatHead
28-05-2019, 11:55 AM
The concourses are currently getting a tidy up. Work started on them last week. Not sure if they will all be done in time for the new season but it is a start. Signage for happy hibbee will be installed in concourses to help sales and we are looking into cardless terminals being installed as all these pesky kids don't carry cash. Think there was a wee problem with them but hopefully it will be resolved.

Also looking at selling happy hibbee tickets from the shop on non matchdays.

Lots of other wee bits and pieces going on as well. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Power
28-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Some really good shouts in here, some familiar ones tae.

The club are definitely in tune to what we’re thinking (full match and club experience) - I can definitely confirm that. Some of it isn’t necessity but nice to have but it’s noted nonetheless.

Those on here that attend the Working Together meetings will ken that some of these ideas are floating about he club and there is a desire to complete the short term fixes ASAP.

The rest is definitely up for looking at but some may fall into the medium, long term plan as and when budget falls into place to allow.

There will be changes to look forward tae in our properties (ER and HTC) when we’re all back for the new season.

Smartie
28-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Can we get chips, a view of the castle and our own piazza please?

Without our own plaza we lack the facilities for lone fans to clap in solitude following brave defeats.

This situation needs rectified at the earliest possible opportunity.

itslegaltender
29-05-2019, 02:29 AM
The ******g weeds coming up all over the place in the area between East stand and pitch. The finish on the edge to the pitch is horrific and gives a ***** image to the club.

Hermit Crab
29-05-2019, 02:54 AM
3. SDG statue.

Safe standing something that has to happen to improve the overall look and atmosphere of the ground imo. Hibs should at least look into it.

California-Hibs
29-05-2019, 04:04 AM
Would love a screen between the North and East corner. Standard thing in the MLS over here and even in a lot of stadiums in the USL (league below). I often wonder how the hell they finance it because some of the wages are far lower than SPFL.
Players pictures as we're announcing the team, clips of behind the scenes training, replays of famous goals in big games pre match and half time, replays of the ongoing match goals, pan the camera to get shots of the crowd so that kids can wave and see themselves on the big screen etc.
People might think it's not a big deal but believe me it does and WOULD add a huge slice to the match day experience!

The people who say they'd rather money spent on the team - large part of the money comes from fans and attendances, having something that greatly enhances the match day experience, especially for the younger generation of fans would see an uprise in kids wanting to be there, which equals more money.

HFC93
29-05-2019, 06:46 AM
A vomitorium please.

Last Minute
29-05-2019, 07:30 AM
New PA system and the catering sorted out. these 2 have been brought up many many times and we get told the catering is getting looked into. Nothing is ever done about it as they all have their proper steak pies and not the crap we get served. its about time those 2 things were getting addressed .

Moan over.

JimBHibees
29-05-2019, 10:45 AM
The runoff between the pitch and the stand looks like it’s made of mud. The whole stadium would look so much better if it was green/dark green athletic track style material. The Berlin Olympic Stadium looks excellent with the bright blue track surrounding the pitch.

Comparison:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSytyQnangaZ6nNqhNnpmKY5E_edmk D3chxZULat3Od3voUltL0

https://cdn.onebauer.media/one/media/59f1/b8c1/40e5/3001/5dd5/cd87/Easter%20Road%20Holmes.jpg?quality=80&width=960&ratio=16-9&resizeStyle=aspectfill&format=jpg

There is also a big mess of adverts behind the goals - 2 rows of billboards, and in front those awful tacky plastic sheeting either side of the goal which gets dirtier as the season goes on. Surely it would be way more attractive and of value to one big business to have their logo the whole length of the stand, than sell each small section to the like of Capital Cars who include their logo, phone number and ‘20% off if you use this code’ flashes which nobody bothers to read. Would surely generate more money for the club if one company were willing to pay not to have their advert diluted by 20 other smaller ones. And it actually makes us look pretty small time ourselves, devaluing the whole attraction of advertising there in the first place. Perhaps even replacing it all with an electronic board round 3 of the stands would be even better.

How far is the Berlin stadium from the pitch, makes Hampden look positively compact in comparison.

green&left
29-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Safe standing something that has to happen to improve the overall look and atmosphere of the ground imo. Hibs should at least look into it.

Shrewsbury last season installed safe standing in the back few rows of one of their stands - https://www.shropshirestar.com/resizer/Mi9s1FZwb8twVOfHsprMF2Ubz7g=/600x0/filters:quality(100)/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-shropshirestar-mna.s3.amazonaws.com/public/BAKTCLIP7BFAZLALS274VEMYDY.jpg

Ajax and Utrecht also trialling it with 500 seats
https://www.johancruijffarena.nl/upload/9259ff52-732c-4b2b-b0d7-1edb69c215cd_image6697561161161828405.jpg
https://scontent-frt3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61131227_844908292539654_6150793205420916736_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.xx&oh=e93faeb05d2aac413852d2c47f6c1579&oe=5D99695C

Nothing to stop us doing the same (well except the clubs stubbornness for change)

overdrive
29-05-2019, 11:44 AM
A scoreboard that actually keeps counting the time in injury time.

.Sean.
29-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Shrewsbury last season installed safe standing in the back few rows of one of their stands - https://www.shropshirestar.com/resizer/Mi9s1FZwb8twVOfHsprMF2Ubz7g=/600x0/filters:quality(100)/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-shropshirestar-mna.s3.amazonaws.com/public/BAKTCLIP7BFAZLALS274VEMYDY.jpg

https://www.johancruijffarena.nl/upload/9259ff52-732c-4b2b-b0d7-1edb69c215cd_image6697561161161828405.jpg
https://scontent-frt3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/61131227_844908292539654_6150793205420916736_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.xx&oh=e93faeb05d2aac413852d2c47f6c1579&oe=5D99695C

Nothing to stop us doing the same (well except the clubs stubbornness for change)Why does it have to be rail seats unlike the actual terrace at Dortmund?

hibsdaft
29-05-2019, 12:22 PM
A scoreboard that actually keeps counting the time in injury time.

They're not allowed to IIRC

GreenCastle
29-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Like others have said obviously playing squad comes first but ER does need some upgrades and it's a shame more isn't done to attract fans to stadium earlier and longer / even after game.

1. Improve food quality - more healthy / variety and cost at catering stands.
2. PA system - not fit for purpose -
3. Singing section in lower FF with standing (no brainer)
4. Close in the stadium corners - doesn't have to be seating but find a way to make it more enclosed - advertising boards higher or build hospitality in corners.
5. Get rid of the tacky TV stand in corner of West / FF - clean up junk around pitch.
6. Jet wash full stadium / paint steps / replace seat numbers / fix any dodgy seats.
7. Improved scoreboard at each end or corners
8. More Hibs signage around stadium - concourses and externally. Should be some on outside of every stand and inside the stadium.
9. Name the stands and display that inside.
10. Supporters cafe / bar where fans can pay a membership and meet before and after games for food and drink. Make it a hotel or something similar to make ££ when season isn't taking place.
11. Would have a less steep gradient and add more spectators - at front of East stand - would also bring fans closer to the action.
12. Fit out the East stand to more than a shell - very bland and could do with more.

Since90+2
29-05-2019, 12:33 PM
Like others have said obviously playing squad comes first but ER does need some upgrades and it's a shame more isn't done to attract fans to stadium earlier and longer / even after game.

4. Close in the stadium corners - doesn't have to be seating but find a way to make it more enclosed - advertising boards higher or build hospitality in corners.
5. Get rid of the tacky TV stand in corner of West / FF - clean up junk around pitch.
6. Jet wash full stadium / paint steps / replace seat numbers / fix any dodgy seats.
8. More Hibs signage around stadium - concourses and externally. Should be some on outside of every stand and inside the stadium.
10. Supporters cafe / bar where fans can pay a membership and meet before and after games for food and drink. Make it a hotel or something similar to make ££ when season isn't taking place.
11. Would have a less steep gradient and add more spectators - at front of East stand - would also bring fans closer to the action.
12. Fit out the East stand to more than a shell - very bland and could do with more.

That would cost a fair few quid :greengrin

hibsdaft
29-05-2019, 12:36 PM
I agree with calls to move the singing section.
It couldn't be done without upsetting folk but I think it's in the wider benefit of the club to get them in right behind the goals in the FF. The area given to them could be given rail seating, if the singing section would contribute towards it

We've been so far ahead of Hearts in developing this side of fan/ club interaction and the burgeoning ultras movement isn't going away. Its time to push on and bring it to its logical conclusion. Build a better atmosphere and give our loudest supporters the perfect platform to support the players and intimidate the opposition. I genuinely think a hostile home end would be worth the odd point for us.

It would inevitably upset relocated fans but the wider benefit - in my view (as an East Stander not linked to the ultras) - would be worth it. Time to bite the bullet IMO.

In terms of the NE corner, I think we need to be careful with this. Important not to lose control of that land or build something which constrains us in the future. We should be looking at better uses of it though, we could maybe start by levelling it off so one-off pre match events could be tested.

GreenCastle
29-05-2019, 12:44 PM
I agree with calls to move the singing section.
It couldn't be done without upsetting folk but I think it's in the wider benefit of the club to get them in right behind the goals in the FF. The area given to them could be given rail seating, if the singing section would contribute towards it

We've been so far ahead of Hearts in developing this side of fan/ club interaction and the burgeoning ultras movement isn't going away. Its time to push on and bring it to its logical conclusion. Build a better atmosphere and give our loudest supporters the perfect platform to support the players and intimidate the opposition. I genuinely think a hostile home end would be worth the odd point for us.

It would inevitably upset relocated fans but the wider benefit - in my view (as an East Stander not linked to the ultras) - would be worth it. Time to bite the bullet IMO.

In terms of the NE corner, I think we need to be careful with this. Important not to lose control of that land or build something which constrains us in the future. We should be looking at better uses of it though, we could maybe start by levelling it off so one-off pre match events could be tested.

:agree:

Without going over old ground...

It would upset people and I understand that but if people really want the BEST for the TEAM / CLUB then improved atmosphere and making ER harder to come to win at means loudest fans right behind the FF end.

FF ST holders can move to current singing section of in West Lower or even ends of FF lower - say Ultras are middle sections.

It would get rid of the non attendees issue plus keep us ahead of others.

Scottish football needs all the help it can get regarding atmosphere and experience.

Having sat in every stand - I don't think there is a bad seat in the ground. The other option is South Lower / Upper half for Cat B and any Cat A games FF ticket holders get 1st option elsewhere - again would help stop the empty seat issue. (Yes I know these seats are paid for).

southsider
29-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Get Guinness to sponsor us & sell their beer at the pie stalls.

NAE NOOKIE
29-05-2019, 03:13 PM

As you walk up St Clair street its probably the best view of the stadium from ground level and yet there is nothing to show whose stadium it is, a Hibs badge on the side of the east stand would help. I've said it before, from Calton hill you get a magnificent view of the stadium, but once again the thousands of tourist who go up there every year have no idea what they are looking at …. a large sign on top of the west stand saying 'HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB' preferably a neon one would advertise the club to thousands of tourists some of whom might even be encouraged to pay it a visit.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2019, 03:47 PM
I've said it before, from Calton hill you get a magnificent view of the stadium, but once again the thousands of tourist who go up there every year have no idea what they are looking at …. a large sign on top of the west stand saying 'HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB' preferably a neon one would advertise the club to thousands of tourists some of whom might even be encouraged to pay it a visit.
I do have to take issue with that to a certain extent - that particular view played a large part in me becoming a Hibs fan 25(ish) years ago!

Dav1986
29-05-2019, 03:57 PM
I attended a MLS game about a year and a half ago and the whole atmosphere around the stadium was so much different. There was a DJ, penalty shootout thing for the kids, there was a part which had ps4s set up with folk playing fifa. The mascot was out and about outside the stadium too mingling with the fans.

Made it feel more of an event.

Inside the stadium, there was beer and spirits for sale (I know that can't happen here for the foreseeable), the food was good, had papa johns pizza, decent hot dogs etc for sale and little kiosks with some strips, scarfs, hats etc for sale.

All parts of the stadium allowed card payments too and there was free wifi at the stadium too (good for checking bets and scores :wink:)

All round, it made the experience a lot more enjoyable and a decent day out.

Most disappointing thing about the day was the standard of the game!

Now I wouldn't expect us to implement all of that but I think allowing card payments at the food kiosks would work, a fan zone type area between the FF and East stand, and potentially selling some club gear in the stands as the club shop can get very busy and maybe put people off going in on a match day?!

GreenCastle
29-05-2019, 04:44 PM
As you walk up St Clair street its probably the best view of the stadium from ground level and yet there is nothing to show whose stadium it is, a Hibs badge on the side of the east stand would help. I've said it before, from Calton hill you get a magnificent view of the stadium, but once again the thousands of tourist who go up there every year have no idea what they are looking at …. a large sign on top of the west stand saying 'HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB' preferably a neon one would advertise the club to thousands of tourists some of whom might even be encouraged to pay it a visit.

Exactly !! Several view points of stadium and limited signage.

madsen5
29-05-2019, 04:51 PM
How far is the Berlin stadium from the pitch, makes Hampden look positively compact in comparison.

It's a good distance that's why Hertha are
Looking to build a new stadium close to the olympiastadion.

NYHibby
29-05-2019, 04:56 PM
a large sign on top of the west stand saying 'HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB' preferably a neon one would advertise the club to thousands of tourists some of whom might even be encouraged to pay it a visit.

How large and bright would the neon sign need to be in order to be legible from Calton hill? It would probably be the largest neon sign in Scotland. Does anyone think the council would grant us planning permission for that?

Lancs Harp
29-05-2019, 04:59 PM
How large and bright would the neon sign need to be in order to be legible from Calton hill? It would probably be the largest neon sign in Scotland. Does anyone think the council would grant us planning permission for that?

We run this City :wink:

The Green Goblin
29-05-2019, 05:44 PM
The concourses are currently getting a tidy up. Work started on them last week. Not sure if they will all be done in time for the new season but it is a start. Signage for happy hibbee will be installed in concourses to help sales and we are looking into cardless terminals being installed as all these pesky kids don't carry cash. Think there was a wee problem with them but hopefully it will be resolved.

Also looking at selling happy hibbee tickets from the shop on non matchdays.

Lots of other wee bits and pieces going on as well. Hopefully it will make a difference.

That sounds good! If you have a minute, pls could you see my previous posts on the thread about varying prizes etc. for the happy hibee? Plus I liked someone else’s idea of being able to buy one for each game when you get your ST. Cheers

southsider
29-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Exactly !! Several view points of stadium and limited signage.

Stadium tour then bus up to the best vantage point on Athur’s Seat to view the stadium and take pics. Bus back down which ends at club shop. Tour leaves Waverley Bridge at 10am & 2pm every day during the festival.whatcha think ?

hibbyfraelibby
29-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Comparison:

Theres a bigger area behind those goals than there is pitch a Tincastle

Smartie
29-05-2019, 07:34 PM
I know the point of this thread is to suggest improvements but the view of the North Stand with the big "persevered" banner as you approach from Albion Road is a thing of beauty.

Or home should be smothered with this sort of stuff.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2019, 07:42 PM
I know the point of this thread is to suggest improvements but the view of the North Stand with the big "persevered" banner as you approach from Albion Road is a thing of beauty.

Or home should be smothered with this sort of stuff.
The walk from Albion Road where all the fans spill in to the road is probably a particular favourite aspect of mine - a real throwback when compared to the out of town grounds - when visiting ER but that image just completes it. I frequently have non-Hibs fans with me at games and they all mention enjoying that approach to the ground.

PatHead
29-05-2019, 07:45 PM
That sounds good! If you have a minute, pls could you see my previous posts on the thread about varying prizes etc. for the happy hibee? Plus I liked someone else’s idea of being able to buy one for each game when you get your ST. Cheers

There is a problem with dd's. It currently makes it not possible to set up a dd with Hibs for happy hibbee draw. The season tickets dd is with the loan company so can't be added to.

Noted your suggestion re prizes, we had talked about varying them.

LancashireHibby
29-05-2019, 07:55 PM
There is a problem with dd's. It currently makes it not possible to set up a dd with Hibs for happy hibbee draw. The season tickets dd is with the loan company so can't be added to.

Whoever administers the draw could set it up as a separate direct debit scheme using a company like GoCardless. There is a small fee for the cost of it but this can be passed on to the customer if necessary. Alternatively, for the sake of 20 odd quid, maybe it could be possible to set up a way of buying an annual subscription online, either via the ticket office or PayPal etc? I don’t get to attend many games but always buy a HH ticket when I go - it would be great to be able to still buy a ticket when not being able to attend.

JimBHibees
30-05-2019, 06:42 AM
They're not allowed to IIRC

Yep don't want the fans knowing how many more minutes Rangers get to score than the minutes announced before the final whistle. :greengrin

Chorley Hibee
30-05-2019, 07:06 AM
I attended a MLS game about a year and a half ago and the whole atmosphere around the stadium was so much different. There was a DJ, penalty shootout thing for the kids, there was a part which had ps4s set up with folk playing fifa. The mascot was out and about outside the stadium too mingling with the fans.

Made it feel more of an event.

Inside the stadium, there was beer and spirits for sale (I know that can't happen here for the foreseeable), the food was good, had papa johns pizza, decent hot dogs etc for sale and little kiosks with some strips, scarfs, hats etc for sale.

All parts of the stadium allowed card payments too and there was free wifi at the stadium too (good for checking bets and scores :wink:)

All round, it made the experience a lot more enjoyable and a decent day out.

Most disappointing thing about the day was the standard of the game!

Now I wouldn't expect us to implement all of that but I think allowing card payments at the food kiosks would work, a fan zone type area between the FF and East stand, and potentially selling some club gear in the stands as the club shop can get very busy and maybe put people off going in on a match day?!

This is my experience of German football too.

It's concerning to me as I think Scottish football is light years behind in terms of trying to sell each game as an event, and I believe clubs are lazy and taking advantage of the blind loyalty of most of their fans.

Like it or not, the demographics of the football fan are changing, and it's essential we move with the times or we'll reap the results of our inaction on the subject.

Hermit Crab
30-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Nothing to stop us doing the same (well except the clubs stubbornness for change)

Thats quality, we should definitely look at something similar. :agree:

green&left
30-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Why does it have to be rail seats unlike the actual terrace at Dortmund?

Only the front half of Dortmund's "Yellow wall" is terracing - the back half is rail seats.

I'd imagine costs will be the biggest factor. For Uefa/Fifa games standing sections are forbidden so you'd need a system that can convert from terracing to seats. Alot German clubs will have this but their grounds will be newer and most standing sections will be planned and purpose built. Then there's the gradient of the stand that would need altered, more access for fire exits, stairs, toilets, concourses etc if the capacity was to be increased. Terracing would be good but rail seats are a good compromise IMO.

NAE NOOKIE
30-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Probably not as big as you think …. As for planning permission, I cant think who such a sign would impact on, there's no residential property behind the west where the sign would be visible from or whose light it would interfere with … so the only argument against it would be an aesthetic one.

hughio
30-05-2019, 11:32 AM

This

Cant hear a thing in Upper West.

(Half-decent food too obviously...but I've given up hoping for this and spend my money in Greggs when I'd much rather give it to HFC)

The Green Goblin
30-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Cheers PH.

The Green Goblin
30-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Whoever administers the draw could set it up as a separate direct debit scheme using a company like GoCardless. There is a small fee for the cost of it but this can be passed on to the customer if necessary. Alternatively, for the sake of 20 odd quid, maybe it could be possible to set up a way of buying an annual subscription online, either via the ticket office or PayPal etc? I don’t get to attend many games but always buy a HH ticket when I go - it would be great to be able to still buy a ticket when not being able to attend.

Agreed.

Hibernia&Alba
30-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Very much agree that a few minor changes would make a big difference in relation to catering, P.A. system, scoreboard. Not difficult stuff.

YanYansen
30-05-2019, 12:34 PM
The walk from Albion Road where all the fans spill in to the road is probably a particular favourite aspect of mine - a real throwback when compared to the out of town grounds - when visiting ER but that image just completes it. I frequently have non-Hibs fans with me at games and they all mention enjoying that approach to the ground.

I took three American lassies to the New Year derby a few years back (the one where James Collins scored, and Liam Craig won it with a pen, IIRC), and they thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, from Robbie's pre-match, to the atmosphere in the ground. But they all noticed exactly the above with real pleasure - they are used to American stadia which are usually surrounded with acres of car parking. As we walked from Robbie's, we turned off from Easter Road onto Albion Road, at which point they asked me was it much further? Obviously, I said no, we're about 200 yards away, at which they were first mystified. But they all expressed a sense of awe and surprise when we turned down the bit flanked by tenements on one side, and the church on the other to see the FF stand looming at the end of the street there. That it was by then dark and the ground lit up only added to the effect.

I felt rather proud, I must say. As a related aside, it's why I'm glad that, for instance, Spurs stayed on their original site, but I lamented Man City's move away from Maine Road, which was enclosed by a warren of terraced streets. That sense of locality that's "baked into" an area is an important facet of British fitba, imo.

Keith_M
30-05-2019, 12:51 PM
Only the front half of Dortmund's "Yellow wall" is terracing - the back half is rail seats.

I'd imagine costs will be the biggest factor. For Uefa/Fifa games standing sections are forbidden so you'd need a system that can convert from terracing to seats. Alot German clubs will have this but their grounds will be newer and most standing sections will be planned and purpose built. Then there's the gradient of the stand that would need altered, more access for fire exits, stairs, toilets, concourses etc if the capacity was to be increased. Terracing would be good but rail seats are a good compromise IMO.

The thing is, those clubs play in Europe on a regular basis but we pretty much average one appearance every two years.

We also haven't had a crowd approaching 20,000 for a European game for about 40 years.

Theoretically, if we converted part of the stadium (e.g. FF Lower) into standard terracing, we could just play most European games with that section closed and easily house the fans in the remaining 18,000 seats. I realise that wouldn't look great on TV, but that really is the only downside.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2019, 01:08 PM

That'll do me. 👍

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2019, 01:13 PM
I took three American lassies to the New Year derby a few years back (the one where James Collins scored, and Liam Craig won it with a pen, IIRC), and they thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, from Robbie's pre-match, to the atmosphere in the ground. But they all noticed exactly the above with real pleasure - they are used to American stadia which are usually surrounded with acres of car parking. As we walked from Robbie's, we turned off from Easter Road onto Albion Road, at which point they asked me was it much further? Obviously, I said no, we're about 200 yards away, at which they were first mystified. But they all expressed a sense of awe and surprise when we turned down the bit flanked by tenements on one side, and the church on the other to see the FF stand looming at the end of the street there. That it was by then dark and the ground lit up only added to the effect.

I felt rather proud, I must say. As a related aside, it's why I'm glad that, for instance, Spurs stayed on their original site, but I lamented Man City's move away from Maine Road, which was enclosed by a warren of terraced streets. That sense of locality that's "baked into" an area is an important facet of British fitba, imo.

I agree, there's no comparison between approaching The Olympic Stadium compared to Upton Park and the short walk down Green Street.

Not In The Know
30-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Comparison:

i Second this it would like smart a nice dark green all the way round.....or even purple!

judas
30-05-2019, 05:21 PM
1. Top Class AV set up (not just a daft PA System). Saw this at Watford and it helped to create a rousing atmosphere.
2. Structure in 2 corners either side of East stand would vastly increase atmosphere and generate income (nod to the Boavista look)
3. General renovation to dilapidated sections of stadium.

NYHibby
30-05-2019, 06:29 PM
I took three American lassies to the New Year derby a few years back (the one where James Collins scored, and Liam Craig won it with a pen, IIRC), But they all noticed exactly the above with real pleasure - they are used to American stadia which are usually surrounded with acres of car parking. As we walked from Robbie's, we turned off from Easter Road onto Albion Road, at which point they asked me was it much further? Obviously, I said no, we're about 200 yards away, at which they were first mystified. But they all expressed a sense of awe and surprise when we turned down the bit flanked by tenements on one side, and the church on the other to see the FF stand looming at the end of the street there. That it was by then dark and the ground lit up only added to the effect.

I don't view the fact that our stadium appeared to them as being hidden is a positive. Seeing the stadium grow larger as you walk towards it and then starting to hear a buzz as you approach builds excitement much more than popping around a corner and being surprised that you were next to the stadium without realising it. Modern stadium design in the US specifically considers the approach to the stadium in order to add to the experience.

The trend in the US has been to build stadiums "downtown" since at least from when Camden Yards opened in 1992. The exterior of the stadiums are build to be seen as part of the cityscape and to be an interesting addition to it. Speaking as an American, I'm not sure why they would be surprised by a stadium in the middle of an urban area. The out of town cookie cutters were only a phase in the 60s and 70s.

Renfrew_Hibby
30-05-2019, 08:44 PM
1. Top Class AV set up (not just a daft PA System). Saw this at Watford and it helped to create a rousing atmosphere.
2. Structure in 2 corners either side of East stand would vastly increase atmosphere and generate income (nod to the Boavista look)
3. General renovation to dilapidated sections of stadium.

I have been really impressed with how Watford have altered their stadium to radically improve atmosphere and the match day experience for fans.

Hibs should send a working party down there to get the full brief and see how it should be done.

Viccarge Road was a fairly bog standard ground with large spaces between the stands and noise was lost easily.

They only built one new stand and corner section, a very basic build as well, much like our East. After the new stand opened they decided it was too far from the pitch so they slightly altered the first few rows which allowed them to add 4 or 5 extra rows bringing it up tight to the sideline.

They clevery boxed in the 3 other corners, very cheaply but very effectively and using black to create the illusion of making the space seem even smaller than it actually is.

Only in one corner did they build a state of the art media centre with studios and police facilities.
They ripped out the PA system and replaced it with AV and added new floodlighting to complete the renovation.

These fairly straightforward alterations have transformed the ground on a matchday and now Viccarge Road, which only a capacity 2 or 3,000 more than us is widely regarded as one of the best grounds for atmosphere now and it has really helped the team kick on over the last couple of seasons.

NGH
30-05-2019, 10:23 PM
Absolutely right. The system in the main stand would be just as informative if it were turned off completely.

MagicSwirlingShip
30-05-2019, 10:29 PM
There would be a complete backlash if Hibs kitted our Easter Rd with top of the range PA / AV. These systems cost millions.

neil7908
30-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Catering is abysmal. Not asking for prawn sandwiches but better quality and cheaper food has to be a must.

basehibby
31-05-2019, 12:09 AM
Decent PA system

Singing section in an area where they'll help with the atmosphere, maybe massage standing in one the corner between Famous 5 and East stand.

Decent priced food

Fan club somewhere in the ground, BTG is crap.

I agree about the singing section - but shirley you could just nip across the road to Scorpios for the massage

basehibby
31-05-2019, 12:19 AM
A flume from the top of the East to the Perservere.
I seem to spend half my Saturday getting out of the East Stand.
Failing that sort out the PA.

This please :thumbsup:

Austinho
31-05-2019, 12:46 AM
I have been really impressed with how Watford have altered their stadium to radically improve atmosphere and the match day experience for fans.

Hibs should send a working party down there to get the full brief and see how it should be done.

Viccarge Road was a fairly bog standard ground with large spaces between the stands and noise was lost easily.

They only built one new stand and corner section, a very basic build as well, much like our East. After the new stand opened they decided it was too far from the pitch so they slightly altered the first few rows which allowed them to add 4 or 5 extra rows bringing it up tight to the sideline.

They clevery boxed in the 3 other corners, very cheaply but very effectively and using black to create the illusion of making the space seem even smaller than it actually is.

Only in one corner did they build a state of the art media centre with studios and police facilities.
They ripped out the PA system and replaced it with AV and added new floodlighting to complete the renovation.

These fairly straightforward alterations have transformed the ground on a matchday and now Viccarge Road, which only a capacity 2 or 3,000 more than us is widely regarded as one of the best grounds for atmosphere now and it has really helped the team kick on over the last couple of seasons.Good post - it’s looks very enclosed and imposing, a good place to watch football. Easter Road has always been a bit too light and airy to me. Filling the gaps with something, anything doesn’t have to be a costly undertaking.

basehibby
31-05-2019, 12:51 AM
In all seriousness - the club needs to cooperate with the fans to help generate more atmosphere in the ground - I like the idea of a standing/singing section behind the goals in the FF (some fans seem to get off on the flares and stuff so maybe allow some sort of controlled stuff there too?). Kids section - lower NW Stand so they can still get their autographs off the players at HT - and/or upper FF so they can watch on in envy at the singers/ultras/whatever giving it laldy.

With the advent of all seater grounds the rowdy atmosphere that most of us love about football sometimes feels like it's dying away. I'd like to see that turned around - the idea of sticking the singing section in a wee corner out the way is ridiculous and has the opposite effect - needs to be rectified.

Austinho
31-05-2019, 02:04 AM
I'm not sure how much cladding costs, but don't think it would take massive amounts to significantly improve the stadium just by filling in the corners with it, and hiding some of the tired looking areas of the ground. Would also mean it could be taken down and filled with seating if ever the need for it.

https://i.imgur.com/is5tdvZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/meMrByx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6sYB5pp.png

.Sean.
31-05-2019, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure how much cladding costs, but don't think it would take massive amounts to significantly improve the stadium just by filling in the corners with it, and hiding some of the tired looking areas of the ground. Would also mean it could be taken down and filled with seating if ever the need for it.

That’s smart as

PaulSmith
31-05-2019, 06:58 AM
That’s smart as

It is indeed and I’d love to see Hibs pursuing this.

Peevemor
31-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Replacing the translucent cladding with metal and filling the gaps between the stands will block the sunlight and screw up the pitch.

.Sean.
31-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Replacing the translucent cladding with metal and filling the gaps between the stands will block the sunlight and screw up the pitch.
How does every other team in the world with an enclosed stadium manage?

Billy Whizz
31-05-2019, 09:07 AM

Heat lamps I presume

Renfrew_Hibby
31-05-2019, 09:08 AM

It hasn't screwed up Watfords pitch, its like a bowling green.

Hermit Crab
31-05-2019, 09:13 AM
It hasn't screwed up Watfords pitch, its like a bowling green.

Watford have Elton John who is a huge fan and has a fortune of around £320 million. I'd expect their pitch to be like a bowling green!

NAE NOOKIE
31-05-2019, 01:07 PM

I highly doubt it, its Easter Road not bloomin' Old Trafford .... besides that I doubt the amount of sunlight afforded to the pitch through the current gaps could be considered significant. The mock ups above are quality and would give ER a far more enclosed feel with an improved atmosphere to match … Its high time we did something.

Having said that. Rather than huge dark cladding we could just as easily fill the whole thing in with a Perspex framework which would allow light in while at the same time still giving the stadium the enclosed feel we are looking for. The Aviva stadium in Dublin has taken that to the N'th degree, but it works really well from what I can see.

tamig
31-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Not read through all six pages but when the hell is the dent in that canopy above the the FF entrance ever going to get fixed? Its been like that for years now and I keep expecting it to be sorted but every close season comes and goes and the shabby battered piece of cheap metal lives to fight another day.

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2019, 07:37 PM
No happening under the current regime but here goes:

Standing/Swing Seat and Singing Section FF Lower

Decent PA System

Decent catering with a wide and varied choice

Not too much to ask for it is almost 2020 after all

WhileTheChief..
31-05-2019, 09:30 PM
I’m surprised that so many folk are commenting on the catering.

I’d get it if it was hospitality you’re talking about but it’s basically a pie n bovril. Nowt wrong with that.

Adding more variety means longer queues as folk dither over what to have, more waste and probably more bloody seagulls chasing the leftovers! If anything I’d offer less choice, a couple of different pies and a hot or cold drink.

It should be quick with simple pricing. Pie and drink £3 or something, with contactless payment available.

And a huge flipping sign saying to have your money ready when you go to pay! You’ve been waiting long enough to have your wallet or purse open and the cash in your hand!

pacorosssco
31-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Paint the stadium get fans to do. Get rid all grey. Get some original art about the place.

Alex Trager
31-05-2019, 09:56 PM
I’m surprised that so many folk are commenting on the catering.

I’d get it if it was hospitality you’re talking about but it’s basically a pie n bovril. Nowt wrong with that.

Adding more variety means longer queues as folk dither over what to have, more waste and probably more bloody seagulls chasing the leftovers! If anything I’d offer less choice, a couple of different pies and a hot or cold drink.

It should be quick with simple pricing. Pie and drink £3 or something, with contactless payment available.

And a huge flipping sign saying to have your money ready when you go to pay! You’ve been waiting long enough to have your wallet or purse open and the cash in your hand!

Disagree with this.

Because there is more choice does not mean there will be more waste.

Better quality food would arguably reduce waste.

Why would anyone dither because the choice is greater?
Folk make their minds up in the queue like they would should the choice be more.

GreenCastle
31-05-2019, 10:12 PM

These fairly straightforward alterations have transformed the ground on a matchday and now Viccarge Road, which only a capacity 2 or 3,000 more than us is widely regarded as one of the best grounds for atmosphere now and it has really helped the team kick on over the last couple of seasons.

Excellent post.

Thanks for sharing and more should be made of this to alert Hibs - if someone is actually doing there job.

GreenCastle
31-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Love this.

Been saying for ages just simply adding some cladding / Perspex/ larger advertising in corners would enclose the stadium.

They should look at ways of bringing the east closer to the pitch by a shallower gradient of rows at the front. But with the recent pitch invasions can’t see them doing this.

Juniper Greens
31-05-2019, 11:45 PM
Aston villa link season tickets to your bank card.
Programs and catering are then paid for using this, which reduces queues massively as no need for cash or change. (For season ticket holders at least)

I think this achievable, won't cost much and will improve things a lot.
I want more but this seems an easy first step

kaimendhibs
01-06-2019, 01:55 AM
The catering is awful. Have seen better at Alloa and Whitehill Welfare. Total amatuer hour

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2019, 06:19 AM
The catering is awful. Have seen better at Alloa and Whitehill Welfare. Total amatuer hour

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

:aok:

My point exactly

So much so that I buy my food outside the ground but would love to give HIBS my money

Never known a business that turns business away so much

Turning away genuine tourists because they are not on our database is another opportunity lost in a festival city :confused:

Carheenlea
01-06-2019, 06:56 AM

With great expense in pitch maintenance. Enclosed stadiums do look better though. Easter Road always looks magnificent with a big crowd at night, and it’s the darkness in the corners that maybe adds to that.

jakedance
01-06-2019, 07:30 AM
The mock up above would be great. Filling in the corners, even on a temporary basis, should have been part of the plan when the East was built.

I think the corner between FF and East stand should look like the away area at Ibrox with a standing area and screen above.

Austinho
02-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Love this.

Been saying for ages just simply adding some cladding / Perspex/ larger advertising in corners would enclose the stadium.

They should look at ways of bringing the east closer to the pitch by a shallower gradient of rows at the front. But with the recent pitch invasions can’t see them doing this.Think it’s actually behind the goals that are furthest away from the pitch, happened when the front rows were knocked out to level the slope.

tamig
02-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Think it’s actually behind the goals that are furthest away from the pitch, happened when the front rows were knocked out to level the slope.

Nothing was knocked out. The stands were designed with pitch levelling in mind. Before the pitch was levelled the front few rows in the South were below pitch level with the opposite being the case in the FF. A job done right unlike some other clubs efforts.

Antifa Hibs
03-06-2019, 08:42 AM

Quite a simplistic way off looking at it. Majority of the money should be on the team but as times move on infrastructure projects will have to continue aswell. What was good enough in the early 90's for the North and South stands may not be good enough 30 years on. Same with the West stand almost 20 years on, East Mains will need some cash spent on it too i guess with advancements of sport science.

We have a small active supporter culture here and we should be pushing it. In Scotland the only club that has encouraged this is Celtic. Every club should be trying to accommodate and push this on so safe standing is a must.

The stadium is starting to look a bit rough round the edges and needs a power wash and lick of paint. We rip the pish out of Hertz and Motherwell for their away stands, doesn't take much neglect for ours to start looking the same way.

A supporters bar is also a must IMO. Wether it's in the FF, a new unit in the corner or if its possible, a new bar located above the concourse in the East one should be built. Drinking habits and demographics change, so should the facilities on offer at ER to go with it. People aren't drinking in pubs as much, people may feel intimated by the busy-ness of pubs around Leith, others might want food or simply want the profits to go to Hibs and have a 2 minute walk to their seat. Behind the goals failed cos it was utter pish. You could have the Manchester derby on at 12.30 but they wouldn't open until 1. The screens were gash. The room itself wasn't inviting and looked like a hotel conference suite with a few Hibs pictures thrown up. The lager was flat and the plastic tumblers a joke. This is even if you're lucky to get in because out of your group of 6 one wasn't a season ticket holder. A purpose built sports bar promoting football on TV before/after our match, a decent affordable food offering and decent drink selection with glass and somewhere generally more welcoming can't really fail IMO. If Killie can offer this surely we can! Quite like Bristol's effort too https://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/the-venue/sports-bar-pizzeria/

Hibs and SFA/SPFL could so alot worse than send a delegate over to the States and Germany to see how they do their sports and fitba.

Marvellous
03-06-2019, 08:50 AM

I reckon that looks shocking, prefer it the way it is.

Greenbeard
03-06-2019, 09:01 AM
With great expense in pitch maintenance. Enclosed stadiums do look better though. Easter Road always looks magnificent with a big crowd at night, and it’s the darkness in the corners that maybe adds to that.
Agree, it looks good but pitch maintenance budget would increase significantly. Would be interested to see an analysis of pitch maintenance costs and pitch resurfacing frequency in enclosed stadia compared to those with open corners. Reduced natural light is a factor but I understand it is more about ventilation. As we all know, warm, damp, unventilated conditions can lead to fungal growth.

Hermit Crab
03-06-2019, 09:12 AM
I reckon that looks shocking, prefer it the way it is.

Agree, thats howling.:agree:

HappyAsHellas
03-06-2019, 09:46 AM
As has been stated before we really ought to be taking a good look at the German set up. Obviously we can't compete on a financial level but that doesn't mean we can't take some of their ideas and scale them down. The area behind the East could be utilised for food and drink vendors, maybe even have the scarf sellers in there as well. Not sure how well it would work on a wet, windy and cold February afternoon right enough, but has to be worth a try. Sub let the different catering stalls to local bakeries on a rotational basis and you'd soon find out who is wanted by the fans - "brilliant pies in the West last week". Most importantly find out about the atmosphere at the games - Germany again blows anything in Britain out of the water on this subject. By all means send a delegation from the club to find out how to properly address the expectations of both fans and clubs rather than the us v them attitudes that seem to prevail here.
Free transport to the games for all is one of the big factors in Germany and although it seems impossible for a country of our size I'm sure something could be done. How many more fans would attend games with free transportation? Primarily it is obviously away fans but this serves to bring more revenue to all clubs and so should be on the agenda. Lots more we should be doing to advertise the good points of the game in Scotland and encouraging more youngsters to come along - if we can make it an enjoyable day out.

CockneyRebel
03-06-2019, 09:51 AM
As has been stated before we really ought to be taking a good look at the German set up. Obviously we can't compete on a financial level but that doesn't mean we can't take some of their ideas and scale them down. The area behind the East could be utilised for food and drink vendors, maybe even have the scarf sellers in there as well. Not sure how well it would work on a wet, windy and cold February afternoon right enough, but has to be worth a try. Sub let the different catering stalls to local bakeries on a rotational basis and you'd soon find out who is wanted by the fans - "brilliant pies in the West last week". Most importantly find out about the atmosphere at the games - Germany again blows anything in Britain out of the water on this subject. By all means send a delegation from the club to find out how to properly address the expectations of both fans and clubs rather than the us v them attitudes that seem to prevail here.
Free transport to the games for all is one of the big factors in Germany and although it seems impossible for a country of our size I'm sure something could be done. How many more fans would attend games with free transportation? Primarily it is obviously away fans but this serves to bring more revenue to all clubs and so should be on the agenda. Lots more we should be doing to advertise the good points of the game in Scotland and encouraging more youngsters to come along - if we can make it an enjoyable day out.

ICT have been doing this for a number of years, just from the town centre.

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Quite a simplistic way off looking at it. Majority of the money should be on the team but as times move on infrastructure projects will have to continue aswell. What was good enough in the early 90's for the North and South stands may not be good enough 30 years on. Same with the West stand almost 20 years on, East Mains will need some cash spent on it too i guess with advancements of sport science.

We have a small active supporter culture here and we should be pushing it. In Scotland the only club that has encouraged this is Celtic. Every club should be trying to accommodate and push this on so safe standing is a must.

The stadium is starting to look a bit rough round the edges and needs a power wash and lick of paint. We rip the pish out of Hertz and Motherwell for their away stands, doesn't take much neglect for ours to start looking the same way.

A supporters bar is also a must IMO. Wether it's in the FF, a new unit in the corner or if its possible, a new bar located above the concourse in the East one should be built. Drinking habits and demographics change, so should the facilities on offer at ER to go with it. People aren't drinking in pubs as much, people may feel intimated by the busy-ness of pubs around Leith, others might want food or simply want the profits to go to Hibs and have a 2 minute walk to their seat. Behind the goals failed cos it was utter pish. You could have the Manchester derby on at 12.30 but they wouldn't open until 1. The screens were gash. The room itself wasn't inviting and looked like a hotel conference suite with a few Hibs pictures thrown up. The lager was flat and the plastic tumblers a joke. This is even if you're lucky to get in because out of your group of 6 one wasn't a season ticket holder. A purpose built sports bar promoting football on TV before/after our match, a decent affordable food offering and decent drink selection with glass and somewhere generally more welcoming can't really fail IMO. If Killie can offer this surely we can! Quite like Bristol's effort too https://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/the-venue/sports-bar-pizzeria/

Hibs and SFA/SPFL could so alot worse than send a delegate over to the States and Germany to see how they do their sports and fitba.

Excellent post.

Never mind Germany, the USA is definitely where we should be looking for inspiration. Not just in the areas of catering but definitely in fan engagement and how the clubs far from looking on 'ultras' culture as a necessary evil to be tolerated actively encourage it. No club building a new stadium would do so without including a safe standing area and smoke bombs and the like are commonplace …. funny how they aren't seen as a problem in the land of the lawsuit :greengrin

Fans in the US started off looking to copy from European fans culture and especially the UK …. But they soon realised that the truth is our game has become a sanitised poor imitation of what they thought it was and turned their attention to South America for inspiration … the upshot of that is that fans of clubs like Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders, LA FC, Toronto FC and a number of others in MLS have turned their match days into noisy colourful occasions that make your average British match, including ours, look and feel like a day out at the local library.

Sure the sceptics are going to say its a passing fad for some and that its all rather convoluted and artificial, especially considering the age of some of the clubs, LA FC are a year old. But that snobbery IMO is one of the reasons we are being left behind … the pupils are kicking the masters arse.

I'm sure a lot of fans, especially of clubs like us, sometimes muse over what it would have been like to have been born a Barcelona fan or a Liverpool fan or a Borussia Dortmund fan with their huge crowds and big time atmosphere …. I never thought I would see the day that I would be looking enviously at some of the clubs in the US and wishing my club could match the experience of watching their games.

Its high time we upped our game and that especially applies to the governing bodies and individual clubs who have become so obsessed with making the game 'safe' and a pleasant day out with the family they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. The Germans appear to have reached the perfect compromise making stadiums comfortable and great places to go to without compromising the atmosphere … is it too much to ask that we could do the same.

judas
03-06-2019, 06:43 PM

100%

I said exactly the same thing to my mate about sending down a working party.

judas
03-06-2019, 06:49 PM

That looks awesome and definitely the way forward.

LancashireHibby
03-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Excellent post.

Never mind Germany, the USA is definitely where we should be looking for inspiration. Not just in the areas of catering but definitely in fan engagement and how the clubs far from looking on 'ultras' culture as a necessary evil to be tolerated actively encourage it. No club building a new stadium would do so without including a safe standing area and smoke bombs and the like are commonplace …. funny how they aren't seen as a problem in the land of the lawsuit :greengrin

Fans in the US started off looking to copy from European fans culture and especially the UK …. But they soon realised that the truth is our game has become a sanitised poor imitation of what they thought it was and turned their attention to South America for inspiration … the upshot of that is that fans of clubs like Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders, LA FC, Toronto FC and a number of others in MLS have turned their match days into noisy colourful occasions that make your average British match, including ours, look and feel like a day out at the local library.

Sure the sceptics are going to say its a passing fad for some and that its all rather convoluted and artificial, especially considering the age of some of the clubs, LA FC are a year old. But that snobbery IMO is one of the reasons we are being left behind … the pupils are kicking the masters arse.

I'm sure a lot of fans, especially of clubs like us, sometimes muse over what it would have been like to have been born a Barcelona fan or a Liverpool fan or a Borussia Dortmund fan with their huge crowds and big time atmosphere …. I never thought I would see the day that I would be looking enviously at some of the clubs in the US and wishing my club could match the experience of watching their games.

Its high time we upped our game and that especially applies to the governing bodies and individual clubs who have become so obsessed with making the game 'safe' and a pleasant day out with the family they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. The Germans appear to have reached the perfect compromise making stadiums comfortable and great places to go to without compromising the atmosphere … is it too much to ask that we could do the same.

I went to watch Toronto v New York Red Bulls last season. I’ll be honest, the atmosphere was utter mince. And even the match day experience, catering etc was nowhere near as good as the previous couple of nights at Toronto Blue Jays baseball or Toronto Wolfpack rugby league.

Spaniel
03-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Remove the green paint that is on the stand outside as it looks a mess.

Spaniel
03-06-2019, 08:58 PM
Remove the green paint that is on the stand outside as it looks a mess.

BigT-Hibeez
03-06-2019, 09:00 PM
So will we spend 50 grand or something like that on a sound system instead of a players wages ...is a PA system really that important in the scheme of things ?

£50k?? Be 10 x that

Alex Trager
03-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Excellent post.

Haha if you think our game is sanitised you should go and sit in one of these stadiums in the US with designated areas for smoke bombs etc.

Our game is real.

No amount of smoke bombs will change the fact that they simply do not feel what we feel over here. Our game is ingrained in us. It’s pure passion. Not pretend passion.

That’s not to say that I don’t think the club could take a leaf out of their book and improve in many areas. I just disagree that their games are not sterile in comparison to ours.

Smartie
03-06-2019, 09:23 PM
I quite liked it when I went to see Houston Dynamo.

There were lots of hispanic fans and you wouldn't be in a rush to question their passion for the game.

The ground was smart, and whilst the atmosphere was a little bit contrived, there's only so much you can do to get folk excited about watching Andrew Driver.

I've always enjoyed going to see football in different places, and I think we should cut the Americans a bit of slack. Their league is only a few years old and they've done brilliantly to get it to where it is in a short space of time.

Wherever I go though, it can never be the same as what we get from our club. The "match day experience" for me was always better when it was a bit less polished than it is now, Hibs and Easter Road just don't fit as well into my awareness as a family-friendly 21st century club. I wouldn't urge Hibs to go back the way (exactly the opposite as I may well watch games there in future with my daughter) but the place just ain't quite the same since it lost it's radgeness, and I don't think it is something it is going to get back. When I watch football I want it to be stood on a bucket seat, the air thick with cannabis smoke and bad language, the view partially obscured by pillars, TV gantry and walkway, and nutters.

NAE NOOKIE
03-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Haha if you think our game is sanitised you should go and sit in one of these stadiums in the US with designated areas for smoke bombs etc.

Our game is real.

No amount of smoke bombs will change the fact that they simply do not feel what we feel over here. Our game is ingrained in us. It’s pure passion. Not pretend passion.

That’s not to say that I don’t think the club could take a leaf out of their book and improve in many areas. I just disagree that their games are not sterile in comparison to ours.

Wow!

The difference between the American's and Europeans is that in the beginning there was no fan culture to set an example for us to follow, so it took decades for it to become 'a thing'

Unlike us the American fans did have examples to show them how fan culture and loyalty to a team works and from what I can surmise that was the hook for many of them, because in their eyes it makes 'soccer' fans different from followers of other American professional sports. To a large extent it seems to me that the fan culture of football is as big an attraction for them as the game itself and ironically considering your opinion here it was the raw passion and disdain for the corporate culture you see in the other major American sports which they saw as an open door to be different.

When you look at the work time and effort followers of some of the MLS teams put into supporting their clubs what an arrogance it is to accuse their passion for their clubs of being pretend, especially when in many cases these folk have been supporting their clubs for over 20 years. Its the sporting equivalent of upper class twits with titles but no money sneering at the nuevo riche.

I wouldn't disagree for a second that the real measure of any fan is their ability to stick with their club through season after season of dross and that the lack of relegation in the MLS means Americans are denied that real test of any fan base. That isn't their fault because their is no culture of that in American sport and under the franchise system which MLS operates its unlikely to ever happen and that's a shame because seeing your team battling relegation or worse being relegated is in some ways just as important for the fan experience as winning stuff is. Unfortunately even if the fans would support introducing that side of the game the MLS the team owners brought up in that corporate system and who are in it in the main for the money almost certainly wouldn't.

But whatever the case I would like to think Hibs fans would have more class than to look down our nose at fans of any other club or league just because we have been around longer than they have.

GreenOnions
07-06-2019, 10:46 AM
I'd like to see the size of the "executive" area in the West Stand Upper reduced. For the vast majority of games it is not full and it offers a fantastic view of the pitch. Season ticket holders are packed round its perimeter and many, like me, might think it's ridiculous that some of the best seats in the stadium are left empty most weeks.

Come on Hibs - give your core support more seats in this area of the stadium!

GreenCastle
07-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Hearing the FF lower is getting some murals inside the concourse?

Would be good if the club could give an update of what is planned or maybe keeping it a surprise?

Anyway - the Famous Five lower really needs to look at the quality of it's seats - many loose and rusty / worn.

Renfrew_Hibby
07-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Hearing the FF lower is getting some murals inside the concourse?

Would be good if the club could give an update of what is planned or maybe keeping it a surprise?

Anyway - the Famous Five lower really needs to look at the quality of it's seats - many loose and rusty / worn.

25 year old outdated seating with rusting/loose fittings and colour fading badly.

The quickest and cheapest way to instantly improve the appearance of our stadium would be to fit new modern seats.

It wouldn't be that cheap but compared to rebuilding, its a no brainer. Just look at the before and after Sevilla and Real Betis grounds for just how effective this can be.

For what it's worth I would love to see a mural incorporated into the seating in the East stand such as Real Betis have or if not then I also really like style of patterned seating they have installed at Windsor Park in Belfast. It could be tailored to be specifically Hibs and so Easter Road would not just be a stadium with generic green seats.

Keith_M
07-06-2019, 01:59 PM
So I've gone through all the suggestions so far and have put a proposal to buy Hibs off STF and rebuild the stadium with:

A large section with rail seating, and free smoke bombs
Padded, wider seats for our more mature fans
A very large 'Family Stand', where grandparents will still be permitted, even without the kids.
Totally filled in corners, two of which will have giant screens for replays and the like.
Refreshment stalls with a choice of catering from around the world, outsourced to Hooters
(https://www.hooters.com/)Train halts on all four sides of the stadium
Car parks on all four sides of the stadium, linked to all nearby major roads via three lane link-roads.
An initial capacity of 25k, with room to extend it to 40k, if required.

How would everybody feel about that?

Oh, and did I mention it will be next to the A1, near Old Craighall (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Old+Craighall,+Musselburgh+EH21+8SL/@55.9220972,-3.0772748,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887b960d3699283:0x9fdf6 552e65b05d0!8m2!3d55.922098!4d-3.06852)?

:greengrin

The 90+2
07-06-2019, 02:07 PM
So I've gone through all the suggestions so far and have put a proposal to buy Hibs off STF and rebuild the stadium with:

A very large 'Family Stand', where grandparents will still be permitted, even without the kids.
Totally filled in corners, two of which will have giant screens for replays and the like.
Refreshment stalls with a choice of catering from around the world, outsourced to Hooters
Car parks on all four sides of the stadium, linked to all nearby major roads via three lane link-roads.

Oh, and did I mention it will be next to the A1, near Old Craighall (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Old+Craighall,+Musselburgh+EH21+8SL/@55.9220972,-3.0772748,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887b960d3699283:0x9fdf6 552e65b05d0!8m2!3d55.922098!4d-3.06852)?

Sounds all good and well but can’t we just have boats and hoes?

Renfrew_Hibby
07-06-2019, 03:17 PM

Eh... a helipad anyone???

Bostonhibby
07-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Eh... a helipad anyone???Sadly I still don't think we'll ever get one, not until Petrie and Sir Tom get matching helicopters.

Maybe they'll get them when all the Ponzi money comes through?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Keith_M
07-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Eh... a helipad anyone???

Do U actually OWN a helicopter?

😜

Eyrie
07-06-2019, 07:19 PM
Do U actually OWN a helicopter?

😜

How do you think he gets to games from Renfrew?

Keith_M
08-06-2019, 08:47 AM
How do you think he gets to games from Renfrew?

One of these?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Reliance_FX04LXE.jpg/200px-Reliance_FX04LXE.jpg