PDA

View Full Version : Can Scottish football survive Celtic?

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Well …. can it?

Bangkok Hibby
26-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Well …. can it?

Explain?

Mantis Toboggan
26-05-2019, 04:02 PM
No, we should all give up

Bostonhibby
26-05-2019, 04:06 PM
It's celtc [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
26-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Explain?

Two players on the pitch yesterday worth a combined total of 13 million quid and one of them was only a sub. Just completed a treble treble, how long until folk just get fed up and walk away if dominance like that continues?

The 90+2
26-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Lennon in charge tips the playing field a little bit for us. It was always either then or their bigot brothers regardless. They are a lot closer to us now than when they had the likes of Larson and Sutton etc.

Glory Lurker
26-05-2019, 04:14 PM
It's no comfort that the only chance of them being stopped is The Rangers stepping up a gear.

The 90+2
26-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Two players on the pitch yesterday worth a combined total of 13 million quid and one of them was only a sub. Just completed a treble treble, how long until folk just get fed up and walk away if dominance like that continues?

What does it change for us who wins the cup if it’s Celtic or huns?

More clubs have won trophies over the past ten years than for ages before also.

NAE NOOKIE
No, we should all give up

Its easy to be glib about it, but this is a whole new ball game. At least the cups were always a saving grace, but now even that isn't happening, if that continues folk might start giving up.

The 90+2
It's no comfort that the only chance of them being stopped is The Rangers stepping up a gear.

It is actually as they will cripple themselves doing so.

Waxy
26-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Well …. can it?

It’s a great question and one that must be asked now.
Fans could end up demanding a breakaway league.
What would we have to lose?
European places? Ha for how far we’re ever going to go in that.

The 90+2
Its easy to be glib about it, but this is a whole new ball game. At least the cups were always a saving grace, but now even that isn't happening, if that continues folk might start giving up.

Hearts are utter pap and they could have won yesterday. Tide turning.

04Sauzee
There is a difference to worth and what someone paid for them. That Celtic team really aren't that good. It's up to Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen to recruit well. No Neloms etc

Mantis Toboggan
26-05-2019, 04:20 PM

In the context of a treble treble I get your point, but we've never been about winning trophies all the time and it's not why i support us. But it certainly helps get crowds through the door.

Lago
26-05-2019, 05:05 PM
It's always been that way since I started attending football matches, if it's not Celtic it's Rangers, one of my first disappointments was Colin Stein going to Rangers then coming back & well we all know the story.

Keith_M
26-05-2019, 05:47 PM
I actually think Lennon will drag them down somewhat. He did well in finally getting them over the line this season but, let's be honest, they really dragged the ar5e out of it.

As for our own chances, I have a feeling we'll be bringing in a number of new players to fit Hecky's style of football and make more of a challenge to the teams that finished above us this year; especially Killie, who just won't be the same without Clarke.

Paisley Hibby
26-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Well …. can it?

Can Celtic survive Lennon is probably a better question.

HoboHarry
26-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Scottish football was no worse off for Sevco falling on their collective erchies and I wouldn't weep a single tear if they both vanished off to a European league. Our attendances have been shown to increase when we are consistently performing well even when in a lower division. We don't need either of those manky b*****ds to survive.....

heretoday
26-05-2019, 06:06 PM
It's serious. Scottish football is deadly dull. It's partly the way it's covered on the BBC. Like Celtic, they've no real competition. I was appalled by the blandness of the pre-match programme yesterday. Willie Miller and Pat Bonner spouting the same old stuff on the radio. You wouldn't think it was the cup final. No magic at all and that's where we're at.
I'm hoping Stevie Clarke gets a tune out of the national squad and gives us all something else to focus on apart from Celtic's march to a fourth treble.

Sammy7nil
26-05-2019, 06:09 PM

Ha ha it has been like that since time began apart from a few blips the old firm have dominated for decades.

HoboHarry
26-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Ha ha it has been like that since time began apart from a few blips the old firm have dominated for decades.
Yes they have Sammy but the thread is recognising that the clubs outwith Celtic and Sevco were at least winning the occasional cup. Even that's not happening now.....

Deansy
26-05-2019, 06:15 PM
I'm not being vindictive but now Lennon's in charge they're definitely challengeable - yesterday's display proves it and they were just lucky it was Hearts !

PH91
26-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Yes they have Sammy but the thread is recognising that the clubs outwith Celtic and Sevco were at least winning the occasional cup. Even that's not happening now.....

That is not any more true now than it has ever been. Hibs, Hearts, ICT, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd have all won the Scottish Cup in the last 10 years.

HoboHarry
26-05-2019, 06:21 PM
That is not any more true now than it has ever been. Hibs, Hearts, ICT, St Johnstone and Dundee Utd have all won the Scottish Cup in the last 10 years.
I know that but none have won anything in the last three - I think the OP is pointing out that Celtic winning everything and no end in sight to that is likely to lead to a seriously negative impact on our national game.

HoboHarry
26-05-2019, 06:22 PM
I'm not being vindictive but now Lennon's in charge they're definitely challengeable - yesterday's display proves it and they were just lucky it was Hearts !
Agree completely about the Lennon factor but it's going to be even worse if Sevco starting winning titles in my opinion.

where'stheslope
26-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Scottish football was no worse off for Sevco falling on their collective erchies and I wouldn't weep a single tear if they both vanished off to a European league. Our attendances have been shown to increase when we are consistently performing well even when in a lower division. We don't need either of those manky b*****ds to survive.....
Whilst I agree with you on the demise of Rangers not having much effect on things, if you look at the monies picked up by Celtic over these years, you'll find that the reason for the treble treble is in fact about the players they were able to bring in ie: £4.5m, £4.5m and £9.5m players who other than Rangers can afford that, but now even they are on a lot lower budget!!!!
Attendances are always swelled when they come to us, not quite the same when the likes of Hamilton or Ross County turn up, these games don't have the fans fighting for tickets!!!!

Iggy Pope
26-05-2019, 06:26 PM
How old would you have to be for this sort of talk? Beyond the grave I reckon.

I’m 56 and I’ve only ever witnessed four sides win the league (bit young for Killie in ‘65, so OF And New Firm it is).
Post war war wins by Hibs, Hearts, that one by Killie, and one by Dundee and you’ve got about six league winning sides outside the Old Firm since the Second World War.

Probably more clubs outside the OF winning the Scottish Cup past 25 years than the 25 before so it’s not all broken but they’ve dominated as long as anyone can remember.

HoboHarry
26-05-2019, 06:31 PM
How old would you have to be for this sort of talk? Beyond the grave I reckon.

I’m 56 and I’ve only ever witnessed four sides win the league (bit young for Killie in ‘65, so OF And New Firm it is).
Post war war wins by Hibs, Hearts, that one by Killie, and one by Dundee and you’ve got about six league winning sides outside the Old Firm since the Second World War.

Probably more clubs outside the OF winning the Scottish Cup past 25 years than the 25 before so it’s not all broken but they’ve dominated as long as anyone can remember.
56 for me too - pair of old goats..... :greengrin

Sammy7nil
26-05-2019, 06:33 PM

It is only three years remember Gaza's Laudrup Henrik etc everyone thought then no one would ever win anything again. Yet we managed to beat rangers twice at Hampden in that time.

Kojock
26-05-2019, 06:36 PM
There’s only thing worse than a two horse race is a one horse race.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2019, 06:43 PM
When it comes to the league it's not unique to Scotland. Leagues across Europe are increasingly dominated by either a single team (Italy, France, Germany) or a small group (England, Portugal, Netherlands).

The cups are probably more of a concern in Scotland as I think most fans accept it's unlikely the league title is leaving Glasgow ever again without either major investment elsewhere or a spectacular collapse of finances at Celtic and Rangers (again). The cups were always the saving grace and if the chance of winning either of those becomes more remote it might start driving fans away. On the flip side the last 3 years are a bit of an anomaly in recent times, at least partly instigated by Celtic attracting a top class manager. Prior to that Hibs, ICT, Dundee Utd, St Johnstone and Hearts all won the Scottish Cup in only a 7 year period. The LC also saw Killie, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Ross County win it in only 5 years.

For a bit comparison between 98/99 and 08/09 the Scottish Cup only left Glasgow once (Hearts 05/06) and in the same time frame only ourselves and Livingston took the LC outside the Glasgow boundary.

PH91
26-05-2019, 06:52 PM
I know that but none have won anything in the last three - I think the OP is pointing out that Celtic winning everything and no end in sight to that is likely to lead to a seriously negative impact on our national game.

Top teams go through spells when they are very good and that is what Celtic have done the last 3 years. I don’t believe that will continue over the next few years and appointing lennon as permanent manager makes me even more confident of that.

Did Scottish Football survive when Rangers won 9 in a row? Yes, it did, and it will survive this period of Celtic domination as well.

I appreciate, however, that the most likely scenario is that Sevco manage to close the gap and Scottish football returns to the duopoly of old in terms of the league. The real question is how do teams like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen manage to keep hold of their best players for significant periods of time in order to mount a challenge? A bit of belief in the quality of our league rather than constantly talking it down would be a start. Trying to promote the fact that, despite the monetary aspect (and unfortunately that is a big caveat), playing for the top scottish teams is a better proposition than mid table league 1 teams in england.

mjhibby
26-05-2019, 06:58 PM
It's serious. Scottish football is deadly dull. It's partly the way it's covered on the BBC. Like Celtic, they've no real competition. I was appalled by the blandness of the pre-match programme yesterday. Willie Miller and Pat Bonner spouting the same old stuff on the radio. You wouldn't think it was the cup final. No magic at all and that's where we're at.
I'm hoping Stevie Clarke gets a tune out of the national squad and gives us all something else to focus on apart from Celtic's march to a fourth treble.

Totally agree. This was the most low key cup final I can remember with very little interest bar the two teams in the final. Whether it's Celtic winning everything or the horrendous standard of football there was loads of folks forgetting there was a final on plus Hertz didn't sell all their tickets. Worrying times for Scottish football. And yes the TV and radio coverage bar Michael Stewart is awful.