PDA

View Full Version : Cricket World Cup 2019!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Mibbes Aye
23-05-2019, 10:26 PM
In amongst all the Brexit and Euro election shenanigans, it’s worth noting that by this time next week England and South Africa will have completed the first match of the CWC 2019 at The Oval.

Great opening game, with two solid teams. Viral Kohli was commenting today that he thinks games might be quite tight as the first round progresses but I fully expect England to go all out for a signature victory to set the tone.

Their challenge will be a very high-performing SAF bowling unit with strength at bat as well. Should be a cracker.

As for the tournament itself, clearly England, South Africa, India and Australia are the favourites for the semifinals. I expect Pakistan to disrupt things by showing up against one of the top four but not necessarily dominating the second-tier teams. New Zealand seem to be the solid outsider bet, good individual players permeating the team and a good team spirit. I’ve grown to really like the Windies over the last couple of years, they have some outstanding young talent. And Afghanistan will pull out a surprise or two, I suspect. They play with a lot of passion and no small amount of skill.

So, overall, I think the winner will be England or Australia. A lot depends for Australia on th form of Smith and Warner and how they integrate into the side. If it works they have th batting and bowling to compete. I noticed England have a tricky conclusion to the group stage - after SAF they play the lower-rated teams and finish off with Australia, India and NZ. Could end up being interesting!

I would love to hear anyone else’s predictions for the winners or semifinalists and look forward to what should be a great tournament and hopefully some great commentary on here.

JeMeSouviens
24-05-2019, 09:31 AM
England are a bit like cricket's version of Brazil 82. Tons of flair but vulnerable at the same time. Were this a league format I'd probably back them to win, certainly in home conditions. But a one off Paolo Rossi might show up and that'll be that.

lord bunberry
24-05-2019, 10:33 AM
I’ve got a feeling Australia might struggle. They’ve not really performed well in England for a while and they could possibly face some pretty hostile crowds due to Smith and Warner being back in the side. New Zealand or the Windies could make it to the semis.

lord bunberry
24-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Pakistan currently getting a real going over by Afghanistan’s top order. Chasing 263 they’re 78 without loss after 10 overs.

lord bunberry
24-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Afghanistan got there in the end with a couple of balls to spare, they’ll give a few teams a good game in the World Cup.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Off and running! Eng v SA today.

I presume this is just on Sky, will there be cooncil telly highlights?

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Drama!

Bairstow out to his first delivery. Eng 1/1 after 2 balls. That wasn't in the script.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Answering my own question - Channel 4 tonight at 11pm.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Was just about to post about England cruising along when Roy and Root get out in successive overs. Eng 111/3 after 19.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 12:23 PM
SA just about containing England - 236/4 with 10 overs left. Stokes in. Buttler not really got going yet.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Buttler out for 18 which feels significant. I think this might be a close finish. 260/6 with 6 overs left.

lord bunberry
30-05-2019, 01:01 PM
285/7 now. Woakes gone.

lord bunberry
30-05-2019, 01:14 PM
England finish 311/8. Not sure if that will be enough, England are far better chasing.

JimBHibees
30-05-2019, 02:36 PM
England are a bit like cricket's version of Brazil 82. Tons of flair but vulnerable at the same time. Were this a league format I'd probably back them to win, certainly in home conditions. But a one off Paolo Rossi might show up and that'll be that.

Is it right it is league format then a semi final seems to be too few knockout games IMO. No doubt wanting the top teams to get to later stages and rule out chance of one off shocks.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Rashid bowls de Kock - no he doesn't as the bails don't come off!

Mikey
30-05-2019, 04:14 PM
That was an outrageous catch by Stokes.

lord bunberry
30-05-2019, 04:39 PM
All over South Africa all out for 207 with 10 overs to spare. Great start for England.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2019, 04:40 PM
That was an outrageous catch by Stokes.

Who also top scored with 89 and took 2 wickets in less than 3 overs. So motm selection should be easy. :greengrin

Archer very impressive as well, justifying his selection, 3/27 in 7 overs.

lord bunberry
30-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Who also top scored with 89 and took 2 wickets in less than 3 overs. So motm selection should be easy. :greengrin

Archer very impressive as well, justifying his selection, 3/27 in 7 overs.
He was very impressive. The ball was travelling through to the wicketkeeper at a fine pace on a pitch that wasn’t conducive to fast bowling. His use of the slower ball and the Yorker in the latter part of the game showed his versatility, he more than justified his selection.

Mibbes Aye
30-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Said in the OP that England would go for it all guns blazing and they didn’t disappoint.

Only two out of ten English batsmen had strike rates below 86 and five exceeded 100.

Of the bowlers, all but one had economy rates which England would always fancy as a means of chasing down or defending a total and half of them returning decent strike rates too.

Some decent stuff for SAF to take from the game though. De Kock was god while he was in and Ngidi bowled well. They will bounce back I’m sure.

lord bunberry
30-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Said in the OP that England would go for it all guns blazing and they didn’t disappoint.

Only two out of ten English batsmen had strike rates below 86 and five exceeded 100.

Of the bowlers, all but one had economy rates which England would always fancy as a means of chasing down or defending a total and half of them returning decent strike rates too.

Some decent stuff for SAF to take from the game though. De Kock was god while he was in and Ngidi bowled well. They will bounce back I’m sure.
South Africa have an imbalance in their squad that will limit their chances. They don’t have enough all rounders, so they have to make a choice between batsmen and bowlers. English bowlers for example can mostly still be competitive with the bat. If England lose a few early wickets, they still have the luxury of pushing in with their innings. I did like the way South Africa bowled today and they probably won’t come up against a team as good as England again in this tournament.

hibee62
30-05-2019, 11:07 PM
Is it right it is league format then a semi final seems to be too few knockout games IMO. No doubt wanting the top teams to get to later stages and rule out chance of one off shocks.

It’s more about making sure the top teams play lots of games for advertising and tv revenue, rather than getting through. They tried a 4 groups of 4 World Cup in 2007 but Pakistan and India got knocked out first round (playing only 3 games each) so every one since has been smaller with large group stages. 2011 and 2015 were 14 teams with 2 groups of 7.

Mibbes Aye
31-05-2019, 12:17 AM
Tasty game for Friday with the Windies playing Pakistan at Trent Bridge.

Its very likely to be a batting surface which to an extent nullifies the threat of the various Windie quickies. However with the likes of Gayle, Hetmyer and Hope et al, they are more than capable of piling on the runs at bat.

Pakistan - when they are good they are often awesome, when they are not so good they are often dire. It is never easy to predict which Pakistani team will turn up and it does feel a little like there is more fluctuation to come in selection, whereas the Windies have or are introducing a fairly-established cohort of new talent, to complete the players in the middle to older bracket.

And of course a swan song at these finals for the Universe Boss, Chris Gayle. I’m expecting to see some mammoth hits over the boundary rope and him ignoring the potential threes or twos and maybe only taking a lumbering stroll for the ones. He’s a big laddy but can pick the ball and strike it and doesn’t really want to rotate the strike when he knows that every few balls he can spot the shot and clobber it out the park.

I’m going for a Windies victory though I think Pakistan will show up.

Mibbes Aye
31-05-2019, 12:21 AM
It’s more about making sure the top teams play lots of games for advertising and tv revenue, rather than getting through. They tried a 4 groups of 4 World Cup in 2007 but Pakistan and India got knocked out first round (playing only 3 games each) so every one since has been smaller with large group stages. 2011 and 2015 were 14 teams with 2 groups of 7.

I haven’t looked at how the revenues are getting shared out, but even if it is on a staggered basis based on final placing, every cricket board with a team featuring will know that India getting to the final especially must surely mean the biggest possible payday. India v England must probably be the biggest and there’s is a real potential for England to build on previous feelgood factors such as the Ashes wins in recent years and even Southgate in the World Cup to really boost their support.

lord bunberry
31-05-2019, 02:56 AM
I haven’t looked at how the revenues are getting shared out, but even if it is on a staggered basis based on final placing, every cricket board with a team featuring will know that India getting to the final especially must surely mean the biggest possible payday. India v England must probably be the biggest and there’s is a real potential for England to build on previous feelgood factors such as the Ashes wins in recent years and even Southgate in the World Cup to really boost their support.
Are you saying that an England v India final is somewhat inevitable?

Mibbes Aye
31-05-2019, 03:23 AM
Are you saying that an England v India final is somewhat inevitable?

No, I wouldn’t dare :greengrin

But it is set up as 1v4 and 2v3.

I think England or India will top the league and face either SAF or the wildcard which would be NZ or at a big but lovely push, the Windies. Which means Eng or Ind face Aus in the 2v3.

The disruptor is Aus finishing top, which likely means Eng v Ind in the other semi. Interesting.

lord bunberry
31-05-2019, 04:00 AM
No, I wouldn’t dare :greengrin

But it is set up as 1v4 and 2v3.

I think England or India will top the league and face either SAF or the wildcard which would be NZ or at a big but lovely push, the Windies. Which means Eng or Ind face Aus in the 2v3.

The disruptor is Aus finishing top, which likely means Eng v Ind in the other semi. Interesting.
You’ve been correct so far, but I still think Australia might struggle. I can definitely see New Zealand or the windies pushing for a semi final place. The windies in particular have a very potent attack.

JeMeSouviens
31-05-2019, 09:18 AM

I saw a brief snippet on (I think) the Beeb the other day saying the India v Pakistan game could've sold out 8 times over!

Actually, this suggests 16 times ...

ICC World Cup tournament director Steve Elworthy, during a promotional event in London, said that demand for tickets for the Indo-Pak group league clash is way more than Australia vs England game or the final at the Lord’s.

“That particular game (India vs Pakistan), we had over 400,000 applications for tickets, which is an incredible number. The stadium (Old Tarfford) only holds 25,000 people. So there are a number of disappointed people. That’s just locally, but (there is also) the audience globally,” Elworthy was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.

In fact, the former South African pacer then provided the numbers which is an indicative that how much the match means for world cricket’s governing body.

“To put that (number) in perspective, England vs Australia was around 230-240,000. And the final was around about 260-270,000 applications for tickets. So that gives you a bit of perspective for the demand for this match (India v Pakistan). It’s a big game. They could end up playing each other in the final (too), you never know.”

lord bunberry
31-05-2019, 10:33 AM
The Windies are ripping through the Pakistan top order. 62/4

JeMeSouviens
31-05-2019, 12:34 PM
The Windies are ripping through the Pakistan top order. 62/4

All out for 105. Oh dear.

Chris Gayle knocking them off at pace!

hibee62
31-05-2019, 12:44 PM
All out for 105. Oh dear.

Chris Gayle knocking them off at pace!

This really shows the folly of the 10 team World Cup. A year ago the windies scraped in by the skin of their teeth and the dubious decision of an umpire. Fast forward and they’ve drawn a series with the number 1 team in the format and are dismantling the champions trophy winners...

Edit: And of course the team they scraped in past have beaten the number 1 team in the format!

JeMeSouviens
31-05-2019, 01:04 PM
This really shows the folly of the 10 team World Cup. A year ago the windies scraped in by the skin of their teeth and the dubious decision of an umpire. Fast forward and they’ve drawn a series with the number 1 team in the format and are dismantling the champions trophy winners...

Edit: And of course the team they scraped in past have beaten the number 1 team in the format!

Shocker that there were no reviews in that tournament.

Anyway, Windies get the required runs in 13.4 overs! Bit of a hammering for Pakistan. I guess both teams are fairly volatile.

hibby6270
31-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Anyone got ticket(s) to go to any of the matches?
I’m off to Chester-le-Street (obviously nearest venue to Edinburgh) on 1st July for the Sri Lanka v West Indies game.
Most of the round robin games will be done and top 4 may well be shaping up, even decided by then but looking forward to it nevertheless.

Mibbes Aye
31-05-2019, 08:50 PM
I’m off to Chester-le-Street (obviously nearest venue to Edinburgh) on 1st July for the Sri Lanka v West Indies game.
Most of the round robin games will be done and top 4 may well be shaping up, even decided by then but looking forward to it nevertheless.

I am at Sri Lanka v South Africa on the Friday and Sri Lanka v the Windies on the Monday, both at Chester-le-Street, looking forward to both. Lots of talent in the SAF and WI teams and they may both be chasing a semi.

Mibbes Aye
31-05-2019, 10:18 PM
I called it wrong with the pitch, both Campbell and especially Thomas got loads from it. I’ve talked about Oshane Thomas before on other threads and I think he is a real potential world-class talent. This could be a breakthrough tournament for him.

Windies were never troubled chasing down the total and it still looks like Gayle has his eye in. I expect big runs from him in games to come.

While Pakistan failed, there were some signs of what they are capable of. Mercurial is the word. They will get a result against a top half team I suspect.

Mibbes Aye
31-05-2019, 10:30 PM
When Saturday comes it brings New Zealand against Sri Lanka and Afghanistan against Australia.

NZ and SRL are pretty evenly matched record-wise but I reckon NZ are the stronger team at the moment and better-suited to the pitch they will face. I’m backing NZ to win, probably comfortably.

Afghanistan, IMO, will pull off at least one victory against a top half side and this is probably their best opportunity. Nevertheless, Australia have more than enough talent and lots of experience at competitive ODI so I have to go with them.

Mibbes Aye
01-06-2019, 12:35 AM
South Africa have an imbalance in their squad that will limit their chances. They don’t have enough all rounders, so they have to make a choice between batsmen and bowlers. English bowlers for example can mostly still be competitive with the bat. If England lose a few early wickets, they still have the luxury of pushing in with their innings. I did like the way South Africa bowled today and they probably won’t come up against a team as good as England again in this tournament.

I think everyone look imbalanced compared to England. India probably have the best pace attack and some critical batters in the top order and also have a couple of decent all rounders. Australia probably go the traditional route whereby they have a pace attack who can bat a bit, the spinner and then some spin or medium pace from the batsmen. I think their advantage is that Paddy Cummins especially can score big runs with the bat. I suspect England ODI have adopted the mentality that Steve Waugh instilled in the Aussie Test team which was the last four were expected to knock up runs, no excuses. England almost don’t need that as their top seven is so strong but it is the right mentality.

Mibbes Aye
01-06-2019, 12:44 AM
I saw a brief snippet on (I think) the Beeb the other day saying the India v Pakistan game could've sold out 8 times over!

Actually, this suggests 16 times ...

I read some figures and India v Pakistan would be presumed to be the biggest-watched ever, if it occurs.

I cant remember the detail and cant be arsed looking it back up but the IPL rivals the NBA and the likes for global viewing figures and I suspect it won’t be long before they reach parity or exceed football.
In terms of revenue, it is all about India but I think England would edge Pakistan in generating more commercial money for a final - it is a bit like 2005 Ashes and there is huge potential to exploit England’s success.

marinello59
01-06-2019, 05:21 AM
I read some figures and India v Pakistan would be presumed to be the biggest-watched ever, if it occurs.

I cant remember the detail and cant be arsed looking it back up but the IPL rivals the NBA and the likes for global viewing figures and I suspect it won’t be long before they reach parity or exceed football.
In terms of revenue, it is all about India but I think England would edge Pakistan in generating more commercial money for a final - it is a bit like 2005 Ashes and there is huge potential to exploit England’s success.

We were lucky enough to secure tickets for the ICC Champions final in 2017. When India and Pakistan emerged as the finalists the money being offered online for tickets was eye watering. I’ve seen guys asking for tickets outside big football matches but nothing like what was happening outside the Oval that day.

hibee62
01-06-2019, 12:37 PM
I think everyone look imbalanced compared to England. India probably have the best pace attack and some critical batters in the top order and also have a couple of decent all rounders. Australia probably go the traditional route whereby they have a pace attack who can bat a bit, the spinner and then some spin or medium pace from the batsmen. I think their advantage is that Paddy Cummins especially can score big runs with the bat. I suspect England ODI have adopted the mentality that Steve Waugh instilled in the Aussie Test team which was the last four were expected to knock up runs, no excuses. England almost don’t need that as their top seven is so strong but it is the right mentality.

I think even England are unbalanced but their batting is just so powerful, they’re always likely to leak 300+ runs but will back themselves to chase it. The addition of archer may prove to be the final piece mind...

The low scores so far are intriguing, there were some murmurs that England were unhappy with the pitch for the opening game and I wonder if they may be less batsman friendly throughout this tournament than expected and if that may shake things up a bit?

Mibbes Aye
01-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Pretty much as expected today. NZ entirely comfortable against SRL and one worries about how the Sri Lankans will hold up, I think they have Australia next.

Australia pretty comfortable too, although I was impressed by the Afghan bowlers, they will get some results IMO.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 02:19 AM
Sunday brings South Africa against Bangladesh,

For SAF, as one of the top-four favourites, a win is critical. de Kock and du Plessis look convincing in the batting but they will need support. The bowling unit looks pretty good and given the youth of their strike bowlers it is great to think we are just at the start of watching some fantastic cricketers emerging into the game.

Bangladesh are no walkovers though and have had the beating of SAF in recent years. And like SAF and the Windies they have a clear cohort of younger players emerging. I’m looking forward to seeing them during this tournament.

That all said, I’m backing SAF for a win they need.

lord bunberry
02-06-2019, 02:24 AM
Sunday brings South Africa against Bangladesh,

For SAF, as one of the top-four favourites, a win is critical. de Kock and du Plessis look convincing in the batting but they will need support. The bowling unit looks pretty good and given the youth of their strike bowlers it is great to think we are just at the start of watching some fantastic cricketers emerging into the game.

Bangladesh are no walkovers though and have had the beating of SAF in recent years. And like SAF and the Windies they have a clear cohort of younger players emerging. I’m looking forward to seeing them during this tournament.

That all said, I’m backing SAF for a win they need.
The condition of the pitch has been a major factor so far, winning the toss could be crucial in this game.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 02:51 AM
The condition of the pitch has been a major factor so far, winning the toss could be crucial in this game.

:agree:

I think there was an expectation that pitches might be more batting-friendly, will be interesting to see how that pans out across the tournament.

Bangladesh are no mugs and a team on the rise, SAF really need a win to move on from their opening defeat.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 06:15 PM

I think there was an expectation that pitches might be more batting-friendly, will be interesting to see how that pans out across the tournament.

Bangladesh are no mugs and a team on the rise, SAF really need a win to move on from their opening defeat.

Well, well, well.

Congratulations to Bangladesh for a great performance to win the match and make a solid start to their campaign. There weren’t just good individual performances but a real sense of unity amongst the team. I am looking forward to seeing their forthcoming games.

As for SAF all of a sudden things are looking awkward. In fairness they came into the CWC with an absolutely awesome first four in bowling but Steyn wasn’t available today and Ngidi had to limp off, while Rabada had a rare bad day at the office. When that happens it leaves them exposed.

Funnily enough they remained in it for most of the game while never really looking like they were going to have that burst, over a few overs, that could see them win the match. I think they have India next which is now absolutely critical.

SAF’s misfortune will enthuse the teams who would have been aiming for the semis but as outsiders. New Zealand, Windies and Bangladesh will be stepping things up I suspect, in their next games.

lord bunberry
02-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Well, well, well.

Congratulations to Bangladesh for a great performance to win the match and make a solid start to their campaign. There weren’t just good individual performances but a real sense of unity amongst the team. I am looking forward to seeing their forthcoming games.

As for SAF all of a sudden things are looking awkward. In fairness they came into the CWC with an absolutely awesome first four in bowling but Steyn wasn’t available today and Ngidi had to limp off, while Rabada had a rare bad day at the office. When that happens it leaves them exposed.

Funnily enough they remained in it for most of the game while never really looking like they were going to have that burst, over a few overs, that could see them win the match. I think they have India next which is now absolutely critical.

SAF’s misfortune will enthuse the teams who would have been aiming for the semis but as outsiders. New Zealand, Windies and Bangladesh will be stepping things up I suspect, in their next games.
Bangladesh were excellent, they have an enthusiasm that matches their abilities. South Africa never looked like they’d chase that total down and they need to sort their fielding out.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Bangladesh were excellent, they have an enthusiasm that matches their abilities. South Africa never looked like they’d chase that total down and they need to sort their fielding out.

Was it you who talked earlier about SAF's lack of all-rounders?

It was evident today. When fully fit they have a fiercesome bowling unit for ODIs, fierce for Tests as well actually, and they have a few fine batsmen but if they lose a player or two, the cracks start to show.

They simply don't have the likes of a Kallis anymore, which feels like an unfair criticism, But most teams do have players in that position they can go to and in ODI you need players who can offer something with bat and ball in a way that isn't necessary at Test level.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2019, 10:53 PM
So Monday brings England against Pakistan at Trent Bridge.

Pakistan always bring such elan and admittedly delightful unpredictability that it is impossible to dislike them.

England will look forward to batting at Nottingham, where runs should be assured, notwithstanding the last game.

If England bat first I expect a decent victory for them. If Pakistan go first I expect England to catch them or come close.

Mibbes Aye
03-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Fair start by Pakistan going at just over six an over after six overs.

JeMeSouviens
03-06-2019, 11:21 AM
England have calmed things down a bit after Moeen got both of the openers. Jason Roy just dropped a bit of a dolly and judging by the size of the cheer there's either a lot visitors from Pakistan or Norman Tebbitt will be horrified. :wink:

lord bunberry
03-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Was it you who talked earlier about SAF's lack of all-rounders?

It was evident today. When fully fit they have a fiercesome bowling unit for ODIs, fierce for Tests as well actually, and they have a few fine batsmen but if they lose a player or two, the cracks start to show.

They simply don't have the likes of a Kallis anymore, which feels like an unfair criticism, But most teams do have players in that position they can go to and in ODI you need players who can offer something with bat and ball in a way that isn't necessary at Test level.
Yes it was me. It’s a shame because they’re a team I quite like, but without the ability to bat further down the order they’re going to struggle.

lord bunberry
03-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Babar Azam goes, big wicket for England. Pakistan need 350 plus on this pitch.

lord bunberry
03-06-2019, 01:22 PM
England will need 349 to win. Pakistan played well there, but England were a bit sloppy in the field.

Mibbes Aye
03-06-2019, 01:49 PM
England will need 349 to win. Pakistan played well there, but England were a bit sloppy in the field.

Yes, England will fancy their chances but Pakistan have some decent bowlers.

JeMeSouviens
03-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Yes, England will fancy their chances but Pakistan have some decent bowlers.

Jason Roy out in the 3rd over. England up against it a little. Pakistan definitely on it today.

lord bunberry
03-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Jason Roy out in the 3rd over. England up against it a little. Pakistan definitely on it today.

They are, bowling beautifully so far.

JeMeSouviens
03-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Pakistan on top - 118/4. Here comes Buttler ...

JeMeSouviens
03-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Root & Buttler got England right back into it. Root out for 107. 75 needed off 7 overs. Tense!

JeMeSouviens
03-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Buttler out for 103.

I think Pakistan have got this now. It's sounded like a great game.

Mibbes Aye
03-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Buttler out for 103.

I think Pakistan have got this now. It's sounded like a great game.

It was an utterly compelling game.

Really pleased for Pakistan, bouncing back from their defeat to the Windies. They needed a victory today to open up a route to the semis.

They batted very well and bowled cleverly.

England didn't disappoint - Root played a mature innings given the early England losses and Buttler was explosive, at least early on. There won't be many teams to lose an ODI whilst having two players make centuries.

If anything let England down, it was their bowling attack, Moeen excepted. It just didn't click for them.

But that shouldn't detract from a strong and solid Pakistan performance. They really showed up and did well to see it out against a decent England side.

I wouldn't normally compare cricket sides to football sides but Pakistan are Hibs to a degree - capable of exceptional performances one game and absolutely dire the next, though the green strips may be subliminally influencing me :greengrin

hfc rd
03-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Finally my place of origin - India kickstart their WC campaign very soon!

Come on India, let’s win our 3rd World Cup!! 🇮🇳 🏆🏆🏆

Jeete ga bhai jeete ga... Apna/hamara India jeete ga!!!

LALthehibeeGAL
04-06-2019, 07:46 PM

seen as the ODI saturday game at the grange between Scotland and Sri Lanka was rained off we are hoping to take in this game - looking at getting tickets through viagogo - is this okay do you think! Got them via there for the Scotland v Italy game in Rome in 2017 and it was ok.

Cheers
Lal

Mibbes Aye
04-06-2019, 08:10 PM
Another game that ebbed and flowed, momentum shifting throughout. A much-needed win for SRL but a sense of an opportunity missed for Afghanistan. I hope they get at least one victory but today was probably their best chance.

Mibbes Aye
04-06-2019, 11:58 PM
Big double-header for Wednesday.

India make their debut as a team this tournament, a clear favourite, with probably the best pace attack in the world and some stellar batsmen, plus some guy called Kohli who seems to have scraped into the side.

South Africa almost certainly wouldn’t have expected to be facing a third defeat on the bounce and if they were to lose it doesn’t make it impossible for them to reach the semis but it certainly gets the mouths watering amongst NZ, Windies and even Pakistan now, let alone the Bangladeshis.

Hard for me to see past India, though SAF have the advantage of having played a couple of games. Losing Steyn and Ngidi has been a hammer-blow though.

In the other match we have what feels like a perfectly-timed game between Bangladesh and New Zealand at The Oval. Both teams on a high and both maybe scenting the possibility of top four. They met on NZ soil earlier this year and it was fairly comfortable for the Kiwis.

I’m expecting the same again, NZ to win though not as comfortably as in their last outing.

Realised I never got round to posting a prediction for Afghanistan v Sri Lanka. I was backing Afghanistan for a narrow victory, so got that one wrong, though the game swung a few times.

hibee62
05-06-2019, 06:19 AM
Another game that ebbed and flowed, momentum shifting throughout. A much-needed win for SRL but a sense of an opportunity missed for Afghanistan. I hope they get at least one victory but today was probably their best chance.

A missed opportunity for them and a bit of a disappointment for associate cricket too. We really could do with Afghanistan making an impact to bolster the case for an expanded World Cup.

JeMeSouviens
05-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Finally my place of origin - India kickstart their WC campaign very soon!

Come on India, let’s win our 3rd World Cup!! 🇮🇳 🏆🏆🏆

Jeete ga bhai jeete ga... Apna/hamara India jeete ga!!!

They're looking good - restricted SA to 227/9. All going wrong for the South Africans.

hfc rd
05-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Rohit Sharma - natural talent

Good job done India 🇮🇳 👍🏾

6 wicket win with 2.5 overs left

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India! 🇮🇳😊

hfc rd
05-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Bangladesh vs New Zealand game has me right on the edge of my seat.

Terrific game!

hfc rd
05-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Bangladesh very unlucky towards the end. New Zealand almost threw that game away. Proper squeaky bum time!

marinello59
05-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Bangladesh very unlucky towards the end. New Zealand almost threw that game away. Proper squeaky bum time!

Great game .

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Just as an aside, I’ve been mixing my coverage. BBC Radio has been pretty decent as usual, no complaints as is the norm.

I think Sky Sports have done really well, with the full live coverage, the hour long highlights package and then the bite size package.

I try to watch or listen to as much as possible live but I can’t manage every game and the two highlight formats have both worked really well.

Might try to dig out ABC for when Australia play next, as their commentary is usually very good. Likewise there are a couple of English-speaking Indian channels on TV and radio that I think I’ve posted about previously that are very well-informed.

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2019, 01:35 AM
Great game .

It was a very good game between two sides who were confident and going for it. There’s been some great cricket so far in this tournament.

SAF v India didn’t disappoint either though wasn’t as good a match as Bangladesh - NZ.

Thursday brings Australia against the Windies, I think at Trent Bridge.

Despite my fondness for the Windies, not least of all their retro fiercesome pacemen, I’m minded to lean towards Australia. Nottingham should be a pitch that suits runscorers and while Windies have the likes of Gayle and Hope, the Aussies have Smith, Warner and Finch.

Critically both teams have attacks that can take wickets so for me it comes down to who can set the target high enough or who can chase it down. The Aussies just edge it for me at the moment.

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Windies blowing the Aussies away. :greengrin

Apart from the eternally resolute Steve Smith that is. 166/6 after 34 overs.

lord bunberry
06-06-2019, 12:54 PM
What a catch from Cottrell. Australia 249/7.

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Target 289

Gayle out already 31/2 :-(

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Just as an aside, I’ve been mixing my coverage. BBC Radio has been pretty decent as usual, no complaints as is the norm.

I think Sky Sports have done really well, with the full live coverage, the hour long highlights package and then the bite size package.

I try to watch or listen to as much as possible live but I can’t manage every game and the two highlight formats have both worked really well.

Might try to dig out ABC for when Australia play next, as their commentary is usually very good. Likewise there are a couple of English-speaking Indian channels on TV and radio that I think I’ve posted about previously that are very well-informed.

TMS is great and they've got an excellent cast of commentators, pundits etc on board for this.

lord bunberry
06-06-2019, 04:21 PM
Hope goes for 68. This could go down to the wire. 190/5.

lord bunberry
06-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Mikey Holding isn’t happy with the umpires today :greengrin

lord bunberry
06-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Russel goes for 15. There was no need for him to be trying to hit every ball to the boundary, the Windies were in control, game on now 216/6.

lord bunberry
06-06-2019, 05:23 PM
The Windies have blown this. Ill discipline with the bat has been costly, they’ll be absolutely kicking themselves.

lord bunberry
06-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Fine performance from Starc though.

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2019, 12:28 AM
Cracking game at Trent Bridge, just one of so many in this World Cup. What a tournament!

Australia looked so low at one point, Smith steadied the ship and was aided and abetted by Coulter-Nile who is seriously under-rated as a batsman. Probably worth noting that the rest of the Aussie lower order maybe didn’t perform but the likes of Paddy Cummins are more than capable of putting a healthy level of runs on the board. The Aussies arguably have a longer tail than anyone else.

Windies slipped. Shai Hope did well but the side probably needed a big and explosive innings from Gayle. We know he has it in him but as smart as he is, he faced intelligent bowlers and fielding today. He will get his runs in this tournament but I thought Australia played him well.

It would be churlish not to mention the Cottrell catch. I see it is being contrasted to Stokes’ catch but for me it is more like Glenn Maxwell’s take a few years back. Outstanding fielding, nevertheless.

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2019, 12:30 AM
Fine performance from Starc though.

I really, really like Mitchell Starc aand he had a fine day today. Will be at two of the Ashes Tests and hoping he is fit and fine, as he is sublime when he is on song.

lord bunberry
07-06-2019, 12:51 AM
Cracking game at Trent Bridge, just one of so many in this World Cup. What a tournament!

Australia looked so low at one point, Smith steadied the ship and was aided and abetted by Coulter-Nile who is seriously under-rated as a batsman. Probably worth noting that the rest of the Aussie lower order maybe didn’t perform but the likes of Paddy Cummins are more than capable of putting a healthy level of runs on the board. The Aussies arguably have a longer tail than anyone else.

Windies slipped. Shai Hope did well but the side probably needed a big and explosive innings from Gayle. We know he has it in him but as smart as he is, he faced intelligent bowlers and fielding today. He will get his runs in this tournament but I thought Australia played him well.

It would be churlish not to mention the Cottrell catch. I see it is being contrasted to Stokes’ catch but for me it is more like Glenn Maxwell’s take a few years back. Outstanding fielding, nevertheless.
Fine summary, but do you not feel that the Windies threw that away today through ill discipline? Russell was sharing the strike with the captain at a time when the game was in their hands. He was swiping at every ball when he didn’t need to be. I realise that Russell is at his best when he’s playing his shots,, but surely the captain steps in there and tells him to calm down. They could’ve pushed the ball around and taken singles while Starc was bowling and still won the game.
I was quite impressed by the young Aussie spinner Zampa, he went for a few runs, but he will learn from that.

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2019, 12:56 AM
Friday brings us Pakistan against Sri Lanka in Bristol.

This looks like a cracking game, not one I picked to pre-book for attending, but I wish I did now and an important game now.

Pakistan need a win here if they are pushing for the top four, now that SAF have dropped the ball.

SRL are a weak team but they can push themselves up in games like this.

My sense is Pakistan are a far better team, albeit unpredictable.

Really looking forward to this game.

hfc rd
07-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Friday brings us Pakistan against Sri Lanka in Bristol.

This looks like a cracking game, not one I picked to pre-book for attending, but I wish I did now and an important game now.

Pakistan need a win here if they are pushing for the top four, now that SAF have dropped the ball.

SRL are a weak team but they can push themselves up in games like this.

My sense is Pakistan are a far better team, albeit unpredictable.

Really looking forward to this game.

Oh well, guess it wasn’t to be.

Looked a good game on paper too

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Oh well, guess it wasn’t to be.

Looked a good game on paper too

Yes, it’s a shame but on the plus side, the point apiece for the wash-out pulled them both up into the top four, at least for a little while.

Saturday brings another two interesting fixtures.

England play Bangladesh at Cardiff. Both teams have won one, lost one, and will be desperate for a win to help build momentum. The dynamic England opening pair are maybe, just maybe slightly susceptible to spin and Bangladesh will open their bowling with at least one and possible two spinners.

Meanwhile in Taunton, we have an Afghanistan team who factually are bottom of the table but morally nowhere near there. Unluckily for them they face New Zealand who have been pretty steely so far.

I fancy England to get back to winning ways, though Bangladesh should ask them some questions. And I fancy New Zealand to be just too strong for Afghanistan I’m afraid.

Weatherwise, it seems to be chucking it down in Cardiff overnight but expected to be dry tomorrow. Taunton has a risk of showers throughout the day. Obviously we don’t want rain to rule out play but in Taunton the risk of episodic showers could mean a disrupted game and the potential for reduced overs which can really change the dynamic of a match. Still fancy NZ to manage that best though.

lord bunberry
08-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Afghanistan v New Zealand is on sky sports mix which is available for free if anyone is interested.

Mibbes Aye
09-06-2019, 01:07 AM
Well, Saturday went to script. Bangladesh showed up to an extent with their bowling and their use of spin but ultimately had no answer to a very strong, very quick-scoring England batting line-up. Six of the eight batsmen had a srtrike rate of over 100 and of the other two one was in the mid-seventies and one in the eighties IIRC. That’s very good form.

And in the second half, England produced some stinging pace - with Archer and Wood, they have two bowlers as fast as anyone though it is rather disconcerting how Mark Wood often can’t keep his feet and falls over after his delivery :greengrin. Also from an England point of view, they will have been pleased to see Stokes pick up a few wickets. He has been having a pretty decent tournament so far, with bat, ball and in the field.

I didn’t really catch much of Afghanistan against New Zealand but as expected, NZ won comfortably. NZ have made a great start, albeit against the three teams expected to be weakest in the tournament. Winning breeds confidence though and perhaps the Kiwis maybe just got the plum draw in this tournament. We shall see.......

Sunday brings us a real beaut at The Oval with India playing Australia. This really is a clash of the titans, so much history between these two sides at ODI let alone in cricket generally.

Australia are on a great run of form and also have a massively better head-to-head record. India bring probably the best bowling unit in the world, some very strong batsmen and a couple of all-rounder potential superstars. And Kohli hasn’t really shown much yet, so one will be expecting something!

I think the toss is crucial in this one. I think India want to be bowling first, in part to let their bowlers have the maximum advantage as I think the pitch will become more batting-friendly as the day goes on. Also, I think I heard or read some crazy stat that Australia have never lost while chasing a total at the CWC since 1999. Many different players during that time, but knowing Australian cricket psychology and culture, it suggests a willingness to adopt the necessary level of attack and aggression to see things over the line and it has worked every time they needed it to ( don’t know how many games this refers to, may check tomorrow but no promises!).

When it’s all said and done, I’m actually going for an India victory here, which I was initially surprised at. But they have the strength in the attack, some outstanding talent at bat, and the likes of Pandya who may well move up the order for this game, maybe.

For Australia, Starc is a potent threat who has had a lot of joy against some of the key Indian players in the past. I’m worried that the likes of Zampa might find themselves getting knocked around the ground though. We shall see.

Anyway, India for me, fully expect at this stage to see both teams in the final four regardless of this match result.

hfc rd
09-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Come on India!!! 🇮🇳

This is our year, World Cup title number 3 coming home!

Jeete ga bhai jeete ga... apna hamara India jeete ga!!!

hfc rd
09-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Hardik Pandya - take a bow! The legend that is Sachin Tendulkar would be proud with that batting performance!

Absolute terrific batting! 🏏

🇮🇳 🏆🏆🏆

lord bunberry
09-06-2019, 01:15 PM
It’s absolutely brilliant watching India play. The style of cricket and the noise and colour from the fans is tremendous.

hfc rd
09-06-2019, 01:22 PM
That’s one of our best batting performances for quite some time

Well done! 👍🏾

Sohniye, Sohniye INDIA! 🇮🇳

hfc rd
09-06-2019, 06:08 PM
Australia brushed aside with ease! One of our best all round performances for quite some time, particularly the batting.

2 out of 2, fantastic start! 🇮🇳👍🏾😊

weecounty hibby
09-06-2019, 09:01 PM
Australia brushed aside with ease! One of our best all round performances for quite some time, particularly the batting.

2 out of 2, fantastic start! 🇮🇳👍🏾😊

Yeah, great all round performance. Funnily enough I was most impressed by the bowling. India look dangerous

Mibbes Aye
09-06-2019, 10:29 PM
While I didn’t expect India to bat first if they won the toss, Kohli can read the pitch better than me :greengrin and chose to do so.

Another good match in this CWC that swung in momentum a couple of times.

For India, Dhawan, Pandya, Bumrah and Kumar were stars but the interesting thing is that the rest of the team are equally capable of playing the lead role. I heard or read earlier that India are the only team whose two established openers have got centuries so far. I think other teams may match that but the fact they have done so early is worth consideration.

For Australia, not enough sense of urgency is my take -they only really picked up momentum late on. I’m also curious as to why Cummins is batting so low down the order. I realise ODIs are different from the five day game but in Tests he has shown himself to be an effective batsman who can move things on quickly.

I also read a comment online somewhere, critical of India, that said if England found themselves with three overs to go and three wickets down, they would be on for posting 500.......

I suspect that attitude might be challenged at the end of June when the two sides meet.

Mibbes Aye
09-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Monday brings South Africa against the Windies at Southampton.

This is surely a must-win for SAF but they don’t have their troubles to seek, with Steyn and Ngidi’s injuries, the media furore over AB Villiers’ attempt at being selected and an endemic batting failure in their top and middle order.

For the Windies, Gayle must be relishing the chance to post a really big score given the depleted attack he will face. Hope and Hetmyer are due a big innings too, and in Hetmyer’s case, his sheer bravado means that it could be very exciting.

By the same token, SAF have their veteran bowler Tahir. He hasn’t had a great tournament so far but he has a very good record against the Windies and from SAF’s point of view they need him to come good now.

I’m a little bit tempted by the thought of Ramada and Tahir showing up well, and de Kock continuing his progression as a key batsman, combined with the team finally reacting to all the pressures and the defeats.

But I find it hard to see past the fact that the Windies have potentially huge and quick runscorers on a batting-friendly pitch and bowlers who can bowl with eye-watering pace.

Windies for me, but not expecting it to be a walkover by any means - unless SAF morale has completely collapsed, but I reckon they are too resilient for that.

JeMeSouviens
10-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Only 7 overs of SA v Windies before rain stopped play and it's now been abandoned. SA really up against it now.

Mibbes Aye
10-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Only 7 overs of SA v Windies before rain stopped play and it's now been abandoned. SA really up against it now.

They were probably glad of a guaranteed point today :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
10-06-2019, 11:52 PM
I feel sorry for the Windies, they had made a promising start attacking South Africa and would have benefitted as a consequence, should a reduced-overs game have been possible. Moral victories only earn you one point though.

Tuesday brings us Bangladesh against Sri Lanka in Bristol, though there is a serious chance of rain disrupting or ruling out play.

If it goes ahead it will be a fascinating match. Sri Lanka manage to find themselves in a much higher position that one would have expected and I think can actually go second in the table with a victory though admittedly it will be a temporary thing. Bangladesh have shown up reasonably well so far but need to be translating that into victories against the likes of SRL.

Perhaps the key factor may be whether the Bangladeshi talisman, Shakib Al Hasan, is fit. He has batted very well so far. At the other end and on the other side, I think Malinga is close to moving up in the record books for wickets taken, both for Sri Lanka and generally, at CWCs, so there are potential incentives for him.

If the weather allows a match to be played, it could be a cracking game to join several others in this tournament. Historically, SRL have had the upper hand over Bangladesh but that has become less the case in recent years. Games often seem to swing quite dramatically, with either side capable of producing a convincing victory.

On the assumption we get a full game I’m going to back Bangladesh, especially if they win the toss and bat first, but regardless anyway. If it does become reduced-overs due to weather then I’m less confident in predicting anything!

hfc rd
11-06-2019, 12:15 PM
I feel sorry for the Windies, they had made a promising start attacking South Africa and would have benefitted as a consequence, should a reduced-overs game have been possible. Moral victories only earn you one point though.

Tuesday brings us Bangladesh against Sri Lanka in Bristol, though there is a serious chance of rain disrupting or ruling out play.

If it goes ahead it will be a fascinating match. Sri Lanka manage to find themselves in a much higher position that one would have expected and I think can actually go second in the table with a victory though admittedly it will be a temporary thing. Bangladesh have shown up reasonably well so far but need to be translating that into victories against the likes of SRL.

Perhaps the key factor may be whether the Bangladeshi talisman, Shakib Al Hasan, is fit. He has batted very well so far. At the other end and on the other side, I think Malinga is close to moving up in the record books for wickets taken, both for Sri Lanka and generally, at CWCs, so there are potential incentives for him.

If the weather allows a match to be played, it could be a cracking game to join several others in this tournament. Historically, SRL have had the upper hand over Bangladesh but that has become less the case in recent years. Games often seem to swing quite dramatically, with either side capable of producing a convincing victory.

On the assumption we get a full game I’m going to back Bangladesh, especially if they win the toss and bat first, but regardless anyway. If it does become reduced-overs due to weather then I’m less confident in predicting anything!

Feel sorry for Sri Lanka if this game gets officially called off. That’s two consecutive games for them that has been called off and losing a potential 4 points in total from those two games which you never know could be very vital in the end for a place in the semifinals

JeMeSouviens
11-06-2019, 12:23 PM
Feel sorry for Sri Lanka if this game gets officially called off. That’s two consecutive games for them that has been called off and losing a potential 4 points in total from those two games which you never know could be very vital in the end for a place in the semifinals

It does seem a bit poor that they don't try and reschedule some of these games given they have quite a long time to fit them in.

hfc rd
11-06-2019, 06:22 PM

It does seem a bit poor that they don't try and reschedule some of these games given they have quite a long time to fit them in.

Exactly. It’s unfair on teams like Sri Lanka who could potentially miss out on a semi final spot because of the weather!

Personally I don’t like this present format. Prefer it in groups like you normally get with the football/ rugby World Cups rather than one big league of 10. Could be a lot of boring, meaningless matches towards the end with a few nations already knocked out with 2-3 games to spare.

Mibbes Aye
11-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Technically, haven’t they only risked missing out on two potential points, as they got a point for the lost games?

Regardless, I agree with your point, it stymies teams from building the points for the top four.

What I’m not sure about, and what could be even more unfair, is the impact on net run rate.

I take your point about how the fixtures might play out, it will be interesting to see.

One of my matches is Sri Lanka v South Africa which may well be a dead rubber (or a desperate clinging to life for either or both sides). It is what it is and even if the game doesn’t have a bearing I will be glad to have seen both teams.

Mibbes Aye
11-06-2019, 11:18 PM
Good read here

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/11/india-sri-lanka-mumbai-1987-first-modern-odi-the-spin

hfc rd
11-06-2019, 11:33 PM
Technically, haven’t they only risked missing out on two potential points, as they got a point for the lost games?

Regardless, I agree with your point, it stymies teams from building the points for the top four.

What I’m not sure about, and what could be even more unfair, is the impact on net run rate.

I take your point about how the fixtures might play out, it will be interesting to see.

One of my matches is Sri Lanka v South Africa which may well be a dead rubber (or a desperate clinging to life for either or both sides). It is what it is and even if the game doesn’t have a bearing I will be glad to have seen both teams.

Yes, sorry 2 potential points. My maths was all over the place there! 😅

But yeah if the game is to get called off, surely they could re-arrange it? I just feel sorry for the spectators who will have no doubt spent a lot of money for these tickets. Plus let’s say Sri Lanka miss out on a semi final spot by 1-2 points, then these recent postponements against Pakistan & Bangladesh will no doubt have played a huge part in that.

Yeah, again the present format, I just don’t see what positives it brings. We could potentially have 2-3 games where there is nothing to play for. A boring, meaningless game with nothing at stake. Surely let’s say something like a total of 12 nations divided into 4 groups of 4 from A-D. Play each other once with the top two from each group qualifying for the quarters in the following format:

Group winner A vs Runner up B
Group winner C vs Runner up D
Group winner B vs Runner up A
Group winner D vs Runner up C

Enjoy the South Africa vs Sri Lanka game mate. I’ve got tickets for the India vs England game at the end of the month and I’m really looking forward to it 😊 Hope we win but more so, I hope the weather is nice that the game actually goes ahead! 😂

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India! 🇮🇳

Mibbes Aye
11-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Wednesday brings a potential belter. Australia against Pakistan. It has oft-been repeated but if Pakistan can turn up then we could be on for a cracking game. By the same token, if Warner, Finch and Smith shine then runs aren’t a problem for the Aussies. Their bowling hasn’t clicked yet IMO but they are certainly capable.

My heart wants Pakistan to win, my head says Australia will win. I’m going for Australia but hoping Pakistan will show, and then you never know.

Mibbes Aye
11-06-2019, 11:46 PM

But yeah if the game is to get called off, surely they could re-arrange it? I just feel sorry for the spectators who will have no doubt spent a lot of money for these tickets. Plus let’s say Sri Lanka miss out on a semi final spot by 1-2 points, then these recent postponements against Pakistan & Bangladesh will no doubt will have played a huge part in that.

Yeah, again the present format, I just don’t see what positives it brings. We could potentially have 2-3 games where there is nothing to play for. A boring, meaningless game with nothing at stake. Surely let’s say something like a total of 12 nations divided into 4 groups of 4 from A-D. Play each other once with the top two from each group qualifying for the quarters in the following format:

Enjoy the South Africa vs Sri Lanka game mate. I’ve got tickets for the India vs England game at the end of the month and I’m really looking forward to it 😊 Hope we win but more so, I hope the weather is nice that the game actually goes ahead! 😂

Chak De India! 🇮🇳

Fingers crossed the weather is good for your game, it should be one of the best, if not the best, games of the group stages.

Got SAF v Windies as well and looking forward to seeing the young WI talent and hopefully Chris Gayle swinging the bat.

Like your idea for a different format. Makes sense to me. My guess is it all sits with the BCCI and they judge how it influences the income streams -that’s the world we live in.

Mibbes Aye
11-06-2019, 11:51 PM

But yeah if the game is to get called off, surely they could re-arrange it? I just feel sorry for the spectators who will have no doubt spent a lot of money for these tickets. Plus let’s say Sri Lanka miss out on a semi final spot by 1-2 points, then these recent postponements against Pakistan & Bangladesh will no doubt will have played a huge part in that.

Just noticed a slight flaw, 12 nations can’t be divided 4x4.

Four groups of three?

hfc rd
12-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Just noticed a slight flaw, 12 nations can’t be divided 4x4.

Four groups of three?

Jeez, I’m having a proper mare with my maths! 😂

Yeah four groups of 3 with the top two qualifying for the quarters. Every game would at least have something to play for.

JeMeSouviens
12-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Wednesday brings a potential belter. Australia against Pakistan. It has oft-been repeated but if Pakistan can turn up then we could be on for a cracking game. By the same token, if Warner, Finch and Smith shine then runs aren’t a problem for the Aussies. Their bowling hasn’t clicked yet IMO but they are certainly capable.

My heart wants Pakistan to win, my head says Australia will win. I’m going for Australia but hoping Pakistan will show, and then you never know.

Aussie restricted to 307 all out after looking to be on for 350+. Pakistan going along nicely at 115/2 after 21 overs. Imam and Hafeez well set. Looks like it's going to be close ...

If Pakistan have beaten both Aus and Eng we need to really take them seriously as potential winners?

JeMeSouviens
12-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Oh dear, wickets tumbling now. 147/5.

JeMeSouviens
12-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Pakistan improbably making a fight of it. 8 overs to go, 54 runs needed, 3 wickets left. :hyper

JeMeSouviens
12-06-2019, 05:03 PM
All over, Pakistan all out for 266. It turned again on the last second review that dismissed Wahab thanks to a faint ultra-edge.

hfc rd
12-06-2019, 08:32 PM
All over, Pakistan all out for 266. It turned again on the last second review that dismissed Wahab thanks to a faint ultra-edge.

That was definitely the turning point.

I thought Pakistan were going to pull it off yet again. Australia actually decided to challenge that decision at the very last second. If they didn’t, then well who knows how that game would have unfolded.

Anyways tomorrow, the big one. India vs New Zealand.

Come on India! 🇮🇳

Mibbes Aye
12-06-2019, 10:24 PM
So, Pakistan showed up to an extent but not to the level of consistency you need. Especially when Australia can get one of Finch, Warner or Smith to perform.

Today it was Warner, and also Finch to an extent, But to win this tournament they need two of that three always at least to be posting big and quick runs. The Australian order don't stand comparison to England, but they nevertheless have two of the best players in the world in their top four. I can't see them not making the semis but I can't see them beating two elite sides in succession unless the bowling unit clicks and the batting delivers - I've been critical in the past but how ponderous is Khawaja? He simply needs dropped. Also not convinced about Zampa in the attack.

Fantastic bowling from Mohammed Amir, outstanding figures. I've said it before but Pakistan are a gorgeous cricket team to watch, you have no idea what you will get and when it is good it is scintillating!

Mibbes Aye
12-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Thursday brings another humdinger in India vs NZ. Potential final here.

The weather could have a big influence on this game.

I am backing India to win a very competitive game. NZ are good but India are stronger with bat and ball.

hfc rd
13-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Thursday brings another humdinger in India vs NZ. Potential final here.

The weather could have a big influence on this game.

I am backing India to win a very competitive game. NZ are good but India are stronger with bat and ball.

Another one bites the dust 😒

I really hope the weather in Manchester this Sunday is good. I will be absolutely raging if that game gets called off!

Mibbes Aye
13-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Another one bites the dust 😒

I really hope the weather in Manchester this Sunday is good. I will be absolutely raging if that game gets called off!

Fingers crossed it goes ahead, it should be a fantastic experience.

One advantage of this WC format is it guarantees at least one game between these two teams.

Mibbes Aye
13-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Some good games lost to the weather so far.

Friday brings England against the Windies at Southampton.

The weather is certainly now the main factor. Lots of rain early morning but it looks to dry up from late morning onwards so I’m hopeful we get some play, even if reduced overs.

I think Windies will be champing at the bit for this game. Gayle, Hope and Hetmyer are all due big and expansive innings. The fast bowlers have looked up for it as well.

It’s hard to see England not being too strong though, they have the explosive batting that runs for miles and decent bowling, though there must be question marks about their capabilities in the spin department.

If it goes ahead, England to edge it, though I would love to see the Windies take a scalp here and they have the players to do so.

lord bunberry
13-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Some good games lost to the weather so far.

Friday brings England against the Windies at Southampton.

The weather is certainly now the main factor. Lots of rain early morning but it looks to dry up from late morning onwards so I’m hopeful we get some play, even if reduced overs.

I think Windies will be champing at the bit for this game. Gayle, Hope and Hetmyer are all due big and expansive innings. The fast bowlers have looked up for it as well.

It’s hard to see England not being too strong though, they have the explosive batting that runs for miles and decent bowling, though there must be question marks about their capabilities in the spin department.

If it goes ahead, England to edge it, though I would love to see the Windies take a scalp here and they have the players to do so.
The Windies need to be more disciplined to beat a well oiled machine like England. Hopefully the weather plays the game as it has the makings of a cracker with two teams that are capable of posting huge totals.

weecounty hibby
15-06-2019, 08:12 PM
Australia are looking pretty ominous.

hfc rd
15-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Now it’s time for the big one tomorrow! Come on India!!

It’s simple, we play to our very best then we should be too good for Pakistan. Of course on their day, they are a very dangerous outfit but they lack consistency. I’m confident we will win although they will make it tough.

Reckon if India win, then the present top 4 should make it through to semi finals baring a major slip up. Easily the best 4 strongest sides in the competition.

Jeete ga bhai jeete ga... Apna/hamara India jeete ga!!! 🇮🇳

Mibbes Aye
15-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Australia are looking pretty ominous.

They are pretty consistent so far. I think they have benefitted from Finch having a very good tourney, with the strength of Smith and Warner still to be fully demonstrated. Throw in a great batting cameo like Coulter-Nile and some decent batting from Carey and you can see why they are setting decent totals. And that’s without big contributions from the likes of Cummins who can throw the bat around, though maybe more so in Test cricket. Khawaja has struggled though and it is hard to see how he justifies his place.

Bowling-wise, Starc showed just how effective he can be today and he is backed up by decent pace men, most especially Cummins. It’s been interesting that Australia haven’t gone for spin as heavily as other teams.

I forgot to post a prediction for today’s game yesterday but would have gone with Australia if I had. Sri Lanka shone for a couple of periods but the difference in strength was transparent

Mibbes Aye
15-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Now it’s time for the big one tomorrow! Come on India!!

It’s simple, we play to our very best then we should be too good for Pakistan. Of course on their day, they are a very dangerous outfit but they lack consistency. I’m confident we will win although they will make it tough.

Reckon if India win, then the present top 4 should make it through to semi finals baring a major slip up. Easily the best 4 strongest sides in the competition.

Jeete ga bhai jeete ga... Apna/hamara India jeete ga!!! 🇮🇳

This is the game we all want to see!

Looks like a chance of light showers, especially later in the day but not enough to risk cancellation.

I am with you, emotion will strengthen Pakistan but India are much stronger in every department and should see the win out.

South Africa’s crash has meant that I also agree that NZ will replace them in the likely top four, along with England, India and Australia. NZ were always the strongest of the outsiders and that has been reflected in results but their run-in is more challenging. But points on the board are points on the board.

marinello59
15-06-2019, 11:10 PM
This is the game we all want to see!

Looks like a chance of light showers, especially later in the day but not enough to risk cancellation.

I am with you, emotion will strengthen Pakistan but India are much stronger in every department and should see the win out.

South Africa’s crash has meant that I also agree that NZ will replace them in the likely top four, along with England, India and Australia. NZ were always the strongest of the outsiders and that has been reflected in results but their run-in is more challenging. But points on the board are points on the board.

Remember the ICC final. India were huge favourites. I think Pakistan are stronger now. It could be a closer game than we think.

Mibbes Aye
15-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Remember the ICC final. India were huge favourites. I think Pakistan are stronger now. It could be a closer game than we think.

Yes, absolutely. When Pakistan click they have the beating of anybody in the world.

hfc rd
16-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Cheerio Pakistan! 👋🇵🇰😊

Pakistan comfortably brushed aside with ease. When they are good, they are a very tough side to beat. However when they are bad they really are an extremely poor side. At the same time, I personally don’t think we were even at our best today tbh. Kohli seemed to be pulling his hair out at times with some of our play. Against a better side, we could have easily been punished. However can’t complain when you beat your rivals yet again!

7-0 😁

Mibbes Aye
16-06-2019, 11:15 PM
A stately progression for India today, sharper in all departments, despite the nagging sense that they can bat more explosively if required and despite losing Kumar in the bowling attack.

Very impressed with their running, I suspect that adds more than a few runs to their total.

Definite differences in the bowling, India were bowling a fuller length and benefitted accordingly, Rohit and Kohli took advantage of Pakistan bowling shorter and worked the ball square to good effect.

Hopefully Kumar isn’t drastically affected, he really is a very good player and I want to see more of him in this tournament.

Pakistan need to think seriously about strategy and tactics. Having failed to make a breakthrough in the first ten overs, the heads went down. There has been a fair bit variation in team selection as well - it’s a curse and an understandable one, that plagues cricket teams who are struggling for consistency.

Mibbes Aye
16-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Monday brings Bangladesh against Windies at Taunton. Good possibility of light showers early on but hopefully not enough to restrict play.

The fact that there is going to be a bit of dampness in the air, with increasing temperatures and a moderate breeze may well serve the offspin of Bangladesh.

Its a must-win for Windies I feel, if they are to grasp a top four spot and IIRC Taunton is quite a tight ground, which Gayle, Hetmyer et al will relish.

But they have struggled against Bangladeshi spin in the past.

I’ve really wanted Windies to flourish in this tournament and they haven’t quite kicked on yet, though arguably they have had some bad luck with weather and had a tough enough draw so far.

Lots of doubt about just how fit Andre Russell is as well, so I’m going for Bangladesh to win this match

LALthehibeeGAL
17-06-2019, 04:21 PM
A stately progression for India today, sharper in all departments, despite the nagging sense that they can bat more explosively if required and despite losing Kumar in the bowling attack.

Very impressed with their running, I suspect that adds more than a few runs to their total.

Definite differences in the bowling, India were bowling a fuller length and benefitted accordingly, Rohit and Kohli took advantage of Pakistan bowling shorter and worked the ball square to good effect.

Hopefully Kumar isn’t drastically affected, he really is a very good player and I want to see more of him in this tournament.

Pakistan need to think seriously about strategy and tactics. Having failed to make a breakthrough in the first ten overs, the heads went down. There has been a fair bit variation in team selection as well - it’s a curse and an understandable one, that plagues cricket teams who are struggling for consistency.

We are going to the game on 1st July between WIndies -v- Sri Lanka - I was hoping by that time it would be big game decider on which of these two may sneak a top four slot but alas the WIndies have been poor so far Gayle out for a duck today !!! I love him but he is hot and cold - really hope the game goes ahead as this will no doubt be Gayle;s last time playing for his national team. Was hoping it was a game with something both teams have to play for but might end up being a bit of a nothing game!! ATM the top three seem pretty much as is and I think is unlikely to change but fourth place I think by the end of this week will no doubt be clearer.

Lal

Mibbes Aye
17-06-2019, 10:36 PM
Bangladesh pretty impressive today in easing to victory with plenty balls to spare. It leaves them still in with a shout of top four though it won’t be easy.

Windies suffered with their bowling. The lack of effective spin, Russell playing through injury and Thomas suffering some horrible overs let Bangladesh build those big, match-winning innings.

Mibbes Aye
17-06-2019, 10:51 PM
We are going to the game on 1st July between WIndies -v- Sri Lanka - I was hoping by that time it would be big game decider on which of these two may sneak a top four slot but alas the WIndies have been poor so far Gayle out for a duck today !!! I love him but he is hot and cold - really hope the game goes ahead as this will no doubt be Gayle;s last time playing for his national team. Was hoping it was a game with something both teams have to play for but might end up being a bit of a nothing game!! ATM the top three seem pretty much as is and I think is unlikely to change but fourth place I think by the end of this week will no doubt be clearer.

Lal

We are down for a long weekend, SAF-SRL on the Friday and Windies-SRL on the Monday. Kind of like you I was hoping I would be seeing some genuinely important games in deciding top four, probably more so SAF and Windies than SRL.

While it is disappointing that games have been rained off, it does alter the final table as there will be teams who gained a point where they expected to gain two or gain none.

Gayle is due a big, big innings and I think that’s achievable against SRL. Likewise Hope and Hetmyer now showing what they are capable of and Holder batted explosively.

In attack, the pace bowlers can be brilliant on their day and hopefully Russell is able to recover fitness.

Mibbes Aye
17-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Tuesday brings England against Afghanistan at Old Trafford. The weather forecast is dry but with a good chance of showers from late afternoon onwards.

England are without the firebrand opener, Jason Roy, and may also lack their captain, Eoin Morgan, while doubts persist about Adil Rashid’s fitness, crucial on a track that looks like it will suit spin.

Meanwhile Afghanistan can field Rashid Khan, the sublime young talent who is already one of the best spinners in the game today, with a couple of colleagues who offer variety in that regard also.

I am convinced that Afghanistan will get at least one victory in this tournament and England have form, having lost to Scotland, Ireland and Netherlands in recent times.

I just can’t see beyond an England victory though. They have a bit of momentum and they have the strength in all departments, notwithstanding their injury woes.

They are also steadily improving against spin, which had been a weakness in the past.

lord bunberry
18-06-2019, 12:45 PM
That was some innings from Morgan. 148 from 71 balls, wow.

lord bunberry
18-06-2019, 01:04 PM
England set Afghanistan 398 to win, game on :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
18-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Quite the game at Old Trafford.

I thought Afghanistan bowled relatively well initially but fielded poorly. James Vince, in for Jason Roy, did that James Vince thing where you think, “...Oh, he looks decent” and then he gets out in the twenties yet again.

Despite great knocks by Bairstow and Root, the England innings has to be all about Morgan. He made more records than Motown today and it was an absolute pleasure to watch him dispatching sixes in all directions. Also a handy reminder of England’s strength - Roy should return in a game or two and he, Buttler and maybe Bairstow would be expected to be the most free-scoring batsmen, with Stokes also capable of a very good knock, Root steady at his end and a strongish tail with the likes of Woakes and Moeen.

For the Afghanistan attack it was a rough day for Rashid. He is such a young talent but he got hammered today. Don’t think he started as early in the innings as he could have. Still, he has time on his side. I think Shane Warne’s Test debut saw him going for something like 1-114, against one of the sub-continent teams. Credit to Musheeb though, he bowled tight and well.

As for the Afghan batting, I heard some criticism that they weren’t attacking enough. I think that’s unfair. They hadn’t batted through fifty overs in a match at this CWC yet and to do that against the tournament favourites with a strong attack, with both pace and spin, must help with their confidence.

lord bunberry
18-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Quite the game at Old Trafford.

I thought Afghanistan bowled relatively well initially but fielded poorly. James Vince, in for Jason Roy, did that James Vince thing where you think, “...Oh, he looks decent” and then he gets out in the twenties yet again.

Despite great knocks by Bairstow and Root, the England innings has to be all about Morgan. He made more records than Motown today and it was an absolute pleasure to watch him dispatching sixes in all directions. Also a handy reminder of England’s strength - Roy should return in a game or two and he, Buttler and maybe Bairstow would be expected to be the most free-scoring batsmen, with Stokes also capable of a very good knock, Root steady at his end and a strongish tail with the likes of Woakes and Moeen.

For the Afghanistan attack it was a rough day for Rashid. He is such a young talent but he got hammered today. Don’t think he started as early in the innings as he could have. Still, he has time on his side. I think Shane Warne’s Test debut saw him going for something like 1-114, against one of the sub-continent teams. Credit to Musheeb though, he bowled tight and well.

As for the Afghan batting, I heard some criticism that they weren’t attacking enough. I think that’s unfair. They hadn’t batted through fifty overs in a match at this CWC yet and to do that against the tournament favourites with a strong attack, with both pace and spin, must help with their confidence.
I agree about Rashid, he had a torrid time today, but he is without doubt the number 1 spinner in T20 and amongst the best in the one day format. He won’t be the first to go for a lot of runs in this World Cup, but he has the talent to come through it.

Mibbes Aye
18-06-2019, 11:45 PM
Wednesday brings us New Zealand against South Africa at Edgbaston. Decent chance of showers until early afternoon, but nothing to suggest a washout.

I’m torn with this one. NZ have started really well but their games have been against the weaker teams. On the one hand that could mean they have had a chance to play their way in, on the other hand it could mean they are in for a rude awakening. At the start of the tournament I had them as the best outwith the top four and they know how to navigate towards a CWC semi-final.

The team they are most likely to replace in my top four prediction is of course South Africa. Cruelly unlucky to lose two out of their three-pronged pace attack that stands comparison with anybody else in the world.

Ngidi is back for this game though, to lend some much-needed support to Rabada. Saying that, Rabada has excellent figures against the Kiwis. And the weather conditions might just suit Tahir for this game.

As for NZ, lots of strength at the top of the order, some questions about the strength of the middle order. An interesting battle should be that between Trent Boult and Quintin De Kock. Boult hasn’t got great figures in this tournament but has a very decent record against QDK, who is pretty much SAF’s most dangerous batsman.

As I say, torn about this one. My instinct is that SAF are coming out of a dip and will start to climb, whereas NZ have a tough set of games coming up. I am going for SAF in what could be a very close game.

This post shouldn’t pass without mention of the women’s game and the T20 match between Rwanda and Mali. Poor Mali were bowled out for a paltry six runs. Even worse, only one came from the bat, with the other five being extras. Incredibly, they hung about for nine overs! Unsurprisingly, the Rwandan openers quickly secured victory within an over or two I believe.

hfc rd
19-06-2019, 06:34 PM
South Africa’s fielding has been awful. De Grandhomme & Williamson should both be out now. Schoolboy errors.

Only have themselves to blame if they don’t win this to keep their slim World Cup hopes alive.

weecounty hibby
19-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Great end to the match. Williamson is an excellent player

Mibbes Aye
20-06-2019, 12:05 AM
Well, a very close game it was too.

SAF must be kicking themselves. Not reviewing what looked like would have been a wicket for Tahir, spilling a couple of easy catches, and David Miller just missing out on two difficult ones in consecutive balls - and all of this in the closing stages! And a few other opportunities as well!

I thought Ngidi was excellent on his return from injury. He and Rabada look set to become a formidable opening bowling pair and for cricket’s sake hopefully they avoid injuries as much as possible.

Two points for NZ though but the first signs that they might level off now the serious games are coming in. Boult bowling QDK early on was vital, as was the batting of de Grandhomme, but it was a patient and peerless innings from Kane Williamson.

Mibbes Aye
20-06-2019, 12:22 AM
And Thursday brings Australia against Bangladesh at Trent Bridge. The weather at Nottingham looks reasonable, chance of a shower or two around lunchtime but set fair otherwise.

A victory for Australia would seal a semi-final spot, I think, maybe not mathematically but based on the likely results in the remaining fixtures. Also important as the Aussies have a potentially challenging run-in after this with England, NZ and SAF to come. For Bangladesh it feels like they need one scalp at least from the supposed top four, plus doing the business against Afghanistan and Pakistan to be in with a shout.

Australia appear likely to rotate the team again, which Justin Langer states he feels is appropriate and sensible. I think Bangladesh are great and are progressing massively as a side, but I think the Australians have just too much firepower with bat and ball, and of course are very sharp fielders. I’m giving this one to Australia.

hfc rd
20-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Australia coasting towards victory.

If England win tomorrow and India do the business on Saturday, that should be the semi finalists pretty much sorted. I’ll be shocked if that is not the lineup as those 4 just look too strong for the other 6 teams.

weecounty hibby
20-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Australia looking very good indeed.

Mibbes Aye
21-06-2019, 12:40 AM
So, definitely Australia’s best performance at bat yet, the strike rates all looking very healthy and Warner showing he is back.

I’m not sure what the mood between Khuwaja and Maxwell will be like after the former left the latter stranded and run out after a blistering start by GM. I’m not a Khuwaja fan at the best of times and he has faced lots of criticism for his weight and ponderousness, which chimed with Maxwell’s dismissal. Still, in UK’s favour, 89 from 72 is a good effort and one he definitely needed.

Hard going in the field for the Bangladesh team, everyone struggled, but Soumya can look back on some big wickets.

I thought Bangladesh made a decent fist of replying to what was a hard ask. Decent strike rates again and some good innings posted. I thought a telling moment was the over when Mitchell Starc took out Tamim IIRC, who had been motoring along nicely, with the first ball of his over. Second ball he absolutely clattered Liton Das in the helmet.

Starc has been bowling very well this tourney, repeatedly getting into the nineties and posing all sorts of problems for batsmen.

Mibbes Aye
21-06-2019, 12:55 AM
Friday brings England against Sri Lanka at Headingley. Weather looks good so we should see a full day’s play.

Victory here would pretty much guarantee England’s place in the semis though I think they are clearly going to be there already.

Sri Lanka I think still could posit an outside chance but it would involve some unlikely results, I will have to check the table!

For England, Vince looks likely to stay in place of Roy for this game. Any odds on him making a masterful score into the twenties, including a couple of sumptuous cover drives, then got out due to a failure of technique? :greengrin

That’s admittedly harsh and I wouldn’t mind him getting a decent knock, he is a classy batsmen when he is good.

For SRL, more speculation about changes in the batting order which are never healthy ahead of a game. It’s not been a great tournament for them so far but they do have some very good players in that team. They would have to combine and produce their best performances to beat England, probably along with some drastic collapse in the English team.

Can’t see it. So much depth in batting, a potent pace attack and decent spin, and good fielding makes it an England win for me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2019, 12:47 PM
England strangling the life out of Sri Lanka so far, 133-4 in the 30th over.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2019, 12:48 PM
133-5

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Sri Lanka bowling really well here, at least they're making a fist of it. Another couple of quick wickets could make things interesting. Eng 90-3 in the 25th over.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Root gone, England 127-4, making a bit of a mess of this chase.

Radium
21-06-2019, 04:24 PM
170-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfc rd
21-06-2019, 04:31 PM
England living dangerously here

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Another wicket down. 178-8

hfc rd
21-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Woakes and Rashid both out!

Sri Lanka on the verge of pulling off a major shock!

weecounty hibby
21-06-2019, 04:38 PM
English batting has been shocking. Some really shocking shots and decision making

hfc rd
21-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Archer now gone

186-9

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2019, 04:54 PM
England under pressure in their last 3 games now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2019, 04:57 PM
English batting has been shocking. Some really shocking shots and decision making

Ali's decision to go for an unnecessary 2nd six got the ball rolling, needless shot at the time.

weecounty hibby
21-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Stokes is going to be left high and dry here due to some of the other batters terrible play

hfc rd
21-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Two back to back sixes from Stokes.

weecounty hibby
21-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Getting exciting. Loads of pressure on Stokes. He is capable of winning this though

hfc rd
21-06-2019, 05:07 PM
Stokes has turned this game right round

Back to back boundaries

hfc rd
21-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Sri Lanka have won it!

What a huge win that is when it looked like Stokes was going to win it for England

weecounty hibby
21-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Middle order were a disgrace today. So many poor shots when all they had to do was bat out the overs and a win would have been a certainty.

Mibbes Aye
21-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Quite the result from Headingley. Sri Lanka worked hard, Mathews in particular, to eke out their 232 in the face of some decent bowling, especially from Archer and Wood.

On a slow wicket, England’s shot selection with the bat was appalling though. Yet that shouldn’t detract from the SRL bowlers, with Malinga once again demonstrating his class, even late on in his career. A good few others in the Sri Lanka team stepped up as well, great performance.

England losing just opens the door a little, given they still have to face Australia, New Zealand and India. Sri Lanka face South Africa, Windies and India. England are the stronger side without a doubt but would take Sri Lanka’s run-in over their own in a heartbeat I suspect.

Mibbes Aye
22-06-2019, 12:18 AM
Saturday brings us two interesting games.

Southampton hosts Afghanistan against India. Weather forecast is near enough perfect.

For India it will be interesting to see whether the replacement batsman and extraordinary young talent Rishabh Pant goes straight into the team. If Vijay Shankar hasn’t recovered from injury it’s a certainty. In the bowling Mohammed Shami gets to stake a claim in the absence of Kumar, who will be out for a couple of games.

For Afghanistan, things have been difficult internally. Their big strength is the quality of their spin attack. Unfortunately they are playing India who are masters of that game. I don’t think India have lost a wicket to spin yet in this CWC. Nevertheless I hope Rashid Khan gets a chance to show his skills after a rough pummelling from England.

Verdict - can’t see beyond India for this one.

Travelling north, we have a day-nighter at Old Trafford with New Zealand against the Windies.

Slightly tougher one to call, NZ have been getting the results but the Windies can blow anyone away if enough of them all click on the same day!

Regards team selection it will be interesting to see if NZ bring in Nicholls at the top of the order, he is very strong against the short ball and that’s what the Windies will be sending down. For the Windies it looks like Andre Russell will miss out, and if he does play he surely can’t be close to full fitness.

The Windies need the victory here to keep that very, very slender hope of top four still alive (though I don’t think it will ever be in their hands anyway) but I can’t see beyond NZ for this one, and possibly Trent Boult to do rather well - he has an outstanding record against his upcoming opponents.

hfc rd
22-06-2019, 09:26 AM
India win today and I am confident that we are through to the semi finals. Should confidently win if we play our game. Don’t take Afghanistan lightly. If we do, it will make it for an uncomfortable day.

hfc rd
22-06-2019, 11:32 AM
FFS, this is a brutal batting performance by India! Idiots need to get their fingers out or we are going to get embarrassed here.

Absolutely pathetic so far!

hfc rd
22-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Get in there! Phew! Safe to say our bowlers won it for us after our abysmal batting performance.

Mo Shami with a wicket hattrick to win it for us but Jasprit Bumrah was terrific! He virtually changed the game in our favour.

A scrappy win but a win is a win and we remain unbeaten.

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!! 🇮🇳

Mibbes Aye
23-06-2019, 12:02 AM
Two excellent games IMO.

In the shorter versions of the game a lot of attention is paid to who can bat explosively. In this CWC there has also been much attention drawn to some outstanding fielding.

Bowling is often neglected and in the Afghanistan-India game I thought we saw terrific bowling from both sides, simply top-class.

India deserved their win but had more than a little fright there. Afghanistan should win lots of friends with their performances. Great game to watch.

New Zealand against the Windies was a very different game in many respects but a belter too, nevertheless.

There were a few swings of momentum in this match but NZ edged it in terms of performance. I will see the Windies next weekend and I’m hoping they will be up for it against a Sri Lankan side with still a bit to play for.

Mibbes Aye
23-06-2019, 12:11 AM
Get in there! Phew! Safe to say our bowlers won it for us after our abysmal batting performance.

Mo Shami with a wicket hattrick to win it for us but Jasprit Bumrah was terrific! He virtually changed the game in our favour.

A scrappy win but a win is a win and we remain unbeaten.

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!! ����

Great bowling from both sides. The two Afghans to bowl ten overs had a combined economy rate of 3.2 while Nani and Gulbadin’s four wickets came at 4.67 an over combined.

That is tremendous in normal terms but against India is pretty much phenomenal.

For India, Shami’s hat-trick was eye-catching, but you are right, Bumrah’s double wicket maiden broke the back of the Afghans, and overall he demonstrated why he has the right to lay claim to being the best pace bowler in the world, despite his insanely short run-up!

I thought Chahal deserved credit too, he made a difference.

Interesting question for me is whether Shankar gets punted for Punt (excuse the pun). Virat looked livid when Shankar didn’t make the run for a catch, though Shankar has the excuse of being an injury doubt for this match. With Indian qualification pretty much signed, sealed and delivered I would like to see Punt get a chance in the middle.

Mibbes Aye
23-06-2019, 12:34 AM
Sunday takes us to Lord’s and Pakistan against South Africa, the epitome of an ‘interesting’ match!

Both sides are technically still in it I believe, but would need to win all their remaining games and rely on other results going their way. That’s not impossible - there are a good few match-ups between the leading teams to come.

Travails amongst the top order have been problematic for both teams, with neither side really seeing their top threes consistently kick on. Nevertheless there is a seam of quality running through both sides.

While Pakistan can run rampant on a good day, I see more strength in the SAF side with three or four batsmen who know how to make big, big scores at this level. They also have Ngidi reunited with Rabada. Ngidi showed just how effective he could be on his return from injury the other day.

Decent weather expected at Lord’s, possibly better to be batting second. I’m going for South Africa for this one.

Mibbes Aye
24-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Forgot to post last night! Dear, oh dear, South Africa. I really think it would make no odds if Dale Steyn had been fit, the batters just aren’t performing anywhere near the levels they are capable of.

As for today’s game I would have predicted a Bangladeshi win (honest, guv). Curious decision at the toss and sadly, it looks like the enormously-talented but very, very raw Rashid Khan is struggling a bit in this CWC. His time will come, in bucket loads I suspect.

Mibbes Aye
24-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Tuesday brings us England against Australia at Lord’s, a real showtime game in this league stage.

After Bangladesh’s win against Afghanistan, there might just be the odd bit of trepidation in the England ranks. If they lose this one then they go into the final two games with both them and Bangladesh facing India, and England facing NZ in the other while Bangladesh meet Pakistan. We shall see.

Jason Roy being out is a huge blow for England, no two ways about it. If they end up bowling first I think they will still fancy themselves to chase Australia - there are a good half dozen or so players in that England team who can go big with runs and quickly.

In the bowling, Woakes, Wood And Archer look the part and it wouldn’t surprise me to see a fourth seamer with maybe Rashid dropping out, if only because Moeen offers more with the bat.

For Australia, it feels a bit like a high-powered sports car that hasn’t been driven for a while and is sounding just about there but not quite firing on all cylinders.

Warner and Smith both look like they are still getting themselves back into nick, but crucially it does look like they are getting themselves back into nick. Warner’s innings against Bangladesh is unfortunately for him the sort of yardstick you use. He should be achieving that far more frequently :greengrin

In the attack, Starc in particular and Cummins have been impressive and I’ve also liked the way Finch has been using them. There’s maybe not quite as much depth outwith those two as Australia would have liked. Should be a different story for the Ashes when one hopes Hazlewood and Lyon return.

Tough one to call and as ever, so much depends on the toss, but I’ve got that wrong previously. While I have a sneaking suspicion England will find the wherewithal to win this game I am going to go with Australia. I think whoever bowls first has a slight advantage but they still have to capitalise on it and that’s not a given.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Aussies have carried a wee bit of luck here, England sloppy in the field and up against it, Aussies 152-1 in the 28th over.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Aussies now 228-5 after 42 overs, England dragging themselves back into things.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 12:42 PM
250-6

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 12:55 PM
263-7 after 48 overs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 01:05 PM
285-7 after 1st innings.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Vince out, England 0-1

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 02:17 PM
What a mess! 30-3.

marinello59
25-06-2019, 02:45 PM
And it gets worse, 53-4.
Australia look like tournament winners to me whilst England look like a team lacking confidence.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2019, 05:06 PM
England pumped, they'll struggle to qualify now.

weecounty hibby
25-06-2019, 07:17 PM
I have been saying for a while now but the Australians are looking very very good. England once again flattering to deceive. Bated poorly and instead of still going for it and throwing the bat about after loosing early wickets they should have steadied the ship for a few overs. Poor stuff from them, will need to win v NZ and India now and that is a very tough ask

Mibbes Aye
26-06-2019, 12:06 AM
An entertaining game today I thought.

Despite the result I thought England were right to bowl first but I also accept Australia weren’t unhappy to lose the toss. On such intricacies is cricket made.

Australia posted a reasonable total but one that England would have fancied matching, though they have recently acquired the knack of losing run chases, which had been their forte.

Finch has had a marvellous tournament so far and been the keystone for Australian success. I’m sure Warner has appreciated that, and Smith too, as it has relieved the necessity for them to provide the fireworks, as they assimilate themselves back into international cricket.

That notwithstanding, Maxwell, Carey and Smith all posted impressive strike rates - in ODI it’s not necessarily about the number of runs, it’s about the speed of runs.

As for England’s batting I think the fielding needs equal acknowledgement to the bowling. Khawaja and Cummins both showed up and contributed to key dismissals. Maxwell offloading to Finch was balletic, were it not for the case that we know Australia practice those sort of hand-offs all the time. It still takes skill however and Maxwell is sublime, as was shown a few years back with his viral catch, juggle, throw-in before he crossed the line, crossed the line, came back in and took a fair catch.

As for the bowling, a tactical master stroke in bringing in Jason Behrendorff who ended up with a five-for, England struggled to make sense of him. I’m sure on another thread somebody, sorry I can’t remember, who had seen him play a bit in Aus was talking him up - you were right!

At the same time, Mitchell Starc was sublime. Again, he is producing it at a CWC and again just by doing what he does, more often than not a very disciplined yorker. He took key wickets in this game, Stokes especially with a beaut.

Overall, I think there was something to be said for Australia pitching a bit fuller when they bowled, England got caught out by bowling too short, especially to the opening pair.

Moving on, still doubts about Jason Roy’s fitness, and new doubts about Stokes and Archer. That doesn’t bode well for a tough run-in against India and NZ.

I’m at Sri Lanka against South Africa on Friday. At the start of the tournament I expected this to be SAF seeking to confirm their place in the top four. Now it could be SRL pushing themselves into the semis.

Mibbes Aye
26-06-2019, 12:32 AM
Wednesday brings New Zealand against Pakistan at Edgbaston.

Every stat suggests it should be NZ, they are playing well.

Possibility of a bit of mugginess in the weather tomorrow though and Pakistan need a win to make their unlikely top four bid a possibility let alone a reality.

Going out on a limb and I’m backing Pakistan.

If nothing else it keeps the drama going for the last couple of rounds of games. The format attracted some criticism before the start but I think, on the whole, it has been great.

I also think it is improving - it is a bit like the first round of the football World Cup where suddenly the final group games become massively intense. I think the coming days will produce some belters.

Mibbes Aye
26-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Lal

Could be a bit of drama for this game yet. SRL need the win on Friday first, against South Africa.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2019, 11:20 AM
NZ 38-3, England could do without this.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2019, 11:37 AM
46-4

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2019, 02:04 PM
209-5 after 47 overs, decent comeback, could be an interesting chase if NZ can get to 240-250.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2019, 02:20 PM
237-6, Pakistan should win, could be quite close though.

LALthehibeeGAL
26-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Could be a bit of drama for this game yet. SRL need the win on Friday first, against South Africa.

yes here's hoping makes it interesting then

fingers crossed

any other fellow netters going to WI v SL game? or any others

cheers
Lal:wink:

Mibbes Aye
26-06-2019, 02:57 PM

fingers crossed

cheers

Me and Ms Mibbes will be there, long weekend taking in the SAF-SRL game on the Friday. Would have liked to have done more, especially now in hindsight, but we are at two of the Ashes Tests and something had to give.

If SRL get a result against SAF and if the weather is good on the 1st it should be a cracker of a day.

LALthehibeeGAL
26-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Me and Ms Mibbes will be there, long weekend taking in the SAF-SRL game on the Friday. Would have liked to have done more, especially now in hindsight, but we are at two of the Ashes Tests and something had to give.

If SRL get a result against SAF and if the weather is good on the 1st it should be a cracker of a day.

Yes it should be here's hoping SL get a good result making it a game to play for on the 1st - by all accounts they should beat SAF but there has been a few surprises en route - Me and Mr Lal only there for the two nights head down Sun back Tues due to work commitments but still a break is a break hope it's nice weather last couple of attempts at going to an ODI have been rained off!.

Cheers
Lal :wink:

hfc rd
26-06-2019, 04:53 PM

fingers crossed

cheers

Going to the India vs England game. Leaving Saturday afternoon with the Mrs. She ain’t a cricket fan, so is just going to spend the day at the Bullring shopping centre whilst I cheer on India at Edgbaston!!

Cannot wait!

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!! 🇮🇳

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-06-2019, 05:40 PM
Pak 183-3 with 10.1 overs to go, strolling towards the win.

Mibbes Aye
27-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Stunning result for Pakistan and the fight for fourth is very much open!

Thursday brings us Windies against India. Hard to see past India cementing their bid to finish top of the group.

hfc rd
27-06-2019, 05:01 PM
India do the business yet again and we are the only unbeaten side left in the World Cup! 😁

The thing that pleases me the most is that not only, as history tells you, that we are very good at batting but we are a very dangerous fielding side as well now. This is something that hasn’t been the case for some time as we have always been renowned for being a good batting team but our fielding at times in the past has really let us down. We’ve got some proper strength in depth in that department and for me some of the best fielders in the World.

I’m off to the game against England this weekend and it’s going to be a real proper party atmosphere as all India cricket games are! Chance to officially cement our place in the semi finals and really pile the pressure on England! 😁

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!!! 🇮🇳 ❤️

Mibbes Aye
28-06-2019, 12:27 AM
India do the business yet again and we are the only unbeaten side left in the World Cup! ��

The thing that pleases me the most is that not only, as history tells you, that we are very good at batting but we are a very dangerous fielding side as well now. This is something that hasn’t been the case for some time as we have always been renowned for being a good batting team but our fielding at times in the past has really let us down. We’ve got some proper strength in depth in that department and for me some of the best fielders in the World.

I’m off to the game against England this weekend and it’s going to be a real proper party atmosphere as all India cricket games are! Chance to officially cement our place in the semi finals and really pile the pressure on England! ��

Chak De India, Chak De Mera India!!!! ���� ❤️

A very comfortable victory for India today. Bumrah was outstanding and Shami too, snagging the key wickets of Gayle, Hope and Hetmyer.

For the Windies I was pleased to see Kemar Roach have success bowling. He was an injury doubt for this tournament having had to carry a massive load in the Test series against England. He really comes across as someone who just loves the fact he is playing international cricket.

One of the striking things in the game for me was the number of overturned umpire decisions, I think I counted three at least? That’s quite high, and while at least one was very difficult to call, at least one other looked pretty clear cut.

As for the fielding, I agree, I think India have sharpened up. I don’t think they are quite as fine-tuned as Australia, but the Aussies really have taken it to a whole new level.

Mibbes Aye
28-06-2019, 12:45 AM
Friday brings us Sri Lanka against South Africa at Chester-le-Street. I’m down in Newcastle for a long weekend to attend this game and the Windies against Sri Lanka on Monday. Looking forward to both, at one stage they were looking like dead rubbers but England’s woes mean that the Sri Lankans are right in it. Those abandoned games could have been won but equally could have been lost, so I think two points from them would have been happily taken at the start of the tournament.

South Africa are out, that’s not going to change. Even with the absence of Steyn, they still have a formidable attack with Rabada, Ngidi and the impossibly youthful Tahir. The batting has been dismal though. It feels like it has to click at some point - there are three or four top-class batsmen in there.

Contrarily, Sri Lanka have the batters and in the veteran Malinga, they also have a pace bowler with the ability to break through the defences of accomplished batsmen. I’m looking forward to seeing the all-rounder Thisara Perera. He can blow hot and cold but when he blows hot he is scintillating.

While I think SAF are pound-for-pound a stronger team, Sri Lanka need a win here to push for top four. They also have received permission from ICC to wear their ‘lucky’ yellow jerseys.

On that basis, I’m going for Sri Lanka as a win for them keeps the pot boiling in the race for a semi-final place.

JeMeSouviens
28-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Friday brings us Sri Lanka against South Africa at Chester-le-Street. I’m down in Newcastle for a long weekend to attend this game and the Windies against Sri Lanka on Monday. Looking forward to both, at one stage they were looking like dead rubbers but England’s woes mean that the Sri Lankans are right in it. Those abandoned games could have been won but equally could have been lost, so I think two points from them would have been happily taken at the start of the tournament.

South Africa are out, that’s not going to change. Even with the absence of Steyn, they still have a formidable attack with Rabada, Ngidi and the impossibly youthful Tahir. The batting has been dismal though. It feels like it has to click at some point - there are three or four top-class batsmen in there.

Contrarily, Sri Lanka have the batters and in the veteran Malinga, they also have a pace bowler with the ability to break through the defences of accomplished batsmen. I’m looking forward to seeing the all-rounder Thisara Perera. He can blow hot and cold but when he blows hot he is scintillating.

While I think SAF are pound-for-pound a stronger team, Sri Lanka need a win here to push for top four. They also have received permission from ICC to wear their ‘lucky’ yellow jerseys.

On that basis, I’m going for Sri Lanka as a win for them keeps the pot boiling in the race for a semi-final place.

I think you're right. Enjoy the game!

Mibbes Aye
28-06-2019, 10:48 AM
I think you're right. Enjoy the game!

Cheers. Gorgeous day here in Chester-le-Street, near enough a sell out, reckon it will be as the day goes on.

Sri Lanka coping with the SAF bowling to an extent but find themselves at 72-3. I reckon they still have it in them to accelerate and then it is all about how SAF stand up to Malinga et al

EDIT 83-3 and not good to have lost three wickets but the run rate is looking healthy

Mibbes Aye
28-06-2019, 11:27 AM
SAF really strangling SRL at the moment with some very tight bowling. The boundaries aren’t long here but it feels like a bowling wicket, hot, dry and a fluctuating breeze.

Mibbes Aye
28-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Absolutely bizarre moment towards the end of the SRL innings where everyone on the field just layed down flat, including the umpires. Crowd didn’t have a clue what was going on, my initial thought was it was maybe some serious commemoration for something.

Turned out it was a random bee swarm.......

JeMeSouviens
28-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Well, so much for our cricket forecasting. :greengrin

The real SA show up much too late.

Mibbes Aye
28-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Well, so much for our cricket forecasting. :greengrin

The real SA show up much too late.

Much like football, cricket is a totally different experience live, as opposed to TV or radio. This was my first game live in a year and I had forgotten the difference. A very different perspective.

South Africa fielded verociously and bowled very tight lines. It was a pleasure to watch Rabada. He has ten to fifteen years ahead of him, hopefully he steers clear of injury, but he can and will be one of the best pace bowlers in the world.

Sri Lanka were very disappointing. For a team chasing a top four place they looked disinterested.

I thought they would take the opportunity they had and push on and I thought SAF wouldn’t surmount their own huge flaws.

Called it wrong though, and SAF came good against a SRL team who weren’t strong enough.

JeMeSouviens
29-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Absolutely bizarre moment towards the end of the SRL innings where everyone on the field just layed down flat, including the umpires. Crowd didn’t have a clue what was going on, my initial thought was it was maybe some serious commemoration for something.

Turned out it was a random bee swarm.......

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/cricket/48802347

:-0

Mibbes Aye
29-06-2019, 09:03 AM
Saturday brings us Pakistan against Afghanistan at Headingley, followed by the Trans-Tasman derby with New Zealand against Australia at Lord’s.

There will be a healthy tension in both games. Pakistan played a large part in developing cricket in Afghanistan but was usurperd by India in recent times and there is some resentment.

Pakistan need the victory to maintain interest in the tournament you would think and there is the possibility that they could meet India in the semis at Old Trafford, should they finish fourth and the Indians top the group. That would be an incredible game.

I am going to back Pakistan for this one.

At Lord’s, two teams with form in this tournament though NZ have maybe tailed off a little as they came into a harder run of games. Question marks over Munro at the top, but the middle order has looked good.

Australia very strong at the top and with their bowling but the middle order is where the questions are being asked. I predict a big innings from Glenn Maxwell soon. His strike rate is through the roof but he hasn’t been hanging around long enough.

I am going to back Australia for this one.

Mibbes Aye
29-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Knife edge at Headingley as Afghanistan pile on the pressure. I have loved watching them this tournament but a big part of me wants to see Pakistan push England for the fourth spot. It would be churlish to deny the Afghans a victory though.

At Lord’s Australia were in all sorts of bother before a solid stand from Carey and Khawaja steadied the ship. Great cameo from Paddy Cummins to pile on the runs too and set a defensible target.

Lots in the pitch for the Australian quicks and for Lyon and even Smith. Game on!

Mibbes Aye
29-06-2019, 04:58 PM
What a finish at Headingley!!!

Pakistan secure victory in the last over after Afghanistan came right back into it.

One of the most exciting games of the tournament so far IMO.

Points on the board for Pakistan and if India win tomorrow then we are on for a potential huge upset and a semi-final of epic proportions.

As for Afghanistan, that’s twice they have come very, very close to a big win. If you aren’t Afghan or Bangladeshi then I suspect they are your second-favourite team :greengrin

Sergey
29-06-2019, 05:04 PM
What a finish at Headingley!!!

Pakistan secure victory in the last over after Afghanistan came right back into it.

One of the most exciting games of the tournament so far IMO.

Points on the board for Pakistan and if India win tomorrow then we are on for a potential huge upset and a semi-final of epic proportions.

As for Afghanistan, that’s twice they have come very, very close to a big win. If you aren’t Afghan or Bangladeshi then I suspect they are your second-favourite team :greengrin

I listened to it on the car radio and TMS was absolutely gripped in the match. Radio at its very best.

England really are up against it as I can't make a case for them against India.

Mibbes Aye
29-06-2019, 05:33 PM
I listened to it on the car radio and TMS was absolutely gripped in the match. Radio at its very best.

England really are up against it as I can't make a case for them against India.

Long time no read G, hope you’re well.

I think there have been some cracking games so far but today was particularly gripping.

Hopefully it is getting people interested in what can be a sublime and marvellous sport.

Sergey
29-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Long time no read G, hope you’re well.

I think there have been some cracking games so far but today was particularly gripping.

Hopefully it is getting people interested in what can be a sublime and marvellous sport.

I'm just dandy, bud and gearing myself up for the TdF.

I really like the 50 over version...but my heart is in Test Match cricket. I really don't care for the 20/20 and every time I've went to watch it it's not been a contest with one side winning comfortably. I'm friendly with an MCC member who has contacts at the very top of the ECB - so much so that he was awarded a £500,000 donation to supply defibrillators to smaller grounds...suffice to say that tickets are easy to come by.

There's a little Indian restaurant/come Sports Bar near me and they are fanatical about the 20/20 league they have - it's absolute bedlam when a match is on. My Sri Lanka greengrocer is also mad on the sport and its always a topic of conversation.

Mibbes Aye
29-06-2019, 06:16 PM
I'm just dandy, bud and gearing myself up for the TdF.

I really like the 50 over version...but my heart is in Test Match cricket. I really don't care for the 20/20 and every time I've went to watch it it's not been a contest with one side winning comfortably. I'm friendly with an MCC member who has contacts at the very top of the ECB - so much so that he was awarded a £500,000 donation to supply defibrillators to smaller grounds...suffice to say that tickets are easy to come by.

There's a little Indian restaurant/come Sports Bar near me and they are fanatical about the 20/20 league they have - it's absolute bedlam when a match is on. My Sri Lanka greengrocer is also mad on the sport and its always a topic of conversation.

Good to hear.

Would absolutely agree with you re Test cricket. We will be down at Edgbaston and Old Trafford for a few days during the Ashes and can’t wait.

hfc rd
29-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Thousands of Indian fans down here in Birmingham! I’ve got a feeling we are gonna outnumber the English support tomorrow which is absolutely staggering considering the tournament is being held in England!

Fantastic atmosphere with all the dhol drums and Bhangra dancing going on.

Mibbes Aye
30-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Good cricket yesterday, Mitchell Starc showing why individual players can dictate the outcome of matches and indeed win tournaments. Credit to Trent Boult too, for NZ’s first hat-trick at a CWC.

Sunday brings us the much-anticipated clash of England and India. Speculation is rife that England will play Jason Roy and Jofra Archer, despite neither being fully fit. Playing them risks losing them for the rest of the tournament.

Would I pick them? It would be a very tough call and feels short-sighted. But James Vince looks like a lamb to the slaughter against this Indian side and Archer offers so much more dynamism than Liam Plunkett. I suspect both might play as England roll the dice, with a sense of panic now that Pakistan have overtaken them in the table.

I am backing India for this one, awesome in every department and beating England today makes it slightly more possible to have that eye-watering mouth-drooling semi final against Pakistan.

Mibbes Aye
30-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Roy and Archer play.

For India, delighted to see Rishabh Pant selected, looks like he is in for Shankar, who hasn’t done a huge amount wrong but has been carrying a knock.

Pant is a great young talent and hopefully I’ve not given him the kiss of death after bigging up Oshane Thomas and Rashid Khan in previous posts!.

Mibbes Aye
30-06-2019, 09:41 AM
I don’t know who is all watching this but how good a bowler is Jasprit Bumrah?

Almost a perfect opening over from him and it befuddles me how he can generate so much pace with the run-up of a spinner.

Shami looking useful too, it has to be said.

hfc rd
30-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Badly need a wicket.

Crowd around me are getting a little restless. The atmosphere has died down a fair bit.

Mibbes Aye
30-06-2019, 01:28 PM
Good batting by England and they’ve posted a hefty total.

India have the batsmen to achieve it but there’s some pace and talent in the England seam attack, should make for a great second half.

Although Shami has the headlines with a five-for I thought Bumrah was absolutely outstanding, what an exceptional bowler he is.

hfc rd
30-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Need to start hitting some 4s & 6s to give ourselves a proper chance here otherwise we are looking at our first defeat.

England have this game under control after a very good batting performance earlier today.

Mibbes Aye
30-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Rishabh Pant is my new official favourite player!

Nearly runs himself out twice in three balls, which can be put down to newbie nerves and exuberance.

He then starts stroking sumptuous boundaries.

21 years old, this guy has a career in front of him.

hfc rd
30-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Rishabh Pant is my new official favourite player!

Nearly runs himself out twice in three balls, which can be put down to newbie nerves and exuberance.

He then starts stroking sumptuous boundaries.

21 years old, this guy has a career in front of him.

As soon as his name was announced, there was a massive cheer amongst the Indian crowd here. They love him!

A few nervy moments early on but that’s expected. Rohit Sharma helped him cool his nerves and constantly was communicating to him.

He’s an excellent batsman.

Mibbes Aye
30-06-2019, 04:53 PM
As soon as his name was announced, there was a massive cheer amongst the Indian crowd here. They love him!

A few nervy moments early on but that’s expected. Rohit Sharma helped him cool his nerves and constantly was communicating to him.

He’s an excellent batsman.

Very close game now.

If Pandya and Dhoni can make a stand, and Pandya gets to let loose then it is doable for India.

hfc rd
30-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Our first defeat but good to get it now with qualification pretty much 9/10 sorted. Give us time to work on what went wrong today although credit where it is due, England’s batting performance earlier today was excellent.

Mibbes Aye
30-06-2019, 05:46 PM
England batted well, they really needed to. Despite their victory I do think they lack the bowling to see a win out. Batting-wise they are deep as deep comes

India are strong, the semi final draw is intriguing as Australia and India are the two strongest sides for me, and should avoid each other but it’s not a given. I hope they avoid each other as that is the pick of a final for me.

Still a chance that England might miss out on a top four place. The next few days will be fascinating. Bangladesh will need no incentive!

JeMeSouviens
30-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Our first defeat but good to get it now with qualification pretty much 9/10 sorted. Give us time to work on what went wrong today although credit where it is due, England’s batting performance earlier today was excellent.

Radio commentators were baffled why India didn’t go for it more in the last few overs, esp Dhoni.

hfc rd
30-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Radio commentators were baffled why India didn’t go for it more in the last few overs, esp Dhoni.

A number of fans, including myself, were getting very restless with our batting performance. First couple of overs there was no urgency at all. We were playing as if we had all day. As soon as Kohli stepped onto field when Rahul was bowled out, I’m sure he must have told Rohit to really step it up. That’s when we started to really play. Sharma really stepped up and both him Kohli were excellent together. The young lad Pant did really well when he came on. Although he did suffer a few early jitters but that’s gonna be natural. Once those nerves had settled and he was on his game, he was fantastic. A special talent! The last few overs were very poor and the radio commentators that you mentioned were spot on with there assessment. We had an outside chance of reaching the target and if we had shown that bit more urgency, it could have been a different score.

Again, I’m confident we will bounce back and glad the defeat happened now when we are pretty much certain for a semi final berth. Give us time to work on what went wrong today.

JimBHibees
01-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Seemed absolutely bizarre he was so circumspect near the end absolutely nothing to lose by going for it. Is it maybe because it would now be more difficult for Pakistan to qualify?

I think I would maybe drop Dhoni after that. India are very dependent on two or three players.

Sergey
01-07-2019, 07:46 PM
That was another fine match tonight. I caught the last 20 overs on TV and the match was in the balance until key wickets fell.

Atmosphere? The sound was muted on the telly :boo hoo:

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2019, 01:35 AM
That was another fine match tonight. I caught the last 20 overs on TV and the match was in the balance until key wickets fell.

Atmosphere? The sound was muted on the telly :boo hoo:

Not sure if you mean the volume was down on your TV or whether it came across as being quiet!

The game slumbered for a long time though there was that closing excitement in the last twenty overs or so, like you say.

Sri Lanka have regained some pride. I had hopes for the Windies in this tournament but it maybe is just a couple of years too soon for them.

By the next World Cup they won’t have Gayle but they should have Hope, Hetmyer, Pooran and Thomas, with a lot more experience, and still the likes of Jason Holder. I’m not overly familiar with their age groups but I had heard that the level a couple of years younger than the likes of Thomas are meant to be very exciting so there’s a chance a couple of them might have made the breakthrough.

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2019, 01:50 AM
Bangladesh did well but not quite well enough against the best bowlers and formidable batsmen and fielders.

Rohit and Bumrah starred for India but Pant make a decent fist, and topped the strike rates for his team. With Shankar out of the tournament, Pant should retain his place and his position in the order and I expect him to post at least one very fast and big score.

Wednesday brings us New Zealand against England at Chester-le-Street. I think it’s a pitch that could suit England’s game and lets face it they need it as they only have a Plan A (albeit a very good Plan A)!

Having said that, NZ haven’t lost to England in the CWC since 1983.

England need the win psychologically at least, NZ can afford the loss despite how Pakistan do by virtue of the run rate, but NZ aren’t a team to take the foot off the pedal against England.

Tough one to call. NZ haven’t really shone at bat in the top order yet. For England it is wide boundaries and that could afflict Jason Roy and his hamstring if they find themselves having to run a lot of shots.

I would really like to see Pakistan in the top four but I am plumping for England in this game, which I think makes it very difficult for PAK to overhaul NZ, even with a comfortable win in their game against Bangladesh.

JimBHibees
03-07-2019, 08:48 AM
Bangladesh did well but not quite well enough against the best bowlers and formidable batsmen and fielders.

Rohit and Bumrah starred for India but Pant make a decent fist, and topped the strike rates for his team. With Shankar out of the tournament, Pant should retain his place and his position in the order and I expect him to post at least one very fast and big score.

Wednesday brings us New Zealand against England at Chester-le-Street. I think it’s a pitch that could suit England’s game and lets face it they need it as they only have a Plan A (albeit a very good Plan A)!

Having said that, NZ haven’t lost to England in the CWC since 1983.

England need the win psychologically at least, NZ can afford the loss despite how Pakistan do by virtue of the run rate, but NZ aren’t a team to take the foot off the pedal against England.

Tough one to call. NZ haven’t really shone at bat in the top order yet. For England it is wide boundaries and that could afflict Jason Roy and his hamstring if they find themselves having to run a lot of shots.

I would really like to see Pakistan in the top four but I am plumping for England in this game, which I think makes it very difficult for PAK to overhaul NZ, even with a comfortable win in their game against Bangladesh.

Don't think that is a given either. Strange scheduling India playing 2 games in 3 days.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 09:51 AM
England off to a flier, 44-0 after 5 overs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 10:34 AM
104-0 after 15.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 10:53 AM
123-1, Roy first man to go.

JeMeSouviens
03-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Roy out for 60. 123/1

Be interesting to see if Bairstow can do a bit better than he did the other day without his buddy, or if he really does need Roy at the other end.

JeMeSouviens
03-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Century for Bairstow, doing ok without Jase. :greengrin

194/1, 20 overs to go.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 11:47 AM
194/2, Root out.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 12:12 PM
214/4, could they actually snatch defeat from where they were about 30 mins ago?

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 12:42 PM
248-5

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 12:54 PM
259-6

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 01:02 PM
272-7

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 01:20 PM
301-8, 3 deliveries left. Should be an interesting run chase.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 01:22 PM
305-8

JeMeSouviens
03-07-2019, 01:25 PM
305-8

Not the total the opening partnership suggested they were on for, but probably around par? I've a feeling NZ might get these.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 01:57 PM
NZ 2-1 after 1 over.

JeMeSouviens
03-07-2019, 02:06 PM
If England get Kane Williamson out cheaply I'm changing my mind! :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-07-2019, 02:15 PM
14-2, great catch from Buttler.