PDA

View Full Version : Craig Thomson Retires

hibby rae
22-05-2019, 07:45 PM
What sad news https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48374058

:bye::bye::bye::bye:

Now if Andrew Dallas would only take early retirement.

bingo70
22-05-2019, 07:53 PM
I never thought I’d say this but he’s actually been one of the better referees in recent seasons.

I’m not one that buys into theories about referees having grudges against certain clubs but that season (you know what one) and possibly the one before that he gave a bizarre number of shocking decisions against us, I can’t remember off the top of my head what they were but do remember at the time someone listing 5 or 6 absolute shockers.

The 90+2
22-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Worst webcam performance since Jim in American pie. Good riddance.

SanFranHibs
22-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Well, that frees up a wage for the Gorgie mob :)

hibby rae
22-05-2019, 07:59 PM
I never thought I’d say this but he’s actually been one of the better referees in recent seasons.

I’m not one that buys into theories about referees having grudges against certain clubs but that season (you know what one) and possibly the one before that he gave a bizarre number of shocking decisions against us, I can’t remember off the top of my head what they were but do remember at the time someone listing 5 or 6 absolute shockers.

There was a sending off against the Huns which was a shocker, was there not one against Dundee Utd under Fenlon when we just missed out on top 6?

I remember being embarrassed at some of the decisions he made in Champions Leagues games.

bingo70
22-05-2019, 08:02 PM
There was a sending off against the Huns which was a shocker, was there not one against Dundee Utd under Fenlon when we just missed out on top 6?

I remember being embarrassed at some of the decisions he made in Champions Leagues games.

I’m sure there was one against Aberdeen as well but can’t remember what it was.

SouthMoroccoStu
22-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Cheat and well shot off

BurghHibby
22-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Yohoo, gtf ya cheating hertz barsteward
:na na:

Joe6-2
22-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Cheat and well shot off

Yep!

SouthMoroccoStu
22-05-2019, 08:14 PM
The report a poster published on here about his stats and record against Hibs was extremely telling

He hated us and I won’t miss him

Now take Dallas with you

where'stheslope
22-05-2019, 08:19 PM
The report a poster published on here about his stats and record against Hibs was extremely telling

Now take Dallas with you
Biggest problem is they will just fast track another non entity who know nothing about football, but has a red and yellow card???

SouthMoroccoStu
22-05-2019, 08:28 PM
So when’s his testimonial at Tynecastle?

Scottish Cup winner 2012

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-05-2019, 08:29 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSS ya FUD!!!!!!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Worst webcam performance since Jim in American pie. Good riddance.

I hear what you're saying but, I've seen a lot worse webcam performances, probably says more about me than him. 🙄

maturehibby
22-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Damage done
Quoted here regularly
agent Thomson return to Tynecastle HQ
Mission accomplished
Mellowed a bit in last few years but statistics told what kind a man he was and how after being photographed giving the 5/1 sign says it all
He was a cheat like that huddy Anderson on sunday whilst Clancy , Dallas , McLean are inconsistent and inept

HibbyAndy
22-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Good riddance to an absolute cheating **** of a referee!!

Greencore
22-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Byeeeeeee

lord bunberry
22-05-2019, 09:00 PM
His role in that cup final will never be forgotten by me. He is a cheating ******* and I hope I never hear from him again.

PatHead
22-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Glad to see the back of him.

weecounty hibby
22-05-2019, 09:02 PM
He'll just be replaced by another incompetent, inept, cheating *******.

eastterrace
22-05-2019, 09:03 PM
His role in that cup final will never be forgotten by me. He is a cheating ******* and I hope I never hear from him again. sure he gave the last minute penalty for Dunfermline in the semifinal against Chris Hogg. That was the start of him shafting hibs.

HibbyAndy
22-05-2019, 09:03 PM
His role in that cup final will never be forgotten by me. He is a cheating ******* and I hope I never hear from him again.

I keep hearing even 7 years later from Hibs fans that his actions would never have changed the outcome of the game... nonsense ..Ian black should have saw red for a forearm smash on Leigh early doors !! That changes everything

Jones28
22-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Scary that he's been one of the better ones recently.

Sir David Gray
22-05-2019, 09:22 PM
sure he gave the last minute penalty for Dunfermline in the semifinal against Chris Hogg. That was the start of him shafting hibs.

He was the referee in that game I can't remember if it was a deserved penalty or not though.

lord bunberry
22-05-2019, 09:28 PM
I keep hearing even 7 years later from Hibs fans that his actions would never have changed the outcome of the game... nonsense ..Ian black should have saw red for a forearm smash on Leigh early doors !! That changes everything
Absolutely, had he sent him off we’d have been favourites to win. The penalty that was outside the box was what finished us off. He made sure we didn’t have a chance.

Kato
22-05-2019, 09:34 PM

He started in the Scottish Cup semi-final replay against Dunfermline. Refused a penalty for a foul on Dean Sheils then awarded the pars one seconds afterwards.

Hope he stays retired but let's face it he'll be joining Hugh Dallas "upstairs". Does he have a son?

Kato
22-05-2019, 09:35 PM
sure he gave the last minute penalty for Dunfermline in the semifinal against Chris Hogg. That was the start of him shafting hibs.

yup

HoboHarry
22-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Says in the article that his last major tournament was the 2012 Euros and that was the only major tournament he officiated in? Really poor reflection on Scottish refereeing if that's true given that he has been at the top of our tree for a long time and on the FIFA list from 2003 until 2018.

Eyrie
22-05-2019, 09:39 PM
Good riddance to him and his 2012 Scottish Cup winners medal.

Hibernia&Alba
22-05-2019, 09:58 PM
I don't think he will be missed by Hibs fans :greengrin

HibeeHibernian4
22-05-2019, 10:03 PM
A very good referee post 2012, a shame as he was actively biased or massively incompetent towards us in the last few derbies.

Killiehibbie
23-05-2019, 12:01 AM
I wish some painful ailments on him in his retirement.

Auckland Hibs
23-05-2019, 01:31 AM
He started in the Scottish Cup semi-final replay against Dunfermline. Refused a penalty for a foul on Dean Sheils then awarded the pars one seconds afterwards.

Hope he stays retired but let's face it he'll be joining Hugh Dallas "upstairs". Does he have a son?

I hate that game, even after all this time it still sticks in my throat - remember watching it in F3K, London. We drank ourselves to oblivion at the FT whistle and I called in sick for the rest of the week.

Craig Thompson wasn't inept, incompetent or useless - he was simply a cheat.

andyf5
23-05-2019, 05:45 AM

Now take Dallas with you

I did stats on him and he gave less cards to us than Hearts. He gave more cards to every team than any other referee. He was hated in other countries too and has a youtube video in his honor created after the Bosnia France game where he made a series of ridulous decisions, in favour of France.
https://youtu.be/2tvewlR39Mc
In recent times I have preferred him as the ref to others.

PatHead
23-05-2019, 07:24 AM
I did stats on him and he gave less cards to us than Hearts. He gave more cards to every team than any other referee. He was hated in other countries too and has a youtube video in his honor created after the Bosnia France game where he made a series of ridulous decisions, in favour of France.
https://youtu.be/2tvewlR39Mc
In recent times I have preferred him as the ref to others.

Not surprised he gave more cards to Hearts. In case you haven't noticed they have been the dirtiest team in the league for years.

Don't get this revision of him over the last few years. Just because he didn't give made up decisions against us as often.

He cheated in a cup final. He allowed himself to be photographed doing a 5 1. He should never have been allowed to referee again.

Monts
23-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Not surprised he gave more cards to Hearts. In case you haven't noticed they have been the dirtiest team in the league for years.

Don't get this revision of him over the last few years. Just because he didn't give made up decisions against us as often.

He cheated in a cup final. He allowed himself to be photographed doing a 5 1. He should never have been allowed to referee again.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think he was photographed doing the 5 1. He was in a photo with some kids who were doing it. Slight, but significant difference imho.

Bostonhibby
23-05-2019, 07:29 AM
The very least the maroon balloons should do is fire up the ovens again and bake him one of their famous admin cakes.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

PatHead
23-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I don't think he was photographed doing the 5 1. He was in a photo with some kids who were doing it. Slight, but significant difference imho.

He knew fine what was going on. Just like when he made the key decisions in the final.

Kato
23-05-2019, 07:39 AM
He knew fine what was going on. Just like when he made the key decisions in the final.

Exactly. Arch-Snide.

CorrieHibs
23-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Could you imagine the uproar if Steve McLean was pictured with a group of folk holding their hands up and doing 3-2?

The Rangers would be going ballistic!

Gloucester Hibs
23-05-2019, 07:46 AM
The one that always sticks in mind (other than his performance in that final) was the very early red card he gave to Steven Fletcher in a Scottish Cup derby at Easter Road. He couldn't wait to dish it out (think it was for a high boot on Berra and was IMO totally undeserved).

His performances when reffing our games since 2012 have been much more impartial but the way I see it his work had already been done!

NAE NOOKIE
23-05-2019, 10:06 AM
The one that always sticks in mind (other than his performance in that final) was the very early red card he gave to Steven Fletcher in a Scottish Cup derby at Easter Road. He couldn't wait to dish it out (think it was for a high boot on Berra and was IMO totally undeserved).

His performances when reffing our games since 2012 have been much more impartial but the way I see it his work had already been done!

As you say, after 2012 his work was done … after that final he was reasonably 'fair' in games involving Hibs probably because he knew he would be under intense scrutiny and every dodgy decision would be highlighted. His performance in 2012 was a disgrace and so one sided that in another league the governing body would have been investigating betting patterns looking for a link.

Good riddance, hope he enjoys his Hearts hero status.

PatHead
23-05-2019, 11:12 AM
As you say, after 2012 his work was done … after that final he was reasonably 'fair' in games involving Hibs probably because he knew he would be under intense scrutiny and every dodgy decision would be highlighted. His performance in 2012 was a disgrace and so one sided that in another league the governing body would have been investigating betting patterns looking for a link.

Good riddance, hope he enjoys his Hearts hero status.

Sure that one of our first games after the final was away to Dundee United at Tannadice. He gave them either a very soft penalty or free kick on the edge of the box.

Even if he was "fair" after that, it was what he was paid to do and deserves no praise for doing his job properly. Never want to hear a decent word about that cheating **** ever again.

CraigHibee
23-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Not sure about the biased towards us, just a brutal referee most of the time, i think after 2012 some folk were just looking for excuses, with exception to the penalty that never was we were ***** and thats why we got pumped imo

lyonhibs
23-05-2019, 11:20 AM
That Hearts fans still have a song glorifying him after his "penalty" decision back you know when tells you everything you need to know.

A ****ing clown. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

southsider
23-05-2019, 11:22 AM
I don't think he will be missed by Hibs fans :greengrin

Holding a 12 bore shotgun ! Lol

Smartie
23-05-2019, 11:27 AM
I don't normally go for the conspiracy stuff but some of his performances prior to and including the 2012 cup final were highly suspicious.

Hand on heart, for the past few years he's probably been the most competent referee for games involving Hibs, including a certain 2-2 game at Tynecastle.

Yes, he was only doing his job, but we know all about it when they don't.

southsider
23-05-2019, 11:31 AM
When SJM’s corner came over in the last minute I was waiting for their foul. Whistle never came and the rest, we know, is history.

allezsauzee
23-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Won more trophies for Hearts than Levein

JimBHibees
23-05-2019, 03:10 PM
I hate that game, even after all this time it still sticks in my throat - remember watching it in F3K, London. We drank ourselves to oblivion at the FT whistle and I called in sick for the rest of the week.

Craig Thompson wasn't inept, incompetent or useless - he was simply a cheat.

He also failed to send off Hammill in the first game for a two foot tackle on Lewis right in front of him. Hammill then dived for the pen in the second game.

PatHead
23-05-2019, 03:38 PM
He also failed to send off Hammill in the first game for a two foot tackle on Lewis right in front of him. Hammill then dived for the pen in the second game.

Yip, the boy is just a big sleekit jobby.

The 90+2
23-05-2019, 03:39 PM
I hear what you're saying but, I've seen a lot worse webcam performances, probably says more about me than him. 🙄

😂

Tyler Durden
23-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Everyone in the “he’s been good since 2012” camp seem to have forgotten about the play off against Falkirk the week before the cup final.

Keatings is played in by Hendo, he’s about 7 yards from goal and ready to pull the trigger when scythed down by the Falkirk defender (probably McCracken again). Thomson gave the penalty but it was as clear a goal scoring chance as you can imagine and there was no red card. Maybe no card at all. The man is a cheat.

Tom Hart RIP
23-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Everyone in the “he’s been good since 2012” camp seem to have forgotten about the play off against Falkirk the week before the cup final.

Keatings is played in by Hendo, he’s about 7 yards from goal and ready to pull the trigger when scythed down by the Falkirk defender (probably McCracken again). Thomson gave the penalty but it was as clear a goal scoring chance as you can imagine and there was no red card. Maybe no card at all. The man is a cheat.

Just beat me to this. There is no explanation as to why McCracken was not sent off. The rules were clear at that time and it had to be a sending off yet he decided to ignore the rules which potentially cost us another season in the Championship. Good riddance.

Tom Hart RIP
23-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Ps if memory serves me right there was no card and he got a yellow later on but I stand to be corrected.
Possibly the worst decision I have seen in 52 years following Hibs.

JimBHibees
23-05-2019, 04:35 PM
Ps if memory serves me right there was no card and he got a yellow later on but I stand to be corrected.
Possibly the worst decision I have seen in 52 years following Hibs.

Worse than the handball in the first leg?

angus hibby
23-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Couldn’t bring himself to point to the centre spot after Hanlon’s equaliser in the 2-2 Scottish Cup Derby. The biggest surprise that day was that he didn’t blow for an imaginary free kick as that corner came in!

greenginger
23-05-2019, 04:57 PM
I don't normally go for the conspiracy stuff but some of his performances prior to and including the 2012 cup final were highly suspicious.

Hand on heart, for the past few years he's probably been the most competent referee for games involving Hibs, including a certain 2-2 game at Tynecastle.

Yes, he was only doing his job, but we know all about it when they don't.

Thomson's refereeing in the 2012 final was outrageous. As far as I'm concerned it could only be explained by a large bung from Vlad.

Vlad had been accused of trying to bribe refs in Lithuania and Thomson's more or less even handed reffing since that final suggests to me he must have had some ulterior motives for the decisions he made that day.

Scouse Hibee
23-05-2019, 06:14 PM
I don’t believe he is anywhere near as bad as made out on here, had a very decent career as a grade one referee and not the worst by far.

Vai
23-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Agreed - The Fourth Official that day, told CT that the challenge from IB was a RED, definitely a RED. For some 'reason' CT chose otherwise....

bigwheel
23-05-2019, 06:44 PM

Tbh. Still think our shower that day would have lost .....

Kato
23-05-2019, 08:46 PM
I don’t believe he is anywhere near as bad as made out on here, had a very decent career as a grade one referee and not the worst by far.

:rolleyes:

His reputation abroad is that he is sham, especially after the France v Bosnia.

Same discussion on this thread from 5 years ago with revealing stats.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?279083-Hibernian-v-Craig-Thomson-(by-tomf)-(Merged-threads)

Albanian Hibs
23-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Good riddance 🤗🤗🤗

Mango Man
23-05-2019, 10:39 PM

I often wonder what it would have been like if that Hibs team won the cup, a team littered with rubbish loans and unfit players, then all of a sudden they are legends, half that team didn't deserve to be the ones to finally win it for us, whereas the team that did eventually win it, were fully deserving in my eyes.

Deansy
24-05-2019, 12:24 AM
Thank you Lord !

Baader
24-05-2019, 03:30 AM

Agree completely. Sick of the revisionism of that game which, admittedly, I tend not to think about. But that was a red and it was 2-1 before the cheat reduced us to ten and gave a penalty for a foul that was outside the box.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

JimBHibees
24-05-2019, 06:19 AM
:rolleyes:

His reputation abroad is that he is sham, especially after the France v Bosnia.

Same discussion on this thread from 5 years ago with revealing stats.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?279083-Hibernian-v-Craig-Thomson-(by-tomf)-(Merged-threads)

Also who can't fail to remember his and his Scottish officials decision making to bump Malaga out of champions league at Dortmund. The sheer number of shockers was corrupt in the extreme. Same linesman missed the most blatant offside you could see in that game was also same linesman who missed Jordan Forsters 3 yards onside goal at Tynecastle.

One of the worst Thompson ones for me against Hibs was when he booked Griiffiths for diving in a gave v Killie I think which clearly wasn't which just happened to rule him out of our crucial relegation game v Dunfermline. So his anti Hibs decision making was strong in the 2012 season. Must have been a good Lithuanian to sterling exchange rate.

JimBHibees
24-05-2019, 06:22 AM

Maybe so wouldn't have minded the opportunity to find out.

Eyemouth Hibby
24-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Absolutely, had he sent him off we’d have been favourites to win. The penalty that was outside the box was what finished us off. He made sure we didn’t have a chance.

Exactly an out and out cheat. The only game in 30 years where I could tell you who the referee was and how he influenced a game. A vile biast individual

dangermouse
24-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Sure that one of our first games after the final was away to Dundee United at Tannadice. He gave them either a very soft penalty or free kick on the edge of the box.

Even if he was "fair" after that, it was what he was paid to do and deserves no praise for doing his job properly. Never want to hear a decent word about that cheating **** ever again.

It was. He denied United two stone wall penalties in the first half. The reason we lost that day was because we had a crap team, nothing to do with CT.

lyonhibs
24-05-2019, 04:13 PM
I often wonder what it would have been like if that Hibs team won the cup, a team littered with rubbish loans and unfit players, then all of a sudden they are legends, half that team didn't deserve to be the ones to finally win it for us, whereas the team that did eventually win it, were fully deserving in my eyes.

Don't kid yourself, it would have been utterly incredible.

Mango Man
24-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Don't kid yourself, it would have been utterly incredible.

Absolutely agree, I meant more the fact I think the team that did eventually win it for us, were more deserving than that team would have been, imagine us all raving about Kujabi, Docherty etc as legends 😀

Of course it still would have tremendous if we won, but it all just added to the euphoria of when we did win it.

Galahibby
25-05-2019, 09:02 AM
:faf::top marks