PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: KANE O’CONNOR TO JOIN BRENTFORD

RSS Bot
22-05-2019, 12:30 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9980)

JimBHibees
22-05-2019, 12:32 PM
"We retain an interest in Kane’s football future".

Assuming that means a sell on fee of some sort.

The_Horde
22-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Probably agreed to one instead of a dev fee?

bingo70
22-05-2019, 12:35 PM

He’s out of contract so i don’t think we can add in a clause like that.

Think it’s probably a genuine comment from someone that will know him on a personal level.

The 90+2
22-05-2019, 12:37 PM

Think it’s probably a genuine comment from someone that will know him on a personal level.

Hearts done it when Patterson went to Cardiff. As did we with John McGinn.

CapitalGreen
22-05-2019, 12:38 PM

We can if we are forgoing any other sort of fee we may be due.

HoboHarry
22-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Hearts done it when Patterson went to Cardiff. As did we with John McGinn.
I thought I had read somewhere that the club (us in this case) has to offer a new contract and the player decline and move on to be able to claim a development fee?

JimBHibees
22-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Probably depends when the agreement was reached possibly other clubs interested and agreement reached prior to contract running out with Kane.

B.H.F.C
22-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Similar to us signing McGinn. Out of contract but we were due a development fee to St Mirren

The 90+2
22-05-2019, 12:49 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that the club (us in this case) has to offer a new contract and the player decline and move on to be able to claim a development fee?

Like above it could have been that he’s agreed to join Brentford and we’ve offered to match his current wage to get a fee in the future. I can’t imagine it will be that much regardless.

bingo70
22-05-2019, 12:54 PM
Similar to us signing McGinn. Out of contract but we were due a development fee to St Mirren

We need to offer him a contract to be due a development fee and everything said so far suggests we didn’t do that.

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Happy to be proved wrong but I think people are getting confused between development fee's and solidarity payments.

We didn't offer Kane a new contract so we are not entitled to a development fee but we could be due a solidarity payment(s) further down the line.

bingo70
22-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Happy to be proved wrong but I think people are getting confused between development fee's and solidarity payments.

We didn't offer Kane a new contract so we are not entitled to a development fee but we could be due a solidarity payment(s) further down the line.

Every chance you’re right, what’s a solidarity payment?

Is that the token payment boys clubs get some times when a player they developed is signed? Sure I remember hearing Edina Hibs getting a windfall from Christoph Berra at one point.

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Every chance you’re right, what’s a solidarity payment?

Is that the token payment boys clubs get some times when a player they developed is signed? Sure I remember hearing Edina Hibs getting a windfall from Christoph Berra at one point.
Pretty much. It's a general term for the percentage of various fees that get's shared around a players previous club. I remember Falkirk made about £90 from Leigh Griffiths playing in the Champions League for Celtic one year

The 90+2
22-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Pretty much. It's a general term for the percentage of various fees that get's shared around a players previous club. I remember Falkirk made about £90 from Leigh Griffiths playing in the Champions League for Celtic one year

Covered Tom Taiwos signing on fee to be fair.

CapitalGreen
22-05-2019, 01:34 PM

We didn't even offer Kane a renewal on his current terms which we knew would be rejected but would have guaranteed a development fee? Seems like an oversight if true.

MyJo
22-05-2019, 01:54 PM
We didn't even offer Kane a renewal on his current terms which we knew would be rejected but would have guaranteed a development fee? Seems like an oversight if true.

Or could be us just having enough respect for the boy and dignity as a club to not play silly games like that when we have already decided that he is surplus to requirements.

Slapping a contract down in front of him simply to force his next club into forking out a development fee for him would probably put plenty of clubs off and limit his options.

Alternatively, he accepts that contract and we have a player that we have no intention of playing and have already decided won't be pushing for the first team taking a space and wage that could be given to another player with more development potential or ability to break into the first team.

Sometimes money shouldn't be the be all and end all of things.

Alex Trager
22-05-2019, 01:58 PM
This is an odd one. I thought he was well rated?

Obviously not I suppose. I recognise his name which is unusual because I don’t watch the youths so would only know his name if there are people talking about him.
Which generally only happens due to good performances.

CapitalGreen
22-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Or could be us just having enough respect for the boy and dignity as a club to not play silly games like that when we have already decided that he is surplus to requirements.

Slapping a contract down in front of him simply to force his next club into forking out a development fee for him would probably put plenty of clubs off and limit his options.

Alternatively, he accepts that contract and we have a player that we have no intention of playing and have already decided won't be pushing for the first team taking a space and wage that could be given to another player with more development potential or ability to break into the first team.

Sometimes money shouldn't be the be all and end all of things.

I'm not sure how being suitably recompensed for developing a player from a young age is considered "silly games". Brentford (a team of greater means than us) obviously want the player, I don't think it is inappropriate to want compensated to some degree for the time and money we have put into developing him.

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 02:13 PM
That's the whole point of needing to offer a contract on equal or better terms to get the fee. What if we had offered him a contract on the understanding that he was leaving but he had a change of heart, decided to stay and we end up keeping and paying for a player we don't even want. That would be an even bigger oversight.

CapitalGreen
22-05-2019, 02:15 PM
That's the whole point of needing to offer a contract on equal or better terms to get the fee. What if we had offered him a contract on the understanding that he was leaving but he had a change of heart, decided to stay and we end up keeping and paying for a player we don't even want. That would be an even bigger oversight.

Based on the wage youth players get for their first professional contracts at Hibs that would be extremely surprising and a not very large expense.

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Based on the wage youth players get for their first professional contracts at Hibs that would be extremely surprising and a not very large expense.
I personally don’t find it surprising at all that we didn’t offer a contract to a player we don’t want but I suppose we all see the game differently.

CapitalGreen
22-05-2019, 02:36 PM
I personally don’t find it surprising at all that we didn’t offer a contract to a player we don’t want but I suppose we all see the game differently.

Unless I have missed it there has not been any confirmation we didn't.

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Unless I have missed it there has not been any confirmation we didn't.
No, I think you're correct that the club haven't confirmed it publicly.

Billy Whizz
22-05-2019, 02:45 PM

From Hibs official site”
“Kane O’Connor has been allowed to move on after the expiry of his contract, having been unable to force his way into contention for a regular place in the Development team”

JimBHibees
22-05-2019, 02:46 PM

These lines seem to suggest we didnt:

“There is a clear pathway for our Academy players to the first team but it is a fact of life in football that, along the way, some difficult decisions need to be made and we thought it was best for Kane to pursue options elsewhere.

“With that in mind, we allowed Kane to accept offers to train with a handful of clubs in recent weeks to accelerate the process of finding a new club. We are happy that has led to a successful outcome for Kane, at a club who are renowned for doing things the right way and who were a pleasure to deal with.

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 02:48 PM
These lines seem to suggest we didnt:

“There is a clear pathway for our Academy players to the first team but it is a fact of life in football that, along the way, some difficult decisions need to be made and we thought it was best for Kane to pursue options elsewhere.

“With that in mind, we allowed Kane to accept offers to train with a handful of clubs in recent weeks to accelerate the process of finding a new club. We are happy that has led to a successful outcome for Kane, at a club who are renowned for doing things the right way and who were a pleasure to deal with.
I'd agree with you on that but CapitalGreen wants confirmation and a suggestion isn't a confirmation.

CapitalGreen
22-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Interesting that Brentford Offical website is reporting that they have paid an undisclosed fee.

"Brentford B have completed the signing of Kane O'Connor from Scottish Premiership side Hibernian for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance."

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2019/may/kane-oconnor-signs/

JimBHibees
22-05-2019, 02:49 PM
I'd agree with you on that but CapitalGreen wants confirmation and a suggestion isn't a confirmation.

As good a confirmation as you are going to get. :greengrin

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 02:49 PM
As good a confirmation as you are going to get. :greengrin
It's not me that needs it :cb

Centre Hawf
22-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Think this one may have been a mistake on the Clubs side. Brentford are a fantastic place to be as a youngster so they clearly see something in him.

JimBHibees
22-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Think this one may have been a mistake on the Clubs side. Brentford are a fantastic place to be as a youngster so they clearly see something in him.

Time will tell, I saw a documentary on BT sport about the academy system in England and Brentford had recently binned their academy on the basis that given their location they could do better by picking up kids who didnt make it at the larger London teams.

Since452
22-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Time will tell, I saw a documentary on BT sport about the academy system in England and Brentford had recently binned their academy on the basis that given their location they could do better by picking up kids who didnt make it at the larger London teams.

They've done it with the larger Edinburgh team this time 😉

MagicSwirlingShip
22-05-2019, 08:40 PM
I agree with Hibs position here.

Regardless of the lads talent, it's clear it will be hard for him to get any meaningful first team experience over the next season or so with Hanlon, Mcgregor, Porteous, the big lad Sadiki who is highly rated and the potential addition of Adam Jackson who we have been in talks with ahead of him in the queue.

The boy needs playing time and hopefully he will get it at Brentford.

Good luck Kane! :agree:

lord bunberry
22-05-2019, 08:51 PM
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of players being released by us and going directly to the championship in England. I know they’re only youth players, but what is a championship club seeing that we’re not?

Mibbes Aye
22-05-2019, 09:08 PM
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of players being released by us and going directly to the championship in England. I know they’re only youth players, but what is a championship club seeing that we’re not?

I think Kane was quite highly rated at one stage and Brentford probably feel they can take a chance through their dev system that we maybe can’t provide either for first team or dev.

Despite finishing a fair bit off the top four, we had the fourth best defensive record by a decent enough margin. McGregor isn’t getting any younger but had some outstanding games. Hanlon is a good player with so much first-team experience and links up so well with Lewis (and with Lewis and Scott Allan).

its easy to see why their shirts are theirs to lose. By the same token we hopefully have Porto back and keen to make up for lost time and it would be a surprise if Heckers doesn’t want to bring in at least one CH.

At dev level, we aren’t badly off in defence. Sadiki seems to impress those who have seen a bit of him. I also wonder whether Ben Stirling is being settled into a CH role - he has moved posotion a fair bit. By the same token I would be hoping Stirling would be making a step up to feature more prominently around the first-team squad.

The other consideration is what we are looking like at the age level just below the dev squad. If we have promising CH talent there then that makes it difficult for KOC from both sides.

bingo70
22-05-2019, 09:13 PM

There was a young keeper Kleyton Pentreau or something like that that was released by us and joined Crystal Palace.

lord bunberry
22-05-2019, 09:21 PM
I think Kane was quite highly rated at one stage and Brentford probably feel they can take a chance through their dev system that we maybe can’t provide either for first team or dev.

Despite finishing a fair bit off the top four, we had the fourth best defensive record by a decent enough margin. McGregor isn’t getting any younger but had some outstanding games. Hanlon is a good player with so much first-team experience and links up so well with Lewis (and with Lewis and Scott Allan).

its easy to see why their shirts are theirs to lose. By the same token we hopefully have Porto back and keen to make up for lost time and it would be a surprise if Heckers doesn’t want to bring in at least one CH.

At dev level, we aren’t badly off in defence. Sadiki seems to impress those who have seen a bit of him. I also wonder whether Ben Stirling is being settled into a CH role - he has moved posotion a fair bit. By the same token I would be hoping Stirling would be making a step up to feature more prominently around the first-team squad.

The other consideration is what we are looking like at the age level just below the dev squad. If we have promising CH talent there then that makes it difficult for KOC from both sides.
I completely understand that, I just find it unusual that we’re prepared to let players go that are effectively leaving us and moving to a higher level. Brentford have a good youth system so they wouldn’t be signing them if they didn’t think they could possibly make it at that level. My question is that if a championship club thinks they might make the grade down there, why do we think they won’t make it at our level?
I hope your last point about the next generation being considered better prospects is the way the club is looking at it. As I said it’s just not something that normally happens to us, if a player leaves for that league it’s normally for a decent fee.

lord bunberry
22-05-2019, 09:22 PM
There was a young keeper Kleyton Pentreau or something like that that was released by us and joined Crystal Palace.
Yeah I do remember that.

w pilton hibby
22-05-2019, 09:29 PM

Now with Margate. Isthmian League Premier Division.

Speedy
22-05-2019, 10:42 PM
I completely understand that, I just find it unusual that we’re prepared to let players go that are effectively leaving us and moving to a higher level. Brentford have a good youth system so they wouldn’t be signing them if they didn’t think they could possibly make it at that level. My question is that if a championship club thinks they might make the grade down there, why do we think they won’t make it at our level?
I hope your last point about the next generation being considered better prospects is the way the club is looking at it. As I said it’s just not something that normally happens to us, if a player leaves for that league it’s normally for a decent fee.

They can afford many more prospects than we can. We have to priotise but they may feel it's worth a punt.

lord bunberry
22-05-2019, 11:44 PM
They can afford many more prospects than we can. We have to priotise but they may feel it's worth a punt.
True but we have far less prospects than they are likely to have and it seems strange that we’ve allowed two to walk out the door.

MagicSwirlingShip
23-05-2019, 12:55 AM
True but we have far less prospects than they are likely to have and it seems strange that we’ve allowed two to walk out the door.

But there's no opportunites for them here so it's not really that strange at all.

Centre Hawf
23-05-2019, 01:28 AM
But there's no opportunites for them here so it's not really that strange at all.

Someone who might know the situation better than me may be able to correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather is this lad is really well thought of as a player but seemed to have some issue with Eddie May (shock horror) and the relationship between the club/May and KOC may have deteriorated.

I don't know why this happened or to what extent it played a part in him being released but for a while he was a name that was mentioned in the youth set up as potential to go far, even the the SFA mentioned him often to promote the youth sides. Then all of a sudden the lad wasn't getting a game any more but Brentford are happy to take a punt on him and Burnley were letting him train with them a month or so ago. All seems strange.

MagicSwirlingShip
23-05-2019, 01:45 AM
Someone who might know the situation better than me may be able to correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather is this lad is really well thought of as a player but seemed to have some issue with Eddie May (shock horror) and the relationship between the club/May and KOC may have deteriorated.

I don't know why this happened or to what extent it played a part in him being released but for a while he was a name that was mentioned in the youth set up as potential to go far, even the the SFA mentioned him often to promote the youth sides. Then all of a sudden the lad wasn't getting a game any more but Brentford are happy to take a punt on him and Burnley were letting him train with them a month or so ago. All seems strange.

All a bit speculatory if you ask me.

What is a fact is that Sadiki arrived December 2018 and seemed to get more playing time than Kane from there on in.

Brightside
23-05-2019, 06:01 AM
Kano was offered a contract - not a very good one and still not very clear on his pathway to senior football. Hence why he has left.

Brightside
23-05-2019, 06:16 AM

He's been captain of the Scotland youth sides so plenty in football see his potential. He's been on the edge of the full squad a few times also. But at the end of the day its up to the academy to make a call on players. Some calls they will get right, some they will regret. I'll be watching his progress with interest as i really thought him and Porto would be the next Daz and Paul over the next 10 years.

NAE NOOKIE
23-05-2019, 10:22 AM
This is probably a reflection of the money available to Hibs against what the likes of Brentford can afford. The kid clearly has a lot of potential, but Hibs probably cant afford to keep him on the books waiting for an opening in what is arguably the best covered part of our team once Porteous is fit and we make another signing in for that area.

Whatever the case, its pretty encouraging that a championship side is willing to take a punt on a guy Hibs feel is surplus to requirements, no matter what the circumstances.