PDA

View Full Version : RIP Stuart Crowther

Jamesie
20-05-2019, 07:33 PM
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Stuart Crowther sadly passed away last night after a short illness.

Stu was responsible for the TANEHSH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!

On 30 June 1999, Stuart registered the hibs.net domain name and soon thereafter founded this very website and forum. A few years later Stuart moved to Hibs in an official capacity as New Media Manager, playing an instrumental role in the establishment of HibsTV. Stuart thereafter "retired" to Moray in 2010 where he remained engaged in local community journalism, including as community editor for STV Local and playing a leading role in the insidemoray website.

Stu would have turned 66 this coming Saturday and was relishing a move to the East Stand next season to support the Hibs: yet another taken far too young. I am told that Linda and the family have asked to be left to come to terms with his passing of their own accord at this time.

While there were some differences had with Stuart from time to time over the years on this forum I am sure that we can all let bygones be bygones at this sad time. RIP Stu: to the angels high above; I'll see you behind the goals mate.

MSK
20-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Sad to hear, RIP Stuart 🇳🇬

Iggy Pope
20-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Stuart was the main man on here when I started posting in 01/02. A great Hibernian. R.I.P.

BroxburnHibee
20-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Sad news. RIP

DaveF
20-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Well said James.

RIP Stuart.

Frazerbob
20-05-2019, 07:37 PM
That’s really sad news. Another Hibby gone far too soon.

hhibs
20-05-2019, 07:38 PM
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Stuart Crowther sadly passed away last night after a short illness.

Stu was responsible for the TANESH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!

On 30 June 1999, Stuart registered the hibs.net domain name and soon thereafter founded this very website and forum. A few years later Stuart moved to Hibs in an official capacity as New Media Manager, playing an instrumental role in the establishment of HibsTV. Stuart thereafter "retired" to Moray in 2010 where he remained engaged in local community journalism, including as community editor for STV Local and playing a leading role in the insidemoray website.

Stu would have turned 66 this coming Saturday and was relishing a move to the East Stand next season to support the Hibs: yet another taken far too young. I am told that Linda and the family have asked to be left to come to terms with his passing of their own accord at this time.

While there were some differences had with Stuart from time to time over the years on this forum I am sure that we can all let bygones be bygones at this sad time. RIP Stu: to the angels high above; I'll see you behind the goals mate.

Sad loss, RIP.

cabbageandribs1875
very sad news indeed, sincere condolences to all family and friends

RIP stuart

Speedway
I knew Stuart right from the start of this online adventure.

God bless you, SC, for all you did for the club.

Benny Brazil
20-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Very sad news - condolences to his family

RIP Stuart

matty_f
20-05-2019, 07:40 PM
I considered myself a friend of Stu's so I'm really sad to hear of this. Gave me a break when I was getting into writing and I'll always be grateful for that.

franks
20-05-2019, 07:41 PM
R.i.p.

Beefster
Sorry to hear that. Very sad news.

Pretty Boy
Sad news. RIP SC.

hibbyfraelibby
RIP Stuart

Silversand
20-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Sad news.

RIP Stuart.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

04Sauzee
Extremely sad news. Life is far to short, thoughts are with his family and friends

TheHarpy76
Before my time posting on here. But heard nothing but good things about him.

rip Stuart.

stoneyburn hibs
RIP Stuart

GonzoReturns
20-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Very sad news

offshorehibby
20-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Sad news indeed condolences to Stuart's family RIP

Viva_Palmeiras
20-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Ffs - that’s 2 folks I know in the space of 24 hrs taken far too soon.

I never got to meet Stuart but exchanged a few emails over the years and in some ways have him to thank for opening a whole new world t lo me through the Hibs list and it was he who advised me to get along to London Hibs - the venue of which (the long-gone Holyrood in Wells St where as luck would have it I met my future wife and the rest they say is history) glad I got to thank him albeit “virtually”

A fabulous legacy he’s left for the Hibs Online community.

RIP Stuart.

Hibstash
Stuart always crossed my mind from time to time wondering if he was still following the Hibs. The main man when I posted here back in 2000/01.

RIP Stuart.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hibernian blade
RIP Stuart.
A total gentleman I am so sorry to hear this news.

Jim44
20-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Stuart was the main man when I joined Hibs.net many moons ago. He was very good at what he did and did a few favours for me back then. Very sad to hear this news. RIP, Stuart.

mim
20-05-2019, 07:47 PM
RIP Stuart

Frank Moon
20-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Very sad news. Had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he was a real Hibs man with the Club very close to his heart. RIP

Gerard
20-05-2019, 07:51 PM
RIP Stuart.

esdxc37
20-05-2019, 07:51 PM
R.I.P. Stuart had a lot of good chat when Hibs net was in its infancy.

BSEJVT
20-05-2019, 07:52 PM
RIP Stuart

Was very prominent on here when I first started posting

Eaststand
20-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Very sad news.
RIP Stuart and condolences to all family and friends.

GGTTH

rcarter1
20-05-2019, 07:55 PM
RIP Stuart, the first name I associated with Hibs and the internet, for me back in 1998. Sad news.

Bostonhibby
20-05-2019, 07:56 PM
A right loss to the Hibs family.

RIP.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
20-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Very sad news. Met Stuart on a number of occasions

magnificent_seven
20-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Sad news indeed. Rest in Peace.

Hibbyradge
20-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Very sad news.

Every time I have a dram of Highland Park, I think of Stuart because I remember him telling me in the Persevere many years ago, that it was his favourite malt.

I haven't seen or heard of him for a long time so his taste in Whisky may have changed, but it'll always remind me of him.

R.I.P. Stuart.

HibbyKeith
20-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Sincere condolences to his family and loved ones. another taken too soon.

Rest easy Stuart.

spike220
20-05-2019, 08:10 PM
RIP

He will have the best seat on the house at Easter Road next Season.

Hibs net is a great legacy for us all.

GordonHFC
20-05-2019, 08:18 PM
RIP Stuart

Stevie Reid
20-05-2019, 08:21 PM
This is really sad news. Condolences to Stuart’s family.

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Very sad news. RIP.

AFKA5814_Hibs
20-05-2019, 08:32 PM
RIP Stuart. First met him when I was a member of the Hibs List in 1998.

Tobias Funke
20-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Sad news. RIP.

...WentToMowAnSPL
20-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Sad to hear. RIP

Ray_
20-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Truly shocked by this, sincere condolences to Linda and family, I remember Hibsnet in its infancy very much Stuart's [and Linda's] baby, I even bought the T-Shirt, so to speak, which was a way to collect funds for the enterprise before the private members came in to being. R.I.P Stuart, you will be much missed.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-05-2019, 08:35 PM
If there was a Hibs.net hall of fame Shirley he’d be inducted...

Captain Trips
20-05-2019, 08:38 PM
RIP Sir

banchoryhibs
20-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Very sad news. RIP Stuart

Jonnyboy
20-05-2019, 08:46 PM
When I first met Stuart I was editor of Mass Hibsteria and he lured me away to work with him on Hibs.net including the period it was involved with the 'Rivals' set up. In time I got the opportunity to work with him on the matchday programme and the introduction of what was then called Hibs Interactive and is now Hibs TV. Stu gave me the chance to commentate on games and that was a dream come true for me.

Sadly, we had a falling out but I hold no grudge and will always be grateful to him for the opportunities he gave me.

Condolences to Linda, the family and his many friends; RIP Stu

The 90+2
20-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Very sad news. Wonderful chap. RIP Stuart.

Joe6-2
20-05-2019, 08:50 PM
R. I. P. Condolences to family, a big loss

Dan Sarf
20-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Never spoke to him, never met him, never knew him, but, through the miracle of hibsnet, he was an important part of my life. R.I.P.

bawheid
20-05-2019, 08:53 PM
I notice it’s a lot of the old skool posting on this thread. Like many I was around Hibs.net from around 1999 when Stu was the man in charge. He was a trailblazer when it came to Hibs on the internet.

Sad news. RIP Stu.

Sherlock Jones
20-05-2019, 08:53 PM
R.i.p.

trev the hat
20-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Very sad news, RIP Stuart.

Peevemor
20-05-2019, 08:59 PM
I remember him from here but also following his live text "commentary" on Hibs Interactive via a 56k modem (it was almost quicker to wait for the Pink).

RIP Stu.

darwenhibby
20-05-2019, 09:03 PM
RIP Stuart
His legacy must be how this site has brought the Hibs family together from all over the world
This site has been brilliant for all Hibees outside Edinburgh and keeping us informed of all things Hibs
66 too soon

The Pointer
20-05-2019, 09:06 PM
I never met Stewart although I contacted him away back when I was just starting to explore this kind of social media, so it's desperately sad to hear of his passing. A good Hibby.

haagsehibby
20-05-2019, 09:18 PM
I also never met him but had some email contact during the hibs-list days when I lived in Holland when he helped with some computer problems I was having. He seemed to be a good chap. There was a good atmosphere on that list as I recall and was a godsend for expat Hibbys. I seem to remember that the list was on a server in a Geology department in a university in the States somewhere (Wisconsin??)

Biggie
20-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Tragic news, RIP Stuart

JeMeSouviens
20-05-2019, 09:28 PM
I also never met him but had some email contact during the hibs-list days when I lived in Holland when he helped with some computer problems I was having. He seemed to be a good chap. There was a good atmosphere on that list as I recall and was a godsend for expat Hibbys. I seem to remember that the list was on a server in a Geology department in a university in the States somewhere (Wisconsin??)

Saskatoon in Canada.

Topographic Hibby
20-05-2019, 09:28 PM
RIP Stuart. Like a few are saying here, never met him, but had a few exchanges on here when dot net was on the Rivals (?) forum. I think he even helped me with some Visual Basic programming I was working on at one stage!!

Remember him going to work for the club too.

Sorry to hear of his loss and offer my condolences to his family and those close to him.

JeMeSouviens
20-05-2019, 09:37 PM
I remember writing* to Stu’s fanzine (and Mass Hibsteria) to publicise Colin Macpherson’s “Hypertext Hibs”, afaik the first ever Hibs presence on the internet. To my surprise I got an email back and Stu’s band of email contacts joined with mine became the hibs-list. 25 years ago this year! He and Gregor were the driving force of Erinweb which became hibs.net and here we are.

Really sad and shocking news. RIP Stu.

* with like paper and envelopes and stuff, ask your Dad.

dp00
20-05-2019, 09:37 PM
I remember when he used to run a Hibs radio station from his hut back in the day and going round where loads of us squeezed in to talk all things Hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
20-05-2019, 09:55 PM
I remember when he used to run a Hibs radio station from his hut back in the day and going round where loads of us squeezed in to talk all things Hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m another who first came into contact with him through the Hibs List, and remember with affection the radio broadcasts from his back hut, which back then were the bees knees for us down under.

Like another couple of posters on here, I too had a falling out with Stewart, long since forgotten about, and I always wondered how he was doing, presuming he moved north once he stopped working for Hibs, and had remained off the radar for years.

Sad to hear that he has gone so young, and my condolences to his family..

CraigHibee
20-05-2019, 09:55 PM
definitely recognise the name.

Rest In Peace Stuart

Bishop Hibee
20-05-2019, 10:01 PM
Sad news. Hibs via the internet was a great discovery when I was in Oz in 98/99. Stuart was at the forefront of it and I’m thankful. RIP.

IWasThere2016
20-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Saw mention of Stuart passing on Facebook and gutted to hear this news. We shared a love of the Hibs and Balvenie, and he was a top bloke.

RIP pal.

oldbutdim
20-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Remember him from the Rivals.net days, and meeting him to buy a tee shirt at the airport........... Athens game maybe?

Sorry to hear another big Hibs man is no more.

The Green Goblin
20-05-2019, 10:24 PM
The end of an era. Stuart’s legacy of this forum, the original Hibs radio (which kept me in touch with Hibs and brought me closer to home from far away shores back in the late 90s/early 2000s), Hibs TV plus everything else he did for the club and fans is worthy of acclaim by any standards. Rest in Peace Stuart and thank you for everything you did.

ChilliEater
20-05-2019, 11:17 PM
Sad news indeed. I'm another who never met him, but e-mailed and talked on the phone as he sorted me out for a 2001 cup final ticket when I was working down south. A good Hibs man who has left a lasting legacy with a prominent role in the early development of fan websites. Thank you Stuart. RIP

Hibernia&Alba
20-05-2019, 11:37 PM

Stu was responsible for the TANEHSH (The Absolutely Non-Essential Hibernian Supporters Handbook) fanzine in the mid 1990s and was a key member of the hibs-list e-mail mailing list and the International Hibs Supporters Club in the mid to latter part of that decade. I still vividly recall assisting Stuart with some of the inaugural hibs-radio broadcasts from the back of the old West Stand in the late 90s!

A legacy he left to us all. RIP sir; we all owe him a thank-you.

The Harp
20-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Sad to hear about Stuart's passing. I met him a few times over the years but didn't know him well. He seemed one of life's good guys and his Hibs credentials were top drawer.
Condolences to Stuart's family and friends.

RIP

HibeesLA
21-05-2019, 01:22 AM
Very saddened to hear of Stu's passing. Stu was great to myself and the family over the years. Genuinely warm and friendly guy. Thoughts go to Linda and the family and his friends back home at this time.

kaimendhibs
21-05-2019, 04:08 AM
Very sadnews. R.I.P

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

micka_weer
21-05-2019, 05:14 AM
RIP Stuart, like others have said, he was the Hibs.net main man when I joined. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Silky
21-05-2019, 05:30 AM
Very sad to hear this. I remember Stuart from the early days of the site when I was away from home at university and used the site all the time as my hibs fix. Had some correspondence with him over the years and seemed a good guy
R.I.P Stuart

GloryGlory
21-05-2019, 06:22 AM
RIP, Stuart.

Have a dram in the Highland Park distillery in the sky! :flag:

Condolences to family and friends.

Scott Allan Key
21-05-2019, 06:26 AM
Things were different when Stu was around. Sad to hear. Hope he's in a better place and his family come to terms with their loss. RIP.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kojock
21-05-2019, 06:27 AM
Sad news, RIP Stuart.

Brizo
21-05-2019, 06:28 AM
For a wee while I did a column for his magazine TANEHSH and although he didn't agree with much, if anything , I wrote he always gave me free reign and printed whatever I wanted to say. I thought that said a lot about him.

RIP Stuart

StokePogesHibs
21-05-2019, 06:37 AM
Still fondly remember the text commentary of the games and going crazy when Harper scores the winner against Hearts in 1998/9. His legacy lives on in Hibs TV and the various fan pages on t’internet. Rest In Peace.

lyonhibs
21-05-2019, 06:43 AM
I recognise the name, seems like he was one of the founding fathers of .net, for which we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

MB62
21-05-2019, 06:56 AM

:shocked:

Had never heard Stu was not keeping great recently, really sad to hear he has passed away, at only 66. Stu helped me personally a few times over the years and I was always very grateful to him for that.
R.I.P Stu, you will be missed by many.

malcolm
21-05-2019, 07:06 AM
Sad to hear. He liked my Hibs cartoons and was even paying me a small amount to use them at one time - no accounting for taste is there :wink:

Hibrandenburg
21-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Stuart was Mr Hibs Net when I first signed up. It was a revelation for Hibs fans living abroad who could finally reconnect to the wider Hibs family. That and all the good things this forum has achieved over the years is an incredible legacy to leave. Thanks Stuart!!!!

hibee
21-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Sad news, a well known name when I registered on here.

Thoughts with his family and friends.

PeeJay
21-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear of Stuart Crowther's passing - what with his involvement in this site and HIbs TV he provided a welcome new lifeline for me to my old club, even though I was no longer in Scotland - never met him, emailed on occassion about various issues, part of his lHibs egacy lives on in this site and the TV site and for that many, many thanks - RIP

G B Young
21-05-2019, 07:52 AM
At a time when the internet was very much in its infancy for most folk, Stuart Crowther was a leading light in opening up communication between Hibs fans in a way few could previously have imagined. He worked extremely hard to do so and I was sorry to hear of his passing.

PapillonVert
21-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Very sad news. As many have said, Stu was the main man when I first signed up to Hibs.net and was the man to go to if you had any issues with the site.

RIP, Stu, and very many condolences to family and friends.

GGTTH

iwasthere1972
21-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Very sad to hear. RIP.

Brummie_Hibs
21-05-2019, 08:47 AM
My heart just sank when I saw the headline.

I met Stuart many times via Hibs List, when I would come up from Birmingham to the Persevere for pre and post match drinks.

I used to do bits of design work for the various football enterprises he got involved in - logos, badges and leaflets.

I lost contact with Stuart and that Preserver crowd, but often I used to think about what happened to him after he left hibs.net.

Fond memories when you Stuart, Jamesie and WillieD came down to stay with me for the Telford friendly (The Great Adventure).

Really sad to read this.

brog
21-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Sad news indeed. as mentioned earlier Stuart was a good friend to London Hibs & a contributor to our fanzine, Hibees Here, Hibees There. One wee amusing story to hopefully lighten a sombre day. Stuart was with us when we took Eddie Turnbull as London Hibs guest to a Spurs game where Eddie met up with his old adversaries, Bill Nicholson & some of his double winning team. Tommy Hanmer from that team came up to Eddie & said, " I remember playing against you Jocks, you weren't a bad team." " Not a bad team?" said the bold Ned, " We f****d you 5-1!!" Well Stuart could be forthright in his manner & speech but I've never seen him struck silent before, we were both bent over, partly in embarrassment but mainly to stifle our laughter.
A real sad loss is Stuart!

InchHibby
21-05-2019, 09:38 AM
So sad to hear of this, I was brought up in the same area as Stewart and admired what he did for the Hibs cause.
At 66 years of age another taken too soon.
RIP Stewart and condolences to all your family.

JimBHibees
21-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Sad news indeed. as mentioned earlier Stuart was a good friend to London Hibs & a contributor to our fanzine, Hibees Here, Hibees There. One wee amusing story to hopefully lighten a sombre day. Stuart was with us when we took Eddie Turnbull as London Hibs guest to a Spurs game where Eddie met up with his old adversaries, Bill Nicholson & some of his double winning team. Tommy Hanmer from that team came up to Eddie & said, " I remember playing against you Jocks, you weren't a bad team." " Not a bad team?" said the bold Ned, " We f****d you 5-1!!" Well Stuart could be forthright in his manner & speech but I've never seen him struck silent before, we were both bent over, partly in embarrassment but mainly to stifle our laughter.
A real sad loss is Stuart!

Brilliant story thanks for sharing that.

Gregor
21-05-2019, 10:03 AM
James was kind enough to get in touch yesterday to let me know the awful news. Reflecting on his passing, and therein, the time we spent working together on Hibs content, is heartbreaking.

I'm very certain I am not alone in the opinion that Stu was, at many times, an infuriating person to deal with. I mean that in a positive sense because it was frankly impossible to keep pace with his relentless enthusiasm. The guy put 100% into everything, into the direction and vision of the online presence of Hibs ; which myself and many others were able to contribute to.

He ruffled more than a few feathers, but that was arguably one of his strengths. He could grasp the nettle. He could and would make the difficult decisions. More often than not, he was proven right (e.g. moving to rivals, changing direction of the site to forums and the birth of Hibs.net). Except for his use of Comic Sans ... which was unforgivable. And I still maintain I was right about the dark green & gold branding on Erin web versus his parma violet version ; digging back through archive.org has proven me right ;)

I'm just recalling now as I type this, just before the move to rivals, he was kind enough to get in touch and explain the rationale. I was long since involved in the site (work + life took priority!) but the fact he took the time to get in touch was a measure of the man.

Also, he never elaborated how he smoothed over the situation with Rod Petrie after one of our news digests when out to subscribers with "Alex Miller" replaced with his more appropriate moniker. I suspect without his diplomatic intervention, I could have been the victim of a 90s version of Jobbygate as Sir Rod was reportedly as incandescent as my beamer is right now.

I'm beginning to only realise now what I was able to contribute thanks to his support, and I feel somewhat ashamed to have not considered this until now. I'm thankful to have known him, to have worked with him and in debt to him for enabling me to see side of the football club that would have been otherwise impossible.

RIP Stu.

GGTTH

-Gregor-

JeMeSouviens
21-05-2019, 11:01 AM
James was kind enough to get in touch yesterday to let me know the awful news. Reflecting on his passing, and therein, the time we spent working together on Hibs content, is heartbreaking.

I'm very certain I am not alone in the opinion that Stu was, at many times, an infuriating person to deal with. I mean that in a positive sense because it was frankly impossible to keep pace with his relentless enthusiasm. The guy put 100% into everything, into the direction and vision of the online presence of Hibs ; which myself and many others were able to contribute to.

He ruffled more than a few feathers, but that was arguably one of his strengths. He could grasp the nettle. He could and would make the difficult decisions. More often than not, he was proven right (e.g. moving to rivals, changing direction of the site to forums and the birth of Hibs.net). Except for his use of Comic Sans ... which was unforgivable. And I still maintain I was right about the dark green & gold branding on Erin web versus his parma violet version ; digging back through archive.org has proven me right ;)

I'm just recalling now as I type this, just before the move to rivals, he was kind enough to get in touch and explain the rationale. I was long since involved in the site (work + life took priority!) but the fact he took the time to get in touch was a measure of the man.

Also, he never elaborated how he smoothed over the situation with Rod Petrie after one of our news digests when out to subscribers with "Alex Miller" replaced with his more appropriate moniker. I suspect without his diplomatic intervention, I could have been the victim of a 90s version of Jobbygate as Sir Rod was reportedly as incandescent as my beamer is right now.

I'm beginning to only realise now what I was able to contribute thanks to his support, and I feel somewhat ashamed to have not considered this until now. I'm thankful to have known him, to have worked with him and in debt to him for enabling me to see side of the football club that would have been otherwise impossible.

RIP Stu.

GGTTH

-Gregor-

Well said Gregor. :agree:

I'm struggling to remember the moniker, was it B*****d F***? :greengrin

Wull
21-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Very sad news, although I only had a few dealings with him in the early .net years, he made a positive impression, RIP

Numptie
21-05-2019, 01:14 PM
RIP Stuart. I worked with him for a short time in the civil service. Always good chat about hibs - before the internet was even thought about!!

Dalkeith Boy
21-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Shocked and deeply saddened to hear about Stuart. I met with Stuart and John Campbell at the Persevere in 2002 when Stuart and John got tickets for my brother and I for the Cup Final and we met up again when Stuart and John visited Toronto....those were very nice evenings we had together. Condolences to his family and friends

richard_pitts
21-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Sad news and will be sorely missed. RIP :boo hoo:

jacomo
21-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Very sad to hear this news. Condolences to his family and friends.

hibbie02
21-05-2019, 03:52 PM
That is very sad news indeed. I met Stuart many times in the early days of this site and also when he came to a London Hibs do (see comment by Brog earlier). A great Hibby who wanted to do what he could to bring supporters together in support of our Team. RIP Stuart

heidtheba
21-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Sad to hear this. I don't attend the games, and haven't for a long time, but my continuation in following Hibs is more down to this website than anything else.

PS. He wasn't the gentleman who owned a sports bookshop along from Mr Boni's in the mid-90s as well was he?

JeMeSouviens
21-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Sad to hear this. I don't attend the games, and haven't for a long time, but my continuation in following Hibs is more down to this website than anything else.

PS. He wasn't the gentleman who owned a sports bookshop along from Mr Boni's in the mid-90s as well was he?

No, but they were friends.

Ollie Reed
21-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Very sorry to hear the news of Stuart's passing.

He could divide opinion back in the day (greatly!), that's what forums are for, but personally found him friendly and warm in the brief occasions within his company. His love and passion for Hibernian can never be questioned.

Plus, if it weren't for Stuart, I wouldn't have the valuable friendships I made with certain people on this site which has remained to this day, so forever grateful on that score.

RIP Stuart.

LH Webmaster
21-05-2019, 05:09 PM
It’s hard to believe that one of the stalwarts of Hibs Interactive, TANEHSH and Hibs.net is no longer with us. I heard yesterday from Jamesie and I’ve been trying to gather my memories of Stuart.

As has been said, he could be difficult at times, but I never had a problem with him, in fact he helped me immensely when setting up the (now defunct) London Hibs website. When he was down for one of our Burns Nights he took time out to come to my house in Wokingham to “show me how it’s done”.

One other memory was being asked by him to type up the text commentary for a Hibs game, him at the end of a mobile phone (probably brick sized in those days!) at the game and me sitting in front of my PC connected to internet via dial up modem (the kids these days don’t know how lucky they are!). I told him at the time that it was more stressful doing that than my day job (Air Traffic Controller) as my 2 fingered typing couldn’t keep up. He got someone else to do the second half!

I’m sure that some permanent memorial at ER will be thought of in the coming months but let’s just remember the innovations he brought to the club, and pass our condolences to Linda and their family.

P.S. This sad occasion has given me the excuse to replenish my Highland Park supply, which I will be sampling later tonight - Slainte Stuart, and RIP :(

jgl07
21-05-2019, 05:59 PM

His name was (Ian?) Murray. I used to drink with him in the Persevere. He got rid of the shop and moved the business on-line many years ago.

MGmick
21-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Very sad to read this. As far as I recall from back in the early 2000's this place was very much Stu's baby. Met him once in 2001 on the bus back from when we used to lose Scottish Cup Finals, quite intense but a good guy. We shared a common link with Caithness Hibs from the late 70's.
66 is far to early, RIP Stuart and my condolences to your family.

Peevemor
21-05-2019, 08:37 PM
His name was (Ian?) Murray. I used to drink with him in the Persevere. He got rid of the shop and moved the business on-line many years ago.I think I was at school with him (Longstone then Firrhill).

CalgaryHibs
21-05-2019, 08:49 PM

Yes very sad indeed rip pal

heidtheba
21-05-2019, 08:56 PM
I think I was at school with him (Longstone then Firrhill).

I got my ticket for the Gordon Hunter Tynie game from his shop. Happy days. Incredible the work Mr Crowther put into Hibs. I never met him but I'm very glad he saw this day three years ago.

Purple & Green
21-05-2019, 09:03 PM
RIP Stuart, from all at the bounce.

I first got to know Stuart on the hibs list in 1998, as indeed did quite a few others on this thread by the looks of it. I met up with Stuart in Pilton when he was taking over the official website, and I managed to convince him that he needed a content management system to make it work. I Failed miserably to convince him of any of the systems I suggested and he chose something completely different. That meeting still makes me chuckle.

son of haggart
21-05-2019, 10:18 PM
That's sad to hear. Having nearly went myself last year and lost my mum and brother within a year I can empathise with what his family must be going through. Had a few e mail exchanges in the early days when the forums were a new thing, and he was moderating the first trolling and arguments and language. Also sent him an autographed Hibs Real madrid programme shortly before he left the site, as he was reminiscing about the game but lacked the programme. His enthusiasm and dedication were obvious and infectious

Little Miss Perfect
21-05-2019, 10:24 PM
RIP Stuart

stu in nottingham
21-05-2019, 11:10 PM
I will say I was taken aback last evening to hear that Stuart had passed away – far too young. I’d like to acknowledge a debt I have to him. It’s not important to say but Stuart and I had our sparring sessions over the years. Happily, the very last time I shared his company though it was over a pleasant and convivial meal at a mutual friend’s home in the hours before a Hibs cup-final appearance at Hampden.

I admired Stuart’s passion for the Hibs and connecting, like some others here, in the Erin and Rivals days, I’d like to also acknowledge his drive in pushing the online Hibs community forwards. That also became important in a very personal way to me as I connected with a whole new group of HIbs people back home and from far and wide. I can easily say that some of those people have became life-long friends who I value in my life greatly and are very dear to me. You know who you are. For this I owe Stuart in having the opportunity to meet them.

Aside from differences of opinion, there were fun and interesting times back in those early days especially. It’s been noted by a few on this thread, the sessions in Stuart’s shed. It was famously called ‘Kack in the Shack’ in those days and was a treat. Recall the midweek evenings connecting with friends and acquaintances on the chatroom there – not before the initial sitting down with a bottle of beer, a dial up connection and a short prayer for a good connection. Great fun with great friends. The answer to the quiz question was 'Colin Stein' by the way...

So, farewell Stuart. My hope is that his latter years in Lossie have been happy ones. My sincere condolences and thoughts go to Linda and all his loved ones and friends.

Sleep well, fellow Hibee.

Haymaker
22-05-2019, 03:11 AM
Rip.

worcesterhibby
22-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Rest in peace sir

ElginHibee
22-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Sad news. Remember the time he was the man here, RIP Stuart, this site has helped keep me in the Hibby loop away from home.

GrandmasterSuck
23-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks to admin for allowing me to register to pay a wee tribute to Stuart.

I edit FollowFollow.com, a Rangers messageboard.

I first met Stuart around 2000 in the build up to the launch of Rivals.net and he was bringing Hibs.net into it and I was launching FF online. Over the following years both in his role with hibs.net and with Hibernian FC he was unfailing helpful and courteous - even if his sense of humour could take a little getting used to. :wink:

He built a community which meant that for a couple of years I think I am correct in saying Hibs.net was the biggest fan forum in the UK.

We didn't always see eye to eye but his observations were heart-felt and usually worth taking heed of. He loved his club and was a credit to it.

Many thanks for the memories - condolences to his friends and family.

c31
23-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Met Stuart way back when we first started playing with this new html stuff. I had Hibs page hosted on a Napier college server and the first time I met him was at an Internet cafe in town, where the evening news was doing piece on this new ‘thing’ I think there was about 8/10 of us there. Probably still got the photo somewhere. Anyway a year later or so as we got on ok I did a tiny bit for the rivals site. He told me one day about when he was in the RAF, he went awol to watch Hibs in the 1979 final and was jailed on his return. The night of the 2nd replay his jailor told him that a player called Duncan has scored the winning goal and Stuart sang Hibs songs in his cell all night. Wasn’t till he was released the next day he found out it was an own goal.
RIP Stuart

FranckSuzy
23-05-2019, 10:19 PM
I first met Stuart in 1998 when I met up with him to hand over pennants etc from the Oz Hibs branch. Unfortunately, it was at the Stranraer game and we got beat 1-2 but sadly it was also the day of the Omagh bombing so the result paled into insignificance. He asked me if I was going to the game and when replied I wasn't he invited me into the press box - where he was providing typed commentary - to watch the game, which was really decent of him.

He was big character and has left an even bigger legacy so RIP Stuart.

IberianHibernian
23-05-2019, 11:04 PM
Very sad news . I never met Stuart in person but exchanged emails in early years of Hibs TV ( or whatever it was caused then ) when he always went to great lengths to help when there were technical problems or folk like me who were desperate to follow the Hibs but were disasters with computers . He was also very helpful helping overseas fans when big matches came up - I almost missed the 2007 LC final cause of a fire which affected the Eurostar but he arranged for me to pick up tickets , not the only time he gave his own time to help fans . The number of overseas fans on this thread is evidence of how much he went out of his way to help fans who often had no other contact with the club . Certainly noone at the club has shown nearly as much if any , interest in Hibernian fans who don`t live within easy travelling distance of the Holy Ground since then .
Occasionally ( ? ) subject of " flag debates " comes up here . I remember original flag debates here when SC was fairly clear in his anti traditional stance while at the same time remembering how he`d made Irish flags with his pals as a lad and including For Ever and Ever in the Hibernian song book here before younger fans criticised him for it . Examples of how much our club meant to him .
RIP Stuart

JimBHibees
24-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Met Stuart way back when we first started playing with this new html stuff. I had Hibs page hosted on a Napier college server and the first time I met him was at an Internet cafe in town, where the evening news was doing piece on this new ‘thing’ I think there was about 8/10 of us there. Probably still got the photo somewhere. Anyway a year later or so as we got on ok I did a tiny bit for the rivals site. He told me one day about when he was in the RAF, he went awol to watch Hibs in the 1979 final and was jailed on his return. The night of the 2nd replay his jailor told him that a player called Duncan has scored the winning goal and Stuart sang Hibs songs in his cell all night. Wasn’t till he was released the next day he found out it was an own goal.
RIP Stuart

What a great story, thanks for sharing. The one about the 79 final, what a nightmare.
RIP.

Jamesie
27-05-2019, 10:27 AM
For all who knew Stuart, his funeral service will be held at the Graham Rattray Funeral Home, Shore Street, Lossiemouth. The service will take place at 11am on Friday 31 May. All welcome who wish to attend.

KWJ
27-05-2019, 12:42 PM
I only briefly met Stuart the once but I had great admiration for him in setting up this forum and website of which I've spent over half my life. He was also very helpful with Hibs interactive and I'm grateful to what it became.

Glory Glory Stuart.

NAE NOOKIE
27-05-2019, 12:54 PM
RIP Stuart, condolences to his family and friends.

MGmick
31-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Just thought I'd like to refresh the news of Stu's death. He was the Father of this site as far as I understood in the early 2000's
RIP.