PDA

View Full Version : 21st of May

el hibs
20-05-2019, 08:21 AM
As we approach the 21st I wonder if anybody else is still doing wee things to make themselves chuckle and remember the day in May?

My watch alarm goes off at 4.45 every day as a reminder that we've won the cup.

I currently take too much satisfaction from road cameras that tell you how fast your driving. I like the ones that say thank you. So, I aim for it to say, '18 thank you' in a 20 zone and '28 thank you' in a 30 as a way of saying thanks to McGinn and Stokes.

Alongside this, I have been on the look out for shopping with the 21st of May. Having milk expiring on the 21st felt necessary.

Speedy
20-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Much of that day was a blur but one thing that stands out is coming back on the bus wondering what the time was, glanced at my phone... 19:02 :greengrin

Jones28
20-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Much of that day was a blur but one thing that stands out is coming back on the bus wondering what the time was, glanced at my phone... 19:02 :greengrin

I seem to see 19:02 as the time more than any other notable number nowadays.

I was teaching my four-week-old daughter to say "thank you sir David for giving us the cup" as part of her morning routine. We have a picture of him in the kitchen. Other than I think I'll just be playing g the day over again, for example I was just off the train at this time on that day.

Since452
20-05-2019, 09:07 AM
i watched the last 15 minutes on Youtube after a few too many on Saturday night and felt nervous despite knowing what happens. Three years later i still dont think its sunk in yet.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-05-2019, 09:39 AM

I did that too! ☺

SouthMoroccoStu
20-05-2019, 09:51 AM

The exact time the official Hibs website released the article reporting on the win

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6523

Coincidence? :greengrin

Since452
20-05-2019, 10:37 AM
The exact time the official Hibs website released the article reporting on the win

Still impossible to read without welling up.

Northernhibee
20-05-2019, 04:33 PM
I can’t watch it without welling up three years on. My old man had been very unwell and it looked as if he was on his way out. He’s recovered but from some of the lowest days of my life to the very best in two weeks, what that game of football did for my family can’t be overspoken.

The 90+2
20-05-2019, 04:39 PM

FFs name is wrong.

The_Horde
20-05-2019, 04:57 PM
I'm very superstitious and on the 21st of May every year since 2016 I copy my exact movements of that day.

I wake up in the same hotel room and put on the very same clothes I had on that day. From the hotel I walk to the pub for a few before walking to Hampden (via the bookies) signing hibs songs.

I then break into Hampden and stay in the stands until the game would be finished. Then the whole stadium erupts and I invade the pitch around about full time and leather my cardboard cutout of tavernier right in the face, before stealing some turf and having a bounce on the goalposts.

Smartie
20-05-2019, 05:36 PM
2016 - Watched Hibs lift Scottish Cup

2017 - Conceived first child

2018 - Watched "Time for heroes" for the first time with slightly bemused (let's face it - totally oblivious) 12 week old

2019 - ????

stokesmessiah
20-05-2019, 05:45 PM
I really appreciate you all being so excited about my birthday tomorrow. The Hibs family cares...

HibeeHibernian4
20-05-2019, 06:34 PM
I really appreciate you all being so excited about my birthday tomorrow. The Hibs family cares...

That must have been some day! Take it you were at the game celebrating?

Hillsidehibby
20-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Anthony Stokes. Man love 😍

jax67
20-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Really hope smelticwin 5-1 or 6-0.

Ryan91
20-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Gonna sit down tomorrow and watch Time for Heroes with the Persevered Tshirt on.

Also need to think of a name for the 21st of May - *THAT* Day? Sir David Gray Day?

stokesmessiah
20-05-2019, 08:41 PM
That must have been some day! Take it you were at the game celebrating?

The word blur springs to mind.

AltheHibby
20-05-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm very superstitious and on the 21st of May every year since 2016 I copy my exact movements of that day.

I wake up in the same hotel room and put on the very same clothes I had on that day. From the hotel I walk to the pub for a few before walking to Hampden (via the bookies) signing hibs songs.

I then break into Hampden and stay in the stands until the game would be finished. Then the whole stadium erupts and I invade the pitch around about full time and leather my cardboard cutout of tavernier right in the face, before stealing some turf and having a bounce on the goalposts.

😂

Halmyre Hibee
20-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Missed the game as I had a slipped disc. Watched in an armchair on TV bubbling my eyes out when I jumped up when Sir David Gray headed in the winner to a mixture of pain mixed with exhuberance.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2019, 05:57 AM
Are The Harp & Castle having their annual showing of the game?

Jones28
21-05-2019, 06:14 AM

Brilliant 😂

DarlingtonHibee
21-05-2019, 06:16 AM
Was in the hibs club on Saturday, sure I saw a poster, saying they had a few things on, including the whole game.

sauzee=legend
21-05-2019, 06:38 AM
Happy 21st of May 😉 🏆 🇳🇬
Happy 3rd birthday

Since452
21-05-2019, 07:08 AM
21st of May is a date up there with my child's birthday and my wedding anniversary. Special day for every Hibby.

Frazerbob
21-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Are The Harp & Castle having their annual showing of the game?

Don’t know but the Hibs Club are.

Frazerbob
21-05-2019, 07:24 AM
21st of May is a date up there with my child's birthday and my wedding anniversary. Special day for every Hibby.

Funny my wedding anniversary is up there with 19/5/12.....days I’ve wiped from the memory!

Pretty Boy
21-05-2019, 07:25 AM
Fantastic weekend and one I hope I never forget.

Of course the game was fantastic but the memories of the day after in the Links with various generations of my family and friends, thousands of Hibs fans smiling in the sunshine and seeing Stubbs, Gray, Stokes et al holding the cup aloft on top of the bus still makes me smile every single time I think about it.

For months after that day I walked around like a massive weight had been lifted from my shoulders, it was like walking on air. A weekend that was a once in a lifetime moment for any football fan. I daresay we'll win cups again but that one will always be special.

southsider
21-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Don’t know but the Hibs Club are.

Is it a cup final (2019) free day

we are hibs
21-05-2019, 09:20 AM
That game was so crucial for the future of the club. If we had lost the gates would have dropped and we would have been getting crowds of 5-6k every other week. We desperately needed it. That whole weekend won't be topped even if we win it again. It will never be as unique as that. I was still buzzing a week later

21-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Best day of my life. Absolutely wonderful in every way. Being there with my old man was very very special indeed along with the many other family members and friends who I've been going to the games with since I was wee.

The whole cup run really couldn't have been scripted any better tbh-

1) Raith - 1st goal of the run scored by life long hibee McGreagor
2) Hearts being 2-0 up at tynecastle, their fans giving it big about 1902 etc then making a **** up of it in the last 10 mins
3) Putting hearts out under the floodlights in front of a packed ER. The SoL was unbelievable as well.
4) Inverness. A win up there in the replay, a place we have struggled at over the years.
5) Dundee Utd semi final. Up steps big Conrad to be the hero (what a story! 16 months out then 1st game back does that!)
6) 2-1 down with 15 mins to go thinking "here we go its happening again" then up steps Stoksey then Sir David the captain in injury time to win it. BEAUTIFUL absolutely ****ing BEAUTIFUL!

The parade the following day was just surreal. People crying in joy, everyone there with their loved ones, SoL at the links etc. Just amazing amazing memories.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-05-2019, 09:27 AM
don’t know but the hibs club are.

1500 ko?

Pretty Boy
21-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Best day of my life. Absolutely wonderful in every way. Being there with my old man was very very special indeed along with the many other family members and friends who I've been going to the games with since I was wee.

2) Hearts being 2-0 up at tynecastle, their fans giving it big about 1902 etc then making a **** up of it in the last 10 mins
3) Putting hearts out under the floodlights in front of a packed ER. The SoL was unbelievable as well.
4) Inverness. A win up there in the replay, a place we have struggled at over the years.
5) Dundee Utd semi final. Up steps big Conrad to be the hero (what a story! 16 months out then 1st game back does that!)
6) 2-1 down with 15 mins to go thinking "here we go its happening again" then up steps Stoksey then Sir David the captain in injury time to win it. BEAUTIFUL absolutely ****ing BEAUTIFUL!

The parade the following day was just surreal. People crying in joy, everyone there with their loved ones, SoL at the links etc. Just amazing amazing memories.

Number 4 is probably the one that stands out for me the most. A few days after we had lost the LC final in the cruelest possible way. I travelled up in hope but expected a scrappy defeat by the odd goal. To win in the way we did showed real character and cemented the idea in my mind that that Hibs team was a bit different.

One Day Soon
21-05-2019, 09:48 AM

It is the definitive Scottish Cup win of all time. The romance of the cup will never be better illustrated. A film script come to life.

Still tear up, as I am now, remembering the sheer joy of it.

lyonhibs
21-05-2019, 09:53 AM
The exact second of the final whistle is the purest, most intense moment of undiluted pleasure and relief I will ever experience in my life.

What a day, even watching from afar.

21-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Number 4 is probably the one that stands out for me the most. A few days after we had lost the LC final in the cruelest possible way. I travelled up in hope but expected a scrappy defeat by the odd goal. To win in the way we did showed real character and cemented the idea in my mind that that Hibs team was a bit different.

Absolutely. Took real strength and guts to pick ourselves up after the LC final defeat where we had suffered a cruel blow. We went up there and fought hard to take ourselves back to Hampden for another crack at silverware.

21-05-2019, 09:57 AM
The exact second of the final whistle is the purest, most intense moment of undiluted pleasure and relief I will ever experience in my life.

What a day, even watching from afar.

The relief, the ecstasy, the sheer emotion of it all. Just indescribable and something not many get to experience.

PatHead
21-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Agree that day was the best in my life. Was on the way to Hampden just now. Well the pub before it anyway.

Have to disagree with your comment about Hearts ****ing it up though. The draw was all down to us not accepting we were beaten. The team, and the fans for that matter just would not accept we were going out.

Back to the final though, I still have goosebumps thinking about it and hello to anyone from Pathhead reading this. Long time no see.

21-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Agree that day was the best in my life. Was on the way to Hampden just now. Well the pub before it anyway.

Have to disagree with your comment about Hearts ****ing it up though. The draw was all down to us not accepting we were beaten. The team, and the fans for that matter just would not accept we were going out.

Back to the final though, I still have goosebumps thinking about it and hello to anyone from Pathhead reading this. Long time no see.

Hearts ****ed up in the sense that they completely underestimated us. At 2-0 they thought the game was done. We showed such bottle and resilience, something that in the past we have lacked especially at tynecastle. 2-0 down at tynecastle with a Butcher/Calderwood/Fenlon etc team and we would have crumbled. That team however was different and we gave hearts something they were not expecting.

Frazerbob
21-05-2019, 10:46 AM
1500 ko?

Don’t know

Superfurry72
21-05-2019, 10:53 AM
My wedding day got moved from May 21 to June 4 on my best man’s advice “just in case we get to the final”. My daughter was also born in November that year. That was some hat-trick.

One Day Soon
21-05-2019, 11:14 AM
My wedding day got moved from May 21 to June 4 on my best man’s advice “just in case we get to the final”. My daughter was also born in November that year. That was some hat-trick.

That is superb. I don’t know what the equivalent of the ball would be in those circumstances but whatever it is, you should get to keep it.

zitelli62
21-05-2019, 11:31 AM
***k sake I still get a tear in my eye thinking about the day I hope that never changes it was once in a lifetime stuff I was not sure whether to go or not as I thought if I dont go we might win as I had been there for years of misery by God I'm glad I decided to go nothing will ever stop that day even if we win it again and again I'm glad I went with my son and had tears for family members who are no longer with us I still say to my son that it was his grandad who lifted sir David up to make sure we scored as it was the anniversary of his passing so it went from a sad day to me to a happy day and that is how my dad would want it.

GGTTH
happy 21 may everyone.

Since452
21-05-2019, 12:05 PM

The 2-2 derby was my birthday and the win at Tynecastle this season was my wedding day. Strange how it happens.

CRAZYHIBBY
21-05-2019, 12:12 PM
I watched the game on tv... the kids arent interested in football but ill never forget the look on their faces when that header went in and me and the mrs jumped off the couch shouting YESSSSSSSS and jumping around like lunatics......best moment of my life.......kids needed an underwear change

SouthMoroccoStu
21-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Can you rank these 3 in order of importance? :greengrin:wink:

Superfurry72
21-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Can you rank these 3 in order of importance? :greengrin:wink:

🤔😀 funnily enough, I rewrote my groom speech after 21/5 so that my opening lines were “ladies and gentlemen, this is the greatest day of my life. And as you all know, there has been some serious competition for that accolade recently. I am, of course, referring to the day I found out I was going to be a father!”

HibeeHibernian4
21-05-2019, 01:36 PM
This always gets me tearing up a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJK5TadcnU

SouthMoroccoStu
21-05-2019, 01:54 PM
🤔😀 funnily enough, I rewrote my groom speech after 21/5 so that my opening lines were “ladies and gentlemen, this is the greatest day of my life. And as you all know, there has been some serious competition for that accolade recently. I am, of course, referring to the day I found out I was going to be a father!”

lol

My wife hates it when I refer to 21/5/2016 as the greatest day of my life

Maybe my next wife will be more understanding - or make sure I marry a hibee next time

Haymaker
21-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Happy 21st of May everyone.

thorbs
21-05-2019, 03:41 PM
This always gets me tearing up a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJK5TadcnU

Anyone got the highlights video but with the bagpipes over the commentary? saw it on facebook a couple of times and had a lump in my throat every time.

The Harp
21-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Think we should mark this special day from here on in.

21st May = Sir David's Day.

hfc rd
21-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Just everything about that day and the parade at Leith Links the next day was simply terrific. One of the best weekends of my life.

I remember when we went 2-1 down, I said to my mate that we ain’t out of this and if we manage to score the next goal - we will go onto win.

When Henderson delivered first time and Stokesy equalised, you could just tell that our name was written on the cup. And the winner by Sir David Gray... happened so quickly that I only just remember falling down to my knees just speechless on what we were on the cusp of doing, only to be bear hugged and kissed on my forehead by my mate and celebrating with everyone around us.

21/05/16 is up there with the day I got married and had my first kid. Just an amazing, special day

one day maybe...
21-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Watching the game again just now, still 1-1, know the final score and I’m still nervous 😂

One Day Soon
21-05-2019, 07:31 PM

Sitting in the car waiting for the boy to come out of his swimming training, greeting my eyes out watching that. Not seen it before and it's a heavenly match of images and music.

Onion
22-05-2019, 12:26 AM
In the words of Lou Reed, just a perfect day. From the lack of expectation, to the unexpected start (never seen Hibs lead a SCF), to the police leaving for a party at Ibrox, to our unexpected equaliser, to the “Jees, we’ve got a real chance”, to SDG’s defiance in the face of 114 years of mocking history. Time For Heros, Sevco statements. Goading. SOL. Sunday Parade. Rainbow over ER. We did it Dad. Everything, every little detail was .. a perfect.

There will never, ever be an occasion like it again. Don’t care. We were there.

Haymaker
22-05-2019, 01:25 AM
We were there.

Yes we were. :agree:

Haymaker
22-05-2019, 01:32 AM
It's going to be strange in 20 years posting on this forum when a whole new group of posters will not have been born/able to remember that day. We could win a ton of trophies in that time but THAT day...

I suppose it's like my dad, he was there for 0-7, Stanton lifting the cup...

And some on here who saw Joe Baker, the Famous Five...

Strange and in some way incomprehensible. However I am looking forward to it.

I thank my Dad (surreyhibbie) for raising me a Hibs fan.

I was THERE.

I was there.

Superfurry72
22-05-2019, 06:45 AM
That is superb. I don’t know what the equivalent of the ball would be in those circumstances but whatever it is, you should get to keep it.

😃 My wee girl is two and-a-half now and she knows the words to Sunshine On Leith already! It’s been a popular bedtime song choice 🎵 🛌😀

telford hibbee
22-05-2019, 07:33 AM
It's going to be strange in 20 years posting on this forum when a whole new group of posters will not have been born/able to remember that day. We could win a ton of trophies in that time but THAT day...

I was THERE.

I was there.No doubt about it Turnbulls tornadoes were a fabulous team to watch and support, but they never came close to giving me the feelings I got on that day in May or indeed for the next few months.

surreyhibbie
22-05-2019, 07:43 AM

I was THERE.

I was there.

:top marks

One Day Soon
22-05-2019, 07:47 AM
In the words of Lou Reed, just a perfect day. From the lack of expectation, to the unexpected start (never seen Hibs lead a SCF), to the police leaving for a party at Ibrox, to our unexpected equaliser, to the “Jees, we’ve got a real chance”, to SDG’s defiance in the face of 114 years of mocking history. Time For Heros, Sevco statements. Goading. SOL. Sunday Parade. Rainbow over ER. We did it Dad. Everything, every little detail was .. a perfect.

There will never, ever be an occasion like it again. Don’t care. We were there.

Perfect.

Newry Hibs
22-05-2019, 07:44 PM
I read the match thread in the vault. At 2-1 down, the last post on page 6 just says 'Corner hibs'.

The next pages are just brilliant.

Haymaker
22-05-2019, 11:23 PM
No doubt about it Turnbulls tornadoes were a fabulous team to watch and support, but they never came close to giving me the feelings I got on that day in May or indeed for the next few months.

True but that wasn't quite what I was getting at, more that certain posters saw these awesome teams, players etc which I never did and they post about this game, that player etc...

Imagine when we have to explain to someone who cannot comprehend how we felt about THAT day.

It's going to be so strange but... It's going to be awesome.

Col2
22-05-2019, 11:30 PM
The following days and the summer was just awesome as well.

I look back at photos on my phone from 21st May onwards - the celebrations, the gifs, family pics with the Scottish cup, merchandise, you tube videos, summer holidays (drunk reflecting on the greatest moment and pride that is just difficult to describe), the Europa games and level of support, the euros and then the start of the season with Neil Lennon and amazing atmosphere in ER.

May to July just epic.