PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 19 05 19)

Jonnyboy
19-05-2019, 06:48 PM
The final day of our season and my last offering before going into the break saw Hibs turning in a cracking performance but somehow contriving to lose the game to an Aberdeen side that proved more lethal in front of goal.

On an emotion filled afternoon it was hard watching my team play so well and lose. In truth, with Aberdeen quite often chasing shadows it would be a misrepresentation on my part to suggest we dominated for most of the game, but we played some lovely stuff that deserved a better outcome.

One change was made to the starting eleven when Horgan replaced Kamberi, or at least I thought he had because although listed as a sub in the club’s notification of line ups, Flo was nowhere to be seen and instead Ryan Gauld was on the bench. Either the notification was wrong or Flo dropped out for some reason.

The Dons had something to play for in trying to secure third place and a European slot but in the opening exchanges it was Hibs that looked as though they were in that position, although Rocky had a couple of early routine stops to make. At the other end, a free flowing move saw Gray free on the right and when a low cross was delivered, Murray got a touch but was denied by Cerny. That effort was quickly followed by both Horgan and McNulty testing the keeper with the Dons struggling to cope with the open and expansive play of the hosts.

A couple of free kicks allowed the Dons to get shots on goal but the first hit the wall and the second was easily gathered by Marciano. Aberdeen were doing what Aberdeen do in committing a series of niggly fouls, many of them on Omeonga and many of them going unpunished by this week’s inept official, Euan Anderson. Despite that, Hibs stayed on the front foot and a couple of McNulty efforts saw a save from Cerny and an effort that flashed just wide of the post.

Around the twenty five minute mark Hibs made the breakthrough when the impressive Fraser Murray dinked a delightful ball behind McKenna which allowed McNulty to fire home as the keeper bore down on him. It was a lovely set up and offered a glimpse of what Murray can bring to the team which was emphasised moments later when he curled a superb shot beyond the diving Cerny but which flew just wide of goal.

With half time on the horizon, a delightful chip by Mallan picked out the unmarked McNulty about ten yards from goal. Only Sparky knows why he didn’t get a header on target as for some reason he decided to head it back across the box and the Dons defence cleared the danger. Still Hibs pushed forward, hoping to double their lead but in doing so they were caught out by a counter attack when McLennan, who caught the eye with his speed and close control, raced down the left before delivering a cross into the box which was not cleared and which Cosgrove fired past Marciano to give his side an undeserved equaliser.

The second half was more even although Hibs still enjoyed the bulk of the play and created early chances which McNulty and Murray could not convert. When a super ball from Omeonga found Gray racing down the right the full back floated a cross into the area which Murray headed down but sadly straight at the keeper. It perhaps looked like an easy chance but there was no pace in the cross and Murray had to try and generate that pace as well as keeping his header down.

Next, Mallan released Horgan with a fine pass and the Hibs man was really unlucky to see his curling effort beat the keeper but fly wide of the post. Moments later and very much against the run of play, Aberdeen took the lead when Wilson was allowed the space and time to thump a shot beyond Marciano. That was a sickening blow as the visitors did not deserve their lead but in fairness, they took their chances and we didn’t.

Shortly after that goal the three home stands stood as one to applaud the efforts of Milligan and to welcome the introduction of Marvin Bartley who was handed the armband by David Gray. Big Marv kinda split opinions in his time at ER but there is no denying just how popular he was with the fans.

Cerny was in action again when David Gray popped up in the six yard box but his left foot effort was straight at the keeper. Marciano then saved from Cosgrove and then Cerny from Stevenson. It was interesting to see our full backs so far forward and in general the quality and standard of play throughout had me wishing there were more games left to play this season.

Deep into time added on, Mackay-Steven went down under a challenge from Gray and almost before the Dons player hit the turf, Euan Anderson was pointing at the spot. It might well have been a penalty but given Mackay-Steven’s reputation and the fact that he seemed to go down in instalments certainly had me querying the award. As it was, Cosgrove’s blast at goal was saved by Marciano and the ball was cleared to safety.

When the final whistle blew the Dons players and fans celebrated the outcome whilst the Hibs players looked dazed to have lost out. Once the loathsome Graeme Shinnie had finally departed the scene the Hibs players and staff came out with their families for the lap of recognition and I was pleased to see that the stands looked to be at least half full. As they walked round, it was obvious big Marv was feeling very emotional and it warmed the heart to see just how much he was applauded by the fans.

The season is now over and big changes are on the way. Not so many months ago we feared a lowly bottom six finish but managed fifth thanks to a long unbeaten run and I believe the head coach and his staff and players deserve a lot of praise for taking us there. I loved some of the stuff we played today and if Hecky can get the right people in, I look forward to more of the same next season.

The players

Rocky – Ofir stood no chance with either goal but saved the penalty effort well. Otherwise, he had little to do although he did get my heart rate up with a shimmy in the box when challenged by a Dons player.

SDG – David is an inspirational captain and as always, gave everything he had today. When Aberdeen equalised he was caught out of position but that’s because he was driving us forward and our midfield gave away cheap possession.

Daz – Sam Cosgrove is like a slimmed down Ikpeazu, in that they are both battering rams. Cosgrove will go home knowing he’s been in a game because Daz was superb today and wins my man of the match award.

Paul – I don’t recall any glaring mistakes and I felt he had a decent game against the pacey James Wilson. Like Daz and Lewis he was dragged into the centre of the box when Wilson scored the winner but once again the initial error was made in midfield.

Lewis – The wee man has the heart of a lion and he showed that today. Aberdeen a very physical but that didn’t put Lewis off as he defended well and got forward more often than of late.

Daryl – For me, Daryl is a bit of an enigma as he can be very good at times but is also guilty of disappearing out of games for a while. Today I thought he was mostly average with the odd thrilling run thrown in.

Stephane – When he was subbed his departure looked very much like a goodbye to me. I like the laddie but I feel he struggles at times with the physical aspects of the game although today he was treated roughly on numerous occasions with the referee turning a blind eye.

Stevie – I said to my brother today that too many Hibs players pass the ball and then stand still. Mallan was the exception as he passed and moved and was always available for the ball. Some of his passes were sublime and he’s clearly been working on the physical aspect of things.

Millsy – Bizarrely, given this was his last game I thought he turned in one of his better performances but he did look shattered when he was subbed.

Fraser – I was chuffed that Hecky kept him in the starting eleven and other than the odd pass going astray I thought he did really well. His pass to Sparky for the goal was out of the top drawer.

Sparky – Good to see Marc back on the scoresheet though I do realise it might be his last in a Hibs jersey. I’ll miss his non-stop movement but suspect opposing defenders will be glad to see the back of him.

Marv – The big fella was on the pitch for at least five minutes before he got a touch of the ball! The outpouring of affection from the stands was truly moving but it will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets when he comes to ER with Livi next season.

Oli – Only got the last ten minutes and wasn’t able to get involved enough to make a positive or negative impression.

Viki – Much like Shaw he had no time to influence things.

Hecky – I’ve not read or heard his post-match comments but I feel sure that despite the disappointment of defeat he’ll be pleased with much of what he witnessed today.

The fans – At times it was very quiet today, certainly in the home stands but as I said earlier I’m glad a significant number stayed behind to acknowledge the team and coaching staff.

Euan Anderson – Top marks to the whistler as he maintained the high level of ineptitude displayed by his colleagues this season.

04Sauzee
19-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Mallan has added so much to his game over the last couple of months. Could be a huge player next season. Looks stronger, fitter and faster than he did earlier in the season

Billy Whizz
19-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Agree with everything JB, best I’ve seen us play for weeks. Very few long balls, played through the midfield, really enjoyed most of our performance today
Absolutely gutted to lose the game, but you need to take your chances

JP1302
19-05-2019, 07:22 PM
The final day of our season and my last offering before going into the break saw Hibs turning in a cracking performance but somehow contriving to lose the game to an Aberdeen side that proved more lethal in front of goal.

On an emotion filled afternoon it was hard watching my team play so well and lose. In truth, with Aberdeen quite often chasing shadows it would be a misrepresentation on my part to suggest we dominated for most of the game, but we played some lovely stuff that deserved a better outcome.

One change was made to the starting eleven when Horgan replaced Kamberi, or at least I thought he had because although listed as a sub in the club’s notification of line ups, Flo was nowhere to be seen and instead Ryan Gauld was on the bench. Either the notification was wrong or Flo dropped out for some reason.

The Dons had something to play for in trying to secure third place and a European slot but in the opening exchanges it was Hibs that looked as though they were in that position, although Rocky had a couple of early routine stops to make. At the other end, a free flowing move saw Gray free on the right and when a low cross was delivered, Murray got a touch but was denied by Cerny. That effort was quickly followed by both Horgan and McNulty testing the keeper with the Dons struggling to cope with the open and expansive play of the hosts.

A couple of free kicks allowed the Dons to get shots on goal but the first hit the wall and the second was easily gathered by Marciano. Aberdeen were doing what Aberdeen do in committing a series of niggly fouls, many of them on Omeonga and many of them going unpunished by this week’s inept official, Euan Anderson. Despite that, Hibs stayed on the front foot and a couple of McNulty efforts saw a save from Cerny and an effort that flashed just wide of the post.

Around the twenty five minute mark Hibs made the breakthrough when the impressive Fraser Murray dinked a delightful ball behind McKenna which allowed McNulty to fire home as the keeper bore down on him. It was a lovely set up and offered a glimpse of what Murray can bring to the team which was emphasised moments later when he curled a superb shot beyond the diving Cerny but which flew just wide of goal.

With half time on the horizon, a delightful chip by Mallan picked out the unmarked McNulty about ten yards from goal. Only Sparky knows why he didn’t get a header on target as for some reason he decided to head it back across the box and the Dons defence cleared the danger. Still Hibs pushed forward, hoping to double their lead but in doing so they were caught out by a counter attack when McLennan, who caught the eye with his speed and close control, raced down the left before delivering a cross into the box which was not cleared and which Cosgrove fired past Marciano to give his side an undeserved equaliser.

The second half was more even although Hibs still enjoyed the bulk of the play and created early chances which McNulty and Murray could not convert. When a super ball from Omeonga found Gray racing down the right the full back floated a cross into the area which Murray headed down but sadly straight at the keeper. It perhaps looked like an easy chance but there was no pace in the cross and Murray had to try and generate that pace as well as keeping his header down.

Next, Mallan released Horgan with a fine pass and the Hibs man was really unlucky to see his curling effort beat the keeper but fly wide of the post. Moments later and very much against the run of play, Aberdeen took the lead when Wilson was allowed the space and time to thump a shot beyond Marciano. That was a sickening blow as the visitors did not deserve their lead but in fairness, they took their chances and we didn’t.

Shortly after that goal the three home stands stood as one to applaud the efforts of Milligan and to welcome the introduction of Marvin Bartley who was handed the armband by David Gray. Big Marv kinda split opinions in his time at ER but there is no denying just how popular he was with the fans.

Cerny was in action again when David Gray popped up in the six yard box but his left foot effort was straight at the keeper. Marciano then saved from Cosgrove and then Cerny from Stevenson. It was interesting to see our full backs so far forward and in general the quality and standard of play throughout had me wishing there were more games left to play this season.

Deep into time added on, Mackay-Steven went down under a challenge from Gray and almost before the Dons player hit the turf, Euan Anderson was pointing at the spot. It might well have been a penalty but given Mackay-Steven’s reputation and the fact that he seemed to go down in instalments certainly had me querying the award. As it was, Cosgrove’s blast at goal was saved by Marciano and the ball was cleared to safety.

When the final whistle blew the Dons players and fans celebrated the outcome whilst the Hibs players looked dazed to have lost out. Once the loathsome Graeme Shinnie had finally departed the scene the Hibs players and staff came out with their families for the lap of recognition and I was pleased to see that the stands looked to be at least half full. As they walked round, it was obvious big Marv was feeling very emotional and it warmed the heart to see just how much he was applauded by the fans.

The season is now over and big changes are on the way. Not so many months ago we feared a lowly bottom six finish but managed fifth thanks to a long unbeaten run and I believe the head coach and his staff and players deserve a lot of praise for taking us there. I loved some of the stuff we played today and if Hecky can get the right people in, I look forward to more of the same next season.

The players

Rocky – Ofir stood no chance with either goal but saved the penalty effort well. Otherwise, he had little to do although he did get my heart rate up with a shimmy in the box when challenged by a Dons player.

SDG – David is an inspirational captain and as always, gave everything he had today. When Aberdeen equalised he was caught out of position but that’s because he was driving us forward and our midfield gave away cheap possession.

Daz – Sam Cosgrove is like a slimmed down Ikpeazu, in that they are both battering rams. Cosgrove will go home knowing he’s been in a game because Daz was superb today and wins my man of the match award.

Paul – I don’t recall any glaring mistakes and I felt he had a decent game against the pacey James Wilson. Like Daz and Lewis he was dragged into the centre of the box when Wilson scored the winner but once again the initial error was made in midfield.

Lewis – The wee man has the heart of a lion and he showed that today. Aberdeen a very physical but that didn’t put Lewis off as he defended well and got forward more often than of late.

Daryl – For me, Daryl is a bit of an enigma as he can be very good at times but is also guilty of disappearing out of games for a while. Today I thought he was mostly average with the odd thrilling run thrown in.

Stephane – When he was subbed his departure looked very much like a goodbye to me. I like the laddie but I feel he struggles at times with the physical aspects of the game although today he was treated roughly on numerous occasions with the referee turning a blind eye.

Stevie – I said to my brother today that too many Hibs players pass the ball and then stand still. Mallan was the exception as he passed and moved and was always available for the ball. Some of his passes were sublime and he’s clearly been working on the physical aspect of things.

Millsy – Bizarrely, given this was his last game I thought he turned in one of his better performances but he did look shattered when he was subbed.

Fraser – I was chuffed that Hecky kept him in the starting eleven and other than the odd pass going astray I thought he did really well. His pass to Sparky for the goal was out of the top drawer.

Sparky – Good to see Marc back on the scoresheet though I do realise it might be his last in a Hibs jersey. I’ll miss his non-stop movement but suspect opposing defenders will be glad to see the back of him.

Marv – The big fella was on the pitch for at least five minutes before he got a touch of the ball! The outpouring of affection from the stands was truly moving but it will be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets when he comes to ER with Livi next season.

Oli – Only got the last ten minutes and wasn’t able to get involved enough to make a positive or negative impression.

Viki – Much like Shaw he had no time to influence things.

Hecky – I’ve not read or heard his post-match comments but I feel sure that despite the disappointment of defeat he’ll be pleased with much of what he witnessed today.

The fans – At times it was very quiet today, certainly in the home stands but as I said earlier I’m glad a significant number stayed behind to acknowledge the team and coaching staff.

Euan Anderson – Top marks to the whistler as he maintained the high level of ineptitude displayed by his colleagues this season.

Bit harsh on Horgan imo ..

Thought he had a decent game today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GloryGlory
19-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Praising with faint damns! :greengrin

Greenbeard
19-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Agree Daz MOTM. Don't know how Sparky got the announcement. Not that he was bad but offside too often and should have bulleted that header goalward.
Really good team performance, pleasing despite the undeserved loss.

greenlex
19-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Bit harsh on Horgan imo ..

Thought he had a decent game today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought he was blowing out his arse earlier than usual today and his lack of tracking back at the time directly contributed to Aberdeen’s first goal. He really needs to address this.

greenlex
19-05-2019, 07:52 PM
My motm was Daz’s kid at the end. Covered every blade of grass.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2019, 07:54 PM
My motm was Daz’s kid at the end. Covered every blade of grass.

Was he the wee lad at the front?
Hilarious he was

HappyAsHellas
19-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Agree with most but it was Hanlon's shocker of a free kick which gave them their first goal.

superfurryhibby
19-05-2019, 08:03 PM
A good summary, as always.

A disappointing result after a decent enough performance. I thought young Murray showed up well and shows a lot of promise.

Overall we were the better side, but we lacked the guile to profit from our superiority.

McGregor was my MOTM comfortably, I also thought Mallan had a very good first half, but his influenced waned in the second.

greenlex
19-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Was he the wee lad at the front?
Hilarious he was
That’s the one Billy.:thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
19-05-2019, 08:28 PM
That’s the one Billy.:thumbsup:

Quicker than his dad🤣

greenlex
19-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Quicker than his dad🤣 😂😂

Stantons Angel
19-05-2019, 10:55 PM
darren's wee boy was magnificent. So confident running in front of the following pack Kept stopping to look back and wave his dad forward,

Took it all in his stride and loved every minute.

hfc rd
19-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Agree with most but it was Hanlon's shocker of a free kick which gave them their first goal.

Yep. He slipped in the box at the crucial moment for that goal.

JohnM1875
19-05-2019, 11:52 PM
Agree with most of that.

Mallan was sublime for about 50 minutes then absolutely shocking after that. Surprised he stayed on. He's still young and will definitely approve, just frustrates me so much! You can see what he's capable of. Just wish he could do it for 90 minutes.

Smartie
20-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Agree with most of that.

Mallan was sublime for about 50 minutes then absolutely shocking after that. Surprised he stayed on. He's still young and will definitely approve, just frustrates me so much! You can see what he's capable of. Just wish he could do it for 90 minutes.

That's going to be one of PH's toughest decisions.

We've got a few players who are clearly capable but woefully inconsistent. Does he find a way to get 90 minutes out of them every week, does he manage their game time or does he bin them?

brog
20-05-2019, 04:31 PM
It was my 1st home game of the season John so gives me a chance to calibrate our opinions! I wouldn't take great exception to any of your comments but just a few thoughts from me.
1. The winning goal came directly from our goal kick. Now I'm sure it's an agreed tactic for Rocky to aim for SDG but IMO we need to drive the ball, and send it longer rather than float it for the opposing defence to attack. When Aberdeen won the ball in the air they immediately had a 4 on 3 only 30-40 yards from our goal. They took full advantage, partially due to Stevie May's lack of a decent touch!
2. I thought Daz was excellent in defence but I never really feel too comfortable with him on the ball.
3. Stevie Mallan is a far better player than I thought. His movement & vision was 1st rate. I understand now why he was voted POTY by his peers.
4. I thought Daryll had a good game.He did disappear at times but he provides us with much needed flair, pace & has 2 good feet.
Thanks for all your reports John,greatly appreciated.

ancient hibee
20-05-2019, 05:22 PM
And the move for the first goal came from a Hanlon free kick direct to an Aberdeen player.So at both goals we originally had control of the ball.

brog
21-05-2019, 10:36 AM
And the move for the first goal came from a Hanlon free kick direct to an Aberdeen player.So at both goals we originally had control of the ball.

Agreed. The difference was with the Hanlon error Aberdeen still had to get past our midfield & defence. With Rocky goal kick it was SDG who failed to win the ball so Aberdeen were immediately at our back 3 as SDG was out of play. I'm more concerned about the latter because that's a failing in our set up, not just an individual error.

BSEJVT
21-05-2019, 10:50 AM
I get that we played at a very high tempo for the first half an hour or so, but some players were absolutely burst after that.

IMO their goals came as much from that tiredness, causing us to not track runners as it did from the errors themselves.

It amazes me that even after a full season some of these players, Horgan for example (whom I like so this isn't a witch hunt) is so completely ineffectual after an hour that he needs subbed virtually every game.

I have wondered often this season if as a team we are as fit as we could / should be.

JimBHibees
21-05-2019, 04:33 PM
It was my 1st home game of the season John so gives me a chance to calibrate our opinions! I wouldn't take great exception to any of your comments but just a few thoughts from me.
1. The winning goal came directly from our goal kick. Now I'm sure it's an agreed tactic for Rocky to aim for SDG but IMO we need to drive the ball, and send it longer rather than float it for the opposing defence to attack. When Aberdeen won the ball in the air they immediately had a 4 on 3 only 30-40 yards from our goal. They took full advantage, partially due to Stevie May's lack of a decent touch!
2. I thought Daz was excellent in defence but I never really feel too comfortable with him on the ball.
3. Stevie Mallan is a far better player than I thought. His movement & vision was 1st rate. I understand now why he was voted POTY by his peers.
4. I thought Daryll had a good game.He did disappear at times but he provides us with much needed flair, pace & has 2 good feet.
Thanks for all your reports John,greatly appreciated.

Looking back that was an awful goal to lose. Our goal kick and agree a poor floated kick the central midfielders have to be thinking what happens if we lose the header neither got anywhere near getting back to cover their move. They did take it well to be fair to them.

ancient hibee
21-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Agreed. The difference was with the Hanlon error Aberdeen still had to get past our midfield & defence. With Rocky goal kick it was SDG who failed to win the ball so Aberdeen were immediately at our back 3 as SDG was out of play. I'm more concerned about the latter because that's a failing in our set up, not just an individual error.

I think Marciano’s kicking is the worst part of his game.Sometimes his short passing is very casual and often requires our player to turn to collect it.And floating the ball further forward gives the advantage to the other team to attack the ball coming towards it.