PDA

View Full Version : Today's Referee

Chorley Hibee
19-05-2019, 05:16 PM
That wasn't incompetence, or any other excuse, that we witnessed today - it was blatant cheating!

I really hope Hibs dump the diplomatic silence we adhere to, and start calling these frauds out for what they are.

I know it's bad when my wife (who doesn't know the first thing about football) actually started laughing at some of the decisions today.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Was there anything in particular he did to enrage you so?

I thought he was ok, fwiw. He possibly could have given a couple more fouls for McNulty, but cheating? Nah.

hibIBZ
19-05-2019, 05:21 PM
I thought he was the worst person on the pitch today. The penalty was a shocker imo, he was desperate to give it. The way their players hold and make contact before throwing themselves to the ground was a disgrace and he allowed them to do it. 4 times fouls went on their favour where an Aberdeen player made contact and held first for them to then haul the Hibs player down after and the free kick went their way. Shocking performance

staunchhibby
19-05-2019, 05:26 PM
What chance have we got when a linesman could not even get a shy for hibs correct.

JimBHibees
19-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Thought he was awful what was the booking count 5 for Hibs. Ferguson constantly fouled Stephane allgame and no fouls given then omeonga booked. Milligan gets booked for next to nothing, Ball gets the point round warning no yellow then clears out Omeonga. Both cod grove and left winger blatant dives ignored and as for the penalty. Dear oh dear.

DaveF
19-05-2019, 05:28 PM

I thought he was ok, fwiw. He possibly could have given a couple more fouls for McNulty, but cheating? Nah.

I thought he gave most of the wrestling contests to Aberdeen. Didn't you?

lord bunberry
19-05-2019, 05:28 PM
I was in the south today and was right behind the penalty decision. It’s the first penalty I’ve seen given for a long time where the player didn’t go down after the challenge and that little prick doesn’t normally need an excuse to go down.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:30 PM
I thought he gave most of the wrestling contests to Aberdeen. Didn't you?

Yes, I did.

Certainly when we were attacking.

jakedance
We’ve played them ten times (I think) in the last two years and every game has been refereed the same. It’s time we wised up about how to play teams like Aberdeen.

Hibbyradge
I was in the south today and was right behind the penalty decision. It’s the first penalty I’ve seen given for a long time where the player didn’t go down after the challenge and that little prick doesn’t normally need an excuse to go down.

I'm pretty sure he did go down.

hibee_girl
19-05-2019, 05:31 PM
How he can give Aberdeen a free kick when their player practically strangled Omeonga I’ll never know.

hibbie02
19-05-2019, 05:33 PM
He was shocking! Even my daughter, going to her first match commented on how biased he was. She also specifically called out Shinnie for the cheat that he is.

It was clearly Sheep tactic to clatter into a Hibs player and then go down like they were shot. The ref fell for it every time. He got the bookings right as they were obvious.

Never seen so many hulking players fall over so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chorley Hibee
19-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Not dismissing your opinion, but honestly can't fathom how you thought his performance was okay.

There was at least half a dozen occasions today that it was clear to all and sundry that a foul had been committed against Hibs, only for him to award it the other way.

Don't even get me started on his reluctance to book one of them or their penalty either.

Second week on the trot we've been done over by the referee.

hibbie02
19-05-2019, 05:35 PM
How he can give Aberdeen a free kick when their player practically strangled Omeonga I’ll never know.

My thoughts too. All Omeonga was trying to do was breathe! It pretty hard to commit a foul when someone is pulling you backwards by the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lord bunberry
19-05-2019, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure he did go down.
Eventually he did. The ref stood there looking at him and waited until he fell down before he pointed to the spot. It wasn’t a penalty for me, he only went down when he realised he wasn’t getting to the ball.

eastcoasthibby

Omeonga and McNulty fouls against for holding back and wrestling McKenna to the ground really, McKenna, Considine and Ferguson's lol leading with forearms to the back of the head and neck when going for challenges. Cosgrove 4 fouls in first half then at least the same the second ..Ferguson dive and rollabout to get Omeonga booked ...Omeonnga and McNulty both pulled back when spinning off their defender to go for a through ball, no foul ! And Shinnie at his usually throwing himself on the ground in every challenge ..the reality is that they do it so often that the law of averages is that they get a high percentage of freekicks for their efforts ...it probably goes without saying that today refs performance ranks amongst one of the most biased I have seen this season ...he was either Willie miller or Richard Gordon's nephew ..😀

Hibbyradge
Not dismissing your opinion, but honestly can't fathom how you thought his performance was okay.

There was at least half a dozen occasions today that it was clear to all and sundry that a foul had been committed against Hibs, only for him to award it the other way.

Don't even get me started on his reluctance to book one of them or their penalty either.

I watched it on Hibs TV. Maybe I got the wrong impression, but Cliff and Keith weren't saying much about the decision making.

It's on Alba now if you want another look.

Chorley Hibee
19-05-2019, 05:46 PM
I watched it on Hibs TV. Maybe I got the wrong impression, but Cliff and Keith weren't saying much about the decision making.

Don't think the wife could put up with my shouting and swearing yet again! 😂

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Don't think the wife could put up with my shouting and swearing yet again! 😂

That's the first half finished and I've seen 1 foul for Aberdeen that I think should have been given and 1, arguably 2, for Hibs.

I'm not going to watch anymore either. I know what happens. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
19-05-2019, 05:55 PM
East Stand linesman was somewhere else i think

Hiber-nation
19-05-2019, 05:55 PM
He was absolutely stinking. Had this incredible knack of missing any initial fouls on Hibs players only to give the sheep a free kick for the Hibs player trying to wrestle them off.

we are hibs
19-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Is it just be or have refereeing performances been worse since we got promoted? Last season I couldn't remember so many farcical calls and weak refereeing and it's continued this season. Zero consistency.

matty_f
19-05-2019, 06:15 PM
He was rank. Infuriatingly bad.

GreenCastle
19-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Scottish Refs are awful - it's nothing new.

Just add to the list of things wrong with the game here.

National Team rubbish.
Hampden rubbish.
Old Firm bias / tv money / league structure needs sorted
SFA should be disbanded - no one trusts them
Sectarian singing ignored
Compliance officer inconsistencies.

Keith_M
19-05-2019, 06:19 PM

:agree:

They constantly fouled Hibs players yet won free kicks for it.

There were two blatant dives that went unpunished.

Joe Baker2
19-05-2019, 06:26 PM
agree. That's the worst referee performance I've seen in a while. McNulty was constantly fouled right in front of him. Aberdeen are the worst divers in the league and this idiot fell for it time and again. Shameful.

lyonhibs
19-05-2019, 06:26 PM
I was there with a St Mirren fan who was equally dumbfounded with what was going on. Some of the grappling and shoving they got away with was bordering on the farcical.

overdrive
19-05-2019, 06:30 PM
East Stand linesman was somewhere else i think

It was as if he had never seen a football match before never mind ran the line at one before.

kaimendhibs
19-05-2019, 06:32 PM

I thought he was ok, fwiw. He possibly could have given a couple more fouls for McNulty, but cheating? Nah.He was absolutely shocking

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
19-05-2019, 06:33 PM
Omeonga was pulled back in the first half, he would have been clean through and it would have been a red card. I don't know how the ref never seen it.

hibeerealist
19-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Maybe take the word of fans that were there, all around the ground they were screaming at the refs shocking decisions ALL the way through the game.

Hard to believe somebody could be SO incompetent and I have no doubt that is where the accusations that perhaps it was something else come from - he was terrible but only for one team!

EL Green
19-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Snide little shoves in the back, little pushes all the time and if that didn’t work they fell over. The ref fell for them all. Useless.

Waxy
19-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Who gives us these refs? Really? Who’s charged with sending out competent referees for our game?

Time for big changes.

coldingham hibs
19-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Maybe take the word of fans that were there, all around the ground they were screaming at the refs shocking decisions ALL the way through the game.

Hard to believe somebody could be SO incompetent and I have no doubt that is where the accusations that perhaps it was something else come from - he was terrible but only for one team!

I received a text message after the game from a totally neutral person who was at the game, not in any way a Hibs or Aberdeen supporter. The message said Hibs threw it away & the referee never gave Hibs much. I think that says it all.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 07:57 PM

What? Can't I have a valid opinion because I don't make the journey up from York every week?

In any case, the TV usually gives you a better view of incidents, particularly as they can be replayed.

Everyone screaming and shouting at the ref doesn't mean that they're right. Group think is a powerful and dangerous phenomenon. :wink:

matty_f
19-05-2019, 08:07 PM
What? Can't I have a valid opinion because I don't make the journey up from York every week?

In any case, the TV usually gives you a better view of incidents, particularly as they can be replayed.

Everyone screaming and shouting at the ref doesn't mean that they're right. Group think is a powerful and dangerous phenomenon. :wink:

No it isn't, just ask everyone on here.

Keith_M
19-05-2019, 08:11 PM

OK, you're right, and everybody that actually watched it in person was wrong.

It's quite right, for instance, that a foul should be awarded against Omeonga for being wrestled to the turf.

Aberdeen players are also quite within their rights to dive to the ground inside the penalty box without being booked.

allezsauzee
19-05-2019, 08:33 PM
I can only assume that the referee and his assistants think that short pulling is permitted within the rules of football because the number of times Aberdeen players blatantly did this without being punished was incredible.

ehf
19-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Here, have some attention.

CMurdoch
19-05-2019, 08:42 PM

I'm with you.
The game in a nutshell was their players took their chances and ours didn't.
The referee didn't cost either team a goal. Obviously the fans that cried wolf at every foul against Hibs didn't agree.

Superfurry72
19-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Scottish Refs are awful - it's nothing new.

Just add to the list of things wrong with the game here.

National Team rubbish.
Hampden rubbish.
Old Firm bias / tv money / league structure needs sorted
SFA should be disbanded - no one trusts them
Sectarian singing ignored
Compliance officer inconsistencies.

Don’t forget plastic pitches

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 09:14 PM
Here, have some attention.

WTF is the point of that comment, if not attention seeking?

Stonewall
19-05-2019, 10:02 PM
I'm with you.
The referee didn't cost either team a goal. Obviously the fans that cried wolf at every foul against Hibs didn't agree.

He didn’t cost either team a goal I agree, but he certainly let them stop us playing.

I was sitting with my Aberdeen supporting father in law and he thought the ref was a joke. He actually laughed out loud at some of the decisions.

BoomtownHibees
19-05-2019, 10:13 PM
I'm with you.

You do know the ref can be ***** (which he was) without having cost us a goal?

CMurdoch
19-05-2019, 11:32 PM
You do know the ref can be ***** (which he was) without having cost us a goal?

It's a problem with humans, they struggle for consistency.
The referee got decisions wrong but the players of both teams failed badly on numerous occasions e.g.
For Aberdeen, Cosgrove shot in the 1st half from a central position and not only missed the goal but managed to hit the advertising boards situated between the FF & the East at a height of about 15 feet!
For Hibs, McNulty about the 35 minutes mark was in masses of space in their box with time to bring the ball down and put it away but inexplicably chose to head the ball back across goal.
Referees and players get things wrong and fans see the match through the prism of their own team. It will always be thus.

oldbutdim
19-05-2019, 11:37 PM
No it isn't, just ask everyone on here.

I'm just quoting that because it deserves to be read again.

:aok:

oldbutdim
19-05-2019, 11:39 PM
He didn’t cost either team a goal I agree, but he certainly let them stop us playing.

I was sitting with my Aberdeen supporting father in law and he thought the ref was a joke. He actually laughed out loud at some of the decisions.

The referee was indeed stinking.

Your father in law is spot on, apart from the laughing bit, because it wasn't ****in funny.

BSEJVT
20-05-2019, 07:12 AM
He was awful

Aberdeen wouldn't have got any more decisions had Derek McInnes been refereeing.

Gloucester Hibs
20-05-2019, 07:27 AM
We’ve played them ten times (I think) in the last two years and every game has been refereed the same. It’s time we wised up about how to play teams like Aberdeen.

This. It's not as if we didn't know what to expect. Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome..

HibbySpurs
20-05-2019, 07:51 AM

This. Aye the ref was shocking but Aberdeen are evidently very good at selling these to refs. It’s how they play, hammer throwers that then play the victim.

I don’t wish injury on anybody but there was a bit of me hoping Shinnie got booted into row Z....

The penalty was a joke tho, I’m in the FF and could tell from there it was never a pen.

jax67
20-05-2019, 08:23 AM

He let Michael Ball foul seven times before booking him, every foul he commuted could have been a booking. Milligan gets booked for an innocuous foul. Double standards?

Brightside
20-05-2019, 08:29 AM
He was very poor, but very poor for both sides.

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 08:59 AM
He was awful

Aberdeen wouldn't have got any more decisions had Derek McInnes been refereeing.

Fortunately for Derek he had son of Derek on the pitch helping the ref out. Will be interesting to see how they get on now Shinnie has left.

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 09:05 AM
This. Aye the ref was shocking but Aberdeen are evidently very good at selling these to refs. It’s how they play, hammer throwers that then play the victim.

I don’t wish injury on anybody but there was a bit of me hoping Shinnie got booted into row Z....

The penalty was a joke tho, I’m in the FF and could tell from there it was never a pen.

Same for me and now having seen replay there is simply no contact and the diver goes down one step at a time. Never a penalty in a million years. The ref couldnt have given it any quicker. Hadnt heard of this ref before so did a google search before the game and apparently another from the Weeg. Are there any refs from outwith the OF main sphere of influence (not from West Central Scotland)?

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 09:07 AM
This. It's not as if we didn't know what to expect. Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome..

What should we do to stop the other team fouling, diving and also getting the bulk of the decisions?

Jones28
20-05-2019, 09:07 AM
I think we should start following the Aberdeen model. Just cheat through games, be sly and snidey. If we were we maybe would at such an appalling record against a team that, footballing ability wise, I actually think we are superior than.

Hibbyradge
20-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Same for me and now having seen replay there is simply no contact and the diver goes down one step at a time. Never a penalty in a million years. The ref couldnt have given it any quicker. Hadnt heard of this ref before so did a google search before the game and apparently another from the Weeg. Are there any refs from outwith the OF main sphere of influence (not from West Central Scotland)?

Why would a ref from Glasgow favour Aberdeen against us?

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Why would a ref from Glasgow favour Aberdeen against us?

Because Derek is well liked through that way.:greengrin

Hibbyradge
20-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Interestingly, about the penalty incident, Cliff Pike said "Clumsy. David Gray did catch GMS. I don't think there's any question about it".

Hibbyradge
20-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Because Derek is well liked through that way.:greengrin

Ha ha. I momentarily forgot about that!

green day
20-05-2019, 09:41 AM

I think most of the refs are from the Glasgow and Lanarkshire branches. Very few East of Scotland, none at all from the North or Aberdeen branches.

Peevemor
20-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Interestingly, about the penalty incident, Cliff Pike said "Clumsy. David Gray did catch GMS. I don't think there's any question about it".

Sometimes his sidekick (Keith or whoever) will see video replays, but Cliff's commentary is based on what he sees from the stand.

And sometimes he talks pish.

And I still don't know who "Dave" is.

Hibbyradge
20-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Sometimes his sidekick (Keith or whoever) will see video replays, but Cliff's commentary is based on what he sees from the stand.

That's my point. The ref doesn't see the replays either.

If that incident had happened in the middle of the pitch to a Hibs player, never mind in the penalty box, everyone here would be wanting a foul.

flash
20-05-2019, 09:55 AM

If that incident had happened in the middle of the pitch to a Hibs player, never mind in the penalty box, everyone here would be wanting a foul.

It doesnt even look remotely like a foul in real time.

CapitalGreen
20-05-2019, 09:55 AM

I'd assume the referee is a lot closer to the action than Cliff Pike is.

ben johnson
20-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Referee Euan Anderson tells Ayr United boss Ian McCall he's sorry for penalty error

The blundering whistler booked Jamie Adams for handball and awarded Alloa Athletic a penalty in their 3-3 draw against Ayr United at Somerset Park.

Hibbyradge
20-05-2019, 10:20 AM

I wasn't surprised it was given. It looked to me like SDG had bumped into GMS causing him to lose his balance and then stumble. That's a foul.

Maybe I'm corrupt like the OP said the referee was. :greengrin

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Agree in real time didn't look like a foul and replay looked like no contact at all. Even if minor contact doesn't mean if the player dives it is a pen.

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 10:40 AM
I wasn't surprised it was given. It looked to me like SDG had bumped into GMS causing him to lose his balance and then stumble. That's a foul.

Even if there was any contact and from TVs don't see any at all Grays right leg is to the side of gms then even if minor bump doesn't mean because player fall over it is a foul. And when you see the contact he allowed the rest of the game that decision is totally the opposite of how he reffed.

Pretty Boy
20-05-2019, 10:50 AM
He was about standard for a grade 1 Scottish referee which is to say he was ****ing awful.

There are better referees operating at lower grades who have been bypassed for these jokers.

weecounty hibby
20-05-2019, 10:59 AM
It's a great big clique if inadequate, incompetent Glasgow and Lanarkshire referees. The standard is getting worse and worse and there seems to be no process for action being taken for poor performance. Yesterday was appalling, let Aberdeen away with murder. Murray skyed a cross over the bar for a goal kick on the 81st minute, one of the defenders then goes down and eventually is subbed, by the time the game restarted it was 85 mins. I gate the way Aberdeen play but they get away with the bkatent cheating due to poor, weak refereeing

flash
20-05-2019, 11:24 AM

He ain't corrupt just useless.

Hibs1969
20-05-2019, 11:47 AM
We've played Aberdeen 5 times this season and lost 4, including 2 games at Easter Road where we were much the better team. The difference for me is that they are more streetwise than us, they know how to play referees and take their chances when they come. They know every trick in the book but when we turn out against them it's almost like we are too naive. We're going to have to learn to play them at their own game a bit more if we want to start competing against them.

matty_f
20-05-2019, 11:52 AM
We've played Aberdeen 5 times this season and lost 4, including 2 games at Easter Road where we were much the better team. The difference for me is that they are more streetwise than us, they know how to play referees and take their chances when they come. They know every trick in the book but when we turn out against them it's almost like we are too naive. We're going to have to learn to play them at their own game a bit more if we want to start competing against them.

I don't want us to play them at their game, I want us to find a way of making our game beat them.

In fairness, with some better finishing in these games, our way of playing would have been more than enough to put Aberdeen away without resorting to any of their nonsense.

Hibs1969
20-05-2019, 12:02 PM
I don't want us to play them at their game, I want us to find a way of making our game beat them.

In fairness, with some better finishing in these games, our way of playing would have been more than enough to put Aberdeen away without resorting to any of their nonsense.
Ideally I would like that too, but the evidence of the last 2 seasons suggests that we don't get anywhere against them by being the nice guys. We have to find a way to play against them better than we currently do. 1 win in 9 games against them isn't good enough.

hibeerealist
20-05-2019, 12:05 PM
He was very poor, but very poor for both sides.

What, surely you were not at the game coming out with that?

What were the bad decisions against the sheep?

hibeerealist
20-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Yes exactly.

BlackSheep
20-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Statements describing Aberdeen's knack of fooling the ref and us playing their game are the best example of how terrible the officials are in our leagues!

The very fact that these statements can be made without a legitimate challenging argument should be enough to prove that something must be done.

As soon as GMS got the ball out on the wing and began making his way into the box, i said to my mate this will be a penalty... and before i get all the sarccy comments about being psychic and all that, you only need to watch how many times GMS and other Aberdeen players play for fouls, especially in and around the box, and you will see exactly what I am talking about.

The officials need retrained or replaced. The inconsistencies across the board, not only at Hibs games is horrible for our game.... I will miss Clarke if he gets the Scotland job, only for his balls to call out the SFA and their wee rubbish refs and assistants!

BlackSheep
20-05-2019, 12:13 PM
What, surely you were not at the game coming out with that?

What were the bad decisions against the sheep?

Yes, I have to agree with this question.... which decisions were Aberdeen denied? It actually got to the point yesterday that we were cheering the ref whenever we got any decision... thats how bad it was!

Kato
20-05-2019, 01:47 PM
I think most of the refs are from the Glasgow and Lanarkshire branches. Very few East of Scotland, none at all from the North or Aberdeen branches.

"Branches"? Is that the "Ludge" you are referring to?

HibeeHibernian4
20-05-2019, 01:50 PM
The standard of referee it takes to keep sides like Aberdeen and Hearts in check is a very high one, to be fair to him. He got a couple of decisions wrong (the penalty was a joke), but I thought he didn't fall for most of Aberdeen's tricks.

SMAXXA
20-05-2019, 01:58 PM
He was garbage anyone that doesn’t think he was is wrong 😉

Jonnyboy
20-05-2019, 08:58 PM

Agree with this, Matty. I just want Hibs to be a bit more streetwise though :agree:

Joe6-2
20-05-2019, 10:23 PM
That wasn't incompetence, or any other excuse, that we witnessed today - it was blatant cheating!

I really hope Hibs dump the diplomatic silence we adhere to, and start calling these frauds out for what they are.

I know it's bad when my wife (who doesn't know the first thing about football) actually started laughing at some of the decisions today.

I’ve said it for long enough, they maybe incompetent also, but I really feel that a lot of cheating goes on too, it’s just so blatant at times

The Green Goblin
20-05-2019, 10:28 PM
I thought the ref was dreadful. Just ridiculous stuff going on.

Greencore
20-05-2019, 10:29 PM
Terrible ref.

Chorley Hibee
20-05-2019, 10:32 PM
I’ve said it for long enough, they maybe incompetent also, but I really feel that a lot of cheating goes on too, it’s just so blatant at times

Agree mate, but we still have people on this thread joking about the word corrupt being used, despite there being a mountain of evidence throughout Scottish football that the game has been rigged for years.

Referees are no exception, indeed there has been proof put forward in relation to the extraordinary amount of referees that make it from Lanarkshire, at the expense of elsewhere, and the fact no Edinburgh referee got the cup final for over 100 years.

We'll continue to be on the receiving end of this crap whilst we continue to turn a blind eye to it.

Shrekko
20-05-2019, 10:51 PM

I agree. I basically couldn’t watch Aberdeen, Hearts or St. Johnstone every week regardless of how ‘effective’ they are.

I was absolutely gob-smacked at how subtle and choreographed some of Aberdeen’s time wasting was. When they go ahead they more or less stop playing football. Harassing refs, knowing how to foul without being booked and using big lumps up top as a focal point just isn’t for me.

Hibs will be good enough to beat these teams next season I think.

Brunswickbill
22-05-2019, 06:09 AM
It’s interesting to see that Ferguson and Cosgrove are two of the worst offenders, young players who have been coached at Aberdeen to play the way they do. One of the tricks that really gets me is when they get a ball at their feet and, instead of moving, they stand still waiting for the approaching opposition player to close in when they promptly fall over. Cosgrove got an early free kick and Ferguson got Omeonga booked doing this.

Their play is very similar to Hertz, anti-football, but they both get away with their diving, protesting, and cynical strategic fouling.

Stonewall
22-05-2019, 07:38 PM
I was in the East directly behind GMS at the penalty and I thought there was a little contact. It looked a soft penalty to me but I was a fair distance away.

What struck me about Aberdeen was how cute they were. Their centre halves were absolutely masters at doing all their fouling on the blind side of the referee and they spend so much time disrupting the opposition that they offer very little in a positive sense.

If you think all that matters in football is the result then Aberdeen are much to be admired. Make no mistake about it they were for the most point unambitious and unable to string any sort of positive move together.

But....they scored twice so job done.

Would I pay to watch it?

No chance.

HibeeHibernian4
22-05-2019, 08:14 PM
It’s interesting to see that Ferguson and Cosgrove are two of the worst offenders, young players who have been coached at Aberdeen to play the way they do. One of the tricks that really gets me is when they get a ball at their feet and, instead of moving, they stand still waiting for the approaching opposition player to close in when they promptly fall over. Cosgrove got an early free kick and Ferguson got Omeonga booked doing this.

Their play is very similar to Hertz, anti-football, but they both get away with their diving, protesting, and cynical strategic fouling.

To be fair, this was McGinn's favourite trick very often, too. It's infuriating when you're on the receiving end though, I agree.