PDA

View Full Version : Steve Clarke

we are hibs
19-05-2019, 04:22 PM
What an incredible job hes done at Killie and some post match speech on the park.

Greencore
19-05-2019, 04:23 PM
What an incredible job hes done at Killie and some post match speech on the park.

What did he say?

Since452
19-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Better achievement than a Celtic treble. Unbelievable really.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Better achievement than a Celtic treble. Unbelievable really.

If getting third in the league, and by goal difference, is better than winning a treble, then my concept of football has been wrong all my life.

Has anyone told Chelsea, yet? :wink:

neil7908
19-05-2019, 04:34 PM
If getting third in the league, and by goal difference, is better than winning a treble, then my concept of football has been wrong all my life.

Has anyone told Chelsea, yet?

With the resources available I don't think it's far off comparing his achievements to Celtic.

Oranje39
19-05-2019, 04:41 PM
I did enjoy the bye bye Rangers and bye bye Celtic comment. Some job he's done.

Tarrahib
19-05-2019, 04:41 PM

Has anyone told Chelsea, yet? :wink:
How do you work out it was goal difference that got them third?

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 04:42 PM
With the resources available I don't think it's far off comparing his achievements to Celtic.

Kille's pitch got them third.

Their defence knew how to play on it.

Both Hibs and Aberdeen scored more goals and both won more away games.

It's a great season for them, no doubt, but I think the plaudits are on the excessive side.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 04:44 PM
How do you work out it was goal difference that got them third?

Because they have the same points as Aberdeen.

It certainly wasn't alphabetical order!

Hermit Crab
19-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Finished 3rd for the first time since 1963 or something and a record points total 2 seasons in a row now and European football, they earned it, he's done brilliantly. Reminds me of when Mowbray came to Hibs, he transformed Hibs like Clarke has transformed Kilmarnock.

Jim44
19-05-2019, 04:52 PM
I did enjoy the bye bye Rangers and bye bye Celtic comment. Some job he's done.

Any link to this? Was it a tongue in cheek comment or was he serious?

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Maybe we should get a plastic pitch.

Killie have the 3rd best home record and Livingston are fourth.

Hibee Mac
19-05-2019, 04:55 PM

It's a great season for them, no doubt, but I think the plaudits are on the excessive side.

This. I'll start lauding how amazing Steve Clarke is when they're playing on a grass pitch like the rest of us.

DaveF
19-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Did they not have the plastic pitch when they ended up 11th a few seasons back?

Hermit Crab
19-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Any link to this? Was it a tongue in cheek comment or was he serious?

He was serious, it was broadcast on sportsound, said the same about Celtic as well.

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Clarkes done well, its a decent achievement,but for me its more of a reflection of just how piz poor hibs,aberdeen and hertz have been.

I truly hope he is not the next scotland manager.

Hibs90
19-05-2019, 05:01 PM
"This is more nerve wracking than sitting in that box watching that game of football, trust me.

"Listen, the thing about football and clubs like this, it's important on today, this last day of the season, with a record points total of 67, finished third in the league - the manager gets a lot of credit, but see this group of people over here (the players), I'm nothing without the players.

"Without the players a football club doesn't operate because these guys have been magnificent, they have to go to the pitch week in, week out because we wanted to do it ourselves - not wait for Aberdeen - but here on our pitch, this is Kilmarnock.

"What you have to remember is this guy over here you have the best owner I've ever come across in football... and remember I worked for Mr Roman Abramovich. I think Billy Bowie is richer!

"The most important thing at any football club in the world is the supporters, when I came here there weren't as many, there was a disconnect but together we are stronger.

"In my time at Kilmarnock sorry I didn't win you a trophy but as I stand here in front of three stands of Killie supporters and we say bye bye Rangers and make sure next season we say bye bye to Celtic too. This is Kilmarnock, this belongs to you.

"For me, I take this, this is my trophy. Thank you."

Hermit Crab
19-05-2019, 05:02 PM

29 of their points this season came away from home on grass pitches.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:02 PM

I don't know, but there's no doubt in my mind that both Killie and Livingston benefitted from having a plastic pitch this season.

I'm sure Clarke has got the best out of his players on it, but comparing that to winning a treble is hyperbolic to say the least.

we are hibs
19-05-2019, 05:05 PM
https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/1130152961060024322?s=09

we are hibs
19-05-2019, 05:08 PM
This. I'll start lauding how amazing Steve Clarke is when they're playing on a grass pitch like the rest of us.

Sorry but this is nonsense. Was their pitch the reason they were bottom when he arrived? He's done an incredible job with limited resources. He's also picked up impressive results on the road (and on grass) too so let's not make out as if them playing on a plastic pitch is the reason they're 3rd. It's an artificial turf not a red ash pitch ffs

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:09 PM

I just checked. Their pitch was laid at the start of that season. 14/15. They finished 11th.

Since then, they've steadily climbed the table and now, they're 3rd.

Smartie
19-05-2019, 05:13 PM
It's pretty poor stuff to put his achievements down to a plastic pitch.

They were nowhere when he took over. He's got ordinary players organised and playing well and improved a good few other players.

Aberdeen, Hearts and us hold a significant financial advantage over them and instead of morning about it they've just concentrated on beating us.

Well done to them is what I say.

Fwiw I hate their pitch as well.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:13 PM
29 of their points this season came away from home on grass pitches.

We won 27 and that's with a shocking middle part of the season.

Killie won 38 points at home, Livi were next with 32.

We managed 27.

https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=scotland

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:14 PM
It's pretty poor stuff to put his achievements down to a plastic pitch.

They were nowhere when he took over. He's got ordinary players organised and playing well and improved a good few other players.

Aberdeen, Hearts and us hold a significant financial advantage over them and instead of morning about it they've just concentrated on beating us.

Well done to them is what I say.

Fwiw I hate their pitch as well.

Why do you hate it if it's fair?

My_Wife_Camille
19-05-2019, 05:16 PM

They also had the plastic pitch when they sacked McCulloch for being rick bottom after failing to win any of his first 8 or 9 games.

Clarke has done an amazing job at Killie regardless of the pitch. One of the things that goes a bit unnoticed is how similar the squad of players is now to when he joined. The vast majority of players are the ones that were sitting bottom of the table when he took over.

I thought some of the praise was a tad OTT last season but this season there’s no arguing with the job he’s done imo.

Hibee Mac
19-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Sorry but this is nonsense. Was their pitch the reason they were bottom when he arrived? He's done an incredible job with limited resources. He's also picked up impressive results on the road (and on grass) too so let's not make out as if them playing on a plastic pitch is the reason they're 3rd. It's an artificial turf not a red ash pitch ffs

I think you need to read the earlier posts I am referring to before posting this.

I'm not saying Clarke hasn't done a good job, which he has. I'm agreeing with HibbyRadge that to compare his achievement of getting Kili to 3rd with that joke of a pitch to a club winning a treble is madness.

Since452
19-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Yup

CapitalGreen
19-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Should all our achievements pre-levelling of the slope be diminished because our pitch gave us an advantage?

Our team obviously would have known how to play on it better than opponents so we must have benefitted greatly from that.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Should all our achievements pre-levelling of the slope be diminished because our pitch gave us an advantage?

Our team obviously would have known how to play on it better than opponents so we must have benefitted greatly from that.

Indeed. And we've not achieved half as much since it was levelled. :wink:

I'm surprised so many people now think that it's ok for some SPFL teams to have different surfaces from all the other teams.

Fair enough, if that's the case, but whenever I read a matchday thread when we're at Killie, Hamilton or Livi, people are complaining about the pitch.

Clarke has done very well, no-one is denying that, but he's used an unfair advantage to do so, imo.

Smartie
19-05-2019, 05:49 PM

I'm surprised so many people now think that it's ok for some SPFL teams to have different surfaces from all the other teams.

Fair enough, if that's the case, but whenever I read a matchday thread when we're at Killie, Hamilton or Livi, people are complaining about the pitch.

Clarke has done very well, no-one is denying that, but he's used an unfair advantage to do so, imo.

I think there probably is an advantage in it but I think it is overplayed.

Hibs train on similar pitches regularly. Most current players will have grown up playing on pitches like that.

Every club is free to instal a pitch like that if they so wish, they choose not to.

My main problem with the pitch is that I'm sick hearing about it, particularly from opposition managers in sour grapes post-match interviews.

When we lost there last week we lost because of a disgraceful refereeing decision. The pitch was quite far down my list of excuses.

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 05:50 PM
This talk about pitches man!! Our pitch was in good nick the day!ibrox pitch last week was superb.
Folk wearing ther colours, vibrant stands.baw on the deck.
Season shud be starting this time of year no finishing.
Summer football is the way ahead,no need for plastic pitches then.

we are hibs
19-05-2019, 05:55 PM
This talk about pitches man!! Our pitch was in good nick the day!ibrox pitch last week was superb.

We live in Scotland. It could be the hottest day on record and it would probably still pish down come kick off.

BoomtownHibees
19-05-2019, 05:55 PM

Would still gave a big chunk of the season played in the winter

Lago
19-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Terrific, absolutely terrific!

ancient hibee
19-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Maybe we should get a plastic pitch.

Killie have the 3rd best home record and Livingston are fourth.

And have lost more league matches at home than away.

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 05:59 PM
We live in Scotland. It could be the hottest day on record and it would probably still pish down come kick off.

Can deal with rain,freezing pitches and non football,not so much.

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Would still gave a big chunk of the season played in the winter

Would depend how it was structured tbh.but mainly would avoid winter months.

TrinityHibs
19-05-2019, 06:00 PM
How did Celtic win the league without a plastic pitch?

BoomtownHibees
19-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Would depend how it was structured tbh.but mainly would avoid winter months.

You would more than likely be playing November, December, January and February

Lago
19-05-2019, 06:05 PM
How did Celtic win the league without a plastic pitch?
They bought it, as 1 of only 2 clubs that will win the Scottish League it is all about money.

Sir David Gray
19-05-2019, 06:05 PM

I don't think Scotland has enough of a distinction in the seasons for it to make any serious difference what time of year we play.

It was just the other week that we had daytime temperatures of about 8 degrees, this is not too dissimilar to temperatures in December and January.

Our climate is just garbage the full year, it's hardly going to be wall to wall sunshine every day over the next 2 months, while footballers have a break.

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 06:29 PM
I don't think Scotland has enough of a distinction in the seasons for it to make any serious difference what time of year we play.

It was just the other week that we had daytime temperatures of about 8 degrees, this is not too dissimilar to temperatures in December and January.

Our climate is just garbage the full year, it's hardly going to be wall to wall sunshine every day over the next 2 months, while footballers have a break.

So december is like may??lol.im no saying its gonny be footie in the costa del sol.just generally it would be a better time of year to play the game.for a number of reasons.but you have to think outside the box to see the plus side of my opinion.

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 06:36 PM
You would more than likely be playing November, December, January and February

Not necessarily mate.you could have less games more teams.midweek/weekend fixtures.it works in other countries performing better than our leagues.

BoomtownHibees
19-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Not necessarily mate.you could have less games more teams.midweek/weekend fixtures.it works in other countries performing better than our leagues.

So what’s your suggestion? When would the season start and end? How many teams and how many games?

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 06:52 PM
So what’s your suggestion? When would the season start and end? How many teams and how many games?

Ive suggested before some examples.

16 team league play home and away streamline the season by cutting games,playing midweek summer football in the best months.run the season fae say end of march to october.introduce a winter cup instead of league cup.im no expert right enuf mate just would need some planning.

Phil MaGlass
19-05-2019, 07:28 PM

This, unfair advantage on a **** pitch

greenlex
19-05-2019, 07:47 PM
I think he’s a sour faced curmudgeon.

Haymaker
19-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Ive suggested before some examples.

16 team league play home and away streamline the season by cutting games,playing midweek summer football in the best months.run the season fae say end of march to october.introduce a winter cup instead of league cup.im no expert right enuf mate just would need some planning.

Needs a certain amount of games to qualify for European competition. 30 is not enough IIRC.

Not sure starting and (particularly) ending the season when the grass won't grow to repair the pitches.

tamig
19-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Not in the slightest. He has transformed that club from where they were when he arrived. An outstanding achievement.

Billy Whizz
19-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Not in the slightest. He has transformed that club from where they were when he arrived. An outstanding achievement.

100%. Hope he can do the same with Scotland

tamig
19-05-2019, 09:12 PM
100%. Hope he can do the same with Scotland

If he does take over the national job it could be a very exciting few years ahead. I just hope he’s there long enough to get us to a tournament. Might even rekindle my enthusiasm for the national team 😀

CathroMustStay
20-05-2019, 12:10 AM
Steve Clarke has been a revelation in the past 19 months.

Very much hope the SFA do the right thing for once and appoint this man as Scotland manager in upcoming days.

Steve-O
20-05-2019, 02:36 AM

Well, lets get a plastic pitch installed at Hampden so he can continue this conspiracy in the Scotland role! :agree:

TelaStella
20-05-2019, 02:49 AM
What did he say?

Bye bye rangers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney McGrew
20-05-2019, 04:03 AM

Killie only conceded two less then us at home and also had the second best away defensive record in the league.

Their defence has certainly been the main reason they done so well, but it’s not just at home. And that’s nothing to do with a pitch.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-05-2019, 06:49 AM
I don't think that having a grass pitch as mandatory for a top flight club is too much to ask. Makes more sense than the needless 10,000 all seater rule from a few years ago. Same surface for all.

lapsedhibee
20-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Finished 3rd for the first time since 1963 or something and a record points total 2 seasons in a row now and European football, they earned it, he's done brilliantly. Reminds me of when Mowbray came to Hibs, he transformed Hibs like Clarke has transformed Kilmarnock.
I wonder if you might be thinking of 1965, when Killie also got a last-day-of-the-season win to pip their rivals for a coveted league position. :dunno:

O'Rourke3
20-05-2019, 09:57 AM
I wonder if you might be thinking of 1965, when Killie also got a last-day-of-the-season win to pip their rivals for a coveted league position. :dunno:No. Repeated on radio ad nauseum. Last time they finished third specifically.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Betty Boop
20-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Bye bye rangers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And bye bye Celtic

Jim44
20-05-2019, 10:47 AM
While we are all having a chuckle at Clarke’s ‘old firm’ windups, might it not be a wee bit shortsighted of him in terms of possibly alienating Rantic fans and players. Like them or not, they play quite a significant role in the national teams fan/supporter make-up and there’s a chance it could backfire a wee bit. :dunno: Mind you, I’m not losing sleep about it.:greengrin

BoomtownHibees
20-05-2019, 10:55 AM
While we are all having a chuckle at Clarke’s ‘old firm’ windups, might it not be a wee bit shortsighted of him in terms of possibly alienating Rantic fans and players. Like them or not, they play quite a significant role in the national teams fan/supporter make-up and there’s a chance it could backfire a wee bit. :dunno: Mind you, I’m not losing sleep about it.:greengrin

I don’t think they’ve had many players, if any at all, in the last couple of squads

Jim44
20-05-2019, 11:05 AM
I don’t think they’ve had many players, if any at all, in the last couple of squads

True, but they might in the future and he did include Celtic in his windup.

Stuart93
20-05-2019, 12:50 PM

The majority of the rangers fans already dislike the national team for some weird reason.

A lot of them cheer on England

jgl07
20-05-2019, 01:12 PM
The majority of the rangers fans already dislike the national team for some weird reason.

A lot of them cheer on England

Or Northern Ireland?

And many of the Celtic fans probably support the Republic.

lapsedhibee
20-05-2019, 01:17 PM
No. Repeated on radio ad nauseum. Last time they finished third specifically.

Strange for the radio to be making a thing about specifically finishing third, when they've done better than that more recently than 1963. Presumably they also mentioned 1965? :confused:

MartinfaePorty
20-05-2019, 01:18 PM

A lot of them cheer on EnglandPretty sure there was a survey a few years ago and the highest number of regular Scotland supporters from 1 club was Rangers. Wasn't much in it, though and was at least 10 years ago.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Diclonius
20-05-2019, 01:19 PM

Scotland's second best player plays for Celtic and is already in the habit of routinely missing national squads, I don't think it'll change much if Clarke winds them up a bit.

Having a manager who doens't suck up to one of them also means they might not get gratituous over-representation any more as well.

Shrekko
20-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Scotland's second best player plays for Celtic and is already in the habit of routinely missing national squads, I don't think it'll change much if Clarke winds them up a bit.

Having a manager who doens't suck up to one of them also means they might not get gratituous over-representation any more as well.

Think you’re being a bit unfair on Tierney. There are other much better examples.

Diclonius
20-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Think you’re being a bit unfair on Tierney. There are other much better examples.

Aye, probably fair enough.

I do still think the OF see the national team as a distraction sometimes, which hinders its progress due to the sway they have over a lot of Scottish football.

The 90+2
20-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Or Northern Ireland?

And many of the Celtic fans probably support the Republic.

Yep. Weirdos.

The 90+2
20-05-2019, 01:32 PM

McGinn and Paterson are better than Tierney.

The Modfather
20-05-2019, 01:34 PM
I see Ally McCoist is touting for any potential Killie job. We’d no longer have to worry about Killie competing at the top end of the league.

Since452
20-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Tierney is the most overrated player in Scotland

Billy Whizz
20-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Clarke just been appointed new Scotland manager

Diclonius
20-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Great news.

Billy Whizz
20-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Great news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48303984

Since452
20-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Fantastic appointment. No excuses now. He's the man we all wanted. RIP Killie.

Hibernia&Alba
20-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Probably the best man for the job, but it's a huge job he has on his hands! We are terrible.

The Spaceman
20-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Amazing news. We have some good players, if there is anyone who can squeeze every last drop out of them, it is him!

04Sauzee
20-05-2019, 02:18 PM

That should put a smile on his face 🙄

Stevie Reid
20-05-2019, 02:23 PM
The most exciting thing about this IMO is that he barely signed a player at Killie, and mainly massively improved who was already there.

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2019, 02:24 PM
At last we have a manager who actually wants the job. :top marks

Diclonius
20-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Really glad I bought the tickets to the Cyprus game now, should persuade a few more to come along and ensure a great atmosphere.

B.H.F.C
20-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Common sense appointment IMO.

Turned average players at Killie in to good players. Hopefully he can do the same for Scotland. And despite what a lot of people think, we actually have a few good players as well.

G B Young
20-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Very surprised he was interested in that job. I'd have thought his ambitions lay higher than that. Can only assume it's because he wants to be able to base himself back at home down south like Strachan. However, at the rate managers come and go I'd be surprised if a decent English job didn't come his way if he'd bided his time at Killie a bit longer.

HoboHarry
20-05-2019, 02:40 PM
I wonder who at the SFA drove this appointment? The McLeish appointment was a catastrophically bad one and was called out by many at the time as just that. RP and the buffoon McRae taking a back seat this time?

Leitherhibs
20-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Excellent appointment, can't believe the SFA have actually done something that appears to be popular and sensible.

givescotlandfreedom
20-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Great appointment. Looking forward to him getting to work.

Billy Whizz
20-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Wonder who’ll bring in as his assistants

Smartie
20-05-2019, 05:58 PM
He has exactly the attributes we're looking for.

Brilliant appointment.

Sir David Gray
20-05-2019, 07:06 PM

Rangers fans already hate him because he's a Catholic so his wee wind up yesterday will have made no odds to them. Celtic fans are too busy following the Republic of Ireland.

heretoday
20-05-2019, 07:24 PM
Hopefully he'll be inspiring.

Iggy Pope
20-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Rangers fans already hate him because he's a Catholic so his wee wind up yesterday will have made no odds to them. Celtic fans are too busy following the Republic of Ireland.

Plenty of OF fans amongst the National side fanbase and a few OF players in the squad.

Personally, I find Clarke to be well up himself.

Pretty Boy
20-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Rangers fans seem very upset which suggests this is a good decision.

It was a no brainer really if he was interested. We have the core of a decent side available and he has time to get them organised for the Finland games. Players seem to both like and respect him and that's half the battle when you only have them for a few days at a time.

I'm going to try and get to a couple of games and get behind him. The best appointment we have made in a long time imo.

Baldy Foghorn
20-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Just got a ban last week, does this mean that he misses first two Scotland games?:greengrin

Only in Scotland could a manager get a ban, then become National boss in a week

Jonnyboy
20-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Just got a ban last week, does this mean that he misses first two Scotland games?:greengrin

Only in Scotland could a manager get a ban, then become National boss in a week

Aye, wha's like us? :faf:

Topographic Hibby
20-05-2019, 09:19 PM
...and in his wake, Kilmarnock have a new concern. Neil McCann wants his job.

You remember him...sacked from Dundee for being rubbish and contributing to their relegation. Just the sort of man you want nowhere near any football club above Lowland League, and probably quite a few below this level.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48344432

Steve-O
21-05-2019, 02:08 AM
Very surprised he was interested in that job. I'd have thought his ambitions lay higher than that. Can only assume it's because he wants to be able to base himself back at home down south like Strachan. However, at the rate managers come and go I'd be surprised if a decent English job didn't come his way if he'd bided his time at Killie a bit longer.

In theory, it should be the most prestigious job in the country, and that might be more the case if many Scottish people actually got behind the national team a bit more.

California-Hibs
21-05-2019, 03:13 AM
Absolutely fantastic appointment and I can't remember a newly appointed Scotland manager being so widely accepted and the majority of the country being happy. SFA have made a decent decision for a change

stuart-farquhar
21-05-2019, 03:53 AM
I wonder if you might be thinking of 1965, when Killie also got a last-day-of-the-season win to pip their rivals for a coveted league position. :dunno:

I was at that game.

Phil MaGlass
21-05-2019, 05:17 AM
Absolutely fantastic appointment and I can't remember a newly appointed Scotland manager being so widely accepted and the majority of the country being happy. SFA have made a decent decision for a change

Sort of remember the same thing happening at Hibs when terry Butcher signed:greengrin, good luck to the guy though. I think its also the best signing.

Sylar
21-05-2019, 10:17 AM
...and in his wake, Kilmarnock have a new concern. Neil McCann wants his job.

You remember him...sacked from Dundee for being rubbish and contributing to their relegation. Just the sort of man you want nowhere near any football club above Lowland League, and probably quite a few below this level.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48344432

I can't see McCann getting the Killie job.

It wouldn't surprise me if they make a move for Gary Holt, who's had a great season with Livingston (hindered in the second half by injuries and the like). Then who for Livingston...McCoist, McCann, McIntyre?

Any of the three of them would take Livi down.

we are hibs
21-05-2019, 10:32 AM
About to do his first press conference live on sky sports news

Northernhibee
21-05-2019, 12:36 PM

He won't chase any retired players to come back, they have to take the first step.

Good move.

Spike Mandela
21-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Has all the credentials to do well in the job and I hope he does.

I have never taken to his personality though. Comes across as a right miserable, dour and whining old git. In fact, thinking on it maybe he has THE perfect credentials for the Scotland job.:wink:

Ryan91
21-05-2019, 12:47 PM
He won't chase any retired players to come back, they have to take the first step.

Good move.

Gonna be chatting to players that have pulled out of recent squads to see if they're commited to play for their country.

Gotta say, he's making all the right noises for me, talking about a "burning desire" to take us to a major tournament.

Though the proof will be once we start playing

Northernhibee
21-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Gonna be chatting to players that have pulled out of recent squads to see if they're commited to play for their country.

Gotta say, he's making all the right noises for me, talking about a "burning desire" to take us to a major tournament.

Though the proof will be once we start playing

If McGregor, Brown etc. don't want to play then brilliant, there is plenty of young talent coming through to see us good for the future. Even if we get a lot of the old guard pull out we could have Bain, Paterson, Hendry, Porteous (he's plenty good enough once hes fit again), Robertson, Fraser, McGinn, McTominay, Shinnie, Christie, Burke with plenty of good players on the bench. All young players, all plenty good enough to qualify if managed in a proper, modern style and plenty of strength on the bench. No McGregor, Brown, Forrest, Anya, Fletcher, Gordon, Phillips etc. etc. who have let us down time and time before.

I'm probably missing plenty of players out there too, just top of the head stuff.

Hibbyradge
21-05-2019, 01:04 PM
If McGregor, Brown etc. don't want to play then brilliant, there is plenty of young talent coming through to see us good for the future. Even if we get a lot of the old guard pull out we could have Bain, Paterson, Hendry, Porteous (he's plenty good enough once hes fit again), Robertson, Fraser, McGinn, McTominay, Shinnie, Christie, Burke with plenty of good players on the bench. All young players, all plenty good enough to qualify if managed in a proper, modern style and plenty of strength on the bench. No McGregor, Brown, Forrest, Anya, Fletcher, Gordon, Phillips etc. etc. who have let us down time and time before.

I'm probably missing plenty of players out there too, just top of the head stuff.

I think you're a bit ahead of yourself if you're suggesting that Ryan Porteous at 20 years old with only 18 first team starts for Hibs is good enough for international football.

I'm hopeful he will become as good as that, and I admire your optimism, but he doesn't have anything like the experience necessary yet.

bigwheel
21-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Agree completely...loads of potential...still lots of learning to do ..

Spudster
21-05-2019, 01:08 PM

:confused: A HUGE reason we are in the playoffs

Smartie
21-05-2019, 03:34 PM
I think you're a bit ahead of yourself if you're suggesting that Ryan Porteous at 20 years old with only 18 first team starts for Hibs is good enough for international football.

I'm hopeful he will become as good as that, and I admire your optimism, but he doesn't have anything like the experience necessary yet.

Porteous' injury came at a bad time for him, because I've not seen much from the players currently playing in his position for the national side to suggest that they are that much better than him.

I know Clarke has mentioned not chasing the retired players, but I still think that if McGregor and Brown were to play then they'd be amongst our most important and best players.

Billy Whizz
21-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Porteous' injury came at a bad time for him, because I've not seen much from the players currently playing in his position for the national side to suggest that they are that much better than him.

I know Clarke has mentioned not chasing the retired players, but I still think that if McGregor and Brown were to play then they'd be amongst our most important and best players.

You wonder if Brown could be tempted

Iggy Pope
21-05-2019, 03:53 PM
You wonder if Brown could be tempted

McGregor could be tempted into anything. Needs sectioned.

Billy Whizz
21-05-2019, 03:56 PM
McGregor could be tempted into anything. Needs sectioned.

Ha ha, think he’s much better than Bain though

Renfrew_Hibby
21-05-2019, 04:01 PM
I can't see McCann getting the Killie job.

It wouldn't surprise me if they make a move for Gary Holt, who's had a great season with Livingston (hindered in the second half by injuries and the like). Then who for Livingston...McCoist, McCann, McIntyre?

Any of the three of them would take Livi down.

Gary Holt should be in the frame.
Killie boy, lifelong fan (has the tats to prove it) and a club legend of their '97 Cup winning side.
Decent manager/coach as well.

JimBHibees
21-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Couldnt lace Tierney's boots.

we are hibs
21-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Never got the fuss over paterson as a right back. Infact I would say I've seen him have better games upfront more than I have in his natural position. Leave him one on one defensively and he's found badly lacking.

Billy Whizz
21-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Never got the fuss over paterson as a right back. Infact I would say I've seen him have better games upfront more than I have in his natural position. Leave him one on one defensively and he's found badly lacking.

Even his club Manager Warnock, agrees he’s not a right back/can’t defend

21-05-2019, 04:54 PM

Here it is.

https://youtu.be/q5OPa755wlI

Smartie
21-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Ha ha, think he’s much better than Bain though

McGregor is our best keeper, McLaughlin at Sunderland is the best of those who want to play.

I've not seen much of Bain tbh, he's one of those you hear about but never really see play.

where'stheslope
21-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Feel slightly sorry for Clarke, he has a big job not only to find players, but also to try and lift a country that has plummeted down the FIFA rankings for years!!!

If he can emulate his success at Kilmarnock he will do well, International football is getting harder with smaller nations having players playing in the biggest leagues.

Scotland do not seem to have the players making the same impact abroad that they used to?

Still I'm hopeful that for once the SFA have made what looks a good managerial move, time will tell if right or wrong!!!!!

HibbySpurs
21-05-2019, 09:53 PM
Happy with this appointment and what I like is the fact that Clarke has been managing an SPFL club immediately before his appointment which means he should be in touch with the potential squad members from across the league having seen them all play in domestic games against Kilmarnock these last couple of seasons, for me it’s a massive starter for 10.

Obviously some of the best players are playing in England but the coverage of those leagues is more than enough to keep him abreast of what they’re up to.

The 90+2
21-05-2019, 09:56 PM
Happy with this appointment and what I like is the fact that Clarke has been managing an SPFL club immediately before his appointment which means he should be in touch with the potential squad members from across the league having seen them all play in domestic games against Kilmarnock these last couple of seasons, for me it’s a massive starter for 10.

Obviously some of the best players are playing in England but the coverage of those leagues is more than enough to keep him abreast of what they’re up to.

My slight reservation would be does he fall into the trap of scouting and selecting English based players down to him being based back down there with his family and over rating the English Championship? Not that there’s evidence to suggest that and I’m full of confidence he’s the man to lead us to a finals or two.

Hibbyradge
21-05-2019, 10:24 PM
My slight reservation would be does he fall into the trap of scouting and selecting English based players down to him being based back down there with his family and over rating the English Championship? Not that there’s evidence to suggest that and I’m full of confidence he’s the man to lead us to a finals or two.

What trap is that?

Most, if not all Scottish players playing in the Championship are better than the Scottish players in the SPFL.

Sure, there are exceptions, but the best Scottish players in the SPFL generally get into the squad.

It's the balance of the team he's got to get right along with the style of play, the strategy(s) and the tactics.

I'm encouraged by this appointment because he's not just another SFA stooge, but it'll be a while before I declare him the saviour of our international football.

MichaelBrown
22-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Hudson-Odoi played for England before he played for Chelsea. Hes easily good enough. If anything, his England performance meant that he was given chances at Chelsea as clubs like Bayern took a serious interest.

''International football'' is such a cliche. I'm sure playing Celtic is a harder game than playing San Marino, just like a international game against England is harder than one against Malta. It depends on the opposition and how Porteous would contribute to that game.

jacomo
22-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Hudson-Odoi played for England before he played for Chelsea. Hes easily good enough. If anything, his England performance meant that he was given chances at Chelsea as clubs like Bayern took a serious interest.

''International football'' is such a cliche. I'm sure playing Celtic is a harder game than playing San Marino, just like a international game against England is harder than one against Malta. It depends on the opposition and how Porteous would contribute to that game.

I think Porteous’ problem is that there are two similar centre backs ahead of him - Souttar and McKenna. I think he can be the best of them, but McKenna is a good player.

My_Wife_Camille
22-05-2019, 11:43 AM

To be fair, Ryan has the exact same number of starts for Hibs as Scott McKenna had for Aberdeen when he made his international debut at 21 so I don't see it being all that unlikely

JimBHibees
22-05-2019, 03:23 PM
I think Porteous’ problem is that there are two similar centre backs ahead of him - Souttar and McKenna. I think he can be the best of them, but McKenna is a good player.

Would be surprised if he didnt move on this window.