PDA

View Full Version : We need much better

Keith_M
19-05-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm grateful to the players leaving, and for others that have given loyal servuce over the years, but we really need better than this if we're ever going to achieve anything other than a mid-table finish.

Pretty Boy
19-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Goes without saying. The points difference and results against the teams above us tell the story.

We are a mid table team with a mid table squad that needs a lot of work.

CraigHibee
19-05-2019, 04:02 PM
I'm sure hecky knows that as well, will be interesting to see how this transfer window goes

And imo, i think we have finished better than we would have if lennon was still there

Swedish hibee
19-05-2019, 04:03 PM
I wondered how long a thread like this would appear.. When the game was still be played it seems.

Pretty Boy
19-05-2019, 04:04 PM
I wondered how long a thread like this would appear.. When the game was still be played it seems.

Is it an unfair point that's been made by the OP? Would it have been more relevant had it been posted at 9pm or tomorrow morning?

we are hibs
19-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Not the worst base to build on. Plenty have arrived and inherited worse squads. But still a massive job in hand. Really need to get this summer right.

Greencore
19-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Where would people say our weakest spot is?

Hibs90

Up front

Hibees1973
Likely that Celtic will be weaker next season and Rangers stronger. Will be well nigh impossible breaking into the top 2.

3rd must be the target for us next season with Aberdeen and the Yams looking for the same. I feel our squad at present is better than Hearts but below Aberdeen. Most sensible people will think Killie will slide due to Clarke leaving.

Bartley & Milligan moving on. Will think that Whittaker, Aygepong, Slivka, Nelom, Bogdan and one or two others will move on. Kamberi not looking the same player he was....would be good to get a £500,000 offer for him to go. Best scenario is that McNulty and Omeonga remain. So, we may need up to 10 players. Boyle & Porteous fully fit will be helpful

What a chance for Hibs to really build a good squad and to be consistently in the top 4 for the next 5 years.

I detect Heckingbottom being frustrated already with transfers. Hope he does not encounter the same issues as Lennon.

Keith_M
19-05-2019, 04:07 PM

Sorry if U disagree.

Allant1981
19-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Need a good back up GK, a RB, RM a couple of CM's, LM and at least 3 strikers. Doubt we will get that many but really need them

MSK
19-05-2019, 04:08 PM
I wondered how long a thread like this would appear.. When the game was still be played it seems.Wasnt just one game though was it, we have been weak for most of the season, Aberdeen just showed our frailties today, we are weak all over from back to front. Sentiment aside, I hope Heckingbottom is looking at every position, keeper aside

hhibs
19-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Need a good back up GK, a RB, RM a couple of CM's, LM and at least 3 strikers. Doubt we will get that many but really need them

Yep,honestly do need a big turnround in players,hopefully Hecky has some ideas,I still do not have confidence in our recruitment team.IMO.

A Hi-Bee
19-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Yep,honestly do need a big turnround in players,hopefully Hecky has some ideas,I still do not have confidence in our recruitment team.IMO.

Keep saying we need quality players in but where will the money come from to do this re-build that we all know we need?

Greencore
19-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Keep saying we need quality players in but where will the money come from to do this re-build that we all know we need?

Exactly my thoughts.

Allant1981
19-05-2019, 04:25 PM

Probably quite a few loan players and free agents

Borderhibbie76
19-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Up front needs major surgery we missed so many chances today when we were well on top. Which sums it up for me...not scoring enough goals against the other Top 6 teams. Allan will help with the creativity as will a fit again Boyle but even if we sign McNulty I still reckon we need another 2 strikers to battle it out with him and Flo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
19-05-2019, 04:33 PM

It's probably a 3-4 window job.

As long as we see progress in the summer I'd accept a similar start to last season with another kick on again post January.

I don't think we'll get everything we need in one window.

HappyAsHellas
19-05-2019, 04:39 PM
I detect Heckingbottom being frustrated already with transfers. Hope he does not encounter the same issues as Lennon.

You mean if Hecky only gets about 30 players we're short changing him?

Diclonius
19-05-2019, 04:47 PM
It's frustrating being told we don't have the funds to make sustained challenges for Europe when Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone have all managed it in the last decade. We have one sort of good season and are then pish for at least the next 5.

One Day Soon
19-05-2019, 05:06 PM

All over the park except in goal.

Defence is prone to terrible gaffes and spilling critical goals.

Midfield is weak defensively, lacks pace and bite going forward and doesn't have enough invention.

Forward line is patchy and more often than not fails to land the killer punch.

The team collectively gives away a huge amount of possession game after game. The team collectively doesn't look as fit or as fast as it should.

Being stuck in mid table no-man's land is useless to us and so far for me Heckingbottom isn't much of an improvement on Lennon -but he deserves at least two transfer windows to show where he wants to take us and how. I haven't seen a huge improvement in the players since he arrived - Kamberi in particular is as bad as he was - and I'm disappointed that so few of them have looked really hungry to impress the new manager.

We have a lot of players who are adequate rather than good and very few players who are consistently very good and often excellent.

I really hate how we fail to get in the faces of the opposition and referees on days like today.

Bobby's Cinema
19-05-2019, 05:14 PM

Midfield is weak defensively, lacks pace and bite going forward and doesn't have enough invention.

The team collectively gives away a huge amount of possession game after game. The team collectively doesn't look as fit or as fast as it should.

Being stuck in mid table no-man's land is useless to us and so far for me Heckingbottom isn't much of an improvement on Lennon -but he deserves at least two transfer windows to show where he wants to take us and how. I haven't seen a huge improvement in the players since he arrived - Kamberi in particular is as bad as he was - and I'm disappointed that so few of them have looked really hungry to impress the new manager.

We have a lot of players who are adequate rather than good and very few players who are consistently very good and often excellent.

I really hate how we fail to get in the faces of the opposition and referees on days like today.
Is this a serious post or fishing?

Borderhibbie76
19-05-2019, 05:15 PM
It's frustrating being told we don't have the funds to make sustained challenges for Europe when Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone have all managed it in the last decade. We have one sort of good season and are then pish for at least the next 5.Other than on here I dont see anyone from the club saying that tho?? Hecky repeated said at his presser on Thurs he wants us challenging top 4 next season. And weve just finished 5th...yeah it not been as good a season as last but hardly p##h

Ellahappyhibee
19-05-2019, 05:16 PM
We need more pace across the back four - they are too slow and it shows in last 20 minutes of games. Clinical finishing up front would also help

Borderhibbie76
19-05-2019, 05:17 PM

I really hate how we fail to get in the faces of the opposition and referees on days like today.Some.shocking posts on here today but that really is a hum dinger...oh dear [emoji85][emoji85]

Ozyhibby
19-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Likely that Celtic will be weaker next season and Rangers stronger.

I would have thought the opposite given how much money Celtic have to spend compared to the new Rangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
19-05-2019, 05:21 PM

From the money we are paying through the gate. We are the 4th best supported team in the league so we should have enough to build a squad competing for European places.

hhibs
19-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Some.shocking posts on here today but that really is a hum dinger...oh dear [emoji85][emoji85]

Clearly a border settler.

HFC93
19-05-2019, 05:31 PM
It's frustrating being told we don't have the funds to make sustained challenges for Europe when Aberdeen, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone have all managed it in the last decade. We have one sort of good season and are then pish for at least the next 5.

Who has said this?

One Day Soon
19-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Is this a serious post or fishing?

Completely serious. In fact I think all I posted is screamingly obvious to see.

staunchhibby
19-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Boyle is raring to go.Back to full fitness

One Day Soon
19-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Some.shocking posts on here today but that really is a hum dinger...oh dear [emoji85][emoji85]

Nah you're right, we're great. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Borderhibbie76
19-05-2019, 05:41 PM
Nah you're right, we're great. Nothing to see here. Move along.Has your bed dried yet??

Greencore
19-05-2019, 05:55 PM
We need cash, any billionaies around 🧐🧐🧐😂

BoomtownHibees
19-05-2019, 06:01 PM

Bloody hell. Regretting renewing my season ticket now

Keith_M
19-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Braw, get your cash into HSL and that'll help.

I own a few shares in the club and buy multiple season tickets every season.

That's as much as I can personally manage for now.

Hopefull I'll win the lottery soon, though 😌

SquashedFrogg
19-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Completely serious. In fact I think all I posted is screamingly obvious to see.

Lol

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 06:13 PM

We do need big changes.we ended the season with three defeats.starting next season with that return would be unthinkable.
I still hold hope that boyle,allan kamberi,with fresh input aswell will bring goals.wholeheartedly agree team needs a ruthless streak in front of goal.
A couple times today we shud have burst the net but didnt even shoot as an option.

The 90+2
19-05-2019, 06:17 PM
I'm grateful to the players leaving, and for others that have given loyal servuce over the years, but we really need better than this if we're ever going to achieve anything other than a mid-table finish.

Scott Allan on his days the best midfielder in the league. It’s a fantastic start.

RIP
19-05-2019, 06:17 PM
For the last fifteen years of reading the message boards the most deluded post is the one that automatically assumes that we will sign far better players in the close season than the guys who have been doing a job for us in the current season.

Yet every year without fail we end up scraping the dregs at the end of a window. One day Hibs may raise their game in the signing of new players but I’m not holding my breath.

tonyrougier123
19-05-2019, 06:22 PM
For the last fifteen years of reading the message boards the most deluded post is the one that automatically assumes that we will sign far better players in the close season than the guys who have been doing a job for us in the current season.

Yet every year without fail we end up scraping the dregs at the end of a window. One day Hibs may raise their game in the signing of new players but I’m not holding my breath.
👍 my experience also tbh.

Keith_M
19-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Scott Allan on his days the best midfielder in the league. It’s a fantastic start.

Very true

👍

Hermit Crab
19-05-2019, 06:36 PM
A left back, right back, centre half, a pacey midfielder and a good quality striker all required.

JimBHibees
19-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Thought we were really good first half moved the ball well and should have been ahead. We do lose poor goals and we can't play fotr a whole game. More legs and athleticism required.

mjhibby
19-05-2019, 06:46 PM
We are in the best position financially in recent times so I do expect decent players coming in but as Hecky said if we want to get very good quality it's likely to be loans we otherwise couldn't afford. From the way he's been speaking it sounds like he's already identified some players and it's now down to negotiation. Every manager success or otherwise depends on getting the vast majority of transfers right. I've every faith in the management team to get it right.

we are hibs
19-05-2019, 06:48 PM

We signed better players in 2014/15 than 13/14. We signed better players in 15/16 than 14/15. Then Stubbs left and our signing policy seemed to shift all over the place. No longer signing as many younger players with a lot to prove and potential to improve and signing a lot more past it's and one last pay day players.

Is It On....
19-05-2019, 06:48 PM

That's what I was going to say. Boyle will also be like a new signing as well. Not the best season, but something to build on unlike when Stubbs had to start from scratch.

IberianHibernian
19-05-2019, 10:01 PM
IF Boyle returns to form of 17 / 18 ( not pre injury 18 /19 when he only got his game cause Lennon had no alternative ) and Porteous regains full fitness ( not read anything about his fitness situation for a long time ) and continues to progress and Scott Allan regains form of 17 / 18 after a year with only a few reserve games then we have reasons to be quietly confident about improving on this season if we also get some good new signings in . Being realistic , if 2 out of 3 happen I`ll be delighted especially if one is Porteous since the rest of our defenders aren`t getting any younger .

greenlex
19-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Who has said this?
No one. He’s making it up.

greenlex
19-05-2019, 11:02 PM
How do you detect this?

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 11:16 PM

If he's frustrated with over 3 weeks before the transfer window opens then he really is in the wrong job.

HibeeHibernian4
19-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Winning cups is more important than finishing higher up the table.

Hibbyradge
19-05-2019, 11:22 PM

I can't see much wrong with that post, although maybe Heckingbottom deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt a bit more.

If you look at other threads, people are saying similar things, albeit not in a single post.

Which bits do you disagree with?

Johnny Clash
19-05-2019, 11:55 PM
I would have thought the opposite given how much money Celtic have to spend compared to the new Rangers.

Yes and the rangers outplaying and beating Celtic last week will pile the pressure on the Celtic board to spend big time! There is no way they will risk not reaching 10 in a row.

chrisski33
20-05-2019, 12:01 AM

I detect bull****

oldbutdim
20-05-2019, 12:21 AM

Why is that?
Don't you think we have signed better players than our rivals in the last few seasons?

Likely that Celtic will be weaker next season and Rangers stronger. Will be well nigh impossible breaking into the top 2.

3rd must be the target for us next season with Aberdeen and the Yams looking for the same. I feel our squad at present is better than Hearts but below Aberdeen. Most sensible people will think Killie will slide due to Clarke leaving.

Bartley & Milligan moving on. Will think that Whittaker, Aygepong, Slivka, Nelom, Bogdan and one or two others will move on. Kamberi not looking the same player he was....would be good to get a £500,000 offer for him to go. Best scenario is that McNulty and Omeonga remain. So, we may need up to 10 players. Boyle & Porteous fully fit will be helpful

What a chance for Hibs to really build a good squad and to be consistently in the top 4 for the next 5 years.

I thought the first bits of your post were reasonable, but how can Hecky be frustrated with transfers when it's not actually a window yet?
Quite remarkable that you have 'detected' this.

You're easily frustrated, because I've never seen us 'being told' this.

Ah well.

Season over so detectors, those lacking confidence, and frustrated chaps have time to heal.

Good luck chaps.
:aok:

Hibernia&Alba
20-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Of course we need better and we'd all love to see better, but do we have the money to make it happen? We are reliant upon finding good players on the cheap then selling them on e.g. McGinn. We need to be realistic about how much a club our size can improve in the modern game. We have two clubs which are huge, with the rest of us a long way behind, and the days of an Aberdeen dominating Scottish football are long gone, as money talks.

Realistically we can only improve to being third (unless something miraculous happens) and with cup win here and there. As soon as we find talent, bigger clubs will be along to snap them up and we have to start again. That's the reality and it isn't something to be downhearted about, as it's better than the vast majority of clubs can hope for. Our aim, along with Hearts and Aberdeen should be to become Scotland's clear third force.

DetroitHibs
20-05-2019, 06:15 AM
Pretty optimistic about next season. We definitely need players in and I think PH will get the right players for the job. Looking at the midfield, we have goals in it. Boyle, Mallan, Allan and Horgan is a pretty solid start. Personally I’d ditch the idea of signing a defensive midfielder that adds nothing else. Both Bartley and Milligan have done this role well, but it really slows us down as neither added anything else. A box to box high energy midfielder is what we need. Someone like a SJM, Pat McGinlay type player. Mallan doesn’t have the dig for that role yet.

Also having Porteous back will give us some youth and pace at the back. He’s the future if you ask me. Then up top a priority for me is a target man. We haven’t had a proper target man for as long as I can remember. Louis Moult would transform us up top for sure. Much rather we pushed the boat out for him than McNuly.

Steve20
20-05-2019, 06:54 AM
It's probably a 3-4 window job.

As long as we see progress in the summer I'd accept a similar start to last season with another kick on again post January.

I don't think we'll get everything we need in one window.

No reason why we can't put together a team over the summer to challenge for top 3. 3-4 windows is far too long. Clarke went in at Kilmarnock and they were great the second half of last season and finished 3rd this season. A decent manager can do this and we really should be having a better squad than Kilmarnock by August.

The Spaceman
20-05-2019, 07:01 AM
At the moment we have a solid starting 11 for next season. But we really need to add depth across the pitch in case we encounter the same issues we had this season. Two pacey wingers, a mobile CDM, two new strikers, and competition for RB/LB are on my wish list. A lot of signings!

Paloschi
20-05-2019, 07:10 AM
On a positive note we are just one place off last season without Allan, McGeouch and McGinn. We have also gone more than half a season without Porto and Efe who are our first choice CH's. Also Boyle has been a huge miss.

Given Lennon having a disaster and making some poor decisions in the transfer market and the fact we kicked off in July - I can't really complain.

Finally, we beat Hearts at Tynecastle and finished above them in the league.

Kamberi just needs to recapture form and with the right balance we could be a force next season.

staunchhibby
20-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Martin Boyle is fit and raring to go next season.We have missed his pace.

JimBHibees
20-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Martin Boyle is fit and raring to go next season.We have missed his pace.

Any update on Porteous injury? Hopefully fully fit for start of the season but get the impression may be longer.

Pretty Boy
20-05-2019, 07:52 AM
No reason why we can't put together a team over the summer to challenge for top 3. 3-4 windows is far too long. Clarke went in at Kilmarnock and they were great the second half of last season and finished 3rd this season. A decent manager can do this and we really should be having a better squad than Kilmarnock by August.

I didn't say we couldn't. Given we were utter rubbish for a large chunk of this season with a manager who abdicated all responsibility yet we still had half a chance of top 3 or 4 post split proves it's not a huge ask to e competitive in one window. My wider point was about building a bit depth, building a foundation and rebuilding a squad that got old together. Your last sentence sums it up for me, Kilmarnock had a great season to finish 3rd this year but I'd argue it would be a brave man putting money on them repeating the feat next season. I've had my fill of Hibs teams having one great season then floundering the next; as long as we show clear progress from this season then I can handle a few baby steps forward next season as part of a wider goal.

For me it's been blindingly obvious what our issue has been this season and that has been results against the other top 6 teams:

Celtic - LWLD
Rangers - DDDL
Kilmarnock - WLDL
Aberdeen - DLLL
Hearts - DLWD

3 wins and 20 points from a possible 60, 2 draws and 3 defeats from our post split fixtures and losses to Aberdeen and Celtic in the cup competitions tells a large part of the story. If we can improve on thos results next year we'll already be taking a huge step forward and will be back in the mix for European places. It's not the whole picture though.

Sioux
20-05-2019, 08:00 AM
At the moment we have a solid starting 11 for next season. But we really need to add depth across the pitch in case we encounter the same issues we had this season. Two pacey wingers, a mobile CDM, two new strikers, and competition for RB/LB are on my wish list. A lot of signings!

At the moment our solid starting position is not good enough. We didn't win a game recently against the top six. We scored 2 and lost 5.

Signing players who are simply going to compete for a first team spot won't improve the team. Will any player in the current squad be capable of stepping up to the so called next level? On that note, McNulty is lucky he's got a contract at Reading.

Players like Hanlon and Stevenson have been here too long. They've been a 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. They don't get better than that.

Hopefully Hecky can make a good start on getting some better players into the starting 11.

eastcoasthibby
20-05-2019, 08:40 AM
For all we love Stevenson we need better and David Gray is costing us goals almost week in and week out, 3 times in the second half he took too long with throw ins and we lost possession twice putting us directly in trouble. For me both full back positions we need more from them !! Our midfield aren't mobile enough Mallan disappears too often and has no pace at all, Horgan also comes and goes too much in games and gives no physical challenge ! For me we need two strong midfielders that can compete and get about the pitch, that will allow a mix of Scott Allan and another to impact on the game in the opposition's half. Up front we need at least 2 in one who can play with the ball and the other a goalscorer . A youngish decent 2nd keeper as well as not sure our development keeper is where we need him to be !! On that note I can't wait to see the transfer window open ...

hibs#1
20-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Scott Allan, Martin Boyle and Ryan Porteous are 3 to come in right away who should improve the squad. Plus Fraser Murray can hopefully kick on.

Obviously still need a few more I honestly don't think Jason Cummings would be the worst signing ever has scored plenty of goals for us before.

Diclonius
20-05-2019, 11:26 AM
We signed better players in 2014/15 than 13/14. We signed better players in 15/16 than 14/15. Then Stubbs left and our signing policy seemed to shift all over the place. No longer signing as many younger players with a lot to prove and potential to improve and signing a lot more past it's and one last pay day players.

14/15, 15/16 and 17/18 were generally very good for us re transfers, but otherwise (and particularly pre-relegation) we usually had diminishing returns due to a slow start in making signings and an over-reliance on waiting until the end of the window for players to become available. Even in 14/15 we had a very slow summer window (McGeouch came in after we'd already lost three league games) and made our best signings in January when the title race was over. 17/18 was our best summer window in many a year - the signings were good on paper but just didn't work out for us, and we rectified this with another excellent January window. I'd like to see us return to that.

I understand the club's philosophy of generally waiting until the end of the window to make signings, but more often than not this results in players that need a lot of time to develop match fitness and blend with the squad, by which point we've already lost key matches. Having 3-4 signings in before pre-season would make a massive difference, even if we have to spend a little more to do so. Those first few matches at the start of the season can be the difference between 3rd and 6th in the confidence boost we would get from a good start, so we'd be spending now to avoid losing money later.

I've been very impressed with how the club have transformed since relegation, particularly regarding communication with fans, manager and player recruitment (on the whole), but this slow start in transfer windows is something that still irks me.

heretoday
20-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Improvements required in all areas, I'd say. Every manager in Scotland would say that. Not easy to achieve.

HoboHarry
20-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Improvements required in all areas, I'd say. Every manager in Scotland would say that. Not easy to achieve.
Every manager in the world would say that......