SouthMoroccoStu
15-05-2019, 06:38 PM
SFA not going for a Yes man?

Brightside
15-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Scott Gemmil will get it by default.

G B Young
15-05-2019, 06:50 PM
In all honesty, does this really need to be a full-time job? I know Levein was a disaster as Scotland boss (statistically the worst ever IIRC) but I read an interview with him recently where he said he put on two stone due to inactivity and only being able to work with the players for a few days every few months.

Given that club games are put on hold during international breaks, how about a rota system among club bosses for the Scotland games?

Happy to acknowledge my interest in international football is next to non existent but I've long wondered whether a job like this really justifies a full-time salary.

Joe6-2
15-05-2019, 06:51 PM
SFA not going for a Yes man?

Probably know he won’t take it

stoneyburn hibs
15-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Agree, he'll be their yes man.

GreenCastle
15-05-2019, 07:21 PM
It won’t matter.

Players / culture / SFA and some awful coaches = will continue to not qualify till they disband the SFA and start afresh.

Smartie
15-05-2019, 07:25 PM
In all honesty, does this really need to be a full-time job? I know Levein was a disaster as Scotland boss (statistically the worst ever IIRC) but I read an interview with him recently where he said he put on two stone due to inactivity and only being able to work with the players for a few days every few months.

Given that club games are put on hold during international breaks, how about a rota system among club bosses for the Scotland games?

Happy to acknowledge my interest in international football is next to non existent but I've long wondered whether a job like this really justifies a full-time salary.

I think the problem there isn't so much that this is a full-time job but the people who would be expected to carry it out as described in your suggestion have demanding, full-time jobs elsewhere.

It used to irk me, for example, when Alex Miller used to go away to carry out commitments with the national side.

Neil Lennon's media commitments didn't concern me, as I knew he had adequate cover in place at Hibs to allow him to do a few hours here and there, but I don't think club managers should be taken away from their jobs for days/ weeks at a time.

It would work part time alongside other jobs though, such as punditry, ambassadorial duties and some coaching.

bingo70
15-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Clarke’s been offered the job.

Was he not saying just recently he wants to get back to English football soon?

Good manager, can’t take to the guy at all though, probably the best man for the job but I won’t be disappointed if we don’t get him.

brog
15-05-2019, 07:50 PM
IMO Clarke is by far & away the outstanding candidate. If the SFA give him the structure & the support he needs then I believe he'll take the job. Otherwise it will be Gemmill.

bingo70
15-05-2019, 07:55 PM
IMO Clarke is by far & away the outstanding candidate. If the SFA give him the structure & the support he needs then I believe he'll take the job. Otherwise it will be Gemmill.

I hope there’s some succession planning if Clarke does get it.

I suspect he’ll be away to the first job in England he can get so it would make sense to have Gemmil as his assistant with a view to taking over at a later date.

FWIW I don’t know if I agree that Gemmil will only be appointed to be a yes man. He’s served his time well working through the age groups and appears to have done a good job, international management is a different job to club management and he could be a good choice. He’s also likely to have an interest in the bigger picture in terms of promoting youth players.

I also suspect he’s absolutely desperate for the job and I’m not sure you could say the same about Clarke.

Cat Stanton
15-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Clarke’s been offered the job.

Would be a win-win: Scotland get a good manager, and Kilmarnock go back to being sh*te..

HibeesLA
15-05-2019, 08:47 PM

I hope so!!

vuefrom1875
15-05-2019, 09:21 PM

Who gives a flying f#k.

theonlywayisup
15-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Who gives a flying f#k.

I do. If you don't why bother reading the thread.

Can't understand why people post such comments.

Lago
15-05-2019, 09:27 PM
I do. If you don't why bother reading the thread.

Can't understand why people post such comments.
Attention seekers!

Is It On....
15-05-2019, 09:33 PM

Hope you are wrong but suspect you won't be..

Diclonius
15-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Who gives a flying f#k.

Plenty of people.

Tarrahib
15-05-2019, 09:38 PM

Good manager, can’t take to the guy at all though, probably the best man for the job but I won’t be disappointed if we don’t get him.
If he got the Scotland job he would probably be able to do the job from his English home.He would be in the family house more often than he is at the moment.

hfc rd
15-05-2019, 09:46 PM
I’m genuinely not really fussed who we get as what difference will it make?

Our problems stem much further than who the manager is. We’ve been in this position countless times in the past that I don’t really see what difference this new manager will make. Guardiola or SAF would both struggle themselves if they were appointed, especially with the blazers who are running our game to the ground.

Whoever it is, good luck to him because he’s gonna need it!

Jim44
15-05-2019, 09:47 PM
On the news earlier today, they were talking about the SFA narrowing it down to 3 candidates. To me, you’re not a candidate unless you have applied for or expressed an interest in the job. As far as I know, Clarke and McIness have expressed no interest whatsoever in the job, so how are they candidates? I presume that Gemmil is the only true candidate and may very well be offered the job. It is a disgrace if they try to ‘coerce’ Clarke or McIness into accepting the job, without interviewing them. How do they know they are suitable for the job? Unless of course, they have interviewed them and they are lying through their teeth and feigning no interest in the job.

eastmainsmsh
15-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Chris Coleman been sacked by Chinese club did superb with Wales worth a shout

HoboHarry
15-05-2019, 10:00 PM
On the news earlier today, they were talking about the SFA narrowing it down to 3 candidates. To me, you’re not a candidate unless you have applied for or expressed an interest in the job. As far as I know, Clarke and McIness have expressed no interest whatsoever in the job, so how are they candidates? I presume that Gemmil is the only true candidate and may very well be offered the job. It is a disgrace if they try to ‘coerce’ Clarke or McIness into accepting the job, without interviewing them. How do they know they are suitable for the job? Unless of course, they have interviewed them and they are lying through their teeth and feigning no interest in the job.
Coerce? It's head-hunting and it happens all of the time. I haven't applied for a job since 2005, I haven't had that many jobs but I haven't applied for a job since then and have never been unemployed in that time.....

eastcoasthibby
15-05-2019, 10:09 PM

How do we know he is the outstanding candidate ? Who knows who has applied ? Or is the assumptions being made that the SFA are keeping their usual narrow thinking ? Have to admit I wouldn't complain if Clarke got the job, I would igf Gemmil got it though has proved nothing about being a decent manager never mind one that can take this job on ....

Hibbyradge
15-05-2019, 10:09 PM

How do you know they haven't expressed an interest?

You're getting worked up for no reason, Jim.

Smartie
15-05-2019, 10:13 PM
I’m genuinely not really fussed who we get as what difference will it make?

Our problems stem much further than who the manager is. We’ve been in this position countless times in the past that I don’t really see what difference this new manager will make. Guardiola or SAF would both struggle themselves if they were appointed, especially with the blazers who are running our game to the ground.

Whoever it is, good luck to him because he’s gonna need it!

It will make a big difference.

We have a world class player, several very good players, a good few decent ones and a good manager should get a performance out of a few honest but limited pros making up a solid unit.

We have a bit of time to prepare for a winnable 2 legger against (?) Finland then we're close to qualifying for our first finals in yonks.

The defensive unit against Kazakhstan was shameful, as was the pitiful willingness of players to turn up for international duty - both problems that I think can be pinned on the manager, and things that you wouldn't have to be Pep Guardiola to make a significant improvement upon.

Hibeesmad
15-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Don't think Alex Ferguson could turn this Scotland team around. Utter gash.

Heisenberg
15-05-2019, 10:56 PM
I don’t think the squad is all that bad (when they are all available for selection). Much better than the squad Northern Ireland have had in recent years and look what they did at the last Euros.

We need a good manager who unites the players and makes them want to play for him and their country again. Clarke is surely the standout candidate.

California-Hibs
16-05-2019, 05:23 AM

Nah, don't buy that. Theres more than enough decent talent in the squad to work with.

Gloucester Hibs
16-05-2019, 05:53 AM
Nah, don't buy that. Theres more than enough decent talent in the squad to work with.

Exactly, in Tierney, Fraser, McGinn, McTominay, Robertson et al we have the foundations of a a decent young-ish side. Trick is getting them all available at the same time for the big games and not being posted missing!

JimBHibees
16-05-2019, 06:15 AM

So he has no responsibility for that. Could he not just have used all this spare time to watch games go along to club training or just generally keep himself fit?

G B Young
16-05-2019, 09:16 AM
So he has no responsibility for that. Could he not just have used all this spare time to watch games go along to club training or just generally keep himself fit?

I think he said it was the regular motorway stop-offs at McDondalds while driving to watch games that saw him pile on the weight (and who knows, contributed to his heart issues). But yes he could have tried harder to keep himself in shape. I'm not sure if he plays golf (which seems to be the activity of choice for most out of work or international managers with time on their hands), although he strikes me as the kind of guy who may not have too many pals who would want to join him for 18 holes.

Nevertheless, I think the point he was making was that you can watch club games almost every day of the week if you like and form an idea of what you think will constitute a decent Scotland side, only to find that by the time the game eventually comes round half a dozen or more of those players are injured or unavailable. There's no real sense, as there is with a club job, of a steady building process.

One way of making the job a bit more hands on would be to have just one manager in charge of the under-21s and the full team. Neither role requires full-time commitment and both teams rarely play at the same time. It would also give the guy in charge a better overview of the players at his disposal.

Personally, I think the system of having one guy put his head on the block as Scotland boss every couple of years doesn't work. If it did, we'd have qualified for something in the last 22 years. I think I'm right in saying that until the 1960s we didn't even have a Scotland manager as such and that the teams were picked by committees. I'm not advocating a return to that system but perhaps a guy like Malky Mackay on long-term contract in a more streamlined director of football type role, where the manager is not such a public face of the international side, might work better (and let's face it, what does HIS role actually entail at present? Another job with questionable full-time credentials).

Souter96Mac
16-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Seems most bookies have Clarke to be next manager at 1/10. Would be very happy with him, and it would derail Killie too!

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-05-2019, 09:26 AM
All signs pointing towards Clarke being appointed

Cue Gemmill/Mackay being announced tomorrow

brog
16-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Who gives a flying f#k.

It takes a special kind of genius to take the time to go on a thread entitled "Next Scotland Manager" & make this comment! :greengrin

Billy Whizz
16-05-2019, 09:38 AM
All signs pointing towards Clarke being appointed

Cue Gemmill/Mackay being announced tomorrow

If I was Killie, I’d be disappointed if this gets announced just before a huge game for them on Sunday
They could easily have waited until Monday

JXM73
16-05-2019, 09:51 AM
The scottish national team to me ranks just above womens football, only difference is i might watch a scotland game... Clarke or mcinnes would be nuts to take the job... step back or semi retirement for either of them...

pontius pilate
16-05-2019, 10:14 AM
I'm all for Clark I'm sure he will get the best out of the players at his disposal and maybe bring in some fresh faces. Roll on Monday then

Diclonius
16-05-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm happy with Clarke or Gemmill.

JimBHibees
16-05-2019, 11:02 AM
If I was Killie, I’d be disappointed if this gets announced just before a huge game for them on Sunday
They could easily have waited until Monday

Agree absolutely no need to announce before Sunday if that is indeed the case.

The 90+2
16-05-2019, 11:07 AM

He said his future was living back in England. I think he will be just what we need if given time. Still would have preferred Moyes myself though.

The 90+2
16-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Agree absolutely no need to announce before Sunday if that is indeed the case.

It won’t. Indications are it will be announced on Monday.

Billy Whizz
16-05-2019, 11:12 AM
It won’t. Indications are it will be announced on Monday.

Makes more sense, but was going by BBC reports

Seveno
16-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Can someone explain to me what influence the SFA will have once a manager is appointed? Surely it is then up to the manager and players to perform. We currently have a number of good young players coming through and a genuine world class player in Andy Robertson.

Gordon Strachan was getting there and I believe that Clarke is the man to organise the squad and get players wanting to play for him and for Scotland.

Stuart93
16-05-2019, 12:34 PM
I’m all for Clarke getting it purely because it would weaken killie

Alex Trager
16-05-2019, 12:40 PM
I’m all for Clarke getting it purely because it would weaken killie

And hugely improve scotland

Diclonius
16-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Can someone explain to me what influence the SFA will have once a manager is appointed? Surely it is then up to the manager and players to perform. We currently have a number of good young players coming through and a genuine world class player in Andy Robertson.

Gordon Strachan was getting there and I believe that Clarke is the man to organise the squad and get players wanting to play for him and for Scotland.

Any potential manager who repeats the tired mantra that our players aren't good enough to compete should automatically be out of the running, primarily because that statement isn't true any more. Aside from up front we have a very good team now.

Smartie
16-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Any potential manager who repeats the tired mantra that our players aren't good enough to compete should automatically be out of the running, primarily because that statement isn't true any more. Aside from up front we have a very good team now.

If Griffiths sorts himself out then we've got a good forward again.

What we need more than anything is someone who can take some fairly average players and cobble them together into a tight defensive unit. I cannot believe how bad the centre of Scotland's defence looks at times.

FWIW I think Clarke has proven himself to be about as good as anyone at doing this so he'd be the man for me.

brog
16-05-2019, 03:20 PM

There are more than 50.players eligible for Scotland playing for clubs in the top 2 divisions in England. Add the Scottish based players to that & you have the potential for a very decent team if they're properly managed.

G B Young
16-05-2019, 03:51 PM
The scottish national team to me ranks just above womens football, only difference is i might watch a scotland game... Clarke or mcinnes would be nuts to take the job... step back or semi retirement for either of them...

I'd agree. Strachan was a better fit as he was content to live in semi-retirement and just pop up to Scotland when the games came around. However, he was more of an old fashioned tartan army cheerleader than a guy who was ever going to achieve genuine success. There was something cringeworthy about him claiming that hammering Gibraltar in a meaningless game in front of thousands of holidaying Scots was one of the greatest moments of his career.

I don't get why any club manager with plenty of years left in the game would step away from that to take on a job which offers so little time with players. Better to promote from within the Scotland coaching system (ie Gemmill).

GreenCastle
16-05-2019, 08:38 PM
World class player in Andy Robertson?????

Had to actually double read people’s posts.

Yes he has improved and is a very good Liverpool team but World Class?!!

Wouldn’t make the top 100 world class players playing around the world right now.

HoboHarry
16-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Wouldn’t make the top 100 world class players playing around the world right now.
You would make the top 1 in talking bollocks :faf::faf::faf:

B.H.F.C
16-05-2019, 08:46 PM

Probably the best left back in Europe this year. Not many in world football better in his position at the moment.

GreenCastle
16-05-2019, 08:47 PM
You would make the top 1 in talking bollocks :faf::faf::faf:

Haha..opinions.

He isn’t world class.

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Augero
Silva
Hazard

To name a few are in the top list.

Robertson isn’t near the level of these guys. Good player / great guy but still long way to go before he’s considered world class.

sambajustice
16-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Haha..opinions.

He isn’t world class.

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Augero
Silva
Hazard

Robertson isn’t near the level of these guys. Good player / great guy but still long way to go before he’s considered world class.

Who are the other 94?

James Stephen
16-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Haha..opinions.

He isn’t world class.

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Augero
Silva
Hazard

Can only attacking players be world class?

Would you not say a defender for one of the top club sides in the world, who has played, and been an important player in reaching, the top club game in Europe for the last two seasons, as well as nearly winning the top league in the world, might make him, by definition world class? He is literally, playing at the top of world football.

GreenCastle
16-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Probably the best left back in Europe this year. Not many in world football better in his position at the moment.

Alba
Marcelo
Alonso
Alaba
Sandro

5 of the top of my head

GreenCastle
16-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Who are the other 94?

Where does he rank in world class ratings then?

If he is world class what are all the other Liverpool players ?

Salah
Mane

For starters...

Salah and Mane not even same level as Messi or Ronaldo.

James Stephen
16-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Alba
Marcelo
Alonso
Alaba
Sandro

5 of the top of my head

You named six world class attackers, can there not be six world class left backs too, and you can add Robertson in 😀

GreenCastle
16-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Can only attacking players be world class?

Would you not say a defender for one of the top club sides in the world, who has played, and been an important player in reaching, the top club game in Europe for the last two seasons, as well as nearly winning the top league in the world, might make him, by definition world class? He is literally, playing at the top of world football.

Next you will be telling me Jordan Henderson and James Milner are world class as they have played consecutive finals.

Just because Messi hasn't won World Cup doesn’t stop him being world class.

GreenCastle
16-05-2019, 08:59 PM
You named six world class attackers, can there not be six world class left backs too, and you can add Robertson in 😀

Named 5 above who have played at a higher level for longer.

Robertson needs to maintain this level for several seasons to even be considered a great player.

Maldini was world class.

Are you telling me Robertson is the same level ??

Paul Lambert won the champions league - he wasn’t world class and wouldn’t make the top 1000 world class players ever list.

The 90+2
Robertson is either first or second in his position in the world .

That makes him world class.

sambajustice
Where does he rank in world class ratings then?

If he is world class what are all the other Liverpool players ?

Salah
Mane

For starters...

Salah and Mane not even same level as Messi or Ronaldo.

Well he got in the PFA team of the year.

I'd say most of the Liverpool players are world class.

James Stephen
16-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Next you will be telling me Jordan Henderson and James Milner are world class as they have played consecutive finals.

I really wont. Neither are among the top players in their position. And I never said a peep about Messi.

Anyway, it's always a pointless discussion because world class is a meaningless and entirely subjective term.

Smartie

These players are both hugely under-appreciated and they are part of the reason their team has reached back to back European Cup finals.

I'm happy with the definition that if you're one of the best in the world in your position then you're world class.

Klopp kens a thing or two about football and I suspect he'd consider him to be world class.

Now, about the McKenna position...........

GreenCastle
Same team of year as Pogba ?!

James Stephen
16-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Robertson needs to maintain this level for several seasons to even be considered a great player.

Maldini was world class.

Paul Lambert won the champions league - he wasn’t world class and wouldn’t make the top 1000 world class players ever list.

No, I'm not saying that Robertson is better than Maldini - although, given how the role of full back has changed, Maldini could not do what Robertson does in terms of bombing up and down the flank and creating goals.

As I say, it's totally subjective.

In my opinion, anyone who can be so demonstrably one of the top players in his position, in one of the top teams, playing at the very top of world football is probably world class.

GreenCastle
16-05-2019, 09:16 PM
No, I'm not saying that Robertson is better than Maldini - although, given how the role of full back has changed, Maldini could not do what Robertson does in terms of bombing up and down the flank and creating goals.

As I say, it's totally subjective.

In my opinion, anyone who can be so demonstrably one of the top players in his position, in one of the top teams, playing at the very top of world football is probably world class.

Fair enough.

I measure it against previous levels.

Not just current players.

Just because a footballer is doing well - doesn’t automatically mean they are world class.

Robertson has a long way to go before he’s a Scotland great / let alone world class player.

Speak to others in world football and they will never have heard of Robertson.

Maldini etc are true world class players and hence why I laugh when I hear players like Robertson given that tag. I don’t see them anywhere near that level and never will be.

hfc rd
16-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Alba
Marcelo
Alonso
Alaba
Sandro

5 of the top of my head

Marcos Alonso? 😲 I’d take Andy Robertson over him every single day of the week.

Also the Chelsea fans don’t rate Alonso at all. He’s virtually their scapegoat. They were desperately wanting Sarri to drop him.

McKenzie
16-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Marcos Alonso? 😲 I’d take Andy Robertson over him every single day of the week.

Also the Chelsea fans don’t rate Alonso at all. He’s virtually their scapegoat. They were desperately wanting Sarri to drop him.

Sums up the point of view really. Robertson has outperformed every one of the 5 listed this season. No questions. If you’re the best in your position you are world class which he is

California-Hibs
16-05-2019, 11:11 PM
Fair enough.

Just because a footballer is doing well - doesn’t automatically mean they are world class.

Robertson has a long way to go before he’s a Scotland great / let alone world class player.

Maldini etc are true world class players and hence why I laugh when I hear players like Robertson given that tag. I don’t see them anywhere near that level and never will be.

You're having a shocker. Robertson IS world class. Either best or 2nd best in his position in the world. As for him not being known world wide, really don't think that's true in the slightest. So many people watch the EPL and Liverpool in general around the world. I have a Scotland top with Robertson on the back that I wear here in the States and ive had many people comment on it and Liverpool.

He's known, make no mistake about it.

HoboHarry
16-05-2019, 11:16 PM

Maldini was world class.

So Mbappe won't be considered for being great for a few years also? Is that how this works?

Steve-O
17-05-2019, 02:35 AM
You're having a shocker. Robertson IS world class. Either best or 2nd best in his position in the world. As for him not being known world wide, really don't think that's true in the slightest. So many people watch the EPL and Liverpool in general around the world. I have a Scotland top with Robertson on the back that I wear here in the States and ive had many people comment on it and Liverpool.

I kinda get what is being argued here.

Think about this though, is Robertson to Scotland what Gareth Bale is to Wales, for example?

I'd probably have to say no. Not yet at least, but hopefully that does happen! Appreciate they're in different positions but Bale started at a left back...

Ray_
17-05-2019, 05:30 AM

If that is the case then the definition of world class has seriously deteriorated over the years and that is not being disrespectful to Andy Robertson who is an excellent player.

From today's generation, Messi and Ronaldo would be the only ones regarded as world-class, back in the seventies it would have been the exceptional players of the day like Best, Cruff & Beckenbauer and not who was considered to be the best in any particular position at that particular time.

Since452
17-05-2019, 05:38 AM
Robertson is doing well at Liverpool but wouldn't call him world class. That's reserved for truly special players like Messi and Ronaldo, imo of course. In years gone by Zidane, Pirlo, fat Ronaldo, Henry, Scholes, Del Piero etc. I'd call them world class.

James Stephen
17-05-2019, 05:40 AM
If that is the case then the definition of world class has seriously deteriorated over the years and that is not being disrespectful to Andy Robertson who is an excellent player.

From today's generation, Messi and Ronaldo would be the only ones regarded as world-class, back in the seventies it would have been the exceptional players of the day like Best, Cruff & Beckenbauer and not who was considered to be the best in any particular position at that particular time.

So genuine question, you don't think there is a single world class defender or midfield player at the moment?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it shows how wide ranging people's use of the term is. Personally I consider world class to be someone who wouldn't look out of place in a world 11, and who is one of the top in their position. Yours is far more elite.

So effectively, everyone here is arguing at cross purposes.

Robertson plays in one of the top teams in the world, in his position there are few better than him.

Equally, that doesn't make him an all time great, not even close at the moment.

Brooster
17-05-2019, 05:58 AM
So genuine question, you don't think there is a single world class defender or midfield player at the moment?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but it shows how wide ranging people's use of the term is. Personally I consider world class to be someone who wouldn't look out of place in a world 11, and who is one of the top in their position. Yours is far more elite.

So effectively, everyone here is arguing at cross purposes.

Robertson plays in one of the top teams in the world, in his position there are few better than him.

Equally, that doesn't make him an all time great, not even close at the moment.

My view too. There can easily be 100 or more world class players in the world at any given time. I dont think you necessarily need to be the best in the world to be considered world class. I think Robertson has a very justified claim to be classed as a world class full back.

theonlywayisup
17-05-2019, 06:21 AM
:hijack: Jeez, who cares if Robertson is classed as "World Class" or not. He is a very good player, who's had two fantastic seasons, well respected by fans, fellow footballers & the media. Saying anything else is an opinion, not a fact.

Anyway, what's the latest with the next Scotland Manager?

AugustaHibs
17-05-2019, 06:25 AM
Alba
Marcelo
Alonso
Alaba
Sandro

5 of the top of my head

Which Alonso is this you’re talking about? Surely can’t be the Alonso that now struggles to get a game for Chelsea?

Smartie
17-05-2019, 06:53 AM
:hijack: Jeez, who cares if Robertson is classed as "World Class" or not. He is a very good player, who's had two fantastic seasons, well respected by fans, fellow footballers & the media. Saying anything else is an opinion, not a fact.

Anyway, what's the latest with the next Scotland Manager?

Yep, and I think the point is "at least there's one top notch player for a new manager, quality of the like we've not had to much of in recent decades" when we're getting all down in the dumps about the lack of quality any new manager will have to work with.

sambajustice
17-05-2019, 07:28 AM
What a nonsense this thread is.

How can only 2 people be "world class"??? If you're picking a team of the best players in the world surely they are all "world class" if they get in the team no matter how good or bad they are. If there were only 11 footballers in the whole world and I was one of them then I would genuinely be "world class"

People are confusing "All Time Greats" with "World Class"

Andy Robertson is definitely one of the best in the world in his position but he has a great team round him. Like the previous poster said, he's probably not at the Bale level where he would carry Scotland to a major championships but stick in another couple of real quality players in the Scotland team and we could do well.

Hopefully McTominay and McGinn can be those players. Tierney as well seems to have huge potential.

Just need a manager who can get more out of the "average" Scotland players.

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2019, 07:32 AM
Fair enough.

Maybe you are getting mixed up with legends and world class. Robertson right now is world class

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2019, 07:41 AM
Alba
Marcelo
Alonso
Alaba
Sandro

5 of the top of my head Surely to god you don't mean Marcus Alonso? Absolute dreadful this season and wanted out by Chelsea fans.

Haha..opinions.

He isn’t world class.

Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Augero
Silva
Hazard

Suarez isn't the player he was, just a quick look at his recent champions League record shows that.

Robertson is easily one of the best left backs in the world.

LustForLeith
17-05-2019, 07:47 AM
I always think that if Andy Robertson wasn’t Scottish then Scottish people would rate him more.

G B Young
17-05-2019, 07:48 AM
I kinda get what is being argued here.

Think about this though, is Robertson to Scotland what Gareth Bale is to Wales, for example?

I'd probably have to say no. Not yet at least, but hopefully that does happen! Appreciate they're in different positions but Bale started at a left back...

Robertson's obviously a good player given that he's playing in a fine Liverpool side. However, it's tempting to overrate him simply because it's so unusual these days for a Scottish player to be turning out for a top English side. As you say his presence in the Scotland team has done little to improve our fortunes at international level.

Liverpool would also likely have failed to reach the Champions League final if he hadn't been subbed off at half time in the semi-final, bearing in mind his replacement scored two goals.

Smartie
17-05-2019, 08:10 AM
I always think that if Andy Robertson wasn’t Scottish then Scottish people would rate him more.

If Robertson was a Brazilian who had just discovered a Scottish granny and decided to play for us now, we'd be lapping him up.

I suppose if you're being hyper-critical it might be fair to say that he hasn't yet looked anything like the player he is for Liverpool when playing for Scotland (then there's his highly suspicious dental problem no show for the Kazakhstan game) therefore leading to some Scots not rating him as highly as they might expect to.

Since452
17-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Which Alonso is this you’re talking about? Surely can’t be the Alonso that now struggles to get a game for Chelsea?

He was rubbish at Mclaren last season and making a hash broon of the Indy 500 testing

HappyAsHellas
17-05-2019, 08:32 AM
I always look at the term world class as meaning the player would be selected for any team in the world - hence Messi and Ronaldo are world class. Not too many others when you think about it and whilst Robertson is a genuine quality player he hasn't risen to that level - yet.

yonder1875
17-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Andy Robertson and Jordi Alba have been streets ahead of any LBs in the world this season.

Keith_M
17-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Who gives a flying f#k.

Says the guy who bothered enough to post about it.

Since452
17-05-2019, 09:30 AM
I always look at the term world class as meaning the player would be selected for any team in the world - hence Messi and Ronaldo are world class. Not too many others when you think about it and whilst Robertson is a genuine quality player he hasn't risen to that level - yet.

Thats exactly my understanding of it. World class gets thrown around far too often these days

Diclonius
17-05-2019, 09:46 AM

Yup. The Scottish cringe raising its ugly head again.

GreenCastle
17-05-2019, 10:26 AM
I guess we will agree to disagree.

Everyone has their own understanding of world class.

I personally see it as looking at the bigger picture - not just a player who hits form surrounded by good players. Many players have had a few good seasons.

But for me for the title of World Class to be given out they need to show consistency playing at the top level (world cup / euros / champions league / domestic league) against equally good players.

That player needs to stand out and be the best if not one of the top 3 in his team.

As I said previously Robertson could arguably be the 4th best Liverpool player - is he better than Trent Alexander as they are very similar and I don't see him being world class.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Augero, Pique, Alba, Alves, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets - these are players which have delivered on the world stage continuously.

Bale is a good example - he dragged Wales to major tournaments. Robertson hasn't done this yet and needs to prove he can do this for me if he is to even get close to be given the World Class tag.

There is a shortage of decent left backs right now which isn't his fault but if Robertson is World Class - what was Maldini in his prime / let alone now when you look back on his career ? :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2019, 11:00 AM

I personally see it as looking at the bigger picture - not just a player who hits form surrounded by good players. Many players have had a few good seasons.

But for me for the title of World Class to be given out they need to show consistency playing at the top level (world cup / euros / champions league / domestic league) against equally good players.

That player needs to stand out and be the best if not one of the top 3 in his team.

As I said previously Robertson could arguably be the 4th best Liverpool player - is he better than Trent Alexander as they are very similar and I don't see him being world class.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Augero, Pique, Alba, Alves, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets - these are players which have delivered on the world stage continuously.

Bale is a good example - he dragged Wales to major tournaments. Robertson hasn't done this yet and needs to prove he can do this for me if he is to even get close to be given the World Class tag.

There is a shortage of decent left backs right now which isn't his fault but if Robertson is World Class - what was Maldini in his prime / let alone now when you look back on his career ? :greengrin

Maldini was the best ever, that doesn't make Robertson any less good.

allezsauzee
17-05-2019, 11:17 AM

A tad harsh to say that you're not World class if you aren't as good as Maldini. He's probably the best defender I've ever seen.

sambajustice
17-05-2019, 11:42 AM

You're at it!

Mantis Toboggan
17-05-2019, 11:44 AM
The above all proof that the phrase World Class is completely meaningless since people just make up their own rules

MrRobot
17-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Andy Robertson and Jordi Alba have been streets ahead of any LBs in the world this season.

Apart from Lewis Stevenson :cb

WeeRussell
17-05-2019, 12:02 PM

:agree: Andres Roberto from Brazil and this is a completely different thread.

Probably wouldn't be as good as an Italian left back who retired before Andy was even out of school, so not world class, but not bad.

Scott Allan Key
17-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Probably the best left back in Europe this year. Not many in world football better in his position at the moment.Yep, Mourinho was speechless in assessing how good Robertson was in a game earlier in the season against United.

I hate how some idiotic Scots talk down our talent, when it's clear to see from established top football people. It's the idiots fault we're not pulling our weight internationally as much as it is the Doncasters and, recently, Regans of the world.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
17-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Yep, Mourinho was speechless in assessing how good Robertson was in a game earlier in the season against United.

I hate how some idiotic Scots talk down our talent, when it's clear to see from established top football people. It's the idiots fault we're not pulling our weight internationally as much as it is the Doncasters and, recently, Regans of the world.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
I thought the Swiss were a peaceful bunch? :greengrin

MichaelBrown
17-05-2019, 01:05 PM

What does world class even mean in your eyes? It's one of those ridiculous phrases that mean completely different things to different people. For example, I understand ''world class'' as two or three players in each position who are the best at the minute, regardless of trophies won etc. Comparing Robertson (25, first couple of seasons at a huge club) to Messi is ridiculous.

I'm English so I've got no affinity or bias towards Liverpool or Scotland. But, you're crazily wrong about Robertson. Apart from Jordi Alba, I'm struggling to think of better left backs in the world. He's by a country mile the best LB in the Prem. I'd take him over any left back England have got as well.

Really not sure how you can compare a left back to a keeper or a striker either.

Out of interest, is there some sort of feature on this board that notifies you if your posts are quoted?

Scotland (with the right system) should be capable of qualifying for a major tournament. Steve Clarke should be given time and the correct backroom support (like England have tried to implement) that runs through all age groups. Your side at the minute has 1 world class player (Robertson), several very good ones (Fraser, Tierney, Cairney ) and then numerous good players who're all capable of performing at this level. You're in a similar position to Wales who're at least trying to tie down promising players who might in the future make a real impact on their side, for example Brookes at Bournemouth who's an excellent player.

EDIT: Comparing him to Maldini, haha. It's like saying Harry Kane is ***** because he's not Thierry Henry.

CorrieHibs
17-05-2019, 01:42 PM
I think the national team has a lot of really good players and have loads of potential

Robertson had 11 assists this season. More than most “world class” midfielders in the EPL.
McGinn was voted players and fans POTY at Villa. Ahead of £40m rated English wonder kid Grealish.
Ryan Fraser was voted fans POTY at Bournemouth. The second most assists in the EPL. He also has Arsenal looking at him.
Calum McGregor was on the shortlist for the Scottish POTY
James Forest was voted POTY in Scotland
The amount of players we have playing regularly in the EPL also.

We just need a manager to can get the right balance. Loads of postitives. I’m sure Michael O’Neil and Mick McCarthy would love to have this squad at their disposal.

Scottish folk are too quick to put the national team. Let’s back them instead.

Steven79
17-05-2019, 02:39 PM
A half decent manager should be able to make a decent stab of reaching Euro 2020 with this squad.

Scott Bain
Jon McLaughlin
Jordan Archer

Stephen O'Donnell
David Bates
Scott McKenna
Liam Cooper
John Souttar
Kieran Tierney
Andrew Robertson

Matt Ritchie
James Forrest
John McGinn
Callum McGregor
Ryan Christie
Scott McTominay
James Paterson
Tom Cairney
Greame Shinnie
Stuart Armstrong
Ryan Fraser
Kenny McLean

Steven Naismith
Steve Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths
Oliver McBurnie
Matt Phillips

stokesmessiah
17-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Reading between the lines Clarke has the job? Mcinnes rules himself out today and Clarkes assistant releases he would find it hard to turn down on the same day.

sambajustice
17-05-2019, 06:42 PM
A half decent manager should be able to make a decent stab of reaching Euro 2020 with this squad.

Scott Bain
Jon McLaughlin
Jordan Archer

Stephen O'Donnell
David Bates
Scott McKenna
Liam Cooper
John Souttar
Kieran Tierney
Andrew Robertson

Matt Ritchie
James Forrest
John McGinn
Callum McGregor
Ryan Christie
Scott McTominay
James Paterson
Tom Cairney
Greame Shinnie
Stuart Armstrong
Ryan Fraser
Kenny McLean

Steven Naismith
Steve Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths
Oliver McBurnie
Matt Phillips

Good midfielders but I'd say that's a piss poor forwards selection

oneone73
17-05-2019, 06:44 PM

Add McNulty to the list!

California-Hibs
17-05-2019, 07:10 PM
I think the national team has a lot of really good players and have loads of potential

Robertson had 11 assists this season. More than most “world class” midfielders in the EPL.
McGinn was voted players and fans POTY at Villa. Ahead of £40m rated English wonder kid Grealish.
Ryan Fraser was voted fans POTY at Bournemouth. The second most assists in the EPL. He also has Arsenal looking at him.
Calum McGregor was on the shortlist for the Scottish POTY
James Forest was voted POTY in Scotland
The amount of players we have playing regularly in the EPL also.

We just need a manager to can get the right balance. Loads of postitives. I’m sure Michael O’Neil and Mick McCarthy would love to have this squad at their disposal.

Scottish folk are too quick to put the national team. Let’s back them instead.

Yep, couldn't echo this more.

California-Hibs
17-05-2019, 07:12 PM

A fit and focused Leigh Griffiths is far from 'piss poor'. If his situation changes and he starts playing again, I predict he'll go on to prove once again how huge a talent he is.

macca70
17-05-2019, 09:58 PM
So Steve Clarke is the new Scotland manager.

Not sure I am too comfy with this, there’s no doubting he has over achieved with Killie based on league position.

But, it appears to me that he is taking it for the wrong reasons, he wants to move back down south with his family and therefore can’t have the full time day to day running of a club therefore the national job fits in with that agenda for him.

He is managing at the highest level as international manager, IMO, he should at least be based in the country of the team he manages and not taking it in because it is s better fit for him than club football.

bingo70
17-05-2019, 10:02 PM

Not sure I am too comfy with this, there’s no doubting he has over achieved with Killie based on league position.

But, it appears to me that he is taking it for the wrong reasons, he wants to move back down south with his family and therefore can’t have the full time day to day running of a club therefore the national job fits in with that agenda for him.

He is managing at the highest level as international manager, IMO, he should at least be based in the country of the team he manages and not taking it in because it is s better fit for him than club football.

Completely agree.

He’s done a fantastic job at Killie and if he can translate that to the Scotland job then terrific. For now though it feels to me like he’s taken this one as he got overlooked for the Fulham job.

Still though, this will be a step up from the Killie job for him and if he does well he’ll be back managing in England within a year or so.

WeeRussell
17-05-2019, 10:08 PM
Completely agree.

He’s done a fantastic job at Killie and if he can translate that to the Scotland job then terrific. For now though it feels to me like he’s taken this one as he got overlooked for the Fulham job.

Still though, this will be a step up from the Killie job for him and if he does well he’ll be back managing in England within a year or so.

I think if he really wanted to manage an English club he would bide his time and not be short of offers.

I don’t believe for a second Steve Clarke would take the Scotland job as a stop-gap.

Frazerbob
17-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Michael O’Neil lives in Edinburgh. He’s done no bad.

macca70
17-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Michael O’Neil lives in Edinburgh. He’s done no bad.

Suppose so, and majority of Scotland squad probably plays down south anyway so he’ll be well placed to go watch some of our players playing for the lower English league dross

Smartie
17-05-2019, 10:54 PM
It's really not all that hard to travel back and forward between England and Scotland these days.

Allant1981
18-05-2019, 06:38 AM

Does it really matter if he is based in England, it takes as long to get to Inverness as it does newcastle for example

Pilrig_Sauzee
18-05-2019, 08:01 AM
To qualify we generally have needed to win one more game than we had, or avoid a shocker of a result. The improvement needed, is not off the scale. Our squad under someone like Clarke, could achieve that.

Imagine all of Hampden singing the McGinn song.

Eyrie
18-05-2019, 09:49 AM
I don't see Clarke being based in England as a major issue. He can travel up to take in a couple of games over a weekend and it's easy enough to send him footage of the games up here.

Given how he turned Kilmarnock round he'd be a good choice to improve the current Scotland squad, and as the popular choice will be given more time if results don't go his way initially.