PDA

View Full Version : Question Dylan “The Star” Mcgeough back to Easter Road

GoWithTheFlo
14-05-2019, 06:40 PM
It has just recently come to my attention, that we are looking to bring back Dyln Mcgeough into the midfield to play alongside Scott Allan, Stevie Malan and possibly Stephane Omeonga. Now my thinking is we will get one of the 2, Omega, or Mcgeough, either of which i wold tke in the hibs midfield.

I have not personally been keeping up with Mcgeough and how he has been doing down south with Sunderland, but I’m sure, if there are as many people still watching out for Mcginn, there has to be some people watching Mcgeouch’s progression as a footballer.
So with this, this means i’m not sure how Dylan has been playing , I know he had a bad injury at the start of the season but i’m lead to believe he is back playing, i don’t know if thats for the first team or for the reserves, if anyone knows i’d be more than happy to listen.

SO, with that being said, would you take the former star back at Easter road, or do you think we will get Omeonga in on a permanent, baring in mind he has stated that he doesn’t fancy going back to Genoa, in Italy, and would love to call aster road home if all parties involved can agree a contract.

Thanks for Reading:flag:

Sammy7nil
14-05-2019, 06:43 PM
I think 95% of fans would take both and bite yer hand off for either.

Keith_M
14-05-2019, 06:47 PM
I expect Hecky has his own targets.

It'll be interesting to see what type of player he goes after.

WeeRussell
14-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Omeonga please.

chrisski33
14-05-2019, 07:11 PM
I doubt hes coming back. Quick to leave us and quick to come back. No doubt be offski again as quick

Stuart93
14-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Omeonga please.

Mcgeouch’s a lot better than Omegona

Unseen work
14-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Would take him back in a heartbeat.

I would take Omeonga back although for me he’s not as good as others seem to think. He’s been playing attacking positions but has next to no end product. His main attribute is his energy and running power but I’m unsure if he would have the discipline to play a in a midfield 2.

Mallan deserves to start centre mid after the season he has had, McGeouch coming in would be good as it would allow us to release him and get further up the park to score and create chances.

Heckinbottom to me seems the type of manager that will want legs and power in centre mid.

Personally I could see him playing Allan in a Left mid sort of role that Omeonga has been playing this season.

...................Mcgeouch..............
..........Mallan............Omeonga.......
Boyle............................................A llan.....
....................Kamberi..................

Something like that? However imo Allan would be wasted out wide and the centre looks a bit weak and would get bullied.

Kojock
14-05-2019, 07:29 PM

You sure??

Smartie
14-05-2019, 07:30 PM

Different type of player.

You'd get more minutes of football out of Omeonga for starters.

A midfield of Omega, McGeouch and Allan would be immense.

Unseen work
14-05-2019, 07:30 PM

Completely agree.

Stuart93
14-05-2019, 07:33 PM
You sure??

Positive aye

Omegona is a really good player though

Billy Whizz
14-05-2019, 07:35 PM

Neither of them score goals though

Stuart93
14-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Neither of them score goals though

That’s what mallan Allan and strikers are for

Onceinawhile
14-05-2019, 07:37 PM
4 in 101 for Dylan for us. Pretty poor tbf. He also injured himself scoring one of the 4!

Anywau Dylan over Omeonga any day. Would allow us to move Mallan further forward.

Eyrie
14-05-2019, 07:43 PM

Debatable as they are different types of player.

But a midfield of Allan, Mallan and Omeonga is better balanced than one of Allan, Mallan and McGeouch.

I'll take the former.

Stuart93
14-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Debatable as they are different types of player.

But a midfield of Allan, Mallan and Omeonga is better balanced than one of Allan, Mallan and McGeouch.

I'll take the former.

They are different types of players but mcgeouch is still a better player.

derekduval
14-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Dylan will never get a better wage than he’s on now and doesn’t have long left. Was a good at the time but that time is up.

500miles
14-05-2019, 07:50 PM
We've missed Dylan's compusure against Celtic and Rangers. We give the ball away too much against the top teams and waste a lot of energy recovering it.

hibeerealist
14-05-2019, 07:53 PM
O
It has just recently come to my attention, that we are looking to bring back Dyln Mcgeough into the midfield to play alongside Scott Allan, Stevie Malan and possibly Stephane Omeonga. Now my thinking is we will get one of the 2, Omega, or Mcgeough, either of which i wold tke in the hibs midfield.

I have not personally been keeping up with Mcgeough and how he has been doing down south with Sunderland, but I’m sure, if there are as many people still watching out for Mcginn, there has to be some people watching Mcgeouch’s progression as a footballer.
So with this, this means i’m not sure how Dylan has been playing , I know he had a bad injury at the start of the season but i’m lead to believe he is back playing, i don’t know if thats for the first team or for the reserves, if anyone knows i’d be more than happy to listen.

SO, with that being said, would you take the former star back at Easter road, or do you think we will get Omeonga in on a permanent, baring in mind he has stated that he doesn’t fancy going back to Genoa, in Italy, and would love to call aster road home if all parties involved can agree a contract.

Dylan rarely gets a start he has been a regular on the bench, after his injury. Doubt he has progressed down there and apart from bigger income each month, he can’t be enjoying it.

ancient hibee
14-05-2019, 07:57 PM
He left because he wanted more money so I doubt he’ll turn his back on that.

Since90+2
14-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Genuinely baffled if any Hibs fan wouldn't take McGeough back. Tremendous player in the Scottish Premier.

Golden Bear
14-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Not for me, he was hero worshipped by many but he had far too many crab tendencies for my liking.

Pretty Boy
14-05-2019, 08:03 PM
McGeough was a huge player for us, when he played we were a better side. If he was available, if he wanted to come back and if PH wanted him then it's the proverbial no brainer.

He had the ability to make football look a really simple game which probably led to him being under appreciated by some. As I've said before the ability to keep the ball and control possession is the most underrated skill in football and McGeough made it look easy.

Stuart93
14-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Genuinely baffled if any Hibs fan wouldn't take McGeough back. Tremendous player in the Scottish Premier.

Been an obvious miss in our team this season. He was the link from defence to midfield and could carry the ball for fun.

Now it’s lumped from defence usually to an opposition players head

Zazu62
14-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Think he will end up at Aberdeen at some point

Keith_M
14-05-2019, 08:30 PM
He's not coming back.

J-C
14-05-2019, 08:38 PM
I doubt hes coming back. Quick to leave us and quick to come back. No doubt be offski again as quick

Lennon had a lot to do with Dylan leaving, we seemingly offered very decent money so that wasn't a problem.

jacomo
14-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Not for me, he was hero worshipped by many but he had far too many crab tendencies for my liking.

I bet you thought Boozy was a waste of a Jersey too.

Hibs are at their best with a player like that in midfield. Their job is not to score goals but win and retain the ball.

Since452
14-05-2019, 08:46 PM

Are we?

J-C
14-05-2019, 08:54 PM
I bet you thought Boozy was a waste of a Jersey too.

Hibs are at their best with a player like that in midfield. Their job is not to score goals but win and retain the ball.

Nothing wrong with going sideways to an extent, it's doing it with a purpose and to keep the ball moving, Milligan tries to do this but is a bit too slow and goes backwards all to often. Dylan plays the linchpin to perfection, picking it up from the back and moving it on, always available for a pass.

ancient hibee
14-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Lennon had a lot to do with Dylan leaving, we seemingly offered very decent money so that wasn't a problem.
So you don’t think getting four times what he was offered here mattered?:greengrin

Sir David Gray
14-05-2019, 09:13 PM
I can't see him coming back but I would bite your hand off for Dylan McGeouch.

He was a class act for us.

LeithMike
14-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Dylan would walk back into the Hibs midfield. As an earlier post highlighted, a midfield triumvirate of McGeouch (poise), Omeonga (drive) and Allan (craft) would be near the best midfield in Scotland. Personally, despite his goals, I dont feel Mallan gets anywhere near those three when it comes to running a game.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
14-05-2019, 09:24 PM
A cracking player whom we'd all love to welcome back, but I don't think it's going to happen.

WeeRussell
14-05-2019, 09:31 PM

I stand by my Omeonga please if I’m being asked to choose one. Guarantee me a fully fit (and staying so) Mcgeough rediscovering his form just before departing and we may have an argument.

We know what we’re getting from Omeonga right now and I think there’s more to come. As much as Dylan was a good player for us, as well as a likeable guy, I wouldn’t swap Omeonga for him.

I would however take the Mr McGinn back that I’m currently watching for villa :)

Unseen work
14-05-2019, 09:32 PM
Dylan would walk back into the Hibs midfield. As an earlier post highlighted, a midfield triumvirate of McGeouch (poise), Omeonga (drive) and Allan (craft) would be near the best midfield in Scotland. Personally, despite his goals, I dont feel Mallan gets anywhere near those three when it comes to running a game.

On its day it would be brilliant. But for me it would be too weak and bullied.

LeithMike
14-05-2019, 09:44 PM
On its day it would be brilliant. But for me it would be too weak and bullied.I think that's probably fair comment but I was always amazed when we had Dylan, McGinn and Alan how much we dominated games in the midfield. O always thought that Dylan would struggle off the ball but he never did. If Omeonga can get anywhere near McGinn's level then I'm sure that could continue.

It looks like there are two approaches for the defensive midfielder - a strong enforcer type or a footballer who can take the ball from the defence. You see it at Chelsea with Jorginho ousting ****e.

Smartie
14-05-2019, 09:59 PM
On its day it would be brilliant. But for me it would be too weak and bullied.

It could be bullied but I don't think it would be very often.

Against Aberdeen or Hearts with one of our weaker refs and we'd struggle.

You'd expect the good wee Spanish midfielders of the past couple of decades to be bullied more often but they simply outplayed the bullies.

These 3 players are strong, quick, mobile and brave in possession. They'd do fine, and be capable of much more than our current players have shown against the other top 6 sides.

MagicSwirlingShip
15-05-2019, 01:26 AM
McGeough was a huge player for us, when he played we were a better side. If he was available, if he wanted to come back and if PH wanted him then it's the proverbial no brainer.

He had the ability to make football look a really simple game which probably led to him being under appreciated by some. As I've said before the ability to keep the ball and control possession is the most underrated skill in football and McGeough made it look easy.

Fitba folk ken what's goin on :greengrin

Hermit Crab
15-05-2019, 01:31 AM

Who told you that?

Swedish hibee
15-05-2019, 02:52 AM
Another no over here. Would rather we spend his high wage on securing omeonga for the season.

BSEJVT
15-05-2019, 04:41 AM
McGeouch v Omeonga

McGeouch every time

I like Omeonga and he is all action and competitive but his use of the ball is very average and unless there were guarantees ( which there never are) that that would improve massively then it would even be a close choice

Borderhibbie76
15-05-2019, 05:39 AM
You sure??No debate hes a far better player imo I also dont think Omeonga or McNulty are as great as a lot make out tbh...happily take them both back but wont be too disappointed if it doesn't happen neither mate tbh

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
15-05-2019, 05:40 AM
Genuinely baffled if any Hibs fan wouldn't take McGeough back. Tremendous player in the Scottish Premier.110% this

Since452
15-05-2019, 07:21 AM
Very rarely is it the same when a player comes back. They're not as hungry. Can only really recall Pat McGinley being even better than he was before he left. Maybe Griffiths but that was loans. Sometimes it's just better to remember things as they were and move on.

rodhibs55
15-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Very rarely is it the same when a player comes back. They're not as hungry. Can only really recall Pat McGinley being even better than he was before he left. Maybe Griffiths but that was loans. Sometimes it's just better to remember things as they were and move on.

Scott Allan?
Great in his first spell, better in his second spell and hopefully even better again when he returns for his third spell.

tonyrougier123
15-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Hibs should focus on getting stephane rather than looking to dylan mcgeouch imo.same type of player but omeomga is much better.mcgeouch is still injury prone.we need players playing.

Stuart93
15-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Hibs should focus on getting stephane rather than looking to dylan mcgeouch imo.same type of player but omeomga is much better.mcgeouch is still injury prone.we need players playing.

You surely don’t believe that Omeonga is a lot better than Dylan? Ffs the guy won supporters and players player of the year in a team which included SJM.

tonyrougier123
15-05-2019, 07:57 AM
You surely don’t believe that Omeonga is a lot better than Dylan? Ffs the guy won supporters and players player of the year in a team which included SJM.

From what ive seen aye a do,think hes alot better actually mate.more industrious, stronger and fitter.had omeonga played all season im pretty sure he would have pipped mallan to both of those awards.my opinion like.👍

Gloucester Hibs
15-05-2019, 08:00 AM
From what ive seen aye a do,think hes alot better actually mate.more industrious, stronger and fitter.had omeonga played all season im pretty sure he would have pipped mallan to both of those awards.my opinion like.👍

I like Omeonga, but he needs to be producing a bit more than zero goals and one assist in 10+ games given the position he plays.

jeffers
15-05-2019, 08:05 AM
I don't want him back, would also rather have Omeonga. We had one season out of him where he played a considerable amount of games, then he left at the first opportunity to a club in the third tier of English football where he has (yet again) spent a good part of the season out injured and currently can't make their starting eleven. I watched albeit one game recently where he came on and was totally ineffective and was ultimately weak in the challenge that led to the opposition's winning goal.

He'd be an upgrade on Milligan in the keep possession by passing it backwards/sideways role as at least he is far more mobile, but if we are going to play Scott Allan (who added more workrate to an already sublime forward thinking game) and Mallan we need a midfielder with a bit of presence/dig about them who can provide cover to the defence.

I suppose if we don't bring Agyepong back there would be a spot freed up on the treatment table.

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Are we allowed to like both McGeouch and Omeonga, if so i'd like both if we could afford and get them.

My_Wife_Camille
15-05-2019, 08:42 AM
I'm a huge fan of Omeonga but if it were a choice between him and Dylan then it's Dylan every single time

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Walks into our current side, laughable to suggest we wouldn't take him.

Springbank
15-05-2019, 10:50 AM
My favourite recent Hibs player. A true Rolls-Royce in the middle of the park.

I remember Kenny Millar's line after the Hibs 2 Hearts 0 derby last season.

"21 players came to Easter Road tonight to play an Edinburgh Derby. Dylan McGeough came here tonight to play football"

Best midfielder in the holding role I've seen in many a year, and Easter Road is the natural home of brilliant ball-players like Dylan McGeough.

And if you want to disagree with that, get in the fxxxing sea!

Ozyhibby
15-05-2019, 11:19 AM
I can’t believe there are fans who want Milligan to carry on instead of bringing McGeogh. Mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
15-05-2019, 11:27 AM
I can’t believe there are fans who want Milligan to carry on instead of bringing McGeogh. Mental.

Are there? I agree that's mental. Milligan wasn't mentioned in OP so didn't enter into my calculations. I'm just in favour of trying to get Omeonga long-term if the question was which one do we invest a bit of money in between him and Dylan.

eastcoasthibby
15-05-2019, 11:31 AM
So you don’t think getting four times what he was offered here mattered?:greengrin

4 times what he was offered here as a new contract ? Sorry but doubt very much that's true ...he was offered very decent money to stay I was told, although not saying what he is on is signify better ...he would need to be on between 12-16 to get 4 times from what I got told was on the table here !!!

Monts
15-05-2019, 11:38 AM
If Dylan is available, bring him back :agree:

Deansy
15-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Oh wow - a Hibs-team fielding Allan, Omeonga and McGeough .....................

Greenbeard
15-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Omeonga please.
100%. Great potential to improve - would be a progressive and exciting perm signing.
McGeough too injury prone, over-rated and would be a regressive signing, sorry.
Actually no, not sorry.

eastcoasthibby
15-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Totally agree all we need is a competitive type who gives us a bit of dig and gets around the midfield areas to plug gaps and keep it simple for the other 3 ..! Mallan can compete for a jersey, as he has his strengths as well but more limited than the other 3 ...

GoWithTheFlo
15-05-2019, 01:50 PM
O

Dylan rarely gets a start he has been a regular on the bench, after his injury. Doubt he has progressed down there and apart from bigger income each month, he can’t be enjoying it.

So do you reckon the rumours of a transfer back to Easter Road could be true

MWHIBBIES
15-05-2019, 01:52 PM
100%. Great potential to improve - would be a progressive and exciting perm signing.
Actually no, not sorry.

Would signing John McGinn be a regressive signing?

Rattler
15-05-2019, 02:02 PM
So do you reckon the rumours of a transfer back to Easter Road could be true

Not entirely sure that he’s the type of player that the gaffer is looking for. We already have Millsy as a defensive midfielder anyway.

Didn’t want Dylan to leave in the first place, but times change.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2019, 02:14 PM
If we are to have him back can we try to spell his surname correctly? Too many McGeough's on here!

Ozyhibby
15-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Not entirely sure that he’s the type of player that the gaffer is looking for. We already have Millsy as a defensive midfielder anyway.

Didn’t want Dylan to leave in the first place, but times change.

You would prefer ‘Millsy’ to McGeogh? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

WeeRussell
15-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Would signing John McGinn be a regressive signing?

In what way is that relevant to the quoted poster's points?

Stevie Reid
15-05-2019, 03:57 PM
If it were to somehow be a choice between McGeough and Omeonga, it would be Dylan for me without a shadow of a doubt. Injury record is always a concern, but that's 74 appearances in the last two seasons now. A joy to watch as a footballer, always felt when Dylan was in possession that everything was ok.

Omeonga I do like, he is a raw and seems to have a lot of potential - a couple of really good performances for us too. I don't feel quite the same level of enthusiasm for him as many others, but would welcome him back next season, no doubt.

Franck Stanton
15-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Just how good is the evidence that we are trying to get Dylan back ? Is it just some are hoping we do or what strength of rumour is there? Would have him back in a heartbeat. Would also like to retain Omeonga as well. Can never have too many good players.

Joe6-2
15-05-2019, 07:03 PM
I think 95% of fans would take both and bite yer hand off for either.

Defo

vuefrom1875
15-05-2019, 09:24 PM
If we are to have him back can we try to spell his surname correctly? Too many McGeough's on here!

Never had a full season out of him,bar one....thanks,but no thanks.

Smartie
15-05-2019, 09:41 PM
As an aside from the Dylan/ Omeonga debate, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed to see the amount of criticism of Milligan on here.

Occasionally he dithers on the ball (often when he has nobody to release it to) and I thought he was pish at Ibrox recently but the guy has been excellent during our improved form during the second half of this season.

I'd be happy enough to have a midfield of him, Allan and someone with energy. A decent bit of pace out wide so Horgan isn't our only midfielder/ forward with any pace and I think we'd see more still from him.

Jones28
15-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Different type of player.

You'd get more minutes of football out of Omeonga for starters.

A midfield of Omega, McGeouch and Allan would be immense.

There's not a lot of physical presence there.

Northernhibee
15-05-2019, 09:47 PM
He would free up both Stevie Mallan and Scott Allan to do what they do. Not just yes but a thousand times yes.

Greenbeard
15-05-2019, 09:49 PM
In what way is that relevant to the quoted poster's points?
Cheers WR. Totally irrelevant comment from MWHibbies. Who would not want SJM back? Contributed miles more than DM last season, has progressed, on top form, playing regularly at a high level, robust, and has further room for improvement. None of that applies to DM. Hence DM would be a regressive signing.

Smartie
15-05-2019, 09:53 PM
There's not a lot of physical presence there.

A decent amount of pace, energy and an ability to hold onto the ball well enough that we don't need to worry so much about a physical presence winning the ball back.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Never had a full season out of him,bar one....thanks,but no thanks.

He still managed 121 appearances for us in 4 seasons. That's an average of 30 games a season which is pretty good.

I'd take him back without hesitation. One of the best football players i've seen at Hibs.

Swedish hibee
16-05-2019, 02:54 AM
He still managed 121 appearances for us in 4 seasons. That's an average of 30 games a season which is pretty good.

But not in top flight football of both countries.

MWHIBBIES
16-05-2019, 05:20 AM
Cheers WR. Totally irrelevant comment from MWHibbies. Who would not want SJM back? Contributed miles more than DM last season, has progressed, on top form, playing regularly at a high level, robust, and has further room for improvement. None of that applies to DM. Hence DM would be a regressive signing.

Just curious on your criteria for a "regressive signing"

Dylan still walks into the side, progressed or not. Was as important as Mcginn last season, hilarious to suggest Mcginn contributed miles more.

bigwheel
16-05-2019, 05:34 AM
I can’t understand the views on this thread that wouldn’t want Dylan back ..our POY in his last season with us - would be as good as any in His role that we could get in ..would be a great addition

Robbo6-2
16-05-2019, 05:52 AM
Since when was Mcgeough known as the "The Star"??

Another one that thought he was better than Hibs.

Just goes to show the grass isnt greener.

Wonder if him and Cummings text each other photos of there bank accounts on a Saturday afternoon rather than playing.

JimBHibees
16-05-2019, 06:20 AM
I can’t understand the views on this thread that wouldn’t want Dylan back ..our POY in his last season with us - would be as good as any in His role that we could get in ..would be a great addition

Absolutely would love to see him back. Great footballer to watch.

Sir David Gray
16-05-2019, 06:38 AM
But not in top flight football of both countries.

The post I was replying to wasn't anything to do with which league he was playing in, it was that he had been injured a lot for us.

I was just pointing out that 121 appearances over 4 seasons for us isn't bad for someone who's injury prone.

BoomtownHibees
16-05-2019, 07:17 AM
You can tell me “it’s only your opinion” all you want but if anybody wouldn’t take Dylan back they must watch football with their eyes shut. One of the best midfielders we have ever had at the club

we are hibs
16-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Laughable how much people are under selling how good mcgeouch was for us. He would walk into this midfield ahead of Mallan or Milligan without any questions asked. And if there was a chance of bringing him back we should jump at it.

WeeRussell
16-05-2019, 07:41 AM
You can tell me “it’s only your opinion” all you want but if anybody wouldn’t take Dylan back they must watch football with their eyes shut. One of the best midfielders we have ever had at the club

I would absolutely like to see Dylan back at us.. just not necessarily for a large some of money at the expense of keeping guys like Omeonga on. Which was the OP’s question.

GoalsMcGinley
16-05-2019, 07:47 AM
I can’t believe anyone would genuinely want Omeonga over Dylan? That’s got to be some sort of wind up surely? Come off it man!

Gloucester Hibs
16-05-2019, 07:51 AM
When was he ever known as "The Star"?

Since90+2
16-05-2019, 07:59 AM

He would only be a regressive signing if he regressed the standard of the team. Dylan would walk into our current team and improve it.

16-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Possibly trolling, trying to get a reaction.

Stevie Reid
16-05-2019, 08:57 AM
As an aside from the Dylan/ Omeonga debate, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed to see the amount of criticism of Milligan on here.

Occasionally he dithers on the ball (often when he has nobody to release it to) and I thought he was pish at Ibrox recently but the guy has been excellent during our improved form during the second half of this season.

I'd be happy enough to have a midfield of him, Allan and someone with energy. A decent bit of pace out wide so Horgan isn't our only midfielder/ forward with any pace and I think we'd see more still from him.

Agreed. Milligan has been a solid performer in midfield, and was excellent at CB in one of our most important wins of the season.

Keith_M
16-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Is the OP Dylan's agent?

Monts
16-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Is he injured or did he just not make the squad for tonight's game?

mentalhibee
16-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Would love to see Dylan back at Hibs, class act!

H113EE5
16-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Actually no, not sorry.

:agree::top marks:agree:

The 90+2
16-05-2019, 07:40 PM
I don’t think Dylan would fit into the shape of team we are going to go for next season. I would also rather Allan dictate play the Dylan.

Centre Hawf
16-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Dylan is more than welcome back at Easter Road. How some people can sit and say he wouldn't walk back into our squad is beyond me. Him Mallan and Allan in a 3 would be lovely.

matty_f
16-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Dylan is more than welcome back at Easter Road. How some people can sit and say he wouldn't walk back into our squad is beyond me. Him Mallan and Allan in a 3 would be lovely.

Agreed. Would have him back at Easter Road in a heartbeat.

Stuart93
16-05-2019, 08:03 PM
I don’t think Dylan would fit into the shape of team we are going to go for next season. I would also rather Allan dictate play the Dylan.

Dylan sits at the back of the midfield, completely different players

bookert
16-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Dylan sits at the back of the midfield, completely different players

Just seen him at back of Sunderland bench, looking alone and peed off, let's try to bring him back.

Waxy
16-05-2019, 08:10 PM
What a great player Dylan is. Always drove the team forward. Would be a great signing but i’ll trust whatever Hecky wants.

jeffers
16-05-2019, 09:26 PM
What a great player Dylan is. Always drove the team forward. Would be a great signing but i’ll trust whatever Hecky wants.

That’s just not true and why I can never buy into all the praise he got, more often than not his passes were backwards or sideways. As far as I’m concerned this always driving the team forward is a complete myth. It’s not that he couldn’t do it, just more often than not he chose not to.

Since90+2
17-05-2019, 05:55 AM
That’s just not true and why I can never buy into all the praise he got, more often than not his passes were backwards or sideways. As far as I’m concerned this always driving the team forward is a complete myth. It’s not that he couldn’t do it, just more often than not he chose not to.

It's more of a myth that his passes were all backwards and sideways.

I don't understand the "he chose not to" comment either. With respect the guys a professional footballer who has a far higher understanding of the game than yourself , if he wasn't trying to play a holywood ball at times there was probably a good reason for it ie it was more sensible to retain possession.

He is one of the best midfield players we have had in the last 10 years.

GoalsMcGinley
17-05-2019, 06:00 AM
Anyone who doesn’t believe Dylan was one of the best midfielders we’ve had since Sauzee has their eyes painted on. Simple as that.

Brooster
17-05-2019, 06:04 AM
Anyone who doesn’t believe Dylan was one of the best midfielders we’ve had since Sauzee has their eyes painted on. Simple as that.

Agreed, Dylan is a class act. I would welcome him back.

Jdawg
17-05-2019, 06:05 AM

Guess what, if you have someone who is calm under pressure and retains possession, the other team can’t score. Dylan built a lot of attacks from deep. You sometimes have to play back or sideways if there’s no movement ahead. Would you rather he just hoof it up the park?

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2019, 06:23 AM
His last season at the club was superb, he retains the ball in tight situations, he does not panic. He takes the ball from the defenders, feeds the other midfielders and helped that team go forward that scored lots of goals.

The guy was class for us, i'm not surprised some didnt rate him, as some of our fans wouldn't know a good player if one bit them on the nose.

There are even some who don't rate Scott Allan, and remember what a bomb scare Efe was? :confused:

Hibs1969
17-05-2019, 06:26 AM
Dylan was a class act who was an integral part of the best midfield to play for Hibs for years. His ability to find space and make a pass was outstanding. A cup winning legend, I’d take him back in a minute.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Dylan was a class act who was an integral part of the best midfield to play for Hibs for years. His ability to find space and make a pass was outstanding. A cup winning legend, I’d take him back in a minute.

Yip, i'd even say our midfield were the best in the country last season. :top marks

jacomo
17-05-2019, 06:46 AM
His last season at the club was superb, he retains the ball in tight situations, he does not panic. He takes the ball from the defenders, feeds the other midfielders and helped that team go forward that scored lots of goals.

The guy was class for us, i'm not surprised some didnt rate him, as some of our fans wouldn't know a good player if one bit them on the nose.

There are even some who don't rate Scott Allan, and remember what a bomb scare Efe was? :confused:

:agree:

And this is what makes good Hibs teams tick.

jeffers
17-05-2019, 06:52 AM
It's more of a myth that his passes were all backwards and sideways.

I don't understand the "he chose not to" comment either. With respect the guys a professional footballer who has a far higher understanding of the game than yourself , if he wasn't trying to play a holywood ball at times there was probably a good reason for it ie it was more sensible to retain possession.

He is one of the best midfield players we have had in the last 10 years.

We can agree to disagree re the passing backwards and sideways.

And with respect the old I don’t know what I’m talking about because I’m not a professional footballer line. Gong by that logic the majority of us shouldn’t post our opinions on here because we were never professional footballers. Who mentioned a Hollywood ball ? My issue with McGeouch was never lack ability he clearly had it, but he chose more often than not to take the easy option. Aberdeen SC semi, two games against Hearts at ER last season he showed what he could do when he showed more ambition with the ball.

In your opinion he is, in mine SJM and Scott Allan are far better players, match winners. Interesting to me that SJM is player of the season at AV and has a good chance of playing in the Premiership next season while McGeouch doesn’t even make the bench latterly in the third tier.

jeffers
17-05-2019, 06:54 AM

You are correct I even remember reading on here how we wouldn’t miss him this season.

Since90+2
17-05-2019, 06:56 AM
We can agree to disagree re the passing backwards and sideways.

And with respect the old I don’t know what I’m talking about because I’m not a professional footballer line. Gong by that logic the majority of us shouldn’t post our opinions on here because we were never professional footballers. Who mentioned a Hollywood ball ? My issue with McGeouch was never lack ability he clearly had it, but he chose more often than not to take the easy option. Aberdeen SC semi, two games against Hearts at ER last season he showed what he could do when he showed more ambition with the ball.

In your opinion he is, in mine SJM and Scott Allan are far better players, match winners. Interesting to me that SJM is player of the season at AV and has a good chance of playing in the Premiership next season while McGeouch doesn’t even make the bench latterly in the third tier.

Thankfully your opinion is very much in the minority and the majority of Hibs fans recognise the fantastic player he is.

Smartie
17-05-2019, 06:59 AM
The likes of McGeouch are often the difference between being a Hibs team and a Hearts team.

I'll watch McGeouch taking the ball off the defence and moving it on in whichever direction he fancies - BUT KEEPING POSSESSION -before I'd want us cutting the man out and lumping it straight up the park and scrap for 2nd balls.

I watch a lot of games and think that what is really lacking is a Dylan McGeouch in order to turn it into a football game.

J-C
17-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Milligan tries to do what Dylan did but just not as well, Dylan has composure, strength, guile and an ability to keep the ball moving when in tight situations. He allowed SJM and Allan to do what they did best in our team last season, he also disproved the myth that a DM needs to be an enforcer type player.

Smartie
17-05-2019, 07:07 AM
Milligan tries to do what Dylan did but just not as well, Dylan has composure, strength, guile and an ability to keep the ball moving when in tight situations. He allowed SJM and Allan to do what they did best in our team last season, he also disproved the myth that a DM needs to be an enforcer type player.

I agree - and in fairness to Milligan, I think he'd do a better job of it in a team with SJM, Allan and Boyle in it.

stoneyburn hibs
17-05-2019, 07:11 AM

Correct and if we had a sniff of a chance to get him back, then we really should.

jeffers
17-05-2019, 07:27 AM

McGeouch is far better than Milligan and if it was a choice between the two I’d take McGeouch every day of the week. I’d disagree though that McGeouch was a defensive midfielder (I’m assuming that was what your DM referrred to) for me Bartley was more a defensive midfielder than McGeouch but as they tended to play in the same part of the field it rarely worked when they were in the same team.

Stonewall
17-05-2019, 07:39 AM
McGeouch is far better than Milligan and if it was a choice between the two I’d take McGeouch every day of the week. I’d disagree though that McGeouch was a defensive midfielder (I’m assuming that was what your DM referrred to) for me Bartley was more a defensive midfielder than McGeouch but as they tended to play in the same part of the field it rarely worked when they were in the same team.

Surely this is all about getting a blend of skills and attributes in the team. Last season’s midfield was superb but they all had weaknesses (eg SJMs slightly suspect touch) but it worked. As for McGeouch surely the trick is knowing when to drive the team forward and when to play the percentages. I think he did it very very well last season. Even Messi sometimes plays safe.

jeffers
17-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Surely this is all about getting a blend of skills and attributes in the team. Last season’s midfield was superb but they all had weaknesses (eg SJMs slightly suspect touch) but it worked. As for McGeouch surely the trick is knowing when to drive the team forward and when to play the percentages. I think he did it very very well last season. Even Messi sometimes plays safe.

I agree with that in terms of a balance in the side is required and I’m sure if we went through the current squad we’d find a weakness in every one of them. I don’t have an issue with a player retaining possession or indeed a backwards or sideways pass when it’s required, but I felt McGeouch did it more than he needed to. When Bartley did that I understood why, he wasn’t the silkiest Of players but McGeouch has ability to play that pass. I felt his best performances were when he pushed himself further up the field. I want my deep midfielder to provide the defence with cover similar to the role Scott Brown performs.

J-C
17-05-2019, 08:04 AM

Maybe not a true DM but he did play a lot deeper than the other 2 mids, more if a deep playmaker role, I likened him at times on here as a quarterback from US football.

Smartie
17-05-2019, 08:13 AM
I agree with that in terms of a balance in the side is required and I’m sure if we went through the current squad we’d find a weakness in every one of them. I don’t have an issue with a player retaining possession or indeed a backwards or sideways pass when it’s required, but I felt McGeouch did it more than he needed to. When Bartley did that I understood why, he wasn’t the silkiest Of players but McGeouch has ability to play that pass. I felt his best performances were when he pushed himself further up the field. I want my deep midfielder to provide the defence with cover similar to the role Scott Brown performs.

I think this is a fair criticism in all honesty.

As a player, he did err on the side of caution and in his case it's not that he doesn't have the ability to go forward - he clearly does.

FWIW I think this is the biggest problem the Sunderland fans have with him - that he's too safe. They enjoy a more direct approach down there.

Ozyhibby
17-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Can’t believe there are people who would prefer Milligan over McGeough. I know it’s all about opinions but that’s just crazy. [emoji15]

jeffers
17-05-2019, 08:27 AM
I think this is a fair criticism in all honesty.

As a player, he did err on the side of caution and in his case it's not that he doesn't have the ability to go forward - he clearly does.

FWIW I think this is the biggest problem the Sunderland fans have with him - that he's too safe. They enjoy a more direct approach down there.

That’s been my problem with him all along, he has quick feet, good control, can go past a man and can pick a pass. He just doesn’t do that anywhere enough for my liking.

When i read comments earlier in the season they echoed what you’ve said and I wasn’t surprised at them. The difference is I’ve seen what he could do if he was braver for want of a better word and they probably haven’t .

jeffers
17-05-2019, 08:31 AM
Can’t believe there are people who would prefer Milligan over McGeough. I know it’s all about opinions but that’s just crazy. [emoji15]

I thought it was the opposite they’d prefer McGeouch over Milligan. I’ve no idea if there is anything to us wanting to bring McGeouch back but unless Hecky decides Milligan is surplus to requirements I can’t see how they could play in the same team together.

Stuart93
17-05-2019, 08:56 AM
I thought it was the opposite they’d prefer McGeouch over Milligan. I’ve no idea if there is anything to us wanting to bring McGeouch back but unless Hecky decides Milligan is surplus to requirements I can’t see how they could play in the same team together.

They wouldn’t, you’d drop Milligan to the bench and put mcgeouch in the starting 11.

I think people are seriously forgetting how good mcgeouch was last season

Hibbyradge
17-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Thankfully your opinion is very much in the minority and the majority of Hibs fans recognise the fantastic player he is.

Thankfully? :confused:

Alex Trager
17-05-2019, 09:20 AM
I am surprised at the amount of folk that seem to be super keen to drop Mallan out of the fray.

Our top goal scorer - i think, if not he will be up there - and assister this season and folk are chucking him out of the team.

For all of their qualities, Mallan has probably scored more than all three of our midfielders combined did last season.

Each has their own game and qualities but to think Mallan would be dropped is crazy.

He is a young player that has improved since joining and will continue to do so.

The last midfielder to score 10+ goals for us?

The Green Goblin
17-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Absolutely this. Class player. Would love him back.

matty_f
17-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Absolutely this. Class player. Would love him back.

McGeouch was one of the best we've had at dictating the pace of a game, he was brilliant at knowing when to hold onto the ball and when to move it quickly.

WeeRussell
17-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Depends what you mean by 'one of'. He wasn't the best midfielder at the club during his time here for me (both McGinn and Allan were superior) but is still a very good footballer.

Interesting how quick so many were to stick the boot into Fyvie's contribution for us but some are being lambasted on here for suggesting Dylan isn't everything that others think he was/is.

It's also interesting to see the stark contrast in Milligan opinions compared to after he had played less than a game for us. :greengrin

Dylan is cracking player who I don't think we'll see back this summer. We're getting a better player in Scott Allan. Simple as that.

bigwheel
17-05-2019, 12:10 PM
Depends what you mean by 'one of'. He wasn't the best midfielder at the club during his time here for me (both McGinn and Allan were superior) but is still a very good footballer.

Interesting how quick so many were to stick the boot into Fyvie's contribution for us but some are being lambasted on here for suggesting Dylan isn't everything that others think he was/is.

It's also interesting to see the stark contrast in Milligan opinions compared to after he had played less than a game for us. :greengrin

Dylan is cracking player who I don't think we'll see back this summer. We're getting a better player in Scott Allan. Simple as that.

It’s not that simple though is it. Firstly, they (Allan and Dylan) play completely different roles, so compliment each other - Dylan was our POY in his last season - with McGinn also in the same side..all these three are players that can add a lot to our team

WeeRussell
17-05-2019, 12:27 PM
It’s not that simple though is it. Firstly, they (Allan and Dylan) play completely different roles, so compliment each other - Dylan was our POY in his last season - with McGinn also in the same side..all these three are players that can add a lot to our team

I agree largely with you - to be honest the "simple" comment was just in retort to the quoted post using the same phrase :greengrin

I do however think the whole "totally different players" thing is used too much, even when the statement is true. You can still compare players just because they don't play exactly the same way. (e.g. Sauzee was better than Fyssas)

You're bang-on that all 3 of them would add a lot to our midfield and team. I just happen to think Allan offers a lot more than Dylan did or would.

Tyler Durden
17-05-2019, 12:27 PM
I agree - and in fairness to Milligan, I think he'd do a better job of it in a team with SJM, Allan and Boyle in it.

Most players would.

I was initially sceptical of Milligan but he did have an excellent few months. He has then struggled a bit more recently as we've played the better sides. IMO there are a number of reasons for that. He doesn't have a great first touch, he doesn't have a huge range of passing and he's not particularly quick. The game at Ibrox was a prime example where he knows his own limitations and that leads to lots of passes back to the CBs or goalie. He does read the game well but against the better sides, he's not going to excel.

We can do a lot better than Milligan IMO. If that is Dylan McGeouch, then great. But I think we'll probably be looking for someone with more energy and legs than both. Someone combative and quick who can sit behind Mallan and Allan and do all the dirty work. If we have pace on the wings with Boyle and another (maybe Horgan) then we can definitely fit both Mallan and Allan into the midfield 3 together.

If we managed to get McGeouch and an energetic defensive midfielder we'll really have fantastic options. Ideally we can move Milligan and Slivka on.

bigwheel
17-05-2019, 12:29 PM
I agree largely with you - to be honest the "simple" comment was just in retort to the quoted post using the same phrase :greengrin

I do however think the whole "totally different players" thing is used too much, even when the statement is true. You can still compare players just because they don't play exactly the same way. (e.g. Sauzee was better than Fyssas)

You're bang-on that all 3 of them would add a lot to our midfield and team. I just happen to think Allan offers a lot more than Dylan did or would.

That’s fair...There are few Allan’s around. If he performs, he’ll be a great addition next season

Ozyhibby
17-05-2019, 12:51 PM
Most players would.

I was initially sceptical of Milligan but he did have an excellent few months. He has then struggled a bit more recently as we've played the better sides. IMO there are a number of reasons for that. He doesn't have a great first touch, he doesn't have a huge range of passing and he's not particularly quick. The game at Ibrox was a prime example where he knows his own limitations and that leads to lots of passes back to the CBs or goalie. He does read the game well but against the better sides, he's not going to excel.

We can do a lot better than Milligan IMO. If that is Dylan McGeouch, then great. But I think we'll probably be looking for someone with more energy and legs than both. Someone combative and quick who can sit behind Mallan and Allan and do all the dirty work. If we have pace on the wings with Boyle and another (maybe Horgan) then we can definitely fit both Mallan and Allan into the midfield 3 together.

If we managed to get McGeouch and an energetic defensive midfielder we'll really have fantastic options. Ideally we can move Milligan and Slivka on.

He also sits way to far back, practically on top of Hanlon and McGregor. We really need better than Milligan.

AlbertK86
17-05-2019, 02:17 PM
I am surprised at the amount of folk that seem to be super keen to drop Mallan out of the fray.

Our top goal scorer - i think, if not he will be up there - and assister this season and folk are chucking him out of the team.

For all of their qualities, Mallan has probably scored more than all three of our midfielders combined did last season.

Each has their own game and qualities but to think Mallan would be dropped is crazy.

He is a young player that has improved since joining and will continue to do so.

The last midfielder to score 10+ goals for us?

Absolutely spot on.

All very well dropping him but who is going to score the goals he has provided.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

judas
17-05-2019, 07:00 PM
So. Is Dylan coming back?

If so, small retainer and big pay per play please.

FRes Hibbie
17-05-2019, 09:15 PM

Nowhere near enough scrutiny on this.

From the cringey writing style, as if the OP is trialling for match or shoot magazines, to fabricating a horrendous nickname. This post is total bollocks.

MWHIBBIES
17-05-2019, 10:47 PM

Those deals are a myth in real football. No player is risking being homeless if some thug breaks his leg. Dylan plays plenty games, alot more than Gray did last season and no one said this about him.

judas
18-05-2019, 05:16 AM
Those deals are a myth in real football. No player is risking being homeless if some thug breaks his leg. Dylan plays plenty games, alot more than Gray did last season and no one said this about him.

Fair point and largely agree.

Have to say though that players seem to show up far more toward the end of their contract. A point epitomised by Dylan and I do worry that we could see him on the treatment table a lot.

Rattler
18-05-2019, 06:48 AM

I fairly positive that there is nothing concrete in the OP’s comments. I’d suggest that it’s a hypothetical scenario and has generated some interesting comments and discussion on here about other players. 😉

MWHIBBIES
18-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Fair point and largely agree.

Have to say though that players seem to show up far more toward the end of their contract. A point epitomised by Dylan and I do worry that we could see him on the treatment table a lot.

Or the manager changed, training changed, he saw a specialist and actually, it was nothing to do with him showing up for a big move.

oldbutdim
18-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Nowhere near enough scrutiny on this.

From the cringey writing style, as if the OP is trialling for match or shoot magazines, to fabricating a horrendous nickname. This post is total bollocks.

I thought it was really weird too.
It’s as if a Martian has written it for a laugh then run it through Google Translate.

WeeRussell
18-05-2019, 09:04 AM

1 bad injury over one season doesn’t make you injury prone. That’s not me saying Dylan doesn’t play enough games now, just that the comparison isn’t really sound.

MWHIBBIES
18-05-2019, 09:06 AM
1 bad injury over one season doesn’t make you injury prone. That’s not me saying Dylan doesn’t play enough games now, just that the comparison isn’t really sound.

No but Gray has missed chunks of this year too

Rattler
18-05-2019, 09:46 AM
I thought it was really weird too.
It’s as if a Martian has written it for a laugh then run it through Google Translate.

Why don’t we just give the OP a break as you’ll see from their post history. Not everyone is perfect writing their first thread 👍🏻

Greenworld
18-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Completely agree.They are different sort of players so I don't know how you compare .....both would fit brilliantly in our midfield ...omegona is exceptional how we managed to get him I've no idea

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

oldbutdim
18-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Why don’t we just give the OP a break as you’ll see from their post history. Not everyone is perfect writing their first thread 👍🏻

Fair enough.

I read the thread on my phone and have no idea of 'post history' so I apologise and withdraw my allegation that he's a Martian.
I'm also prepared to admit that neither my first thread, nor any since could be classified as perfect.

:aok:

RossScott1991
18-05-2019, 11:03 AM
If you check out Hibs Club Twitter they have put up some points made in a Q&A with PH and RS. Confirmed Mcgeough has been discussed. Can’t post link on here but check out their twitter you will see.

pacoluna
18-05-2019, 02:05 PM
Rather omeonga, younger, hungrier and isn't as Injury prone.

Pedantic_Hibee
18-05-2019, 02:28 PM
McGeouch is different class. The end.

Borderhibbie76
18-05-2019, 03:52 PM
Rather omeonga, younger, hungrier and isn't as Injury prone.Dylan over Omeonga every single day of the week for me...the boy is a level above Omeonga imo though I'd be happy to have both

pacoluna
18-05-2019, 03:55 PM
Dylan over Omeonga every single day of the week for me...the boy is a level above Omeonga imo though I'd be happy to have both

He's sat on the bench for Coventry and Sunderland in league 1, certainly not a level above.

we are hibs
18-05-2019, 03:57 PM
If you check out Hibs Club Twitter they have put up some points made in a Q&A with PH and RS. Confirmed Mcgeough has been discussed. Can’t post link on here but check out their twitter you will see.

Seems a few went early in having a go at the OP.

MrRobot
18-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Rather omeonga, younger, hungrier and isn't as Injury prone.

Is it between the two or can we not have both?

erin go bragh
18-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Is it between the two or can we not have both?

Would love both tbh . Totally different players imo .

Ozyhibby
18-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Would love both tbh . Totally different players imo .

Very much different players. If McGeogh came back it would be for Milligan. Looks like Heckingbottom has come to the same conclusion as me that Milligan is not good enough. [emoji6]

DickEDastardly
18-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Met Dylan last night in Newcastle. He was cagey about what his future holds at Sunderland and didn’t seem happy about things - but he just laughed when I asked if he’d come back to Hibs. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190518/1f88100b0254aec1928aa14de34f0f81.jpg

MWHIBBIES
18-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Very much different players. If McGeogh came back it would be for Milligan. Looks like Heckingbottom has come to the same conclusion as me that Milligan is not good enough. [emoji6]

Not just a broken record, also a broken clock

Greenbeard
19-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Not just a broken record, also a broken clock
Clock? Is there an extraneous L in clock?
I know he's injury prone but.........

HibeeJude
19-05-2019, 12:40 PM
This entire forum desperate to keep him for the fortnight where Dylan’s future was undecided but he’s now not good enough for a team far worse than the one he starred in last season?