PDA

View Full Version : Si ferry

Squealing pig
13-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Interview up with Steven fletcher definitely worth a watch a lot of hibs content speaks well about us

Danderhall Hibs
13-05-2019, 07:41 PM
Uhh huh u huh

Was the banter good? He’s some boy eh?

bingo70
13-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Really like his podcasts but stopped listening to them recently as they’ve all been a bit old firm focused.

Will give this one a listen though.

04Sauzee
13-05-2019, 07:44 PM
His interviews can be OK. Tried to listen to his podcast he does with Kevin Kyle and had to give up after 10 minutes utter nonsense and dross

Unseen work
13-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Uhh huh u huh

Any characters?

Any Graveson stories?

(Speaks about what they done as youth players) you hink that’s missing today?

bingo70
13-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Any characters?

Any Graveson stories?

I know it’s the same questions with most guests but imo the format of it works.

Find the answers to the questions you’ve mentioned quite interesting. At least he shuts up, listens to the answers and engages in conversation with them after he’s got their answer.

Hear quite a lot of amateur pundits asking questions now and the questions take longer to ask than the answer given.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 08:04 PM
How did you get on with Craig Levein? 😂

Squealing pig
13-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Was a really good listen , I like all his interviews

The 90+2
13-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Si Ferry is a pleb interviewing footballers. He’s good at it and fair play to him. Would you rather a “football memory bank with Steven Thompson”?

Pretty Boy
13-05-2019, 08:14 PM
I don't mind Si Ferry. He's a bit samey and his attempts to be one of the lads is a bit cringe but he let's people speak and usually gets an interesting story or 2 because of that.

sixtwo
13-05-2019, 08:35 PM
I don't mind Si Ferry. He's a bit samey and his attempts to be one of the lads is a bit cringe but he let's people speak and usually gets an interesting story or 2 because of that.

He is one of the lads. He is a pro player who is mates with loads of the guys he interviews. His banter is very decent! Clobber not so much!

HAZ2000
13-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Uhh huh u huh

The uhh huh after every question ruins them for me

Winston Ingram
13-05-2019, 09:07 PM
The Open Goal podcasts are absolutely superb.

The interviews are approached at completely different angle than the mainstream broadcasters do.

Unseen work
13-05-2019, 09:17 PM
I’m all seriousness i do really enjoy the interviews and the podcasts.

Give you a real insight to what actually goes on behind the scenes and some of their attitudes

The Hartley one was incredible hearing just how much the Hearts players were earning.

The boy Slaney is absolutely brilliant, what a laugh he is.

Danderhall Hibs
13-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Any characters?

Any Graveson stories?

:hilarious did they make you clean the boots aye? Uh huh.

Frazerbob
13-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Really enjoyed that. Some great stories and he speaks very well. Disappointed that there was basically no Scotland chat. Wanted to hear about the Levein fall out. He didn’t exactly sound desperate to play for Scotland again.

Since90+2
14-05-2019, 05:22 AM
Fair to play to the guy. Decent career as a player and now is making money from talking to current and ex pros about their time in the game.

A job almost all of us would love to do.

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2019, 06:46 AM
SPOILER ALERT!

Cannot believe he was spotted at the side of the pitch at a HIBS trial game and was asked to go on after confirming his age and scored a hatrick. :confused:

The rest as they say is history :greengrin

Well worth a watch

Nicho87
14-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Just shows you back then when Collins was trying to bring in the professional fitness aspect he was ridiculed by players and fans. A player who has played at the highest level. Seems crazy players moaning about training before kicking a ball.

bigwheel
14-05-2019, 07:16 AM
Just shows you back then when Collins was trying to bring in the professional fitness aspect he was ridiculed by players and fans. A player who has played at the highest level. Seems crazy players moaning about training before kicking a ball.

That’s true ...although if you are changing behaviours you need to also get people to understand why it is a good thing to do ..you never get the sense that Collins would be good at getting people Onside ...

His ideas were right though - perhaps why he would be better being a number 2 than a number one ...

calumhibee1
14-05-2019, 07:16 AM
Any characters?

Any Graveson stories?

How wur the older boys wi ye?

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2019, 07:32 AM
How wur the older boys wi ye?

SPOILER ALERT!

GOC: “Fletch sit here!”

GOC: “How does it feel sitting beside a 1m footballer?”

😂

The 90+2
14-05-2019, 07:46 AM
That’s true ...although if you are changing behaviours you need to also get people to understand why it is a good thing to do ..you never get the sense that Collins would be good at getting people Onside ...

His ideas were right though - perhaps why he would be better being a number 2 than a number one ...

He hardly set the world alight as number 2 at Celtic.

Winston Ingram
14-05-2019, 07:54 AM

For all that's come out about Collins methods of getting people 'onside' it's no surprise he failed.

GOC, Tam McManus, Fletcher, Riordan are just a few that have come out and slaughtered him. I've spoken to coaching staff who were at the club at the time as well who can barely talk about it without bursting into fits of laughter.

superfurryhibby
14-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Ferry does what he does well. Aye, it can be a bit cringey and all the rest, but he gets the players to speak in a way that you’re not going to see on the BBC and I don’t mean just the swearing.

Easy to mock, much harder to achieve. Just like being a footballer, eh clever dicks!

bigwheel
14-05-2019, 07:57 AM
For all that's come out about Collins methods of getting people 'onside' it's no surprise he failed.

GOC, Tam McManus, Fletcher, Riordan are just a few that have come out and slaughtered him. I've spoken to coaching staff who were at the club at the time as well who can barely talk about it without bursting into fits of laughter.

Only Fletcher out of that group had their head screwed on and made the most of their career...it is as you imply that Collins was very poor communicator and people manager ..equally though, Fletcher is clear on this interview that Collins methods are now standard - little doubt that his thinking was good ...

oldbutdim
14-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Fair to play to the guy. Decent career as a player and now is making money from talking to current and ex pros about their time in the game.

A job almost all of us would love to do.

I'm afraid I took a bit of a dislike to him when he sent sleazy videos of himself to a stranger. Would have been worse if he'd sent them to me, but it was another stranger.
His hilarious video of him gobbing on the back of a rickshaw driver's head sort of finished the job.
Great footballer, but a bit of a twat.

er..................... I mean Fletch, not the boy Ferry.

Since452
14-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Better interviewer than footballer thats for sure

jeffers
14-05-2019, 08:12 AM
It's not serious journalism and while he pretty much asks the same questions I like to hear them answered and have enjoyed every one he has done. I thought Fletcher came across well, but as others have said I would have liked to hear about Scotland/Levein, but I'm guessing it was agreed beforehand not to bring it up.

Gloucester Hibs
14-05-2019, 09:17 AM
His hilarious video of him gobbing on the back of a rickshaw driver's head sort of finished the job.

Aye, absolute ****bag behaviour that was. Completely indefensible.

Steve20
14-05-2019, 10:23 AM
I like the Ferry interviews he does. Don't listen to any Hearts ones though.

As for Fletcher, meh. He speaks well enough about his time with us, although wasn't impressed with how much he was clearly wanted to leave - "Chairman said I could leave in the summer, so happy days".

Hibeesmad
14-05-2019, 10:34 AM
John Park must of made the club a fortune

SquashedFrogg
14-05-2019, 10:39 AM
I like the Ferry interviews he does. Don't listen to any Hearts ones though.

As for Fletcher, meh. He speaks well enough about his time with us, although wasn't impressed with how much he was clearly wanted to leave - "Chairman said I could leave in the summer, so happy days".

He spoke well about time at us. In context he wad ready for a move.

The 90+2
14-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Riordan and GOC where gone by the time he came in tbf.

Gaffer1875
14-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Love his interviews and listen to them all, including the hearts ones. Tin hat on but Gary lockes interview was decent. Best have been GOC, McCoist and McGeady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
14-05-2019, 12:24 PM
Love his interviews and listen to them all, including the hearts ones. Tin hat on but Gary lockes interview was decent. Best have been GOC, McCoist and McGeady

Gary Locke comes across decent in his interview tbh.

JimBHibees
14-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Fletch one was really good, some good Hibs stories in there. Has had a very decent career.

RoxburghHibs
14-05-2019, 02:48 PM
I'm afraid I took a bit of a dislike to him when he sent sleazy videos of himself to a stranger. Would have been worse if he'd sent them to me, but it was another stranger.

What's this all about?

DetroitHibs
14-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Love listening to the Si Ferry podcast, usually a great listen with some funny stories. Another one I started listening to is, Under the Cosh. Jon Parkin does it and its top notch too. Was pissing myself st some of the Dean Windass stories, especially about marking Gazza at a corner.

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2019, 07:48 AM
“Happy days!” :greengrin

oldbutdim
15-05-2019, 08:56 AM
What's this all about?

That refers to when Fletcher sent sleazy pictures and videos to a stranger, and spat on a rickshaw driver for a laugh.

:confused:

Bob1875
15-05-2019, 11:01 AM

Fletcher said in the interview that Collins was trying to implement methods that are routinely used nowadays? But back then players weren’t buying it. So hows it a surprise he failed? It actually proves him right in what he was trying to do.

SquashedFrogg
15-05-2019, 11:19 AM
That refers to when Fletcher sent sleazy pictures and videos to a stranger, and spat on a rickshaw driver for a laugh.

:confused:

Ach, we've all done that at some point...

mjhibby
18-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Aye, absolute ****bag behaviour that was. Completely indefensible.

Maybe so but he just sounded like a kid who can't believe he has had such a life from football. Gave decent answers re Hibs and sounded like someone who just wanted to play football and avoid the politics. He's a very wealthy guy and good luck to him. Pity Gaz and deek weren't as lucky/sensible as him.

TelaStella
18-05-2019, 06:17 PM
His interviews can be OK. Tried to listen to his podcast he does with Kevin Kyle and had to give up after 10 minutes utter nonsense and dross

Just won the best football podcast of the year and rightly so. The Keeping the Ball on the Ground with Kev Kyle and Paul Slane is some of the best stuff I’ve heard in a long time imo miles ahead of things like Off the Ball or Only an Excuse and still able to keep a semi serious aspect to the topic of conversation. The boy Slaney is absolutely superb as well.

Hibs90
18-05-2019, 06:24 PM
I watched his interview, and I sort of soured on him a bit. Fletch that is.

Tyler Durden
18-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Fletcher said in the interview that Collins was trying to implement methods that are routinely used nowadays? But back then players weren’t buying it. So hows it a surprise he failed? It actually proves him right in what he was trying to do.

The post you quoted talked about Collins ability/methods to get the players to buy in to the fitness and training regime. I don’t think many would disagree that he was trying to implement the right standards but if you can’t convince the players then you’ve failed.

There’s loads of stories about how he talked to the squad and most of them didn’t take to him. You can slag the players for being short sighted or lazy but the manager needs to get them invested in what he’s doing. Collins couldn’t manage the people side of it.

patlowe
18-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Fletcher comes across OK and has some good insights but the main thing I took out of the interview is that he has no qualms about seeking an exit from clubs at the first opportunity he gets. Which he is perfectly entitled to do by the way.

Very good player who I feel got lost somewhere between a clever link up forward and a big target man, without nailing down either of those roles. Add in the injuries and the fact that he wasn't a prolific scorer and you can see why he was a bit underrated despite easily being Scotland's most technically gifted and intelligent striker in recent years. But a good career all the same.

Danderhall Hibs
18-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Fletcher comes across OK and has some good insights but the main thing I took out of the interview is that he has no qualms about seeking an exit from clubs at the first opportunity he gets. Which he is perfectly entitled to do by the way.

Very good player who I feel got lost somewhere between a clever link up forward and a big target man, without nailing down either of those roles. Add in the injuries and the fact that he wasn't a prolific scorer and you can see why he was a bit underrated despite easily being Scotland's most technically gifted and intelligent striker in recent years. But a good career all the same.

:agree: I know a guy that’s a Sheffield Wednesday fan and he thinks Fletcher’s crap. I’ve said to him the same: when he left Scotland he was a talented forward that scored great goals and since going down there he’s been turned into some kind of target man.

Interview was decent though uh huh.

calumhibee1
18-05-2019, 08:13 PM

Absolutely. I’ve said about Fletcher that he almost doesn’t fit into any position on the pitch. He can’t play out wide because he’s painfully slow, he doesn’t really look threatening enough to be a good striker and he’d be wasted as a number 10 because his best attribute is being decent in the air. But at the same time he’s still a decent player.

Billy Whizz
18-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Absolutely. I’ve said about Fletcher that he almost doesn’t fit into any position on the pitch. He can’t play out wide because he’s painfully slow, he doesn’t really look threatening enough to be a good striker and he’d be wasted as a number 10 because his best attribute is being decent in the air. But at the same time he’s still a decent player.

He started playing at Hibs as an attacking left midfielder

The 90+2
18-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Fletch should be played in off the left lways. He’s a great lad also. Loves Hibs.

calumhibee1
18-05-2019, 08:21 PM
He started playing at Hibs as an attacking left midfielder

Yup. But he wouldn’t be playing in that position now, at least not at any decent standard.

JimBHibees
18-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Yup. But he wouldn’t be playing in that position now, at least not at any decent standard.

He would rip up the spfl as a striker.

calumhibee1
18-05-2019, 08:42 PM
He would rip up the spfl as a striker.

If we're talking about goals then I'm not so sure. He's never had anything better than a decent scoring record anywhere he's been . All round game then he would probably do quite well. I'm not sure I'd say he'd rip it up though. He'd maybe be similar to what Naismith has been at Hearts.

Billy Whizz
18-05-2019, 08:43 PM

Always thought he was better running from a deep position, when he was younger

JimBHibees
18-05-2019, 08:43 PM
If we're talking about goals then I'm not so sure. He's never had anything better than a decent scoring record anywhere he's been . All round game then he would probably do quite well. I'm not sure I'd say he'd rip it up though. He'd maybe be similar to what Naismith has been at Hearts.

If he kept fit he would score over 20 but also a good target man and good at bringing others into play.

calumhibee1
18-05-2019, 08:54 PM
If he kept fit he would score over 20 but also a good target man and good at bringing others into play.

I agree with the second part, not so sure about the first part. He's never came close to getting 20 in a season, even when he was up here earlier in his career. This season he has 8. It's his second best return goals wise in the last 7 years. His best in that period was 11.

I just always felt he wasn't threatening enough as a striker. His goals tally near enough every season of his career has been poor-average.

JimBHibees
18-05-2019, 10:00 PM
I agree with the second part, not so sure about the first part. He's never came close to getting 20 in a season, even when he was up here earlier in his career. This season he has 8. It's his second best return goals wise in the last 7 years. His best in that period was 11.

I just always felt he wasn't threatening enough as a striker. His goals tally near enough every season of his career has been poor-average.

He scored 8 this season despite missing half the season and playing at a higher level.

calumhibee1
18-05-2019, 10:08 PM
He scored 8 this season despite missing half the season and playing at a higher level.

He’s made 37 appearances from 49 games this season, over 3 quarters of SW games.

Like I said, that’s also his best return for quite a while. I just don’t see him ever scoring 20 goals. He’s never had that in him and never really threatened to come close to doing it. I don’t see that changing at 32 but you never know.

FilipinoHibs
19-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Always thought he was better running from a deep position, when he was younger

When you had the legs. Great first touch. Great left foot. Good passer and target man. Good in the air.

Smartie
19-05-2019, 01:52 PM
I was never really convinced by Fletcher, either at Hibs, Scotland of his clubs down South.

Despite obvious deficiencies of character and player he's wrung a lot of cash out of his career.

Fair play to him, I doubt he cares what I think.