PDA

View Full Version : 10 in a row

Monts
13-05-2019, 12:41 PM
What would be the bigger achievement;

Celtic winning 10 titles in a row, or someone stopping them winning 10 titles in a row?

hfc rd
13-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Stopping them

Keith_M
13-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Stopping them

I hope that was intended as a joke.

1van Sprou7e
13-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Someone other than rangers stopping them would definitely be the biggest achievement. But 10 in a row would be a much bigger achievement than rangers winning it in the next two years

Bangkok Hibby
13-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Celtic winning 10 titles in a row, or someone stopping them winning 10 titles in a row?

4 of their 8 titles were won without their ugly sister in the league. So I would say stopping them winning 10 would be the bigger achievement.

Jones28
13-05-2019, 01:09 PM
A really small dirty part of my brain wants them not to do it, but that would in all likelihood mean the Huns winning it.

It's a **** scenario either way you look at it.

MWHIBBIES
13-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Kilmarnock finishing 3rd would be a bigger achievement than 10 in a row for Celtic

Monts
13-05-2019, 04:52 PM

Why?

Waxy
13-05-2019, 05:12 PM

It’s not an achievement. It would be if we played on a level playing field, but we dont.

The 90+2
13-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Stopping it would be massive.

Keith_M
13-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Why?

Any club winning the league title ten seasons on the trot is a massive achievement, much more so than winning it once.

The 90+2
13-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Any club winning the league title ten seasons on the trot is a massive achievement, much more so than winning it once.

When the club in question dwarfs the rest then no, it’s not.

Waxy
13-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Wonder how many titles Celtic or the Rangers would win if we all joined a UK league?
I’ll start with my guess.
In the next 100 years none of them would win any.

Diclonius
13-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Wonder how many titles Celtic or the Rangers would win if we all joined a UK league?
I’ll start with my guess.
In the next 100 years none of them would win any.

If we'd joined an all-UK league at the same time all the TV money came pumping in (early 90s?), Celtic/Rangers would probably have won at least a title each by now and us, the Hertz and Aberdeen would be lower PL/upper Championship nae bother.

Jones28
13-05-2019, 06:19 PM
If we'd joined an all-UK league at the same time all the TV money came pumping in (early 90s?), Celtic/Rangers would probably have won at least a title each by now and us, the Hertz and Aberdeen would be lower PL/upper Championship nae bother.

And none of us would ever see hide or tail of European football ever again.

The end.

The 90+2
13-05-2019, 06:31 PM

Tell that to Leeds Sheff Weds and Notts Forest supporters. It’s the luck of the draw and unless you’re mega rich then you could end up a Sunderland charlton or Portsmouth. Even Bradford got 20k plus in the epl before the serious money came in and look at them and Blackpool now

Waxy
13-05-2019, 07:02 PM

The end.
For how we do in it now, would it matter?

Sammy7nil
13-05-2019, 07:25 PM

The end.

Yip would really miss those clashes with the Faroe teams every six to ten years :wink:

The 90+2
13-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Yip would really miss those clashes with the Faroe teams every six to ten years :wink:

Fair point. We can dream of that though on our way back from travelling 500 miles on the coach to see us get pumped off Plymouth in a match to stay in British League 1.

jgl07
13-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Tell that to Leeds Sheff Weds and Notts Forest supporters. It’s the luck of the draw and unless you’re mega rich then you could end up a Sunderland charlton or Portsmouth. Even Bradford got 20k plus in the epl before the serious money came in and look at them and Blackpool now

Bournemouth seem to be doing reasonably well for a team with a 12,000 stadium. Swansea have a stadium very similar in capacity to Easter Road and have had a decent run in the EPL including one European campaign. There are plenty of well run clubs that are probably smaller than Hibs who have survived and prospered in the EPL including Burnley, Watford and (in the past) Fulham.

Do you think that Hibs are a smaller club than Swansea or Bournemouth?

I don't know what is more depressing: Being in a League where one team wins ten-in-a-row or one where two teams have dominated for 36 years?

Carheenlea
13-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Rangers or Celtic winning the league is the same thing to me really. Had 34 years of it and there are no signs that anything will change that any time soon.

Sammy7nil
13-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Fair point. We can dream of that though on our way back from travelling 500 miles on the coach to see us get pumped off Plymouth in a match to stay in British League 1.

European football and British league's are both of little or no interest to me.
When we played in Europe in the 70's and 80's we genuinely thought we had a chance of taking a couple of big scalps. Realistically we have very little chance now of ever making the group stages and if we did it would probably result in six losses and a really poor domestic league campaign.

As you point out regular travel to England and Wales would be just too much and many League two teams would have similar budgets to ours and it is possible we could drop down the leagues.

If an EPL game is on tv and St Mirren v Hamilton is on i tend to watch the Scottish game, quite happy where we are.

Jones28
13-05-2019, 07:55 PM
For how we do in it now, would it matter?

It would to me, I'd far rather play the odd tie against some random European side I've never heard of (and get beat) every few years than play the lower league sides in England. **** that.

Eyrie
13-05-2019, 07:56 PM
When the club in question dwarfs the rest then no, it’s not.

Agreed.

Winning ten in a row only proves a lack of competition in the league.

Waxy
13-05-2019, 08:01 PM
We have to win a marathon now just to make the group stages of the Europa. While the Priveliged teams start there. Footballs all beginning to go a bit panto.

Sammy7nil
13-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Agreed.

Winning ten in a row only proves a lack of competition in the league.

Agreed does anyone want to list the players Celtic and Rangers have taken from other Scottish teams to ensure there was little to no competition in those 34 years.

Monts
14-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Agreed does anyone want to list the players Celtic and Rangers have taken from other Scottish teams to ensure there was little to no competition in those 34 years.

Do you think competition would be better if there was a ban on buying players from the same league?

GreenCastle
14-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Scottish Football is a mess.

If you can’t see it you are delusional.

SFA - not fit for purpose - disband it and start a fresh. Leadership non existent / refs awful / national stadium farce.

Old Firm - league dominance / sectarian elements - needs sorted and a league with only 2 teams winning it will over time loose interest from other fans.

Scottish mens National Team - no Manager - average players - not qualified for a tournament since 1998 and won’t anytime soon.

Funds - lack of funds - awful TV deals. Women’s league in England getting more than Scottish League.

League structure - 12 teams and split is a farce. Larger league and play each other home and away only. Scrap the minimum x3 / x4 a season or even more games.

Lower league structure - farce teams like Bonnyrigg aren’t promoted / helped to improve structure - remember the 10,000 seater rule they had !

This country will never change till the start again with the national governing body. Disband the SFA as no one trusts it.

Dashing Bob S
14-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Stopping them unless its the huns. Then it would be a minor achievement bad not an earth shattering one.

Dashing Bob S
14-05-2019, 02:52 PM

SFA - not fit for purpose - disband it and start a fresh. Leadership non existent / refs awful / national stadium farce.

Old Firm - league dominance / sectarian elements - needs sorted and a league with only 2 teams winning it will over time loose interest from other fans.

Scottish mens National Team - no Manager - average players - not qualified for a tournament since 1998 and won’t anytime soon.

Funds - lack of funds - awful TV deals. Women’s league in England getting more than Scottish League.

League structure - 12 teams and split is a farce. Larger league and play each other home and away only. Scrap the minimum x3 / x4 a season or even more games.

Lower league structure - farce teams like Bonnyrigg aren’t promoted / helped to improve structure - remember the 10,000 seater rule they had !

This country will never change till the start again with the national governing body. Disband the SFA as no one trusts it.

This times 10 million

Since452
14-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Agree with everything you say but if Celtic and Rangers don't want it to change it wont.

Since452
14-05-2019, 02:58 PM

The end.

A couple of European ties every decade or so is what we get just now on average - if you take away the old Intertoto cup.

HoboHarry
14-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Been saying that for ages, too many vested interests and none of them can put those above the national interest.

Haymaker
14-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Bournemouth seem to be doing reasonably well for a team with a 12,000 stadium.

The billionaire owner subsidising them helps.

we are hibs
14-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Stopping them unless its the huns. Then it would be a minor achievement bad not an earth shattering one.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place. No one wants Celtic to win 10 in a row yet the only team who can realistically stop them is rangers who I dread of winning the league due to the fact their fans are **** and would rattle on about "55" forever and ever. Both set of fans are unbearable and both outcomes are unbearable.

Paisley Hibby
14-05-2019, 06:59 PM

You do know this is Hibs Net?

Eyrie
14-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Agree with everything you say but if Celtic and Rangers don't want it to change it wont.

Which is ridiculous if you think about it.

If the other clubs decided to change things to make it a more level playing field, then the Ugly Sisters could do SFA about it. But instead everyone runs scared of a pair of bigot bullies.

Monts
14-05-2019, 07:40 PM
You do know this is Hibs Net?

Yes

weecounty hibby
14-05-2019, 08:04 PM
And therein lies the problem. It's all about two clubs and they think things are fine. The only change they would go for is for the two of them moving to the English league

Smartie
14-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Stuck between a rock and a hard place. No one wants Celtic to win 10 in a row yet the only team who can realistically stop them is rangers who I dread of winning the league due to the fact their fans are **** and would rattle on about "55" forever and ever. Both set of fans are unbearable and both outcomes are unbearable.

10 in a row would be bearable, as the negative impact this would have on the huns would be the silveriest of silver linings.

55 would be un "bear" able, and hopefully they die again before that becomes possible.

Is It On....
14-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Nicely summarised..and pretty depressing. I just hope that Ernie Walkers Think Tank have a few good ideas 🙄

The 90+2
14-05-2019, 09:10 PM
European football and British league's are both of little or no interest to me.
When we played in Europe in the 70's and 80's we genuinely thought we had a chance of taking a couple of big scalps. Realistically we have very little chance now of ever making the group stages and if we did it would probably result in six losses and a really poor domestic league campaign.

As you point out regular travel to England and Wales would be just too much and many League two teams would have similar budgets to ours and it is possible we could drop down the leagues.

If an EPL game is on tv and St Mirren v Hamilton is on i tend to watch the Scottish game, quite happy where we are.

I’m completely the same mate.

Monts
15-05-2019, 11:17 AM
And therein lies the problem. It's all about two clubs and they think things are fine. The only change they would go for is for the two of them moving to the English league

I suppose it depends. If celtic continue to dominate, rangers might actually start looking at options that would make the league more competitive, giving them better chance of winning the league.

Diclonius
15-05-2019, 02:12 PM
I suppose it depends. If celtic continue to dominate, rangers might actually start looking at options that would make the league more competitive, giving them better chance of winning the league.

Like an 18 team league? There's no way TV companies would allow that to happen.

GreenCastle
15-05-2019, 06:48 PM

I said on another post recently.

All clubs should break away and start own league.

Old Firm would be screwed - no where to play.

If they wanted to play in Scotland they need to share TV revenue and agree to new conduct about sectarian singing for starters. Also only play each other twice a season. Not 4 due to TV deal.

The old firm need us more than they realise as England won’t take or need them.

GreenCastle
15-05-2019, 06:55 PM

That’s an issue too.

I know TV gives the money but the governing body needs to grow a backbone and figure out what’s best for everyone.

Monts
15-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Even if the product had gone stale due to Celtic winning everything? TV companies would benefit from spicing things up and aiding a challenge.

danhibees1875
15-05-2019, 07:54 PM

Is it just the TV companies though?

Celtic/rangers won't want to reduce their derbies. Hibs and hearts also.
The rest of the teams would be swapping the money from their second visits (as well as Hibs and hearts) for minimal number of fans/money they'll get if there's 6 more teams bringing 100/200 fans.

Jones28
15-05-2019, 07:58 PM

The rest of the teams would be swapping the money from their second visits (as well as Hibs and hearts) for minimal number of fans/money they'll get if there's 6 more teams bringing 100/200 fans.

I would rather take money off an extra 10 thousand plus old firm and Hearts fans than see a dribbling of Morton fans for example.

hfc rd
15-05-2019, 09:25 PM

Nope, I was being 100% serious.

Each season Celtic have won those 8 league titles pretty comfortably. It’s not like the title race has gone right down to the wire (like this season in the EPL) and someone other than Celtic could win it. They are the heavy favourites at the start of each season to win it and their resources & finances are far superior to anyone in Scotland to even compete with them over a course of a season.

That’s why someone stoping them winning 10 in a row would be a bigger achievement than them winning 10 titles in a row when it practically has their name on the trophy before a ball is even kicked.

SquashedFrogg
15-05-2019, 09:44 PM
Nope, I was being 100% serious.

Each season Celtic have won those 8 league titles pretty comfortably. It’s not like the title race has gone right down to the wire (like this season in the EPL) and someone other than Celtic could win it. They are the heavy favourites at the start of each season to win it and their resources & finances are far superior to anyone in Scotland to even compete with them over a course of a season.

That’s why someone stoping them winning 10 in a row would be a bigger achievement than them winning 10 titles in a row when it practically has their name on the trophy before a ball is even kicked.

So a team wining 1 in a row would be a bigger achievement than a team winning 10 in a row?

Eyrie
15-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Even if the product had gone stale due to Celtic winning everything? TV companies would benefit from spicing things up and aiding a challenge.

I don't think the TV companies would consider Hibs vs Partick a suitable replacement for two Edinburgh derbies, and they'd be even less happy at the viewing figures for Celtc vs Ayr or Sevco vs Morton compared to two Ugly Sisters games.

An 18 team league would see a massive drop in TV money, with what little was paid spread even more thinly because there are more teams. And with less money we'd end up competing for players with non-league teams in England.

sambajustice
15-05-2019, 10:27 PM
So a team wining 1 in a row would be a bigger achievement than a team winning 10 in a row?

I'd say probably yes when you look at it...

No team other than Celtic or Rangers have won the league since the 80's, so its the norm. They share 104 titles out of about what? 140ish?

Leicester winning one PL is a bigger achievement than Man City winning 2 on the bounce.

jacomo
15-05-2019, 10:39 PM

Yes, but you balance that against a potentially more exciting league that attracts more interest. Only playing each team twice should make it possible for a more competitive division. It’s not a straightforward calculation.

hfc rd
15-05-2019, 10:39 PM

Yes it would.

When you consider how strong Celtic are over everyone else in the league both on and off the pitch, it would be a big achievement if a team stopped them winning 10 in a row. As I said, when was the last time Celtic looked like they weren’t going to win the league? Probably Rangers pre-liquidation. Then again, those two had dominated the league since the end of the 80’s.

Just Jimmy
16-05-2019, 04:44 AM
Yes, but you balance that against a potentially more exciting league that attracts more interest. Only playing each team twice should make it possible for a more competitive division. It’s not a straightforward calculation.maybe eventually.

until that point how much money would be lost? it would take years if not decades to shift attitudes about our league being crap or a pub league.

in addition why would teams other than Celtic start winning the title?

I'm for it mainly because we have to try something. I'm just not sold it'll be as much of a utopia as every one makes out.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bangkok Hibby
16-05-2019, 05:31 AM

Definitely, as I said earlier 4 of their 8 didnt even have The Rangers in the league. They are so far ahead of everyone that they and everyone else expects them to win. So no big achievement. Another team stopping them would be.

danhibees1875
16-05-2019, 06:04 AM
Yes, but you balance that against a potentially more exciting league that attracts more interest. Only playing each team twice should make it possible for a more competitive division. It’s not a straightforward calculation.

I just don't think it would lead to more excitement or interest. There would be reduced crowds, reduced investment,a lower quality of player/football, and still have Rangers and Celtic running away with the leagues, IMO.

JXM73
16-05-2019, 06:19 AM
Maybe some one with bit more time on their hands can do a premier league table, removin results against the old firm.. we can crown the top of the 10 unofficial champions...

JXM73
16-05-2019, 06:45 AM
Maybe some one with bit more time on their hands can do a premier league table, removin results against the old firm.. we can crown the top of the 10 unofficial champions...

**** that, aberdeen are champions but we drop to 5th with a game in hand...

Aberdeen
Killie
St johnstone
Hearts
Hibs
Motherwell
Livi
Accies
St mirren
Dundee