PDA

View Full Version : Lennon

FilipinoHibs
12-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Gone after today. Tactical inadequacy shown again. Wind ups to Gers ahead of match classic pantomime. We are well shot.

BoomtownHibees
12-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Gone after today. Tactical inadequacy shown again. Wind ups to Gers ahead of match classic pantomime. We are well shot.

He won’t be gone before the end of the season. No chance of getting the job now though

FilipinoHibs
12-05-2019, 01:22 PM
He won’t be gone before the end of the season. No chance of getting the job now though

Yes agree. But no way is job his.

Since452
12-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Celtics problem now not ours. Thankfully.

vahibbie
12-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Yes agree. But no way is job his.

He'll no doubt have a good moan about his players not trying and how that's not acceptable for Celtic.
Meanwhile not accepting any blame for his own performance, poor coaching and lack of motivational skills. Never getting the job now.

HibeeHibernian4
12-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Maybe we can offer him the job again as so many posters were adamant he was the best manager we'd ever have.

Almost like he was carried off the back of Stubbs' midfield trio and only had 4 really good months at Hibs, isn't it?

Diclonius
12-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Kilmarnock bound when Clarke inevitably leaves is my bet.

Personally I don't care, as long as they win that ****ing final.

Keith_M
12-05-2019, 01:39 PM
I can't imagine he's very popular with Celtc Fans right now.

Bangkok Hibby
12-05-2019, 01:42 PM
I don't think he'll manage a club in Scotland again

Robbo6-2
12-05-2019, 01:44 PM
I don't think he'll manage a club in Scotland again

Who else would take him?

He should go on the after dinner circuit. Never a football manager

cleanyman
12-05-2019, 01:48 PM
We had some great times under Lenny

He is an excellent pundit and I hope he's back on the tv soon

JJP
12-05-2019, 01:52 PM
We had some great times during Lennons tenure as Hibs manager. Not sure where all the hate comes from.

Moulin Yarns
12-05-2019, 01:53 PM
We had some great times under Lenny

He is an excellent pundit and I hope he's back on the tv soon

So long as it's a subscription service where you have to pay for the Pearl of wisdoms he provides.

Forza Fred
12-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Can’t see him being kept on by struggling a Sellick and can’t see him being happy at another Scottish club.

Think if he wants to remain in management he will do so overseas, but struggle

He was good for us for a while, but absolutely collapsed in a heap after the Hearts loss and then was just short of a liability.

He must have been incredibly hard to manage, and I am relieved he moved on.

Having said all that, I wish him well

calumhibee1
12-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Maybe we can offer him the job again as so many posters were adamant he was the best manager we'd ever have.

Said so at the time but that was an absolutely mental suggestion :agree:

Smartie
12-05-2019, 01:57 PM
He only needs to beat a crap Hearts team at Hampden and he's managed to achieve exactly what he set out to.

They might have been poor today but the championship is in the bag.

We had good times with Lennon and I'm grateful for them. I'm somewhere between lukewarm and uninterested in Cltic whoever their manager is.

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 02:03 PM
He only needs to beat a crap Hearts team at Hampden and he's managed to achieve exactly what he set out to.

They might have been poor today but the championship is in the bag.

We had good times with Lennon and I'm grateful for them. I'm somewhere between lukewarm and uninterested in Cltic whoever their manager is.

:aok:

Dont really give a f#%k about Lennon or Celtic tbh

Ancient history

Steve20
12-05-2019, 02:56 PM
We had some great times during Lennons tenure as Hibs manager. Not sure where all the hate comes from.

It’s not hate. It’s people not being able to see how bad he was this season. He stumbled across a Championship that most people could have had wrapped up in about the January. He had a good first season back in the top league. This season he was awful for us.

I don’t hate Lennon. I hate Celtic though.

Hope they win the final.

heretoday
12-05-2019, 02:59 PM
What price are Hearts for the cup? May as well capitalise on the unthinkable.

Keith_M
12-05-2019, 03:04 PM
If Neil Lennon wants to restore his relationship with any Hibs Fans still miffed about his departure, or the latter part of his tenure at ER, all he needs to do to put things right* is win the Cup Final....preferably by a few goals.

* This is a light hearted post, please don't overreact.

Tarrahib
12-05-2019, 03:06 PM
He short changed Hibs since October 2018

BegbieHSC
12-05-2019, 03:38 PM
Loved Lenny when he was with us - was pissed when he left.

In retrospect, it definitely was for the best he left though.

Asides from our Europa League fixtures, and the December win over Celtic, he’s been totally out of sorts since the derby at Tynie last May.

No idea what’s happened. Can’t see him staying at Celtic, so I wish him all the best.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2019, 04:02 PM
I hope PH is as successful and hopefully even more successful as Lennon was at Hibs.

wookie70
12-05-2019, 04:06 PM
As long as he wins the cup. Last thing we need is him having a selection brain fart, as he often did in big games for us. Hearts are terrible and Lennon shouldn't be able to make Celtc bad enough on that big pitch not to win.

The 90+2
12-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Karma. It’s hard to get your mojo back when you down tools for 6 months in the previous job.

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 04:19 PM
I hope PH is as successful and hopefully even more successful as Lennon was at Hibs.

Hoping for better than a Championship and two failed semi finals

So even more successful please

Jim44
12-05-2019, 04:29 PM

Agree with the first statement. A bit of realistic observation might answer your second point, although I think ‘hate’ is a bit strong. For example, having led us into a poor run of form in the second half of the season, he behaved in a questionable manner on occasions in terms of his managerial duties, antagonised and openly rounded on individual players and apparently, lost the dressing room. Some say he engineered a move away from Hibs and in a short space of time landed back at his first love, Celtic, where he was quoted as saying he could never really celebrate a Hibs goal against Celtic and even told his assistant to sit down and shut up when he celebrated Hibs goals against Celtic. I’m sure there is a substantial element of truth in these ‘facts’ and fair justification for Hibs supporters to be relieved he has gone and have sour memories of him, if not actually hatred.

Tarrahib
12-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Said so at the time but that was an absolutely mental suggestion :agree:
Behave.

Stuart93
12-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Agree with the first statement. A bit of realistic observation might answer your second point, although I think ‘hate’ is a bit strong. For example, having led us into a poor run of form in the second half of the season, he behaved in a questionable manner on occasions in terms of his managerial duties, antagonised and openly rounded on individual players and apparently, lost the dressing room. Some say he engineered a move away from Hibs and in a short space of time landed back at his first love, Celtic, where he was quoted as saying he could never really celebrate a Hibs goal against Celtic and even told his assistant to sit down and shut up when he celebrated Hibs goals against Celtic. I’m sure there is a substantial element of truth in these ‘facts’ and fair justification for Hibs supporters to be relieved he has gone and have sour memories of him, if not actually hatred.

Aye wasn’t overly fussed about him leaving as we were ***** and changes were needed but as for his pandering to the Celtic masses saying he couldn’t celebrate a goal for Hibs against celtic made me rediscover my hatred for him before he came to us

Pretty Boy
12-05-2019, 04:39 PM
I remember when Lennon was 1st rumoured as being interested in the Hibs job there was more than a few people suggesting we were embarrassing ourselves by even considering it possible. They regarded it as almost impossible that Lennon would sully himself by managing Hibs. The reality was his stock was low after a mitigated disaster at Bolton and he needed us every bit as much as we needed him.

Say what you like about the Championship season, it was a grim watch at times, but he got the job done. He then had a steady start in the top flight before an explosive 2nd half of the season saw us finish a brilliant 4th. If there is one criticism of that period it's his decision making in 2 semi finals that ended in disappointment. This season was always going to be tough but the manner of our collapse in the weeks leading up to Lennons departure was unexpected and pointed to a total breakdown in relationships at the club.

All in all Lennon was good for Hibs, we were good for him and I certainly don't hate him. However I never believed he was irreplaceable, he's not a great manager by any stretch of the imagination.

Since452
12-05-2019, 04:44 PM
His tactics away to Hearts last May were woeful. So was his behaviour after it. Completely lost the plot and never fully recovered. Like i said earlier though he's Celtics problem now.

Tarrahib
12-05-2019, 05:17 PM
I remember when Lennon was 1st rumoured as being interested in the Hibs job there was more than a few people suggesting we were embarrassing ourselves by even considering it possible. They regarded it as almost impossible that Lennon would sully himself by managing Hibs. The reality was his stock was low after a mitigated disaster at Bolton and he needed us every bit as much as we needed him.

Say what you like about the Championship season, it was a grim watch at times, but he got the job done. He then had a steady start in the top flight before an explosive 2nd half of the season saw us finish a brilliant 4th. If there is one criticism of that period it's his decision making in 2 semi finals that ended in disappointment. This season was always going to be tough but the manner of our collapse in the weeks leading up to Lennons departure was unexpected and pointed to a total breakdown in relationships at the club.

All in all Lennon was good for Hibs, we were good for him and I certainly don't hate him. However I never believed he was irreplaceable, he's not a great manager by any stretch of the imagination.
Maybe the fact that he showed an interest in the Hibs job threw the Hibs board off the route they wanted to take.If they had gone for the young ambitious manager they probably had in mind at the time we maybe further down the road that the board wanted to be on.!!!

One Day Soon
12-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Giant chips on shoulders for some weird reason for some.

EI255
12-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Who else would take him?

He should go on the after dinner circuit. Never a football managerKillie might offer him a job, once Clarke goes the other way!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Lago
12-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Giant chips on shoulders for some weird reason for some.

calumhibee1
12-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Behave.

Was it not? The idea NL was the best manager we could ever dream of having bearing in mind we were on a relegation-esque run of form was baffling to say the least.

neil7908
12-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Was it not? The idea NL was the best manager we could ever dream of having bearing in mind we were on a relegation-esque run of form was baffling to say the least.

Totally. He was a decent manger, not fantastic and not terrible. In reality he had half a season of real quality at the end of last year.

Apart from the that he wasn't great and the run of the form when he left was brutal.

We'll seen now how good a manager he is but I'd put money on on him being a pundit in 5 years rather than a manager.

calumhibee1
12-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Totally. He was a decent manger, not fantastic and not terrible. In reality he had half a season of real quality at the end of last year.

Apart from the that he wasn't great and the run of the form when he left was brutal.

We'll seen now how good a manager he is but I'd put money on on him being a pundit in 5 years rather than a manager.

Yup. I’m in no way saying he was a bad manager. It was just incredibly over the top to suggest that he was the best we could ever get.

Just Jimmy
12-05-2019, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure. The truth is I never really ever got comfortable with the fact he was Hibs manager. I disliked him as a player and I never really ever warmed to him as a manager. That probably says more about me, but I found his Celtic connections too much. he never hid it and even when he was here hed talk them up when ever he could.

I looked past most of that when he had us winning games but the truth is there seems to be two camps of hibs fans and Lennon. 1. he's the best ever and nothing can be said to criticise or 2. he's bang average and were lucky he's gone.

I sit in the middle. it worked for a bit. it had it's ups and downs and it ended at the right time.

let's move on.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
12-05-2019, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure. The truth is I never really ever got comfortable with the fact he was Hibs manager. I disliked him as a player and I never really ever warmed to him as a manager. That probably says more about me, but I found his Celtic connections too much. he never hid it and even when he was here hed talk them up when ever he could.

I looked past most of that when he had us winning games but the truth is there seems to be two camps of hibs fans and Lennon. 1. he's the best ever and nothing can be said to criticise or 2. he's bang average and were lucky he's gone.

I sit in the middle. it worked for a bit. it had it's ups and downs and it ended at the right time.

let's move on.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I think the people in you third group you've just described are the majority of us.

J-C
12-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Maybe the fact that he showed an interest in the Hibs job threw the Hibs board off the route they wanted to take.If they had gone for the young ambitious manager they probably had in mind at the time we maybe further down the road that the board wanted to be on.!!!

This.

Lennon was nowhere near our radar, a young up and coming coach is our way and I'm led to believe he approached us for the job, he was high profile which obviously Leeann thought would be good for the club. Unfortunately Lennon can be a bit unstable and it all came to a head that fateful day at training.

supermcginn
12-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Celtic fans are desperate for him not to get the job. Rangers fans are praying he gets it. Says it all.

Jones28
12-05-2019, 07:17 PM
He was good for the club at the time. He got us back up. He passed his sell by date for the club and both parties moved on amicably.

Simple enough no?

chrisski33
12-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Lennon is finished. Time to move on

derekduval
12-05-2019, 07:27 PM
When the **** and I use that word based on the following when he got the Celtic job again he said he was looking forward to working with good/professional players agsin. What a ****ing insulting ******** 🐵. An ******** who was peer pressured into repeating that airplane **** in the 3 sisters. **** off

southsider
12-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Celtic fans are desperate for him not to get the job. Rangers fans are praying he gets it. Says it all.

Took Celtic 80 mins today to have a shot on target. Pathetic. The boy Johnstone looked like a fish out of water. Still think Lenny engineered a move outa Hibs. Perhaps Celtic might be better of wi Lenny from River City.

Hibernia&Alba
12-05-2019, 07:29 PM
I will be astonished if he gets the Celtic job permanently. They need another appointment of the cailbre of Rodgers.

Kojock
12-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Marmite.

Since452
12-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Lennon had a good 4 months as Hibs manager largely because of Flo, Allan and Jamie Mac. The rest was bang average at best.

tamig
12-05-2019, 08:37 PM
When the **** and I use that word based on the following when he got the Celtic job again he said he was looking forward to working with good/professional players agsin. What a ****ing insulting ******** 🐵. An ******** who was peer pressured into repeating that airplane **** in the 3 sisters. **** off

Think that’s a bit unfair. I loved his aeroplane.

12-05-2019, 08:38 PM
He’s a twat

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Disappointed to hear that he told his staff not to celebrate a HIBS goal versus Celtic whilst HIBS Manager if true

Any respect I had left for the man just flew oot the windae

eastmainsmsh
12-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Wonder if lenny being in line with Scotland job

oldbutdim
12-05-2019, 09:06 PM

I hadn't heard that quote until now. He's just dropped quite heavily in my estimation.
Bit of a bitchy thing to say about guys who you worked closely with a short time ago.

I wish him every success in the Cup final, but mediocrity thereafter.

Sioux
12-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Lennon's got previous for making good players look like SH!£.

He's managed to turn what was a decent celtic side into bang average.

Right now hertz might get the benefit. God help us!

G B Young
12-05-2019, 10:26 PM
I hadn't heard that quote until now. He's just dropped quite heavily in my estimation.
Bit of a bitchy thing to say about guys who you worked closely with a short time ago.

I wish him every success in the Cup final, but mediocrity thereafter.

The reason you haven't heard that quote is because Lennon never said it. It's just unsubstantiated mud slinging for reasons it's hard to fathom.

Lennon did a great job at Hibs until the last couple of months and I enjoyed having him as our manager. Celtic never showed up today because the title is won and their focus is now the cup final so losing a meaningless derby will have no bearing on whether he gets the job.

Good luck in the final Lenny.

ancient hibee
12-05-2019, 10:27 PM
Disappointed to hear that he told his staff not to celebrate a HIBS goal versus Celtic whilst HIBS Manager if true

Any respect I had left for the man just flew oot the windae

That will be an out and out lie.

The 90+2
12-05-2019, 10:32 PM

No it’s not, he told Parker to sit down when SJM scored his second at Parkhead.

The 90+2
12-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Think that’s a bit unfair. I loved his aeroplane.

He wasn’t celebrating a Hibs draw having been 3 up, he was getting it up the huns for not finishing Celtic. Boy couldn’t care less about our club.

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 11:04 PM

What lies beneath?

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 11:06 PM
Wonder if lenny being in line with Scotland job

F#####g hope no!

andrew70
12-05-2019, 11:36 PM
We all backed him heavily when he was here - if we are being honest, he brought a lot of baggage with him. Towards the end of his tenure, he completely lost the plot. I’ve heard some horror stories from a couple of first team players and I’m glad we are shot of him. If Celtic take him on full time then they are in deep ****...

we are hibs
13-05-2019, 06:58 AM
He's the Celtic manager and should be treated as such. He showed himself up this season at both hibs and Celtic as being tactically inept and a one dimensional manager in the sense that he can't change his attitude towards players. He also very very rarely took any blame for defeats as he replicated yesterday where he blamed his players rather than actually coming up with a plan to beat rangers high press. A bang average manager made out to be better than he is.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 07:03 AM
We all backed him heavily when he was here - if we are being honest, he brought a lot of baggage with him. Towards the end of his tenure, he completely lost the plot. I’ve heard some horror stories from a couple of first team players and I’m glad we are shot of him. If Celtic take him on full time then they are in deep ****...

Heard the same

Well shot of by all accounts

Time to move on

Springbank
13-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Watching yesterday's game, he had one tricky winger (Johnston) who you need to play to feet. And he had one pacy forward (Burke) and to get him in the game you need your midfield to play one touch fast passing (to suck the opposition in, lose their shape, and open up the space for the pass in behind and the speedy boy to run onto)...that's if you want to get the best out of them.

Yesterday's Lennon team played the ball to feet to Burke in tight spaces every time (where he lost it - it's not his strength).
And they didn't get the ball to Johnston at all.
The Celtic midfield all wanted 2, 3, 4 touches on the ball - slow as anything.

It was like watching early season Lennon's Hibs - where he couldn't figure out how to play David Gray and Martin Boyle together on one flank, or Lewis & Horgan on the other.

The cup final looks to me like it'll be 1-0 either way and right now I wouldn't be confident Lennon will pick the right team or tactics for it.

My_Wife_Camille
13-05-2019, 09:01 AM
If Neil Lennon wants to restore his relationship with any Hibs Fans still miffed about his departure, or the latter part of his tenure at ER, all he needs to do to put things right* is win the Cup Final....preferably by a few goals.

* This is a light hearted post, please don't overreact.
I know it was meant as a joke but the need for that disclaimer at the end is the possibly the single best way to accurately represent the collective attitude and personality of this forum 😂

Since452
13-05-2019, 09:05 AM

That would tie in with the remarkable upturn in form after he left

hibstag
13-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Lennon's got previous for making good players look like SH!£.

He's managed to turn what was a decent celtic side into bang average.

Right now hertz might get the benefit. God help us!

This.
It never comes up in any of the will he won't he get the celtic job debates. That are on radio Scotland just how poor he had hibs playing and the mess he left at the end of his tenure or how he has taken Rodgers celtic who were coasting to the title backwards. It is all about how he is getting job done.

Since452
13-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Chris Hughton has just become avaliable. Be a decent shout for the Celtic job.

GloryGlory
13-05-2019, 09:38 AM

Hopefully he will bring his mate Colin Calderclown with him! :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-05-2019, 10:05 AM

He won't be out of a job for long.

G B Young
13-05-2019, 11:11 AM
This.
It never comes up in any of the will he won't he get the celtic job debates. That are on radio Scotland just how poor he had hibs playing and the mess he left at the end of his tenure or how he has taken Rodgers celtic who were coasting to the title backwards. It is all about how he is getting job done.

Which he is. He's proved himself a steady pair of hands with a squad he didn't sign, having been brought in at a time when there was still work to do to ensure the league title would be secured. Yesterday's defeat was Celtic's first in 16 and mattered little other than to hand some bragging rights to success-starved Rangers fans. Lennon won the previous Old Firm game (which had something riding on it) and backed that up by winning what on paper looked a testing Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen.

Folk seem to think Celtic were turning in swashbuckling displays on a weekly basis this season while Rodgers was in charge. That simply wasn't the case, as anyone who saw us turn them over at ER in December will recall. Rodgers also lost the Old Firm game at Ibrox in January.

If he goes on to win the cup final, I find it hard to see how anyone can say Lennon hasn't done a decent job there. And by doing so, he'll enhance an already strong CV. Over the last three years he'll have taken Hibs back to the top flight, steered us to our highest ever league points tally and had us in the running for second place right up until the final week of the season (the way some on here belittle that achievement would have you believe we challenge for second spot on an annual basis!). He's now well on course to ensure Celtic complete the treble treble.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Which he is. He's proved himself a steady pair of hands with a squad he didn't sign, having been brought in at a time when there was still work to do to ensure the league title would be secured. Yesterday's defeat was Celtic's first in 16 and mattered little other than to hand some bragging rights to success-starved Rangers fans. Lennon won the previous Old Firm game (which had something riding on it) and backed that up by winning what on paper looked a testing Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen.

Folk seem to think Celtic were turning in swashbuckling displays on a weekly basis this season while Rodgers was in charge. That simply wasn't the case, as anyone who saw us turn them over at ER in December will recall. Rodgers also lost the Old Firm game at Ibrox in January.

If he goes on to win the cup final, I find it hard to see how anyone can say Lennon hasn't done a decent job there. And by doing so, he'll enhance an already strong CV. Over the last three years he'll have taken Hibs back to the top flight, steered us to our highest ever league points tally and had us in the running for second place right up until the final week of the season (the way some on here belittle that achievement would have you believe we challenge for second spot on an annual basis!). He's now well on course to ensure Celtic complete the treble treble.

Some very good points there GBY

Difficult to argue with any of it on paper anyway

In my honest opinion he never recovered from selecting the wrong team and tactics against Hearts and went into total meltdown mode after that despite a creditable performance versus The Rangers in the final game

The acid test will be if he gets offered the Celtic gig which many on here including myself very much doubt

bigwheel
13-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Some very good points there GBY

Difficult to argue with any of it on paper anyway

In my honest opinion he never recovered from selecting the wrong team and tactics against Hearts and went into total meltdown mode after that despite a creditable performance versus The Rangers in the final game

The acid test will be if he gets offered the Celtic gig which many on here including myself very much doubt

I can’t get my head round why one result starts to destabilise Lennon in such a material way ...

Does that stack up with our European run and very good start in the first quarter of the league ? Doesn’t to me ..

For me it is much more complex than that ..and can’t see the conclusion about the Hearts game stacking up to scrutiny ..

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 11:40 AM
I can’t get my head round why one result starts to destabilise Lennon in such a material way ...

Does that stack up with our European run and very good start in the first quarter of the league ? Doesn’t to me ..

For me it is much more complex than that ..and can’t see the conclusion about the Hearts game stacking up to scrutiny ..

Agree to a certain extent but seemed to overcook things in his own head when he came up against Potter at Tiny and could never get the better of him there mind games included

Perhaps he felt second place was the best he could ever hope to achieve at HIBS and he just fell short

His work here was done

bigwheel
13-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Not sure the Tiny thing is real - he clearly felt we couldn’t play our game against them - but lots of managers make that call in such a narrow pitch.

For me the interesting thing about that time was how disappointed and angry he was at not taking the chance to be second. Can’t recall since Turnbull days we had a manager who set that level of goals ...

Fair to say it has been best for both parties to move on

I think he is a decent outside bet for The Scotland Jin btw

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Not sure the Tiny thing is real - he clearly felt we couldn’t play our game against them - but lots of managers make that call in such a narrow pitch.

For me the interesting thing about that time was how disappointed and angry he was at not taking the chance to be second. Can’t recall since Turnbull days we had a manager who set that level of goals ...

Yip!

Remember the anger and rightly so!

As soon as I saw the team.....

HibeeHibernian4
13-05-2019, 11:57 AM

This isn't trying to after you personally, but the 'very good start in the first quarter of the league' thing is a complete myth that needs to be nipped in the bud once and for all.

After the first four games, against Motherwell, St Johnstone, a slow-starting Aberdeen and Livingston, we picked up a pathetic five points.

Our fixtures were then extremely generous after Maclaren dived to win a penalty against Kilmarnock, which we edged out 3-2.

We then had Dundee away, St Mirren away and Accies at home. All three of these teams have been abysmal, and anything less than nine points would've been a disgrace.

After that Accies game, we had played eight games - not a quarter of the league, but we'll disregard that. We had 17 points, so just over two points a game. Which is usually a barometer of good league form.

But when you consider how outrageously fortunate we'd been with the fixture list (not playing any of Celtic, Hearts or Rangers until late October), we had an amazing chance to launch a serious bid for the title that could've at least lasted until January before Celtic bucked their ideas up.

They had an awful start to the season by their standards, winning three, losing two and drawing one of their opening six league games, as well as troubles in Europe.

Hibs, quite honestly, should've been looking to get at least 20 points from the opening 24 that were on offer, and 24 wouldn't have been unrealistic either. Losing at a Livingston who only just had a new manager in the door after the Kenny Miller turmoil, drawing at home to a gutless Aberdeen side and Lennon again proving himself incapable of winning a game in Perth cost us that.

Lago
13-05-2019, 12:06 PM
Hopefully he will bring his mate Colin Calderclown with him! :greengrin
Not with him now

Smartie
13-05-2019, 12:10 PM
Agree to a certain extent but seemed to overcook things in his own head when he came up against Potter at Tiny and could never get the better of him there mind games included

Perhaps he felt second place was the best he could ever hope to achieve at HIBS and he just fell short

His work here was done

There were a few things that came out after the Tynecastle game, such as McGeouch going (he mentioned this in his after-match interview).

I think he knew the team was going to be broken up in a way that was going to be almost impossible to rebuild without a decent bit of time and some finance the like of which we've never seen before at Hibs.

We'd blown the type of chance we weren't going to get again in a hurry.

As for those who claim he didn't care about our club - the man was devastated at that point. Whether it was for purely selfish career reasons or otherwise, he wanted to be a big success at Hibs (and in my opinion he certainly was) and at that moment he knew he'd missed out a massive level of success by only a whisker.

matty_f
13-05-2019, 12:24 PM

I thought he bottled it at Tiny by trying to put out a team that (ironically) wouldn't bottle it.

Heckingbottom won there by doing what we are good at, Lennon tried to go there and do what Hearts are good at.

IWasThere2016
13-05-2019, 12:27 PM
(Allegedly) Lennon was told before Sunday he wasn't getting the job

(Disclaimer - apols if already posted above. Too lazy to check)

G B Young
13-05-2019, 12:33 PM
This isn't trying to after you personally, but the 'very good start in the first quarter of the league' thing is a complete myth that needs to be nipped in the bud once and for all.

After the first four games, against Motherwell, St Johnstone, a slow-starting Aberdeen and Livingston, we picked up a pathetic five points.

Our fixtures were then extremely generous after Maclaren dived to win a penalty against Kilmarnock, which we edged out 3-2.

We then had Dundee away, St Mirren away and Accies at home. All three of these teams have been abysmal, and anything less than nine points would've been a disgrace.

After that Accies game, we had played eight games - not a quarter of the league, but we'll disregard that. We had 17 points, so just over two points a game. Which is usually a barometer of good league form.

But when you consider how outrageously fortunate we'd been with the fixture list (not playing any of Celtic, Hearts or Rangers until late October), we had an amazing chance to launch a serious bid for the title that could've at least lasted until January before Celtic bucked their ideas up.

They had an awful start to the season by their standards, winning three, losing two and drawing one of their opening six league games, as well as troubles in Europe.

Hibs, quite honestly, should've been looking to get at least 20 points from the opening 24 that were on offer, and 24 wouldn't have been unrealistic either. Losing at a Livingston who only just had a new manager in the door after the Kenny Miller turmoil, drawing at home to a gutless Aberdeen side and Lennon again proving himself incapable of winning a game in Perth cost us that.

I think you're being harsh there. How many times down the years have we looked at a run of fixtures and proclaimed we SHOULD be taking 'x' number of points from them, only to fall short? The only genuinely BAD result from those opening eight fixtures was the loss at Livi, although it should be remembered they ended Hearts' winning streak a couple of weeks later as well as beating Rangers. When we steamrollered Accies 6-0 to put ourselves just a point or two off the top of the table the consensus among most pundits was that we looked a better bet than Hearts for tilt at the title. Bear in mind we were also playing in Europe every week at that stage so maintaining top form in every game was a big ask.

In my view the loss of some really top players and the failure to adequately replace them started to catch up with us, coupled with a shift in Lennon's approach to the job. What lay behind the latter factor we'll probably never fully know, but my point is that Lennon seems to cop a great deal more flak than other far less successful Hibs managers for what was, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively short period of decline. In hindsight he left at the right time, but overall his contribution to Hibs was a very positive one.

JOD
13-05-2019, 12:38 PM
When we went to the pub park and Darkheid under Lennon we faced them up fought for every ball /tackle and although we didn't always wi I never once came away not proud of my team.
Unlike what's happened with the new management where we seem to respect the ugly sisters that much we cm are beat before a ball is kic

Heisenberg
13-05-2019, 12:46 PM
When we went to the pub park and Darkheid under Lennon we faced them up fought for every ball /tackle and although we didn't always wi I never once came away not proud of my team.
Unlike what's happened with the new management where we seem to respect the ugly sisters that much we cm are beat before a ball is kic

I’m more than happy with the new management team coming in and taking us on a run of 2 defeats in 12 games, tbh. Not really bothered how he does it I just want us picking up results.

G B Young
13-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Heckingbottom's unbeaten against Hearts, including a first win at Tynecastle in six years, and we drew both the home league games against the OF under his charge. A tame loss to Celtic in the cup the week after he'd come in and a poor showing at Ibrox last week were disappointing, but it's hardly a terrible record.

I agree Lennon was great for us against the Old Firm and initially against Hearts too where we really battered them on three occasions at ER (the 3-1, 1-0 and 2-0 scorelines didn't reflect our dominance). At Tynie I thought he started off OK too by having us 'man up' to their physical tactics but I felt he stuck too rigidly to that tactic towards the end.

we are hibs
13-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Our performances under Lennon at tynecastle were *****. We rarely took the game to them.

Kojock
13-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Disliked Lennon as a player, disliked him more when he was a Celtic player then manager. Tolerated him when he came to us. Back to disliking him now hes Celtic manager again.

The 90+2
13-05-2019, 01:02 PM

Like that time we drew with the champions recently and beat hearts at Tynie - something Lennon never managed to in many games.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Did we not lose five goals to some team of Butchers Bakers and Candlestick Makers from Iceland or the Faroes in the Europa League and some dafties on here wanted to sign half their players followed by a two month run between the two Hamilton games between October and December where we did not win a game? :confused:

The 90+2
13-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Did we not lose five goals to some team of Butchers Bakers and Candlestick Makers from Iceland or the Faroes in the Europa League and some dafties on here wanted to sign half their players followed by a two month run between the two Hamilton games between October and December where we did not win a game? :confused:

Fishermen to be precise Billy 👍

oldbutdim
13-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Disliked Lennon as a player, disliked him more when he was a Celtic player then manager. Tolerated him when he came to us. Back to disliking him now hes Celtic manager again.

A perfectly reasonable stance I'd say.
:agree:

Jones28
13-05-2019, 01:13 PM

We also exited the league cup in that time too, when we should have blown Aberdeen out of the water the way we were playing.

G B Young
13-05-2019, 01:39 PM
We also exited the league cup in that time too, when we should have blown Aberdeen out of the water the way we were playing.

Sheep were exceptionally fortunate that night. They effectively adopted yam-style every man behind the ball and kick anyone in a green shirt tactics while hoping to hit on the break. Yes, we should have won bearing in mind the chances we passed up but that was down to a lack of composure from our front men (Kamberi and Boyle missed great chances IIRC) and it would be very harsh to blame Lennon for the eventual loss on penalties.

matty_f
13-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Sheep were exceptionally fortunate that night. They effectively adopted yam-style every man behind the ball and kick anyone in a green shirt tactics while hoping to hit on the break. Yes, we should have won bearing in mind the chances we passed up but that was down to a lack of composure from our front men (Kamberi and Boyle missed great chances IIRC) and it would be very harsh to blame Lennon for the eventual loss on penalties.
The team were excellent that night, Lennon deserved credit for that performance rather than criticism.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Sheep started playing for penalties after twenty minutes falling over as soon as they were touched Shinnie kicking everything that moved how he never got booked is beyond me :confused:

Time after time our forwards took the wrong option 23 shots on goal the game was crying out for a Jamie MacLaren at the back post tap in.

I wonder what really happened with him and Lennon maybe he was gash?

Penalty shoot out was a joke with their Goalie standing yards off his line at each kick

McInnes summed it up when he said their shoot out success was not luck it was a science :confused:

Jones28
13-05-2019, 02:05 PM

They were, all I mean is that it was part of a poorer run than people think.

What I will say is my understanding in the aftermath was that Aberdeen practised their penalties. We didn't and lost.

bigwheel
13-05-2019, 02:18 PM
I thought he bottled it at Tiny by trying to put out a team that (ironically) wouldn't bottle it.

Heckingbottom won there by doing what we are good at, Lennon tried to go there and do what Hearts are good at.

Well it certainly didn’t work that’s for sure. I’d say too cautious rather than bottled. perhaps semantics ....

Since452
13-05-2019, 03:01 PM

6/1 now. Lump on.

HibeeHibernian4
13-05-2019, 03:02 PM

The Parkhead performance in October was absolutely rubbish and I cannot fathom to this day what game the pundits were watching.

Lennon, for some unknown reason, decided to drop Porteous (who'd been flying until then as part of a defence which had kept four clean sheets in a row), and brought in McGregor. Milligan also dropped back and we played a defensive three of Ambrose, Milligan and McGregor.

We were 2-0 down inside 20 minutes and the game was gone. McGregor was particularly rusty, but none of the defence looked good.

We changed shape and looked better in the second half with Boyle and Kamberi both helping us to get forward and counter attack quickly, which - surprise, surprise - worked well against a very average Celtic side.

However, every time we scored to halve the deficit, Celtic would simply move up another gear and double it again. Much like in the League Cup semi final the season before, where Lennon again set us up incorrectly.

When I got home, I was stunned to see pundits actually applauding our performance. We were crap and it was really odd to see people pretending otherwise.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 04:00 PM
The Parkhead performance in October was absolutely rubbish and I cannot fathom to this day what game the pundits were watching.

Lennon, for some unknown reason, decided to drop Porteous (who'd been flying until then as part of a defence which had kept four clean sheets in a row), and brought in McGregor. Milligan also dropped back and we played a defensive three of Ambrose, Milligan and McGregor.

We were 2-0 down inside 20 minutes and the game was gone. McGregor was particularly rusty, but none of the defence looked good.

We changed shape and looked better in the second half with Boyle and Kamberi both helping us to get forward and counter attack quickly, which - surprise, surprise - worked well against a very average Celtic side.

However, every time we scored to halve the deficit, Celtic would simply move up another gear and double it again. Much like in the League Cup semi final the season before, where Lennon again set us up incorrectly.

When I got home, I was stunned to see pundits actually applauding our performance. We were crap and it was really odd to see people pretending otherwise.

Just like the Scottish Cup semi final versus Aberdeen when he set us up incorrectly
He tells SJM to take the ball for a run from kick off ambushed 0-1
Plays Jase as a lone striker ball doesn’t stick to him just keeps coming back cue Grant Holt

JimBHibees
13-05-2019, 04:32 PM
Just like the Scottish Cup semi final versus Aberdeen when he set us up incorrectly
He tells SJM to take the ball for a run from kick off ambushed 0-1
Plays Jase as a lone striker ball doesn’t stick to him just keeps coming back cue Grant Holt

To be fair big Daz then passed the ball to Rooney. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 04:36 PM
To be fair big Daz then passed the ball to Rooney. :greengrin

I thought Big Daz took the winning goal well 😂

hibeejeebies
13-05-2019, 07:24 PM
The fickleness of the football fan.

SquashedFrogg
13-05-2019, 09:31 PM

What about when we went to the pbs? Lennon shat it before a ball was kicked. Also, we haven't played away to Celtic under PH.

You don't half waffle pash.

Hibernia&Alba
13-05-2019, 09:34 PM
The fickleness of the football fan.

:agree:

I don't think we should be too harsh on Neil Lennon. he did a very good job for us; it's just sad the way it ended. I think Celtic will need someone a level up, if they are to make ten-in-a-row.

SquashedFrogg
13-05-2019, 09:41 PM
They were, all I mean is that it was part of a poorer run than people think.

What I will say is my understanding in the aftermath was that Aberdeen practised their penalties. We didn't and lost.

We did pratice pens prior to match.

Jones28
13-05-2019, 09:53 PM

I thought I heard Lennon say we didn't in response to being asked? Tried to find the interview but couldn't.

Smartie
13-05-2019, 09:58 PM

I'd be amazed if there is a professional football club anywhere who didn't practice penalties from time to time, if not specifically before every cup tie when penalties might be on the cards.

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2019, 05:47 AM
I thought I heard Lennon say we didn't in response to being asked? Tried to find the interview but couldn't.

There you go!

Does not mention practising penalties

https://youtu.be/CwOZCG-ZgQM

we are hibs
14-05-2019, 06:31 AM
There you go!

The biggest surprise in that video is him praising kamberi

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2019, 09:02 AM
The biggest surprise in that video is him praising kamberi

Bigger surprise is if you scroll down to the comments the amount of hibbies praising Lennon and telling him what a wonderful Manager he was

Changed days

Dashing Bob S
14-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Lennon got frustrated then bored with Scottish football in his second season at Hibs. The move to Celtic hasn't invigorated him. He's not the sort of guy they want to steer them to their meaningless financial victory of 10 in a row. Might go to sleep at the wheel, either against a motivated Hun team in the league next year, or worse, against the Yams in this years cup final.

HoboHarry
14-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Lennon got frustrated then bored with Scottish football in his second season at Hibs. The move to Celtic hasn't invigorated him. He's not the sort of guy they want to steer them to their meaningless financial victory of 10 in a row. Might go to sleep at the wheel, either against a motivated Hun team in the league next year, or worse, against the Yams in this years cup final.
I'm not a betting man in any way, but if Celtic appoint Lennon then I'm going to put money on Sevco to win the league....

Since452
14-05-2019, 03:08 PM
I'm not a betting man in any way, but if Celtic appoint Lennon then I'm going to put money on Sevco to win the league....

I think Celtic will flex their financial muscle this summer. They have to.

Lago
14-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Bigger surprise is if you scroll down to the comments the amount of hibbies praising Lennon and telling him what a wonderful Manager he was

Changed days

Fickle fans Billy, fickle fans!!

BILLYHIBS
14-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Fickle fans Billy, fickle fans!!

See #104

:faf:

One Day Soon
14-05-2019, 07:34 PM
In 50 years time there will still be Lennon haters throwing their emotional issues with him into the virtual void on Facebook 5.0, Twitter 2070 and interplanetary Hibs.net.

I wonder if they'll pass it on genetically to their children?

ancient hibee
14-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Don’t think you should get too carried away with Rangers.Their players couldn’t do it under pressure in the games they had to win if they wanted to win a trophy.

jacomo
14-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Luckily he’s up against Levein, a guy who reacts to silverware the way a vampire reacts to garlic.

HibeeHibernian4
14-05-2019, 09:13 PM
In 50 years time there will still be Lennon haters throwing their emotional issues with him into the virtual void on Facebook 5.0, Twitter 2070 and interplanetary Hibs.net.

I wonder if they'll pass it on genetically to their children?

And they'll be far more justified than some of his tragic backers.

Jim44
14-05-2019, 09:39 PM

I think Celtic will flex their financial muscle this summer. They have to.

I agree that a ‘spending’ Celtic will probably win the league next year. If they don’t splash out, Sevco will win at a canter. Celtic can’t afford to keep Lennon.

Jones28
15-05-2019, 09:44 PM
There you go!

Thanks anyway Billy, I was certain I heard an interview on radio scotland asking if we'd practices pens to which he said no, that's why it stuck in my mind.

Iain G
16-05-2019, 09:58 AM
I agree that a ‘spending’ Celtic will probably win the league next year. If they don’t splash out, Sevco will win at a canter. Celtic can’t afford to keep Lennon.

He isn't the right man to keep them pushing forward, he was a steady hand to get them over the line this season but they have evolved under Rodgers and Lennon isn't progressive enough to keep that going forward.

Callum_62
16-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Rafa is the man for them....if they can convince him

pacoluna
16-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Guys why don't we talk about Terry butcher or something.

Jim44
16-05-2019, 04:15 PM
I heard him on the news talking about the permanent job. He says he can’t think of any reason why he should not get it. :rolleyes:

Northernhibee
16-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Celtic will struggle to get the big name manager they crave. When Deila left it looked as if Aberdeen May challenge for the title, so a manager like Rodgers could come in, make them unbeatable and look fantastic and he got his big move.

Why would a manager come and take them over at the peak of their trajectory? They will miss out on Mourinho, Benitez etc and be left with a choice of Bilic or Lennon. Neither would be a good choice and they’ll be back on a downward trajectory again.

G B Young
16-05-2019, 05:39 PM
I heard him on the news talking about the permanent job. He says he can’t think of any reason why he should not get it. :rolleyes:

I thought he came across well enough. He pointed out that of the 14 titles Celtic have won this century he's played a key role in 10 of them so reckons it's fair to say he knows what it takes.

But then I'm someone who thinks a guy who steered us to our highest ever league points tally did a good job at Hibs so what would I know?

Smartie
16-05-2019, 07:17 PM
I thought he came across well enough. He pointed out that of the 14 titles Celtic have won this century he's played a key role in 10 of them so reckons it's fair to say he knows what it takes.

But then I'm someone who thinks a guy who steered us to our highest ever league points tally did a good job at Hibs so what would I know?

Aye, but he lost a game against Ranjurs!!!!!!

There seems to be something quite bipolar about the way people respond to Neil Lennon. He's loved or hated, folk think he's brilliant or rubbish and it is ridiculous.

Exactly as you say, Lennon did a good job at Hibs overall. He had his highs and lows (as with every manager) but on balance I was happy with him and I still like him.

At Celtic he's done the most important thing - get them over the line in the league and he only needs to get a far superior squad up for a game against a pish Hearts team and he's got them another treble.

They need to spend this summer so their decision on who is manager is a big one. It's easy for Celtic fans to get seduced by big names but Lennon knows better than anyone what is required to win in Scotland and I think he'd be their best choice.

Since452
17-05-2019, 05:11 PM
I get the impression from his time with us and his recent Celtic interviews that he feels he can't do any wrong. It's always the players fault.

southsider
18-05-2019, 02:14 PM
A big Celtic fan who delivers to me asked yesterday ‘Do you want Neil Lennon back ?’ I replied ‘No thanks’

ekhibee
19-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Benitez clear favourite now, 8/11.