PDA

View Full Version : Milligans Throw In

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Did he just discover he can throw the ball about 30 yards from a shy? Why have we not been employing this tactic this season? Its as good as a corner and we only find out he can do that in the second last game of the season?!?!?! Mental!

Hiber-nation
11-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Couldn't believe it. Are we above a long throw now and again???

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Couldn't believe it. Are we above a long throw now and again???

Its a great thing to have in the team! Hearts use it regularly to gain an advantage when they get a throw in high up the park. On tight pitches like Tiny his throws could be used to put pressure on teams!

Lancs Harp
11-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Its called a line out when Hearts use it. :wink:

Hiber-nation
11-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Its a great thing to have in the team! Hearts use it regularly to gain an advantage when they get a throw in high up the park. On tight pitches like Tiny his throws could be used to put pressure on teams!

Hearts can GTF. They are obsessed with long throw ins.

The_Horde
11-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Probably cos we haven't been chasing games all that often recently?

Keith_M
11-05-2019, 08:27 PM

:agree:

B.H.F.C
11-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Can’t believe we haven’t employed that tactic this season. Really stupid that we haven’t.

O'Rourke3
11-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Can’t believe we haven’t employed that tactic this season. Really stupid that we haven’t.This. He almost threw it beyond the far post.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

eastterrace
11-05-2019, 08:48 PM
Yes
This. He almost threw it beyond the far post.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk. I remember when he was signing for us I had seen a video of him using the long throw but never understood why he didn’t use it playing for hibs

BoomtownHibees
11-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Mind-blowing that its the 2nd last game of the season and we learn that we have someone with a long throw

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Can't get my head round why this has not been discovered before now! We have been crying out for a long throw taker for seasons now!

CMac1988
11-05-2019, 08:59 PM
It was brought up a few times back when he first signed. Must admit I forgot he had it in his locker. Considering how bad we are at throw ins we should be utilising it more often... Bit late now mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

J-C
11-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Did he just discover he can throw the ball about 30 yards from a shy? Why have we not been employing this tactic this season? Its as good as a corner and we only find out he can do that in the second last game of the season?!?!?! Mental!

On FM19 he has a very long throw but the game isn't always accurate.

Jim44
11-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Considering how pathetic our throw ins are and have been for many years, this is a wee breath of fresh air.

Blaster
11-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Can't get my head round why this has not been discovered before now! We have been crying out for a long throw taker for seasons now!

I agree HC

Couldn’t believe it and it bounced beyond the penalty spot. Surely has to be an option for us??

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 09:47 PM
Considering how pathetic our throw ins are and have been for many years, this is a wee breath of fresh air.

We've scored at least 2 goals from throws since Hecky came in. Total myth we're bad from throws.

Unseen work
11-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Tbf I’m not really sure how suited our team would be to a long throw into the box. We must have one of the smallest midfields and attacks in the league.

Diclonius
11-05-2019, 10:13 PM
We did it fairly regularly with Ambrose. Good that we have another guy who can do it.

HibeeJude
11-05-2019, 10:19 PM
We might not have the tallest team but the long throw is surely better than playing it short just to give it away to the opposition

Iain G
11-05-2019, 10:30 PM
We've scored at least 2 goals from throws since Hecky came in. Total myth we're bad from throws.

No myth at all, we are bad at throw ins and have been for years! There is never enough movement or any options for the thrower.

monktonharp
11-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Hearts can GTF. They are obsessed with long throw ins.you can look at it that way if you want, but they use throw ins {or shys} to their maximum advantage. Think about the number of yards they always steal, think about the ball boys being instructed to hand a towel to their player before he throws, think about the ball boy leaving the ball which he should retrieve but wont, if it's for an opposing player, think about the gorgie fan that recently offered the ball to our player in the tynie derby then promptly threw it along the track. they are trained in that manner.

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 10:34 PM

Haha, you're either at it or you don't go to games to see our (bad) throw ins

monktonharp
11-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Tbf I’m not really sure how suited our team would be to a long throw into the box. We must have one of the smallest midfields and attacks in the league.a ball into the box for a wee player, is better than no ball into the box for a defender that has left his position to receive nae ba' !

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Haha, you're either at it or you don't go to games to see our (bad) throw ins

What is your obsession with telling folk they do or don't go to games?. I'm a regular away from home and have missed 1 home game in 4 years. We're no better or worse than any other team from throws. Scored quite a few goals, even this season, from them

Stuart93
11-05-2019, 11:26 PM
What is your obsession with telling folk they do or don't go to games?. I'm a regular away from home and have missed 1 home game in 4 years. We're no better or worse than any other team from throws. Scored quite a few goals, even this season, from them

We were a lot worse at throw ins today than killie

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Being of a certain vintage I remember the late Erich Schaedlers throw ins as being like a corner kick to the back post

Older posters may remember a Scottish Cup tie at Firhill for thrills circa 1972 when such a throw in was cleared back to him and he proceeded to volley it straight back into the faraway top corner of the net :greengrin

danhibees1875
12-05-2019, 08:13 AM

I think it's one of those things that you notice when you have a bad one and don't notice when it's good or the opposition have a bad one. Double that with having 20 throw ins a game and you suddenly think you have a problem.

There's been chat about throw ins being one of our down falls for as long as I can remember, it must be for that reason. :dunno:

where'stheslope
12-05-2019, 09:55 AM
It was brought up a few times back when he first signed. Must admit I forgot he had it in his locker. Considering how bad we are at throw ins we should be utilising it more often... Bit late now mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Maybe he just found the key?????:confused::confused::confused:

hfc rd
12-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Probably cos we haven't been chasing games all that often recently?

Yes we have.

hhibs
12-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Bollards !

hhibs
12-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Agreed.

BoomtownHibees
12-05-2019, 12:01 PM

You’re at it if you think it’s a myth. Just because we have scored a couple of goals from quick throws doesn’t change that

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2019, 12:11 PM
You’re at it if you think it’s a myth. Just because we have scored a couple of goals from quick throws doesn’t change that

Yeah, I don't agree with a blanket statement not backed up with any facts so I'm at it.

BoomtownHibees
12-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I don't agree with a blanket statement not backed up with any facts so I'm at it.

What ‘facts’ do you need? Open your eyes and you will see it for yourself. How long do we take at throw ins? Lack of movement and lack of urgency from the thrower causes us issues at nearly every throw in. Taking 2 quick ones all season doesn’t alter that

My_Wife_Camille
12-05-2019, 12:30 PM
He’s just a troll. Best ignored.

calumhibee1
12-05-2019, 12:32 PM
What ‘facts’ do you need? Open your eyes and you will see it for yourself. How long do we take at throw ins? Lack of movement and lack of urgency from the thrower causes us issues at nearly every throw in. Taking 2 quick ones all season doesn’t alter that

To be fair I think nearly every teams fans say the same thing. I certainly never see a team that I think are good at throw ins.

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 12:35 PM
When Hecky first arrived a feature of his new found input was the quick throw in worked a treat up in Dundee since then nothing

Makes me think it was just a fluke

Onceinawhile
12-05-2019, 12:40 PM
When Hecky first arrived a feature of his new found input was the quick throw in worked a treat up in Dundee since then nothing

Makes me think it was just a fluke

Scored against livi from a throw in. Wasn't a quick one either.

scooby
12-05-2019, 12:48 PM
He took most of the throws for Australia in the Asian Cup and most were long.

The_Horde
12-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Yes we have.

Yeah, we've been behind. But we've hardly put anyone under serious attacking pressure in those instances..

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2019, 12:53 PM

But are we so much worse than anyone else? Never came away from a game thinking the other team were just exceptional at throw-ins.

BoomtownHibees
12-05-2019, 12:55 PM
But are we so much worse than anyone else? Never came away from a game thinking the other team were just exceptional at throw-ins.

Tbf I’m no that fussed about other teams but over the last wee while I’ve thought on a number of occasions that the ref is going to give the other team the throw in due to how long we are taking. I can’t remember thinking that about any team we have been playing

J-C
12-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Not a clue about other teams, I just know by watching us for the past few seasons that we've been rubbish at throw ins.

The Harp Awakes
12-05-2019, 01:45 PM

The noticeable thing when Hibs have a throw in, is the lack of movement to give the thrower an option. It been so bad in recent games I've wondered if this was a tactic by Hibs to slow the game down. Generally opposition teams show much more movement at throw ins and use them to their advantage whether to advance play up the pitch or to get the ball into the opponents box. As has been pointed out, it's a massive part of Hearts' game plan; it may not be pretty to watch but it certainly puts them on the front foot.

oldbutdim
12-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Darren Jackson was excellent at taking a quick throw in. He was absolute quality at receiving them too. The difficulty came in doing both at the same time.
We have been pretty rubbish with throw ins since them heady days.

Fife-Hibee
12-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Is it any surprise we haven't been using the long throw in, when we lose the ball from short corners half of the time?! :grr:

"Getting the ball in the box" seems to be lost on us more than other clubs.

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Scored against livi from a throw in. Wasn't a quick one either.

I was talking about under Hecky that was 1/9/18 and not many since :confused:

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2019, 05:22 PM
I was talking about under Hecky that was 1/9/18 and not many since :confused:

It was about a month ago, under Hecky, when we won 2-1. Mallan goal came from a throw didn't it? So was McNulty at Dundee.

Onceinawhile
12-05-2019, 05:44 PM
It was about a month ago, under Hecky, when we won 2-1. Mallan goal came from a throw didn't it? So was McNulty at Dundee.

Yup. But it doesn't count for some reason.

The_Horde
12-05-2019, 05:50 PM

It's a giant myth that we've been crap at throw ins. Particularly in recent times where we've had John McGinn and his giant arse.

BILLYHIBS
12-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Malians goal versus Livi came as a result of a ball played through from the left back position after some midfield play not a throw in
McNulty’s goal was the goal that came as a result of the quick throw I was talking about in my OP up at Dundee taken quickly by Flo to Horgan who squared the ball to McNulty

Onceinawhile
13-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Malians goal versus Livi came as a result of a ball played through from the left back position after some midfield play not a throw in
McNulty’s goal was the goal that came as a result of the quick throw I was talking about in my OP up at Dundee taken quickly by Flo to Horgan who squared the ball to McNulty

Yup, and the ball got to the left back position, via the midfield from the throw in.

BILLYHIBS
13-05-2019, 08:19 AM
Yup, and the ball got to the left back position, via the midfield from the throw in.

Eventually :greengrin

https://youtu.be/B8Fpd_moQvA

No throw in in goal highlights so one has to presume that passage of play has passed

Heedersnvolleys
13-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Its called a line out when Hearts use it. :wink:

I have no doubt when watching hertz that they actually kick it up the park for fueld position
similar to rugby.

MrRobot
13-05-2019, 10:54 AM
We are terrible at throw ins and have been for years.

B.H.F.C
13-05-2019, 10:58 AM
I can’t believe he only decided to use this in the second last game of the season.

I don’t think we should just resort to throwing the ball in to the box at every opportunity, but there must have been plenty times when we’ve been chasing games and it would have been handy to do so.

MWHIBBIES
13-05-2019, 11:03 AM
I can’t believe he only decided to use this in the second last game of the season.

I don’t think we should just resort to throwing the ball in to the box at every opportunity, but there must have been plenty times when we’ve been chasing games and it would have been handy to do so.

Yes, Ambrose was doing it. Also came to nothing then as well.

davhibby
13-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Milligan's on Saturday was much better than Ambrose could manage. It dropped around the six yard box at the far end, just needed someone to attack it

B.H.F.C
13-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Yes, Ambrose was doing it. Also came to nothing then as well.

So just the four months since he left that we’ve chosen not to use it.

Ambrose looped it in away up in the air. Milligan threw it in with a lot more pace, more of a chance that something might come of it if used consistently.