PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment for next season

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Has to be better than this season’s. No one expects a 100% success rate, but well above 50% would be good.

Mallan - Success
Kamberri -success
Milligan -Fail (useless until he got back from Asia in Feb and average since)
Hyndman -Fail
Bogdan - Success (he was needed because of Rocky’s injury and done a decent job)
Agyepong - Fail
McLaren - Fail
Horgan - Success
Gauld - Fail
Bigrimana - Fail
Johnson - Fail
McNulty - success
Omeonga - Success
Nelom - Fail
Mavrious - Fail

6/15 strike rate needs to be better next season.
Not sure if I’ve missed anyone? I can’t even remember if the last two were this season or last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvellous
11-05-2019, 04:01 PM
"McLaren" was not a failure.

calumhibee1
11-05-2019, 04:04 PM

He was a gigantic failure if were just considering this seasons recruitment like the OP said. In saying that, you would probably have to say Flo could be classed as a failure to a lesser degree from last seasons recruitment aswell.

we are hibs
11-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Has to be better than this season’s. No one expects a 100% success rate, but well above 50% would be good.

Mallan - Success
Kamberri -success
Hyndman -Fail
Bogdan - Success (he was needed because of Rocky’s injury and done a decent job)
Agyepong - Fail
McLaren - Fail
Horgan - Success
Gauld - Fail
Bigrimana - Fail
Johnson - Fail
McNulty - success
Omeonga - Success
Nelom - Fail
Mavrious - Fail

Not sure if I’ve missed anyone? I can’t even remember if the last two were this season or last?

Spector

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Spector

Of course, hard to call either way but no significant contribution so I’m going for Fail.

B.H.F.C
11-05-2019, 04:12 PM

This season he was. One goal in half a season.

jacomo
11-05-2019, 04:15 PM
I think Milligan has been ok and his versatility is a bonus.

Agree that we need to do better this summer though, and crucially have a better balance in the squad.

Onceinawhile
11-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Of course, hard to call either way but no significant contribution so I’m going for Fail.

Played in a win at Tynecastle - pass! Him and bigi are difficult to judge, but if they were good enough, you would think they would both get game time. Think they're both, as you've said, fails.

Think you're being harsh on milligan though. He started well, faded badly and has been good since February. I'd pass him.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 04:21 PM
It's pretty obvious we need to sign better players. Every team does.

Allan is a brilliant start. 3/4 more on his level we'll be very good.

hfc rd
11-05-2019, 04:22 PM

Mallan - Success
Kamberri -success
Hyndman -Fail
Agyepong - Fail
McLaren - Fail
Horgan - Success
Gauld - Fail
Bigrimana - Fail
Johnson - Fail
McNulty - success
Omeonga - Success
Nelom - Fail
Mavrious - Fail

Surprised you have put Kamberi down as a success. He’s been a shadow of the player he was last season on loan.

If he moves on this summer, I won’t stand in his way.

It’s pretty clear the area we are really lacking - up top.

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Surprised you have put Kamberi down as a success. He’s been a shadow of the player he was last season on loan.

I was trying to be as generous as possible. There will be different opinions on individual players but I think most can see that the sheer number of failures makes last season’s recruitment pretty awful.
Greame Mathie and his team need to up their game massively.

RIP
We have a full-time recruitment department, youth academy and sports injury team. Lennon was unimpressed with their performance- didn’t think they were meeting the standards for a club with European ambitions.

Based on this season it is hard to disagree

Just Jimmy

It’s pretty clear the area we are really lacking - up top.he's our joint top scorer. the argument is if he should have scored more, but he's our joint top scorer.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 04:28 PM
We have a full-time recruitment department, youth academy and sports injury team. Lennon was unimpressed with their performance- didn’t think they were meeting the standards for a club with European ambitions.

Last season’s recruitment was poor as well although the January window saved the day with the arrival of Allan, Kamberri and McLaren.

cleanyman
11-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Majority of the signings have been garbage.

Waste of time and money. I'm still unconvinced with the folk that do the recruiting

Heisenberg
11-05-2019, 04:34 PM

I was unimpressed with Lennon’s performance and didn’t think he was meeting the standards for a club with European ambitions.

As usual, Lennon lays the blame anywhere but with himself. All of the areas mentioned above performed well when Stubbs was in charge.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 04:38 PM
I was unimpressed with Lennon’s performance and didn’t think he was meeting the standards for a club with European ambitions.

As usual, Lennon lays the blame anywhere but with himself. All of the areas mentioned above performed well when Stubbs was in charge.

Nailed it.

SChibs
11-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Based entirely on this season I'd say Milligan has been a better addition than Kamberi

coldingham hibs
11-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Based entirely on this season I'd say Milligan has been a better addition than Kamberi

Correct.

eastcoasthibby
11-05-2019, 04:58 PM
It's interesting looking at the signings and the number who have given us nothing, it clearly says that something was wrong over last summer, whether it was Lennon or other direction they were given we will never know. The difference you would expect with this summer should come from the fact that Heckingbottom must have a fair knowledge of who players are down south and probably more importantly he seems to have a clear plan in how he wants to play and the player type he needs, the telling part will be about if we can afford and\or persuade them to come here. I know we all think we have the basis of a decent defence, I still think it needs bolstered and competition in both full back areas, so we can get the best for the team in every game, as we have seen at times both Gray and Stevenson aren't at it. Really looking forward to seeing what happens this summer, hoping we can get 4/5 that are improved quality than what we have just now and in filling important gaps.

Greencore
11-05-2019, 05:06 PM

His first spell no, his second spell, dud.

we are hibs
11-05-2019, 05:09 PM
From heckys post match comments it sounds like players were told in the last week who was staying/going.

cmcd
11-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Mallan - Success
Kamberri -success
Hyndman -Fail
Agyepong - Fail
McLaren - Fail
Horgan - Success
Gauld - Fail
Bigrimana - Fail
Johnson - Fail
McNulty - success
Omeonga - Success
Nelom - Fail
Mavrious - Fail

Agyepong and Gauld have been injured long term but both are class players . 5 others have not been given game time so how can you say they have Failed??

supermcginn
11-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Neither have been good enough this season. At least kamberi is still relatively young.

Heisenberg
11-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Milligan is painfully slow. Ok at intercepting the ball and on occasion he’s good with it at his feet. I wouldn’t have him as a first pick next season.

Lancs Harp
11-05-2019, 05:27 PM
After looking so good and promising last season Flo has been the most disappointing player for me this season. Looks a shadow of himself from last season.

Despite a great hatrick against Rangers I never particularly took to Maclaren.

I'm looking forward to Heck freshening things up over the summer, he knows what he wants to do and where to strenthen (from his press conference), hopefully we can get the required bodies in.

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Agyepong and Gauld have been injured long term but both are class players . 5 others have not been given game time so how can you say they have Failed??

I haven’t seen any evidence to back that up. It’s possible but no way to tell based on their time here.

Keith_M
11-05-2019, 06:28 PM
If we have any ambition at all, there has to be a fairly large turnover of players.

IMO, we should be targetting a top three finish.

Iain G
11-05-2019, 06:34 PM

Very harsh to say fail when he has done all that was asked of him in the limited time he has had! Brought in as cover when we were down into two fit centrebacks

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Very harsh to say fail when he has done all that was asked of him in the limited time he has had! Brought in as cover when we were down into two fit centrebacks

Agree, the player himself hasn’t failed. What I meant is it’s another signing we never used like Nelom etc.

Borderhibbie76
11-05-2019, 06:46 PM
I think Milligan has been ok and his versatility is a bonus.

Agree that we need to do better this summer though, and crucially have a better balance in the squad.I disagree...he infuriates me...dont think he played a forward pass all day today...we need much better imo...he slows us down terribly

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
11-05-2019, 06:47 PM

As usual, Lennon lays the blame anywhere but with himself. All of the areas mentioned above performed well when Stubbs was in charge.Bang...on...the...money

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 06:51 PM
I disagree...he infuriates me...dont think he played a forward pass all day today...we need much better imo...he slows us down terribly

Mcgeogh didn’t make the Sunderland squad again today. Is he injured? If they get promoted they def won’t want him for the championship if they don’t play him in league 1.

Borderhibbie76
11-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Mcgeogh didn’t make the Sunderland squad again today. Is he injured? If they get promoted they def won’t want him for the championship if they don’t play him in league 1.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLove to have him back...how we miss him and SJM in the middle of park. Have to say Mallan was again awful today too...I actually forgot he was on the park till he took a free kick with 10 mins to go

A Hi-Bee
11-05-2019, 06:52 PM
It's pretty obvious we need to sign better players. Every team does.

Allan is a brilliant start. 3/4 more on his level we'll be very good.

Better players require more funds to be raised Quality costs money.
We do need a better return than we have been getting, we should always be aiming to finish 3rd at least.
**** Herts, **** the Sheep and **** Killie we should be far better than them.
Hecky will need funds will he get them, can we give him them, time will tell.

FitbaFolkKen
11-05-2019, 07:00 PM
I haven’t seen any evidence to back that up. It’s possible but no way to tell based on their time here.

I think the point is it is hard to give the recruitment team grief for them when they haven't been fit enough to show us why they brought them in. On the flip side some of the signings like Nelom, Mavrias, McLaren had pedrigee but failed to show it and break into the team so they are definitely failures. I loved McLaren last season but this he was non existent.

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 07:09 PM
I think the point is it is hard to give the recruitment team grief for them when they haven't been fit enough to show us why they brought them in. On the flip side some of the signings like Nelom, Mavrias, McLaren had pedrigee but failed to show it and break into the team so they are definitely failures. I loved McLaren last season but this he was non existent.

On any individual player there can be reasons it didn’t work. The problem is the sheer number of signings we have had who made no or very little contribution. Something went very wrong this year.

FitbaFolkKen
11-05-2019, 07:18 PM
On any individual player there can be reasons it didn’t work. The problem is the sheer number of signings we have had who made no or very little contribution. Something went very wrong this year.

On the plus side Boyle and Porteous will hopefully be fully fit for the start of the season, they will be like a couple of new signings.

Crammond Hibee
11-05-2019, 07:19 PM

I agree 100%

tamig
11-05-2019, 07:23 PM
I was trying to be as generous as possible. There will be different opinions on individual players but I think most can see that the sheer number of failures makes last season’s recruitment pretty awful.

It’s not the recruitment team who sign the players though. I think the new manager will work much better with the recruitment team than NL did.

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 07:26 PM
A right back, a left back and a prolific striker required.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 07:31 PM
A right back, a left back and a prolific striker required.

Midfield much more in need than the back 4.

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Midfield much more in need than the back 4.

No going by todays performances from our defenders its not. Last weeks as well!

Since90+2
11-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Heckingbottom has done a phenomenal job so far. He walked into a job with the press ready to jump on any bad start and he has handled it perfectly.

He seems like a smart guy and I'm sure he will already have decent signings lined up. I liked Lennon but my gut instinct tells me he is another level above Lennon in terms of management.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 07:35 PM
No going by todays performances from our defenders its not. Last weeks as well!

We only conceded to a blatant dive? Defence not at all to blame today.

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 07:40 PM

If you were at the game you will have known that Kilmarnock missed a number of guilt edge chances, a combination of poor finishing and some good saves from Rocky. Most chances came about due to defensive errors opposed to good football by Kilmarnock.

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 07:41 PM

I agree the midfield has been very poor. Milligan sits way too deep, practically in beside the centre halfs. Makes it difficult to link with the attack.

Since90+2
11-05-2019, 07:44 PM
If you were at the game you will have known that Kilmarnock missed a number of guilt edge chances, a combination of poor finishing and some good saves from Rocky. Most chances came about due to defensive errors opposed to good football by Kilmarnock.

Teams will always make chances , especially teams at home doing well and going for third place.

Our defence is pretty decent and is down the pecking order of priorities. We need a couple of midfielders and forwards far more than we need defensive players.

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Teams will always make chances , especially teams at home doing well and going for third place.

Our defence is pretty decent and is down the pecking order of priorities. We need a couple of midfielders and forwards far more than we need defensive players.

We've got Scott Allan coming in and Fraser Murray breaking through now. A striker is a must, I'd look beyond McNulty, he's done bugger all for weeks now. Largely anonymous today.

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 07:56 PM
We've got Scott Allan coming in and Fraser Murray breaking through now. A striker is a must, I'd look beyond McNulty, he's done bugger all for weeks now. Largely anonymous today.

We can’t go into next season reliant on Fraser Murray. He’s 20 now and has very little first team experience. He should have made more of an impact by now. Usually when a player gets to 20 with as little game time as Fraser they usually don’t make it. Time will tell.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 08:20 PM

I was at the game. They didn't miss a number of guild edge chances, that is just not true. They missed one when the boy was through and rocky made a save from a corner. Neither of those were the fullbacks fault so dunno why they are to blame. Its actually the fullbacks attacking abilty which is lacking.

elevengoats
11-05-2019, 08:33 PM
I have been impressed with Gauld in most occasions when he has played. Not a fail for me. Really unfortunate he got that lengthy injury.

Billy Whizz
11-05-2019, 08:35 PM
I have been impressed with Gauld in most occasions when he has played. Not a fail for me. Really unfortunate he got that lengthy injury.

Maybe why they didn’t want to risk him on astro

Iggy Pope
11-05-2019, 08:46 PM
I was at the game. They didn't miss a number of guild edge chances, that is just not true. They missed one when the boy was through and rocky made a save from a corner. Neither of those were the fullbacks fault so dunno why they are to blame. Its actually the fullbacks attacking abilty which is lacking.

True. I reckon their goalie made as many saves as ours did, routine or otherwise.
I never thought Hibs were under the cosh at any time in the game and considering how poor we were it took a phantom penalty to defeat us.
Think I’ll hit the sack, which will be dry in the morning again.

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Maybe why they didn’t want to risk him on astro

I think if we were thinking of keeping him he would have played.

Borderhibbie76
11-05-2019, 09:11 PM
A right back, a left back and a prolific striker required.We are in dire need of plenty forward positions before we start to worry about full backs...some of your posts are just bizarre. I see u called the away support wrong today 1500 when u predicted 600??

Borderhibbie76
11-05-2019, 09:13 PM
I was at the game. They didn't miss a number of guild edge chances, that is just not true. They missed one when the boy was through and rocky made a save from a corner. Neither of those were the fullbacks fault so dunno why they are to blame. Its actually the fullbacks attacking abilty which is lacking.Correct...HC is talking utter nonsense as usual...1 sitter they missed and 1 good save from rocky...that was it as far as I can remember. Defence is way down in our list of recruitment priorities

Hermit Crab
11-05-2019, 09:19 PM
We are in dire need of plenty forward positions before we start to worry about full backs...some of your posts are just bizarre. I see u called the away support wrong today 1500 when u predicted 600??

Key word, predicted. I could predict the lottery numbers for Tuesday, I probably won't be right though...

jacomo
11-05-2019, 09:29 PM
From heckys post match comments it sounds like players were told in the last week who was staying/going.

But surely today’s starting 11 was players who’d be staying (plus the two loanees)?

eastmainsmsh
11-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Stephen dobbie for a season

hibbyfraelibby
11-05-2019, 10:25 PM
Take away the loanees because basically we can neither afford the transfer fees nor the wages, add in the contract expired like Marv and Slivka and we are looking at recruiting half a team from scratch. Once Allan arrives Kamberi will get a bit of decent service but we will still need a front line striker, or two, as well as Oli. In midfield we need an action man with legs and a proper destroyer. Porteous will be back to share defensive duties but we are short of cover at wing back so a couple of defensive players required. In goal we will be reliant on Rocky being backed up by young Kevin so another experienced keep is required [Conrad anyone?]

I would imagine the recruitment team will have a list of candidates but it depends on what style Hecky wants to impose of his own rather than play within the capabilities of the resources he was left by Lennon.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Take away the loanees because basically we can neither afford the transfer fees nor the wages, add in the contract expired like Marv and Slivka and we are looking at recruiting half a team from scratch. Once Allan arrives Kamberi will get a bit of decent service but we will still need a front line striker, or two, as well as Oli. In midfield we need an action man with legs and a proper destroyer. Porteous will be back to share defensive duties but we are short of cover at wing back so a couple of defensive players required. In goal we will be reliant on Rocky being backed up by young Kevin so another experienced keep is required [Conrad anyone?]

I would imagine the recruitment team will have a list of candidates but it depends on what style Hecky wants to impose of his own rather than play within the capabilities of the resources he was left by Lennon.

Slivka isn't expiring, has another year

tamig
11-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Slivka isn't expiring, has another year

He’s also a relatively young man.

Ozyhibby
11-05-2019, 11:32 PM
He’s also a relatively young man.

But still not good enough to break into the team regularly.

sambajustice
11-05-2019, 11:56 PM
Everybody is pish!

16 new players please!

Cod Boy
11-05-2019, 11:58 PM
2 new strikers

Smartie
11-05-2019, 11:59 PM
Our players are miles better than the bottom 3-4 teams, roughly the same as the middle teams and not as good as the top 4.

If we want to improve our position next year then I'm afraid the midfield forward needs radical overhaul again. I quite like Milligan (although he's had a poor couple of weeks), I rate Boyle (although I'm a bit concerned how quick he'll still be when he gets back from serious injury) and I think that in the right position with the right players around him Kamberi is a player.

We've been screaming out for Scott Allan since he left.

I'd be in no rush to do anything about the defence or the keeper (although I have a hunch he'll be itching for a move) but as far as I'm concerned every other midfielder and forward can go.

Shaw and Murray are never going to be top 4 players. Mallan has too many deficiencies in his game and is far too inconsistent to play for a top 4 team, ditto Slivka. McNulty has been a passenger for weeks - with a better midfield creating something for him he might be ok but he's certainly not creating anything for himself.

I forgot Horgan - he's ok, a bit inconsistent.

The post-split games have been significant and I think we're miles behind the better teams in this league, although PH deserves credit for swatting away weaker teams effectively before the split, something Lennon had lost the ability to do.

Hermit Crab
12-05-2019, 12:20 AM
Everybody is pish!

16 new players please!

Good night on the sauce?

J-C
12-05-2019, 03:22 AM

Nowt to do with the recruitment team, blame lies at Lennon's door, he had final say on all players, we don't actually know who he rejected, he left us with an imbalanced squad with little bite or productivity.

judas
12-05-2019, 07:02 AM

Mallan - Success
Kamberri -success
Hyndman -Fail
Agyepong - Fail
McLaren - Fail
Horgan - Success
Gauld - Fail
Bigrimana - Fail
Johnson - Fail
McNulty - success
Omeonga - Success
Nelom - Fail
Mavrious - Fail

Agree with all of that except, I don’t think Milligan has been a fail nor Kamberi a success. Opinions eh.

eastcoasthibby
12-05-2019, 07:25 AM
While I was pleased to see us get Ryan Gauld in on loan, at the time almost everyone was referring to him as a quality player when in fact he has been tucked away in Portuguese football for 3-4 years making no real impact there at all. Which I find a bit strange giving you would expect to see his development start to show, so when he comes to us, expectations were high, yet he was reverting to a totally different game than he was now used to, and for me mostly through injury which may or may not have been caused by the change in his work environment ! We have seen nothing on the pitch to say that he has the quality that we need ....I suppose my point is that he was given a label of being quality from 4+years ago and for me I can't see that it's justified, so I am not convinced he is what we are looking to spend wages on next season ...as he will demand a decent wage, I just think we need a bit more presence that can play a bit in midfield to go along with Mallan and Allan, as Milligan just isn't mobile enough and Bartley doesn't have the ability and will be off.

sambajustice
12-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Good night on the sauce?

Ha ha, no. Dry sense of humour. We cant be that bad if we finished 5th. Yeah, its lower than last season but look who we lost last summer and all the upheaval and mid season slump we had.

One minute SDG needs a statue then the next he's hardly ever "at it".

Not quite sure what peoples expectations are most of the time!

hibeejeebies
12-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Likewise, would like to see us revisit this.

Hibee Mac
12-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Our players are miles better than the bottom 3-4 teams, roughly the same as the middle teams and not as good as the top 4.

If we want to improve our position next year then I'm afraid the midfield forward needs radical overhaul again. I quite like Milligan (although he's had a poor couple of weeks), I rate Boyle (although I'm a bit concerned how quick he'll still be when he gets back from serious injury) and I think that in the right position with the right players around him Kamberi is a player.

We've been screaming out of Scott Allan since he left.

I'd be in no rush to do anything about the defence or the keeper (although I have a hunch he'll be itching for a move) but as far as I'm concerned every other midfielder and forward can go.

Shaw and Murray are never going to be top 4 players. Mallan has too many deficiencies in his game and is far too inconsistent to play for a top 4 team, ditto Slivka. McNulty has been a passenger for weeks - with a better midfield creating something for him he might be ok but he's certainly not creating anything for himself.

The post-split games have been significant and I think we're miles behind the better teams in this league, although PH deserves credit for swatting away weaker teams effectively before the split, something Lennon had lost the ability to do.

This is a very good post and highlights the main issues with our midfield in particular. I hope Hecky has a clear plan in mind and is able to execute over summer, and I trust he will.

MWHIBBIES
12-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Just the 38 games this season.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Just the 38 games this season.

38 starts? He’s doing better than I thought then.

BlackSheep
12-05-2019, 09:30 AM
I think a lot of folk are being far too harsh on Kamberi... Lennon broke him this season, don’t forget it... I was all for Lennon’s tough love approach to management but when it’s so blatantly failing with certain players then a new approach is needed. Lennon wasn’t great at changing tact.

We saw a great start from Kamberi this season and then a niggling injury and having to play through it brought out the criticism from Lennon. Some young players need an arm round them when their form is low...

Then Lennon left and we saw a player trying to rebuild his confidence only to be played out of position.

I’ll take a mulligan on this campaign when it comes to Flo... on to next year! A league cup full of goals and he’ll be talked about in much higher regard on here.

tamig
12-05-2019, 10:34 AM

A bit too young to expire though. That generally happens to the elderly.

Brightside
12-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Mallan - Success
Kamberri -success
Hyndman -Fail
Agyepong - Fail
McLaren - Fail
Horgan - Success
Gauld - Fail
Bigrimana - Fail
Johnson - Fail
McNulty - success
Omeonga - Success
Nelom - Fail
Mavrious - Fail

How can players that don’t play be a failure. Signed as cover and not required.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2019, 11:33 AM
I wonder what our average finish is over the years, for anyone to describe this season as a failure? :confused:

The Modfather
12-05-2019, 11:43 AM
How can players that don’t play be a failure. Signed as cover and not required.

They’re not very good cover when the manager would rather play players out of position than use them.

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2019, 12:02 PM

I would imagine the recruitment team will have a list of candidates but it depends on what style Hecky wants to impose of his own rather than play within the capabilities of the resources he was left by Lennon.Couple of things...Slivka isn't out of contract and I honestly hope Ollie Shaw is nowhere near our 1st team next season...he needs a season out on loan maybe on championship and he needs to do some bulking up...just not good enough at present and despite McNulty and Flos poor form over the last month or so..he still cant get a start. Tells it's own story I'm afraid

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2019, 12:03 PM

The post-split games have been significant and I think we're miles behind the better teams in this league, although PH deserves credit for swatting away weaker teams effectively before the split, something Lennon had lost the ability to do.Excellent summary for me and spot on

J-C
12-05-2019, 12:18 PM
I wonder what our average finish is over the years, for anyone to describe this season as a failure? :confused:

It was only a failure if we got top 3 every year, we had a good finish to last season and everyone was expecting us to at least make top 4 and push for 3rd again, recruitment was indeed poor and the managers antics din't help.

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2019, 12:23 PM
It was only a failure if we got top 3 every year, we had a good finish to last season and everyone was expecting us to at least make top 4 and push for 3rd again, recruitment was indeed poor and the managers antics din't help.
Did you expect better from this team when a whole midfield of Allan McGeouch, McGinn and Barker left the club at the end of last season, i certainly didnt?

And when you add in Ambrose, i'm quite happy with 5th place and the new man building on this next season.

Brightside
12-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Excellent summary for me and spot on

So our player of the year isn’t good enough for a top 4 team?

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2019, 12:33 PM
So our player of the year isn’t good enough for a top 4 team?Not in my opinion mate no...he goes hiding in far too many games for me. Not my personal choice for player of year neither but there hasn't been much to pick from this season in truth.

CMac1988
12-05-2019, 12:34 PM

This is a fair assessment and pretty much in line with my thoughts.

The midfield is terribly unbalanced. Will Boyle coming back in along with Allan improve things?

With more money in the pot I can't work out how we still haven't managed to replace either of the midfielders we lost last summer, players which we signed when we were in the championship.

sambajustice
12-05-2019, 12:35 PM

I worked it out not all that long ago, i think our average position was somewhere between 7th and 8th over the last 30 years-ish.

We're mediocre pish with delusions of grandeur... :cb

Eyrie
12-05-2019, 12:40 PM
I worked it out not all that long ago, i think our average position was somewhere between 7th and 8th over the last 30 years-ish.

Starting with 1969/70, our average league position is seventh (6.9 for the pedantic).

In both cups our average is last 16 rather than last 8.

I was expecting fifth and last eight when I worked it out, so your delusions comment isn't that far off the mark.

J-C
12-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Did you expect better from this team when a whole midfield of Allan McGeouch, McGinn and Barker left the club at the end of last season, i certainly didnt?

And when you add in Ambrose, i'm quite happy with 5th place and the new man building on this next season.

TBH I was happy with top 6 but at least pushing for 4th, the fact that Lennon had us in 8th is what has annoyed me most, you see from the start that he hadn't recruited properly and had no steel in the middle of the park.

pacoluna
12-05-2019, 12:44 PM
TBH I was happy with top 6 but at least pushing for 4th, the fact that Lennon had us in 8th is what has annoyed me most, you see from the start that he hadn't recruited properly and had no steel in the middle of the park.

4 weeks ago the squad is great, now it's **** and the recruitment was pish.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Just because we have under performed in the past doesn’t mean we should accept it in the future.
We have the 5th biggest budget in the league and the gap in finances is growing between us and the teams below us. Our crowds are double the likes of Killie and Motherwell nowadays.
This season is not a failure for me as we have performed to budget but it is a disappointment that our signings have mostly not worked.
We have to do better than the average 8th place finishes we have since Petrie arrived of course but that should not be the measure of a good/bad season. That should be based on performing in line with our budget.

J-C
12-05-2019, 12:47 PM
4 weeks ago the squad is great, now it's **** and the recruitment was pish.

I have never said the squad was great, I've stated from last summer that the squad was imbalanced and lacked depth in strength but then again you do like to look for my posts and have your usual sly ****ing remarks, it gets very tiring , you're like a creepy stalker.

Smartie
12-05-2019, 12:48 PM
So our player of the year isn’t good enough for a top 4 team?

On a good week he is, but he has far too many poor weeks. You need consistency to finish in the top 4.

He wouldn't get near the Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen squads. Hearts and Killie would have him as a squad player.

If we're aiming for 5th-7th then he's good enough. If we want better then we need better.

It sounds harsh, as he has his moments and has put in some excellent performances but some tough decisions will need to be made if we are to progress.

J-C
12-05-2019, 12:50 PM
On a good week he is, but he has far too many poor weeks. You need consistency to finish in the top 4.

He wouldn't get near the Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen squads. Hearts and Killie would have him as a squad player.

If we're aiming for 5th-7th then he's good enough. If we want better then we need better.

It sounds harsh, as he has his moments and has put in some excellent performances but some tough decisions will need to be made if we are to progress.

And how do you get consistency when the players around you turn in pish performances on a regular basis, too many go missing far too often and it shows by our erratic results this season, flip a coin and see which team turns up.

pacoluna
12-05-2019, 12:51 PM
I have never said the squad was great, I've stated from last summer that the squad was imbalanced and lacked depth in strength but then again you do like to look for my posts and have your usual sly ****ing remarks, it gets very tiring , you're like a creepy stalker.

You were the last person to post, I very rarely post nowadays. This forum is full of ad naus posters like you.

500miles
12-05-2019, 12:53 PM
We need dynamism in the middle. Cadden or Doherty, or Henderson of he's looking to come back to Scotland.

J-C
12-05-2019, 12:56 PM
You were the last person to post, I very rarely post nowadays. This forum is full of ad naus posters like you.

Think you mean Ad Nauseam.

If you've grown tired of it don't read or even reply to the thread, it's that simple.

Some of us like to discuss the club, what has went wrong and where can we improve for next season, it's what happens on fans message boards you know.

pacoluna
12-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Think you mean Ad Nauseam.

If you've grown tired of it don't read or even reply to the thread, it's that simple.

Some of us like to discuss the club, what has went wrong and where can we improve for next season, it's what happens on fans message boards you know.

It's the same bias though so nothing is constructive.

I'm sorry for abbreviating as nauseam.

Heisenberg
12-05-2019, 01:01 PM
We need dynamism in the middle. Cadden or Doherty, or Henderson of he's looking to come back to Scotland.

Exactly what we miss. We’ve no proper energy in midfield when we’ve got Milligan and Mallan in the middle.

Smartie
12-05-2019, 01:05 PM
And how do you get consistency when the players around you turn in pish performances on a regular basis, too many go missing far too often and it shows by our erratic results this season, flip a coin and see which team turns up.

It's a fair point, but good players can still turn in consistent personal performances in poor and average teams.

I fully accept that we have often put teams out this season that do not play to Mallan's strengths.

J-C
12-05-2019, 01:07 PM
It's the same bias though so nothing is constructive.

I'm sorry for abbreviating as nauseam.

What bias expand?

How can we be constructive as we have no powers as to what happens to our club, we have opinions which not all will agree with. At this moment in time we've had a poorish season compared to last, expectations were high and we all looked forward to the season. We knew we were losing that midfield but the majority expected at least Allan to be signed, which didn't happen and we ended up with a weaker squad and a manager who decided half way through the season he wanted out. Lots to discuss and mull over, most of the time it'll sound like a good old moan and it probably is but with so much to look forward to and what we ended up with, we are entitled to a wee moan.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Exactly what we miss. We’ve no proper energy in midfield when we’ve got Milligan and Mallan in the middle.

Instead of going for the ageing Milligan last summer, how much better of would we have been if we had went for Glen Kamara when he was at Dundee?

J-C
12-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Instead of going for the ageing Milligan last summer, how much better of would we have been if we had went for Glen Kamara when he was at Dundee?

Especially when you see the way he's performed recently.

pacoluna
12-05-2019, 01:14 PM
What bias expand?

How can we be constructive as we have no powers as to what happens to our club, we have opinions which not all will agree with. At this moment in time we've had a poorish season compared to last, expectations were high and we all looked forward to the season. We knew we were losing that midfield but the majority expected at least Allan to be signed, which didn't happen and we ended up with a weaker squad and a manager who decided half way through the season he wanted out. Lots to discuss and mull over, most of the time it'll sound like a good old moan and it probably is but with so much to look forward to and what we ended up with, we are entitled to a wee moan.

Fair enough, I'm just not 💯 convinced with hecky. I think our football has at times been very pedestrian and the 1st halves have been particularly poor, the response this opinion usually generates involves the mentioning of lennon even though i don't hive a toss about him now.

Smartie
12-05-2019, 01:19 PM

Not sure why I think this, but the Milligan transfer felt more to me like a Lennon signing.

Kamara was the type of player we signed to great effect under Stubbs.

J-C
12-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Fair enough, I'm just not 💯 convinced with hecky. I think our football has at times been very pedestrian and the 1st halves have been particularly poor, the response this opinion usually generates involves the mentioning of lennon even though i don't hive a toss about him now.

We've been pedestrian all season and our 1st halves have been like that too, we don't have a lot of pace in the middle and losing Boyle was big, also Agyepong's injuries haven't helped. Heckingbottom has done fairly well with what he had, you can't really judge him until he gets his own players and style of football, his main aim was to get that top 6 which he did.

J-C
12-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Not sure why I think this, but the Milligan transfer felt more to me like a Lennon signing.

Kamara was the type of player we signed to great effect under Stubbs.

I wonder if Lennon just wasn't all that coach wise, a lot easier getting in older experienced players who you don't have to over coach, they sort of know the game already, if you know what I mean.

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2019, 01:55 PM
And how do you get consistency when the players around you turn in pish performances on a regular basis, too many go missing far too often and it shows by our erratic results this season, flip a coin and see which team turns up.Mallan is one of the main culprits of going missing on a regular basis tho?? I forgot he was still on pitch yesterday till he took a free kick 10 mins from time...and that's certainly not the first time I've felt like that about him this season. If it wasnt for the start he had with all the goals in the first 2 months...he wouldn't have been near player of the year awards...has performed really poorly since Oct onwards imo

Keith_M
12-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Fair enough, I'm just not �� convinced with hecky. I think our football has at times been very pedestrian and the 1st halves have been particularly poor....

I like Hecky but think your perfectly entitled to your opinion and can see where you're coming from.

It's probably a bit over the top, but there's been times when I've been reminded of the Bertie Auld era.

Borderhibbie76
12-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Fair enough, I'm just not [emoji817] convinced with hecky. I think our football has at times been very pedestrian and the 1st halves have been particularly poor, the response this opinion usually generates involves the mentioning of lennon even though i don't hive a toss about him now.We are 5th and Lennon left is in 8th so not sure how u can question Hecky at this stage when he hasn't even had a window yet...bizarre stuff mate tbh

Added to that we went of a 10 match unbeaten league run with approx 14 fit senior players. I think hes done better than we could have hoped so far.

I agree it's not always been pretty but needs must etc and let's see what he does with a full pre season and transfer window before properly judging him no??

Tug Wilson
12-05-2019, 02:09 PM
The league table does not lie. We are the 5th best team in the league.

Celtic have the strongest squad but The Rangers have definitely improved. Celtic will need to get a better manager than Lennon in and rejig some of their squad. How Gerrard progresses The Rangers will be interesting.

Aberdeen have issues to sort out. Killie are definitely a team performing above the squad they have.

I have a feeling that Heckingbottom is the sort of manager, like Clarke, who will look to make Hibs better than the sum of their parts. I suspect that recruitment will target players to fit a system rather than marquee signings.

If we can compete with Aberdeen and Kilmarnock for 3rd, 4th and 5th next season then we should be satisfied.

Our neighbours? Who knows? Who cares?

blackpoolhibs
12-05-2019, 04:19 PM

The recruitment from the very start had us 2nd for a while, and maybe im wrong but did we not have a game where we could have gone top at some stage? :confused:

The recruitment at the start had us play longer in Europe than we have in years, I never expected us to compete for 4th this season after losing what we did, although after the start we had i was beginning to think we might.

There's no doubt Lennon fell out with some players, but we cant start picking holes in the bad results and ignore the good ones we had under him.

If you think this team should have done better and challenged for Europe or 4th place, how is this possible with a team that has not recruited properly and have no steel in the middle of the park yet came close under a new manager?

Perhaps the players could also be to blame for short changing the fans with their down tool performances?

Tarrahib
12-05-2019, 04:47 PM

A lot of posters on here last year were saying that Kamara was not good enough fo Hibs.

Smartie
12-05-2019, 04:49 PM
The recruitment from the very start had us 2nd for a while, and maybe im wrong but did we not have a game where we could have gone top at some stage? :confused:

The recruitment at the start had us play longer in Europe than we have in years, I never expected us to compete for 4th this season after losing what we did, although after the start we had i was beginning to think we might.

There's no doubt Lennon fell out with some players, but we cant start picking holes in the bad results and ignore the good ones we had under him.

If you think this team should have done better and challenged for Europe or 4th place, how is this possible with a team that has not recruited properly and have no steel in the middle of the park yet came close under a new manager?

Perhaps the players could also be to blame for short changing the fans with their down tool performances?

The criticism should be the imbalanced nature of the squad, the fact that we lacked cover and struggled so badly once got a few injuries.

When did we last have keepers play as well as our 2 did this season? Over the course of the season our defence has been more than adequate. Mallan and McNulty have had decent goal scoring spells.

There were undoubtedly positives throughout much of the season, probably other than that diabolical October/ November run.

The recruitment just about got pass marks over the course of the season. Whether or not they are doing enough with "biggest ever budgets" is open to debate.

It's far from being the worst season we've had though.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2019, 06:15 PM
A lot of posters on here last year were saying that Kamara was not good enough fo Hibs.

Very strange. He was a very obvious replacement for mcgeogh.

bigwheel
12-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Tbh. This place is regularly a great place for mad views on players. I recall three seasons ago people laughing at the idea of bringing back Stephen Dobbie ... there will be many examples of that ...

Always a good laugh ..

J-C
12-05-2019, 07:23 PM

I think McGinn factor helped our wee Europa venture, we really struggled when he left and Milligan took an age finally sign. Having 3 players go missing for Australia didn't help but that should've been taken into account.

Lennon lost the dressing room, that's a given and the players do need to stand up and be counted, they were just not good enough at times.

This squad were not good enough to challenge top 4 but after the previous season, you would have wanted them to be at least good enough to do so.

Ozyhibby
12-05-2019, 07:43 PM
I think McGinn factor helped our wee Europa venture, we really struggled when he left and Milligan took an age finally sign. Having 3 players go missing for Australia didn't help but that should've been taken into account.

Lennon lost the dressing room, that's a given and the players do need to stand up and be counted, they were just not good enough at times.

This squad were not good enough to challenge top 4 but after the previous season, you would have wanted them to be at least good enough to do so.

Knowing that we needed a holding mid all summer and not getting one until after the window closed and who was going to be away for over a month mid season looks like pretty bad planning.

tamig
12-05-2019, 08:20 PM
The criticism should be the imbalanced nature of the squad, the fact that we lacked cover and struggled so badly once got a few injuries.

When did we last have keepers play as well as our 2 did this season? Over the course of the season our defence has been more than adequate. Mallan and McNulty have had decent goal scoring spells.

There were undoubtedly positives throughout much of the season, probably other than that diabolical October/ November run.

The recruitment just about got pass marks over the course of the season. Whether or not they are doing enough with "biggest ever budgets" is open to debate.

It's far from being the worst season we've had though.

“They” being the recruitment team I take it? The recruitment team do a great job but they can’t force transfers through. NL chose the players we signed. He didn’t really buy into the recruitment team model. The recruitment team seem to be a lazy and easy target for quite a few folk when they reach the conclusion that some of our signings have been poor.

JimBHibees
13-05-2019, 03:54 PM

Out of they three I think only Docherty would fit the bill as a central midfielder with energy.

Ozyhibby
14-05-2019, 10:38 AM

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/is-rangers-midfielder-glen-kamara-the-signing-of-the-season-1-4926536/amp?__twitter_impression=true