PDA

View Full Version : Awful lyrics

Glory Lurker
08-05-2019, 09:26 PM
I heard “The Lebanon” by The Human League today for the first time in ages. In fact, I can’t have heard it since I was wee, otherwise i’d have been aware before now just how terrible the lyrics are. It’s like a 14 year old’s poem. Cracking tune - simple, but great bass line and thrilling guitar - but, my god the words make it almost unlistenable.

And of course it’s not alone. What are your top stinker lyrics?

danhibees1875
09-05-2019, 06:44 AM
Bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle, bicycle, bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

:greengrin

Hiber-nation
09-05-2019, 06:55 AM
The Members - Solitary Confinement. Great tune but....

On your own
By yourself
On your own
By yourself
By yourself
By yourself
By yourself
By yourself
By yourself
By yourself
By yourself
By yourself
Buy yourself this record

:boo hoo:

JeMeSouviens
09-05-2019, 09:45 AM
The Stone Roses' (should've been strangled at birth) comeback single.

"If we all join hands we'll make a wall"

ffs

Peevemor
09-05-2019, 11:35 AM
The closing lines in Joan Osborne's "What if God Was One of Us".

Nobody callin' on the phone
'Cept for the Pope maybe in Rome

HappyAsHellas
09-05-2019, 11:36 AM
I think it was by Laurie Anderson? The lyric is

Superman ah ah ah ah............repeat ad infinitum

Smartie
09-05-2019, 03:14 PM
The Stone Roses' (should've been strangled at birth) comeback single.

"If we all join hands we'll make a wall"

ffs

I didn't think that was that bad a song - the lyrics were atrocious, and if they'd spent a bit more time getting them right then it would have been a different story.

"I love you from the bottom of my pencil case" always got on my nerves. Terrible start to a song.

Peevemor
09-05-2019, 03:25 PM
I didn't think that was that bad a song - the lyrics were atrocious, and if they'd spent a bit more time getting them right then it would have been a different story.

"I love you from the bottom of my pencil case" always got on my nerves. Terrible start to a song.

That was deliberate. The whole song's about writing crap songs.

Mibbes Aye
10-05-2019, 12:35 AM
‘Ironic’ by Alanis Morissette.

Unless her whole point was she was being ironic with the lyrics, in which case she may have got away with it :greengrin

Greentinted
10-05-2019, 02:54 AM
“I’ll tell you what I want, What I really really want”
And...
“I am the one and only”

Hibrandenburg
10-05-2019, 05:36 AM
I heard “The Lebanon” by The Human League today for the first time in ages. In fact, I can’t have heard it since I was wee, otherwise i’d have been aware before now just how terrible the lyrics are. It’s like a 14 year old’s poem. Cracking tune - simple, but great bass line and thrilling guitar - but, my god the words make it almost unlistenable.

And of course it’s not alone. What are your top stinker lyrics?

Guess what song kept me awake last night? Thanks for that :greengrin

Fwiw I don't think you can separate lyrics from music in a song and interpretate them as good or bad on their own. Either they fit or they don't.

Glory Lurker
11-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Guess what song kept me awake last night? Thanks for that :greengrin

Fwiw I don't think you can separate lyrics from music in a song and interpretate them as good or bad on their own. Either they fit or they don't.

Great tune, though :greengrin

I probably spoil it for myself because I do focus on the lyrics. Spent too much of my teens listening intently to the words of songs for right-on declarations I could quote on my jotter covers, and earnest declarations of commitment I could try to impress girls with :faf:. It got me in to the way of considering the lyrics the same way as I take I need the voice and the instruments. Not to say that i’ll not like a song just because it has brutal lyrics, but I find it impossible to ignore.

RoslinInstHibby
21-05-2019, 10:57 AM
"lucky that my breasts are small and humble, so that you don't confuse them with mountains" has to be up there as one of the worst ever....