PDA

View Full Version : An interesting piece on the Crystal Palace Ultras (Potential Hibs content)

Chorley Hibee
08-05-2019, 04:26 PM
A really interesting watch, particularly given their upcoming move to directly behind the goal that they have forced upon the CPFC hierarchy.

https://youtu.be/1IaXxZ6Vlzw

I do hope that Hibs start paying attention to the potential this has, and how it could be of benefit to the club as a whole.

Itsnoteasy
08-05-2019, 04:53 PM
A really interesting watch, particularly given their upcoming move to directly behind the goal that they have forced upon the CPFC hierarchy.

I do hope that Hibs start paying attention to the potential this has, and how it could be of benefit to the club as a whole.

We do not have enough "ultras" for this to work.

SChibs
08-05-2019, 04:56 PM
We do not have enough "ultras" for this to work.

What about all these singers in the east stand we always here about on this forum after almost every home game?

Easter road has brilliant potential for a great section behind the goals but not enough people are willing to give it a go. If the current singing section was packed out every week and started spilling into the next section and continued to grow it would give the club something to think about.

lyonhibs
08-05-2019, 05:01 PM
The part about long standing season ticket holders being booted out of seats they've had for ages and like is key to me. Shouldn't happen IMO. Support and songs when organic from the stands are by far my preference tbh though I know many may not agree.

Itsnoteasy
08-05-2019, 05:04 PM

They boycotted the club until they got what they wanted.
This will now affect season ticket holders, who have been asked to move to accommodate them. We have already disrupted season ticket holders & it shouldn't happen again.

We didn't have the singing section, big flags, smoke bombs or flares when we played AEK at Easter Road & that was some £eck1ng atmosphere that night.

Keith_M
08-05-2019, 05:10 PM
This will now affect season ticket holders, who have been asked to move to accommodate them. We have already disrupted season ticket holders & it shouldn't happen again.

So they basically threw a tantrum and the club gave in?

Wow!

SChibs
08-05-2019, 05:25 PM

We didn't have the singing section, big flags, smoke bombs or flares when we played AEK at Easter Road & that was some £eck1ng atmosphere that night.

Easter road couldn't be farther from the atmosphere that night these days that's the problem. Changes need to be made.

Creating a better atmosphere on match day would enhance season ticket sales imo

Sammy7nil
08-05-2019, 05:28 PM
The part about long standing season ticket holders being booted out of seats they've had for ages and like is key to me. Shouldn't happen IMO. Support and songs when organic from the stands are by far my preference tbh though I know many may not agree.

I would agree with you BUT it simply does not happen often enough these days. Without guys signing from that section most match days would like watching while sitting in a library.

Keith_M
08-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Easter road couldn't be farther from the atmosphere that night these days that's the problem. Changes need to be made.

I definitely agree with that.

If we could find a way to fix that without p1ssing off existing Season Ticket holders, I'd be all in favour.

Chuck Rhoades
08-05-2019, 05:37 PM
I don’t think any change will be made. Next season will be another year of deterioration. Would love to be wrong. Due to lack of progress you’ll find current SS far emptier with people opting to move away, resulting in those interested in creating an atmosphere further spread out / disjointed.

A meeting with those still involved and the club was due months ago, but looks as though it’s all a one-sided affair.

Shame. Something decent had been built.

lyonhibs
08-05-2019, 05:39 PM
I definitely agree with that.

If we could find a way to fix that without p1ssing off existing Season Ticket holders, I'd be all in favour.

Sign me up to this as well :agree:

Weegreenman
08-05-2019, 05:46 PM
There seems to be a lot of people who are quite happy to sit in what has become a library atmosphere at Easter Road these days!
Any mention of change brings a ( oh ye canny do that ) attitude.
Something needs to change soon because it’ll end up chasing people from the club. Even the Edinburgh Derby has been poor of late for atmosphere!

Im all for change if it’ll bring a better atmosphere! :flag:

hibeerealist
08-05-2019, 05:55 PM
O

I think most of us would like to see (and hear) the singing section in the FF lower where they should be. Yes, the season ticket holders in there will feel pushed out however if it is for the club/players benefit in terms of creating a really good atmosphere why would these ST holders complain especially if the club coordinate matters and get those ST holders settled elsewhere in the ground?

I have been to Palace many times and their singing section in the Holmsdale creates a great atmosphere, most tv and radio commentators who travel around commentating at games raise the issue of it being best atmosphere at any of the grounds and they have some big supports down there. The singing section are also praised for the atmosphere they create at away games.

Send this YouTube link to Leanne she really needs to take a look at this as I am sure it will benefit the atmosphere at ER for all games not just the OF or derbies, the bonus is the hoped for/expected effect on the players.

Worth us looking at this and I second the many posters who have raised this previously.

MSK
08-05-2019, 05:57 PM
The part about long standing season ticket holders being booted out of seats they've had for ages and like is key to me. Shouldn't happen IMO. Support and songs when organic from the stands are by far my preference tbh though I know many may not agree.Yip, agree with that, we are happy where we are and dont want to move 👍

Sammy7nil
08-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Yip, agree with that, we are happy where we are and dont want to move 👍

You would not move if you got a good seat in another area if it was in the best interests of the club?

Chorley Hibee
08-05-2019, 06:08 PM
O

I think most of us would like to see (and hear) the singing section in the FF lower where they should be. Yes, the season ticket holders in there will feel pushed out however if it is for the club/players benefit in terms of creating a really good atmosphere why would these ST holders complain especially if the club coordinate matters and get those ST holders settled elsewhere in the ground?

I have been to Palace many times and their singing section in the Holmsdale creates a great atmosphere, most tv and radio commentators who travel around commentating at games raise the issue of it being best atmosphere at any of the grounds and they have some big supports down there. The singing section are also praised for the atmosphere they create at away games.

Send this YouTube link to Leanne she really needs to take a look at this as I am sure it will benefit the atmosphere at ER for all games not just the OF or derbies, the bonus is the hoped for/expected effect on the players.

Worth us looking at this and I second the many posters who have raised this previously.

Agree with everything you say. It's unfortunate that some people will be relocated, but everything changes, and this has the potential to be for the benefit of us all.

A passionate, vibrant and colourful atmosphere that draws further support and in turn could create a more successful club.

It's something we should all relate to.

PatHead
08-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Asked this before but never had an answer. How many fans are in the singing section?

TelaStella
08-05-2019, 06:18 PM
O

I think most of us would like to see (and hear) the singing section in the FF lower where they should be.

Never understood where this opinion comes from, it’s almost as if they have some sort of right to that area, why? Better on the cameras? More European like etc I get all that but the East stand has always been the side of Easter Road where the most active and loud support has originated and flourished from, not the famous five either it be up in that corner or behind the goals. I always thought the current group fitted well down in their old area at the bottom of the east and would guess it would most likely benefit them as well, perhaps bringing them back closer to more likeminded fans. Doubt the club would allow it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TelaStella
08-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Sammy7nil
08-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Never understood where this opinion comes from, it’s almost as if they have some sort of right to that area, why? Better on the cameras? More European like etc I get all that but the East stand has always been the side of Easter Road where the most active and loud support has originated and flourished from, not the famous five either it be up in that corner or behind the goals. I always thought the current group fitted well down in their old area at the bottom of the east and would guess it would most likely benefit them as well, perhaps bringing them back closer to more likeminded fans. Doubt the club would allow it though

I suppose it depends if you think about the long_term future of the club or are content to watch our games being poorly marketed and a slow decline in the match day experience for the vast majority of the support and ultimately costing the club money.

MSK
08-05-2019, 06:27 PM
You would not move if you got a good seat in another area if it was in the best interests of the club?Nope, kids like where we are

Sammy7nil
08-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Nope, kids like where we are

Believe it or not they won't be kids for ever most kids are more resilient than we think and often enjoy change. Particularly when it is not a major change in their routine.

Chorley Hibee
08-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Many of us on here have experienced the enjoyment of German football, and my own match experience there couldn't be further from what it currently is at Easter Road.

Full stadiums, raucous atmosphere, ultras, reasonably priced tickets, free public transport, quality selection of food and drink available, family events outside the stadium etc, etc (even pyrotechnics 😱)

Scottish football is miles behind the times, and I would hope that Hibs might be at the vanguard of change.

Pretty Boy
08-05-2019, 06:32 PM
I had to move last time fans were 'asked' to do so to accommodate the singing section. It was a struggle to get decent seats together for our group and an elderly guy we had sat next to for years decided that was as good a time as any to give up going altogether. I know at least 2 other groups who faced similar struggles getting suitable seats together.

I understand why the decision was made to put the section where it is but groups who purchased STs in that area, many who had been there for over a decade, were never involved in any of the consultation that led to the decision being made and were informed by a rather curt and to the point letter. I thought it was a poor way to treat loyal fans then but I had no choice but to go along with it. I'd still feel it's a poor way to treat fans now even if it has no direct impact on me this time.

HappyAsHellas
08-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Quite simply put, sound travels in much the same way as sight, the goals being the focal point of everyone in the stadium. Hence 50 Dumbarton fans could be heard quite clearly as they all knew to stand at the point nearest the goals in the away section. Also why people in the East can't hear the singing section as they can't see them. All the singing at ER was in the cave or cow shed behind the goals, long before the East was converted.

GreenCastle
08-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Agreed - typical Scottish football short sightedness.

We should be promoting our game and the atmosphere.

I understand the part about people moving who have sat there for a while. But does the section not change when kids get adult tickets ?

I also think they could still find a compromise - even give up the middle section of the current 5 and see how it goes.

With the amount of empty seats - do a 1st come 1st served unreserved seating on match days.

I understand fans who buy tickets to show support to club and don’t attend - also fans who only attend a few games - I don’t want to annoy them or long standing season ticket holders but there is also the bigger picture.

We want the team to do well and that means the best support for them every week.

Fans can also move to East or West Lower.

Jobs seem determined not to do anything to help match day experience and that includes tannoy and crap food on offer.

GreenCastle
08-05-2019, 06:38 PM
I had to move last time fans were 'asked' to do so to accommodate the singing section. It was a struggle to get decent seats together for our group and an elderly guy we had sat next to for years decided that was as good a time as any to give up going altogether. I know at least 2 other groups who faced similar struggles getting suitable seats together.

I understand why the decision was made to put the section where it is but groups who purchased STs in that area, many who had been there for over a decade, were never involved in any of the consultation that led to the decision being made and were informed by a rather curt and to the point letter. I thought it was a poor way to treat loyal fans then but I had no choice but to go along with it. I'd still feel it's a poor way to treat fans now even if it has no direct impact on me this time.

That’s fair enough but if they move to lower you should get priority to get your seats back.

Chuck Rhoades
08-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Asked this before but never had an answer. How many fans are in the singing section?

280 STs. 30 or so actively involved in the wider piece - displays and so forth.

Chuck Rhoades
08-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Think we’ve discussed a few times, but again agree with everything you’ve said. Those involved were told ALL impacted fans had been consulted and spoken to. Left SS red faced when posting such on here only to be corrected. Own goal from the club.

TelaStella
08-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Quite simply put, sound travels in much the same way as sight, the goals being the focal point of everyone in the stadium. Hence 50 Dumbarton fans could be heard quite clearly as they all knew to stand at the point nearest the goals in the away section. Also why people in the East can't hear the singing section as they can't see them. All the singing at ER was in the cave or cow shed behind the goals, long before the East was converted.

I don’t doubt the noise potential of being behind the goals but we’ve all seen just how good an atmosphere has been generated previously with the east at the helm. I take your last point as well but you’re going back at least 30 years ago.

Pretty Boy
08-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Think we’ve discussed a few times, but again agree with everything you’ve said. Those involved were told ALL impacted fans had been consulted and spoken to. Left SS red faced when posting such on here only to be corrected. Own goal from the club.

Absolutely not a dig at you guys (not that I'm suggesting you took it that way).

I've said countless times the whole area of ticketing and match/day fan experience is the one area in which LD recently has yet to get it right at Hibs. That impacts various groups and it seems the status quo is the safe ground for the club currently.

HibeeHibernian4
08-05-2019, 06:50 PM

It was a great night, and it's never been repeated again, which should tell you something about the usual ineffectiveness of a Hibs (or any British) crowd that doesn't have ultras.

Itsnoteasy
08-05-2019, 07:32 PM
So they basically threw a tantrum and the club gave in?

Wow!

That's what the guy in the video said. They stopped going to the games & the club gave them what they were after.

SChibs
08-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Why is it in places like Germany or Holland there are thousands of fans willing to sing every week and generate at atmosphere at similar sized clubs to Hibs?

In Scotland each club only has 00s rather than 000s willing to shout and sing to get behind the team at games. Are they more passionate? Or in Scotland do we see going to the football like the theatre where you go to be entertained rather than going to show support?

HibeeHibernian4
08-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Why is it in places like Germany or Holland there are thousands of fans willing to sing every week and generate at atmosphere at similar sized clubs to Hibs?

In Scotland each club only has 00s rather than 000s willing to shout and sing to get behind the team at games. Are they more passionate? Or in Scotland do we see going to the football like the theatre where you go to be entertained rather than going to show support?

Think that's the case, by and large.

The amount of people who just sit idly on their phones.