PDA

View Full Version : Efe Ambrose return...........

RG04
08-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Anybody else take him back???

Is yet to feature in a match day squad for Derby!!!

Pretty Boy
08-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Anyone who wouldn't take Ambrose back needs their head examined.

Absolute class act.

Stokesy's on fire
08-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Without any hesitation i would take him back.

Alex Trager
08-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Absolute class act.

Absolutely this.

The 90+2
08-05-2019, 09:05 AM
I think that ship has sailed.

bingo70
08-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Absolute class act.

I wonder if there’s a bigger picture to be considered though.

Clearly he’s a very very good player but I think it was common knowledge he wasn’t the most reliable, I think even the players or Lennon spoke about his time keeping at training etc...

To me the new regime looks like it’s all going to be about team work and a hard working ethos. Efe doesn’t seem to me like someone that would enjoy that environment. I couldn’t see Heckingbottom letting him stroll in when he wants.

Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s a factor in him not getting a look in at Derby either.

Sir David Gray
08-05-2019, 09:13 AM
I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

I can't see it happening though.

BILLYHIBS
08-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Read somewhere that Hecky was interested in speaking to Craig Bryson but Lampard has offered him a contract extension

I know it’s a no news day

Since452
08-05-2019, 09:41 AM
One of the best players I've seen in a Hibs shirt. Be mad not to take him back if he fancied it.

Smartie
08-05-2019, 09:48 AM
You'd be mad not to take him back based on his performances - he was superb.

I just have a nagging doubt about him. Something about us as a team changed in January. It might be Lennon departing, it might be PH arriving, it was probably mainly down to the arrivals of Omeonga and McNulty.

I just wonder whether Efe was always a positive influence. He took the piss on a few occasions and showed disrespect towards a manager who holds him in high regard and has given him opportunities.

I remember a Porteous interview earlier this season where he was gushing with praise about Daz, very positive about Hanlon but lukewarm about Efe.

Quality player - I just have a nagging doubt.

The Modfather
08-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Yes, although not to the detriment of Porteous’ progression. Although every chance those 2 could be the first choice pairing again.

Can’t see it happening though.

hibby rae
08-05-2019, 10:08 AM
You'd be mad not to take him back based on his performances - he was superb.

I just have a nagging doubt about him. Something about us as a team changed in January. It might be Lennon departing, it might be PH arriving, it was probably mainly down to the arrivals of Omeonga and McNulty.

I just wonder whether Efe was always a positive influence. He took the piss on a few occasions and showed disrespect towards a manager who holds him in high regard and has given him opportunities.

I remember a Porteous interview earlier this season where he was gushing with praise about Daz, very positive about Hanlon but lukewarm about Efe.

Quality player - I just have a nagging doubt.

On the flipside of that though, iirc he was full of praise for Efe after we beat Celtic.

MrRobot
08-05-2019, 10:26 AM
On the flipside of that though, iirc he was full of praise for Efe after we beat Celtic.

:agree:

neil7908
08-05-2019, 10:45 AM
I don't follow much of the English Championship but really surprising Effe can't even make the match day squad. I know it's a step up but surely not that big?

sauzee=legend
08-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Did derby not have some sort of transfer ban hanging them....
Hence why it took so long for Shinnie to sign his pre contract with them?
Maybe Efe wasn’t able to register to play until this summer?

cabbageandribs1875
08-05-2019, 10:57 AM
and what position would SDG play

The 90+2
08-05-2019, 10:59 AM

He only signed a deal until the summer?

cabbageandribs1875
08-05-2019, 11:04 AM

and pay him for 5 months just to hang around ?

sauzee=legend
08-05-2019, 11:05 AM
My mistake - I thought it was 18month contract.
Hold my hands up, I was wrong.

J-C
08-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Took a wage cut to come but it helped get his Visa, disappointed he left giving us zero money in doing so, also as been mentioned he wasn't a great time keeper and pissed off a few players due to that.

jax67
08-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Without any hesitation i would take him back.

In a heartbeat 💚

SouthMoroccoStu
08-05-2019, 11:19 AM
and pay him for 5 months just to hang around ?

Bolton aren’t paying anyone right now

Aim Here
08-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Only downside to getting Efe back is that he's roughly the same age as SDG, Daz, and Lewis, and they're all nearing the end of their playing careers.

If most of our back line all end up retiring from the first team squad at the same time then we might end up having to play with an entire back line that has to learn to play with each other, and with the rest of the team, from scratch. All other things being equal, it'd be better to phase in younger players one or two at a time, so there's some continuity.

That said, not all other things are equal. Bring Efe Home!

danhibees1875
08-05-2019, 11:25 AM
and what position would SDG play

That's the dilemma with Boyle returning and what formation we play.

Rocky
Ambrose Hanlon Porteous
SDG Omeonga Allan Mallan Lewis
Boyle Kamberi

I don't think Ambrose will come back though and we'll go into next year with 4 at the back and Boyle wide.

Steven79
08-05-2019, 11:33 AM

What have Bolton got to do with anything?

CMurdoch
08-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Only downside to getting Efe back is that he's roughly the same age as SDG, Daz, and Lewis, and they're all nearing the end of their playing careers.

If most of our back line all end up retiring from the first team squad at the same time then we might end up having to play with an entire back line that has to learn to play with each other, and with the rest of the team, from scratch. All other things being equal, it'd be better to phase in younger players one or two at a time, so there's some continuity.

That said, not all other things are equal. Bring Efe Home!

McGregor who will be 34 at the start of the new season is the only one that is close to retiring from playing.
Can't see Efe coming back.
Will end up going to Asia to play for a pot of cash.
We got a couple of good seasons out of a great player on a free transfer.
It was great while it lasted.

BILLYHIBS
08-05-2019, 11:45 AM
McGregor who will be 34 at the start of the new season is the only one that is close to retiring from playing.
Can't see Efe coming back.
Will end up going to Asia to play for a pot of cash.
We got a couple of good seasons out of a great player on a free transfer.
It was great while it lasted.
:agree:

Just like the Dylan and Jase chat...exhausting. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
08-05-2019, 12:14 PM

i honestly don't think Efe would have signed up for a Boilton-Style contract :)

That's the dilemma with Boyle returning and what formation we play.

Rocky
Ambrose Hanlon Porteous
SDG Omeonga Allan Mallan Lewis
Boyle Kamberi

I don't think Ambrose will come back though and we'll go into next year with 4 at the back and Boyle wide.

not a bad team/set-up that :greengrin but Efe won't be back..imo, and i think Omeonga has been playing just too well for us not to get noticed elsewhere, also Genoa paid 1.6m for him just last year, they're going to want a return on that investment i would think

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2019, 12:21 PM
I don't follow much of the English Championship but really surprising Effe can't even make the match day squad. I know it's a step up but surely not that big?

It’s not a step up - you just get paid more for doing it.

The 90+2
08-05-2019, 12:33 PM
It’s not a step up - you just get paid more for doing it.

Derby in the playoffs for the EPL must be a bit of a step up from what he left us at tbh.

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Derby in the playoffs for the EPL must be a bit of a step up from what he left us at tbh.

That’s the perception.

BILLYHIBS
08-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Would fancy us versus Derby tbh watched them in the Championship this season and they were merde

:greengrin

FWIW would also fancy us versus Bolton

:greengrin

Speedy
08-05-2019, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't be too fussed. Good individual player but he didn't leave in the best circumstances and I actually think we've been better defensively with the current lot.

silverhibee
08-05-2019, 01:27 PM

Clearly he’s a very very good player but I think it was common knowledge he wasn’t the most reliable, I think even the players or Lennon spoke about his time keeping at training etc...

To me the new regime looks like it’s all going to be about team work and a hard working ethos. Efe doesn’t seem to me like someone that would enjoy that environment. I couldn’t see Heckingbottom letting him stroll in when he wants.

Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s a factor in him not getting a look in at Derby either.

If Lennon gets the Celtc job permanently it would surprise me if Effe ends up back at Celtc.

BILLYHIBS
08-05-2019, 01:34 PM
If Lennon gets the Celtc job permanently it would surprise me if Effe ends up back at Celtc.

It would surprise me as well :greengrin

eastmainsmsh
08-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Best centre half we have had in years

Smartie
08-05-2019, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't be too fussed. Good individual player but he didn't leave in the best circumstances and I actually think we've been better defensively with the current lot.

There's not much wrong without current defensive unit.

The unit is greater than the sum of the parts as well.

The 90+2
08-05-2019, 02:01 PM
There's not much wrong without current defensive unit.

The unit is greater than the sum of the parts as well.

Who drops out for Ryan?

08-05-2019, 02:05 PM

We could build a sliding scale of fines for lateness into his contract and maybe recoup half of his salary.

BILLYHIBS
08-05-2019, 02:15 PM
I heard that Spector will be getting asked to stay on

His wife likes it here

:dunno:

Smartie
08-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Who drops out for Ryan?

On current form, nobody.

He'll need to wait for his chance and then become the player that can't be dislodged.

Paul Hanlob was looking a bit shaky a few weeks back. He would have been lucky to keep his place if we'd had Porteous chomping at the bit on the sidelines.

Ronniekirk
08-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Anybody else take him back???

Is yet to feature in a match day squad for Derby!!!

Heckingbottom may have different ideas and his own players he wants to bring in
He was on a consistent run when he left We can’t match his wages now so doubt it’s even a possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
08-05-2019, 02:33 PM
On current form, nobody.

He'll need to wait for his chance and then become the player that can't be dislodged.

Paul Hanlob was looking a bit shaky a few weeks back. He would have been lucky to keep his place if we'd had Porteous chomping at the bit on the sidelines.

Paul Hanlob 😂 could have been a lot worse I suppose.

Tarrahib
08-05-2019, 03:04 PM
It's only a step up if you are actually playing for the team you have signed for.

Keith_M
08-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Sooo, he's not actually returning then.

Weegreenman
08-05-2019, 05:49 PM
I don’t think we should go backwards and sign players of old. I’m all about bringing new fresh faces. Efe had his time, it’s time to move on. NO! :cb

The 90+2
08-05-2019, 05:52 PM
It's only a step up if you are actually playing for the team you have signed for.

It’s also a step up in competition for positions.

California-Hibs
09-05-2019, 12:17 AM
We were SO lucky to sign him in the first place. Fantastic player!

Todi114
09-05-2019, 05:41 AM
I expect our new manager to cast his net a bit wider than ex Celtic players

Allant1981
09-05-2019, 05:45 AM

To be fair all those ex Celtic players done well for us

JimboHibs
09-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Equally wouldnt surprise me that the above has no bearing on him being in the match day squad.

rodhibs55
09-05-2019, 09:30 AM
I don’t think we should go backwards and sign players of old. I’m all about bringing new fresh faces. Efe had his time, it’s time to move on. NO! :cb

Like Scotty Allan ?
Like many others, I would take Effe back in a second. Total quality worth the entrance money alone.

bingo70
09-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Equally wouldnt surprise me that the above has no bearing on him being in the match day squad.

Do you think it’s just down to ability then he never got a look in?

I thought he was a terrific player but if you don’t that fair enough. Opinions eh.

Tarrahib
09-05-2019, 03:46 PM
It’s also a step up in competition for positions.
Everybody is equal on the bench.
Your best eleven for that game is playing.

MrRobot
10-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Yep - hopefully he tooks a look at ex Hibs players :wink:

heretoday
10-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Maybe Efe wouldn't be Heck's type of player.

FilipinoHibs
10-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Much more solid without him and less error prone. He was best going forward.

jacomo
10-05-2019, 07:43 PM

You might be right. Hecky seems to be all about ‘the group’ and probably prefers younger players.

Personally I would love to see Efe back though.

MWHIBBIES
10-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Much more solid without him and less error prone. He was best going forward.

Of all our central defenders this season he made by far the least errors.

Tyler Durden
10-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Do you think it’s just down to ability then he never got a look in?

I thought he was a terrific player but if you don’t that fair enough. Opinions eh.

Efe not being used by Derby is just the equivalent of Rherras or Eckersley not featuring for us. He was signed after the window shut as cover and he’s not been required. Don’t think there’s any more to it than that.

The big guy was brilliant for us but I think we have bigger priorities when Efe would be one of the highest earners

HFC_NYC
10-05-2019, 09:19 PM
I still can't help but feel he could have stayed put (helping us in the process) before getting his big money move at the end of the season.

H113EE5
10-05-2019, 09:19 PM
One of the best players I've seen in a Hibs shirt. Be mad not to take him back if he fancied it.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: Eh???? you must be around 12 years old and never seen a Hibs team before 2016/7. Best player????...... don't think so. He was a reasonable centre half and no more and some of that was in the Championship.

Hibeesmad
10-05-2019, 09:27 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused: Eh???? you must be around 12 years old and never seen a Hibs team before 2016/7. Best player????...... don't think so. He was a reasonable centre half and no more and some of that was in the Championship.

Certainly been one of the best players in the last 10 years. Definitely in the top 5.

jacomo
10-05-2019, 09:43 PM
I still can't help but feel he could have stayed put (helping us in the process) before getting his big money move at the end of the season.

Of course he should have done. But it’s old news now.

Good news is the Daz and PH pairing got back to form.

MWHIBBIES
11-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Im 23 and he's one of the best I've seen. Much more than a reasonable center half. 4 months of it was in the championship, 18 in the premier league.

Since452
11-05-2019, 09:38 AM

I didn't say the best player i said one of the best players I've seen in a Hibs shirt. Which he is.

Crab apple
11-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Last season Efe was a standout in the league. Excellent player who I’d love to see back at Easter Road.

BILLYHIBS
11-05-2019, 10:02 AM

🤔

Got my POTY 2018/19 and he was only here half a season

Miles better than Stevie Mallin

I wonder why he disappeared off the list of candidates?

Eyrie
11-05-2019, 10:34 AM
🤔

Probably because Ambrose left at the start of January. Even if we'd sold him it would have been tricky to get him back for the awards dinner, and he left of his own volition.

BILLYHIBS
11-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Probably because Ambrose left at the start of January. Even if we'd sold him it would have been tricky to get him back for the awards dinner, and he left of his own volition.
Still our best player by a country mile

Appreciate Stevie Mallins goals but was too inconsistent and had a ropey couple of months mid season and fair play to the boy for turning it around but Efe was still the class act imho

jacomo
11-05-2019, 11:08 AM
🤔

Efe was class, but leaving in Jan disqualified him from POTY contention imo. It’s about rewarding a player who has contributed all season.

Since90+2
11-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Still our best player by a country mile

Appreciate Stevie Mallins goals but was too inconsistent and had a ropey couple of months mid season and fair play to the boy for turning it around but Efe was still the class act imho

You want to reward a player who is currently with the club. Hopefully it gives Mallan abit of an extra step and he appreciates the award and kicks on next year.

Would be abit silly giving the POTY to a guy who's now playing for Derby.

BILLYHIBS
11-05-2019, 04:00 PM
You want to reward a player who is currently with the club. Hopefully it gives Mallan abit of an extra step and he appreciates the award and kicks on next year.

Would be abit silly giving the POTY to a guy who's now playing for Derby.

Agree!

But he ain’t kicked a ball for Derby

I think I have made my point

If he was here for the second part of the season there is no doubt in my mind it would have been a landslide for Efe

You are of course 100% correct give to a deserving player who is still at and loyal to the club