PDA

View Full Version : Reserve League - Hibs considering our future participation in it

Carheenlea
08-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Some interesting observations from Paul Heckingbottom on the Reserve League, putting young players out on loan and bridging the gap between development and first team.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/paul-heckingbottom-and-hibs-mull-over-club-s-future-in-spfl-reserve-league-1-4922545

Diclonius
08-05-2019, 08:14 AM
We're being set up for a flooding of the lower leagues with colt teams.

500miles
08-05-2019, 08:17 AM
We're being set up for a flooding of the lower leagues with colt teams.

I think you're right. To be honest, it might be the best move. Other, more successful countries do it.

Hibbyradge
08-05-2019, 08:35 AM
I think you're right. To be honest, it might be the best move. Other, more successful countries do it.

I can see no downsides to it.

Hibs get to give their players the games and style of play they need, and the lower league teams get to play against better opponents, thereby improving their skills.

Steven79
08-05-2019, 08:41 AM
I can see no downsides to it.

Hibs get to give their players the games and style of play they need, and the lower league teams get to play against better opponents, thereby improving their skills.

Lower league fans might not see it that way....

Speedway
08-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Both of them?

Hibbyradge
08-05-2019, 08:43 AM

I'm a Hibs fan, but how might they see it?

Pretty Boy
08-05-2019, 08:48 AM
I'm glad we are exploring other ways of developing young players. I know Heckingbottom has been critical of the standard of the reserve league since arriving so it's no surprise we are considering all our options. For all his faults Mark Warburton spoke a lot of sense when he was pretty disparaging about the old development league as well. That's not meant as a slight on Hibs young players but rather a belief I have that the current set up isn't fit for purpose in ensuring young players are developed to the best level they can be.

The part about needing players to be used in such a way so as to help their development rather than just to give them a game is just basic common sense. I think a balance between friendlies against high quality sides from England and abroad along with competitive games either in a tournament format or as a colts side in the lower leagues will be the way we end up going.

500miles
08-05-2019, 08:54 AM

I think you're right. There's a lot of traditions down in the lower leagues, and it does feel like devaluing that history.

However, we should maybe look at making formal partnerships with premiership and league 2 teams. They are often struggling to make ends meet, and we need competitive football for our promising players.

Edinburgh City, for example, make a bit of cash off the back of hibs and hearts ST holders. Maybe we should offer a team like that training facilities at EM, and a regular loan players. Plus, it would encourage our support to get along to their games. Possibly Berwick Rangers would fit the requirements.

Keep the branding, the history etc. Obviously, promotion to the top level would mean breaking that bond, even if only temporarily.

CapitalGreen
08-05-2019, 09:32 AM
I'm a Hibs fan, but how might they see it?

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/261041-12-team-championship/

Diclonius
08-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Looks like the SPFL teams will tell colts to get to ****. Good.

A twelve team championship playing 44 games a season is also a ****ing laugh. Why a split for us but not them?

Hibbyradge
08-05-2019, 09:46 AM
https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/261041-12-team-championship/

Thanks.

Mostly negative reactions in there, right enough.

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2019, 11:13 AM
All the ex players on Radio Scotland said a reserve league is the way forward as the youngsters can get kicked by the old guys and learn their trade?

Billy Whizz
08-05-2019, 11:20 AM
All the ex players on Radio Scotland said a reserve league is the way forward as the youngsters can get kicked by the old guys and learn their trade?

But most teams don’t have big 1st team squads anymore, playing predominantly young players in the league

Danderhall Hibs
08-05-2019, 12:14 PM
But most teams don’t have big 1st team squads anymore, playing predominantly young players in the league

I know but that was what all the BBC experts were pushing for and a season later we’re talking about scrapping it!