PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 05 05 19)

Jonnyboy
05-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Travelling back in the car today I was trying to work out which emotions were strongest in me and I came to the view that I was both frustrated and disappointed, as opposed to angry or depressed. I was disappointed because I felt we could have taken something from the game and frustrated that we were not forward thinking and adventurous enough after realising the Rangers were a bit rattled when we went to a 4-4-2 formation.

In what would prove to be a poor first half, Hibs actually started fairly brightly after an early scare when Arfield headed wide from a good position. A raking pass from Mallan looked to set Horgan free but the Hibs man could not control the ball and that attack petered out. Next, Gauld got on the end of a cross but couldn’t guide his header on target and from then on it was the hosts that created the better first half chances. Goldson and Arfield both saw efforts miss the target whilst Rocky had to be well placed to save another couple of efforts from the home side. Defoe then sliced the ball wide from a good position before Rocky saved well from a Ryan Kent effort. Little was being seen from Hibs in an attacking sense and McNulty was not at his best in the lone striker role.

With half time fast approaching the possession being enjoyed by the hosts paid off when Arfield squared the ball to Defoe who fired home from six yards. Watching the move live I wondered whether Arfield and then Defoe were offside but given the lack of any complaint from the Hibs defenders I guess the assistant referee got both decisions correct. That same assistant had, a few minutes earlier, infuriated the Hibs defence and travelling support by seeming to raise his flag for offside only to whip it down to his side again when referee Madden awarded a corner. That assistant got dogs abuse from the travelling support but he would have a key role to play later in the game.

The second half began much as the first had ended with the Rangers creating half chances but failing to capitalise on them. A double substitution by Hecky saw Horgan and Gauld replaced by Kamberi and Agyepong and immediately Hibs looked to have a better balance. Introducing a second striker in Kamberi took a bit of weight from the shoulders of McNulty and gave the Rangers pause for thought in how to deal with the changes. Agyepong fired straight at McGregor and then sent a cracking pass down the Hibs right which Kamberi raced on to before sending a low cross into the area that had too much on it with McNulty unable to make any contact.

Both sides made further changes with Murray on for Milligan and Morelos on for Defoe. Hibs were more involved now but it still took 82 minutes before they won their first corner with Daz heading Mallan’s cross wide of the target. With full time looming, Kamberi missed a glorious chance to equalise when Murray’s cross found him in the box but the big striker side footed his effort straight at McGregor and the keeper reacted quickly to make the save. Moments later the keeper was involved again when he took exception to McNulty standing on the 18 yard line in the hope of putting the keeper off when kicking from hand. The keeper got the ball away but seemed to lash out at McNulty. Madden was in centre field but his assistant spotted the incident and must have advised the whistler who approached McNulty and McGregor flashing first a yellow and then a red. Confusion reigned until it became clear that McNulty was being booked, presumably for obstruction as he’d made no contact with the keeper and then McGregor was shown a straight red.

After the predictable hullaballoo had quietened down, McCrorie had to go in goals because the Rangers had used all three subs. It was an opportunity for Hibs to put the lad under pressure but frustratingly they failed to do that and the game fizzled out.

The players

Rocky – Made a quite wonderful late save from Morelos but had absolutely no chance with the goal.

SDG – Put in a sterling and typical David Gray performance in both defending well and getting at the Rangers rearguard in an attacking sense. This was a real captain’s performance and SDG wins my man of the match award.

Daz – It’s no secret that he likes playing against his former employers and I felt he went about his duties well enough. For such a good header of the ball though, I think he should be offering a bigger threat at our corners and free kicks.

Paul – Once again his reading of the game was impressive although it’s fair to say that late on he had some problems dealing with the movement and physicality of Morelos.

Lewis – The wee man was excellent and pushed SDG for my man of the match award. It’s significant to me that he was often left marking both Tavernier and Arfield when his midfield cover went AWOL.

Daryl – Pretty anonymous for large parts of the game I felt he was often weak in the tackle and too slow in getting the ball forward. He’s had better games.

Ryan – I was surprised to see Ryan named in the starting eleven given his lack of minutes after returning from injury but I felt he started the game well before tiredness finally caused him to make way.

Millsy – Being a defensive midfielder is not only about covering your back four. It’s also about winning the ball and ensuring retention and that often means a backwards pass. Millsy was getting pelters for doing that today but for the most part unfairly in my view.

Stevie – Buzzed around and got stuck in when required. Had to take one for the team when Milligan’s stray pass would have sent Arfield through on goal had Stevie not tripped him.

Stephane – As good as he was in the Derby, he was pretty poor today. I thought a big part of his job was to stop Tavernier bombing down the right and delivering crosses. Sadly, Stephane was often posted missing in that regard.

Sparky – Another blank for our loanee but to be fair he was on a hiding to nothing when up front on his own. Got more involved when Flo joined him but still couldn’t engineer a shot on goal.

Thomas – I thought he’d be deployed wide and get served with balls over the top for him to use his pace. He started wide but soon drifted into a central position and was unable to use his biggest asset as a result.

Flo – I thought that, at times, he made a positive impact when he replaced Gauld but it seems to me he still struggles with the absolute basics of ball control and let’s face it he should have burst the net with that late opportunity.

Fraser – I thought he showed well during his brief time on the park. Was involved in the cross for Kamberi’s miss and just failed to connect properly with a late diving header.

Hecky – I’ve no idea what his take was on today’s performance but he is partially to blame for my frustration and disappointment. The Rangers are no great shakes but instead of having a go at them from the off we seemed happy to sit and let them bring the game to us.

The fans – A good turnout and a noisy bunch we were although I still cringe when the ‘Stokesy’s Da’ ditty is aired as it was today on numerous occasions.

Bobby Madden – I thought he refereed the game quite well. Mallan’s was a definite yellow; I couldn’t see the offence that brought Millsy his and I’m baffled as to why Sparky was booked for just standing there? He gets bonus points from me though for having the balls to dismiss Mr Angry.

AugustaHibs
05-05-2019, 07:55 PM
can’t agree with gauld, don’t think he found a man all day and I reckon he was hooked due to having a shocker, not through tiredness

lyonhibs
05-05-2019, 08:00 PM
SDG was caught hopelessly out of position in the lead up to their goal. Surely merits a mention? :confused:

Tarrahib
05-05-2019, 08:08 PM
SDG was caught hopelessly out of position in the lead up to their goal. Surely merits a mention? :confused:
In his favour he lifted his arm to ackowledge the fact he was in the wrong.

Hermit Crab
05-05-2019, 08:13 PM

He was but Milligan I think it was needlessly gave the ball away in the middle of the park with a slack pass however it may have been Gauld but I can't remember.

Bobby's Cinema
05-05-2019, 08:14 PM
We had more of a creative, technical midfield lineup today.
Mallan, Gauld, Omeonga, Horgan.

So not clear to me why we went this route for the team to then be set up to/ intent on lumping it up the park to an isolated Mcnulty all day.

Disappointing because we are better than that

Jonnyboy
05-05-2019, 08:30 PM
can’t agree with gauld, don’t think he found a man all day and I reckon he was hooked due to having a shocker, not through tiredness

As I said, I thought he started well enough but maybe it was asking too much of him after such a lengthy absence?

He was indeed but that was because someone else didn't do their job properly and left SDG high and dry as a result

Billy Whizz
05-05-2019, 08:34 PM
As I said, I thought he started well enough but maybe it was asking too much of him after such a lengthy absence?

He was indeed but that was because someone else didn't do their job properly and left SDG high and dry as a result

Agree with all of the above JB

we are hibs
05-05-2019, 08:36 PM
We had more of a creative, technical midfield lineup today.
Mallan, Gauld, Omeonga, Horgan.

So not clear to me why we went this route for the team to then be set up to/ intent on lumping it up the park to an isolated Mcnulty all day.

Disappointing because we are better than that

We seem to resort to lumping it forward in the big games quite a lot this season. Don't know if it's a mentality thing or where it's came from but we get zero joy from it. No coincidence once we get the ball down and try to play we have our best periods in games. Think the squad as a whole have had confidence problems this season. It's like they have little faith in themselves and team mates at the start of games and need a couple of decent attacks and passing moves to get them going and remember that they are a good side.

BILLYHIBS
05-05-2019, 11:28 PM
Spot on Johnnyboy

Like Celtic in the Cup Hecky showed The Rangers too much respect

They were no where near the side that dismantled Heatts and were pretty average tbh and were there for the taking

A weird set of circumstances with a second ball being thrown onto the pitch from a corner and a free kick being awarded against us even although a The Rangers player had been dismissed

I have lost patience with Kamberi and McNulty

Two new strikers and midfield reinforcements required in the summer

Pilrig_Sauzee
06-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Still points to play for, but it feels like that was our last chance. Our squad is not top 4, and we can talk all we like about Heck's formations but if players can't control the ball or complete a pass, then only so much can be done. Players could have taken more responsibility, shown more aggression, taken their chances. Disappointing game, but with some changes to the squad a good season awaits.

Ellahappyhibee
06-05-2019, 08:06 AM
our throw-ins kep slowing us down, losing all advantage. Gray is one of the biggest offenders. Do we not practise this in training.

BoomtownHibees
06-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Still points to play for, but it feels like that was our last chance. Our squad is not top 4, and we can talk all we like about Heck's formations but if players can't control the ball or complete a pass, then only so much can be done. Players could have taken more responsibility, shown more aggression, taken their chances. Disappointing game, but with some changes to the squad a good season awaits.

Still points to play for to finish above Hearts but that’s it. 5th is as high as we can finish

Deansy
06-05-2019, 03:01 PM
our throw-ins kep slowing us down, losing all advantage. Gray is one of the biggest offenders. Do we not practise this in training.

Throw-ins have been a problem for us even back to the 70's but yesterday really highlighted it - it's a strange one !

Kojock
06-05-2019, 05:56 PM

At least twice we had a throw in about 10 yards from the Rangers bye line and ended up with the ball being played back to Rocky. I don't know if we have a throw in coach but to me it would be a good investment.

NAE NOOKIE
06-05-2019, 10:09 PM
I only heard the game on the radio, but after a while it became clear we had gone into it with the same negative attitude we had in the cup tie against Celtic. Our relative success against both arse cheeks in the last few seasons has been on the back of not showing them 'respect' and that's how it should continue.

Heckingbottom has very much got the fans onside with a very good run of results … but once he has his own players in if we continue with the attitude he has shown so far against the Uglies I for one will be less than pleased.

Stuart93
06-05-2019, 10:15 PM
I only heard the game on the radio, but after a while it became clear we had gone into it with the same negative attitude we had in the cup tie against Celtic. Our relative success against both arse cheeks in the last few seasons has been on the back of not showing them 'respect' and that's how it should continue.

Heckingbottom has very much got the fans onside with a very good run of results … but once he has his own players in if we continue with the attitude he has shown so far against the Uglies I for one will be less than pleased.

Kind of feel this way too, we’ve actually been pretty negative against Celtic, the rangers and killie. I’m hoping it’s only like this because he doesn’t feel we can match them if we tried to take the game to them

B.H.F.C
06-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Kind of feel this way too, we’ve actually been pretty negative against Celtic, the rangers and killie. I’m hoping it’s only like this because he doesn’t feel we can match them if we tried to take the game to them

1 goal in 5 games against those sides under Heckingbottom. And we’ve rarely looked like scoring in most of those matches.

Not going to be overly critical as I want to see what he has to work with next season. If we’d had the pace of Boyle along with Scott Allan in the team yesterday it’d have been a totally different performance in an attacking sense IMO. We didn’t have anybody really capable of beating a man or running us up the pitch.

Stuart93
06-05-2019, 10:32 PM
1 goal in 5 games against those sides under Heckingbottom. And we’ve rarely looked like scoring in most of those matches.

Not going to be overly critical as I want to see what he has to work with next season. If we’d had the pace of Boyle along with Scott Allan in the team yesterday it’d have been a totally different performance in an attacking sense IMO. We didn’t have anybody really capable of beating a man or running us up the pitch.

I agree completely, I think he’s trying to get as much as he feels we can out of these games with what we have attacking wise. I’d argue that we have nothing to lose now though so just go for it in the final two games.

I’m hoping we won’t see the same tactics against these sides next season though as it’s not really what we’ve been used to from us

BILLYHIBS
07-05-2019, 06:13 AM
Looking back at the key incidents of Sunday’s game with the benefit of hindsight and reanalysis of the laws of the game there was certainly a high degree of unsporting behaviour from the Huns and their fans

A second match ball reappears from the Hun end after Stevie Mallin takes a corner surely a retake corner ...Wrong! A drop ball from the edge of The Rangers eighteen yard box :confused:

The Rangers defender (Goldson) is allowed to boot the ball 60 yards away towards Rocky and out for a throw in deep into our own half defusing any attacking momentum we had

Surely the Ibrox ballboys must be in retention of all match balls at all times ?

MacGregor is dismissed for violent conduct after feigning injury an offence he has got away with at Motherwell and Pittidrie and other grounds throughout the country all season

The match official got the big calls spot on

The Rangers and their fans are unsporting and cheating barstewards to them it is win at all costs

We gave a very poor The Rangers side too much respect hopefully next season we can get back to being unafraid when we visit places like Ibrox Parkhead and Pittodrie

JimBHibees
07-05-2019, 10:04 AM

These are the three best teams in the league and prior to Sunday when Flo could have scored to get a draw is the first time we have been beaten. This indicates to me we have a decent basis to build on when hopefully we improve our midfield to front options.