PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Hunbernian

Keith_M
05-05-2019, 05:27 PM
...according to some wee Hibs 'supporting' Ned with a green bandana.

Apparently, that's what you are if you object to Hibs 'supporters' singing about the IRA and mocking the Ibrox disaster

Classy stuff from the young team on the underground after the game.

cabbageandribs1875
05-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Apparently, that's what you are if you object to Hibs 'supporters' singing about the IRA and mocking the Ibrox disaster

poor stuff :bitchy: leave that to they ****s

Hibernia&Alba
05-05-2019, 05:30 PM
You can't have a sensible conversation with a ned, mate. Those sort of chants embarrass us all.

DaveF
05-05-2019, 05:36 PM
It'll be same lot who were giving it out at Dundee with the same IRA nonsense.

An embarrassment to the club.

Jones28
05-05-2019, 05:38 PM
****ing idiots, they don't know the first thing about the IRA.

brianmc
05-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Guess I must be a hunbernian as well then cos I think that patter from the young team is too ****my for words.

we are hibs
05-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Guess I must be a hunbernian as well then cos I think that patter from the young team is too ****my for words.

Its not the "young team". It's two middle aged ********s who go to games looking to cause bother.

Sir David Gray
05-05-2019, 05:43 PM
The IRA stuff was embarrassing today. This crap better not be creeping into our support or else I'm off.

davhibby
05-05-2019, 05:56 PM
It was the usual suspect. Not sure why he goes to see hibs cause he quite clearly hates us

H18S NX
05-05-2019, 05:56 PM
You can't argue with sick minds m8.

madhibby
05-05-2019, 06:02 PM
The IRA stuff was embarrassing today. This crap better not be creeping into our support or else I'm off.

I agree not nice stuff but not supported by the vast majority of the Hibs support - don't let an extremely small minority deter you from supporting the Hibees?

Incidently being corralled back to Govan underground with the Police jumping on anything the Hibs fan did (I was shouted at for walking on the road!) i did ask a Policeman why they do nothing about 30,000 Rangers fans at the game singing anti catholic anthems surrounding 1690. I stated that racism and homophobia is properly treated as a breach of the peace but seemingly not sectarianism in Scotland. His response was the usual Police Scotland excuse for non action - what do you expect me to do when there are so many singing it? I said the scale of the people breaking the laws of the land should not lead to Police non action - the usual shrug of the shoulders was his reaction. Sad but not surprising as its been ignored for years?

Sir David Gray
05-05-2019, 06:09 PM
I agree not nice stuff but not supported by the vast majority of the Hibs support - don't let an extremely small minority deter you from supporting the Hibees?

Incidently being corralled back to Govan underground with the Police jumping on anything the Hibs fan did (I was shouted at for walking on the road!) i did ask a Policeman why they do nothing about 30,000 Rangers fans at the game singing anti catholic anthems surrounding 1690. I stated that racism and homophobia is properly treated as a breach of the peace but seemingly not sectarianism in Scotland. His response was the usual Police Scotland excuse for non action - what do you expect me to do when there are so many singing it? I said the scale of the people breaking the laws of the land should not lead to Police non action - the usual shrug of the shoulders was his reaction. Sad but not surprising as its been ignored for years?

The majority of our fans need to force these idiots to change or else get them out of the support.

I'm not having our club being associated with that garbage.

Stokesy's on fire
05-05-2019, 06:21 PM

Police Scotland are useless and need sorting out horrible mob

Kojock
05-05-2019, 06:25 PM

There was a group of young lads inside the ground singing the Stokes da song. Then another which included f@@k the UDA. Disappointing to say the least.

HibeeHibernian4
05-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Really not on, particularly given the recent events in Derry.

I think some of the young lot think that the IRA are a bit of a thing of the past that they can now freely sing and laugh about. It's not the case.

The Spaceman
05-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Also singing about Fernando Ricksen. Awful.

SteveHFC
05-05-2019, 06:43 PM

Anyone who was singing that should be banned.

lyonhibs
05-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Jesus Christ. Should be getting lobbed off a bridge for that genre of "patter"

Sir David Gray
05-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Didn't hear anything of that nature but that's disgraceful if they were making fun of someone with MND.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Leeann talked about a text service being set up to flag these types in.

I’d be all for it if there was some sort of education programme behind the scenes that we could refer these idiots to. I’d wager the majority who sing these songs know absolutely nothing about Irish History and the Troubles.

HibeeHibernian4
05-05-2019, 06:57 PM

(Assuming it's the same group of people as before) I heard similar at Pittodrie earlier this season. To the tune of the Darren McGregor song I'm right in thinking?

The Spaceman
05-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Didn't hear anything of that nature but that's disgraceful if they were making fun of someone with MND.

Was coming off the train from Haymarket. Shameful.

Unfortunately some absolute **** in our support. A small minority but absolute pond life.

Stokesy's on fire
05-05-2019, 06:59 PM

I’d be all for it if there was some sort of education programme behind the scenes that we could refer these idiots to. I’d wager the majority who sing these songs know absolutely nothing about Irish History and the Troubles.

Text service would be abused by fans who dont like other fans sack that idea

NAE NOOKIE
05-05-2019, 07:18 PM

In general you are probably not wrong. But I assure you the main protagonists in this small band are extremely clued up on Irish history and the history of the troubles. Their take on it is that Hibs should be a vehicle for pro Irish republican sentiment in a very public way and that its the duty of the club and its supporters to continue and uphold what they see as the views of the clubs original founders …… In order to do that their view is that we must ensure that the club is seen to be Irish and its fans act as if it is with pro Irish republican chants and displays of Irish republican symbols like the tricolour and starry plough flag.

Its clear from what I'm reading here that they are having some success in drawing a minority to their point of view, which if we are not careful could turn into a Hearts sized 'minority' and that is exactly why there's a line I have said on here time and time again that we have to be very careful about crossing when it comes to 'celebrating the club's heritage'

Oh and as the OP can testify, anybody who refutes their take on what the club and its fans should be gets called 'a Hunbernian' as I have been on a few occasions.

HibeeHibernian4
05-05-2019, 07:41 PM
In general you are probably not wrong. But I assure you the main protagonists in this small band are extremely clued up on Irish history and the history of the troubles. Their take on it is that Hibs should be a vehicle for pro Irish republican sentiment in a very public way and that its the duty of the club and its supporters to continue and uphold what they see as the views of the clubs original founders …… In order to do that their view is that we must ensure that the club is seen to be Irish and its fans act as if it is with pro Irish republican chants and displays of Irish republican symbols like the tricolour and starry plough flag.

Its clear from what I'm reading here that they are having some success in drawing a minority to their point of view, which if we are not careful could turn into a Hearts sized 'minority' and that is exactly why there's a line I have said on here time and time again that we have to be very careful about crossing when it comes to 'celebrating the club's heritage'

Oh and as the OP can testify, anybody who refutes their take on what the club and its fans should be gets called 'a Hunbernian' as I have been on a few occasions.

I agree with this, but I think lumping the tricolour in with out and out republican symbols like the starry plough flag is a bit inaccurate. Just my opinion on the matter.

NAE NOOKIE
05-05-2019, 07:48 PM
I agree with this, but I think lumping the tricolour in with out and out republican symbols like the starry plough flag is a bit inaccurate. Just my opinion on the matter.

It is mate, in fact the tricolour is the very epitome of an attempt to unite the different religious sides in Ireland. But neither they nor the folk who will take notice of a rise in this sort of thing within the Hibs support will stop for a second to consider that .... all they will say is Celtic and Rangers are sectarian, the tricolour is the visible sign of Celtic's side of that divide, Hibs fans use it too so Hibs fans must be sectarian. That's not right, that's not fair … but its a fact.

bigwheel
05-05-2019, 07:52 PM
It is mate, in fact the tricolour is the very epitome of an attempt to unite the different religious sides in Ireland. But neither they nor the folk who will take notice of a rise in this sort of thing within the Hibs support will stop for a second to consider that .... all they will say is Celtic and Rangers are sectarian, the tricolour is the visible sign of Celtic's side of that divide, Hibs fans use it too so Hibs fans must be sectarian. That's not right, that's not fair … but its a fact.

United Ireland isn’t about unifying religious sides though is it - it’s about unity of two countries. There are many people of varying religions support that cause ...

Flags at football don’t trouble me at all - they reflect whoever has them - whatever they are...

That said, despite being proud of our roots..I don’t want politics or religion to be part of our football support ..that’s not what Hibs are about ..which I guess is your Main point

HibeeHibernian4
05-05-2019, 08:06 PM

I completely accept that, and in terms of distancing Hibs from the sectarianism debate, you're correct in what you say by and large.

I still think if you never saw a tricolour in a Hibs end again, a good proportion of people would argue 'Hibs are just as bad as Hearts for sectarianism'. This wouldn't be the case, it isn't even the case now, but people are intellectually dishonest and they don't argue in good faith. They deliberately lie and it often works, look at almost every election campaign this decade, for example. Filled with lies.

These situations aren't directly comparable, but I'm going to give you an example that I think is (roughly) along the same lines.

I have a Muslim friend, known him since we were growing up together. From about 17/18, he's had a big, full beard. Doesn't like being clean-shaven, and has probably only taken it all off once or twice since he grew it.

As you say, rightly or wrongly, people have preconceptions and misconceptions. So if my friend went down to London and was on the tube with a big rucksack and his beard, would he be leaving himself open to other people assuming (even just to themselves) the worst of him? They'd be wrong to, obviously. But with the beard, the skin colour and the rucksack, does he accidentally give a suicide bomber impression off to a certain type of person? I think he does, possibly. But should the onus be on him to change his appearance by shaving off his beard? Of course not, he's doing nothing wrong.

Now, while that example obviously goes to extremes, I think it takes away a similar conclusion. This small group that the OP has described apart (who need to be confronted and curbed just like they were in the 80s), should the average Hibs fan stop taking a tricolour because people who are wrong will think it's sectarian? I don't think they should, myself.

And that's before we get onto the main crux of this argument, which is that some things are bigger than Hibs. Even if no more tricolours in the Hibs end actually did stop people thinking of us as sectarian (it really wouldn't, but let's imagine it would), then what? We'd no longer be part of the problem in the public perception, but the problem would still be there.

I'd much rather we actually all, as a society, came together and addressed the elephant in the room, which is Rangers Football Club. Tackle them, and you have tackled sectarianism in Scotland.

.Sean.
05-05-2019, 08:17 PM
The day this nonsense seeps into our club on a weekly basis is the day I’ll call it quits.

Embarrassing. **** off to Celtic Park if that’s your attitude ya 🤡s

Hermit Crab
05-05-2019, 08:23 PM
The Stokes da song got an airing today which was bad enough, admittedly I didn't hear anything about Ricksen but thats a red card offence, shocker of a subject to sing about.

Hermit Crab
05-05-2019, 08:25 PM

These are things that would never be sung about in the street in normal every day life so why do it in a football ground or going to/from the football. Fuds

we are hibs
05-05-2019, 08:27 PM
These are things that would never be sung about in the street in normal every day life so why do it in a football ground or going to/from the football. Fuds

You wouldn't sing about people being a ****er in the street either but plenty rightly do so at certain referees :greengrin

BS44
05-05-2019, 08:32 PM
The Stokes da song got an airing today which was bad enough, admittedly I didn't hear anything about Ricksen but thats a red card offence, shocker of a subject to sing about.

I went for a pee at HT and when I got to the toilet a seemingly Hibs fan was singing about the Ibrox disaster. Have we really sunk so low that celebrating people dying is a acceptable song to wind up those ****ers? If it is then we are down in the gutter with lot

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2019, 08:47 PM
The day this nonsense seeps into our club on a weekly basis is the day I’ll call it quits.

You're not wrong mate, it's seeping in for some strange reason though.

Sir David Gray
05-05-2019, 08:50 PM

I'll be joining you.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-05-2019, 08:52 PM
I'll be joining you.

Sounds like you are desperate for an excuse.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-05-2019, 08:53 PM
You're not wrong mate, it's seeping in for some strange reason though.

Perhaps its due in part to the current trend in the apparent politics of division appears to be seeping in to other areas of life.

HUTCHYHIBBY

He's not, he's been consistent for years about this pish.

Tarrahib
I went for a pee at HT and when I got to the toilet a seemingly Hibs fan was singing about the Ibrox disaster. Have we really sunk so low that celebrating children dying is a acceptable song to wind up those ****ers? If it is then we are down in the gutter with lot
Ive been at Pittodrie a few times when hibs fans have sung (there is only one Piper Alpha)I have found it quite sickening.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-05-2019, 08:56 PM
He's not, he's been consistent for years about this pish.

Consistently threatening to go elsewhere.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Consistently threatening to go elsewhere.

But turning up at the games all the same.

Diclonius
05-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Sooner Dempster bans them/restricts what they can do the better.

If Hibs become a mini Celtic I'm done.

Hermit Crab
05-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Ive been at Pittodrie a few times when hibs fans have sung (there is only one Piper Alpha)I have found it quite sickening.

Thats horrendous especially since there were men from all over Scotland on that rig, not just the North of Scotland.

green&left
05-05-2019, 09:09 PM
I went for a pee at HT and when I got to the toilet a seemingly Hibs fan was singing about the Ibrox disaster. Have we really sunk so low that celebrating children dying is a acceptable song to wind up those ****ers? If it is then we are down in the gutter with lot

People see the huns as fair game and will use this stuff as ammo. At the boxing day game there was a wee rendition of a ricksen song or a rebel tune and "watch the stairs on the way out" as they started singing the Griffiths song. Not saying I agree with it but I certainly wouldn't be threatening to quit Hibs cos of a few fannys and some dodgy chants and cos a group of laddies learnt a Wolfe Tones tune last night.

Sir David Gray
05-05-2019, 09:10 PM

If we see a situation arising where songs in support of the IRA are sung at Hibs games on a regular basis, I want nothing to do with that and I would feel that I would have no option but to stop going to games.

Make no mistake, I love the club and stopping going to games would not be a decision I would take lightly, it would be very much a last resort.

However I have always taken pride in the fact that we are not Celtic. We are a Scottish club, steeped in an undeniable Irish heritage but we do not get involved in the divisive political situation in Ireland. I have always believed that we are a club that is open to people of all political and religious beliefs.

Singing songs about the IRA goes against everything that I have ever believed about the Hibs support and if this becomes prevalent I would reluctantly stay away from games until it was sorted out. I refuse to have an association with anyone who supports the IRA.

majorhibs
05-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Been abroad years, but obv those on this this very PC outraged thread werenae there in the 70/80s when I learned all the songs from the fans fi the 50/60s, & rightly or wrongly the stuff I was learning fi Hibs fans who’d witnessed famous 5s & 60s Euro amazin results, were (shocker!) as bad or sometimes even worse! Course PC & being imaginary victims wasnae aw that trendy in them days, right enough!

Hermit Crab
05-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Been abroad years, but obv those on this this very PC outraged thread werenae there in the 70/80s when I learned all the songs from the fans fi the 50/60s, & rightly or wrongly the stuff I was learning fi Hibs fans who’d witnessed famous 5s & 60s Euro amazin results, were (shocker!) as bad or sometimes even worse! Course PC & being imaginary victims wasnae aw that trendy in them days, right enough!

Are you forgetting the fact its now unacceptable to sing sectarian songs? Also the fact that it gives our club a bad name? Singing songs about someone who has a horrible disease is ok in your book because you are around in the 70s and 80s? Bash on pal.

HibeeHibernian4
05-05-2019, 09:20 PM

I don't think it makes me 'politically correct' to not want us singing songs about a group who blew up innocent men, women and children while trying to target British soldiers. And when you add in the fact that one of their modern day offshoots have killed a journalist in Derry just last month, I think it's fair enough that we don't sing their praises while inside a football stadium...

Antifa Hibs
05-05-2019, 09:24 PM
If we see a situation arising where songs in support of the IRA are sung at Hibs games on a regular basis, I want nothing to do with that and I would feel that I would have no option but to stop going to games.

Make no mistake, I love the club and stopping going to games would not be a decision I would take lightly, it would be very much a last resort.

However I have always taken pride in the fact that we are not Celtic. We are a Scottish club, steeped in an undeniable Irish heritage but we do not get involved in the divisive political situation in Ireland. I have always believed that we are a club that is open to people of all political and religious beliefs.

Singing songs about the IRA goes against everything that I have ever believed about the Hibs support and if this becomes prevalent I would reluctantly stay away from games until it was sorted out. I refuse to have an association with anyone who supports the IRA.

:faf: Put yer dummy back in i'm sure it will no come to that...

The biggest problem with Irish/Republican songs is the lack of education and people just believing the spoon-fed narrative that the IRA were just big murdering baddies and have no knowledge on the subject. Infact you can say that about any Irish song. The Fields of Athenry or Grace get sung by Celtc fans and get booed. In saying that, as much as I (and plenty other Hibbys) enjoy listening to some of the music I wouldn't want it sung it at Hibs games as its not our identify, its Celtics.

No like a complete non-story to grow arms and legs on a football message forum.

majorhibs
05-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Thats horrendous especially since there were men from all over Scotland on that rig, not just the North of Scotland.

Boys fi all over the planet offshore, predominantly UK in UK waters, I was about 30 miles away, at the time, workin wi boys fi round the globe, these dafties dinnae dae detail, but they’re after attention. Scoring plenty wi some obviously.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Fair enough.

It's sad that we can't show pride in our Irish heritage without getting drawn into Sectarian / IRA bile.

It's OK to be proud of our heritage and display that pride at games. That doesn't have to go hand in hand with Republicanism, IRA Songs. Impresses absolutely no-one.

CMurdoch
05-05-2019, 09:28 PM

I hope you slagged Rab C Celtic back

Smartie
05-05-2019, 09:29 PM

I'm with you 100% on this and I'd be very surprised if the vast majority of Hibs fans weren't.

I may be getting dull and middle aged but I ain't standing shoulder to shoulder with folk who glorify terrorist organisations or find it funny to sing about folk with terminal illnesses.

BS44
05-05-2019, 09:29 PM

His bandana was a good place to start.....

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2019, 09:34 PM

I was there in the late 70s and 80s, it's still stinking patter though, sorry.

Sir David Gray
05-05-2019, 09:35 PM
:faf: Put yer dummy back in i'm sure it will no come to that...

The biggest problem with Irish/Republican songs is the lack of education and people just believing the spoon-fed narrative that the IRA were just big murdering baddies and have no knowledge on the subject. Infact you can say that about any Irish song. The Fields of Athenry or Grace get sung by Celtc fans and get booed. In saying that, as much as I (and plenty other Hibbys) enjoy listening to some of the music I wouldn't want it sung it at Hibs games as its not our identify, its Celtics.

I never said that it would come to that. If you read my initial post on this thread you'll see that i have clearly said that if those songs/chants continue to get sung more often then I would be calling it a day.

I really hope that they don't and I'm hopeful that there are enough good people within our fanbase to drive these idiots out of our support.

DaveF
05-05-2019, 09:38 PM

It is a story though. There is without doubt a very small band who spout pro IRA stuff as I've seen and heard it myself.

majorhibs
05-05-2019, 09:44 PM
I don't think it makes me 'politically correct' to not want us singing songs about a group who blew up innocent men, women and children while trying to target British soldiers. And when you add in the fact that one of their modern day offshoots have killed a journalist in Derry just last month, I think it's fair enough that we don't sing their praises while inside a football stadium...

Actually, dude, what I had in mind was mair along the lines, tryin tae put him off his game, the old immortal ‘Hamish, Hamish, where’s yer wife?’ Which a decade or 2 later became ‘Robbo, Robbo, where’s yer wife?’ + (‘she’s here, she’s there, she’s every F’in where, Robbie wife’) but that’s just bad me & my take on Scottish fitba in my youth. Of course all you young PC heard all songs been all places V good people brigade ken better’n me what I mean!

davhibby
05-05-2019, 11:32 PM
The main issue the op had was with the guy that hates hibs, can't believe it's managed to manifest itself into a fans hating thread when I thought the fans were pretty good today despite the result

Baader
06-05-2019, 02:35 AM
Actually, dude, what I had in mind was mair along the lines, tryin tae put him off his game, the old immortal ‘Hamish, Hamish, where’s yer wife?’ Which a decade or 2 later became ‘Robbo, Robbo, where’s yer wife?’ + (‘she’s here, she’s there, she’s every F’in where, Robbie wife’) but that’s just bad me & my take on Scottish fitba in my youth. Of course all you young PC heard all songs been all places V good people brigade ken better’n me what I mean!

I mind the Robbo song. It never really put him off his game though did it?!!

Steve-O
06-05-2019, 02:39 AM

I was once BELLOWED at by Polis outside Ibrox for literally standing still! I was waiting on my cousin who was giving me a lift home, didn't know where his car was parked, and was in the days before easy mobile phone contact was possible. Hadn't even finished the sentence of "I'm just waiting on..." before "MOVE AWAY NOW!!!" was shouted in my face. Unpleasant business.

That said, never really had too much bother at Ibrox personally.

Baader
06-05-2019, 02:50 AM
I was once BELLOWED at by Polis outside Ibrox for literally standing still! I was waiting on my cousin who was giving me a lift home, didn't know where his car was parked, and was in the days before easy mobile phone contact was possible. Hadn't even finished the sentence of "I'm just waiting on..." before "MOVE AWAY NOW!!!" was shouted in my face. Unpleasant business.

That said, never really had too much bother at Ibrox personally.

Seen Hibs fans thrown into polis vans for doing literally nothing on the approach to Ibrox before. Nowadays you could record it so I guess it happens less but I remember police holding fans in cells just so they'd miss the game and being pretty smug about it.

Jones28
06-05-2019, 06:10 AM

It's not trendy to be outraged at Hibs fans singing disgusting songs about events where people lost their lives, it's about having morals.

"Things were worse in ma day". yes, the world and the standards it has have moved on. It's no longer "football banter" to sing sectarian songs, or songs that mock innocent people who died in a football disaster.

.Sean.
06-05-2019, 06:11 AM
I’m far from PC, you’ll just never catch me using the club we apparently love as a vehicle for singing the praises of about a group of ****bag terrorists.

Half the wee fuds singing this pish probably don’t have the first clue about the troubles, in fact they’ve probably never even set foot in Ireland the wee wannabes.

Golden Bear
06-05-2019, 06:29 AM
I’m far from PC, you’ll just never catch me using the club we apparently love as a vehicle for singing the praises of about a group of ****bag terrorists.

Half the wee fuds singing this pish probably don’t have the first clue about the troubles, in fact they’ve probably never even set foot in Ireland the wee wannabes.

:agree:

I share your pain Sean.

Brizo
06-05-2019, 06:30 AM
Pro IRA and Republican songs / chants are totally unacceptable and if this is becoming an emerging thing among an element of our young support it needs to be nipped in the bud.

Its only a couple of weeks since that young woman was killed in Derry by the latest IRA splinter group and we don't want an upturn in violence over there to be mirrored by an upturn in such songs from Hibs fans. Our element is so small that it is policeable and the club / police should be in discussions to identify and eject anyone caught singing or chanting such stuff.

Pretty Boy
06-05-2019, 06:40 AM
It's the same little group all the time and one particular individual is the ringleader. I don't think it's indicative of a much bigger problem within the support although I could well be wrong.

I'm certain they get off on threads like this and similar comments on Facebook and so on because it makes them feel important and relevant. I understand why it's not an option but ignoring them and starving them of their 'notoriety' would probably be the most effective action.

dchibs
06-05-2019, 06:40 AM
I went for a pee at HT and when I got to the toilet a seemingly Hibs fan was singing about the Ibrox disaster. Have we really sunk so low that celebrating people dying is a acceptable song to wind up those ****ers? If it is then we are down in the gutter with lot

My older brothers best pal was killed in the Ibrox disaster, we were having a new year party in my house that night when the news that he didn't make the supporters bus home, my dad, my brother and his pals brother drove through to Ibrox to identify him. he was 17, these saddo so called Hibs fans need banned from football matches.

JimBHibees
06-05-2019, 06:47 AM
It is a story though. There is without doubt a very small band who spout pro IRA stuff as I've seen and heard it myself.

Who definitely need kicked out of the club pronto.

LustForLeith
06-05-2019, 06:55 AM
Police Scotland are useless and need sorting out horrible mob

I cut across the old bridge of doom before the recent Celtic game and witnessed an example of this.

There was a group of Celtic fans and two policemen. The Celtic fans were singing a song and the word IRA was mentioned. One Celtic fan raised his arms and basically shouted it in the policemen’s face.

One of the policemen was raging and started to go after the Celtic fans saying that they should be arrested. His colleague turned his back to the fans and dismissed it with the apperencd of someone who wanted their shift to be over as soon as possible.

With hindsight I wished I had recorded it on my phone.

Diclonius
06-05-2019, 08:06 AM
Are these the same guys who always take it upon themselves to position a tricolour as close as possible to the Hearts fans at every derby? If so, they're far from "kids" and we can easily identify and ban them.

Jones28
06-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Are these the same guys who always take it upon themselves to position a tricolour as close as possible to the Hearts fans at every derby? If so, they're far from "kids" and we can easily identify and ban them.

They make me cringe so much. Ffs you're "adults", stop getting pumped on cheap coke and vodka red bulls and trying to noise up other fans.

Stokesy's on fire
06-05-2019, 09:14 AM

You can't be banning fans for flying the Tricolour.

Hibby70
06-05-2019, 09:17 AM
We should just film these rodents, at least get them banned from Easter Road.

SRHibs
06-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Commence flag debate!

Bostonhibby
06-05-2019, 09:57 AM

That said, never really had too much bother at Ibrox personally.Loads of horrible stories from the 70's and early 80's involving plod Glasgow that spawned my disrespect and general distrust and my belief that many of them allowed their choice of football club and/ Or lodge membership get in the way of their professionalism.

Once got into fir park pretty early, we 5 of us standing on an empty terracing. Glasgows finest arrived and stood at intervals on the steps then walked into the small crowd randomly lifting folk. My mate got taken into a van outside and was told he was being ejected for "affray". He'd done nothing and when he asked to see a senior officer was released but told he had to pay to get in again. Sneering cop stood by him whilst he did so.

Wife got spat on by a mutant child at Ibrox, steward wasn't interested even though he seen it. We pointed the beast out but the steward said we'd all be ejected if we didn't back off. A complaint to the cop standing at the front was met with a smirk and "What do you expect when you come to ibrox" then strolled off.

After a cup game against celtc one of our party got back to our mini bus early but wasn't there when we arrived. Eventually found out he'd been arrested and jailed overnight. He'd a bust nose and cut mouth. He said he was standing at the front of the bus and was thrown to the ground by 2 cops. Hit a few times then carted off in a van.

The following day he refused to plead guilty or accept the offence and wanted to make a complaint.was advised it was his word against theirs, photos were taken but ultimately got nowhere even though no charges were actually brought.

I could go on.....

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
06-05-2019, 10:03 AM
I’m guessing these are the same fannies that caused the stooshy at Parkhead with their Lennon love-in and hatred of Dempster? I did see them yesterday but didn’t hear the songs, other than the Stokes Da pish, which was sung by a good few hundred folk.

Sir David Gray
06-05-2019, 10:10 AM
I’m guessing these are the same fannies that caused the stooshy at Parkhead with their Lennon love-in and hatred of Dempster? I did see them yesterday but didn’t hear the songs, other than the Stokes Da pish, which was sung by a good few hundred folk.

Yeah the suggestion that the Stokes' dad song was only sung by a few people is sadly not true. Definitely a sizeable minority singing that a couple of times yesterday.

Get that crap stamped out for a start.

HFC93
06-05-2019, 10:53 AM
By any chance was that attention seeking guy who's all over twitter involved?

Stokesy's on fire
06-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Commence flag debate!

Caaaaammm oonnn saaan haha

Diclonius
06-05-2019, 11:16 AM

We won't be banning them for flying the tricolour.

Steve-O
06-05-2019, 11:25 AM
By any chance was that attention seeking guy who's all over twitter involved?

Who is this mystery individual? Who is ‘H’?

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Some folk seem to have a good idea who this clown is. Get him reported to the club.

NAE NOOKIE
06-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Fair enough.

It's sad that we can't show pride in our Irish heritage without getting drawn into Sectarian / IRA bile.

It's OK to be proud of our heritage and display that pride at games. That doesn't have to go hand in hand with Republicanism, IRA Songs. Impresses absolutely no-one.

In all honesty as an intellectual argument nobody could disagree with the fact that of itself the 'cause' of Irish republicanism and Irish unity which gave rise to the IRA is a just and noble one, you don't have to be Simon Schama to know that the bloody history of that island came about as a direct result of English and then British imperialism. What I can never be on the side of is the murder of innocent men women and children for the sake of that cause ( any cause ) and that's why I cant subscribe to the IRA's methods, certainly since the 1970s, or sing songs in celebration of them.

On top of that, when it comes to Hibs the social depravation and nationalistic and religious bigotry our founders overcame in order to be accepted in Edinburgh / Scotland is an aspect of the club's history I think everybody could and should be proud of, its a true life story of rising above adversity. But that is their history, not mine, the undoubted loyalty to Ireland and love for the place our original founders would have had does not obligate me, a Scotsman who has never even set foot in Ireland, to behave like a pseudo Irishman on the terraces of Scotland's football grounds and wave its national symbols around or sing songs about the place just because I happen to support the football club they founded. Other folk might have a different view and that's their prerogative, but its a view I cant subscribe to.

I'm a lifelong Scottish nationalist, I was voting SNP when they were nothing more than a fringe party and laughed at by the unionists as little more than an offshoot of the White heather club ( ask yer mum :greengrin ) Post the 2014 referendum there is even a group on social media posting as 'Hibs fans for independence' which I love to see. But all that being said I wouldn't want to see Hibs as a club used as a vehicle by folk with the same opinion as me to promote Scottish independence, for the simple reason that our support is made up of folk with many political, social and even religious beliefs … to try and make the club a vehicle for any of those beliefs would inevitably prove divisive and that's something nobody wants to see.

I'll finish by saying that I'm not a regular Hibs away fan barring semi finals, finals and the odd big cup tie or attractive away pre season friendly. Because of that I have little knowledge of the conduct of our regular away support. But if what I'm reading on here of songs about Fernando Ricksen, the Ibrox disaster and even Piper Alpha are true the folk doing that are absolute **** and I'm ashamed to see them associated with our club in any way.

Hibby70
06-05-2019, 01:02 PM

Spoiler alert

JP1302
06-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Fair enough.

Being a republican is not sectarian..

IRA songs is a wide scope some can be but , for example songs like Grace , Fields of Athenry , let the people sing etc are not sectarian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2019, 03:40 PM

IRA songs is a wide scope some can be but , for example songs like Grace , Fields of Athenry , let the people sing etc are not sectarian.

Indeed, true Irish Republicanism is absolutely non-sectarian. Many of the leading figures in the Fenian movement were Protestant Irishmen. That tradition of equality was continued by the men of 1916, none more so than Connolly.

bigwheel
06-05-2019, 03:46 PM

Yes. We understand that. Yet neither do we want Irish political songs sung by Hibs supporters at games. Not our thing ....

Plenty places for people to get their fix on that if that’s where their heart is ....

madhibby
06-05-2019, 03:49 PM
posted by one of the admin under the heading Hibernian are R Irish in the Real Hibernian Footsoldiers Facebook page:

I honestly hope.. never been so childishly vehement about anything else in my life.... that Scott Allan shows his true colours so we can ****in move on from this illegitimate love affair with the rat *******.
Honestly.... arguing with one chap on the tube and the wee ****ing sheep don’t utter a peep when I sing Scotty Allan get tae ****. As soon as big chap sings There’s only one Scotty Allan, they all join in like brainless Lemmings.
Half them are truly still too young to remember what ratty Judas Hun **** did to ***** on the Hibs dressing room, and the career lifeline thanks he gave us in return.
You would NOT ever be accepted back after doing that at any place of employment, anywhere.
Scott Allan’s name is mud in UK footballing circles. Nobody seems to want this fresh air of talent, except clubs like Hihs who remind me of a young sister being mistreated, dumped and slapped about by a **** of an ex, then watching in despair as she bends over backwards to tell the world he’s a ducking great guy and they’re back together.
I hope he *****s on us from a high perch. Shame on anyone with such low standards and lack of respect for the club, who would welcome him back.

I despair with this message!

Since452
06-05-2019, 03:51 PM
posted by one of the admin under the heading Hibernian are R Irish in the Real Hibernian Footsoldiers Facebook page:

I honestly hope.. never been so childishly vehement about anything else in my life.... that Scott Allan shows his true colours so we can ****in move on from this illegitimate love affair with the rat *******.
Honestly.... arguing with one chap on the tube and the wee ****ing sheep don’t utter a peep when I sing Scotty Allan get tae ****. As soon as big chap sings There’s only one Scotty Allan, they all join in like brainless Lemmings.
Half them are truly still too young to remember what ratty Judas Hun **** did to ***** on the Hibs dressing room, and the career lifeline thanks he gave us in return.
You would NOT ever be accepted back after doing that at any place of employment, anywhere.
Scott Allan’s name is mud in UK footballing circles. Nobody seems to want this fresh air of talent, except clubs like Hihs who remind me of a young sister being mistreated, dumped and slapped about by a **** of an ex, then watching in despair as she bends over backwards to tell the world he’s a ducking great guy and they’re back together.
I hope he *****s on us from a high perch. Shame on anyone with such low standards and lack of respect for the club, who would welcome him back.

Idiots like that can go and "support" another team.

HibeeHibernian4
06-05-2019, 03:54 PM
If Allan hadn't already come back and played out of his skin for half a season last year, then I could maybe understand the sentiments (though not the phrasing) of this person's post a little bit more.

As it is, Allan came back to Hibs and took the league by storm, donated to HSL and clearly feels bad about the move he and his agent tried to instigate that summer. It also ended up alright, he went to Celtic and we got McGeouch (permanently), Henderson (on loan) and a bit of cash too. They both had a big part to play in our Scottish Cup win later that season.

CallumLaidlaw
06-05-2019, 04:20 PM

That is 100% minutes he same guy that has the twitter “fame”

wpj
06-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Seen Hibs fans thrown into polis vans for doing literally nothing on the approach to Ibrox before. Nowadays you could record it so I guess it happens less but I remember police holding fans in cells just so they'd miss the game and being pretty smug about it.

Happened to me before the Skol cup final, shoved in a van with a few others. The van was only able to open from the outside which a passing Hibs fan kindly did so we all legged it.

Mantis Toboggan
06-05-2019, 04:49 PM
That is 100% minutes he same guy that has the twitter “fame”

Same clown was posting ***** of a similar ilk on the Auld Hibs page the other day. What an absolute cretin.

Killiehibbie
06-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Yesterday was the loudest i've heard some of the inappropriate songs in a long time. I wish everybody would go back to singing about our team and leave their political views at home.

Jones28
06-05-2019, 05:24 PM

Thankfully this is the minority. What a dick.

Hibernia&Alba
06-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Yesterday was the loudest i've heard some of the inappropriate songs in a long time. I wish everybody would go back to singing about our team and leave their political views at home.

Very much so. We don't want an Old Firm mentality, whereby particular political/religious views are expected as part of the package. I think the diversity is healthy and we are the better for it. I support Irish unity and the socialist vision of 1916, but in no way do I consider it a requirement of being a Hibs fan. The views of fellow Hibees are none of my business, and it's perfectly fine if non-football issues are seen differently by others. Calling fellow supporters who bother to follow the team 'Hunbernians' is a disgrace.

malcolm
06-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Loads of horrible stories from the 70's and early 80's involving plod Glasgow that spawned my disrespect and general distrust and my belief that many of them allowed their choice of football club and/ Or lodge membership get in the way of their professionalism.

Once got into fir park pretty early, we 5 of us standing on an empty terracing. Glasgows finest arrived and stood at intervals on the steps then walked into the small crowd randomly lifting folk. My mate got taken into a van outside and was told he was being ejected for "affray". He'd done nothing and when he asked to see a senior officer was released but told he had to pay to get in again. Sneering cop stood by him whilst he did so.

Wife got spat on by a mutant child at Ibrox, steward wasn't interested even though he seen it. We pointed the beast out but the steward said we'd all be ejected if we didn't back off. A complaint to the cop standing at the front was met with a smirk and "What do you expect when you come to ibrox" then strolled off.

After a cup game against celtc one of our party got back to our mini bus early but wasn't there when we arrived. Eventually found out he'd been arrested and jailed overnight. He'd a bust nose and cut mouth. He said he was standing at the front of the bus and was thrown to the ground by 2 cops. Hit a few times then carted off in a van.

The following day he refused to plead guilty or accept the offence and wanted to make a complaint.was advised it was his word against theirs, photos were taken but ultimately got nowhere even though no charges were actually brought.

I could go on.....

Not doubting you but interesting word to use. I know the Strathclyde Police were capable of let’s say err questionable behaviour but I doubt any of them would have uttered a term alien to Scots law. It like GBH, ABH or other English terms, might have been used in general speech picked up from watching the sweeney or Z cars but will never have been used by a Scottish policeman even one from Motherwell :wink: aw woight aw woight evening all

Bostonhibby
06-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Not doubting you but interesting word to use. I know the Strathclyde Police were capable of let’s say err questionable behaviour but I doubt any of them would have uttered a term alien to Scots law. It like GBH, ABH or other English terms, might have been used in general speech picked up from watching the sweeney or Z cars but will never have been used by a Scottish policeman even one from Motherwell :wink: aw woight aw woight evening all

Long time ago but definitely affray was the term used. Think it's fair to say we weren't dealing with the finest legal minds.

That said I'm pretty sure they were just chucking out a few Hibbies and resorted to saying anything once challenged.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-05-2019, 07:16 PM
I was told by one of Strathclyde's finest at Ibrox many moons ago that I would get lifted for breach of the peace if I shook my head at him again. 😄

dchibs
06-05-2019, 08:00 PM

The guy who sang with steps.

JimBHibees
06-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Idiots like that can go and "support" another team.

And I would suggest get a life.

LancashireHibby
06-05-2019, 08:12 PM
I think there’s a certain element of money see, monkey do in the current situation. Those responsible are seeing the rise in Union Flags and the like at Tynecastle (and by extension Ibrox) and this is their way of countering that. Much like when Celtic fans started to take Palestinian flags to games so of course Rangers fans then started to take Israel flags.

First off, leave that rubbish to the Old Firm, and secondly, even as an Englishman, I’d much rather the reaction to the growing Unionism over the road to be an increase in saltires at ER rather than tricolours.

This idea that it is people supporting our history is ludicrous when those responsible have never picked up a history book in their lives.

Maybe people - Hibs fans, Jambos, Weegies, whoever - could just start singing about their football team instead. You never know, it might catch on.

MagicSwirlingShip
06-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Two beautiful songs in their own right, that don't bother me one bit. Its the Ooh-Aah Up-The's etc that I want absolutely nothing to do with

majorhibs
06-05-2019, 08:33 PM
I mind the Robbo song. It never really put him off his game though did it?!!

That day? He was subbed at 1/2 time.

majorhibs
06-05-2019, 09:14 PM
If I knew how, I’d put the snapshot of post fi yest wi nowt much except calling hermit crab mr undercover, which you’ve deleted for the umpteenth time, but obv someone doesnae like mr undercover. If I call him mr overcover, will that be sufficient to avoid deleting?

CMurdoch
06-05-2019, 09:17 PM

You should have told him singing the songs makes him a Sc*mbernian :aok:

Vini1875
06-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Here is the problem though for many who support or have sympathy with the Republican cause in Ireland. The objection to singing Irish Republican songs at Hibs games is either one of opposition to the cause or opposition to politics at football. If it is opposition to the cause then that sets up the battle to defeat or convert fellow Hunbernians/Hibs fans. If it is oppositions to politics at football games, again it sets up the battle to convert or defeat. Banning folk again only creates notoriety and battles.

Many Hibs supporters have sympathy with the Irish Republican view on Ireland, but don't think singing rebel songs etc at football games is the way to achieve a united Ireland. Clearly more than a few on here take a different view and are clearly opposed to the Irish Republican view point. Whatever your viewpoint these things come and go.

HibeeHibernian4
06-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Here is the problem though for many who support or have sympathy with the Republican cause in Ireland. The objection to singing Irish Republican songs at Hibs games is either one of opposition to the cause or opposition to politics at football.

I am not opposed to politics in football per se. I think it's impossible to separate the two at times.

However, I think it can be pretty easy for Hibs to pick and choose our political stances on the terraces. For example, we had a 'refugees welcome' banner at the top of the East Stand which was (almost) universally agreed upon by the Hibs support. If there was any opposition to it I certainly didn't read or hear about it.

I am a Republican with Irish family, I have a great deal of sympathy with the cause and still have hopes of seeing a united Ireland in my lifetime. However, the manner in which the IRA went about trying to achieve it was, frankly, wrong. It claimed innocent lives and some of the later bombings in the Troubles lost rather than gained support for their cause.

So I have sympathy with Irish republicanism, I don't think football and politics are mutually exclusive, and yet I still believe that we shouldn't sing those songs in our stands.

LancashireHibby
06-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Here is the problem though for many who support or have sympathy with the Republican cause in Ireland. The objection to singing Irish Republican songs at Hibs games is either one of opposition to the cause or opposition to politics at football. If it is opposition to the cause then that sets up the battle to defeat or convert fellow Hunbernians/Hibs fans. If it is oppositions to politics at football games, again it sets up the battle to convert or defeat. Banning folk again only creates notoriety and battles.

Many Hibs supporters have sympathy with the Irish Republican view on Ireland, but don't think singing rebel songs etc at football games is the way to achieve a united Ireland. Clearly more than a few on here take a different view and are clearly opposed to the Irish Republican view point. Whatever your viewpoint these things come and go.
Football supporters are a social movement so it is inevitable that politics do become involved every now and then. What I do take issue with is the relevance of Irish republicanism - historic or otherwise - with a Scottish football match, and even more so any perceived support of a terrorist group.

majorhibs
06-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Reckon ye’ve got yer many’s & minority’s wrong way round there buddy, bein educated at Holyrood & maist yer mates fi Leithie, ye get used to the same at the time 75% Protestant 25% catholic thing at the time, while youngsters & all Hibs fans then, guid few who’se auld men at the time were set in their ways! Kids then handled plenty, but some hooses ye were in with your mates, well, frosty would be a description on the tame side.

NAE NOOKIE
06-05-2019, 09:34 PM

Really?

I would be prepared to wager that probably at least 80% or more of the Hibs support are sympathetic to the cause of a united Ireland and I would bet the vast majority of fans outside of the two who have supporters who cant separate what team they support from their politics would be pretty close to that too.

You don't have to be a Hibs fan a Celtic fan or even Irish to see the common sense in a united Ireland, especially if you bother to learn the history of how it became disunited in the first place. Even as one who doesn't believe that Hibs should ever be a vehicle for displays of Irish republicanism for the reasons I've given in other posts, if anybody asks me I'll happily argue all day long as to why Ireland should be one nation.

Antifa Hibs
06-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Football supporters are a social movement so it is inevitable that politics do become involved every now and then. What I do take issue with is the relevance of Irish republicanism - historic or otherwise - with a Scottish football match, and even more so any perceived support of a terrorist group.

One man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter etc etc

Is this song acceptable by the song police? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCxtX1frDQ&t=

superfurryhibby
06-05-2019, 09:37 PM
In all honesty as an intellectual argument nobody could disagree with the fact that of itself the 'cause' of Irish republicanism and Irish unity which gave rise to the IRA is a just and noble one, you don't have to be Simon Schama to know that the bloody history of that island came about as a direct result of English and then British imperialism. What I can never be on the side of is the murder of innocent men women and children for the sake of that cause ( any cause ) and that's why I cant subscribe to the IRA's methods, certainly since the 1970s, or sing songs in celebration of them.

On top of that, when it comes to Hibs the social depravation and nationalistic and religious bigotry our founders overcame in order to be accepted in Edinburgh / Scotland is an aspect of the club's history I think everybody could and should be proud of, its a true life story of rising above adversity. But that is their history, not mine, the undoubted loyalty to Ireland and love for the place our original founders would have had does not obligate me, a Scotsman who has never even set foot in Ireland, to behave like a pseudo Irishman on the terraces of Scotland's football grounds and wave its national symbols around or sing songs about the place just because I happen to support the football club they founded. Other folk might have a different view and that's their prerogative, but its a view I cant subscribe to.

I'm a lifelong Scottish nationalist, I was voting SNP when they were nothing more than a fringe party and laughed at by the unionists as little more than an offshoot of the White heather club ( ask yer mum :greengrin ) Post the 2014 referendum there is even a group on social media posting as 'Hibs fans for independence' which I love to see. But all that being said I wouldn't want to see Hibs as a club used as a vehicle by folk with the same opinion as me to promote Scottish independence, for the simple reason that our support is made up of folk with many political, social and even religious beliefs … to try and make the club a vehicle for any of those beliefs would inevitably prove divisive and that's something nobody wants to see

I'll finish by saying that I'm not a regular Hibs away fan barring semi finals, finals and the odd big cup tie or attractive away pre season friendly. Because of that I have little knowledge of the conduct of our regular away support. But if what I'm reading on here of songs about Fernando Ricksen, the Ibrox disaster and even Piper Alpha are true the folk doing that are absolute **** and I'm ashamed to see them associated with our club in any way.

:top marks

Very well put.

surreyhibbie
06-05-2019, 09:48 PM
You wouldn't sing about people being a ****er in the street either but plenty rightly do so at certain referees :greengrin

To be fair, they usually are...

CMurdoch
06-05-2019, 09:55 PM

Is this song acceptable by the song police? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCxtX1frDQ&t=

From a song writing and music point of view the verses are great but the choruses are embarrassingly poor.

The Harp Awakes
06-05-2019, 10:08 PM

Haven't heard that song before. Enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

Stokesy's on fire
06-05-2019, 10:17 PM

I love this song! Was lucky enough to listen to it live once

marinello59
06-05-2019, 11:51 PM
If I knew how, I’d put the snapshot of post fi yest wi nowt much except calling hermit crab mr undercover, which you’ve deleted for the umpteenth time, but obv someone doesnae like mr undercover. If I call him mr overcover, will that be sufficient to avoid deleting?

How about you post without having digs? No need.

Haymaker
07-05-2019, 02:15 AM
I was told by one of Strathclyde's finest at Ibrox many moons ago that I would get lifted for breach of the peace if I shook my head at him again. 😄

I was told I be lifted for "not being in my seat area" and "blocking the stairs" at the 07 cup final... I had my right leg outside my "seat area" :faf:

Sir David Gray
07-05-2019, 06:35 AM
Not the police but the stewards this time but my brother was told by one of them on Sunday that he would be thrown out if he caused any more bother.

His crime?

The steward had found a bottle (not my brother's) next to my brother's seat and assumed it must have been his despite having no evidence that he had brought the bottle into the stadium or even that he had been drinking from it.

He only backed down when a fan next to my brother told the steward that the bottle did not belong to my brother.

These guys are honestly on a different planet.

LancashireHibby
07-05-2019, 07:14 AM

The IRA murdered hundreds of innocent civilians, including children. I’m amazed I’m having to type this but surely that aspect isn’t up for debate?

Pretty Boy
07-05-2019, 07:31 AM
The IRA murdered hundreds of innocent civilians, including children. I’m amazed I’m having to type this but surely that aspect isn’t up for debate?

To play devil's advocate somewhat the IRA referenced in songs such as 'Come out ye Black & Tans', 'Rifles of the IRA' or 'Boys of the Old Brigade' was a different entity to the provos of the troubles or the Real IRA of the 90s. Those songs reference events preceding and throughout the 1916 Easter Rising as opposed to glorifying the actions of the troubles and beyond.

Of course that isn't meant as a suggestion that they are appropriate for an airing in a Scottish football ground and it's debatable how many singing them have knowledge of what they are singing about compared to how many are doing it for the shock value.

.Sean.
07-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Why do Scottish folk with no family ties to Ireland care one jot about Irish politics? Seriously, I just don’t get it.

My mum was born in Belfast and her parents (one Scottish, one Irish) moved back to her fathers birthplace in Scotland at the height of the Troubles so I think I’d be as qualified if not more so to get involved and take an interest than the bams who for some reason feel the need to sing the IRA pish and who have more than likely never even set foot in Ireland yet I don’t feel the need to pretend I’m some ‘Freedom Fighter’ (ie terrorist). I wouldn’t be seen dead indulging in that garbage full stop, never mind at a Hibs game.

I just do not get it, especially at a football match. This also goes for the tens of thousands of plastic Irish, Celtic supporting knuckledraggers too.

Carheenlea
07-05-2019, 07:45 AM
Only heard a couple of bursts of the Stokes Dad song, but didn’t sound to me like that were were “hundreds” singing it as previously suggested back through this thread.
We’re still talking a handful of fans, and the same handful that has attracted attention before. I guess the couple of guys behind it all are enjoying very much the attention and outrage they are attracting on this thread, but as far as I’m concerned we don’t have a sectarian/pro-republican problem at Hibs. Never have done and never will.
A lot of fans will have support for republican politics in the north of Ireland, but most will do so without feeling it necessary for using Hibs games as a vehicle to express them. I’m sure the club will know full well who the main protagonists are, LD in particular due to being regularly abused on Twitter by one. They’ll be keeping an eye on it, but I suspect they are not taking it too seriously given the handful involved and the fact a lot of the inflammatory social media from them is pretty much a fishing outing.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Why do Scottish folk with no family ties to Ireland care one jot about Irish politics? Seriously, I just don’t get it.

My mum was born in Belfast and her parents (one Scottish, one Irish) moved back to her fathers birthplace in Scotland at the height of the Troubles so I think I’d be as qualified if not more so to get involved and take an interest than the bams who for some reason feel the need to sing the IRA pish and who have more than likely never even set foot in Ireland yet I don’t feel the need to pretend I’m some ‘Freedom Fighter’ (ie terrorist). I wouldn’t be seen dead indulging in that garbage full stop, never mind at a Hibs game.

I just do not get it, especially at a football match. This also goes for the tens of thousands of plastic Irish, Celtic supporting knuckledraggers too.

I’d say some of it is anti-British/imperialism feeling as much as it is Pro Ireland.

Stokesy's on fire
07-05-2019, 08:23 AM

People can care about anything they feel the need to care about. When i go online and read about what has happened in places Like gaza, Nigeria, Sri lanka and so on i often wish that the politicians in these areas could do more to help their people. the world is not a pleasant place these days.

.Sean.
07-05-2019, 08:43 AM
People can care about anything they feel the need to care about. When i go online and read about what has happened in places Like gaza, Nigeria, Sri lanka and so on i often wish that the politicians in these areas could do more to help their people. the world is not a pleasant place these days.
That’s all very well but why sing about it at Scottish football matches? I fail to see the relevance nor have I heard singing in support of Sri Lanka or Nigeria.

Speedway
07-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Video it, upload it, get them identified, screenshot it, send it to the club. Done.

Itsnoteasy
07-05-2019, 08:51 AM

The world's not been a pleasant place for a long time.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-05-2019, 08:58 AM
That’s all very well but why sing about it at Scottish football matches? I fail to see the relevance nor have I heard singing in support of Sri Lanka or Nigeria.

Perhaps if Hibs played the oppressors of any of these places you would ?

Blaster
07-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Really?

I would be prepared to wager that probably at least 80% or more of the Hibs support are sympathetic to the cause of a united Ireland and I would bet the vast majority of fans outside of the two who have supporters who cant separate what team they support from their politics would be pretty close to that too.

You don't have to be a Hibs fan a Celtic fan or even Irish to see the common sense in a united Ireland, especially if you bother to learn the history of how it became disunited in the first place. Even as one who doesn't believe that Hibs should ever be a vehicle for displays of Irish republicanism for the reasons I've given in other posts, if anybody asks me I'll happily argue all day long as to why Ireland should be one nation.

Really? I have 8 family members who regularly attend Easter road who don’t give a toss about a united ireland or indeed anything about Ireland in general

Not ignoring our Irish history by any means. But not interested in the slightest

HibeeHibernian4
07-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Video it, upload it, get them identified, screenshot it, send it to the club. Done.

I wouldn't sing any of these songs, but what can the club do about republican songs?

Should we be singing Boys of the Old Brigade? No.

Is singing it worthy of a ban? I don't think it is.

oldbutdim
07-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Really? I have 8 family members who regularly attend Easter road who don’t give a toss about a united ireland or indeed anything about Ireland in general

Not ignoring our Irish history by any means. But not interested in the slightest

Most Hibs fans I know are pretty much the same - get the Hibs gear, go to the games, even get the tattoos, but have little or no knowledge/interest in Irish politics.

Hibernian Verse
07-05-2019, 09:24 AM

If you are who I think you are then you were standing right beside the police when shouting for the singing to stop? The responses came from 4 or 5 of the "young team". One in particular who couldn't walk straight he was so ****ed, but the police just stood beside you watching as you were called an "Orange *******" by a number of people, including a mother with her kid which was quite amazing.

Going back to another post, the Fernando Ricksen song was heard at Haymarket when we arrived back.

It's a societal issue, not solely a Hibernian one IMO.

Keith_M
07-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Perhaps if Hibs played the oppressors of any of these places you would ?

We were playing another football team. Some of theiir fans are loathsome, but they haven't, as far as Im aware, invaded any foreign countries recently.

Some perspective might be in order. Maybe a desire not to drag the good name of our club through the mud as well.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-05-2019, 10:32 AM
We were playing another football team. Some of theiir fans are loathsome, but they haven't, as far as Im aware, invaded any foreign countries recently.

Some perspective might be in order. Maybe a desire not to drag the good name of our club through the mud as well.

Don’t mistake my post for condoning or agreeing with what I mentioned. The point I wanted to get across was that some football fans consider winding up the opposition fans and singing songs that rile them / support their rivals etc as important as backing their own team l

The Harp Awakes
07-05-2019, 12:27 PM

There is no doubt that Hearts have had a growing problem with sectarianism in their fan base in recent years. Many of them just sounded like full fat Huns at the last game at Easter Road. I think what we are seeing is a reaction to that in a small section of the Hibs support. Unwanted but was always going to happen IMHO.

The main antagonists here are Neanderthals in Govan and a failure to take their fans to task for their racism and bigotry over decades. Celtic fans also spout their political p1sh and failure to deal with either Club means Hearts and Hibs fans think they can get away with the same.

Antifa Hibs
07-05-2019, 01:30 PM

People have interests in politics over the world. Seem heavily keen on USA politics, others Catalan and Spain, others a big interest in the Middle East, others Ireland. You never hear people get called a plastic yank, arab or spaniard though. Strange...

Their aim wasn't to murder innocent civilians and if you glorify in innocents getting killed then you are indeed a fanny. Ironically it was the murdering of innocent civilians in Ballymurphy and Derry that led to increased IRA numbers - the British government and her army helped with the recruitment drive for the IRA in modern times, infact they pretty much did all the work!

Personally as i've said i've no interest in singing rebel songs at a fitba match as its Celtics thing. Goto a gig or a republican march if that's your thing. In saying that, singing them absolutely shouldn't get you banned from anywhere, that's ridiculous (same goes for most of the huns dittys). The Levein dodgy organ, Skacel, paedo and Mercer songs are more offensive than most Celtic and Rangers songs TBH.

Also clubs and authorities reek of double standards. William Wallace (Mel Gibson anyway) used to get piped through the PA at Hampden, we've had a minutes silence for Mandela but a Bobby Sands banner would get you banned? "Politics have no place in football" yet Labour and SNP have pitch side advertising? "Songs of rebellion have no place at a football match", neither does the British Army but they're paraded around on the pitches all over the UK.

JimBHibees
07-05-2019, 02:00 PM
People have interests in politics over the world. Seem heavily keen on USA politics, others Catalan and Spain, others a big interest in the Middle East, others Ireland. You never hear people get called a plastic yank, arab or spaniard though. Strange...

Their aim wasn't to murder innocent civilians and if you glorify in innocents getting killed then you are indeed a fanny. Ironically it was the murdering of innocent civilians in Ballymurphy and Derry that led to increased IRA numbers - the British government and her army helped with the recruitment drive for the IRA in modern times, infact they pretty much did all the work!

Personally as i've said i've no interest in singing rebel songs at a fitba match as its Celtics thing. Goto a gig or a republican march if that's your thing. In saying that, singing them absolutely shouldn't get you banned from anywhere, that's ridiculous (same goes for most of the huns dittys). The Levein dodgy organ, Skacel, paedo and Mercer songs are more offensive than most Celtic and Rangers songs TBH.

Also clubs and authorities reek of double standards. William Wallace (Mel Gibson anyway) used to get piped through the PA at Hampden, we've had a minutes silence for Mandela but a Bobby Sands banner would get you banned? "Politics have no place in football" yet Labour and SNP have pitch side advertising? "Songs of rebellion have no place at a football match", neither does the British Army but they're paraded around on the pitches all over the UK.

So what was bombing busy pubs and shopping precincts likely to do?:confused:

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2019, 02:08 PM
So what was bombing busy pubs and shopping precincts likely to do?:confused:

🍿 time

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2019, 02:27 PM

What a load of pish, who were they aiming for when they let bombs off all over England with little or no warnings killing innocent men women and children.

Keith_M
07-05-2019, 02:31 PM
It is possible, as some have suggested, that I take this kind of thing too seriously.

I just worry that some Hibs Fans are giving people even more reason to make cheap digs at our club.

The Rangers and Celtc have for a long time represented an ugly religio/political divide and I'd rather we kept as far away from that as possible.

Keith_M
07-05-2019, 02:43 PM

He made some vieled threat about seeing me outside the station, as did one of his mates, but that was the last I saw of them.

They were so brave they wouldn't follow an auld guy out into Buchanan St.

Smartie
07-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Terrorists are ****bags.

The IRA, loyalists, islamic fundamentalists, white supremacists and all the others are all the same.

The ends do not justify the means of killing innocents no matter what you believe in.

There is a legitimate opinion to be held re the various unions that Scotland, Ireland and all nations choose to be part of and there are appropriate places to have debates as such.

Like f I'll ever be singing songs in favour of terrorist organisations.

I suppose I've got a sympathy with the position that initially the IRA of over a century ago had a legitimate cause. But that timescale renders it utterly irrelevant to a 21st century Scottish football stadium.

I'm working with a guy from Warrington today. I'd rather he didn't know I spend time in the company of folk who glorify the actions of the IRA.

MWHIBBIES
07-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Really?

No interest in Ireland at all. I support Hibernian FOOTBALL club.

.Sean.
07-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Close thread.

Lendo
07-05-2019, 03:31 PM

Agreed.

I'm neither Catholic or Protestant.

I have never visited the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. I have no interest in the politics.

I have no Irish family members.

I support Hibs from spending my formative years living in Leith supporting my local team.

Blackfordhibby
07-05-2019, 03:37 PM
A hat trick of good posts in my book. Agree with the three of them, if it wasn't for Lochend Avenue, God knows who i'd have supported.

Newry Hibs
07-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Really?

I think you'd be surprised how many Northern Ireland nationalists / Catholics don't want to be part of a united Ireland. I think at least 98% of unionists / protestants wouldn't (no surprise there), but I don't think those numbers are replicated on the other side.

HFC93
07-05-2019, 03:46 PM

Hear, hear

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2019, 03:53 PM

I concur.

The Harp Awakes
07-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Which is completely fine.

Other Hibs fans may have an interest in Ireland, or even be Irish, which is also completely fine. The oxford dictionary definition of 'Hibernian' is .....of or concerning to Ireland....... after all.

Golden Bear
07-05-2019, 04:09 PM

AND so say all of us!

HibeeHibernian4
07-05-2019, 04:17 PM

"No interest in Ireland at all. I support Ireland Football Club."

I don't subscribe to us being an out and out Irish club, but you can surely see the contradiction in what you effectively just said?

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-05-2019, 04:23 PM

I don't subscribe to us being an out and out Irish club, but you can surely see the contradiction in what you effectively just said?

I don't, my old man is from Craigmillar, he isn't Irish but, he is a Hibs man, As am I.

Frazerbob
07-05-2019, 04:29 PM

The vast majority of Hibs fans would’ve supported the club long before they knew about the Irish connection.

HFC93
07-05-2019, 04:57 PM

"No interest in the manufacturing of munitions at all. I support Arsenal Football Club".

Smartie
07-05-2019, 05:01 PM
There got to be a S****horpe gag in there somewhere.

How about "I support S****horpe. I don't even like Michael Gove."

superbam
07-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Can't understand why this whole discussion is always so heated. Supporting Hibernian means different things to different people, deal with it. The vast majority of hibs fans I know are proud of the club's history and respect folks various reasons for supporting Hibs, some consider the link to their Irish roots significant, others it's not really a factor.

If the Irish aspect of our clubs identity doesn't interest you fine, respect the fact that it might be significant for other fans. If it is important to you, respect the fact that for many fans its not important.

Look at our badge FFS. The vast majority of us are comfortable with the multiple aspects of the club's identity, and the different meanings fans take from their support of the club. It's not difficult.

The Harp Awakes
07-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Can't understand why this whole discussion is always so heated. Supporting Hibernian means different things to different people, deal with it. The vast majority of hibs fans I know are proud of the club's history and respect folks various reasons for supporting Hibs, some consider the link to their Irish roots significant, others it's not really a factor.

The vast majority of us are comfortable with the multiple aspects of the club's identity, and the different meanings fans take from their support of the club. It's not difficult.

Well said and spot on.

Keith_M
07-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Don’t mistake my post for condoning or agreeing with what I mentioned. The point I wanted to get across was that some football fans consider winding up the opposition fans and singing songs that rile them / support their rivals etc as important as backing their own team l

No problem, it's just a discussion.

:aok:

Keith_M
07-05-2019, 05:16 PM
I think this thread has probably run it's course, and I wouldn't like to see it leading to further arguments among fellow Hibbies, so I'm going to close it.