PDA

View Full Version : McNulty

Hibs90
05-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Poor again today, granted zero help at times but he has been woeful since the Scotland call up, only thing of note he's done is set up the first goal at Tynie. Certainly wouldn't be bursting the bank to keep him. Start Shaw last 2 games, lets see if he can grab a goal or two.

Weegreenman
05-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Poor again today, granted zero help at times but he has been woeful since the Scotland call up, only thing of note he's done is set up the first goal at Tynie. Certainly wouldn't be bursting the bank to keep him. Start Shaw last 2 games, lets see if he can grab a goal or two.

Disagree. Ye he hasn’t been great of late but a lot of that is down to poor service. I’d defo be trying to keep him.

A Hi-Bee
05-05-2019, 04:57 PM

We need a hell of a lot more than Shaw can offer to progress next season, we need quality and McNulty is quality not much anyone can do when up against 2 or 3 defenders and that is just went the ball got to him, the service today was cronic, very poor with 3 or 4 sevconians chasing the ball we coudnie pass water today.

The_Horde
05-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Disagree. Ye he hasn’t been great of late but a lot of that is down to poor service. I’d defo be trying to keep him.

Bit of both really. We lack attacking threat but he's a part of that.

Unseen work
05-05-2019, 04:59 PM
The service has been poor but at the times he gets it into him it’s not sticking as his first touch has been poor. Is a lot better with someone else up top with him.

Got off to a great start but all of a sudden his goal scoring record isn’t looking too great, especially when you consider the amount that have been pens.

That said, would still like to get him back.

SingaporeHibs
05-05-2019, 05:23 PM
I’m going to defend him today as he had virtually no support at all. It needs a hell of a player to play a lone striker role but even if we had a player like that , then the support needs arrive quickly or the passing into him needs to be much better to give a lone striker any hope at all. There was no support today and the balls into him were dreadful.
This same situation was exactly what started Flo on his steady decline in confidence and performances. The set up alone looked much better once the positive substitutions were made and there was at least players closer to help. We should always play with 2 strikers on the park.

kaimendhibs
05-05-2019, 05:29 PM
I like him but he was rotten today

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

BoltonHibee
05-05-2019, 05:31 PM
He’s not really a lone striker, and that’s what he is being asked to play... for quite s number of games now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
05-05-2019, 05:39 PM
He’s not really a lone striker, and that’s what he is being asked to play... for quite s number of games now

Yep, but it could be argued that his particular style does not really suit the way we play...much the same story as Jamie.

SingaporeHibs
05-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Yep, but it could be argued that his particular style does not really suit the way we play...much the same story as Jamie.
I would argue it only doesn’t suit our style this season as the squad is completely unbalanced. His performances have only started to slide once we started playing him alone with Flo on the left or again today where he was completely isolated. I really hope we play the next couple of games with 2 strikers on the pitch. After those games I don’t see him staying anyway so PH is needs to find his own players

BoltonHibee
05-05-2019, 05:47 PM

He was doing ok when he was part of a duo. You are right, he doesn’t suit our current style of play

H18 SFR
05-05-2019, 05:53 PM
I'm hoping him going off the boil might help us get him then when the manager gets the right players in like Scott Allan he can go back to a tried and tested two up top which suits McNulty.

Blaster
05-05-2019, 05:58 PM

It can’t always be down to poor service though. His basic hold up play today was very poor.

Centre Hawf
05-05-2019, 06:00 PM
I’m happy to keep him but I certainly don’t think I’d break the bank for him either which I suspect we may have to do. Thought Flo looked far better than him when he came on.

cabbageandribs1875
05-05-2019, 06:08 PM
only just realised he played for our u17's 10 years ago :greengrin i imagine reading might like a bit of that 1m+ investment back

BILLYHIBS
05-05-2019, 07:17 PM
only just realised he played for our u17's 10 years ago :greengrin i imagine reading might like a bit of that 1m+ investment back

It’s a no from me!

J-C
05-05-2019, 07:21 PM

Depends what you mean by a lone striker, our problem today was the 2-3 players playing behind him offered absolutely nowt and almost never supported him in attack, changed a little when Agyepong and Kamberi came on but in the 4-2-3-1 system you need the 3 to be pushing forward in support.

Tyler Durden
05-05-2019, 07:28 PM
I'm hoping him going off the boil might help us get him then when the manager gets the right players in like Scott Allan he can go back to a tried and tested two up top which suits McNulty.

I wouldn’t imagine we’ll be playing 2 out and out strikers and Scott Allan next season. It’ll be a 4-2-3-1 like it was today. Maybe a diamond on occasion but there aren’t many teams playing 2 centre forwards any more and that’s because it leaves you short in midfield.

McNulty has shown he’s more than capable of playing that number 9 role but he has had a few poor games now. He set a very high standard in his first few months so it’s not all that surprising that he’s tailed off a bit.

Boyle and Allan will make a huge difference next season.

cocopops1875
05-05-2019, 11:34 PM
He was doing ok when he was part of a duo. You are right, he doesn’t suit our current style of play

Said this a couple of weeks ago to my mate, I feel sorry for Sparky as I feel the way we are playing doesn’t allow him to produce his best

MagicSwirlingShip
05-05-2019, 11:57 PM
A striker is as good as the service they get.

Absolutely honking from middle to front from us today.

cabbageandribs1875
06-05-2019, 04:49 AM
It’s a no from me!

i always defended Jason Cummings, especially when we were in the championship with him playing the lone-striker role often, and next to no service, just like cummings McNulty is a wee guy trying to control high balls(mostly) up to him and i honestly can't make my mind up about how he effective he could actually be in a different system, he puts in a load of work,like jamie maclaren before him but that terrible miss for Scotland(and a similar miss for hibs even more recently) did start me thinking Mmmm 'maybe naw', i like my strikers feeding off balls crossed into the box,preferably from the byline, and maybe boyle would be the answer or even scott allan dribbling into the box, unfortunately we won't get to see that if he's off back to reading after the next two games, maybe the heck could show the reading boss a video clip of that Scotland miss and encourage them to accept a knock-down transfer fee...say maybe 150k :)

Peevemor
06-05-2019, 06:23 AM
i always defended Jason Cummings, especially when we were in the championship with him playing the lone-striker role often, and next to no service, just like cummings McNulty is a wee guy trying to control high balls(mostly) up to him and i honestly can't make my mind up about how he effective he could actually be in a different system, he puts in a load of work,like jamie maclaren before him but that terrible miss for Scotland(and a similar miss for hibs even more recently) did start me thinking Mmmm 'maybe naw', i like my strikers feeding off balls crossed into the box,preferably from the byline, and maybe boyle would be the answer or even scott allan dribbling into the box, unfortunately we won't get to see that if he's off back to reading after the next two games, maybe the heck could show the reading boss a video clip of that Scotland miss and encourage them to accept a knock-down transfer fee...say maybe 150k :)

When McNulty was scoring regularly for us, most of his goals came from the space he made for himself - either well times runs to break the offside trap or losing his defender in the box. That can't work if he's left up on his own.

I would hold on to him if possible as I think he'd score plenty with service from the likes of Allan & Boyle.

B.H.F.C
06-05-2019, 06:48 AM
A striker is as good as the service they get.

Absolutely honking from middle to front from us today.

He needed to bring the midfield in to play though but the ball just bounced off him any time it came his direction.

JimBHibees
06-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Hasn't been at his best the last few games however to me he has shown enough that he would be an excellent signing.

Allant1981
06-05-2019, 07:19 AM
He is getting no service at all just now but on the same hand a good striker will make his own luck. Nothing seems to be coming off for him just now. Hopefully just a wee blip. He is more than good enough to be our main striker next season

Lago
06-05-2019, 11:48 AM
It was a hard shift for him yesterday with little help from the like of Horgan, but I did think he seems to be carrying a bit too much weight, maybe my imagination.

hughio
06-05-2019, 11:55 AM
How long is his contract with Reading?Another loan spell maybe a possibility?

cabbageandribs1875
06-05-2019, 12:22 PM
When McNulty was scoring regularly for us, most of his goals came from the space he made for himself - either well times runs to break the offside trap or losing his defender in the box. That can't work if he's left up on his own.

I would hold on to him if possible as I think he'd score plenty with service from the likes of Allan & Boyle.

:agree:

How long is his contract with Reading?Another loan spell maybe a possibility?

still 3 years left of a four year contract, scored a lot of goals at coventry before his move to reading, reading results/performances picked up a bit the last 3 months, maybe off-loading him to us for a season could suit all three parties