PDA

View Full Version : Finishing 5th with that team is an achievement

cleanyman
05-05-2019, 04:24 PM
If we finish 5th this season I'm happy with that.

If we look back at December we were rudderless and looking at a bottom 6 finish which no one could have complained about

PH had delivered some solid results and has taken us up to 5th place which is good going

Ultimately too many players this season haven't been up to scratch and despite their plaudits they won't be good enough in helping us to challenge the teams above us who are simply better

Looking forward to next season

Bangkok Hibby
05-05-2019, 04:45 PM

If we look back at December we were rudderless and looking at a bottom 6 finish which no one could have complained about

PH had delivered some solid results and has taken us up to 5th place which is good going

Ultimately too many players this season haven't been up to scratch and despite their plaudits they won't be good enough in helping us to challenge the teams above us who are simply better

Mmm yes kind of. If we had finished bottom 6 I would have complained about Lennon, not the team. Also looking forward to next season with optimism. 5th place finish after the freefall earlier is a result.

Ozyhibby
05-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Fresh blood needed in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
05-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Agree. Top half was a tall order, reigning in Hearts even more so.

End of the day Heckingbottom had been left with too many ineffectual players from midfield forward. Hopefully something that will change next season.

Stuart93

Are you feeling okay?

What have you done with the real cleanyman

I agree completely though

Col2
Considering where we were late Jan I agree it’s more positive but we should be aiming for top 4 and today and last week proved that we don’t have the ability to really have a go at teams.

Disappointing performance today, no real positives and didn’t look like scoring. One real chance late on.

Hearts will need to get 4 points minimum to finish ahead of us and trust me that’s not happening especially given opposition and we should still pick up a point or two.

hibIBZ
05-05-2019, 04:51 PM
I agree with the OP. We have done ok with what we have got and with the change of manager etc. There is certain players who are just not cutting it. Kamberi is way off the pace of the player we have seen. McNulty started well but has since gone backwards and can't see him being back next season anyway. The game against hearts apart, Horgan is largely annoymous in most games. Struggles to get on the ball. Mallan has been solid but perhaps lacks a bit of creativity, hopefully having Allen in there next season will help him with that. I think players like Bartley time is up, been a great player for us but perhaps time to move on.

Weegreenman
05-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Agree with the O.P and just want the season to be over now :agree:

SingaporeHibs
05-05-2019, 04:55 PM

I think the team/squad lacked balance this season and PH has worked a minor miracle picking up the pieces particularly with injuries to key players.
The next big test of PH is coming now. It’s the same test Lennon failed with last summer. Can PH keep and release the right players and more importantly bring in his own to build a successful squad for next season.
I’m hopeful !! GGTTH

GGTTH07
05-05-2019, 05:07 PM
We are only 3 points above a very poor hearts team,think that’s a true indication of our squad this season.PH has done a fantastic job with the squad at his disposal.Think he will be a great manager for us once he gets his own squad together

Pretty Boy
05-05-2019, 05:11 PM
I think PH and the players deserve plenty credit for securing the top 6, a few months ago we looked like playing 7 or 8 games to finish somewhere between 7th and 9th. To get to the 3rd last game and still have a chance at Europe deserves credit. I'm a bit disappointed at the way the last 2 weeks panned out but overall I've seen enough to be positive about Heckingbotttom.

Realistically though we are probably 3 or 4 good players short of overhauling Aberdeen and the points difference and results against them in the last 2 seasons reflect that. 1 win against them in 7 games doesn't lie. I said last summer the squad needed major surgery, I said it again after Lennon went and I'm saying it again now. We need a few fresh faces ready to come in and start game.

cleanyman
05-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Are you feeling okay?

What have you done with the real cleanyman

I agree completely though

I have my moments

500miles
05-05-2019, 08:16 PM
It would be an achievement based on where Lennon left us. We should have been looking at Europe this year if he hadn't spent most of the season falling out with everyone.

we are hibs
05-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Achievement from where heckingbottom picked up but from the start of the season I expected more from us this season. Poor in both cups and its not been pretty for the majority of the season in the league. Apart from the wee European run at the start of the season and the win at tynie it's pretty much been a season defined by "meh".

Since452
05-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Getting Allan in is absolutely massive. A brilliant first summer signing. Can't wait for next season already.

Baader
06-05-2019, 12:33 AM
Agree with the OP. Considering the wheels looked well and truly off before Lennon left its a good achievement. The major disappointment was not taking full points off the Gorgie mob at ER last week when we should have.

Work to be done over the summer though that's for sure.

Mango Man
06-05-2019, 01:55 AM
Achievement from where heckingbottom picked up but from the start of the season I expected more from us this season. Poor in both cups and its not been pretty for the majority of the season in the league. Apart from the wee European run at the start of the season and the win at tynie it's pretty much been a season defined by "meh".

I always thought this season was going to be a wee step backwards, replacing Allan, McGinn and Mcgeouch was always going to be a big ask.

If we finish 5th, then I will be happy with that, considering where we were a few months back.

Haymaker
06-05-2019, 02:49 AM
I always thought this season was going to be a wee step backwards, replacing Allan, McGinn and Mcgeouch was always going to be a big ask.

If we finish 5th, then I will be happy with that, considering where we were a few months back.

Correct. How do you replace that midfield at once?!

We've had a decent season considering.

Just Jimmy
06-05-2019, 04:12 AM
echoing what others have said; a solid finish considering where Lennon left us and that run of form, or 2 in 14 or whatever.

ultimately however, for the second season in a row a poor result in the derby has stopped us finishing higher or at least threatening to.

next season I'm looking for;

1. better style of football.
2. top 4.
3. above hearts
4. win both home derbies
5. don't lose away derbies
6. have a good at Celtic and rangers in these games.

not unrealistic I don't feel and the addition of Scott Allan will help enormously.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
06-05-2019, 05:42 AM
We are only 3 points above a very poor hearts team,think that’s a true indication of our squad this season.PH has done a fantastic job with the squad at his disposal.Think he will be a great manager for us once he gets his own squad together

Agree with this.

A few players need to be brought in prior to the start of the season for us to be anything other than a mid table club.