PDA

View Full Version : Worst performance of the season award goes to...

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Gauld or Milligan...

Take your pick, I can’t decide.
Two of the worst individual performances I’ve seen for quite some time.

matty_f
05-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Nice thread.

CallumLaidlaw
05-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Gauld or Milligan...

Baffled. Milligan has had a good game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
05-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Gauld or Milligan...

Delete poster

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Delete poster

Why? We all going to pretend they’re good enough? Awful performances from both today.

CallumLaidlaw
05-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Why? We all going to pretend they’re good enough? Awful performances from both today.

Milligan’s job is to protect the back four and he hasn’t put a foot wrong all game. Sure you’re got the right channel on?

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Who said that? One game doesn't make a player good enough or not good enough.

Ryan91
05-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Milligan has been fantastic since he came back from the Asian Cup, Gauld has hardly played a game in months because of injury.

Players are allowed to have an off day.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Milligan has been fantastic since he came back from the Asian Cup, Gauld has hardly played a game in months because of injury.

Players are allowed to have an off day.

Yeah I get that.. probably a lot of frustration in there to be fair. I don’t get the Milligan thing though. I’ve really tried. Seems to constantly get the ball stuck under his feet and give it away...I’m just not sure what he brings.

marinello59
05-05-2019, 04:26 PM
FFS.
Worst thread of the season award goes to .....

Crab apple
05-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Milligan was fine today. Tired in the last 15 minutes and rightly subbed.

NthCarolinaHibs
05-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Thought Milligan was ok today...Gauld was more disappointing than pish..

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Who said that? One game doesn't make a player good enough or not good enough.

Of course not. I’ve tried with Milligan but I just don’t get it.. absolute panic attack every time he’s on the ball. I’d have Bartley in there every day. Opinions I know, just sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Mallan had to take a booking for him giving it away again in a stupid place.. so frustrating.

Allant1981
05-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Gauld or Milligan...

Milligan was fine today, gauld was never going to be as sharp as we want and probably shouldn't have started

04Sauzee
05-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Worst post of the season award goes to...

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:34 PM
FFS.

Ha, aye fair enough... so frustrating though.

Sioux
05-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Of course not. I’ve tried with Milligan but I just don’t get it.. absolute panic attack every time he’s on the ball. I’d have Bartley in there every day. Opinions I know, just sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Mallan had to take a booking for him giving it away again in a stupid place.. so frustrating.

Ok you hate Milligan. Point made.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Milligan was fine today, gauld was never going to be as sharp as we want and probably shouldn't have started

Maybe.. was looking forward to seeing Gauld though and they obviously felt he was ready. He was really poor though. Giving it away in those areas will really cost you in any game never mind in Glasgow. Like you say, maybe the wrong game to bring him in.

Weegreenman
05-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Milligen’s best days are well behind him. He struggles for pace. A decent all round footballer but we need our players to be more mobile.
Wee Gould didn’t have a great game but you can clearly see he’s got quality. He’ll probably go out on loan elsewhere next season but I hope we can keep him and allow the lad to shine once again!

Borderhibbie76
05-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Milligen’s best days are well behind him. He struggles for pace. A decent all round footballer but we need our players to be more mobile.
Wee Gould didn’t have a great game but you can clearly see he’s got quality. He’ll probably go out on loan elsewhere next season but I hope we can keep him and allow the lad to shine once again!I honestly dont see why you would want to keep him?? Hes done nothing of note in the games hes been fit enough to play for us ...even before his injury?? Not for me tbh...hes living off his past reputation as a young player at Utd

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jim44
I find this place more depressing than our poorer results and performances and from me that takes some doing. We lost a football match which we were always going to struggle to win but life goes on.

jeffers

While your OP is a bit harsh, can’t disagree with much of the above. I don’t get the praise he receives think he’s slow, never seems to break out of a jog and for the money we are paying him we can get a lot better. Genuinely think if he wasn’t captain of Australia his performances would be questioned more than they are.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Ok you hate Milligan. Point made.

Absolutely not. I’m just not sure what he brings. Seems so clumsy and laboured in possession. I get some think he’s an asset and some don’t. One of these things I suppose. I just get in a bit of a panic when he picks it up in certain areas. I’m not really sure anyone knows his best position or where to actually play him. Maybe that’s a big part of it.

Ozyhibby
05-05-2019, 04:46 PM
I don’t think Milligan or Bartley is good enough. Milligan has been better recently but he sits right on top of our centre halfs and does take us forward much. He doesn’t really start attacks.
He showed nothing until after xmas. Hopefully he is up for a full season next season.
I really hope we are looking for better though.

Golden Bear
05-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Lack of pace throughout the team has been the issue throughout the season rather than individual performances.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:49 PM
While your OP is a bit harsh, can’t disagree with much of the above. I don’t get the praise he receives think he’s slow, never seems to break out of a jog and for the money we are paying him we can get a lot better. Genuinely think if he wasn’t captain of Australia his performances would be questioned more than they are.

Yeah maybe a little harsh... like I say probably a lot of frustration in there and clearly a lot of people rate him. Again we’re all entitled to an opinion.

calumhibee1
05-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Struggle to think of many positives in regard to Gauld from his time here.

Milligan has been decent second half of the season.

Weegreenman
05-05-2019, 04:52 PM
I honestly dont see why you would want to keep him?? Hes done nothing of note in the games hes been fit enough to play for us ...even before his injury?? Not for me tbh...hes living off his past reputation as a young player at Utd

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I wouldnt argue the opinion that he’s done nothing of note or that he’s living off his past reputation but surely if we can secure him on loan for next season, it’s got to be worth a punt naw?

villahibs
05-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Lack of pace throughout the team has been the issue throughout the season rather than individual performances.

Yeah possibly. Certainly never helped losing Boyle but we’ve seemed to adapt pretty well and learned to play a different way. I get what your saying though.

jeffers
05-05-2019, 04:53 PM
I wouldnt argue the opinion that he’s done nothing of note or that he’s living off his past reputation but surely if we can secure him on loan for next season, it’s got to be worth a punt naw?

Based on his contribution in his short time with us I’d say no and would hope Hecky can find better.

DarlingtonHibee
05-05-2019, 04:55 PM
FFS.

This....

Bishop Hibee
Gauld didn’t do enough but I thought Horgan was worse. Milligan did what Milligan does. I agree we need someone better than either him or Bartley in that position if we are to push on next season though. Bring back McGeoch! Also Gauld won’t be kept on.

tonyrougier123
Absolutely nae complaints about how we set up for this game.just never happened for us today.gauld is a wee bit off the pace understandably.but id like to see him back next season.he doesny like being rushed on the ball,he needs to find that space in tight situations to be more influential.

Unseen work
05-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Milligan was rather non existent again for me, a lot of passed back to Marciano and it was his couple of poor passes which lead to the loss of possession for the goal.

Gauld is an odd one. Misplaced several passes you thought would be easy for him, one point in the first half he got out a very tight situation then misplaced the 10 yard pass.

Thought Omeonga was brutal today

bigwheel
05-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Absolutely nae complaints about how we set up for this game.just never happened for us today.gauld is a wee bit off the pace understandably.but id like to see him back next season.he doesny like being rushed on the ball,he needs to find that space in tight situations to be more influential.

Felt a negative set up for me ...hope it doesn’t become a trend in big games ...

Not sure Gauld has done enough for a deal. If he gets some more game time he’ll need to put in a better shift. Looked out of place out there today ...accept your point of being off the pace mind you ...

brianmc
05-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Milligan has had some decent games for us.
Today wasn't one. Every time he receives a pass he turns towards his own goal and looks to lay it backwards.
Several times today, with Hibs keeping possession, he received a pass and instead of playing an easy 10 yard square ball to Mallan or Horgan to keep the move going, he turned back and played it 40 yards back to the goalie. Who then was pressured into punting it up the park. Giving the ball to the huns.
So, so frustrating.

As for Gauld I'd give him a 1 out of 10 rating. And I know some might think I'm being generous.

Roll on next season when Heckinbottom has his own players in.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 05:05 PM

I think it was definitely worth a punt this season not sure another can be justified. He’d been playing football before he joined so I don’t think general or match fitness was an issue then. Maybe the weather, state of the pitches we played on throughout the winter? I really don’t know. It’s more the lack of desire that concerns me. There doesn’t appear to be the hunger to win the ball back after a mistake. I thought he’d come here trying to prove to everyone how good he is and it’s just not happened. Possibly shouldn’t have been thrown in today but he was because they felt he was ready. Now match sharp or not he should’ve shown more than that.

tonyrougier123
05-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Felt a negative set up for me ...hope it doesn’t become a trend in big games ...

Not sure Gauld has done enough for a deal. If he gets some more game time he’ll need to put in a better shift. Looked out of place out there today ...accept your point of being off the pace mind you ...

I liked the idea of starting gauld and freshening it up with kamberi.if he had took his chance at the end it would have been a superb shout by heck tbh.gauld needs games mate.it seems he doesny like being rushed on the ball though,needs to find that part of his game again before you could see him being any good in this league again imo.

brianmc
05-05-2019, 05:06 PM
In reference to Omeonga's poor showing today: I think the plan was for him to keep Tavernier occupied, stop him breaking forward when they had it and to get the beating of him in the wide area when we had it.

Good idea.

Failed miserably to stop Tavernier BUT managed to completely nullify Omeonga's qualities.

skipster7
05-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Tbh ive not seen anything from Gauld so far. looks like a little boy lost anytime ive seen him. Milligan has been decent in some games but has a chronic lack of pace a needs replaced in the summer imo. twice in the 2nd half he received the ball in 10 yards of space and played it back the way !! takes this defensive mid a bit too far imo. Hopefully the young lad Murray starts the last 2 games as we desperately need legs in midfield.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Milligan has had some decent games for us.
Today wasn't one. Every time he receives a pass he turns towards his own goal and looks to lay it backwards.
Several times today, with Hibs keeping possession, he received a pass and instead of playing an easy 10 yard square ball to Mallan or Horgan to keep the move going, he turned back and played it 40 yards back to the goalie. Who then was pressured into punting it up the park. Giving the ball to the huns.
So, so frustrating.

As for Gauld I'd give him a 1 out of 10 rating. And I know some might think I'm being generous.

Roll on next season when Heckinbottom has his own players in.

I accept my OP was a bit harsh... maybe I should’ve let you do it as this is pretty much bang on my feelings on both. 👍

bigwheel
05-05-2019, 05:09 PM
I liked the idea of starting gauld and freshening it up with kamberi.if he had took his chance at the end it would have been a superb shout by heck tbh.gauld needs games mate.it seems he doesny like being rushed on the ball though,needs to find that part of his game again before you could see him being any good in this league again imo.

Could be he would develop with games - but perhaps not a project for us ....Think Fraser Murray has more about him at a younger age than Gauld does ...looks like a youth dev player. Highly skilled I’ll give you that - but doesn’t have the maturity that you’d expect for someone his age.

Might be harsh. But can’t see him being here next season

Bangkok Hibby
05-05-2019, 05:12 PM
I find this place more depressing than our poorer results and performances and from me that takes some doing. We lost a football match which we were always going to struggle to win but life goes on.

I agree, I took a slagging after saying our fans were too negative before the Hearts game but the tsunami of moaning about our players at anything less than perfection is hard to stomach. We're Hibs, we've been through good times and bad times. Finances dictate we won't REGULARLY match the Old firm.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Tbh ive not seen anything from Gauld so far. looks like a little boy lost anytime ive seen him. Milligan has been decent in some games but has a chronic lack of pace a needs replaced in the summer imo. twice in the 2nd half he received the ball in 10 yards of space and played it back the way !! takes this defensive mid a bit too far imo. Hopefully the young lad Murray starts the last 2 games as we desperately need legs in midfield.

Pretty much. It’s almost like Mallan is aware of the issue and is reluctant to get forward due to covering for Milligan (see the yellow Mallan picked up to bail him out first half).

tonyrougier123
05-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Could be he would develop with games - but perhaps not a project for us ....Think Fraser Murray has more about him at a younger age than Gauld does ...looks like a youth dev player. Highly skilled I’ll give you that - but doesn’t have the maturity that you’d expect for someone his age.

Might be harsh. But can’t see him being here next season
Point taken about maybe not our project for next season, totally see that point of view tbf.also agree about murray.would like to see what he can offer in the team 👍

truehibernian
05-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Don't see what Milligan offers at all and there are better, younger, and fitter defensive midfielders out there for less money. Gauld is a talented player but only in an attack minded side that has players around him on the same wavelength - got himself into nice positions first half but the distance between him and McNulty was so vast he always had to play a square pass inside or an over hit pass for MM to try and run onto.

For me it'll be an exciting window but one where we need seven or eight quality additions (in addition to Allan) and to shy away from getting in 'fillers' like Nelom, Bigirimana, Johnson, Spector, etc.

Bishop Hibee
05-05-2019, 05:28 PM
In reference to Omeonga's poor showing today: I think the plan was for him to keep Tavernier occupied, stop him breaking forward when they had it and to get the beating of him in the wide area when we had it.

Good idea.

Failed miserably to stop Tavernier BUT managed to completely nullify Omeonga's qualities.

Agree. Omeonga is wasted played wide. I’d drop Milligan, play Mallan deeper and put Agyepong on the left at Killie.

villahibs
05-05-2019, 05:28 PM
I agree, I took a slagging after saying our fans were too negative before the Hearts game but the tsunami of moaning about our players at anything less than perfection is hard to stomach. We're Hibs, we've been through good times and bad times. Finances dictate we won't REGULARLY match the Old firm.

I agree in theory. I get that financially we can’t compete and due to having poorer players the consistency may not always be there. Players have poor games, of course they do and if you go to ibrox and give it away you might get punished more than you would in other games. I’m not talking perfection here, I’m talking about continuously giving the ball away in dangerous areas. Rangers press you, there’s opportunity to make mistakes but don’t invite them. Milligan was possibly the most experienced guy on the park today and panicked every time he got the ball. Mallan seems to hold back as he can see it coming (hence the booking). I’m talking about doing the basics here. Gauld I understand to an extent. He’ll naturally look for a more difficult pass which obviously has less chance of succeeding. That’s not Milligan’s game. Win the ball and move it on. If a holding midfielder can’t do that your going to be in a lot of trouble.

BoomtownHibees
05-05-2019, 05:29 PM

How much is it we are paying him?

The 90+2
05-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Milligan looked like he was towing a caravan and got Mallan booked by lack of pace and composure. He’s been a lot better than when he signed but anyone saying he was food today? Where about?

brianmc
05-05-2019, 05:36 PM
I accept my OP was a bit harsh... maybe I should’ve let you do it as this is pretty much bang on my feelings on both. 👍

Cheers!
It was possibly because I gave myself an hour to calm down before posting 🤔

villahibs
05-05-2019, 05:38 PM
Cheers!
It was possibly because I gave myself an hour to calm down before posting 🤔

I’ll take note 👍😂

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Sorry mate but if you honestly think Marv is better on the ball that Milligan I'm worried for you.

BILLYHIBS
05-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Big Bartley fan but his performance home second half of the season versus The Sheep was a shocker came on with his leg strapped up and looked as though he should never have started

JohnMcM
05-05-2019, 06:15 PM
How in the name of whatever you believe in has this thread lasted two pages?

Forums are for discussion, fair enough, but this is a FAN'S forum. I always thought a fan was a supporter. A supporter, as far as I'm concerned supports the team and individual players.

I hope the players don't read this thread.

:flag:

villahibs
05-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Sorry mate but if you honestly think Marv is better on the ball that Milligan I'm worried for you.

Bartley is stronger, will fight for everything. Clearly he’s not overly gifted technically but is Milligan that much better on the ball? Really?

bigwheel
05-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Bartley is stronger, will fight for everything. Clearly he’s not overly gifted technically but is Milligan that much better on the ball? Really?

Yes

villahibs
05-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Yes

Ah well that’ll be that then 🙈

bigwheel
05-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Ah well that’ll be that then [emoji85]

Glad I cleared it up for you [emoji6][emoji23]

villahibs
05-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Glad I cleared it up for you [emoji6][emoji23]

👍😂😂

BILLYHIBS
05-05-2019, 06:29 PM
In Bartley’s defence he is/was a lot better on the ball than a lot of people give him credit for especially in tight situations he also has the physicality for the Scottish game

Sadly I doubt he will be here next season

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 06:32 PM

Yes, miles better

BILLYHIBS
05-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Yes, miles better

4-2 versus Celtic at Darkheid Forrest skips past Milligan as though he wisnae there Bartley would have launched him into Row Z before he got his cross in :greengrin

familyman
05-05-2019, 06:54 PM
I was VERY disappointed in Heck's analysis after game.I thought Hibs were terrible, displaying no belief and a total lack of midfield YET AGAIN
It is obvious where we need to improve staffing ...apart from last 5 mins we were pants.
Defence did pretty well,Kamberi left field with a smile what does that say about him?
A shocker in my view and too many passengers and some have it seems thought the season was well over and NO thought to challenge for a European place...we got what we deserved and I am disgusted with the attitude today.
A HECK OF A LOT NEEDS DONE IN CLOSE SEASON
:flag:

The 90+2
05-05-2019, 07:24 PM
Yes, miles better

Proven and shown where? He’s like a rabbit in headlights whenever on the ball and others need to cover for him when he loses it because he’s not got the speed to win back possession.

we are hibs
05-05-2019, 07:28 PM
I really hope the rumours that we can cancel Milligan's deal after a year are true.

jeffers
05-05-2019, 07:34 PM
How much is it we are paying him?

More than we originally offered him, which he wasn't willing to sign for.