PDA

View Full Version : Women’s Football

sauzee6_2
04-05-2019, 10:43 PM
I’m on the 9am train to Ibrox tomorrow so may not be around for this discussion.....

However, what is stopping a female from breaking through to the men’s game??

Messi is the best player in the world, yet he’s 5ft 7 and 72kg.

Why can’t a female emerge with the same stats as messi and become a worldwide superstar???

Thoughts......

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 01:49 AM
Physically they cannot compete at all, 16 year old lads are bigger and stronger. Never gonna happen.

Liam6270
05-05-2019, 03:19 AM
Woman’s football is total tripe, that might stop someone breaking through

Jones28
05-05-2019, 06:27 AM
It's not a fair fight physically imo. I'd be suspended if there were female players that weigh a lot more than Messi and I'd imagine that a lot of them will weigh a fair bit less.

Imagine McGregor - who I'd imagine will weigh around the 90KG mark - versus a lightweight female striker?

I don't want to be too condescending and fall into the "women's football is pish" trap, but I do think the men's game is quicker and more physically demanding overall.

Bobby's Cinema
05-05-2019, 07:24 AM

Quite looking forward to supporting Scotland at a World Cup.
And won’t be worrying about the standard when doing so

JimBHibees
05-05-2019, 08:38 AM

Standard is good especially at top level style of football more technical and puts the way some of the men's spfl teams play to shame including our neighbours.

JimBHibees
05-05-2019, 08:40 AM
It's not a fair fight physically imo. I'd be suspended if there were female players that weigh a lot more than Messi and I'd imagine that a lot of them will weigh a fair bit less.

Imagine McGregor - who I'd imagine will weigh around the 90KG mark - versus a lightweight female striker?

I don't want to be too condescending and fall into the "women's football is pish" trap, but I do think the men's game is quicker and more physically demanding overall.

It's just different due to the physicality aspect some brilliant female players including players like Kim Little.

overdrive
05-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Standard is good especially at top level style of football more technical and puts the way some of the men's spfl teams play to shame including our neighbours.

The main thing that’ll stop a female player making it in the men’s game is actually speed, I think. It is one of the two things I notice straight away when watching a women’s game. It is like watching a game from the 60s/70s where it is noticeably slower than the modern men’s game.

The other thing I notice, but isn’t really relevant to this discussion (unless it is a goalkeeper breaking through), is the goalkeeping. A lot of people say it is poor. I’m not 100% sure it is poor (some of it is) but rather the relative size of the ‘keeper versus the size of the goals. I’m convinced this is why you get a lot of high scoring games in the women’s game.

The best player in my year at school was a girl. She could hold her own against the boys. Then again, nobody in my year made it professionally in the game (I don’t think) and she has played for Scotland and played abroad.

Green Reaper
05-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Mens game faster and more physical. Testosterone levels being a big factor, as has been seen in the news recently

malcolm
05-05-2019, 10:16 AM
The main thing that’ll stop a female player making it in the men’s game is actually speed, I think. It is one of the two things I notice straight away when watching a women’s game. It is like watching a game from the 60s/70s where it is noticeably slower than the modern men’s game.

The other thing I notice, but isn’t really relevant to this discussion (unless it is a goalkeeper breaking through), is the goalkeeping. A lot of people say it is poor. I’m not 100% sure it is poor (some of it is) but rather the relative size of the ‘keeper versus the size of the goals. I’m convinced this is why you get a lot of high scoring games in the women’s game.

The best player in my year at school was a girl. She could hold her own against the boys. Then again, nobody in my year made it professionally in the game (I don’t think) and she has played for Scotland and played abroad.

At what level :wink: you are not suggesting that I should find the Hibs ladies team of today to be in any way comparable with the Hibs team in the 70’s.. cos they are galactic light years away from one another.

Folk get too caught up in decrying standards.. woman’s football is not very good standard wise but like any competitive game it can be enjoyed in particular if you root for one side or another. Also now anyone can have an opinion despite not playing to any standard - for example the number of woman football experts appearing as pundits on TV does not relate to their having played at the standard being watched nor, in these days, being any kind of eye candy.

So in the interests of equality there may seem little reason why women should not eventually have the opportunity to play in what is now the men’s professional game if from a young age going forward there are no divides. Problem is you could not then justify excluding men from competing in any ‘female’ professional game. It is never going to happen - woman’s sport, where men have clear advantages, will be protected in the interests of women.

Keith_M
05-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Why do they have to compete in Men's Football at all?

Most sports are either Men or Women and it doesn't seem to bother anybody... well maybe with the rare exception of that Semenya person (is she officially female or Trans? I honestly don't know)

sauzee6_2
05-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Mens game faster and more physical. Testosterone levels being a big factor, as has been seen in the news recently

So could Casta Seminor compete?

sauzee6_2
05-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Messi didn’t do too badly against Liverpool’s 100kg defenders the other night

Green Reaper
05-05-2019, 10:32 AM
So could Casta Seminor compete?

Would she be allowed to?

HFC93
05-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Comparing male and female football players bodies is nonsensical. I've heard female players talk about this sensibly before, and they explain that they just can't compete once male players hit a certain age for obvious reasons.

Keith_M
05-05-2019, 10:39 AM
So could Casta Seminor(sp) compete?

From the recent official report from of the IAAF decision:

"The DSD covered by the Regulations are limited to athletes with “46 XY DSD” – i.e. conditions where the affected individual has XY chromosomes. Accordingly, individuals with XX chromosomes are not subject to any restrictions or eligibility conditions under the DSD Regulations."

Full Report available HERE
(https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Media_Release_Semenya_ASA_IAAF_decision.pdf)

In other words, if Semenya had XX Chromosomes (female), (s)he would not have had a case to answer. Despite how it's been reported in almost every newspaper, there is NO IAAF rule that applies only to the level of Testosterone.

Baader
05-05-2019, 10:51 AM

Spot on. This is an issue. Most female goalkeepers are under 6ft. Average height probably only about 5'7" or 5'8". Even jumping there are some who will barely be able to touch the crossbar. The goals should be proportionate for women's football. I think the crossbar should be lowered and the width reduced. Currently if a ball is struck into the top corner it's very rare to see a save.

I work on the women's game from time to time and had to edit the FA Cup final yesterday. There are some very good players and the standard is constantly improving. To dismiss women's football globally as 'total tripe' is incredibly ignorant. As a football fan I want to see as many people as possible play and enjoy the game we love.

Moulin Yarns
05-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Funnily enough this came up about formula1, why is there a separate womens motor race series

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/48134581

SonOfDavidFrancey
05-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Much as I love Hibs.net I’m not sure we are all with the programme as far as gender fluidity/ identification/ trans issues are concerned. I’d suggest that in the next twenty years we will see massive changes. It will start in schools where it will soon be impossible/ illegal to arrange sport on a ‘binary’ (ie 2 gender) basis. Elite sport will hang on to the two separate categories for a bit longer but as the Semenya case illustrates gender is not a simple matter and in our lifetimes I suspect all the definitions will change.

Aim Here
05-05-2019, 11:08 AM
As well as the physical issues, in Scotland, SFA rules do explicitly segregate matches by gender - it's not like some other sports where women can join the "men's" game if they're good enough, the rules currently forbid it.

Moulin Yarns
05-05-2019, 11:12 AM
As well as the physical issues, in Scotland, SFA rules do explicitly segregate matches by gender - it's not like some other sports where women can join the "men's" game if they're good enough, the rules currently forbid it.

So it's because they wear blazers, yet are big girls blouses

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 11:15 AM
I honestly just don't think women have the competitive drive that men do. Obviously some do but on average they don't. Think of things that don't require physical skill but are still competitive like chess or eSports. They are still absolutely dominated by male competition's.

Keith_M
05-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Much as I love Hibs.net I’m not sure we are all with the programme as far as gender fluidity/ identification/ trans issues are concerned. I’d suggest that in the next twenty years we will see massive changes. It will start in schools where it will soon be impossible/ illegal to arrange sport on a ‘binary’ (ie 2 gender) basis. Elite sport will hang on to the two separate categories for a bit longer but as the Semenya case illustrates gender is not a simple matter and in our lifetimes I suspect all the definitions will change.

I have to admit that I'm happy to be 'not with the programme'.

To change things for everyone based on the experiences of a minute part of the population is completely over the top.

Have you ever heard of the expression "throwing out the baby with the bathwater"?

Phil MaGlass
05-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Not a fan of womens football either, but, will support them for the WC, anything with a Scottish flag on it, that´s me.

calumhibee1
05-05-2019, 11:21 AM
I work on the women's game from time to time and had to edit the FA Cup final yesterday. There are some very good players and the standard is constantly improving. To dismiss women's football globally as 'total tripe' is incredibly ignorant. As a football fan I want to see as many people as possible play and enjoy the game we love.

There may be some good players in comparison to other women but people are comparing it to the other offering they have which is men’s football. Compared to men’s football it is utter tripe and it’s not ignorant to say so.

Would it be ignorant to describe Sunday amateur football as utter tripe? Because it is yet the vast majority of them would beat the pro women’s teams.

we are hibs
05-05-2019, 11:25 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwii-KnGo4TiAhXCyIUKHRsYCXwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffo otball%2Farticle-4389760%2FUSA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html&psig=AOvVaw1oAbQ8Sj8eGz_QtZv0t2Uz&ust=1557141846621861

SonOfDavidFrancey
05-05-2019, 11:50 AM
I have to admit that I'm happy to be 'not with the programme'.

To change things for everyone based on the experiences of a minute part of the population is completely over the top.

Have you ever heard of the expression "throwing out the baby with the bathwater"?

Wasn’t endorsing the changes, just saying what will inevitably happen.

superfurryhibby
05-05-2019, 11:55 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwii-KnGo4TiAhXCyIUKHRsYCXwQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffo otball%2Farticle-4389760%2FUSA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html&psig=AOvVaw1oAbQ8Sj8eGz_QtZv0t2Uz&ust=1557141846621861

Link not working but the headline is that the USA women’s team lost to a boys u15 side, 2:1.

I’m glad women enjoy the game and I’ll watch Scotland, if it’s on cooncil telly, at the World Cup.

As for binary gender fluidity ( or whatever), I’m fairly simplistic in my view that two bawz and a cock =man and two tits nd. Fanny = woman. For a tiny fraction of a percentage of people it may be more complex. However, if they want to play football then what matters is how good they are, they can have tits, cock and fanny for all I care.

Baader
05-05-2019, 11:57 AM
There may be some good players in comparison to other women but people are comparing it to the other offering they have which is men’s football. Compared to men’s football it is utter tripe and it’s not ignorant to say so.

Would it be ignorant to describe Sunday amateur football as utter tripe? Because it is yet the vast majority of them would beat the pro women’s teams.

Based on what? Have you ever watched women's football?To say amateur Sunday teams could beat the majority of professional women's teams is just blind faith. It's unfounded becuase it won't happen. Why does it need to be compared to the men's game? Compare our league to the Premier League and you'll have people saying we watch 'utter tripe.' There are some very good women's teams and players whether you compare them to the men's game or not.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Based on what? Have you ever watched women's football?To say amateur Sunday teams could beat the majority of professional women's teams is just blind faith. It's unfounded becuase it won't happen. Why does it need to be compared to the men's game? Compare our league to the Premier League and you'll have people saying we watch 'utter tripe.' There are some very good women's teams and players whether you compare them to the men's game or not.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html

Its not blind faith.

Baader
05-05-2019, 12:09 PM
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4389760/USA-women-s-team-suffer-5-2-loss-FC-Dallas-U-15-boys.html

Its not blind faith.

Your argument is based on one friendly which did not feature a Sunday league team???

Is Scottish football worse than football in Kazakhstan then because they beat us in a qualifier?!

HFC93
05-05-2019, 12:21 PM
If anyone genuinely thinks a female player could make the grade in men's professional football, then they need their head examined. No chance.

SquashedFrogg
05-05-2019, 12:28 PM
If anyone genuinely thinks a female player could make the grade in men's professional football, then they need their head examined. No chance.

Not entirely sure about your statement. Slightly ignorant IMO. I've seen some extremely talented woman footballers and some **** male footballers. The gap in some cases isn't as big as you'd suggest.

Think it will happen in some shape or form at some level.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Not entirely sure about your statement. Slightly ignorant IMO. I've seen some extremely talented woman footballers and some **** male footballers. The gap in some cases isn't as big as you'd suggest.

Why not just let men play in women's teams and let's see what happens.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Your argument is based on one friendly which did not feature a Sunday league team???

Is Scottish football worse than football in Kazakhstan then because they beat us in a qualifier?!

Thats not my argument. Its just not based on nothing. Those lads are 14 and smashed the best womans international team in the world. Its pointless to compare because its not a level playing field. Guys are much stronger and faster. A women will never compete in the mens game.

HFC93
05-05-2019, 12:36 PM

I'm not questioning females footballers technique, skill or the quality of the game. Simply biology. A team would sign a female player as a publicity stunt but that's it. Has a woman every consistently successfully competed with male counterparts in any professional contact sport?

05-05-2019, 12:37 PM
This thread is pretty depressing.

Baader
05-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Thats not my argument. Its just not based on nothing. Those lads are 14 and smashed the best womans international team in the world. Its pointless to compare because its not a level playing field. Guys are much stronger and faster. A women will never compete in the mens game.

One friendly doesn't dismiss the entire women's game though. To call all of it 'utter tripe' is ignorant in my opinion. And to suggest the best female player in the world wouldn't be good enough for the likes of Falkirk, I beg to differ. And there are women out there who are faster than some men!!

For what it's worth I would keep football as it is without mixing male and female players. Just don't buy the argument that no woman on the planet is good enough to make the grade anywhere in men's professional football.

Dr What If?
05-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Another good wee nugget to throw in is 'should we'? Look across all the male professional players in Scotland at the moment and ask the question 'is there a female footballer playing in the UK today that is better than any of these guys, even if it is just one'? No expert but I would say probably a few....even if she was sitting on the bench for Queen of the South. No, there will be girls out there good enough even if it is just a minority.
Back to the 'should we' though. Women's football is a sport in itself, it has its stars and it has its own competitions. With each year more of these games are getting TV coverage, newspaper inches and more fans are going along to watch...no bad thing. It's getting to a level now where questions like this are being asked but what happens if we effectively merge the sports and have women playing for male side? Does this not diminish what is a sport growing in its own right? Taking the cream out will hurt the development of the womens game and will create a view that those still playing for ladies clubs just cant make the break into 'real' football.
For the sake of the women's game I hope we don't see that one brilliant female star cross the line. If it continues to grow as it has been then the mens game will need to react to keep its own share of support but that is a challenge for the men. The challenge for the women is to be secure enough in their sport to say it is every bit as good and we don't need to compete in your teams just to prove a point.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 01:01 PM
One friendly doesn't dismiss the entire women's game though. To call all of it 'utter tripe' is ignorant in my opinion. And to suggest the best female player in the wouldn't be good enough for the likes of Falkirk, I beg to differ.

Its not about being good enough, they physically cannot compete, there is no doubt about that. Serena Williams lost to a male ranked like 200. The slowest man in the 100 meters finals was quicker than the fastest woman in 2016.

I personally think womans football is pretty awful to watch because its so slow and clunky. Others enjoy it. Thats great. Waste of time comparing.

calumhibee1
05-05-2019, 01:12 PM

There’s other examples of this happening. And the example is of one of the best women’s teams getting beat by a male kids team. It’s not that much of a stretch to suggest that fully grown adult males would do the same as the kids done.

There will never be a female professional in the men’s game. There will never even be a female playing semi pro in the men’s game imo. Or at least not because their ability is of the level required to play it, maybe as a publicity stunt it might happen.

NAE NOOKIE
05-05-2019, 01:24 PM

Last year that total tripe provided me with one of my best football days of the year as Scotland's women's team came back from 2 - 0 down away to an over physical Poland team, winning 2 - 3 with 3 goals in the last 20 minutes. I literally jumped around my living room when the 3rd went in. You don't have to be Messie or built like Darren McGregor to have guts and determination, or to be entertaining.

If I won the lottery tomorrow the first thing I would be thinking of is following our lassies in France this summer :aok:

sambajustice
05-05-2019, 01:55 PM
I used to think it was "utter tripe" as well a few years ago, there was something about it that just didn't seem right. The words others have used on here "slow", "clunky" probably describe it best. However, more recently i've watched a few games and made a point of watching some international games and enjoyed them for what they are.

Physically, there's no chance female players could compete against males, genetics, biology, nature, whatever you want to call it.

Are you likely to see a female player playing international test rugby for the mens team any time soon???

Interestingly, couple of folk have mentioned about the goalkeepers. Goalkeeper is probably about the only position in the mens game that a female player could get into. The amount of sprints, challenges, strength required is a lot less for that position than any other. Plus the almost non contact nature of keeping these days would help as well.

at last 61
05-05-2019, 02:09 PM

We used to go to a few Hibs games and always thought Kim little would be the one to break through to the men's game I reckon it will happen with someone in the next few years

Malthibby
05-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Last year that total tripe provided me with one of my best football days of the year as Scotland's women's team came back from 2 - 0 down away to an over physical Poland team, winning 2 - 3 with 3 goals in the last 20 minutes. I literally jumped around my living room when the 3rd went in. You don't have to be Messie or built like Darren McGregor to have guts and determination, or to be entertaining.

If I won the lottery tomorrow the first thing I would be thinking of is following our lassies in France this summer :aok:

Indeed. Women's footie is good and getting better, it's worth watching and investing in & I despair reading the posts making sneering comparisons with the guys' version.
Already been pointed out that tennis, rugby, athletics etc etc have their own separate competitions and that works & so does football.
Anyone here watch Laura Muir rip up the running track this year & think 'Ah but if guys were running she'd be last?' Of course not, apart from a wee
minority of erses of course.
I have loved watching a Hibs team sticking 8 and 9 goals past Celtic & Rangers teams, watching a Hibs team winning 6 cups on the trot. They deserve our support
and I do think that includes financial support. The Women's team is part of the Hibs family and we are much better for it.
GG

overdrive
05-05-2019, 03:20 PM
At what level :wink: you are not suggesting that I should find the Hibs ladies team of today to be in any way comparable with the Hibs team in the 70’s.. cos they are galactic light years away from one another.

Folk get too caught up in decrying standards.. woman’s football is not very good standard wise but like any competitive game it can be enjoyed in particular if you root for one side or another. Also now anyone can have an opinion despite not playing to any standard - for example the number of woman football experts appearing as pundits on TV does not relate to their having played at the standard being watched nor, in these days, being any kind of eye candy.

So in the interests of equality there may seem little reason why women should not eventually have the opportunity to play in what is now the men’s professional game if from a young age going forward there are no divides. Problem is you could not then justify excluding men from competing in any ‘female’ professional game. It is never going to happen - woman’s sport, where men have clear advantages, will be protected in the interests of women.

No way - it is the speed that is the same. The technical ability of the men’s teams from the 60s/70s would be way too much for current ladies’ teams.

I’m too young to have seen the good Hibs teams of that era but I reckon they’d struggle against the current Hibs team. The current players would be too fast and physical for them.

Coco Bryce
05-05-2019, 03:22 PM

This. Great of them to play the game but it's dreadful to watch.

Liam6270
05-05-2019, 03:39 PM
No female player would even make the bench for Berwick Rangers, I watched the highlights from the woman’s FA cup final yesterday and it was like watching comedy football.

Liam6270
05-05-2019, 04:25 PM
No female player would even make the bench for Berwick Rangers, I watched the highlights from the woman’s FA cup final yesterday and it was like watching comedy football.

calumhibee1
05-05-2019, 05:01 PM
No way - it is the speed that is the same. The technical ability of the men’s teams from the 60s/70s would be way too much for current ladies’ teams.

I’m too young to have seen the good Hibs teams of that era but I reckon they’d struggle against the current Hibs team. The current players would be too fast and physical for them.

They would. Teams now would be way fitter, faster and stronger.

malcolm
05-05-2019, 06:10 PM
They would. Teams now would be way fitter, faster and stronger.

But not necessarily better - level the playing field (give Turnbull’s team the benefit of modern training and preparation) and I don’t think either team today at ibrox would win.

BSEJVT
05-05-2019, 06:19 PM

Absolutely correct

These guys would be in their 70's now and some can hardly run at all :-)

Seriously though its a pointless comparison.

When Bannister broke the 4 minute mile it was earth shattering and folk didn't believe it could ever be done.

The world has changed and what was important then isn't as important now.

You could argue that one of the reasons for Scotland's failure to qualify for anything is that tackling as it once was is no longer allowed and / or that being really skilful without being really athletic as well wouldn't get you a game these days.

When I first started watching Hibs when someone was beat they were beat, they weren't fit or athletic enough to get back and tackle you or if they were they were at the very cream of the crop.

I would contend though that just about without exception they were more skilful / talented.

Football nowadays is more like an athletics competition than anything else.

hibsbollah
05-05-2019, 06:22 PM
I honestly just don't think women have the competitive drive that men do.

:faf: Honestly, this is your best yet. What total nonsense.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 06:33 PM
:faf: Honestly, this is your best yet. What total nonsense.

Just the usual personal guff from you

BSEJVT
05-05-2019, 07:01 PM

To be honest he is correct

It is caveman stuff and not remotely borne out by the facts

Given that many women defer having their families until the end of their sporting careers, if at all, you could argue that their commitment is greater.

The simple truth of the matter is that many women are not in the slightest interested in anything like sports or competition as for that matter are some men not interested, but I would say it is far more prevalent amongst women who rightfully have many other interests in topics which men don't.

You are either a complete caveman or :

a) know nothing about women in general

or

b) no nothing about women seriously into their sport at whatever level they compete

sauzee6_2
05-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Well I don’t know you (meaning is can’t be personal) but I completely agree, your previous post was incredibly patronising and quite frankly....pish!

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2019, 08:10 PM
You've got to love these threads. Comedy gold.

500miles
05-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Women's football is it's own thing, don't think comparison with the mens game does it any favours.

MWHIBBIES
05-05-2019, 10:48 PM
To be honest he is correct

It is caveman stuff and not remotely borne out by the facts

Given that many women defer having their families until the end of their sporting careers, if at all, you could argue that their commitment is greater.

The simple truth of the matter is that many women are not in the slightest interested in anything like sports or competition as for that matter are some men not interested, but I would say it is far more prevalent amongst women who rightfully have many other interests in topics which men don't.

You are either a complete caveman or :

a) know nothing about women in general

or

b) no nothing about women seriously into their sport at whatever level they competeI don't think it's completely caveman to suggest men are more competitive that women. I didn't say anything about commitment. Take chess as an example. Men complete directly against women. There are over 1500 male chess grandmasters. There are 37 women. I think men are more ruthless and competitive that women. I'm not a caveman, I don't think men are better. Women are better at things, men are better at things. There is a much greater participation by men in pretty much all sports as well? Why is that? Obviously interests vary but I personally think men, on average, get a much greater satisfaction from competition and compete more because of it.

Well I don’t know you (meaning is can’t be personal) but I completely agree, your previous post was incredibly patronising and quite frankly....pish!

basehibby
06-05-2019, 12:09 AM

I don't think things will change as much as you think. Reason being that in sport, fairness will be held - legally I mean - to trump political correctness. This will mean I believe that women who have been born as and grown up as men will not be permitted to compete as women - simply because they will have an unfair competitive advantage over biological women. I know there is a trans woman in the states currently competing (and winning) in cycling - but I can't see it being long before this is challenged successfully in court - if I was a female cyclist I would be mad as hell about it certainly and would be making plenty noise to get it changed.

basehibby
06-05-2019, 12:15 AM

I don't think it would be impossible but she would have to be an exceptional physical specimen as well as a bloody good player.

Liam6270
06-05-2019, 12:20 AM
I don't think it would be impossible but she would have to be an exceptional physical specimen as well as a bloody good player.

It won’t be long before the PC police demand that a woman be allowed to play in men’s football anyway, it’ll probably take something like that to prove they’ll never be good enough

Smartie
06-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Mrs Smartie's brother plays "soccer" in Houston and it is a mixed male/ female league there.

You need to have enough females (and males) in a team in order to be allowed to take part.

I've quizzed him on the weirdness of it and he says it isn't weird at all. He really enjoys it.

Quite a stretch from the Fife leagues he grew up playing in.

Brightside
06-05-2019, 07:20 AM
I’m on the 9am train to Ibrox tomorrow so may not be around for this discussion.....

However, what is stopping a female from breaking through to the men’s game??

Messi is the best player in the world, yet he’s 5ft 7 and 72kg.

Why can’t a female emerge with the same stats as messi and become a worldwide superstar???

Thoughts......
Impossible.

Brightside
06-05-2019, 07:25 AM
I honestly just don't think women have the competitive drive that men do. Obviously some do but on average they don't. Think of things that don't require physical skill but are still competitive like chess or eSports. They are still absolutely dominated by male competition's.
That’s the silliest thing I’ve read on this thread. I’ve coached boys and girls football. The only thing that holds back girls in sport is poor financial backing and parents that worry about their little princesses. A girl is born with the exact same fire in her belly as any boy. Just has to be nurtured.

calumhibee1
06-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Women's football is it's own thing, don't think comparison with the mens game does it any favours.

Comparing it with the men’s game doesn’t do it any favours because the standard is a lot worse than the men’s game at any level. But dressing it up as being a very good standard at times and declaring that it can’t be compared to the men’s game so that you can say that just smacks of a desperation to pretend it’s something it’s not.

Nobody would turn round and say Sunday amateur is a very good standard, oh and btw you can’t compare it against other leagues because that wouldn’t end favourably for Sunday amateur. I’m not quite sure what the point of doing it for the women’s game is. They play the exact same game and to a standard that people would claim was awful if they were males.

LancashireHibby
06-05-2019, 07:41 AM
That’s the silliest thing I’ve read on this thread. I’ve coached boys and girls football. The only thing that holds back girls in sport is poor financial backing and parents that worry about their little princesses. A girl is born with the exact same fire in her belly as any boy. Just has to be nurtured.
I expect that in a lot of cases the girls probably have more fight in them as for whatever reason they always seem to have prove themselves that bit more, especially those who progress to a high level. Was an interesting feature to that degree on A View from the Terrace on Friday with Lana Clelland who plays for Fiorentina Women (apologies if this has already been mentioned, not read the whole thread).

MWHIBBIES
06-05-2019, 07:52 AM

People keep saying this but it's really just a blanket statement. It's not just physical competition, there are very few competitions, even ones that are purely mental, that aren't dominated by men at the top level.

It's not me being a caveman, those are just facts. There must be a reason for it and as I've said I think it is because men prefer competing to women.

Jones28
06-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Messi didn’t do too badly against Liverpool’s 100kg defenders the other night

Messi is the best player we've ever seen so perhaps using him was a bad example.

I just don't think they will ever mix due to physical attributes and the "it's ay been" attitude of the dinosaurs at the top of the men's game.

Brightside
06-05-2019, 08:46 AM
People keep saying this but it's really just a blanket statement. It's not just physical competition, there are very few competitions, even ones that are purely mental, that aren't dominated by men at the top level.

It's not me being a caveman, those are just facts. There must be a reason for it and as I've said I think it is because men prefer competing to women.

no its because young girls arent pushed to compete like boys are. Generation after generation telling them they dont have to do sport. Exactly the same thing happened in business until very recently, and even that hasn't levelled out yet. You nurture competitiveness you arent born with it. Male or Female makes no difference. Thinking otherwise is simply wrong.

MWHIBBIES
06-05-2019, 09:00 AM
no its because young girls arent pushed to compete like boys are. Generation after generation telling them they dont have to do sport. Exactly the same thing happened in business until very recently, and even that hasn't levelled out yet. You nurture competitiveness you arent born with it. Male or Female makes no difference. Thinking otherwise is simply wrong.

This is true, it definitely makes am impact but I'm not simply talking about sports. I'm also using competitive board games and video games as example, something also dominated by men. Things like professional poker are also male heavy.

I'm not saying men are better competitors but I think it's quite obvious, on average, men like competition more than women.

Brightside
06-05-2019, 09:12 AM
This is true, it definitely makes am impact but I'm not simply talking about sports. I'm also using competitive board games and video games as example, something also dominated by men. Things like professional poker are also male heavy.

I'm not saying men are better competitors but I think it's quite obvious, on average, men like competition more than women.

Again you are missing the point. Its a learned attitude. The only reason that more men compete at anything in life is due to them being pushed to be competitive as boys. As a society we still do not push girls the same way. Mainly due to people thinking its not the right thing for girls. Which is 100% wrong.

SonOfDavidFrancey
06-05-2019, 10:15 AM
I don't think things will change as much as you think. Reason being that in sport, fairness will be held - legally I mean - to trump political correctness. This will mean I believe that women who have been born as and grown up as men will not be permitted to compete as women - simply because they will have an unfair competitive advantage over biological women. I know there is a trans woman in the states currently competing (and winning) in cycling - but I can't see it being long before this is challenged successfully in court - if I was a female cyclist I would be mad as hell about it certainly and would be making plenty noise to get it changed.

The issue is that the legal challenges can go both ways. If you exclude a trans athlete who has actually transitioned, legally, to the other gender then that will be subject to a legal challenge. What’s going to change is the social and legal definition of gender, so in 100 years folk will be looking back on ‘men’s’ and ‘women’s’ sport as a historical thing. Again don’t shoot the messenger.