PDA

View Full Version : Tom English.

Alex Trager
03-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Ewan Cameron has pulled him up for being negative and someone who drain the entertainment and enthusiasm out of the Scottish game.

I normally don’t agree with EC and don’t mind Tom English but then it got me thinking, maybe he is right.

It was in the context of Tom English calling Gary Linekar and Rio Ferdinand unprofessional for celebrating Messi’s freekick on Wednesday.

So do you think it is unprofessional and they shouldn’t have celebrated it, quite passionately, or do you think that Tom English typifies the difference in the way BBC Scotland, and the scottish media in general, talk about scottish football compared to those down south and the way they talk about their game?

One focuses on the negatives as opposed to presenting an entertaining show.

03-05-2019, 10:58 PM
They were unprofessional. Presenters/commentators on a British show shouldn't be blatantly wanting the British team to lose. Liverpool fans are right to be fuming about it. Imagine if we'd had Levein or Skacel commentating on our 3-0 defeat by Molde and celebrating like that.

TelaStella
03-05-2019, 11:07 PM
They were unprofessional. Presenters/commentators on a British show shouldn't be blatantly wanting the British team to lose. Liverpool fans are right to be fuming about it. Imagine if we'd had Levein or Skacel commentating on our 3-0 defeat by Molde and celebrating like that.

Think it really just came down to the excitement of that goal, it was ridiculous. A career milestone of 600 and pretty much sealed the fate of what’s already been a really intriguing tie. Personally I was shouting for Liverpool but like many were amazed by the winner, if it were the other way around and say Sallah had just done that to make it 3-0 I think it would be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marvellous
03-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Tom English is one of the few people writing about Scottish football who I would even call a journalist.

O'Rourke3
03-05-2019, 11:11 PM
https://youtu.be/lpA8Og-MsPE

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
03-05-2019, 11:45 PM
They weren't unprofessional, they weren't presenting at that point. They weren't commentating, they were off air, it was just caught by the cameras.

Wembley67
03-05-2019, 11:54 PM
Haud the baw. So an ex Barca and Toffee player celebrates a fantastic goal against Liverpool? And it's an issue?

Weird view.

Mibbes Aye
04-05-2019, 12:03 AM
They weren't unprofessional, they weren't presenting at that point. They weren't commentating, they were off air, it was just caught by the cameras.

Didn't see the game and haven't seen any off-air footage. If they were celebrating the goal then I don't blame them, it was sublime, especially when you see it from the various angles BT had.

As for Tom English, I think he is actually pretty weak as a football reporter or pundit. He stands out because he is amidst a sea of awfulness, so he can get away with being mediocre or average because, let's face it, there isn't anyone else getting media time who is better.

The paucity of decent commentary and reporting in the Scottish game is shameful, given we are meant to be one of the best-attending nations in Europe.

I think there are two options - one where we just settle for punchy highlights, which is the norm in some European countries, or one where we spend money on getting airtime from people who can talk about football articulately. I'm thinking of the way that Sky Sports used to do it in the early nineties when they first got the EPL contract, with Van Gullit and the whiteboard, or the way TalkSport did it with Marcotti, Honigstein and Balague.

JohnM1875
04-05-2019, 01:41 AM

Exactly this. My god, they celebrated an outstanding free kick. So what? I celebrated it and I love Ronnie and wanted Liverpool to win.

People need to seriously chill out.

Kojock
04-05-2019, 04:16 AM
That’s the same Tom English who told us Virgil van Dijk was vastly overrated and is easily found out by decent strikers. Wonder what he has to say now about the EPL player of the year contender.

Liam6270
04-05-2019, 05:10 AM
I thought it was brilliant seeing Lineker and Ferdinand cheer like that, I was doing the same haha! Jurgen Flop strikes again

Hibernian Verse
04-05-2019, 05:30 AM
That’s the same Tom English who told us Virgil van Dijk was vastly overrated and is easily found out by decent strikers. Wonder what he has to say now about the EPL player of the year contender.He got player of the year mate. Hope you're well, might see you again in Europe! (Formerly Milkinho)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kojock
04-05-2019, 06:27 AM
He got player of the year mate. Hope you're well, might see you again in Europe! (Formerly Milkinho)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, just back from hols so missed the announcement. Think Europe is beyond us for this season. Always next season GGTTH

hibbydog
04-05-2019, 06:43 AM
I like Tom English. He bases his views on facts and always has examples and stats to back up his points. His articles are normally a good read.

Compare him with someone like Keith Jackson....

we are hibs
04-05-2019, 06:51 AM
Linekar and Ferdinand knew the cameras were on them as it wasn't the first time they've filmed their "reaction" to a goal. All a big act. Doesn't bother me but let's not pretend they were doing it because they "love football" and all that pish

Since452
04-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Linekar is ex Barcelona and Ferdinand is ex Man United. They'd just watched a trully legendary player score a wonder goal to make it 600 career goals. Sorry, they're only human.

PatHead
04-05-2019, 08:25 AM
I like Tom English. He bases his views on facts and always has examples and stats to back up his points. His articles are normally a good read.

Used to like Tom English when he first appeared. He had no old firm agenda and wasn't one of the boys. Now he's part of the BBC establishment and can't really be bothered with his views. Full of his own importance and trys to come over as an authority rather than a commentator, whether it football, rugby or any sport.

To be fair he was replacing the likes of Jim Traynor so anyone would be an improvement.

I think Michael Stewart is the best by a mile. Criticism when it is due but talks up the game as well. Listen to how he talked up Turnbull of Motherwell.

Alex Trager
04-05-2019, 08:32 AM
https://twitter.com/tenglishsport/status/1123793122734034951?s=21

Sioux
04-05-2019, 08:40 AM
If that had been a jambo and a hun reacting to a goal against Hibs, the reaction on here would be totally different. No matter how good a goal it might have been.

Winston Ingram
04-05-2019, 08:42 AM

I’d agree with this if they knowingly did it live on air, but they didn’t. They had no idea BT were going to share that.

Of course Lineker & Ferdinand want Barca to win.

Compare that to what Carragher did at Liverpool’s winner v Spurs this season, grabbing the mike and shouting ‘you beauty!’. Now that’s unprofessional

BoomtownHibees
04-05-2019, 08:45 AM
If that had been a jambo and a hun reacting to a goal against Hibs, the reaction on here would be totally different. No matter how good a goal it might have been.

Of course it would and I actually think Tom English makes a good point. He’s taking a lot of stick about it from fans of all clubs but can you imagine the seethe if that was 2 Scottish presenters reacting like that to a goal against the Rangers or Celtc in Europe?? There would be calls for them to be sacked, there would be death threats the lot.

Even thinking about how you would feel if it was a goal against Hibs in the Europa League being celebrated like that by Sportscene presenters

Pretty Boy
04-05-2019, 08:57 AM
It's quite amusing that the match thread regarding the game in question on here descended into an argument about how English commentators and pundits were unbearable because of their bias towards English teams.

We've now gone full circle and they are unprofessional for celebrating a goal against an English team.

SChibs
04-05-2019, 09:35 AM
If Alan Stubbs was in the studio in a Hibs game vs Rangers do people not think he'd celebrate the goal? Likewise if Everton were to play Rangers in Europe?

Everyone has the right to support a football team and whilst the pundits are watching the game they should be entitled to celebrate the goals they want to. As long as their punditry is unbiased and fair I don't see an issue with it.

bigwheel
04-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Cheering goals is a magic reflection of the passion of football...since when do we have to care about teams from our own country ...Rivalry is a great pet of football too ..

Smartie
04-05-2019, 09:45 AM

I agree.

Without doubt he's one of our better ones.

I happen to disagree with him on this subject though.

Football presenters are welcome to celebrate any goal they like, especially if it is a cracker, a goal of significance, a goal scored by someone's former club or against the rivals of a club the presenter is closely linked with - in this case all of the above.

Would anyone expect Levein not to celebrate a goal against Hibs? If he wants to celebrate, he's perfectly entitled to. I don't mind commentators freely admitting they have teams they prefer.

bigwheel
04-05-2019, 09:46 AM

I’d agree with this - but he gets some calls wrong - and think this is one of them ....

ScottB
04-05-2019, 09:47 AM
What are they supposed to do, sit in awed silence?

Some folk are far too sensitive. They cheered a cracking goal from one of the best players to ever play the game, nothing wrong with that!

Just Jimmy
04-05-2019, 09:47 AM
That'll be the same Liverpool fans who were praising Carrigher the other week for his "genuine passion" when Liverpool got a late winner.

Can't have it both ways.

Sky is dripping in pro Liverpool people and never has a bad word to say about them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

matty_f
04-05-2019, 10:00 AM
I've got a lot of time for Tom English, I don't always agree with him and there are times when I've thought he's completely missed the point of a situation, but the majority of the time I think he gives good insight.

Spike Mandela
04-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Guys like Tom English do suck the fun out of football but he has some way to go until he reaches the towering negativity of Davie Provan, imo, who anytime I have the misfortune to listen to or read seems to absolutely detest the sport which gives him a living, especially when discussing Scottish football.

Tom English grates on me with his sneering, arrogant, pseudo intellectual ramblings. It’s clear his first love is rugby, well he is a Hearts supporter I suppose��, and rarely has an insight that takes the conversation to a higher level despite how grandiose he is trying to sound.

By the way , the idea that Scottish pundits off camera aren’t cheering goals for their team or against their biggest rivals is ludicrous. Do you think McCoist off air isn’t cheering a Rangers goal or a goal against Celtic, Preston doesn’t celebrate a goal for Hearts or misfortune for Hibs? The unprofessional part is the tv company broadcasting the tweet.

Too often we have the charade of impartiality on tv when we all know it’s fake.

ancient hibee
04-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Pundits/presenters can be entertaining or infuriating but in the great scheme of things they are of zero importance.

patlowe
04-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Tom English speaks with authority but he really takes no interest in detail beyond the Old Firm. That won't stop him spouting assertions when he fancies a debate on the radio though.

In terms of comparison, Michael Stewart, for all you may dislike his style, immerses himself in our game and speaks from a position of knowledge and respect for the league as a whole. A far better pundit than English and the many pundits who pay lip service to the league but only really want to discuss the Glasgow teams IMO.

FilipinoHibs
04-05-2019, 10:33 AM
Tom English speaks with authority but he really takes no interest in detail beyond the Old Firm. That won't stop him spouting assertions when he fancies a debate on the radio though.

In terms of comparison, Michael Stewart, for all you may dislike his style, immerses himself in our game and speaks from a position of knowledge and respect for the league as a whole. A far better pundit than English and the many pundits who pay lip service to the league but only really want to discuss the Glasgow teams IMO.

Agree mate.

bigwheel
04-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Of course it would and I actually think Tom English makes a good point. He’s taking a lot of stick about it from fans of all clubs but can you imagine the seethe if that was 2 Scottish presenters reacting like that to a goal against the Rangers or Celtc in Europe?? There would be calls for them to be sacked, there would be death threats the lot.

Even thinking about how you would feel if it was a goal against Hibs in the Europa League being celebrated like that by Sportscene presenters

Really ?? If (say) Larsson was celebrating a goal for Barca against Rangers. Or Pat Nevin celebrating a Chelsea goal v Hearts ....I don’t think anyone would blink ... other than the fans of the team getting scored against

Steve20
04-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Tom English is an awful pundit.

Here he’s just being unhappy because he likes Liverpool. Would anyone on here really be upset if someone cheered a goal against Hibs? Do folk really feel the need for pundits to like us? I couldn’t care less. English is just another that prefers Hearts to us on that station anyway.

HFCdeb
04-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Find him to be a bit of a hand wringer. He's good in relation to facts and research but he has been a bit OTT re: minor incidents like the Linekar and Ferdinand reactions to the Messi goal this season.

JimBHibees
04-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Guys like Tom English do suck the fun out of football but he has some way to go until he reaches the towering negativity of Davie Provan, imo, who anytime I have the misfortune to listen to or read seems to absolutely detest the sport which gives him a living, especially when discussing Scottish football.

Tom English grates on me with his sneering, arrogant, pseudo intellectual ramblings. It’s clear his first love is rugby, well he is a Hearts supporter I suppose��, and rarely has an insight that takes the conversation to a higher level despite how grandiose he is trying to sound.

By the way , the idea that Scottish pundits off camera aren’t cheering goals for their team or against their biggest rivals is ludicrous. Do you think McCoist off air isn’t cheering a Rangers goal or a goal against Celtic, Preston doesn’t celebrate a goal for Hearts or misfortune for Hibs? The unprofessional part is the tv company broadcasting the tweet.

Too often we have the charade of impartiality on tv when we all know it’s fake.

He is awful typical Sky ex Celtic clique with Nicholas, McInally, Walker. Very negative about the Scottish game yet like the rest over effusive about EPL while not willing to explain the context Scottish football is in or ever highlight the positives such as per head of population who attend games. Provan's analysis of games is bang average also.

FRes Hibbie
04-05-2019, 11:24 AM

Agreed. I used to quite like him as a print journalist but since his move to BBC and on-air stuff I can't really be bothered with him anymore. The standard of print journalism in Scottish football really is awful, which is probably how he was able to appear half-decent. Fortunately it's not difficult to avoid radio Scotland at weekends and there's much better out there for audio comment.

BoomtownHibees
04-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Really ?? If (say) Larsson was celebrating a goal for Barca against Rangers. Or Pat Nevin celebrating a Chelsea goal v Hearts ....I don’t think anyone would blink ... other than the fans of the team getting scored against

Or say an ex-Jambo, Scottish pundit celebrating a European goal against us. The reaction on here would be massively different

bigwheel
04-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Or say an ex-Jambo, Scottish pundit celebrating a European goal against us. The reaction on here would be massively different

Yeah. A few would be moaning. But that’s just a bit of “whataboutery”. Would be nothing wrong with it

PatHead
04-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Lineker is an ex Barca player so understand him supporting them.

Stevie Reid
04-05-2019, 12:11 PM
I thought Tom English’s match report on the BBC after our win at Tynie a few weeks ago was quite bizarre, and extremely negative.

Not a fan of his, and really like the passion that Linekar, Ferdinand etc have for the game.

Carheenlea
04-05-2019, 12:21 PM
Tom English is like many of his fellow countrymen, a Liverpool fan. Can understand why Lineker’s celebrations would irk him, but again, it’s perfectly understandable why Lineker enjoyed the goal like he did.
I like Tom English, and while rugby would be the sport he has greater expertise in, he has more interesting takes on football than Ewan Cameron who’s expertise seems to be based around being a bit of a clown.

bigwheel
04-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Tom English is like many of his fellow countrymen, a Liverpool fan. Can understand why Lineker’s celebrations would irk him, but again, it’s perfectly understandable why Lineker enjoyed the goal like he did.
I like Tom English, and while rugby would be the sport he has greater expertise in, he has more interesting takes on football than Ewan Cameron who’s expertise seems to be based around being a bit of a clown.

For some reason I had him Logged as a Sunderland fan. Can’t recall why ....

MyJo
04-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Never liked Tom English from the get-go. Miserable git who seems to thoroughly enjoy being negative and putting the boot in to various elements of Scottish football whenever the opportunity arises.

As for Lineker and Ferdinand, the people moaning about their reaction to Messi's goal is probably limited to p***ed of Liverpool fans and people who buy half and half scarves and think Scottish fans should support England at the world cup. It's nonsense.

Lineker is a former Barca player and Ferdinand spent most of his career at one of Liverpool's biggest rivals, if they want to celebrate an epic goal and/or Liverpool getting humped then so be it. Doesn't stop them from doing the job they are being paid to do in providing coverage and analysis of the game.

sambajustice
04-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Hes a dick.

I can't be bothered writing more than that

Brightside
04-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Ewan Cameron has pulled him up for being negative and someone who drain the entertainment and enthusiasm out of the Scottish game.

I normally don’t agree with EC and don’t mind Tom English but then it got me thinking, maybe he is right.

It was in the context of Tom English calling Gary Linekar and Rio Ferdinand unprofessional for celebrating Messi’s freekick on Wednesday.

So do you think it is unprofessional and they shouldn’t have celebrated it, quite passionately, or do you think that Tom English typifies the difference in the way BBC Scotland, and the scottish media in general, talk about scottish football compared to those down south and the way they talk about their game?

One focuses on the negatives as opposed to presenting an entertaining show.

Ewan Cameron is a fanny.

Kato
04-05-2019, 03:42 PM
English always over eggs whichever editorial line he's pushing, Sky, BBC, print.

Greenbeard
04-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Hes a dick.

I can't be bothered writing more than that
Was pondering what to write about English and his superior negativity, but can't put it any more eloquently than the above.

Fife-Hibee
04-05-2019, 05:05 PM
English was fine until he shifted to the BBC. Naturally, his narrative has shifted to all things Scottish being negative in some way.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Who comprises the editorial team ? And what is theirs stance ?

ancient hibee
04-05-2019, 05:49 PM
English was fine until he shifted to the BBC. Naturally, his narrative has shifted to all things Scottish being negative in some way.
What a load of tosh.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Tom English is ok, but we are hardly getting the best of the best in journalism are we. I mean when we talk abut him being better than davie proven to make a point you know we are in amongst the drivel.

green day
04-05-2019, 10:54 PM
Tom English is a prick.

After the cup final he said that none of the violence would have happened if it wasn't for Hibs fans.

Even said we goaded the Huns which is why they came on the pitch.

He then went on to say that multiple Rangers players were attacked (when we know that isn't in fact true).

He's a liar and a prick far too fond of his own voice.