PDA

View Full Version : East Mains

Since452
03-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Leeann mentioned in the past, i think it was on our return to the Premiership, that the club was looking at building a full sized indoor pitch in the future. The outdoor pitches at East Mains are widely regarded as excellent but in Scotland's averse weather conditions a full sized indoor pitch would be an incredible tool and huge attraction to potential signings I'd have thought. Was wondering if anyone had heard any more on this?

Itsnoteasy
03-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Leeann mentioned in the past, i think it was on our return to the Premiership, that the club was looking at building a full sized indoor pitch in the future. The outdoor pitches at East Mains are widely regarded as excellent but in Scotland's averse weather conditions a full sized indoor pitch would be an incredible tool and huge attraction to potential signings I'd have thought. Was wondering if anyone had heard any more on this?

Yes it would be good to have. But I don't think a possible new signing would say wow you've got an indoor field I'll sign on Monday.
Training on public parks didn't stop us from signing Archie goal or the Goalie.

Greenbeard
03-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Yes it would be good to have. But I don't think a possible new signing would say wow you've got an indoor field I'll sign on Monday.
Training on public parks didn't stop us from signing Archie goal or the Goalie.
That's as may be, but the game has moved on and there is no doubt such a facility could make a difference and put us on par or above our competitors in the signing market. It all comes down to prioritising investment. How much and where does this sit on the priority list. Possibly knocked back a bit 'cos of having to spend on things like new CCTV, sniffer dugs, increased stewarding 'cos of recent numpty behaviour.
Whilst a full size indoor pitch would be braw I'd still favour the occasional Colditz style camp and public park session to make the pampered modern day player appreciate what he's got.

Hibernian Verse
03-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Whilst a full size indoor pitch would be braw I'd still favour the occasional Colditz style camp and public park session to make the pampered modern day player appreciate what he's got.

That's a poor generalisation that none of them know how good they have it. I'd also rather they didn't train and turn ankles on public parks.

Since452
03-05-2019, 08:39 AM
I think there was a significant investment made in replacing the full sized artificial outdoor pitch recently too which may have set things back

Itsnoteasy
03-05-2019, 08:47 AM
That's as may be, but the game has moved on and there is no doubt such a facility could make a difference and put us on par or above our competitors in the signing market. It all comes down to prioritising investment. How much and where does this sit on the priority list. Possibly knocked back a bit 'cos of having to spend on things like new CCTV, sniffer dugs, increased stewarding 'cos of recent numpty behaviour.

Yes the game has moved on but 9/10 Is about the £.

Pretty Boy
03-05-2019, 08:48 AM
We need a full size indoor pitch as part of our elite academy status requirements. It will happen sooner rather than later.

JimBHibees
03-05-2019, 08:53 AM
We need a full size indoor pitch as part of our elite academy status requirements. It will happen sooner rather than later.

Do clubs get financial assistance to build these facilities?

Billy Whizz
03-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Apart from Hearts using Oriam, do any other Scottish clubs have a full size indoor pitch?

JimBHibees
03-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Apart from Hearts using Oriam, do any other Scottish clubs have a full size indoor pitch?

Only ones I can think of are Toryglen and Ravenscraig not sure who gets to use these facilities.

DarlingtonHibee
03-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Do clubs get financial assistance to build these facilities?

You would like to think so, must be grants for this?

CapitalGreen
03-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Only ones I can think of are Toryglen and Ravenscraig not sure who gets to use these facilities.

Aberdeen Sports Village next to Pittodrie also has one.

Jones28
03-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Aberdeen Sports Village next to Pittodrie also has one.

It's a great facility.

truehibernian
03-05-2019, 09:19 AM

I think it's also in the original purchase agreement that we committed to building an indoor complex for community use too PB. Was staff at EM that told me that at a mental health event I was working at recently (at EM). The timelines meant/mean we have to have it underway by next year.

Since452
03-05-2019, 09:39 AM

Sounds promising

Golden Bear
03-05-2019, 10:29 AM
If the Club put out a begging request for fans to contribute directly to the indoor pitch then I'd be up for it.

:flag:

NAE NOOKIE
03-05-2019, 10:51 AM

I've played at Ravenscraig many times and we often have to wait for Glasgow Warriors to leave the pitch, so I presume anybody can use that one.

where'stheslope
03-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Question - Why would we want a full size indoor plastic pitch when everyone complains about the injuries they supposedly cause?
With most of the clubs wanting all the clubs to have grass pitches in the premiership, it seems strange to want a full size plastic indoor pitch?

SChibs
03-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Question - Why would we want a full size indoor plastic pitch when everyone complains about the injuries they supposedly cause?
With most of the clubs wanting all the clubs to have grass pitches in the premiership, it seems strange to want a full size plastic indoor pitch?

Because it's just an excuse. Hibs, hearts and the old firm off the top of my head have plastic pitches at their training facilities so it's not like they aren't used to them.

JimBHibees
03-05-2019, 04:35 PM

It would be a great facility for use when weather isnt very good also good for working on set plays etc behind closed doors in case Marcelo Bielsa is watching. :greengrin

Has it been proven they cause any more injuries than playing on say rock hard grass pitches.

hfc rd
03-05-2019, 04:44 PM

I’m sure Murray Park (Rangers) & Lennoxtown (Celtic) have one. Might be wrong.

East Mains does have one but it is tiny and more suited for 5 a-side.

CentreLine
03-05-2019, 05:00 PM

Already hinted at in a previous post but it is essential to have a place to train in bad weather. Not an ideal surface but better than no surface at all. Every big club would aspire to have a full size indoor pitch for just such an eventuality and it is why all of the currently available places are booked out during the winter months.
Having one at East Mains would give us that advantage over others but also fulfils our requirements for the top rating Elite Academy. That in turn opens doors for attracting the best potential to the club in young players. That’s the future of the game and we need to be part of it.

Itsnoteasy
03-05-2019, 06:15 PM
You would like to think so, must be grants for this?

I would be surprised if we were given a grant for this. Under what category would we qualify.
We are a multi million pound business.

B.H.F.C
03-05-2019, 06:41 PM
I might be imagining this. But I’m sure I read before that, although we were/are looking at building and indoor facility, it wouldn’t quite be full size.

GreenCastle
03-05-2019, 06:50 PM
I’m sure Murray Park (Rangers) & Lennoxtown (Celtic) have one. Might be wrong.

East Mains does have one but it is tiny and more suited for 5 a-side.

Lennox town and Murray Park don’t have one. They have around 7v7 pitches.

In Scotland you have..

Oriam
Aberdeen Sports Village
Ravenscraig

Hibs are exploring it - I think it would be a bubble as cheaper than an Oriam type but full size.

I did hear there is an issue with some of the ground under East Mains - as in hard to build on and wasn’t checked before the land was purchased originally - which sounds mad but you never know.

Iain G
03-05-2019, 07:01 PM
I might be imagining this. But I’m sure I read before that, although we were/are looking at building and indoor facility, it wouldn’t quite be full size.

A bit like the newest stand at tynecastle then?

greenlex
03-05-2019, 07:31 PM
Lennox town and Murray Park don’t have one. They have around 7v7 pitches.

In Scotland you have..

Oriam
Aberdeen Sports Village
Ravenscraig

Hibs are exploring it - I think it would be a bubble as cheaper than an Oriam type but full size.

I did hear there is an issue with some of the ground under East Mains - as in hard to build on and wasn’t checked before the land was purchased originally - which sounds mad but you never know.
Ground that’s hard to build on???? That’s a new one on me. It’s a former farm so I would doubt there are any issues.

Peevemor
03-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Coal mines?

GreenCastle
03-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Ground that’s hard to build on???? That’s a new one on me. It’s a former farm so I would doubt there are any issues.

As in under ground - possible issues.

Maybe just nonsense.

jacomo
03-05-2019, 09:08 PM
I remember a lot of fans questioning the value of East Mains when it was built. Not surprising in a way, because it coincided with the start of our downward spiral.

No one says that now though. We joke about new players praising the facilities but no doubt that East Mains is delivering for us now. As a club we should always be looking to provide the best training facilities we can.

cmcd
03-05-2019, 09:25 PM

Over 50s walking Football

SquashedFrogg
03-05-2019, 09:45 PM

Indoor grass pitches are virtually impossible on a practical level. Has to be artificial.

The Pointer
03-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Any 'underground' problems I would assume are associated with extensive historic mine workings going back several hundred years. There is an engineering solution to anything but complexity in foundations will be reflected in the cost.

Golden Bear
04-05-2019, 06:36 AM
Surely any perceived "underground problems" would have been highlighted and investigated when the Club first became interested in East Mains? I presume Surveyors would have been involved somewhere along the line?

greenlex
04-05-2019, 07:05 AM
There’s buildings at East Mains at the moment. Are they in danger of collapse?

eastcoasthibby
04-05-2019, 07:15 AM
It's a great facility.

It's not Aberdeen's and is massively subsidised in its running by being used by a while range of local football teams and a host of other sport activities ...so if Hibs built one the coat would be all theirs and need to be offset surely by renting it out to local teams !!

Since452
04-05-2019, 07:21 AM
I remember a lot of fans questioning the value of East Mains when it was built. Not surprising in a way, because it coincided with the start of our downward spiral.

No one says that now though. We joke about new players praising the facilities but no doubt that East Mains is delivering for us now. As a club we should always be looking to provide the best training facilities we can.

Absolutely. I think we'd have struggled to get players from Manchester City and Genoa on loan without it. If we have good coaches facilities like East Mains are pivotal. We've seen it over the last few years definitely.

eastcoasthibby
04-05-2019, 07:27 AM
There is an obvious difference in what the land is being used for if there is underground mine workings under east mains, having a number of football pitches and some low level lightweight building structures will probably have very little if any risk attached to them being used. And disappearing. Putting a new and larger heavier structure that needs greater foundations would obviously increase the risk of any underground mornings coming into play and problems showing. And before I get asked and slaughtered I am no engineering expert just applying some common sense.
All of which might be why there is a delay as the club assess the costs involved and risks, put that against where our spending priorities rest. Interesting that if we did this that we would be the only club in Scotland that own there own full size indoor facility, but the big part is what spending on this would make to our squad spending.

Ringothedog
04-05-2019, 07:43 AM
There is an obvious difference in what the land is being used for if there is underground mine workings under east mains, having a number of football pitches and some low level lightweight building structures will probably have very little if any risk attached to them being used. And disappearing. Putting a new and larger heavier structure that needs greater foundations would obviously increase the risk of any underground mornings coming into play and problems showing. And before I get asked and slaughtered I am no engineering expert just applying some common sense.
All of which might be why there is a delay as the club assess the costs involved and risks, put that against where our spending priorities rest. Interesting that if we did this that we would be the only club in Scotland that own there own full size indoor facility, but the big part is what spending on this would make to our squad spending.
Have the club not already stated that the funding is in place, I am sure I read that somewhere

The 90+2
04-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Why not just use the Oriam too as it’s not exclusive to the maroon flumps?

eastcoasthibby
04-05-2019, 07:54 AM
Have the club not already stated that the funding is in place, I am sure I read that somewhere

I read something about the cost think it was last summer, but not sure if that was actual cost or estimated, anyhow a year on the price will be up again ...wherever it is in the club's agenda we won't influence their decision. Have to admit I personally am unconvinced that spending a couple of million on it just now, is a higher priority than getting that sort of cash spent on the playing side if we have it to spend. Time will tell 😁

greenlex
04-05-2019, 07:55 AM
There are underground mine working all over the Lothians and huge parts of the country. It’s wont be an issue.

Since452
04-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Maybe juet waiting on the McGinn lottery win money coming through 😉

Mick O'Rourke
04-05-2019, 12:11 PM
There’s buildings at East Mains at the moment. Are they in danger of collapse?

There is heavy financial debt building at sevco at the moment.
Are they in danger of collapse ! :greengrin

Brightside
04-05-2019, 01:58 PM
They know where it is going. Just need to cross a few Ts before it gets started.

Greenbeard
04-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Indoor grass pitches are virtually impossible on a practical level. Has to be artificial.
Sure to be a few on here with experience growing grass indoors?

Billy Whizz
04-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Sure to be a few on here with experience growing grass indoors?

Have the cops at your door

Jones28
04-05-2019, 09:11 PM
It's not Aberdeen's and is massively subsidised in its running by being used by a while range of local football teams and a host of other sport activities ...so if Hibs built one the coat would be all theirs and need to be offset surely by renting it out to local teams !!

Yes, I know that. That doesn't stop it being a great facility does it?

Billy Whizz
05-05-2019, 02:20 PM
Heard LD being interviewed by Tom English in bbc half an hour ago
Saying she expects indoor facility at East Mains in a year or so, whether that’s starting building or not, wasn’t clear