PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in Europe

Lancs Harp
02-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Never made it to a Hibs European away game, would love to go, nearly got to Brondby but simply couldnt justify the cost at the time.

In the very modern era of post Scottish Cup Champions for those who travelled what was the best European away day (or two) Brondby, Runavik, Asteras or Molde?

HibeeDaz6270
02-05-2019, 08:16 PM
I went to both Brondby & Asteras

Both fantastic trips and for me worth every penny even with inflated costs. If affordable at the next opportunity - do it!

Brondby was the best for me. It was my first . A beautiful city and just overall a fantastic couple of days. It will be difficult to top . The only downside being the cost of a beer.

Fingers crossed for maximum points in our last 3 games for the possibility of another trip

sixtwo
02-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Never made it to a Hibs European away game, would love to go, nearly got to Brondby but simply couldnt justify the cost at the time.

In the very modern era of post Scottish Cup Champions for those who travelled what was the best European away day (or two) Brondby, Runavik, Asteras or Molde?

Athens / Tripoli’s was great for me. The square in the wee town before the game was immense.

hibby6270
02-05-2019, 08:20 PM
I’m in a similar position as the OP.

However, I went to a pre season friendly in Macclesfield a few years back. Does that count?:greengrin

Itsnoteasy
02-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Athens / Tripoli’s was great for me. The square in the wee town before the game was immense.

The riot cops after the match weren't to clever.

Jumbo
The Dnipropetrovsk trip in 2005, apart from result was brilliant :flag:

Lancs Harp
I went to a pre season friendly in Macclesfield a few years back. Does that count?:greengrin

I used to live in Congleton not a million miles away from Macc, a decent night out with some good pubs!!

But no it doesnt count :greengrin

Ringothedog
02-05-2019, 08:25 PM
The best trip I had was Videoton which we did by supporters bus. Have also done Anderlecht, Athens, Dnipro, Faroes, Norway as well as pre season tours of Germany

green with envy
02-05-2019, 08:28 PM
I’m in a similar position as the OP.

However, I went to a pre season friendly in Macclesfield a few years back. Does that count?:greengrin

I went to that game too. Circa '98 from memory?

HibeeHibernian4
02-05-2019, 09:04 PM

I was at Brondby, Runavik and Asteras, and I'd rank them:

1) Brondby
2) Asteras
3) Runavik

Brondby was just incredible. A Scottish Cup afterparty, almost like a second parade out in the Copenhagen sunshine. Expensive but most just bought cans for cheap(er) bevvying. A David Gray goal that felt like it came out of nowhere sparked utter pandemonium in the away end, and is easily one of the best bounces I've ever been a part of. I'd give it 9 out of 10, if we'd won the shootout it would win full marks.

Asteras was very good, but I think the fact that there were Hibs fans in both Athens and Tripoli (and also Crete?) meant that we were all a bit separated until the afternoon of the game. A fantastic bounce for McGinn's goal, but then such a nerve-shredding second half to endure, particularly when they levelled on the night. I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

Runavik was ridiculous. Eye-watering prices, beautiful scenery, an absurd game of football, fog nearly calling the whole thing off, two Stevie Mallan screamers, the CCS flag getting ran up the flagpole, it had a bit of everything. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Consider myself very lucky to have been able to go on the three, and also a little bit lucky that I swerved Molde. Looked a good trip but the result wasn't particularly fun. I'm still unbeaten in Europe, after all. :greengrin

The Spaceman
02-05-2019, 09:12 PM
Only went to see us play Asteras, but what a trip that was. I knew it was going to me mega, but even then it exceeded my expectations. Marching through the town square in Tripolis and drinking in the sun with over a thousand Hibees...night out back in Athens wasn't bad either :greengrin

oldbutdim
02-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Faroes was never on my bucket list, so extra points for that.

Scorrie
02-05-2019, 09:17 PM
The trip to Brussels to watch Hibs play Anderlecht in 1992 was a great trip though got a bit hairy after when hordes of Moroccans hoved into view and we ended up barricades in a pub overnight!!

hibby6270
02-05-2019, 10:06 PM
I went to that game too. Circa '98 from memory?

Yeah. That’s about right.
Only things I remember about the game. 0-0 draw. Ollie was in goal.

tanfield
02-05-2019, 10:09 PM
Videoton was epic!

Up The Bracket
02-05-2019, 10:14 PM
I was at Faroes, Tripoli and Molde.

Faroes the best by an absolute mile, hilarious trip where everyone there seemed to be absolutely blootered, Tripoli was a brilliant atmosphere and the game was of course incredible, Tripoli pre-match was unreal too but Athens was a bit of a dump (what we seen of it anyway) which kind of put a dampener on things but was an overall class trip. Molde was a brilliant day out on the Fan Charter But comes last for me cause it was obviously shorter and the result didn’t help.

DickieDastardly
02-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Videoton was epic!

Goooooulash, goulash goulash goulash, goulash goulash.......

SteveHFC
02-05-2019, 10:44 PM
Went to Dnipro, Maribor, Malmo and Molde. Been on a few pre season trips to Ireland and Germany.

Niagara Lad
02-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Liverpool away in 1975. Alec Edwards scored to make it 2-0 on aggregate. Then Toshack destroyed us. Remember the Liverpool fans saying “Listen for their accents” Trouble during and after the game.

CB_NO3
02-05-2019, 11:14 PM
I was at Brondby, Runavik and Asteras, and I'd rank them:

1) Brondby
2) Asteras
3) Runavik

Brondby was just incredible. A Scottish Cup afterparty, almost like a second parade out in the Copenhagen sunshine. Expensive but most just bought cans for cheap(er) bevvying. A David Gray goal that felt like it came out of nowhere sparked utter pandemonium in the away end, and is easily one of the best bounces I've ever been a part of. I'd give it 9 out of 10, if we'd won the shootout it would win full marks.

Asteras was very good, but I think the fact that there were Hibs fans in both Athens and Tripoli (and also Crete?) meant that we were all a bit separated until the afternoon of the game. A fantastic bounce for McGinn's goal, but then such a nerve-shredding second half to endure, particularly when they levelled on the night. I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

Runavik was ridiculous. Eye-watering prices, beautiful scenery, an absurd game of football, fog nearly calling the whole thing off, two Stevie Mallan screamers, the CCS flag getting ran up the flagpole, it had a bit of everything. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Consider myself very lucky to have been able to go on the three, and also a little bit lucky that I swerved Molde. Looked a good trip but the result wasn't particularly fun. I'm still unbeaten in Europe, after all. :greengrin

I would agree with that order. Malmo and Maribor where class as well.

c31
03-05-2019, 12:12 AM
Liverpool away in 1975. Alec Edwards scored to make it 2-0 on aggregate. Then Toshack destroyed us. Remember the Liverpool fans saying “Listen for their accents” Trouble during and after the game.

Still hate Liverpool after that experience, I was 14 and mate got hit by a brick as we were leaving the ground, nasty *******s. My uncle got lost as well, he made his own way back to the car about an hour later in a bit of a state. Them n Leeds were the worst of a very bad bunch in these days.
So as payback - C’Mon Man City & Barca!!!

Wakeyhibee
03-05-2019, 12:19 AM
Only ever got to two Anderlecht and Malmo both were excellent

Niagara Lad
03-05-2019, 12:34 AM
Still hate Liverpool after that experience, I was 14 and mate got hit by a brick as we were leaving the ground, nasty *******s. My uncle got lost as well, he made his own way back to the car about an hour later in a bit of a state. Them n Leeds were the worst of a very bad bunch in these days.
So as payback - C’Mon Man City & Barca!!!

Opposite end from the Kop. Half the away end was Hibees, the other half was Liverpool. Cops waded into Hibs fans with huge sticks. Absolute mental. Hibs fans stood their ground. Never seen anything like it since.

LancsHibs
03-05-2019, 05:33 AM
Only ever got to two Anderlecht and Malmo both were excellent

Your right there Wakey👍 How are you pal?

staunchhibby
03-05-2019, 06:48 AM
Was at Bronby and Molde two great trips.

BILLYHIBS
03-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Sporting Lisbon 2 v 1 HIBS

Discribed by Eddie Turnbull as the greatest ever HIBS performance away from home in Europe at that time

Eddie Turnbull is in the Changing Room giving his prematch team talk just then the Changing Room door opens and a Sporting Official enters with a tray of Rolex watches Eddie Turnbull in mid spiel with his flalling arms accidentally knocks the tray up in the air Johnny Hamilton sitting patiently listening to his team talk says “ Look Boss! Time flies!”

SANH 1875
03-05-2019, 07:09 AM
Belgium twice for me (Anderlecht and FC Liege). Anderlwcht was a brilliant trip, amazing stadium for the time and one of the best bounces when Jackson scored. Pished for 3 days, shattered when we got back but memories live on. That's what Europe is all about.

green with envy
03-05-2019, 07:29 AM
I've only missed 3 competitive away games in Europe (Dinaburg, Runavik & Molde) since my first trip away to Videtone and all have been fantastic trips in their own merits. Hard to pick one and if put on the spot it would have be Videotone.

Speedy
03-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Never been but had a serious look at the Molde and Runavig games.

Fancy going to the Faroe Islands at aome point. Wee bit different.

Gloucester Hibs
03-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Done 3 Hibs Euro away trips - Elfsborg, Maribor, and Molde. Net scoreline from those 3 ties 0-8! All great trips though and great memories even if the results didn't quite match.

Shamrock Rovers friendly in Dublin 10 years ago was tremendous too, got the flights off Ryanair for 1p!

norhfc
03-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Made it to Brondby and Molde, have to say Brondby was the clear winner. To my eternal shame I missed the Cup Final, didnt even see the game on TV. I was on a flight to Croatia to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary, met some huns in Dubrovnik that night tho, not happy with me singing in one of the squares :)

Said to the wife before the draw, I,m going even if its Azerberjan...brilliant 3 days :flag:

Hillsidehibby
03-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Missed the final due to family issues so Brondby was a cup winning celebration for me.
Absolutely brilliant.

Austinho
03-05-2019, 09:23 AM
Brondby in Copenhagen was absolutely class. Amazing city to spend a few days in, great weather and as mentioned was basically a big Scottish Cup afterparty. Thankfully there was enough sightseeing to give restbite from all the booze. Even the game was decent as to go there and win on the night gave us something to cheer about.

“Warburton’s a fanny, he wears a fannies hat. He tried to win the Scottish Cup but couldnae manage that. And now the famous Hibees are in Europe once again, we’re taking over Denmark with whisky and c****ne”

Aside from Hibs, I went to Wembley with Scotland and the takeover of Trafagular Square was like nothing I’d ever seen. The tartan army singing in the underground was the loudest thing I’d ever heard.

Bangkok Hibby
03-05-2019, 11:44 AM
The thread doesnt specifically say away games so I'll say my favourite European game was my first, and first game under the lights too. Napoli at home 1967. An unbelievable experience for a ten year old at his first night game. Thanks for letting me go Mum, I'll never forget it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Aye, that's a tough one to beat, really enjoyed Dinaburg too, watching the 2nd half of The World Cup Final In a brothel in Riga was a tad unusual!

cheltenhamhibee
03-05-2019, 12:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8yEfn2rwI

Dnipro away was mental, best away trip for me, great time, great mates, great beer :flag:

The Modfather
03-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Aye, that's a tough one to beat, really enjoyed Dinaburg too, watching the 2nd half of The World Cup Final In a brothel in Riga was a tad unusual!

Been to Dnipro and Bronby, the Dnipro trip was something else so many stories. Bronby was more civilised as went over with the wife and made a long weekend of it. Absolutely loved Copenhagen and keen to go back again one day.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-05-2019, 12:51 PM
Oldham away was a bit of an eye opener to this fresh faced youngster at the time! I think it might be the occasion of my first pint(s) in a pub! 🍺

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Liege and Anderlecht, the latter more memorable although we were based in Oostende for that one :party: muchos jupiler consumed

hibeerealist
03-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Opposite end from the Kop. Half the away end was Hibees, the other half was Liverpool. Cops waded into Hibs fans with huge sticks. Absolute mental. Hibs fans stood their ground. Never seen anything like it since.

ye it got quite nasty in there that night and there were huns in that part of the Liverpool support too as they were playing in Ireland the next night, carnage from the minute we arrived until we left late at night.

Been to Maribor, great trip other than result, Asteris which again was great trip with both these away games attracting great numbers of Hibbies.

Also attended both Leeds away and Liverpool in the Seventies - massive Hibs support for all four games and we were very unlucky in all games. By far the most trouble in Liverpool (both games) and Leeds had the worst reputation too. Never quite got the, Liverpool fans are the greatest, as I watched the Kop emptying after they beat us 3-2 on aggregate only to find that a lot of them had made their way to the exit where the Hibs fans were leaving you can guess the rest.

From memory, there were several stabbings of Hibs fans at ER on at least one of the home ties v LFC.

Got to know guys from Crystal Palace who said the most trouble they get at away games was LFC, strangely this was nowhere near as bad when they played Everton in the same city!!!

Wakeyhibee
03-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Your right there Wakey👍 How are you pal?

Very good mate, hope all is good your way, if you're going Killie away give us a shout buddy

Bishop Hibee
03-05-2019, 04:28 PM
I only ever did Anderlecht. Incredible and that was just the bus journey there!

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-05-2019, 04:32 PM
Nobody's mentioned Millwall yet! 😁

green with envy
03-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Nobody's mentioned Millwall yet! 😁

Was also there that barmy Friday night.

One that I tend to try and forget.:greengrin

IberianHibernian
03-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Now that friendlies have been mentioned I was at Sevilla in December 1986 and Gibraltar in July 2013 . About 50 Hibbies in Seville but almost all had got bus up from Costa del Sol . A couple of hundred in Gibraltar but again almost all had travelled from Costa del Sol so no drunken meet up in a square which seems to be main plan for European trips now . Good memories of other trips to Ireland , Leicester and Highlands . Have we had big away supports at ER in European ties in last 20 years ?

Lancs Harp
03-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Anyone make it to South Morocco and the USA? :greengrin

Hannah_hfc
03-05-2019, 11:44 PM
Brøndby was my first and only European away trip. Similar to other posts was just incredible. Funnily enough the ticket to the match was the cheapest thing about it.

I remember being right at the front when the Hibs goal went in, I love watching that video from the home end of all us Hibees celebrating, just mental!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

staunchhibby
04-05-2019, 07:02 AM
The party atmosphere at the Dubliner in Copenhagen was superb.Even locals and visitors joined in and the march to the game was something else.

B.H.F.C
04-05-2019, 07:30 AM
The party atmosphere at the Dubliner in Copenhagen was superb.Even locals and visitors joined in and the march to the game was something else.

The march to the train station, the subsequent train journey and the march to the ground was something else.

Tell you what, it was some walk though!

wpj
04-05-2019, 08:36 AM
Anderlecht, mental doesn't cover it.

Green Reaper
04-05-2019, 09:07 AM

Mental is the right description, more of an adventure than a trip, fantastic 😁

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Mental is the right description, more of an adventure than a trip, fantastic 😁

It was a fantastic few days.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Been fortunate enough to have been at them all, all were outstanding, would be hard to rank them, Brondby was a magnificent continuation of the cup celebrations, Runavik the maddest game I've attended, Tripoli the best European result of recent times, and Molde was a great place with great people, only let down was the disappointing result.

WoreTheGreen
04-05-2019, 07:07 PM

Went to Anderlecht by plane after Liege by bus , never again.We arrived at Brussels airport but unfortunately our luggage didn’t it was on the next flight.A rep told us since it was there fault it was a free bar until the luggage arrives. Two hours plus later a airport worker told us our luggage had been on the carousel for over a hour. Some trip

wpj
05-05-2019, 05:18 AM
Went to Anderlecht by plane after Liege by bus , never again.We arrived at Brussels airport but unfortunately our luggage didn’t it was on the next flight.A rep told us since it was there fault it was a free bar until the luggage arrives. Two hours plus later a airport worker told us our luggage had been on the carousel for over a hour. Some trip

Haha, so many stories from that trip

Green Reaper
05-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Me and my Brother got free flights from London (living there then) using my air miles and thought we would easily get a hotel when there, after wandering the streets for 2 hours finding all the hotels full, we were at the reception desk of yet another, getting nowhere, then the lift opens behind me and someone calls out my name. It was an old friend I had not seen for a long time. Ended up sleeping on the floor of their room for 2 nights. Better than sleeping in the street!

erin go bragh
05-05-2019, 01:22 PM

When Deeks made it 1-1 we were going through on away goals 😜