PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Barcelona

Lancs Harp
01-05-2019, 07:19 PM
I have recently started collecting home programmes from our European exploits in Europe, a small collection so far but I'm working on it.

With that in mind and Barca taking on Liverpool in the Champions League I thought I'd start a thread about our own famous European encounter with Catalan giants and some of the content of the programme (one I have).

We of course won the match 3-2 infront of 45,000 fans and having already produced a fantastic 4-4 result in Barcelona just after Christmas went through to the semi finals to face Roma.

Our heroes that night were Simpson, Fraser, McClelland, Baxter, Easton, Baird, Preston, Kinloch, McLeod, Baker and Ormond.

The Barca team contained a Luis Suarez! Koscis and Tejeda but their star man Kubala was injured and missed out.

Hibs trailed 2-1 at halftime having taken the lead on ten minutes from a Joe Baker goal. Martinez and Koscis put Barca in front. Goals from Preston and late disputed penalty from Kinloch won the game for the Hibees. The story goes that Barca were so incensed by the decison that they chased the referee down the tunnel at the end of the game.

The prgramme itself cost 6D (which I believe is 2.5p?) and has a Barca team pic on the front cover.

It contained adverts for McEwans Export, King George 4th Whisky, Senior Service ciggies, Dryborough's home and away beers make the day! Robert Sibbald Travel Agents, Thorntons Sports Equipment form Princess Street, The Tiffin for a snack on Easter Road, Gramophone records played at the game supplied by Bandparts from Union Place and Bairds the boot maker from South Bridge Street. Anyone recall these local shops?

Our previous domestic game was the 15-1 win over Peebles Rovers in the cup with Joe Baker netting 9 times. Our following game was against Airdrie, from Barca to Airdrie eh!!

In the semi final we eventually lost out to Roma in a play off game (rather heavily 6-0) after drawing 2-2 at home and 3-3 away. We'd have made the final if the away goal rule had been around then. Roma then went on to win the cup beating Birmingham City 4-2 over the two legs (2-2 and 2-0)

Those were the days eh.

hibsfan7
01-05-2019, 07:21 PM
There was actually 55,000 at the game

Lancs Harp
01-05-2019, 07:24 PM

I got the 45,000 from fitbastats. I wouldnt actually know.

WoreTheGreen
01-05-2019, 07:24 PM
I have recently started collecting home programmes from our European exploits in Europe, a small collection so far but I'm working on it.

With that in mind and Barca taking on Liverpool in the Champions League I thought I'd start a thread about our own famous European encounter with Catalan giants and some of the content of the programme (one I have).

We of course won the match 3-2 infront of 45,000 fans and having already produced a fantastic 4-4 result in Barcelona just after Christmas went through to the semi finals to face Roma.

Our heroes that night were Simpson, Fraser, McClelland, Baxter, Easton, Baird, Preston, Kinloch, McLeod, Baker and Ormond.

The Barca team contained a Luis Suarez! Koscis and Tejeda but their star man Kubala was injured and missed out.

Hibs trailed 2-1 at halftime having taken the lead on ten minutes from a Joe Baker goal. Martinez and Koscis put Barca in front. Goals from Preston and late disputed penalty from Kinloch won the game for the Hibees. The story goes that Barca were so incensed by the decison that they chased the referee down the tunnel at the end of the game.

The prgramme itself cost 6D (which I believe is 2.5p?) and has a Barca team pic on the front cover.

It contained adverts for McEwans Export, King George 4th Whisky, Senior Service ciggies, Dryborough's home and away beers make the day! Robert Sibbald Travel Agents, Thorntons Sports Equipment form Princess Street, The Tiffin for a snack on Easter Road, Gramophone records played at the game supplied by Bandparts from Union Place and Bairds the boot maker from South Bridge Street. Anyone recall these local shops?

Our previous domestic game was the 15-1 win over Peebles Rovers in the cup with Joe Baker netting 9 times. Our following game was against Airdrie, from Barca to Airdrie eh!!

In the semi final we eventually lost out to Roma in a play off game (rather heavily 6-0) after drawing 2-2 at home and 3-3 away. We'd have made the final if the away goal rule had been around then. Roma then went on to win the cup beating Birmingham City 4-2 over the two legs (2-2 and 2-0)

Those were the days eh.

My brother has the programme

CentreLine
01-05-2019, 07:35 PM

Those were the days eh.

McLeod was of course Ally McLeod, the much maligned Scotland Manager of the 1978 World Cup but a fabulously entertaining and positive man the likes of which we could do with again.

thebakerboy
01-05-2019, 07:51 PM
I think the Mcleod in that team was Johnny who left Hibs for Arsenal after the 9 3 disaster at Wembley in which he played. Ally came to Hibs the next season I think.
I was at that game and as I remember the Barca players didnt just chase the Ref down the tunnel they chased him when he awarded the penalty and he sheltered beside the police at the tunnel.It took ages to get penalty taken and the went after the Ref again. He stayed by the tunnel near the police for the rest of the game. The Hibs move that helped that night was to play Baker in the 10 shirt and Kinloch in the no 9. They kicked poor Bobby up and down all night but he had the last laugh by scoring the penalty. The last time I was at the Nou Camp we were in the museum and there was no mention of that match at all. Barcelona came back to play a friendly the next year to apologise.

Peanut Shaz
01-05-2019, 07:55 PM
The late Joe McClelland was my Father in law! We have quite a few items from those games in our possesion, including a pewter replica of the Camp Nou.

erin go bragh
01-05-2019, 08:03 PM
I also have the program. When we had a tour round the Stadium in Spain( 1999) . In the trophy room was a picture of that very Hibs team .

ACLeith
01-05-2019, 08:10 PM
I was at the game as a 12 year old, in the enclosure below the South Stand. I have the programme as one of my prized possessions.

Trivia - Tejeda was listed in the programme as right wing, but according to my 12 year old handwriting on the programme, he didn't play, instead Evaristo moved from centre forward to right wing and Martinez, who scored one of their goals, came in as the number 9.

I still remember we got a corner, the crowd roared and my dad turned to me said "Don't know why everyone is getting excited, we never score from a corner". Johnny McLeod took it, Tommy Preston rose and netted the equaliser!

My memory is the same as thebakerboy. Our captain Sammy Baird took our players into our half and sat them down to watch the mayhem ensue. Was ages before Bobby Kinloch calmly stroked it home, then it kicked off again.

The local shops? Thorntons Sports Equipment was on the corner of Hanover Street and Princess Street and was there for a long time - I got a set of golf clubs there a few years later, £5 5/- each iron; The Tiffin was on Easter Road, also for a long, long time (I play golf with someone who worked there) and Bandparts was the place to go for records (along with Ards in Great Junction Street).

I was also at the Camp Nou a few years ago and looked for a mention of the game in the museum, but sadly nothing. That season they put Real Madrid out of the European cup, ending their run of victories. In those days, a team could play in both competitions.

Some footage exists of the first leg, but I don't know if there were even cameras at ER?

So many memories of that night, but don't ask me what I had yesterday for breakfast!!

Jonnyboy
01-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Here's an extract from my first book

In a quite stormy affair which at one point had referee Herr Malka of Germany seeking police protection from the angry Barcelona players, Baker and Preston had scored for Hibs whilst the Paraguayan centre forward Eulogio Martinez and Hungarian star Sandor Koscis had countered for Barcelona leaving the sides level as the game entered its last few minutes. At this point Herr Malka awarded a penalty kick to Hibs and the Barcelona players were incensed as they chased the official around the pitch. Some minutes passed whilst Herr Malka attempted to restore order and meanwhile Bobby Kinloch stood patiently waiting to take the kick. Finally, with order restored, Kinloch coolly slammed the ball home to send the Hibs fans into raptures and the Barcelona players into a rage. As the final whistle approached Herr Malka positioned himself near the player’s tunnel, blew for time and then sprinted towards his dressing room. Against all the odds the greens had reached the semi finals with what was a magnificent result and once again the Scottish press sung the praises of Hibernian’s heroes.

Hibs were more than worthy winners and the deplorable incidents late in the game should not be allowed to push into the background what was a truly wonderful display by Hibs. There was no greater star than Joe Baker who outshone by far every one of the high priced Barcelona forwards reported the Scottish Daily Express.

Hibs can once again take their stance in world football The Scottish Daily Mail

Floodlight the Castle, fire a 21 gun salute for Hibs’ never say die heroes who gave Scottish football its greatest boost in years. The Evening Dispatch

A magnificently achieved victory in which every Easter Road man gave wholeheartedly of his best The Daily Record

The Hibee heroes that night were Ronnie Simpson, John Fraser, Joe McClelland, John Baxter, Jim Easton, Sammy Baird, Johnny McLeod, Tommy Preston, Joe Baker, Bobby Kinloch and Willie Ormond

ancient hibee
01-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Think 45000 is nearer the mark.

Bobby Kinloch use to often get offers to buy the boots that scored the penalty.I’m pleased to say he accepted every offer,over a number of years:greengrin

It has often struck me that the team then was the perfect example of the whole being much more than its constituent parts.There were some real journeymen in that team which performed magnificently in Europe.

BILLYHIBS
01-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Good to hear first hand accounts from guys that were actually at the game

I was in the HIBS Changing Room area in 1969 and you could still see the stud marks on the Referees Changing Room door made by the irate Barcelona players

Glory! Glory!

The Harp
01-05-2019, 11:06 PM
I was in my usual spot on the high section of the terracing that night above the path. The scenes after the penalty was awarded by Herr Malka, and at the end of the match, were incredible.
Remember reading Sammy Baird's recollection of that night a while back. Sammy was apparently meant to take the penalty kick but he had an 'accident' in his shorts and up stepped Bobby Kinloch. The rest is history ...

pollution
02-05-2019, 11:11 AM
Where is Princess Street??

Seriously, a good thread. Am I right in saying that Barcelona were so apologetic about their behaviour that they came back for a friendly?

Free of charge in fact.

Here’s Lucy!
02-05-2019, 01:09 PM

Those were the days eh.

What home European games programmes do you already have?

I have a few that I may be willing to part with.

Lancs Harp
02-05-2019, 08:03 PM
What home European games programmes do you already have?

I have a few that I may be willing to part with.

Thanks mate I've sent you a private message.

Iggy Pope
03-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Thanks mate I've sent you a private message.

Collectors Forum could do with more using it!
Maybe get your list of wants up on it?

Forza Fred
04-05-2019, 12:07 AM
McLeod was of course Ally McLeod, the much maligned Scotland Manager of the 1978 World Cup but a fabulously entertaining and positive man the likes of which we could do with again.

No it wasn’t.

Ally, or ‘Missus McLeod as we called him came later.

Johnny MacLeod on the other hand, who played against Barca, was a superb left winger who laid on many crosses for the likes of Joe Baker.

A super player who I think ended up at Arsenal, as opposed to Ayr United.

esjorto
04-05-2019, 02:50 AM
No it wasn’t.

Ally, or ‘Missus McLeod as we called him came later.

Johnny MacLeod on the other hand, who played against Barca, was a superb left winger who laid on many crosses for the likes of Joe Baker.

A super player who I think ended up at Arsenal, as opposed to Ayr United.

I too was at the game and it was Macleod who drew the penalty.Was in RAF with Johnny Macleod at Pitreavie. He was a right winger and as fast as Joe B.
THE other Macleod (yes, he of Allys Army) was also known by Hibs fans as Pinnocchio If you ever saw him play you would see why.

erin go bragh
04-05-2019, 02:43 PM
Where is Princess Street??

Seriously, a good thread. Am I right in saying that Barcelona were so apologetic about their behaviour that they came back for a friendly?

Free of charge in fact.

Yes ,you are correct . The game is on you tube .

Joe6-2
04-05-2019, 02:49 PM
You’ve brought back great memories, not just of the games, but the Tiffin and Bandparts! Big loss the old type ‘record’ shops!!