PDA

View Full Version : Midfield and next season

hibeesteve
30-04-2019, 09:14 PM
I never post on here so don’t slaughter me please. Basicallyjust some thoughts on our midfield which have been building of late. Wonderingif there are others that share the same view or what the general consensus is. Thisisn’t intended to be a negative post, just what I see as the reality and what weneed to improve for next season.

I don’t think we have any athleticism and strength in there which makes the job Heckingbottom has done even more remarkable. Dare I saypapered over the cracks which has some people carried away as usual.

Milligan – Never been a big fan if I’m honest. I think he’sa good pro with a lot of experience but he’s not mobile in the middle of thepark. I’ve also seen him far too easily beaten man on man too many times now.

Bartley – Big fan of Marv but clearly not a Heckingbottomfavourite. Getting older and I fear the legs may be going.

Mallan – The golden boy at the moment! Great technical playerand had a great season. My concern with Mallan is he can’t get around the pitchand I think that costs us. I think that was Heckingbottom’s problem with him atBarnsley. He’s a Subbuteo player, great standing with ball at feet. I also don’tsee him ahead of Allan.

Omeonga – Clearly an excellent player who has composure andability aplenty. Will have a great career……….but not at hibs.

Slivka – Always torn with Slivka. He’s a neat and tidyfootballer and has the physical attributes to be a fantastic player in thisleague. Just isn’t incisive enough and not one for the killer pass. Still thinkthere’s something about him though. Maybe lacks much mental toughness.

Allan – Really excited for his return next season. We allknow what kind of player he is and what he can do. Hope he is driven to succeedand impress. He needs runners around him though otherwise we won’t getanywhere.

The derby probably made me post this. I think it justhighlighted the issues above. When Bozanic came on for them second half he gavethem legs and mobility and we struggled/

Really looking forward to what Heckingbottom does over thesummer and hope he shares my views on our midfield! We need athleticism. What’sthe thoughts? Fair? Too harsh?

bingo70
30-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Agree with pretty much all of that.

Sure you’ll get some stick but I think for the most part you’re spot on. Only bit I probably don’t agree with is Milligan, I think he’s better than you’re giving him credit for, saying that I know what you mean about him getting shown up in one on ones on occasion.

LeithMike
30-04-2019, 09:25 PM
I never post on here so don’t slaughter me please. Basicallyjust some thoughts on our midfield which have been building of late. Wonderingif there are others that share the same view or what the general consensus is. Thisisn’t intended to be a negative post, just what I see as the reality and what weneed to improve for next season.

I don’t think we have any athleticism and strength in there which makes the job Heckingbottom has done even more remarkable. Dare I saypapered over the cracks which has some people carried away as usual.

Milligan – Never been a big fan if I’m honest. I think he’sa good pro with a lot of experience but he’s not mobile in the middle of thepark. I’ve also seen him far too easily beaten man on man too many times now.

Bartley – Big fan of Marv but clearly not a Heckingbottomfavourite. Getting older and I fear the legs may be going.

Mallan – The golden boy at the moment! Great technical playerand had a great season. My concern with Mallan is he can’t get around the pitchand I think that costs us. I think that was Heckingbottom’s problem with him atBarnsley. He’s a Subbuteo player, great standing with ball at feet. I also don’tsee him ahead of Allan.

Omeonga – Clearly an excellent player who has composure andability aplenty. Will have a great career……….but not at hibs.

Slivka – Always torn with Slivka. He’s a neat and tidyfootballer and has the physical attributes to be a fantastic player in thisleague. Just isn’t incisive enough and not one for the killer pass. Still thinkthere’s something about him though. Maybe lacks much mental toughness.

Allan – Really excited for his return next season. We allknow what kind of player he is and what he can do. Hope he is driven to succeedand impress. He needs runners around him though otherwise we won’t getanywhere.

The derby probably made me post this. I think it justhighlighted the issues above. When Bozanic came on for them second half he gavethem legs and mobility and we struggled/

Really looking forward to what Heckingbottom does over thesummer and hope he shares my views on our midfield! We need athleticism. What’sthe thoughts? Fair? Too harsh?Pretty fair summary in my view. Our central midfield is very static, lacks energy and tends to go missing if we are put on the back foot. Would be great to keep Omeonga and add a bit of drive. I like the link with Docherty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The Spaceman
30-04-2019, 09:28 PM
A midfield with Allan, Mallan, Slivka, Horgan, Boyle, Milligan, Bartley, and Murray is a very, very strong starting point.

We have a settled defence and midfield...and I have no doubt both areas will be bolstered over the summer, which makes for very exciting times ahead. We are not faced with a giant rebuild job this summer, unlike last. Players like Boyle and Porteous coming back will be like new signings. I have a feeling we may take a punt and sign Gauld, as well as others.

Iain G
30-04-2019, 09:32 PM
A midfield with Allan, Mallan, Slivka, Horgan, Boyle, Milligan, Bartley, and Murray is a very, very strong starting point.

We have a settled defence and midfield...and I have no doubt both areas will be bolstered over the summer, which makes for very exciting times ahead. We are not faced with a giant rebuild job this summer, unlike last. Players like Boyle and Porteous coming back will be like new signings. I have a feeling we may take a punt and sign Gauld, as well as others.

So that midfield line up with Rocky, Lewis and Kamberi may be a bit imbalanced perhaps 😁

Unseen work
30-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Always find it funny that Mallan is always criticised about his mobility/fitness.

He doesn’t run about like an idiot but he is a very fit boy, he always plays 90 minutes and rarely do you see him blowing or look like he’s struggling to see out a game.

hibeesteve
30-04-2019, 09:41 PM

I think it's more centre of the park I'm focusing on. Agree it's not a major rebuilding job but it definitely needs work. Murray isn't the answer either and with another couple of signings I don't think he'll be near the first team tbh.

hibeesteve
30-04-2019, 09:44 PM
Always find it funny that Mallan is always criticised about his mobility/fitness.

He doesn’t run about like an idiot but he is a very fit boy, he always plays 90 minutes and rarely do you see him blowing or look like he’s struggling to see out a game.

Don't doubt his fitness in any way. Hes just not a box to box midfielder, isn't blessed with pace or acceleration. I doubt it's a coincidence if it's a commonly held view

scuttle
30-04-2019, 09:49 PM

Agree with most of this and would prefer Millgan at centre back when required which would give us 4 decent centre backs for next season allowing us to concentrate on forwards and midfielders

Really looking forward to what Heckingbottom does over thesummer and hope he shares my views on our midfield! We need athleticism. What’sthe thoughts? Fair? Too harsh?

Agree with most of this and would prefer Millgan at centre back when required which would give us 4 decent centre backs for next season allowing us to concentrate on forwards and midfielders

IberianHibernian
30-04-2019, 09:52 PM

We have a settled defence and midfield...and I have no doubt both areas will be bolstered over the summer, which makes for very exciting times ahead. We are not faced with a giant rebuild job this summer, unlike last. Players like Boyle and Porteous coming back will be like new signings. I have a feeling we may take a punt and sign Gauld, as well as others.Boyle and Porteous both had serious injuries so no guarantee they`ll make a big impression if they return to first team . In Boyle`s case his form this season before injury was well below that of 17 / 18 anyway and not just down to playing out of position . In case of Porteous , if he regains full fitness , I`d expect him to be a regular starter despite long contracts given to Gray and McGregor . May not sound great , but presumably club will be hoping to make a good bit of cash by selling him . Agree that midfielders we have are a good base to build on but if we`re hoping to really progress would hope we`re looking for even better .

04Sauzee
30-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Have to agree. I still think he suffers from some supporters expecting him to be a McGinn or McGeouch

Unseen work
30-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Don't doubt his fitness in any way. Hes just not a box to box midfielder, isn't blessed with pace or acceleration. I doubt it's a coincidence if it's a commonly held view

Isn’t he a box to box midfielder? Lately he’s been asked to play more sitting and not to go forward, as has been the case most season.

But when not it’s him that’s got the goals by being in and around the box.

He’s not rapid or anything like that but he keeps going and showed he can do it with his goals he scored against Livi and St mirren.

He’s not going to sprint and back and forth all game, I think his footballing brain is too good for that and across world football there’s not made centre mids that do it. The majority have there role to either sit and dictate or be the one to get forward.

McGinn was 100 mph all game and all over the place, he’s the one real hibs one that stands out for me.

Mallan will pop up in spaces where he can hurt teams and lately has learned where he has to be defensively and is being effective

hibeesteve
30-04-2019, 10:09 PM
Isn’t he a box to box midfielder? Lately he’s been asked to play more sitting and not to go forward, as has been the case most season.

But when not it’s him that’s got the goals by being in and around the box.

He’s not rapid or anything like that but he keeps going and showed he can do it with his goals he scored against Livi and St mirren.

He’s not going to sprint and back and forth all game, I think his footballing brain is too good for that and across world football there’s not made centre mids that do it. The majority have there role to either sit and dictate or be the one to get forward.

McGinn was 100 mph all game and all over the place, he’s the one real hibs one that stands out for me.

Mallan will pop up in spaces where he can hurt teams and lately has learned where he has to be defensively and is being effective

I don't see him as box to box. You're right hes an intelligent player and I do rate him. Hes won games single handedly this season. I'm just saying hes not got the legs to drive the team forward and defend the next minute and that's amplified because hes not got players around him that do that either.

I know we were spoiled with McGinn. I'm not expecting that of mallan but for mallan to play in centre midfield and for us not to be overrun he needs someone with legs next to him. We're not going to get another McGinn with all his qualities but we can get someone with a few of them and allow others, ie mallan, to be creative.

California-Hibs
01-05-2019, 01:35 AM
Can't wait to have Boyle return as a regular starter, we're much more of a threat when he plays.

Also can't wait for Allan to be back part of it as we all know how exceptional he is.

2 players that will give us a completely different look. Excited!

Mixu62
01-05-2019, 02:39 AM
Can't wait to have Boyle return as a regular starter, we're much more of a threat when he plays.

Also can't wait for Allan to be back part of it as we all know how exceptional he is.

2 players that will give us a completely different look. Excited!

Agree, plus Shaw has had one more season so should challenge for a place now, and Mackie knocking on the door, things are looking good. But I guess what OP is getting at is that all these great passing/attacking options need someone on the field to do the dirty work of actually winning the ball back for them. I like that Mallan seems to have toughened up in recent weeks and gets stuck in, but neither he, nor Allan are really "defensive" midfielders. I'm sure Hecky will have someone in mind by now.

we are hibs
01-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Has Milligan spent the majority of his career at centre half? Maybe that's why we drop 10 yards after scoring as his natural instinct is to drop deeper which forces the defence backwards. We were doing it under Lennon too. And both Lennon and Heckingbottom have said it's not something they're being told to do so they're doing it off their own back.

Smartie
01-05-2019, 08:23 AM

He struggles badly when we don't have quick players working hard to give him options when he's got the ball.

During parts of this season he's played very well, when our team has been set up to let him play to his strengths.

He was hung out to dry at other times when he seemed to be caught in possession all the time.

I think he lacks a wee burst of pace over 2-3 yards - the type of burst that McGinn and McGeouch had to take the ball away from opposition players, the type of burst that Slivka has.

In terms of running for 90 minutes, he's fine.

allezsauzee
01-05-2019, 08:29 AM
I agree with a fair bit of what the OP has said. As much as I like what i see from Hecky so far, I think part of the credit for the improvement in our form is due to Omeonga getting match fit and becoming a regular. He brings the sort of energy that we missed after SJM left. On the assumption that he won't be coming back next season, replacing him with a similar type of player is a priority. I think Milligan is a good player, however he doesn't have legs to play twice a week in midfield so we either need to play him in defence or have a plan B for when he needs to be rested. I would quite like to see if Sean Mackie could play that role. I think he has all the attributes to be a good defensive midfielder.

Phil MaGlass
01-05-2019, 08:30 AM
If we can keep a hold of Gauld and Omeonga add one or two like Shaw from the academy along with Allen and we have the makings of a good team for next season.
Looking forward tae next season already.

blackpoolhibs
01-05-2019, 08:45 AM
I'd put money on us signing between 6 - 8 new players for the new season, i think worrying about who we have and how we play now is a waste of time.

We have the basis of a good squad now, its up to the manager to bring in the players in positions we are short in and make sure they are of sufficient quality to enhance what we currently have.

MagicSwirlingShip
01-05-2019, 08:54 AM
He struggles badly when we don't have quick players working hard to give him options when he's got the ball.

During parts of this season he's played very well, when our team has been set up to let him play to his strengths.

He was hung out to dry at other times when he seemed to be caught in possession all the time.

I think he lacks a wee burst of pace over 2-3 yards - the type of burst that McGinn and McGeouch had to take the ball away from opposition players, the type of burst that Slivka has.

In terms of running for 90 minutes, he's fine.

Aye, he’s fit enough just very one paced. Like you say, Dylan was anything but quick but had that initial change of pace and enough skill on the ball that could beat a man and open up a few yards of space.

ancient hibee
01-05-2019, 10:08 AM
So we've got a very poor midfield and are unbeaten in how many games?I wonder how we've managed that?

Jones28
01-05-2019, 10:09 AM
I'd put money on us signing between 6 - 8 new players for the new season, i think worrying about who we have and how we play now is a waste of time.

We have the basis of a good squad now, its up to the manager to bring in the players in positions we are short in and make sure they are of sufficient quality to enhance what we currently have.

Agree with this. Hecky will want to put his own stamp on the squad and supplement what we've got. I can see him looking for a winger, either from the young team or by bringing someone in, Kamberi is wasted out wide. McNulty would be great to keep a hold of but with the kind of money being talked about I don't know if he will. Omeonga is in the same boat, if we were going to keep one of the 4 loanees I would definitely target him.

I think Bartley will move on, as will Lewis Allan - if he's not getting a look in now then will he ever?