PDA

View Full Version : Old Albums that are currently doing it for you....

Dalianwanda
30-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Ive been caught in the trap over the past few years of always looking for the next thing & kinda neglecting the music Ive loved for years. So if this thread has already been done fel free to delete but whats currently getting airplay from you?

This week for me is Ride - Nowhere (probably my all time favorite album), Bryan Eno - Music For Airports (been on heavey repeat when outside, so spacious), Clark - Death Peak (just a thrilling album)..

Hiber-nation
30-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Great thread :greengrin

I'm really enjoying the posthumous Elliott Smith compilation New Moon at the moment which I never really got into first time round.

I completely missed Spilt Milk by Jellyfish until fairly recently. It's brilliantly OTT and I can't stop playing it.

Pretty Boy
30-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Council Estate of Mind by Skinnyman has been on my playlist a lot lately.

One of the best UK hip hop albums ever.

Smartie
30-04-2019, 06:42 PM
I've been listening to "Between 10th and 11th" by the Charlatans a lot again recently.

Hugely under-rated album.

patch1875
30-04-2019, 07:03 PM
The Cult - Sonic Temple

30yo!

The Modfather
30-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Was listening to Lotti Golden & also The La’s at work today

Sylar
30-04-2019, 07:53 PM
I've started getting into a lot of jazz lately (I blame watching Bosch - the jazz soundtracks that accompany it are positively noir jazz - the type of jazz that makes you think of black and white detective films). As a result, I've had a few albums by Davis, Coltrane, Ellington on repeat. Completely new genre and it's been revelatory discovering some of these albums.

In my normal genre, I popped on Hybrid Theory followed by Meteora (Linkin Park) a few days ago and enjoyed listening to the entire thing from start to finish (both were played on First Edition vinyls and sounded beautiful). I followed those up with Around the Fur (Deftones) and They're Only Chasing Safety (Underoath). All albums from my formative music years (Meteora is still probably my all time favourite album).

Dalianwanda
30-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Some great stuff already that i’m gonna check out..if it keeps growing i’ll post a spotify playlist with something from everything mentioned in that month :-)

Onceinawhile
30-04-2019, 09:06 PM
I tend to get round to listening to aha shake heartbreak by Kings of Leon at this time of year, it's a great summer album. Well before they sold out with that sex on fire shenanigans.

Pretty Boy
30-04-2019, 09:09 PM
I tend to get round to listening to aha shake heartbreak by Kings of Leon at this time of year, it's a great summer album. Well before they sold out with that sex on fire shenanigans.

The 1st 2 KOL albums are absolutely amazing. Because of the Times was fine but the 3rd album can always be tricky and the warning signs were there.

Then Sex is on Fire et al happened.......

Frazerbob
30-04-2019, 10:12 PM
KLF The White Room is my current car tuneage. Barrie!

Ronniekirk
30-04-2019, 11:26 PM
Cannae beat the 70s Uriah Heep Wizards and Demons Emerson Lake and Palmer Trilogy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicSwirlingShip
01-05-2019, 12:58 AM
Found my copy of Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues down the back of my record cabinet. Has been getting plenty spins :)

heretoday
01-05-2019, 07:06 AM
Carpenters Gold.

Jones28
01-05-2019, 07:26 AM
The 1st 2 KOL albums are absolutely amazing. Because of the Times was fine but the 3rd album can always be tricky and the warning signs were there.

Then Sex is on Fire et al happened.......

If you take Sex on Fire out of the equation Only By The Night is actually a good album. Manahttan is a great song.

Pyro and Back Down South from Come Around Sundown are excellent too.

WALLS and Mechanical Bull weren't great but

Bangkok Hibby
01-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Graceland-Paul Simon
Led 3
Caravanserai-Santana
Aladin Sane-Bowie
Desire-Dylan
The big pink-The Band
Anything from the Beatles

Mr Grieves
01-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Captain beefheart - safe as milk

Ronniekirk
01-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Captain beefheart - safe as milk

Electricity is a great track Its the only Beef heart Slbum I posses

Ronniekirk
01-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Found my copy of Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues down the back of my record cabinet. Has been getting plenty spins :)

Fear of Music is still one I play

patch1875
01-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Inxs - Kick

Today’s album of choice.

hibby6270
01-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Cannae beat the 70s Uriah Heep Wizards and Demons Emerson Lake and Palmer Trilogy

Agree with your artiste choice, and ELP album, but for Heep, I’d go for Sweet Freedom.

However, as an all time fave I still listen to, it would be the first album I ever bought -

Machine Head by Deep Purple.

MSK
01-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Enjoying some of Paul Carracks stuff

Mixu62
02-05-2019, 02:12 AM
Jesus and Mary Chain, Honeys Dead and Psychocandy. Just brilliant!

Bangkok Hibby
02-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Agree with your artiste choice, and ELP album, but for Heep, I’d go for Sweet Freedom.

However, as an all time fave I still listen to, it would be the first album I ever bought -

Machine Head by Deep Purple.

Machine head and Burn are my two favourite Purple albums. Very different but I cant seperate them.

patch1875
02-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Survival - Bob Marley

Monster of an album.

WeeRussell
02-05-2019, 12:04 PM
If you take Sex on Fire out of the equation Only By The Night is actually a good album. Manahttan is a great song.

Pyro and Back Down South from Come Around Sundown are excellent too.

WALLS and Mechanical Bull weren't great but

Cold Desert is easily my favourite song I've heard by them.

Back down south, pick-up trick and Mi (?) Amigo.. like them all.

Dalianwanda
02-05-2019, 01:23 PM
I'll keep adding as we go...Stick this on shuffle for a musical smorgasboard https://open.spotify.com/user/1165237717/playlist/1GquHScfSrRci0HuddxEkg?si=xiNKGvlwTiiCvx8CPaXeIQ

Hiber-nation
02-05-2019, 06:14 PM
I'll keep adding as we go...Stick this on shuffle for a musical smorgasboard https://open.spotify.com/user/1165237717/playlist/1GquHScfSrRci0HuddxEkg?si=xiNKGvlwTiiCvx8CPaXeIQ

Well done....that is as diverse as it gets!

Listening to Cake by the Trash Can Sinatras at the moment after the totally unexpected joy of hearing their best ever song, the wonderful Obscurity Knocks at half time at tynie the other week!

marinello59
02-05-2019, 06:29 PM
I grabbed Copper Blue by Sugar out of my CD pile the other day to play in the car. It still packs a punch. It’s set me off on a whole Bob Mould fest now from Husker Du through Sugar to his solo stuff.

Killiehibbie
03-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Quadrophenia

JeMeSouviens
03-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Agaetis Byrjun - Sigur Ros, although I do come back to it most years at some point.

One of the joys of spotify (for old folk like me) is you can go back and listen to stuff you only ever had on long lost, or in the loft and not coming back, vinyl or cassettes. I put Big Country's The Crossing on the other day. Chance is just the perfect miserable Scotland in the early 80s song.

easty
03-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Not an album, but I heard Half Full Glass of Wine by Tame Impala for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago, and I've been playing it constantly since.

Sylar
03-05-2019, 08:58 PM
For some reason, I found myself listening to the Stereophonics' "Performance and Cocktails" today - I forgot just how bloody good that is, cover to cover (and I'm not a huge Phonics' fan).

Mibbes Aye
04-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Fear of Music is still one I play

Playing Remain in Light just now while clearing for a house move, my personal favourite Talking Heads album.

Speaking in Tongues and Fear of Music are very fine albums too though.

And even the later stuff still stands up to a degree.

Fantastic band and only properly recognised by those who love them IMO

MagicSwirlingShip
05-05-2019, 01:47 AM
Playing Remain in Light just now while clearing for a house move, my personal favourite Talking Heads album.

Speaking in Tongues and Fear of Music are very fine albums too though.

And even the later stuff still stands up to a degree.

Fantastic band and only properly recognised by those who love them IMO

Massively underrated band.

PeeJay
05-05-2019, 07:40 AM
"Ram" by McCartney -
"Be Good To Yourselves at Least Once a Day" - Man
"Moving Waves" - Focus
"Argus" Wishbone Ash
"Gallagher & Lyle" - G&L

MagicSwirlingShip
07-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions soundtracking my Tuesday morning

wpj
07-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Astral weeks, Van Morrison
Planet Waves Dylan and the band
Loaded Velvet Underground
Forever Changes Love
Loads loads more

grunt
07-05-2019, 07:51 PM
"Be Good To Yourselves at Least Once a Day" - Man

Love this album.

The Modfather
07-05-2019, 10:48 PM
Forever Changes Love
Loads loads more

Forever Changes by Love is a great album! As is Music From The Big Pink by The Band mentioned by someone earlier.

Ronniekirk
08-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Forever Changes Love
Loads loads more

Saw Astral Weeks played in its entirety in January at Celtic Connections by a House Band That gets together for the festival and cover Classic Albums
They more than did it justice

heretoday
08-05-2019, 03:14 PM
With The Beatles

A collection of singles really and b-sides rather than a concept album which came later. Great stuff though and a tight band.

MagicSwirlingShip
09-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Primal Scream - Screamadelica

As enchanting now as on first listen. Superb

patch1875
10-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Sonic Youth - Dirty

wpj
10-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Primal Scream - Screamadelica

As enchanting now as on first listen. Superb

I have had Screamadelica on cassette CD and vinyl. An absolute classic. Saw it performed in London in full followed by a greatest hits set (available on CD DVD) got stranded in South London as there was no tubes running when the gig finished but no regrets at all.

Smartie
10-05-2019, 04:04 PM
I have had Screamadelica on cassette CD and vinyl. An absolute classic. Saw it performed in London in full followed by a greatest hits set (available on CD DVD) got stranded in South London as there was no tubes running when the gig finished but no regrets at all.

The album version of "Come together" is just about as good as music can get.

It's one of my all-time favourites.

A strange mix of different genres of music that seem to fit together perfectly.

weecounty hibby
10-05-2019, 04:40 PM
I was decorating a couple of weeks ago and locked myself away and played Black Sabbath from "Black Sabbath" to "Heaven and Hell" absolutely fantastic way to get through a day of painting and papering. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love them and took me back to my youth

Ronniekirk
11-05-2019, 07:45 AM
Fairies Wear Boots and War Pigs are two I Tracks I play a lot

Aldo
11-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Not as old as some but been listening to a bit of The Housemartins in recent weeks.

Paul Heaton is a lyrical genius!

Mibbes Aye
11-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Not as old as some but been listening to a bit of The Housemartins in recent weeks.

Paul Heaton is a lyrical genius!

I know this is a thread about what one is listening to now, but I regularly stick on the Housemartins (though not for a while). Very tight, very polished and still relevant. Would be near or at the top of my list of under appreciated bands.

Aldo
11-05-2019, 05:49 PM
I know this is a thread about what one is listening to now, but I regularly stick on the Housemartins (though not for a while). Very tight, very polished and still relevant. Would be near or at the top of my list of under appreciated bands.

Beautiful South were excellent and along with Jacqui Abbot were superb.

I love all kinds of music and also been listening to quite a bit of hip hop and rap.

wpj
12-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Beautiful South were excellent and along with Jacqui Abbot were superb.

I love all kinds of music and also been listening to quite a bit of hip hop and rap.

I highly recommend DJ Guru from GangStarr jazzmataz albums, really chilled out rap with old Jazz beats. Really cool.
Jurassic Five are also great

Aldo
12-05-2019, 03:35 PM
I highly recommend DJ Guru from GangStarr jazzmataz albums, really chilled out rap with old Jazz beats. Really cool.

Cheers for that. Listened to a bit of Jurassic 5 before but not in a while. Added some of their stuff to get re-aquatinted.

As controversial as they were NWA! [emoji85]still up there for me with some of their tunes!

BroxburnHibee
12-05-2019, 03:41 PM
Can't believe Stone Roses haven't had a mention. :greengrin

lord bunberry
12-05-2019, 05:59 PM
I’ve been listening to Altered Images a fair bit recently. It’s better than I remember first time around.

Pete
12-05-2019, 08:32 PM
For some reason, I found myself listening to the Stereophonics' "Performance and Cocktails" today - I forgot just how bloody good that is, cover to cover (and I'm not a huge Phonics' fan).

A belter of an album. In your face from the off is the way I’d describe it.

Hats off to the buskers by the View and In Utero by Nirbana are getting played just now.

patch1875
12-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Word Gets Around is much better I think.

marinello59
12-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Just bought the Giles Martin revamped version of The Beatles White album. He really did an amazing job.

WeeRussell
13-05-2019, 12:03 PM

Both cracking albums, with WGA probably edging it for me. Like a lot of decent bands... the first 2 miles ahead of anything afterwards.

Mixu62
14-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Stumbled upon some old Goldfrapp stuff on Spotify this week. Strict Machine is still a brilliant track.

Mixu62
14-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Stumbled upon some old Goldfrapp stuff on Spotify this week. Strict Machine is still a brilliant track.

wpj
14-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Just reopend boxes of vinyl after they were in storage. I am amazed at how many albums I bought again on CD thinking they were lost. A lot have been through the years though. Singles too.

Aldo
14-05-2019, 08:16 PM

Agreed.

Some signs of WGA in their recent song Chaos from the Top down!

Was at their gig in the assembly rooms when they toured with that album. Sure the bouncing crowd damaged the floor and Ceiling of the room below!

Onceinawhile
14-05-2019, 09:00 PM

Dj guru?????

You mean guru 👍👍 the Dj was Dj premier.

J5 are good, but not 100% on them. Too much filler. Nwa hugely over rated Imo.

If we're going older hip hop.

Midnight marauders by atcq, or blackstarr by mos def and talib kweli.

Squealing pig
14-05-2019, 11:42 PM
Pigeon detectives

Dalianwanda
15-05-2019, 07:38 AM
This morning had Penthouse & Pavement on by Heaven 17 playing during my run......Seems kinda relevant now

Added more to the playlist here (https://open.spotify.com/user/1165237717/playlist/1GquHScfSrRci0HuddxEkg?si=GQnSE45vQAuE1WthE41ARA)

patch1875
15-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Terence Trent Darby - Introducing the Hardline

Revisiting this over 30yo still sounds great.

WeeRussell
15-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Steve Earle - guitar town :cb

MagicSwirlingShip
15-05-2019, 02:11 PM
Morcheeba - Big Calm getting blasted in the sun today.

wpj
15-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Dj guru?????

You mean guru 👍👍 the Dj was Dj premier.

J5 are good, but not 100% on them. Too much filler. Nwa hugely over rated Imo.

If we're going older hip hop.

Midnight marauders by atcq, or blackstarr by mos def and talib kweli.

It was Guru I added the prefix in error. It's two studio albums with loads of samples

patch1875
18-05-2019, 03:23 PM
The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland

Greencore
18-05-2019, 09:50 PM
Van Halen's second album and motley crue - Dr feel good album

Dalianwanda
22-05-2019, 06:11 AM
Was listening to a great interview on the WTF podcast with Adam & Mike D......So currently working my way through Beastie Boys back catalogue....Paul’s Boutique at the mo.

They’re just great..

Sylar
22-05-2019, 08:36 PM
I've been in a pretty nihilistic mood the past few days, so I've reverted to a little bit of British-fuelled rage:

Architects - Lost Forever//Lost Together

The opening track is just pure release.

The_Exile
24-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Morcheeba - Big Calm getting blasted in the sun today.

My joint favourite album along with Grace by Jeff Buckley. Sublime sounds.

MagicSwirlingShip
24-05-2019, 11:42 AM
My joint favourite album along with Grace by Jeff Buckley. Sublime sounds.

Aye, I hadn’t put it on in a while. Made for a splendid sunny day

patch1875
26-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Working my way through Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry back catalogue amazing albums.

Ronniekirk
27-05-2019, 08:51 AM
Working my way through Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry back catalogue amazing albums.

Saw him last year at Kelvin grove park outdoor gig Great band and voice still strong
Only saw them once at the Apollo promoting thier Avalon Album which has some great tracks on it

ac1
29-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Van Morrison - 'Veedon Fleece'

Ronniekirk
29-05-2019, 10:12 PM
Van Morrison - 'Veedon Fleece'

Who was that masked man and Bulbs are great tracks Not one of his top ten albums for me though

MagicSwirlingShip
30-05-2019, 01:17 AM
Who was that masked man and Bulbs are great tracks Not one of his top ten albums for me though

Cul De Sac is a favourite of mine. Love a bit of Van the Man

ac1
30-05-2019, 06:52 AM

There’s an alternative take of Cul De Sac on YouTube that is one of my favourite tracks ever. Only 2 and a half minutes long but it’s a classic. Fair play that starts the album is another favourite

Ronniekirk
30-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Seen him more than any other artist The Hughs and the lows
Best high Any one of the shows when he played the Live At SanFransisco Album with Brian Kennedy singing some parts van couldn’t teach and some great Blues artists on tour with him
Low When he sang Judy Collins Bring in the Clowns
Band wasn’t great and he said the line
Bring in the clowns and walked off saying don’t worry there here and that was it Show over lol

Ronniekirk
30-05-2019, 10:18 AM
There’s an alternative take of Cul De Sac on YouTube that is one of my favourite tracks ever. Only 2 and a half minutes long but it’s a classic. Fair play that starts the album is another favourite

Will check it out

MrRobot
30-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected?

MagicSwirlingShip
30-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Seen him more than any other artist The Hughs and the lows
Best high Any one of the shows when he played the Live At SanFransisco Album with Brian Kennedy singing some parts van couldn’t teach and some great Blues artists on tour with him
Low When he sang Judy Collins Bring in the Clowns
Band wasn’t great and he said the line
Bring in the clowns and walked off saying don’t worry there here and that was it Show over lol

Haha awesome. He truly is an enigma. We seen him in the Kelvingrove Bandstand the other summer and he was magic.

Ronniekirk
31-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Haha awesome. He truly is an enigma. We seen him in the Kelvingrove Bandstand the other summer and he was magic.

Was at that as well He wandered through a door playing his harmonica mumbling Help Me
I thought he was away for a pee But it soon became clear he had vacated the Bandstand and left the band to do their own thing and finish the show

MagicSwirlingShip
31-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Was at that as well He wandered through a door playing his harmonica mumbling Help Me
I thought he was away for a pee But it soon became clear he had vacated the Bandstand and left the band to do their own thing and finish the show

Haha aye that’s right, he was probably back in the hotel before anyone realised he was gone.

Hiber-nation
31-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Listening to Nils Lofgren's early stuff with Grin before he made it big. First time I've heard it for ages and still sounds great, far better than his solo stuff IMO.