PDA

View Full Version : Relegation from the English Football League

Hibernia&Alba
30-04-2019, 02:13 PM
I didn't realise Yeovil had been relegated from League Two. What's the story there? They fought their way up to the Championship but have been falling like a stone in the past few years, and now they are back to non-league football. Have they had money problems?

Also Notts County are on the brink of relegation. It would be a sad day if the oldest professional club in the world was to be relegated from the Football League. They need to win their final game and hope Macclesfield lose.

Haymaker
30-04-2019, 02:24 PM
If the town of yeovil actually supported yeovil they'd be alright.

Renfrew_Hibby
30-04-2019, 03:37 PM
If the town of yeovil actually supported yeovil they'd be alright.

Yeah, Yeovil probably has more people that travel to see Man Yoo than attend Yeovil Town games.

I went right off Yeovil when after famously being giants of the non leagues, they went from a Hibs style strip to a Celtic style one the moment they finally became a senior league side.

As for Notts County, I think they are doomed sadly. One of the founding twelve clubs of the football league, a club that should have gone on to have a glorious history but it never happened, nobody knows why. One FA cup is all they have I think.

Hopefully they bounce back soon and get up the leagues as they are a team I've always looked out for.

Paisley Hibby
01-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Yeah, Yeovil probably has more people that travel to see Man Yoo than attend Yeovil Town games.

I went right off Yeovil when after famously being giants of the non leagues, they went from a Hibs style strip to a Celtic style one the moment they finally became a senior league side.

As for Notts County, I think they are doomed sadly. One of the founding twelve clubs of the football league, a club that should have gone on to have a glorious history but it never happened, nobody knows why. One FA cup is all they have I think.

Hopefully they bounce back soon and get up the leagues as they are a team I've always looked out for.
Anorak alert🧐 Interesting that of the 12 founding members of the English Football League, 11 are still in existence and playing in the first 4 tiers. But of the 11 founding members of the Scottish Football League only 5 have survived (Celtic, Dumbarton, Hearts, Rangers and St Mirren).

Tynie01011973
01-05-2019, 07:46 PM
Anorak alert🧐 Interesting that of the 12 founding members of the English Football League, 11 are still in existence and playing in the first 4 tiers. But of the 11 founding members of the Scottish Football League only 5 have survived (Celtic, Dumbarton, Hearts, Rangers and St Mirren).

Rangers haven't survived. They died in 2012 👍

HoboHarry
01-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Correct.

The Baldmans Comb
02-05-2019, 04:09 AM

Rangers were liquidated in 2012 and a reformed club was placed in the bottom tier of Scottish football.

They have made their way back to the higher level of the SPL but have had limited cup success.

Steve20
02-05-2019, 05:24 AM

Strange. Wonder who we play this weekend then. Says Rangers on the official Hibs website.

makaveli1875
02-05-2019, 06:05 AM
Strange. Wonder who we play this weekend then. Says Rangers on the official Hibs website.

Were playing sevco this weekend

LancsHibs
02-05-2019, 06:21 AM

A coincidence, there was a club with a similar name who were a founding member of the Scottish league. Exactly like the Accrington in the English league are not the same club who were one of the founding members.😙

Lancs Harp
02-05-2019, 06:38 AM
A coincidence, there was a club with a similar name who were a founding member of the Scottish league. Exactly like the Accrington in the English league are not the same club who were one of the founding members.😙

Very true. Stanley Villa were around at the same time time as Founding members Accrington but not the same club. They were based at the Stanley Arms in Stanley Street hence their name. When Accrington went bust Stanley added the name of the town and dropped the Villa bit to their name to become Accrington Stanley. Accrington Stanley themselves went bust in the mis 60s and reformed in the late 60s to the present day Accrington Stanley.

Hibernia&Alba
04-05-2019, 05:31 PM
I feel very sorry for Notts County. It's sad to see the oldest professional club in the world relegated from the football league.

What a rollercoaster Yeovil have been on. From non-league to the Championship and now back to non-league.

Paisley Hibby
04-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Nice one. I'm usually pretty quick to point that out to other folk 😂

Mind you, if we REALLY believed that then we'd also have to accept that we've only won the Scottish Cup twice 🙄

jgl07
05-05-2019, 12:52 AM
I didn't realise Yeovil had been relegated from League Two. What's the story there? They fought their way up to the Championship but have been falling like a stone in the past few years, and now they are back to non-league football. Have they had money problems?

Also Notts County are on the brink of relegation. It would be a sad day if the oldest professional club in the world was to be relegated from the Football League. They need to win their final game and hope Macclesfield lose.
It's no big deal in England to be relegated from the EFL to the National League. There are opportunities to be promoted back up. Teams like Luton Town, Bristol Rovers, and Lincoln City have left the EFL and come back stronger.

Yeovil spent most of their history outside the Football League. I am sure that they will cope well and may return soon.

stu in nottingham
05-05-2019, 01:01 PM
It's good to see that many true football fans can recognise the sadness in the situation of Notts County being relegated from the Football League yesterday. The ending of 130 consecutive years in the League, which they were a founding member of. Notts having been in existence for 157 long years.

Living here, I've taken the opportunity to attend Meadow Lane quite regularly this season (and Forest too) and observed this absolutely disastrous season unfold. Most would apportion much of the blame to Chairman, Alan Hardy, a local businessman who bought the club 30 months ago. An attention seeking, somewhat egotistical figure, he has in the past few months presided over not only the demise of Notts County but also his largest company, Paragon, leaving a redundant, unpaid workforce and a trail of creditors including many smaller sub-contractors.

Earlier this year he added to the circus by inadvertently posting a picture of his genitals in a Tweet. Yes, you did read that right, he left his phone’s camera roll on the image he posted. Prior to that he was prosecuted for speeding at 77mph in a 40mph area which he continually griped about in the media and actually appealed against.

Sacking two managers earlier in the season, (the first one widely reported as being allegedly heavily on the sauce) he panicked and sanctioned the signing of several players in January for third Manager, Ardley. The problem is that around 80% of the Manager’s choices did not want to sign for the Magpies due to their perilous position and also because by now many agents refused to deal with Notts due to previous non-payment.

Neil Ardley has struggled with an almost impossible situation since his appointment in November. He’s shown himself to be a good, honourable and decent man though naturally has had much of the blame set on his shoulders. The club’s supporters have been magnificent in their support, turning up in average numbers of 7,300 at home, the third highest in the division.

I’m not a Notts or Forest supporter, I’m 100 per cent Hibs but I enjoy the local teams here doing well and creating a vibrant sporting culture in the city I live in. Notts County meant a great deal to my late mum’s brothers for many years. We know how this works in football, these are the ties that bind, through the generations.

At this time there is said to be a takeover in process by a South African consortium. The truth of that is subject to some doubt though. It would not be overly dramatic to say that the whole club’s future lies in the balance. Things will be tough on the field too, there have been some notable successes of teams leaving the Football League and returning stronger, Luton, Lincoln and Mansfield etc. but there are many more that have stayed in obscurity, almost fatally wounded.

Congratulations to Macclesfield on their hard fought survival, they deserved it. I do feel incredibly sad for Notts County’s supporters though after the darkest day in their long history. A little piece of my family background just disappeared with it.

SJNB Hibby
05-05-2019, 01:14 PM
It's good to see that many true football fans can recognise the sadness in the situation of Notts County being relegated from the Football League yesterday. The ending of 130 consecutive years in the League, which they were a founding member of. Notts having been in existence for 157 long years.

Living here, I've taken the opportunity to attend Meadow Lane quite regularly this season (and Forest too) and observed this absolutely disastrous season unfold. Most would apportion much of the blame to Chairman, Alan Hardy, a local businessman who bought the club 30 months ago. An attention seeking, somewhat egotistical figure, he has in the past few months presided over not only the demise of Notts County but also his largest company, Paragon, leaving a redundant, unpaid workforce and a trail of creditors including many smaller sub-contractors.

Earlier this year he added to the circus by inadvertently posting a picture of his genitals in a Tweet. Yes, you did read that right, he left his phone’s camera roll on the image he posted. Prior to that he was prosecuted for speeding at 77mph in a 40mph area which he continually griped about in the media and actually appealed against.
Sacking two managers earlier in the season, (the first one widely reported as being allegedly heavily on the sauce) he panicked and sanctioned the signing of several players in January for third Manager, Ardley. The problem is that around 80% of the Manager’s choices did not want to sign for the Magpies due to their perilous position and also because by now many agents refused to deal with Notts due to previous non-payment.

Neil Ardley has struggled with an almost impossible situation since his appointment in November. He’s shown himself to be a good, honourable and decent man though naturally has had much of the blame set on his shoulders. The club’s supporters have been magnificent in their support, turning up in average numbers of 7,300 at home, the third highest in the division.

I’m not a Notts or Forest supporter, I’m 100 per cent Hibs but I enjoy the local teams here doing well and creating a vibrant sporting culture in the city I live in. Notts County meant a great deal to my late mum’s brothers for many years. We know how this works in football, these are the ties that bind, through the generations.

At this time there is said to be a takeover in process by a South African consortium. The truth of that is subject to some doubt though. It would not be overly dramatic to say that the whole club’s future lies in the balance. Things will be tough on the field too, there have been some notable successes of teams leaving the Football League and returning stronger, Luton, Lincoln and Mansfield etc. but there are many more that have stayed in obscurity, almost fatally wounded.

Congratulations to Macclesfield on their hard fought survival, they deserved it. I do feel incredibly sad for Notts County’s supporters though after the darkest day in their long history. A little piece of my family background just disappeared with it.

I Wasnt hoping County would get relegated, but I WAS hoping Macclesfield would stay up due to Sol Campbells situation. Franky Lumpolard gets Derby, Stevie G waltzes into Greyskull, but Sol Campbell spent years applying for jobs, and all he gets is a club 7 points adrift at the bottom of the League, and he manages to save them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6992649/Macclesfield-Town-1-1-Cambridge-United-Sol-Campbells-men-stay-up.html

stu in nottingham
05-05-2019, 01:16 PM
I Wasnt hoping County would get relegated, but I WAS hoping Macclesfield would stay up due to Sol Campbells situation. Franky Lumpolard gets Derby, Stevie G waltzes into Greyskull, but Sol Campbell spent years applying for jobs, and all he gets is a club 7 points adrift at the bottom of the League, and he manages to save them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6992649/Macclesfield-Town-1-1-Cambridge-United-Sol-Campbells-men-stay-up.html.

Can't disagree with you. He's done a very good job in instilling some grit there and making them hard to beat. I think he now deserves a crack at a bigger job.

Hibernia&Alba
05-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Good post, mate. I hope Notts County can be one of the clubs that can return to the football league stronger, but, as you say, others have found themselves sinking into obscurity. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for them. As the oldest professional club in the world, it would be good to see them rejuvenated.