PDA

View Full Version : Hearts v Killie - what do we want now

MacGruber
29-04-2019, 10:50 AM
The Rangers will be big favourites at Ibrox. Not to say we are incapable of getting a point or even the 3, we are unbeaten in 10 in the league including 2 derbys and Celtic. However.... on the assumption the bookies get this one right and we get beat at Ibrox.. in that scenario what do we want from the Hearts game.

A Hearts win would put them level with us and in a fight for 5th place however keeps 4th alive

A Killie win would all but secure them 4th but should see us 5th and finish above Hearts..

A draw might be best

?

Speedy
29-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Hearts win

Diclonius
29-04-2019, 10:54 AM
Hearts win 100%. They'll still be below us with games against Celtic and Aberdeen to go and we'll still be in with a shot at 4th whatever happens at Ibrox.

matty_f
29-04-2019, 11:02 AM
The Rangers will be big favourites at Ibrox. Not to say we are incapable of getting a point or even the 3, we are unbeaten in 10 in the league including 2 derbys and Celtic. However.... on the assumption the bookies get this one right and we get beat at Ibrox.. in that scenario what do we want from the Hearts game.

A Hearts win would put them level with us and in a fight for 5th place however keeps 4th alive

A Killie win would all but secure them 4th but should see us 5th and finish above Hearts..

A draw might be best

?

The unbeaten run also includes 2 against Rangers, I think?

Hearts winning would be better for us, I can't see it though.

Since452
29-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Killie win. Hearts are only 3 points behind us.

Hibernian Verse
29-04-2019, 11:06 AM

What a ridiculous comment. Who cares where they are, we are looking up the table and need Killie to lose all remaining games with us winning 2/3.

Carheenlea
29-04-2019, 11:12 AM
If we want to catch Kilmarnock we need to hope Hearts can beat them next weekend. Our task is much tougher at Ibrox, but with Killie having ourselves to play the following week before facing Rangers for final game, it could still be done even if we lose at Ibrox. Has to start with a Hearts win though as uncomfortable as that sense of willing them on is going to be.

cabbageandribs1875
29-04-2019, 11:14 AM

imo yesterday has made it very difficult for 4th, but if killie win we then have no chance of catching them, and at the moment we're still 20 goals better off than heartz should they draw level with us

last season was quite eye-opening reading on here some(just a few admittedly) hibs fans wanting aberdeen to beat heartz in the run-in, even though it meant we would then toil to catch aberdeen, some just hate heartz more than they love hibs i guess :greengrin

davhibby
29-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Hearts win all day long. Then if we could pick up a point at ibrox 4th would be in our own hands.

HibeeHibernian4
29-04-2019, 11:27 AM

And this post right here is why some of us warn about defining Hibs around Hearts.

Carheenlea
29-04-2019, 11:33 AM
There can be no logical reasoning for anyone to wish for a Kilmarnock win against Hearts.

we are hibs
29-04-2019, 11:36 AM
There can be no logical reasoning for anyone to wish for a Kilmarnock win against Hearts.

Apart from the fact we won't catch Killie.

matty_f
29-04-2019, 11:37 AM

Can you tell me what the scores will be so I can get a coupon on, please?

Sir David Gray
29-04-2019, 11:41 AM
On the assumption we lose at Ibrox we need Hearts to get something in order for 4th still to be possible. If Kilmarnock win and we lose, we'll be 7 points behind with 2 games left.

That's why we really needed to win yesterday. I personally can't see us finishing higher than 5th now.

500miles
29-04-2019, 11:57 AM
The game has no score draw written all over it.

Diclonius
29-04-2019, 11:59 AM
On the assumption we lose at Ibrox we need Hearts to get something in order for 4th still to be possible. If Kilmarnock win and we lose, we'll be 7 points behind with 2 games left.

That's why we really needed to win yesterday. I personally can't see us finishing higher than 5th now.

If the worst doesn't happen at the weekend and we go into a game away at Rugby Park 4-5 points behind Kilmarnock, then a win means we go to the final day with us at home in an entirely winnable game against Aberdeen, whilst they probably have to get a win at Ibrox.

If the split wasn't so self-contained then yeah, fair enough. But the nature of our games means we still have everything to play for.

B.H.F.C
29-04-2019, 12:05 PM
I don’t fancy our chances of getting much at Ibrox so any result that means we go to Rugby Park with the opportunity still to catch them is fine by me.

wookie70
29-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Hearts win and no idea how anyone could want anything else. It would be nice to come out of this weekends fixtures knowing two wins would likely give us 4th spot and maybe even an outside chance of 3rd

Keith_M
29-04-2019, 12:06 PM
A boring, 0-0 draw.

Keith_M
29-04-2019, 12:10 PM
I don’t fancy our chances of getting much at Ibrox so any result that means we go to Rugby Park with the opportunity still to catch them is fine by me.

We've played The Rangers three times this season and are still unbeaten.

I know, we haven't won either, but my point still stands :)

B.H.F.C
29-04-2019, 12:11 PM
We've played The Rangers three times this season and are still unbeaten.

Aware of that. They’re in good form and we’re sttuggling to put the ball in the net against the better sides in the league. I think we’re due a defeat.

lyonhibs
29-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Cannot bring myself to want a Hearts win so a turgid draw with a few niggly 3 week injuries for Killie would be fine.

Bostonhibby
29-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Hearts win but I can't see killie failing to finish them off.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
29-04-2019, 12:14 PM
If the worst doesn't happen at the weekend and we go into a game away at Rugby Park 4-5 points behind Kilmarnock, then a win means we go to the final day with us at home in an entirely winnable game against Aberdeen, whilst they probably have to get a win at Ibrox.

If the split wasn't so self-contained then yeah, fair enough. But the nature of our games means we still have everything to play for.

Their last game is at Rugby park on their 150th anniversary with Rangers only getting one stand so a game they will fancy winning against Rangers.

Wilson
29-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Hearts win and no idea how anyone could want anything else. It would be nice to come out of this weekends fixtures knowing two wins would likely give us 4th spot and maybe even an outside chance of 3rd

Because it is at Tynecastle I could actually see it being a home win. A 1-0 probably in typical jammy fashion.

Killie are holding their own but are not the side of earlier in the season.

I think it will be game on on both fronts. The battle for 4th and to stay above hearts.

Hopefully it goes on right to the wire.

Keith_M
29-04-2019, 12:24 PM
Because it is at Tynecastle I could actually see it being a home win. A 1-0 probably in typical jammy fashion.

Killie are holding their own but are not the side of earlier in the season.

I think it will be game on on both fronts. The battle for 4th and to stay above hearts.

Hopefully it goes on right to the wire.

It would be nice but I think yesterday's result killed off any chance of Europe.

Liberal Hibby
29-04-2019, 12:36 PM
The way the fixture list is scheduled is helpful for us. Celtic can wrap up the title with a draw at Pittodrie on Saturday lunchtime (obviously if the Dons do turn up for once and get a result it may be a bit different) - which means when we play at Ibrox on Sunday it's a nothing game for them as they are guaranteed second.

Hearts win on Saturday and Hibs win (or draw) on Sunday and it's on...

SJNB Hibby
29-04-2019, 12:43 PM
The way the fixture list is scheduled is helpful for us. Celtic can wrap up the title with a draw at Pittodrie on Saturday lunchtime (obviously if the Dons do turn up for once and get a result it may be a bit different) - which means when we play at Ibrox on Sunday it's a nothing game for them as they are guaranteed second.

Hearts win on Saturday and Hibs win (or draw) on Sunday and it's on...

This

Diclonius
29-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Their last game is at Rugby park on their 150th anniversary with Rangers only getting one stand so a game they will fancy winning against Rangers.

Ah yeah, right enough. Still a tough game though.

danhibees1875
29-04-2019, 12:49 PM
A draw should as good as make no difference in terms of catching Killie (unless our GD takes a gubbing at Ibrox) I think - so in that case, a draw. Failing that a hearts win seems the preferred outcome - catching Killie for 4th makes a bigger difference to the season than finishing 5th rather than 6th. May as well go for it.

I admire the extent of your hatred of hearts if nothing else.

If memory serves me correctly, I think you had only just got over everyone wanting hearts to win last year at this time too. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2019, 01:10 PM
It has to be a Hearts win. Making Europe is far more important than finishing above the Gorgie gunts, but we have the comfort blanket that if Killie do win there's little to no chance of the Yams finishing above us.

Having watched Hearts yesterday and Killie a few weeks ago I would say that Killie are a far superior side and well capable of winning at the Rust Arena. But this is Hearts we are talking about and its tough for decent sides to play the way they want on their postage stamp sized pitch, especially against Levin's cloggers.

I hate to say it, but the last two times Sevco have visited Easter Road they have been the better team by some way especially in the last encounter, they could and should have been 3 - 0 up at half time. Ibrox is going to be incredible tough for us and IMHO getting a draw would be a fantastic effort …. a win would be out of this world.

If Killie lose and we could get a draw that leaves us 3 points behind them going into the game at Rugby park. The current goal difference is Hibs plus 15 and Killie plus 16 … but Hibs have scored more so if we finished level on GD we would have the upper hand, even if it went to head to head it would be a win and a draw each. In that case if we were to draw at Rugby Park we would go into the Aberdeen game 3 points behind with us beating Aberdeen and Killie losing to Sevco on the last day giving us 4th place. If Killie do beat Hearts and we lose at Ibrox we simply have to win at Rugby Park to have any chance.

NOTE …. Our GD on Hearts is vastly superior, we are in effect 4 points in front of them as it stands.

All we can hope for is to get to the last day with a win against Aberdeen needed to give us a chance …. that at least would add some real excitement to the final day and hopefully guarantee a sell out, or close to it.

Since452
29-04-2019, 01:21 PM
And this post right here is why some of us warn about defining Hibs around Hearts.

I'd rather secure 5th first

Jim44
29-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Quite a few Jambos are hoping for a Killie win. :rolleyes:

Andy.1875
29-04-2019, 01:50 PM
All the talk about 4th place is great but means nothing if Hearts actually manage to beat Celtic in the cup!
Need 3rd to be sure of Europe.

Onceinawhile
29-04-2019, 01:59 PM
All the talk about 4th place is great but means nothing if Hearts actually manage to beat Celtic in the cup!

Aye, but it's better to finish 4th than 5th....

Hearts to win for me. We will pick up our usual 3 points at ibrox and really narrow the gap. The draw there earlier in the season was just an aberration.

hibbyfraelibby
29-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Look up not down...we need Killie and Aberdeen to lose all their remaining games if we have any hope of Europe.

Hibbeejohn
29-04-2019, 04:35 PM
I don't think we can rely on Rangers treating the match on Sunday as a 'nothing game' since he has made it crystal clear over the last few days that quite a few first-team squad players are playing for their future up to the end of the season. That said, I believe we are perfectly capable of at least a draw at Ibrox and that, coupled with a Hearts win over Killie, sets us up for an intetesting day out in Ayrshire.

Carheenlea
29-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Would just be like the thing for us to finish with a bang, claim 4th, then Hearts hoof one the full length of Hampden and scramble a late winner to scupper it all.

Billy Whizz
29-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Would just be like the thing for us to finish with a bang, claim 4th, then Hearts hoof one the full length of Hampden and scramble a late winner to scupper it all.

Unthinkable

HFC93
29-04-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm genuinely not sure. Feel like drawing on Sunday means Europe is realistically gone. But fair play to Hecky that we are even discussing this because I was looking down before he arrived.

Captain Trips
29-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Hearts win and we beat Sevco, easy. Whats all the fuss its Sevco not Real Madrid they will get a pumping.

HibeeHibernian4
29-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Working out some permutations, and here's what I've come up with. I think third has all but gone now, so I'm going to write that off. Let's look at how we can catch Killie in fourth in a way that's realistic. Obviously, if Hibs came out and won all three games, it would be both fantastic and give us a very, very good chance of overtaking them. But it's unlikely to happen, so:

Sat, Hearts - Kilmarnock: draw
Sun, Rangers - Hibs: draw

4. Kilmarnock 59
5. Hibs 55
6. Hearts 52

Sat 11th, Kilmarnock - Hibs: we win

4. Kilmarnock 59
5. Hibs 58

Sun 19th, Hibs - Aberdeen: we win
Same day, Kilmarnock - Rangers: draw

4. Hibs 61
5. Kilmarnock 60

Alternatively...

Sat, Hearts - Kilmarnock: draw
Sun, Rangers - Hibs: Rangers win by one or two goals

4. Kilmarnock 59 +16
5. Hibs 54 +14/13
6. Hearts 52

Sat 11th, Kilmarnock - Hibs: we win

4. Kilmarnock 59 +15
5. Hibs 57 +15/14

Sun 19th, Hibs - Aberdeen: we win
Same day, Kilmarnock - Rangers: Draw (or a Rangers win)

4. Hibs 60 +16/17
5. Kilmarnock 60 +15

Come Saturday we'll have a much better idea, but if that does end in a draw, then we could afford to lose at Ibrox and fourth would still be very doable, but we would have to win both our games at Kilmarnock and at home to Aberdeen. A lot easier said than done, granted.

Wakeyhibee
29-04-2019, 06:13 PM
Hearts to lose the final, Hibs to win remaining 3 games, the rest is out of our hands.

The latter probably won't happen but a Killie/Hearts draw isn't the end of the world. In that we can still get 4th if we do win 2, draw 1 and stay above Hearts if not.

I'm just glad we're still able to talk this way with 3 games to go.

TheHarpy76
30-04-2019, 07:48 AM

So we should be more worried about Hearts catching us than us catching Killie?

Don’t be daft!

calumhibee1
30-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Hearts to win by a few please.

coldingham hibs
30-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Really cannot see us beating Killie on the Astro at Rugby Park. Best I think we would get is a draw. Therefore I’d prefer worst case to finish above Hearts so I’ll go for a Killie win or draw.

HibeeHibernian4
30-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Really cannot see us beating Killie on the Astro at Rugby Park. Best I think we would get is a draw. Therefore I’d prefer worst case to finish above Hearts so I’ll go for a Killie win or draw.

Won 3-0 there at the beginning of Clarke's reign, after he had got draws at both Ibrox and Parkhead. Admittedly we rode our luck a bit, but it's not impossible.

19Leith75
30-04-2019, 12:20 PM
What stage would we enter Europe if we did manage the unthinkable? Probably start the season again in early July!

we are hibs
30-04-2019, 02:04 PM
What stage would we enter Europe if we did manage the unthinkable? Probably start the season again in early July!

The same stage as last year if we finish 4th and Celtic win the cup so the 1st qualifying round (11th July 1st leg)

Hibeewilly
30-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Hearts to win by a few please.
Without question.....just don't get why some folk don't want us to get into Europe.....strange

Since452
30-04-2019, 05:37 PM
I'll get pelters for this but Europe severely hampers the season. Hibs and Aberdeen suffered badly for it this season. Players dont get a proper pre season which ends up with players getting injured especially if travel is involved. I know the league cup group stages are an early start but thats a doddle compared to the Europa League. Qualifying for Europe is great but you end up miles behind teams like Hearts and Livingston at the start. Not saying i don't want us to get into Europe but if we dont i bet we have a brilliant season next season.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Without question.....just don't get why some folk don't want us to get into Europe.....strange

I want us to get Europe , But i will never EVER want hearts to win a game of tiddly winks never mind football.

I certainly won't be rooting for a hearts win at the weekend , If that makes me a bad man then so be it

Feel dirty wanting hearts to win

Captain Trips
30-04-2019, 05:46 PM
I do not give a toss were Hearts finish I only care about what is best for Hibs and that is getting that bit extra by making 4th. If Hearts beating Kille helps then great and I am in no way shape or form concerned about being able to beat Sevco. I can go back to hoping Hearts lose right after Killie game.

Sammy7nil
30-04-2019, 05:47 PM
I want us to get Europe , But i will never EVER want hearts to win a game of tiddly winks never mind football.

I certainly won't be rooting for a hearts win at the weekend , If that makes me a bad man then so be it

You are a bad person :wink::greengrin

HibbyAndy
30-04-2019, 05:49 PM
You are a bad person :wink::greengrin

:greengrin

iwasthere1972
30-04-2019, 06:03 PM

C'mon the Jambos. :greengrin

Glory Lurker
30-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Killie defeat, please.

HibeeHibernian4
30-04-2019, 06:13 PM

In a very extreme example, this wouldn't extend to wanting Hearts to lose even if them beating, say, Celtic meant us winning the league?

I know they'd probably roll over and let Celtic beat them, but just for argument's sake.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2019, 06:22 PM
In a very extreme example, this wouldn't extend to wanting Hearts to lose even if them beating, say, Celtic meant us winning the league?

I know they'd probably roll over and let Celtic beat them, but just for argument's sake.

Hypothetical question , It would be in our hands , Not relying on Hertz ;-)

Eyrie
30-04-2019, 06:59 PM
I'll get pelters for this but Europe severely hampers the season. Hibs and Aberdeen suffered badly for it this season. Players dont get a proper pre season which ends up with players getting injured especially if travel is involved. I know the league cup group stages are an early start but thats a doddle compared to the Europa League. Qualifying for Europe is great but you end up miles behind teams like Hearts and Livingston at the start. Not saying i don't want us to get into Europe but if we dont i bet we have a brilliant season next season.
I was talking with a Sevco fan this morning who feels the same way about Europe. He'd rather they go out after a couple of rounds so they can focus on trying to stop a "declining" Celtc winning the league yet again instead of the draining Europa Cup group stages.

Personally I'd rather play in Europe than in the group stages of the League Cup. Even two rounds gives us the same number of matches as the League Cup, the opposition are going to be new to us and it's financially beneficial. We're extremely unlikely to make the group stages so the extra games aren't an issue.

HibeeHibernian4
30-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Not giving you pelters, it's a legitimate opinion to hold and fair enough for having it.

My only question is this, what would European football, in your opinion, stop us from achieving? 4th? 3rd? 2nd?

While they would all be very good league finishes, they're not why I personally support Hibs.

The European trips, the memories that derive from them, the journeys with my pals, they've been a huge part of why supporting Hibs has been so fun down the years.

If you're telling me that I have to trade a few league places for experiencing more of those, then I'd bite your hand off for it. If we don't win the league or qualify for Europe, then I see no fundamental difference between 4th-10th that'd really affect my happiness of supporting Hibs. Apart from actually being Champions, the rest of it is largely irrelevant, if we're being nihilistic about it all for a moment.

Sir David Gray
30-04-2019, 08:14 PM

We'll start the season then even if we don't qualify for Europe as the group stages of the League Cup start on 13th/14th July.

The 1st leg of the 1st qualifying round of the Europa League is played on 11th July.

pacoluna
30-04-2019, 08:16 PM

You had guys wanting hearts to beat Celtic no that long ago!

Franck Stanton
30-04-2019, 11:40 PM

Well said that man My thoughts exactly. Who cares about what? Two games in Europe and papped out by some numpty wee team from the back of beyond. Nah, get a decent pre-season under our belt and get off to a flyer in the league cup and league.

danhibees1875
01-05-2019, 06:14 AM
Well said that man My thoughts exactly. Who cares about what? Two games in Europe and papped out by some numpty wee team from the back of beyond. Nah, get a decent pre-season under our belt and get off to a flyer in the league cup and league.

What good does that do us other than help us qualify for Europe next season? :dunno:

We'd get a by in the league cup group stage also. So as good progress as we can ask for.

I'd rather see us playing against teams like Asteras and Molde than Peterhead and Arbroath. Consistent qualification into Europe is what LD has said is the aim to get Hibs to the next level.

G B Young
01-05-2019, 09:20 AM
I'd rather not see Hearts gain any kind of confidence boost prior to the cup final, so a soul-sapping 0-0 would probably work best in terms of keeping their morale low while keeping our hopes of Europe alive.

BoomtownHibees
01-05-2019, 09:27 AM

What, have a brilliant season next season and erm, qualify for Europe??

HibeeHibernian4
01-05-2019, 09:59 AM
What, have a brilliant season next season and erm, qualify for Europe??

It's a bit of a catch 22, isn't it. :greengrin

Causewayside PR
01-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Hearts win all day long. Then if we could pick up a point at ibrox 4th would be in our own hands.

I agree with this. If the results fall that way then we could draw at Rugby Park and beat Aberdeen. IF (which is far from certain) Killie lose to Rangers then we will finish above them on goal difference.

Needs a lot to fall our way but very doable from a Hibs point of view.

Jones28
01-05-2019, 10:11 AM

It's a difference of a few hundred grand in prize money? A Hearts win would do me fine, dream scenario is both us and them to win, but we struggled against rangers last time at ER. However we looked decent against Celtic and if we can take one of the chances we create then we could just sneak it.